1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Karen2609

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Cath - hope you got through your drunk day ok! Talking of which I do miss having a good week on paclitaxel, although I haven't felt too bad I haven't felt back to normal either, and I'm missing having a glass of wine. Still like you say not long now. Take care and make sure you get as much rest as you need.

Shoes - hope you are ok, is the chemo affecting your breathing too? Sounds like you are really going through the mill, fingers crossed for you that you can complete all the treatment.

Berkshire Lass - hope you enjoyed your evening out and got to wear your new dress. Since my mastectomy I have so many clothes that I am unable to wear any longer. High necklines only for me now.

I for one am enjoying the autumnal days, good excuse to wrap up, put my hood up and hibernate.

Wishing you all a good weekend

Hugs, Karen x
BerkshireLass

CathC  Believe me nausea has been mentioned ad infinitum.  Hence all the meds.  Nausea is finally abating now (day 18) but feeling very "disconnected" from all meds.  Know what you mean about shakes and sluring though, sadly, not the euphoria!

Karen2609 Ironically I normally quite enjoy driving but at the moment would just end up wrapping the car around a tree!

Supposed to be going to a dinner dance this evening!  Not really up to galivanting, but hoping to go along and "show my face" for an hour or two.  Gives me an opportunity to wear a dress, which I bought before BC, that I suspect will be unwearable post-op so it might as well have one outing, however brief.

shoes220

Cath SE not to bad on my 3rd day got dry mouth which i find ice cold water helps.
I think that my copd is going to be much worse when i have finished my treatment as my breathing is not as good as it was before i started. but seeing the lung guy on the 22nd to see if he can help as i want to do the full 9 weeks if i can. i spend a lot of time standing in a room thinking what did i want too lol
CathC

BerkshireLass - I though everyone was joking about chemo brain until I started this treatment. It can be frightening the stupid things we're prone to do and yes, like you, wouldn't like to be driving too much when it gets really bad. Or using anything that could be classed as dangerous, like a pen or a cotton tip. lol

How's the nausea now? You should mention it to your doctor they can give you something for it. No need to suffer in silence.

Shoes, how's it going on the pacitaxol? You still getting horrible SE? Out of us all you seemed to have suffered the most with all the different treatments.

Sending you a huge hug. You can get through this!

As for the big pants comment I was either pulling on my big girl pants or I was telling Anna not to put hers over her tights, even if she is a Super Forum Coordinator. lol

Karen, can totally understand not wanting to jinx yourself. I did the same with my first FEC, thought I was going great guns until I ended up in hospital.

Like you, I suffer from a dry/yucky mouth. Only ice-cold things seem to help, but, as you say, not the worst SE to suffer from.

Stay well. We’re all another day closer to our goal.

Day 5 of 5th chemo. I’ve spent the last couple of days doing very little. I’m fine in the mornings but afternoons/evenings I’m just washed out. I’m so lucky my kids are grown, don’t know how some of you cope with young ones who need constant attention. My hat (or rather, scarf) is definitely off to you.

Today is what I call my drunk day. I get the shakes and slur my words and just want to sleep all day. It’s not as bad as it sounds, in some cases, as I’ve mentioned before, I can almost feel euphoric. I know, not a word usually aligned with chemo.

Here’s hoping all the lovely July ladies are out and about enjoying this lovely Autumn day.

Onwards and upwards ladies.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Ruby - glad to hear how you are feeling brighter as you move away from chemo. Must be a wonderful feeling , I can't wait. Hope all continues to go well with your herceptin.

Horseslave - I also get the raging pulse in my head, usually when I wake up in the early hours and can't get back off to sleep. Don't know what that is. Hope you start to feel a bit better soon. At least we are coming to the end of chemo.

Cath - I feel exactly the same about the chemo, in some ways it seems to have flown by but at other times it seems to be dragging on. I think these last few weeks are going to go really slowly. I'm a bit reticent to say I don't appear to be suffering from the paclitaxel as last time I said that about Docetaxol I ended up in hospital for a week! At the moment i just have a really dry mouth. I've been drinking loads of water, used Difflam and a saliva spray from the chemist but nothing seems to help. Still can't complain at the moment as could be much worse.

Hope you got chance to crash on the sofa this afternoon, it's times like this we just have to listen to our bodies and rest when we need it. Hope your hubby is keeping you supplied with cake.

Wendy - glad the hospital has provided you with some accommodation next week, 100 mile round trip is not what you need on s daily basis. Have you seen where you will be staying yet? Hopefully will give you chance to rest and recharge your batteries.

Berkshire Lass - I'm with you on not being too keen on driving at the moment. I only started driving late in life and am not confident at the best of times so I'm not venturing far at the moment. Chemo brain certainly has a lot to answer for.

Shoes - I'm at Southend too, but to be honest even when I was on 3 weekly Fec I was always at least an hour late going in. They haven't told me to ring before I leave home but I might do that as my next appointment is 2.30 again. What are the daily injections you are having? I haven't been given any since changing to paclitaxel and am slightly concerned that my white blood cells won't build up enough on their own. 2 sessions in and I'm feeling fine apart from the horrible mouth, I'm not feeling nearly as tired as with the Fec or docetaxol. How are you coping? You do seem to have been through the wars, hopefully paclitaxel will be a bit easier for you, you've been through so much but nearly there now.

Looking forward to the day when we have all finished our chemo and recovered from all the SE's, until then onwards and upwards

Karen xx

Anna_BCC

Everyone can manage how they would like to be kept in touch with what is happening on the forum.  If you click on your profile, which is in the top right hand corner of the home page and then select the Subscriptions and Notifications tab; underneath that is a highlighted clickable Notifications Settings.  Clicking on that will allow you to set how you want to be contacted by email, or not.

I hope this helps shoes220 and please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

shoes220

Concentration not good at the mo so if i forget anyone i am so sorry

Thanks for all the hugs and good wishes these really help to keep me going. nearly gave up with all the thing they keep finding wrong. My tummy has so many brusies from the injections i have to have and one a day for 6 months i dont think will give them time to heal up. Had my first tax yesterday and only 8 left to go.

Cathc i must have missed something big pants?

got to go be back later

shoes220

Glad to here your chemo is over and you are on a new path thanks for your wishes for the rest of us
shoes220

Karen 2609 same here maybe its because we are on weekly 1.30 appointment got in at 4 left at 7.30 so told to call 1 hour before next session then they will tell me how late they are running. I am at southend where do you go ?
shoes220

Anna Forum Coordinator could you stop my email reminders as dont get on the computer to often at the moment and they fill my inbox up. thankyou
shoes220

wow you sound so up beat hope all goes well
shoes220

Bershirelass you can put up with all those ses wow but i understand about the nausea why they reduce the sick meds they did that to me too but i am in day1 of pacitaxol weekly
BerkshireLass

Day 17 on 4th round (1st tax) and sickness more or less under control, though I still get queasy in the evenings.  Concentration has gone to pot, so even reading replies and comments on  here is really hard; I can't really focus on anything which gets a bit boring.  Certainly wouldn't want to be driving with all the meds I'm on!  Couldn't safely do a 1mile round trip at the moment let alone 100.

CathC

@WP23 wrote:
Hi Cath

You must have read before I edited, it is 100 miles lol, 1000 would be pushing it form the NHS!!!!! hahahahahah x

Phew! I was beginning to wonder.Smiley LOL

100 miles is plenty!

WP23

Hi Cath

You must have read before I edited, it is 100 miles lol, 1000 would be pushing it form the NHS!!!!! hahahahahah x
CathC

@WP23 wrote:

Morning July ladies

Cath - cold is still hanging around a little, last antibiotics yesterday so fingers crossed.
Day 7 of rads today, the hospital have organised some accommodation for me close to the hospital for most of next week, apparently if you live a good distance from the hospital you have to be offered accommodation or transport, but you have to ask and ask again if your hospital is not forthcoming! I am looking forward to a few days on my own and some peace and quiet, the 100 mile round trip every day will not be missed 🙂 we went on a cruise in 2012 and should have gone this September 😞 but had to cancel. Our time will come again though, once I have my Herceptin programme I will be planning lots :):)
You are really managing those SE's now, good for you, in 3 weeks time it will be done, the mountain climbed, and you will be looking out at the wonderful view :):):) x

Morning, Wendy

Can't believe the antibiotics haven't stomped that cold out by now. But good news on getting accommodation close to the hospital for your rads next week. Did I read your post right, 1000 miles round trip!!! I thought I was bad with a 90 mile round trip.

Enjoy the peace and quiet and dream of your next cruise.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Morning July ladies

Cath - cold is still hanging around a little, last antibiotics yesterday so fingers crossed.
Day 7 of rads today, the hospital have organised some accommodation for me close to the hospital for most of next week, apparently if you live a good distance from the hospital you have to be offered accommodation or transport, but you have to ask and ask again if your hospital is not forthcoming! I am looking forward to a few days on my own and some peace and quiet, the 100 mile round trip every day will not be missed 🙂 we went on a cruise in 2012 and should have gone this September 😞 but had to cancel. Our time will come again though, once I have my Herceptin programme I will be planning lots :):)
You are really managing those SE's now, good for you, in 3 weeks time it will be done, the mountain climbed, and you will be looking out at the wonderful view :):):) x

Hi Karen - getting out of chemo unit at 9pm!!?? that is a long day, hope the cold cap has worked and you have minimal SE's x

Hi Ruby - thanks for info re Herceptin, I suppose it is difficult when your having both chemo and Herceptin to distinguish SE's, hope you continue to be very well. I am just waiting for appointment for heart scan, and to see which trial group I am in - 6 months or 12 x

Horseslave - you poor thing, you do seem to suffer horrid SE's more than most. hope you are feeling better very soon x I was opposite to you, I was out of the house at every opportunity, couldn't stand being in:)

Hope all July ladies are ok, the end is near "big claps".

Take care and have the bestest weekend you can x

Wendy

CathC

Hi Karen

Sorry to hear your second paclitaxel session went on so long. 9pm is very late for getting home. Here's hoping no 3 goes much quicker.

I have just one more FEC to go, thanks for asking. Can’t believe I’m coming close to the end. In one way it seems to be going on forever, in another…it’s sped by so fast.

Are you having any SE’s from your paclitaxel?

Ruby - glad the herceptin injections are going well, and that you're feeling better now you're done with chemo.

Onwards and upward, huh? We are strong women, we can do this.

horseslave, I know what you mean by wanting to become a recluse. It's very hard to find the energy to do all things we did before. I know that my get-up-and-go has got up and gone, and it doesn’t look like it’s coming back any time soon.

Did you try some salt water on your mouth ulcer? If not, mention it to your doc, or even your dentist, see if you can get something stronger.

Hope the SE's pass soon.

Day 4 of 5th Chemo. Yesterday was a complete washout. I was ok in the morning, but come lunchtime I just crashed. Very achy and tired. I went for an afternoon nap and never got back up again. Good job hubby was about to make tea and generally be my dogsbody for the day – I shall have to think of something nice to do for him when all this is over. Spoil him for a bit.

This morning, I feel okay again. Mouth a bit grotty, but that’s par for the course. I do seem to have more energy in the mornings and run out of steam by lunchtime, but I can handle that. I shall just get all my ‘chores’ done early then I can relax in the evening.

Hope all the lovely July ladies are doing well.

Hugs to you all.

Cath

ruby44

Horseslave - I found salt water mouth washes the best thing for my mouth ulcers, 3-4 times a day. And yes, I was very much a house-bound bed bug for months. You'll come alive again when it's all over. Ruby xxx
ruby44

Hi Wendy

Herceptin injections have been absolutely fine. I don't think any of my SE's relate to them although I have had my first 4 at the same time as my chemo so a little difficult to distinguish what causes what!!!

Feeling a lot brighter now as each day passes and I move away from chemo.

To all you guys still having chemo - stay strong and steadily count each day as an achievement. You will get there and we'll all
be stronger women when it's all over.

Love Ruby x
Horseslave

Can't sleep. Day 9 I guess after FEC. Really bad hip pain? Whopping mouth ulcer, I popped bonjela on it. Wil difflan rinse tomorrow. All I can hear is a raging pulse in my head. Boom boom, so cannot sleep! I always get it when I am emerging from the effects of chemo around the day 8/9 stage. So wierd!

Is anyone else finding they are becoming a bit of a recluse. I don't want to go anywhere, do anything. No enthusiasm.
ruby44

Hi Wendy

Herceptin injections have been absolutely fine. I don't think any of my SE's relate to them although I have had my first 4 at the same time as my chemo so a little difficult to distinguish what causes what!!!

Feeling a lot brighter now as each day passes and I move away from chemo.

To all you guys still having chemo - stay strong and steadily count each day as an achievement. You will get there and we'll all
be stronger women when it's all over.

Love Ruby x
Karen2609

Cath - Can't quite remember, how many FEC have you got left. Is it just the one???😄. Well done you, so very nearly there. Sounds like you have the SE's under control this time, hope you are feeling ok and will soon be able to manage some cake!

Wendy - Well done you too, so nearly finished the rads. You must be really looking forward to that bottle of champagne, not long now. Hope you enjoy your weekend, a cruise sounds wonderful I'm sure you will be really tempted. Wouldn't it be lovely to have our old lives back and be able to book a holiday with barely a second thought.

Hi Lilac55 - welcome to the forum, hope you are doing ok. Does seem a bit of a slog getting through it at times but we are all getting there.

Ruby - congrats on finishing your chemo, hope you don't feel down for too long, at least you have dates for your radiotherapy sorted.

Hbunny and Slyolddog- your final sessions are next Friday aren't they? That's coming round really quickly, hope you both enjoy your good week before the final hit!

Clare - Sounds like you are doing really well since finishing chemo, I admire you planning to go back to Zumba so soon. Hope all goes well with your herceptin and that your toes and nails recover soon.

Had my second paclitaxel on Tuesday, another stressful session. Arrived for my 2.30 appointment, finally got called through at 4.30 and started having chemo at 5.30. All the nurses trained in fitting the cold cap had gone home by then, so another nurse had to fit it following a booklet, let's hope it works! Only just managed to get a cup of tea before the lady went home. Got out at 9pm, back again next Tuesday for number 3.

Sorry to any July ladies I've missed, hope you are all doing well and not suffering from too many SE's

Hugs, Karen

CathC

Thanks so much, Anna. Email notifications coming through again.

Appreciate the speedy response. You should update your title to Super Forum Coordinator .
(Although no need to wear your pants over your tights Lol)

Hugs

Cath

Anna_BCC

Hi CathC

I have had a quick look at your email notification settings and have slightly tweaked these which should ensure that you get all your email notifications, if you still experience problems, please let us know.

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

CathC

Once again, I'm not getting email notifications of replies. Any one else having problems?

Hi, WP23 - you're racing through the rads, won't be long now till it's all finished. Whoo-hoo!

40-5- rad patients a day sounds a lot! As you say, not a bit of wonder they're slightly impersonal.

How's the cold now? Hope the antibiotics help and you have a good time at the cruise show this weekend. Hubby and I went on a cruise in 2013 and it was fab, would recommend it to anyone.

hbunny - at least you have your discussion date for your rads - it's another step. Let me know what happens at it, will you? forewarned is forearmed. lol

Clare - do you need to go to the hospital for your Herceptin, or can you take it at home? The thought of having to attend hospital for another year is mind boggling. I'm hoping once my rads are done that will be me apart from check-ups.

Will the numbness in your toes and damage to your nails heal in time? I'm so glad to hear your energy levels are returning, but zumba!!! My, you don't do things by halves do you? lol

Day 3 of 5th chemo and the usual SE’s have arrived – bit nauseous, flushed cheeks, aches and pains and slightly tired. Nothing major, though, so that’s good. I’m getting used to the SE’s. Keeping a diary of them is really helpful. It’s easy to forget from cycle to cycle, especially with chemo brain.

Here’s hoping all the other July ladies are staying SE-free.

Hugs

Cath

sugar8

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi Slydog all chemo completed I will be having Herceptin  every 3 weeks for a year. It is a targeted therapy for HER2 positive BC.

CathC no side effects so far, although  still have my numb toes and damaged nails  but feeling well and my energy level is increasing every day. I have even been to the gym a few times, My test will be the zumba class which I am hoping to attend in 2 weeks time. Wow, only one more chemo session for you yippee. I bet you can't wait.

Wendy good luck with your radiotherapy. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Good luck to the rest of the July ladies. Sending you hugs and hoping you  have minimal SEs

Clare

hbunny

Hi Cath, yes finally got an appt to discuss and agree to rads 15th Oct, but I don't think that will include the planning, just the consent bit. Hoping to at least get a start date.

Roll on last one hey Cath, another 2 weeks and it will all be a memory - or am I forgetting the side effects - no they won't happen this time!

Keep fighting girls, nearly there.

Love to all. Hbunny

hbunny

Hi,  re travel insurance, I'm not sure on your age but if you hit the 50 mark (or anyone travelling with you) then age uk is very sympathetic re any medical problem and also very reasonable, worth trying popping into your local office to ask.  Hbunny

WP23

Hi Cath

Fabulous, ONE MORE TO GO!!!:):):) hope your SE's are minimal, hope you have stocked up on cake and choccies 🙂

I am on rads 5 today, finish on October 22nd yippee there does not appear to be any consistency with staff, every day there is a new face. One of the other patients waiting yesterday said they are getting through 40 - 50 radiotherapy sessions a day so that is why they are so impersonal, they want us in and out as quick as possible!!! cold is still hanging around, 2 more days of antibiotics so hopefully will be ok by the weekend, going to Liverpool to the cruise show, have told hubby MUST NOT be drawn into booking anything as we have already had to cancel this years hol, will not be booking anything too far ahead for a very long time, and the insurance will be a nightmare, anyone any tips on where to get reasonable insurance??

Onwards and upwards eh, one more to go :):):):) "big cheers" x
CathC

Shoes, I hope you're out of hospital.

hbunny - have you got your appointment for your radiotherapy discussion? They mentioned setting one up for me - probably on the day before my 6th and final chemo (I love writing that. lol) . Just waiting on an appointment letter being sent out.

Like you, it's hard to plan anything until we know the dates. A few days away sounds lovely. Hope you enjoy Bath. I'm going to wait until the New Year to get away. Maybe somewhere hot. That will be the next thing, sorting out travel insurance. Isn't cancer fun!

Wendy - how's the cold now? My onc has recommended I go for the flu jab as long as it's the few days before my next chemo when my bloods should be at their best. (Did I mention my next chem will be my last? LOL *Does happy dance.*)

I'm sorry you're finding radiotherapy very impersonal. Maybe once you get to know the nurses there that will improve.

Any tips you pick up will be gratefully received. The aqueous cream you mentioned...does it need to be any particular brand?

Stay well.

Berkshirelasss - how long did you need to stay in hospital? Your side effects sound horrible. Will they strengthen your anti-sickness tabs for your next session?

ETA: I see by your next post that you're back home on stronger tabs. Good. I agree with you, of all the SE's that constant nausea and sickness has to be the worst. Here's hoping your body gets a chance to recover before the next session.

Once they find the right meds it will get easier.

slyolddog, I hope you enjoy your break in Bath today. You deserve it, and Happy Anniversary!

Have a brilliant time.

Candyflossie - your TAX sessions seem to be going to plan each time, with Day 5 being your worst. How are you feeling now? Has the pain eased?

As for not being able to taste your apple strudel ....Nooooo! That's just plain wrong.

Can't believe most of us are on the countdown to our last chemo sessions. 

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS, GIRLS!

Like you I'm waiting to get my radiotherapy schedule. I have a feeling mine will overlap with Christmas. I think I read somewhere that other people found the break over Christmas helped in a way - gave their boobs a break - but I'ld like it all over for the New Year.

Horseslave - glad to hear FEC is easier for you than TAX. Just remember to listen to your body and rest when you need it.

Morag - sorry to hear the dreaded SE's have kicked in, but cooking a lunch for 8 people! I'm not surprised you feel like you've been hit by a bloody big lorry.

how are you feeling now?

Wendy - how many more rads to go now until you ge that bottle of champers? If you need someone to help you finish it, I'm your gal.Smiley Very Happy

Hi, lilac55. Congrats on getting half-way through your treatment!

I know it can be daunting, knowing you still have 4 cycles to go, but hopefully TAC will be easier on your body.

You can do this! We all can do this, but it is lovely to have someone to lean on while we do it. That's why this site is such a god-send. Knowing others are going through the same thing and that we can be completely honest here is such a balm.

Here's hoping you're feeling better today.

Karen, your last chemo session sounds horrible. Just what you needed, more angst. What did they decide? Are you still going for weekly TAX? And don't you dare give up the cold cap -you've suffered too long to do that now.

Sending you lots of hugs. Hope next week will be better.

ruby - glad to hear you're starting to feel better after your final Tax. Wishing you luck for your radiotherapy planning appt next Monday. Roll on 21 Nov, huh? When that side of the treatment will all be finished.

To any ladies I’ve missed….hugs!

Day 1 of 5th chemo and not feeling too bad – yet! I’ve dosed up on my drugs and will hunker down for the SE’s to begin. Yes, with cake, as much as I can eat. Or, failing that, chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.

Can’t believe I’ve only one more FEC to go! (Have I mentioned I’m excited about that? Lol)

Good luck to all the lovely July ladies. Hope your treatment is going well and the SE’s are bearable.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Hi Ruby

Well done on reaching the end of the chemo road, It is strange that when chemo finishes you start to get really down!!! you would think the opposite would happen. I think that because we are so focussed on chemo regime and SE's and the routine of it all when that stops it is a bit of a shock.

Good luck for radiotherapy and Herceptin, I have started radiotherapy but waiting for heart scans before can start Herceptin. Have you been ok on Herceptin? are there any nasty SE's to watch out for?

as you say "Onwards and upwards" :):)

Wendy x
ruby44

Hi everyone

I've been missing for ages trying to recover from my final Tax session - day 13 today and still so so tired, all other SE's gone now and looking forward to my radiotherapy planning appt next Monday. I'm having 20 consecutive days starting on 27th Oct so finish date of 21 Nov - hurrah. Then just 13 more Herceptin injections together with hormone treatment for 100 years and then I'm done!!! Doesn't it just seem to go on forever??!!!! Can u tell I'm fed up with it all now?? They did warn me I'd feel blue after chemo finished - I just didn't believe them!!! Never mind - onwards and upwards everyone - it's Christmas soon 😜 xxxx
WP23

Hi July ladies,

It has been a very long day with radiotherapy and work but feel a lot better about things today. Actually had very brief conversation with radiographer today which made all of the difference. Appointments were running 1 hour late though so that set me back for the rest of the day.

Cath - hope your 5th has gone well and you are home with some cake:) lol, have you only got one more to go now??? hope so, light at the end of the tunnel 🙂

Candyflossie - yes still a long way to go, but we will all get there 🙂

Karen - hope your feeling ok after 2nd paclitaxel, sounds like your chemo unit needs to get a grip!! cant believe what they said about cold cap:( I always kept eating to try and take yuccy taste away too, onwards and upwards, 🙂

Lilac55 - hope you can post some more and tell us about yourself, we are all in the same boat and are a tremendous comfort and support to each other, all the best with your continuing treatment 🙂 x

Hope you are all doing ok July ladies

Wendy x
Candyflossie

Thank you Wendy, I feel better for it now. I too will have champagne at the end of it, but still a long way to go yet...
Karen2609

Good luck today, Cath. Nearly there, hope all goes well x
CathC

Hi Ladies

Sorry not to reply to everyone individually, but I’m short of time this morning. I have an early appointment for my 5th chemo and must be on the road soon.

Glad to hear most of you seem to be coping well. Sending hugs to all those suffering any of the dreaded SE’s.

Will try and catch up later.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Wendy

Sorry to hear that you hate having radiotherapy, think I've been so focused on getting through the chemo that I just assumed rads wouldn't be much of a problem. Having been through so much the last thing you need is to be treated so impersonally. Still at least you are nearly done, you'll be finished before I'm even done with chemo , just keep focussing on that bottle of champagne x

Got my second weekly paclitaxel tomorrow, the se's haven't been too bad so far except for the awful mouth, I hate the thought of having a mixture of horrible taste or no taste for 6 weeks with no good week inbetween. Wouldn't be so bad if this stopped me eating but I seem to eating more than normal in a bid to make my mouth feel normal.

Lots of hassle at chemo unit last week, first the booking in staff told my I couldn't have my next weekly appointment for another 3 weeks as they were fully booked (luckily they were overruled by Dr), then Dr complained about me being put on weekly chemo saying that being hospitalised after Tax is fairly normal and no reason to change treatment before trying to talk me out of continuing with cold cap! As if I'm going to have spent all those extra hours sitting under it just to give up now!

Hope everyone is doing ok, we're getting there

Hugs, Karen xx
lilac55

Hi everyone.I have been reading your blogs most days but only registered today.I also started chemo in july,am having 8 cycles.4x AC than 4 TAC.Have just had 4th session and hating how it makes me feel.Each time I have to talk myself into having next.It feels such a long haul.

I love reading the blogs especially at night when seems rest of world sleeping.

I am amazed how some of you work during your treatment .I understand the need for normality but brain is fuzzy.

Looking forward to reading more of your news.good luck to everyone.

WP23

Hi Candyflossie,

the tattoing is just 3 tiny little dots that you can hardly see so that the radiographers can line you up exactly each time you have treatment. You get them at your planning appointment, they are permanent but just look like freckles.
Still hate having it and only day 3, 12 more to go, then I am going to have a bottle of champagne!!! all to myself lol 🙂

Keep going everyone, the end is in sight, yippee xxx

Wendy
Slyolddog

Berkshirelass - glad to see your our of hospital and on the mend. Get those anti sickness drugs sorted, as I've said before I still insist on Emend before I have Tax. I'd rather have and not need than the other way round. I think generally hospitals are too quick to reduce the meds.

Mogs - Horseslave is right, Tax does creep up on you, which is one reason I prefer FEC, it's not sneaky. And dinner for 8 was pretty ambitious! The more you do the more people expect you to do I've found, which has prompted a few reminders in this house. The longer you go through chemo the more it takes out of you, so you have to make sure you don't overdo it. I've found days 4-8 to be the worst on Tax so I don't plan anything for those days. I know I've said it before but u don't know how people go to work after treatment.

I hope everyone's doing well at the moment. It appears I've finally succumbed to something, I have a bright red rash on my right cheek. Doc thinks it might be a skin infection but not sure, anti biotic cream for 48 hours and if that doesn't work then oral anti biotics. I'll take whatever they give me, I don't want to miss my date for my last treatment.

Have a good week ladies, try and stay dry.

BerkshireLass

Day 13  of  4th cycle  (1st Tax) and I'm rehydrated and back home after being discharged from hospital.  Still slight feelings of nausea, but nowhere near as bad as before and not actually throwing up.  Have a very complicated meds regime which basically means at the moment popping a pill every hour or two.  Seeing my consultant this afternoon to plan meds for next cycle.  This time we will NOT be reducing anti-sickness meds.  I can cope with the joint pains, tiredness, sorethroats, rashes, fatigue, hairloss, diarrhoea, constipation but the constant nausea and sickness when I eat really is unbearable.  Mainly of course because it just goes on so very, very long.

Horseslave

Mogs, it sneaks up on you TAX. The FEC Is more instant. Catering for 8 was ambitious. Take care of yourself and give it time. Rest lots.xx
mogs33

There I was happily leading myself into a false sense of security. Thinking tax was soooo much easier than FEC and then day 4 after I'd cooked lunch for 8 ......bang ! ! Feel like I've been hit by a bloody great big lorry! That will teach me . Lol xxx
Horseslave

Day 4 on FEC. ALthough nowhere near as bad as TAX was for me, still very washed out and weak. No queasiness yet.
Sorry to hear of people struggling with SEs but it will all be over soon. One more chemo to go for me and thankfully no radiotherapy.
Should attempt to get up and have a nice shower. Picc line got removed as body rejected, so nice to shower arm where it was!
Candyflossie

Just to say hello to all of you and I do feel lucky when I see some of you have been struggling and are spending time in hospital and some are having to cope with long journeys for your treatment.

Like my previous TAX, day 5 was worse, no going to office yesterday, just laying there in pain, but luckily much better today, even managed to bake an apple strudel with my daughter... Unfortunately, can't taste it, which angers me no end Smiley Mad as I am such a foodie,,,

Pam - PICC line is a good idea as it will take your mind off the canulating every time you need a blood test or chemo. I bought a Limbo cover for my arm and can have a perfectly good shower, it is only temporary, I suggest you go for it.

Not looking forward to another treatment, but, hey, it will be my last TAX, 5 weeks to go to the final line of chemo and PICC line will come out too.

WE CAN DO THIS !!!!

Radiotherapy wise, can't wait for the dates, I should get my schedule on 20th October and hope it will all be fitted before Xmas.

For those that are going through radiotherapy already, what is the deal with tatoo-ing? Is this a permanent thing?

I hope not, I've never been a tatoo person Smiley Sad

Lots of hugs xxx

Flossie

Slyolddog

Wendy - sorry to hear you're not feeling well, I hope your cold clears soon and the radiographers get a bit more chatty. For my part I've found the whole process a bit impersonal, just a conveyor belt to ride. The only time I felt there has been any care was when I was on the ward after my ops, the nurses were great.

Berkshirelass - sorry to hear you're not well. Hospital is the best place to be, I hope you are soon rehydrated and feeling better.

Hbunny - not only are we on the same course of treatment at the same time bit we're also going to the same place for a break! I'm off to Bath on Wednesday for 3 nights for our anniversary, I hope the hotel lives up to its website page. Can't wait for a change of scenery, a bit if retail therapy and loads of overeating! The grotty taste in my mouth is peaking now but should be ok by the time we go.

Sending good wishes to all but especially those who have been laid low. Xx
BerkshireLass

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014 - encouragement

Well so much for tax being less likely to make me nauseous. After 8 days of nausea including 6 with diarrhoea and 3 with vomiting I'm now spending the day in hospital being rehydrated. Not fun.

Wendy, the staff sound rude to me just talking over the top of you. Obviously they have to communicate with each other but they should still recognise you as a person not just the next subject!

Shoes. Pain having no internet access in hospital. Being able to keep in touch is what makes it bearable (ish)
WP23

Hi Cath & hbunny

Thanks for your kind words re cold, really feeling rough and sorry for myself, hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

My GP was wanting me to have flu jab but I am resisting at the moment, already have cold!!!!! lol xx

I have found radiotherapy very impersonal and am not liking it at all, you don't feel anything so I don't know what is making me feel this way. Maybe because the staff just talk over you as they set up the machine then run out and set the thing off!!! takes no time at all. I have been using lots of aqueous cream to moisturise which was advised, but I have not been told to do anything else imparticular. I will update as I go along if I pick up any tips 🙂

Have a good weekend ladies

Wendy xx
hbunny

Morning girlies, hope everyone is relaxing and feeling as good as poss.  I'm now day 9 of 5th and feeling ok, taste not 100%, but not bad, so will do the ice pops again for the final one, the next two weeks can't go quickly enough.  Still waiting for an appt to discuss radiotherapy and will feel better once I have some dates, it's impossible to plan anything until then, although have booked a cottage in Bath for a few days after chemo is done, haven't had any time away since May 13, so getting disparate now for a change of scenery and a bit of a celebration before the radiotherapy.

Wendy do hope your cold clears up soon, I suppose we could see ourselves as fortunate to be going through treatment during the summer and not the cold season.  Anyone having their flu jab during chemo, I was told the best time is right before chemo when your immune system is at its best, but not sure whether it would be better to leave it until after I've finished completely, any advice?

Hugs on their way to you shoes, I'm sure things will sort themselves out soon and you will get back on track, keep fighting.

Like Cath, any advice re radiotherapy would be gratefully received.  Hbunny xx