1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

CathC

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Horseslave, wishing you every luck for your last FEC today. Hope all goes well.

Wendy - can't believe you've had your last rads - seems no time since you started. I have my first appointment today. Not sure what will happen, but hoping to get my start date..

Good luck with your Herceptin today. How long will you be taking it? I'm triple negative so rads are my last treatment.

Morag - hope your 5th went well yesterday.

Berkshire Lass - hope the nausea has eased.

JuSt - how are you feeling now? Hope the mouth and nausea have eased.

Karen, how did the 4th paclitaxel go? Did you and Shoes manage to meet up?

Shoes, sorry to hear you ended up in A&E again. How is the breathing now?

Day 18 of 5th chemo and apart from sore veins and tiredness I'm doing pretty well. Yesterday turned into a duvet day - I just had to shut the world out for a bit. Today I feel more refreshed and ready for anything - especially if it comes with cream cake. lol

Hugs to all the July ladies

Cath

mogs33

Good luck tomorrow ! Gongratulations a,
shoes220

Karen will look out for you this afternoon you dont have to sit in the waiting room you just tell reception you are going to the lounge.

Anyway sorry guys not been on line this week too tired and no concentration. Its nice to see so many of you are coming to the end of your chemo if i have the 7 left i will finish the begining of Dec them its radiothereaphy.

Having this shortness of breath is becoming a pain landed in A&E monday but they let me home. Tummy is covered in brusies from the heparin injections for the blood clots i will be on them for another 5 months.

Hope the ses are better for you all this session.

Final note really looking forward to meeting Karen today.

Karen2609

Morning Ladies,

Morag, good luck today hope it all goes ahead as planned. I've had a few delays as well which can be frustrating but a lot of mine have been because the chemo unit is so busy. I agree that this forum has really helped me get through the chemo, I wish I had found it earlier when I was first diagnosed as it would have kept me away from Google. As some of the others have said would be nice to put names to faces.

BerkshireLass, sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with the chemo. Has the nausea passed yet? 3rd Nov isn't far away, hang on in there. July when we started this phase seems so long ago now and we just need to get through the next few weeks. With any luck you will be able to delay the op but I had mine a week before my son's First Communion and I was fine just a little tired. So although it wouldn't be ideal it's nothing like as bad as chemo. Fingers crossed they put it back until after Christmas for you but if not sit back and enjoy being waited on.

JuSt, hope you are feeling a bit better now, those down days still hit us don't they. Hopefully you are getting over the SE's now.

Cath, just one more to go, good luck for Tuesday. Keeping everything crossed bloods ok. Strange to have come so far but these last few weeks seem hard to get through. The thought of hibernating sounds very appealing at the moment😊

Horseslave, good luck with last Fec. Hope all goes well and you have minimal SE's.

Wendy, brilliant news that you've finished your rads. You must be so pleased, and back to work so soon is admirable. Hopefully your herceptin will go well tomorrow, always good to get the first one done so you know what to expect.

I'm off for number 4 paclitaxel this afternoon, will be looking out for Shoes at Southend. My appt is an hour earlier this time and I'm really hoping to not be the last one left with a couple of nurses waiting to go home but not confident. As long as yesterday's bloods were ok, that will have been my last full blood test as the next 2 can be done at the unit just before chemo. They took a bit extra yesterday as no one has any idea where I'm at menopause wise and this will effect which drug I'm on for the next 10 years.

Hugs, Karen x

WP23

Great stuff Horseslave,

You have not had an easy ride of it, you must be so bleeding glad it is nearly over 🙂 hope all goes well x

Hope everyone is getting ready to climb that last little bit before reaching the top of that old mountain, the view will be great 🙂

I had last radiotherapy session yesterday 🙂 really tired and a little bit sore but going to work this morning.

Start Herceptin tomorrow at local hospital, onwards and upwards ladies x

Morag - yes I have seen other groups meeting up aswell, I suppose it would depend on location and time, but I would love to see everyone.

I am in Cumbria, where is everyone else??

Wendy x
Horseslave

Last chemo ( FEC) tomorrow......
CathC

Hi Morag, keeping my fingers crossed that your 5th chemo goes ahead as planned on Thursday.

Just one more for me. Next Tuesday, if bloods are okay.

Hard to believe we're all reaching the finishing post.

As for meeting up next year, guess it would depend when and where, but it would be nice to meet you all face to face.

Berkshire Lass - sorry to hear you're still feeling yuck. Didn't your doc give you some stronger nausea tablets? I know when I mentioned feeling sick they gave me an injection before chemo and stronger tabs to take for 5 days.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

JuSt - how are you feeling today? 'Down' days seem to be part and parcel of this treatment and can hit out of the blue.

Each cycle seems to take a little bit more out of you. I'm glad I only have one more to go. The thought of any more than that would have me in tears.

Hope the nausea and sore mouth ease soon.

Day 16 of 5th chemo. Yesterday was a wash out for me. Was soooo tired my afternoon nap extended to bedtime. I think I'm becoming part bear. The thought of hibernating for the next few months has its appeal.

Hugs to all

Cath

JuSt

Hi BerkshireLass,
Sorry to hear you are feeling dreadful. I was also day 8 yesterday (but cycle 6) and have had nausea and mouth problems for last couple of days - had a 'down day' yesterday - it really does feel hard to get rhrough this at times, and must be especially so for you if you have so few good days. At least your last session is not far away now - hang in there as the only way is up after chemo.
Hope they sort your op dates out so you get a break over Christmas and manage some quality time. Don't worry about being behind most of us - you'll soon catch up and the worst will be over after chemo.
Sending big hugs,
JuSt
xx
BerkshireLass

Hi All

Have been reading through all your posts, but have the concentration of a fly, so am sorry that trying to reply to individuals just isn't possibleSmiley Sad  I am just so impressed that so many of you seem to be holding it together so well.  I'm on day 8  of round 5, but the nausea kicked in again around about day 6 and I'm feeling dreadful.  I long for a good week.  When I started chemo I was told each cycle would be 1 bad week, 1 mediocre week and 1 reasonable good week.  I've only ever managed a few good days in a cycle and not even that in most cycles so I've lost trust in any positive spin that I'm told.

My last chemo will be 3rd November and I've been told that my op would normally be 6 weeks later which would make it 15th December, but I'm hoping that it can be delayed until after Christmas as I really don't want to find myself with drains still in over Christmas and I really would like a break from feeling lousy!  If I can delay the op a couple of weeks then I'm guessing rads won't start until late Feb, so I'll be quite a bit behind most of you then.

I usually like spicy food and wine and cake, but none of  it appeals at the moment; mostly eating because I'm told I must.  For some reason though shortbread finger biscuits seem to go down ok and help with the nausea; other biscuits don't cut it.  The plus side is that lack of real appetite means I haven't put on weight as yet; danger period will be when I start to perk up and get my appetite back.

mogs33

Morning ladies,
I've not replied for a while but log on most days to see how you are all getting on . The support has helped immensely as going through all this on your own must be hard . Thank you to all of you !
I see the August group have arranged a get together next year ... Afternoon tea at the ritz no less! Does anyone fancy a get away at some point (to compare hair re growth ) and have some fun as we've been through so much ?

Karen 2609 , I'm so glad your wine tasted good ! normality ahhhhh

HBunny congratulations on finishing.! I think I'll be dancing out of the chemo unit after my last session ...hope your having min SEs ...last time , that must feel great ?

Wp23 ....I'm off aldi Today so will stock up on aqueous cream. How far in advance of rads do you start applying it ?

Cath C ....is it only one more to go? I can't wait to say that ! The end is in sight ....

Candyflossie .....hope last chemo went well and you have min SEs.... Congratulations !

Fiona00 .... Hope your not feeling sooo tired. Only one more to go !

Berkshirelass.. Definitely more cancer adds .....it seems to be everywhere , reminding us constantly whne sometimes we are trying to forget, just for a little while anyway .

To all I have missed ... The finish line is close , who would have thought we'd ever get there . ,me for one thought I couldn't do it after the first one .
, but hey here we are. Although as I've been delayed a week each time I still have 2 more sessions, hopefully 5th this Thursday. bloods and review today but I won't hold my breath.

Take care xx Morag

CathC

Wendy - thanks for the tip about the cream. No Aldi's here, but It seems any aqueous cream will work.

Glad to hear the rads are going well for you.

hbunny - glad you finally managed to sleep. Hope the SE's are bearable.

Hi Karen2609, I knew if you persevered  you'd soon be able to taste your wine. lol

Like you, looking forward to when all things taste properly again. Won't be long, for most of us.

Good luck for your  chemo on Thursday.

Day 15 of 5th chemo and apart from a few sore veins and feeling tired I'm doing pretty well. I'm avoiding as many crowed places as I can as I'm determined to get my last chemo next week.

Can't believe how excited I am about finishing chemo. If I'd the energy I'd throw a chemo party.

Hope all the July ladies are doing well.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

JuSt - Congrats on getting your last Tax done and hosting a sleepover in the same week! Very brave of you. Hope you are starting to feel better now and are looking forward to getting the rads under your belt, it's good that you only need 15 . My wine tasted very nice last night, looking forward to the time I can have a glass every Saturday night and know that I will enjoy it. I'm having my flu jab on Saturday, as I'm on weekly chemo apparently there isn't a specific time to have it.

Cath - sorry I haven't got any tips for dealing with vein pain but if it's any consolation my veins improved very quickly after finishing Fec and I don't have any trouble with them now.
I only wore the stocking cap thing as I still have quite a lot of hair, I don't think you need to bother otherwise. That's probably the reason it doesn't fit very well and keeps moving! Hope you are feeling well, is this your good week now? Just think this is the last time you will have to think about a good week, after you get through the next set of SE's they will all be 'good' weeks.

Wendy - thanks for your good wishes and the tip about the aqueous cream. I will have to get some for when I finally start.

It's so annoying when you lose a post as they take so long to write when you have to keep scrolling through. I just managed to post a blank comment on a different thread somehow, I don't know how I managed that!

Hbunny - well done you sleeping until 11.30, must be fantastic seeing the back of those steroids. Last time to get through the SE's, they will soon be a thing of the past. Doesn't seem that long ago we were all starting out on this part of the journey and look where we are now.

Looking forward to next chemo on Thursday, it's a real boost everytime one of us finishes. Can't wait to hear when my rads are going to start, I'm really hoping to get them done by Christmas.
Has anyone else got an appointment with their surgeon coming up? I've got one on 23rd Dec but don't really know what it's for.

Karen x

hbunny

Oh wow, what a lovely read of positivity this morning, well done all of us we are there and cheering at the finishing line for those coming home.  I'm now on day 4, slept until 11.30am and doing nothing all day - no more steroids, yeh.  Horrid taste is back along with heartburn etc and the heavy legs and headache, but hey I can do that.  Expecting the flu symptoms and raised temperature oh yes and the bone pain tomorrow and then all being well improvements every day.

Thanks for the tip re aqueous cream at aldi, will take a trip tomorrow.  Oh and ladies wigs will soon be a thing of the past.

Happy days to come.  Hugs bunny. Xx

WP23

Good morning ladies

I just typed a very long response to you all and then lost it!!!!! so annoying.

Anyway cannot do it all again so wish you all well, congrats to everyone finishing and hang on in there to everyone coming to the last chemo sessions.

Good look to all of you starting planning for rads, I bought a big tub of aqueous cream from Aldi for £1.99 and I have not suffered any burns at all.

Onwards and upwards girls xx

Take care

Wendy
CathC

slyolddog - glad to hear your last chemo went well. Congratulations on finishing.

Have you a date for your rads?

hbunny- have you managed to get any sleep yet? I did find I had to use my strong painkillers at night just to get over.

Here's hoping you've had a few blissful nights in the land of nod.

Candyflossie - good luck with your last TAX today. Whoo-hoo! Can't believe how many of us are reaching that finishing line this month.

As for having a famous chocolatier for a sister...soooo jealous. Chocolate has been my best friend on this cancer journey. Enjoy your half term break.

Karen - that's the girl, keep trying with that wine, one of them is bound to taste nice soon. lol

The wig kept squishing my ears too and I didn't wear the little stocking thingy - I thought that was optional. Ooops!Smiley Embarassed

Don't stress about losing weight or getting fit. At the moment all our energy needs to be directed at getting well and getting through the treatments. Plenty of time next year to focus on the other stuff.

Good luck for no 8 on Thursday.

JuSt - congrats on your last TAX, and getting through a sleepover birthday party. (Not sure which is harder. lol)

Good luck with your first radiotherapy apt. I have mine on Friday and am a bit nervous. as you say, just the fear of the unknown.

Day 14 of 5th Chemo. Still feeling well, although the veins in my arm are complaining. I find massaging them helps. Anyone any other tips?

Hugs to all going through treatment this week, or suffering from SE's.

We're almost there ladies!

Hugts

Cath

JuSt

Hi Ladies - sorry not been on sooner but had a busy week! Had last tax last Tuesday (yaayyy!!) - went ok but had to use surgery side for canula as the other hand was just not playing the game.  Was my youngest daughter's 11th birthday on Wed so was then busy planning that and a sleepover for her and school friends on Friday night.  Yea, think it was a bit mad to plan that for few days after last Tax but thought it would keep me occupied! Sure did, but I survived (although I really did feel lousy yesterday but feel a little better now so hope to be through the worst of it now).

Horseslave - good luck for last one on the 23rd! Nearly there!! You're right about there being so many other things to take on board during all of this - radio, hormones etc etc - hope the arm mobility improves for you and like your attitude regarding keeping it moving.  x

Cath - not long til your last chemo now then and glad to hear you have your appt for radiotherapy already.  It's good to get straight onto that and aim for another block out of the way isn't it?  (although a bit scary again with that fear of the unknown once more).  Mornings are best for me too so I also tend to get busy then and rest later (with a well-earned cake) x  I know what you mean about it being strange catching yourself with hair - I've also not worn my wig much and just feel like I have too much hair with it on!!  Have got a definite white covering now, hubby likes to call me 'fluffy' - how original, eh? x

Karen2609 - glad you're doing well with your weekly treaatments and not finding it too bad - the horrible taste is really disgusting isn't it?  I've really struggled to keep drinking, although food doesn't seem to be a problem!  Hope 6th Nov comes round really quickly for you x  P.S. Hope the wine tastes better tonight x

hbunny - congratulations on reaching the last one!  Hope you have minimal se's and get them over and done with quickly.   Thanks for the link - will try to catch that x

Slyolddog - congratulations on finishing treatment! Me and hubby are also planning a break and thinking similar to you - maybe we should send those two off to the sunshine and you and I  should head for the log fires and country walks, lol x

BerkshireLass - I also have heavy legs, especially last couple of days and can't wait till they get moving again!  Good luck with reaching the end of chemo very soon x

Fiona - glad to hear your se's are not too bad.  Hope it continues and good luck for your last treatment on 6th Nov - not long now x

WP23 - well done at almost finishing radiotherapy! Wow - that seems to have gone really quick!  Glad to hear you sorted a B&B and hope the tiredness improves quickly.  Good luck with Herceptin x

Candyflossie - good luck for last tax tomorrow and PICC out soon. Hope you have minimal se's and enjoy half term week x

Got first radiotherapy appt tomorrow and been told it should start in 2-3 wks time (with one more appt due before then).  I've gone into a trial and been allocated 15 sessions with 8 boosters incorporated into those so only 15 in total instead of the standard 23 that I was due to get separately.  Also, got to book my flu jab - was advised to book that for 3-4 wks after last chemo once bloods are up again.  Oh, and start Tamoxifen next week - so much to remember!!

Apologies if i've missed anyone but sending one and all good wishes and hugs xx We are nearly there!!

JuSt

x

Karen2609

Hi All, hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday, is it next weekend the clocks go back? Must admit I do enjoy cosy autumn nights.

Hbunny , did you manage to get anymore sleep last night? At least that's it now, no more steroids for you. Hope your SE's aren't too bad and that you enjoy your break in Bath. Good that you have your start date for rads too.

Cath, unfortunately my glass of wine didn't taste very nice but I'm going to try again tonight and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this one!! How are you doing today? Hope you are not feeling so wiped out in the afternoons.
I'm glad you got to wear your wig and it was comfortable. I used to wear mine when going out as every day is a bad hair day at the moment but I couldn't really get on with it. It always seems to squash my ears and the little stocking thing always pings off at inappropriate times.

Slyolddog, congrats on getting your final chemo over and done with. Like you say, last time for the yucky mouth you will soon be able to enjoy food all the time. The heavy, achy legs are definitely slowing me down too and I didn't manage to get on the treadmill today. Although I don't want to put on anymore weight as I refuse to buy bigger clothes, I think realistically it's going to be the New Year before I make a concerted effort to get fit. Hope you are not suffering too many SE's.

Candyflossie , a chocolatier for a sister! Wow that must be fantastic. Hope you enjoy Colchester Zoo and castle. My kids used to love the Zoo but we haven't been for years, I've never been to Colchester castle I really should make the effort as I love castles.

Good luck with your final Tax tomorrow, at least by the time half term is over you should be more or less back to normal and the SE's gone for good! Glad to hear your hair is starting to come back too. Does anyone know if any of these shampoos which are supposed to promote hair growth are any good?

Chemo 8 of 10 on Thursday, getting there slowly but it's encouraging to see so many July ladies reaching the finishing post. Although my treatment is dragging on a bit, the Paclitaxel does seem to be less harsh and although I moan about the horrible mouth and aching legs, it's nothing like as bad as I expected chemo to be.

Hope everyone has a good week and escapes the storms. We are all getting there and will hopefully soon be able to put this year behind us.

Love to all, Karen xx

Candyflossie

Hi Everyone,

Reading all the threads makes me feel there's a sense of community in this group and it no doubt helped all of us keep going and feeling more positive.

The end is nearly in sight, my 6th and last chemo (TAX) is tomorrow and cannot wait to be done with it.

Hair looks strange, there's a sort of a fluffy, pale looking thing, but it is there thank goodness and hope it will keep on growing and getting stronger, as like many of you I have had enough of my wigs.

Looking forward to the half term week when I have taken a week off as my sister and family are coming over to spend time with us, so planning to take the kids to Colchester Zoo and the castle and relax. My sister is a famous chocolatier and TV personality and has been a judge on 2013 Masterchef in Romania, so looking forward to some exquisite deserts yum Smiley Tongue

I know this week will be the most difficult out of the three, but hanging on in there like all of you.

Three weeks to go and PICC line will come out too yippee !!!

Here's to a minimal SE week xxx

Love, Flossie 

hbunny

Hi Slydog, so pleased your last session went well, even though it was a little delayed.  I too couldn't wait to get out never look back.  I did have just one steroid at lunch - have been on 4 x 2 on the day before, then 4 am on day one and 2 at pm, then day 3 has been 2 x 2 mainly because it causes havoc with blood sugar levels, so only half of the should be dose and still no sleep.  Will try paracetamol to get me off tonight at least the brain has switched off.

In relation to food, I haven't cut out anything, continued to enjoy the runny eggs, pate and brie, never been told not too and no problems, although I have never suffered with sick bugs etc, so maybe just lucky.   Will have to check on the swim, but 3 weeks after chemo and 10 days before rads it's very tempting, like many others it's the thing I've missed most.

Don't know how, but I havent put on any weight and only done a bit of yoga.

Anyway ladies the end is in sight for all  now, good luck and keep fighting.  I'm just trying not to get too naggy with the lack of sleep.  Xx hhbunny

Slyolddog

Hi Hbunny - funny enough I was thinking about you too yesterday. It was the first time I was delayed with treatment as they were so short of staff on the unit, only 45 minutes though so on the whole pretty good. However, no smiley face in my book or anything. I thought I'd get quite emotional when I finished but I was very glad to be leaving the unit, couldn't get out of there fast enough in the end. Unlike you I'm not suffering from lack of sleep from the steroids, if 8 steroids a day don't significantly interrupt my sleep what will?? I've just hoovered through the house so I do have additional energy but I know that will slip away quickly as the steroids are now gone. Did you take you PM ones today, if not I really hope you get a better sleep tonight. And you have a start date for your rads so you're ahead of me on that one. Enjoy your break in Bath, I must say I'm longing for a swim, and some brie, and some pate and egg and chips with runny egg yolks! The nurse said give it 3-4 weeks then go back to eating normally. Can't wait.

Wendy - glad your rads are going well and that you're nearly done. Any nasty side effects or have you escaped too much soreness with plenty of cream. And how is work now, are you still finding it strange. I'm hoping to be back soon but have to wait for my visit from the Occupational Health Doctor who will determine how many hours. I'm happy to start quite low, particularly as I'll have to fit rads in as well for 18 days with the extra tiredness that brings.

Karen - how are you doing now? Like you I've put on weight but unlike you I haven't used my treadmill for ages. I really need to get back to it, nearly passed out when I weighed myself this morning. However I have had a lot of meals out lately and takeways, making the most of my good taste week. Just waiting for my taste buds to go into decline again, hopefully after next weekend they'll pick up and forever, no more sluggy taste. I've also found myself getting heavy legs (perhaps that's where the food's gone!), I'm finding stairs quite a struggle, not bounding up them as I used to. No doubt like everything else this will pass, especially if I get myself in gear and get on the treadmill.  I also agree that there seems to be loads of adverts and programmes about cancer at the moment, there are a lot of people in much worse situations and I hope that none of us find ourselves with further problems. 

Cath - glad you managed to get out with your wig on, I'm sure hubby was right and you looked great. I always wear mine out except when I go for chemo then I wear a scarf. It will be interesting to see how quickly my hair grows back, I'm already getting fed up of wig wearing and I'm not even back at work yet!  Do you just have one more FEC to go now and then you're done? I hope so, nearly there if so.

Fiona00 - get plenty of rest if you're tired, you have nothing to prove by pushing yourself.  There won't be many times in our lives when we can legitimately rest, so indulge yourself, put something interesting on the telly and put your feet up.

Berkshire Lass - sorry you've had to cancel your trip to Prague, I know how you feel. We were due to go to Australia for a month on the 5th November for our 25th wedding anniversary but had 3 days in Bath instead! We've postponed the trip so will be going next year, all being well. We're hoping to book a week away in November, mainly to give hubby a break, he could do with some down time as he's worked through, missing another holiday we had to cancel in July. We still can't agree on where to go though, he wants hot and sunny and I want log fires and country walks. I have a feeling we'll be going for the warm! Prague is on our list of places to go one day, it looks sensational.

To everyone I've missed I hope you're all keeping well and not suffering too much from side effects.  As we are mostly coming to the end of chemo the side effects are beginning to be the last set for many, lets hope that makes it more bearable. We're winning this ladies, we need slaps on the back all round and a cream tea and a balloon for everyone! I'm off for a hot bath and a book, nothing like these dark nights to prompt an early bath.  Take care of yourselves, keep the faith and keep looking forward.  XX

hbunny

Hi Cath, yes you are right this was just the intro session.  You need to accept the broadcasts with the bottom rich hand link for them to download.  Hbunny xx

CathC

Hi Fiona00

The tiredness can be overwhelming sometimes. Just listen to your body and rest up when you can. As for the constipation. Yup, it's either a feast or a famine with FEC. I got some Laxido from the doctor and take it and prune juice starting the day before my chemo. You should ask your doc about it.

hbunny, thanks for the link, watched it last night, but so far it just seems to be an intro to the programme. Look forward to seeing the next one.

Did you get your last one yesterday? If so WHOO-HOO! You did it. that elephant is finally up the hill. *Does happy dance*

ETA: see by your last post that you did. Sorry to hear you're not sleeping again. As for the night sweats, I didn't find anything helped, except wearing vest and shorts to bed and a very light top sheet.

So envious of you going swimming soon. It's the one thing I really do miss.

Wendy, so glad the radiation appointments are going well for you and it sounds like the B&B was the right idea - in fact, the thought of some   nice 'alone' time sounds rather appealing.

You start your Herceptin next Fri and I go for my radiotherapy planning - we really are moving swiftly through the treatment.

Good luck with the rest of your rads.

Karen2609 - did you enjoy your glass (or two) or red?

I know what you mean about there seeming to be a lot of cancer about at the moment. If it's not friends being diagnosed, then it's the adverts. It's everywhere, or are we just more aware of it?

Hope the yucky mouth clear soon.

Slyolddog - hope your last one went well.

Day 12 of 5th chemo. I actually wore my wig out yesterday. For some reason I was very nervous about it although hubby said it was gorgeous on me. *preen* It felt so strange to catch sight of myself with ‘hair’. The wig itself was comfortable, but I don’t know, I just feel happier wearing my scarves and hats.

Hugs to all. Hope everyone is escaping the dreaded side effects.

Cath

hbunny

Morning all you July ladies hope everyone is feeling good this am.  Day 2 of final tax today (I might be saying that a lot today) and although sucking on the ice pops can already feel the taste buds disappearing.  Another 2 hours sleep again last night so not happy, might miss the last steroid at lunch, see if that helps, also the night sweats have struck with a vengeance, any advice as to the best help?

Radio planning meet also went smoothly, start date of 12th Nov x 20 or 23 rounds, they haven't decided on the boost number yet, so our trip to bath fits in nicely on chemo week 3. Hoping to pamper in a spa for a pm, pool and everything if we can, oh the bliss, will just need to find a skull cap, wont want to scare the residents!

Slydog how are you doing after your final one, I was thinking about you yesterday?

Love and hugs all round and oh yes just a small slice of cake.  Xx hbunny

Karen2609

Hi hbunny, hope all went well with your final chemo today. Just the se's to get through but hopefully it will help knowing this is the last time! Glad you had your radiotherapy planning meeting today too, it's good to get the next stage sorted.

Thanks for posting the links, it will be interesting to watch.

BerkshireLass, I tend to get heavy legs as the week goes on, I'm usually ok by time next chemo comes round and for a couple of days afterwards so I've been trying to get on treadmill while I've got the energy. I've put on so much weight since starting chemo that I have to try and do something. Hope the Tax Se's aren't hitting you too hard, it's a shame you won't be able to go to Prague this Christmas, maybe you will be able to get away for a break in the New Year.

Cath, each treatment does seem to take more of a toll doesn't it? Might as well just go with it and rest when you need to, if that means spending every afternoon on the sofa for the next few weeks, so be it. I'm still able to eat spicy food at the moment but not enjoying it so much. Think I might have to try out one of those eyebrow kits.

Fiona, my last chemo is due 6th Nov too, all being well. Not long to go, just get the rest you need now and we will soon be through it.

Shoes, I will look out for you and your funky 70's style hat on Thursday, I've never made it as far as the lounge yet! Hope you're feeling ok, how many have you got left now?

Wendy, glad you got to stay in a B&B near the hospital this week, 100 mile round trip is too much to do everyday. Seems like your radiotherapy has gone really quickly. Good luck with your first herceptin on Friday, glad to hear you can have that at your local hospital.

Mouth not so dry today but horrible taste back with a vengeance. Think I'll have to have a glass of red in a minute to see if that helps. Really want to watch Gogglebox but don't fancy the whole Stand Up to Cancer programme, all a bit close to home at the moment, especially as a couple of people I know have died from different types of cancer this week. Seems to be an awful lot of it around at the moment, has made me appreciate that awful as this is, things could have been a lot worse.

Congrats to all those July ladies who have finished, wishing you minimal SE's, for the rest of us we will soon be there too!

Xx

WP23

Hi July ladies,

too many posts to reply individually but well done to everyone that has reached the end "big claps" fabuloso :):).
There are a few of you that have dates for radiotherapy planning too so things are really moving along.
I have now done 12 of 15 rads, I have stayed in a B&B near to the hospital this week so did not have the 100 mile round trip every day. It has been much easier. Rads is very tiring, I think because of the daily trip to hospital and waiting room etc. fortunately I have only had one day where there was a long delay, the rest have been running within 15 mins of time. I really admire the staff as they are seeing 50 patients a day at the moment, this is why they are so impersonal sometimes I think as they are just rushing from one patient to the next!
I have had my heat scan this week and all is good to start Herceptin, this will be done at my local hospital "big relief" and I start that next Friday.

As everyone says it is just another hurdle to get over, should all be done by the end of next April as I am only having Herceptin for 6 months instead of a year as part of a trial into the drug.

Hbunny - will look at the link with much interest - thank you for sharing it with us all.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, onwards and upwards ladies x

Wendy x
hbunny

Hi ladies.

The link to the 11 episodes mentioned last night is  http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/fall_quest1.php  The second episode was aired last night so will be watching tonight.  Although the series is about doing all this naturally rather than the conventional route, we are all through that now, or nearly, and i'm not sure i would have done anything differently anyway.  however, its the what comes after this treatment that initreages me, what can we do for ourselves to give the very best chance of a 100% cure.  So don't get too hung up on the negatives of the treatment we are on, just take the bits you want about treating the causes of cancer not the symptom which is the cancer itself.

Hoping everyone is not suffering too much today.  I also have heavy legs around day 5/6, currently suffering from the runny eyes syndrome and not able to keep make up on for long, indegestion always gets me during the anti-biotic stage and lack of sleep with the steriods (2 hours again last night), but all doable and last one today which i'm sort of looking forward to - want my smiley face and then i'm never going back.

Onwards and upwards.

Good luck to everyone having treatment this week, do hope it's not too bad and side effects are manageable.  Everyday is one day closer to the end.  The elephant is nearly at the top.  wipeeeee he was getting soo heavy.  Love to all hbunny xx

shoes220

i go in the lounge in the actual chemo room instead of sitting in the waiting room i will wear my grey funky 70 style cap so you should see me.

Fiona00

Hi Karen and cath, I am day two of my 5th fec, and last one will be on 6th Nov, and will have appointment to discuss radiotherapy with my oncologist. So far my SE is mainly tiredness for 10 days and constipation for first 3 days but under control by meds. Just the tiredness, got nothing to help but just rest in bed.
CathC

Hi Karen, glad to hear your mouth isn't as sore. Like you, I would have been more a savoury person than cakes (although Pavlova always had its place in my heart. lol) but now crisps irritate my tongue and I'm unable to eat anything spicy - I love spicy.Smiley Sad

My eyebrows are very sparse and my niece bought me an eyebrow kit with little eyebrow templates - it's fab and so easy to use.

I also have to book my flu jab, but my onc told me to book it for the day I'm due my bloods. It's right before my last chemo when my blood count should be at its highest.

Also sending good luck to Slyolddog and hbunny for your last tax.

Will look out for your links today, hbunny. sounds interesting.

Hi Fiona - when is your last chemo scheduled? And how are you coping with all the SE's?

Hi Berkshire Lass, yes, I suffer from heavy legs too, and the aches and pains don't get any easier. Luckily, I live in a bungalow so I've no stairs to climb. The treadmill is my only real exercise. I like it because I can do as much or as little as I like. Plus, I don't go very fast so it suits me well.

Sorry to hear you have to cancel your trip to the Christmas markets. Good job you have insurance in place.

Stay well.

Day 11 of 5th chemo. Yesterday started out well, full of energy, but by lunchtime my whole body was one big ache. Spent the rest of the day in bed. Mornings definitely do seem to be my best time so I intend to pack as much as I can into them.

Hugs to all the July ladies.

Cath

BerkshireLass

Hi all. Day 5 of round 5 (2nd tax) starting. As usual nausea has set in though the fact that I rattle with mess is minimising so far. Aches and pains an added destraction.

Is it just me or are there more 'cancer' adverts and programmes on at the moment. I watch telivision to take my mind off it all. I don't need adds to remind me!

I remain impressed by those of you 'tread milling'. When I can I try to stagger to the local shop, mainly for the fresh air, but I do find just climbing the stairs at home is quite an effort. Does anyone else have heavy legs?

Bath visit sounds wonderful - beautiful city - though one of those places where you can do a LOT of walking so not surprised by bench to bench approach.

Barcelona another beautiful place. I was told to stay in UK during treatment though. We did have Prague booked this year for Christmas markets but oncologist has advised against as she says I won't be up to it, so looks like an insurance claim.

So pleased that we squeezed in a mini break to Salzburg between diagnosis and treatment, though it seems an age ago now!
hbunny

Hi Karen.  Thanks for the good wishes.  Last one, can't believe it one last set of sides effects to get through, wonderful.  Also going for my radiotherapy planning session before chemo tomorrow, so will be good to get a plan for the next session.

If anyone is interested I will be posting a link to 11 programmes tomorrow re how to beat cancer naturally. Watched the first tonight and although scary as it was all about the cynical side of treatment and more natural treatments, it was very good and other programmes are about health, nutrition, immunity etc which we can all use after the nasty stuff to protect for the future. Watch out for the link, just can't do it from this device, but don't let the first episode scare,  or even pick up on episode 2.

Slydog good luck for tomorrow I'll be thinking of you along with all the July ladies.  Take care of you, everyone.  Love hbunny xx

Karen2609

Hi Fiona, when is your last chemo? Don't know about you but it doesn't seem that long ago since we started and now we are all either finished or nearly there. Despite the times when I despaired that it would never end it hasn't been as bad as I imagined.
Do you need further treatment after chemo? I've still got rads to go after I finish, really hoping to have it all done by Christmas and have a fresh start in the New Year.
Good luck with your last chemo, Karen x
Fiona00

Hi everyone, been reading this thread since my first fec on July. And now just want to say how excited we are as the counting down is on everybody here!
Karen2609

Hi Cath, yes can't wait for next three weeks to go by, just hoping there are no more delays. If everything had gone to schedule I would be having my last dose tomorrow. Never mind, the end is in sight now.

Great news that you now have a date for radiotherapy and so soon! I'm always looking ahead to the next stage and having a date for something to happen makes me feel better.

I'm with you on the sore mouth although mine isn't so bad since I stopped overdosing on omeprazole. Yes cream cakes and ice cream do seem to help. It's strange but before all this started I wasn't really a cakey sort of person, more crisps and chocolate. Now I can't stop eating cakes and fruity sweets which I would never normally touch.

My eyebrows are very sparse now but I haven't got the knack of drawing them in, hoping they will be able to teach me when I go on my LGFB session.

Saw my GP today who told me I need a flu jab so booked in for that on 25th Oct.

Good luck Slyolddog and hbunny on your final Tax tomorrow, hope all goes well. Sorry if I've missed anyone else having treatment this week.

Love to all, Karen xx
CathC

Karen, how did no 7 of 10 go? Did you get home at a reasonable hour?

ETA - I see by your next post that you got home slightly earlier, although 8.20 is still late. Roll on the next 3 weeks, huh?

And how are you doing on your treadmill? I've been a bit lax lately, but am determined to get back to it today.

slyolddog - how's the cold now? I hoped it won't affect your chemo on Friday. Your last! whoo-hoo. wishing you tons of luck it goes ahead as planned.

Day 10 of 5th chemo and still feeling pretty good. Mouth is a bit sore, which is making it hard to eat, but hey, cream cakes go down smoooooth!

Received my appointment for radiotherapy - 24th Oct - which feels like another big step. So looking forward to a time when all this treatment is done.

Hugs to all the July ladies. Hope you are all keeping well.

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Slyolddog, how are you feeling today? Hope your sore throat and sniffy nose haven't amounted to anything, don't want anything to jepodise your last one! Good luck for Friday must be a lovely feeling to know this part is almost over.
Glad you enjoyed your weekend in Bath, I know what you mean about not being able to walk so far. When my boss came out to do a welfare visit at the beginning of September I met her at station and she had to ask me to slow down as I was charging ahead but at the weekend I was walking up hill to the High Street with my daughter when I had to ask her to slow down.
Glad you've got your onc appointment, hopefully you will be feeling ok on the day. I saw mine this morning and he has now referred me to Radiotherapist, hopefully I won't have to wait too long to get started.

I too have been looking more to the future as we come to the end of this part of the road to recovery. Life will never be the same for any of us, up til now I have always taken my good health for granted. Like you, I know now that chemo is certainly doable but I really don't want to have to go through it all again although the thought of recurrence is never far from my mind.

Paclitaxel 3 went ok yesterday, out of hospital by 8.20 so slightly earlier than last week. 3 weeks to go 😀

Hugs, Karen x
Slyolddog

Hello July ladies

Is everyone enjoying the miserable weather?? With the fluctuations in temperature at the moment I have this morning woken with a bit of a sore throat and a sniffly nose. I'm dosing myself with everything in reach to make sure my last chemo goes ahead on Friday, and praying that they don't pick up signs of an infection in my blood test tomorrow. Maybe I'll wait until Thursday to get the blood test done, I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Had a lovely few days in Bath at the end of last week, weather was reasonable and we did all the sights. However I did find by Friday, when we were walking through Royal Victoria Park that I was absolutely shattered, I had to keep aiming for the benches and then sitting and resting like a little old lady. You don't notice how tired you are when all you do is potter about at home. A bit of a lesson there to take note of.  All being well I should be back at work week commencing 3rd November, though only a phased return at first. At this precise moment I'm not looking forward to it but I should be more positive when I feel a bit better.

Karen - good luck with your treatment this afternoon, I hope it goes well for you.  And well done for using your treadmill, I haven't used mine for a few weeks now, I really should get back to it.

lilac55 - have a good trip to Barcelona. How did you get on finding reasonable travel insurance?

Cath - glad to see you're coming out of your SE's. The final date is not too far away now, it will come round really quickly.

Horseslave - its unusual for you to be down but we all have our dark days, it's good that you have your painting to keep you focused on keeping moving. Sending you good wishes and virtual chocolate cake. I always thought I'd be the only person in the world to gain weight with chemo but it seems like I'm not alone!

Shoes - I hope all goes well with your treatment this week.

JuSt - last tax today. Did it all go as planned and how did you feel afterwards? What treatment have you still got to come?

I have finally got my first appointment with the oncologist for Reading hospital. The date is next Wednesday, which is not a good day for me post this weeks chemo. Rang to change the appointment but was told the onc is on leave the week after so it would be a 2 week wait. I've decided to keep next weeks appointment and get hubby to take me, I'll be dosed up on painkillers by then waiting for my sciatica attack on thursday, if all goes as normal.  Just want to get to the finish line now.

I hope all the July ladies are doing well at whatever stage you're at, eventually we get to know what's coming and how to deal with it, sort of. I pray that none of us ever have to go through it again, I find that the most daunting thought. I could do it if I had to but I absolutely don't want to.  Must keep positive! Especially as I've got some hair regrowth now too, although not much.

Have a good week ladies, wishing you all good luck with treatment and big bear hugs just because we need them! XX

Karen2609

Horseslave, are you having radiotherapy or are you finished after chemo? I go onto half pay in early November but won't even have started rads by then. As the hospital where I will be having it done and my work are so far away from each other I can't see me being able to go back until after Christmas.

Sorry you're not happy with recon so far, I agree they don't seem to keep us informed on that side of things. My recon is delayed so apparently they won't even discuss it until 6 - 12 months after rads and then I will have to go onto waiting list. When I had mastectomy I was given impression recon would be around a years time realistically now looks more like 2 years.

Hope you start to feel a bit better soon, not long until your last chemo. Maybe once you've recovered from the Se's you will feel a bit brighter.

Hi Cath, glad to hear your legs are feeling a bit better. I had a short go on treadmill this morning and really enjoyed it, hope it's not just the novelty factor I feel like a kid with a new toy at the moment!

Not too long until your last chemo either, at least you will be finished this month - Woohoo😃. I'm off after lunch to number 7 of 10 , I'm resigned to having a long wait and being there all evening and I'm not going to let it get to me. I have spoken to some people in there who haven't got out until midnight!! Compared with that 9pm doesn't seem too bad.

Time for cream scone and cup of tea before I leave, hope everyone has a good day

Xx
CathC

lilac55 - congrats on wearing your wig out for its first outing. I haven't been that brave yet, although I will have do it this week as I need photos for my blue badge.

Sorry to hear your suffering from the dreaded SE's, but go you, fitting in a trip to Barcelona. The only thing keeping me going is the thought of going somewhere fun and warm in the New Year, when, hopefully, my treatment will be over.

Shoes - how's the breathing today?

Karen - how are the legs now? Mine still aren't behaving, but they are getting better. With the treadmill remember to build it up gently, and only do what you want to do. My first attempt, actually, my first couple of attempts didn't last more than 5 mins. lol

Good luck with your appointment this afternoon. Here's hoping you get home early this time.

Hi Horseslave - you sound really down. I guess not sleeping will do that to you. I don't know how you function without it.

Can't you talk to your doctors about your recon if you're not happy with it? surely, in this day and age, they can do something about it. As for the mobility with your arm, I know exactly what you mean. I really thought I would have full mobility back by now after my snb, but it still catches and needs exercising.

Good luck for your last chemo on the 23rd. Mine's on the 29th - hopefully - so not too far behind you.

Day 8 of 5th chemo and my brain is starting to come alive again. Not helpful in the middle of the night, but great to be clear-headed this morning.

Sending huge hugs to all the July ladies and hoping you're all keeping well.

Cath

Horseslave

Awake again at an unholy hour! Been up,since 3am. Got my shopping delivery done, every cloud....
Read through all your posts. Sorry for those having horrid Side effects, it won't be forever.x

One more chemo to do on the 23rd! Then thats it! I have already had my mastectomy and joke of a recon. What a mess. Uncomfortable Saline thing that they will pump up in the future. Looks rubbish.feels like I have a crumpled whoopee cushion poking out. Bet Angelina Jolie hasn't got to put up with that. Ha!

So, I expect they will sort that out, sort the other side out to match at a later stage. They don't tell you much, i feel as though we find out via osmosis.
Still recovering from the lymph node surgery, which has bothered me far, far more. I am an artist and its been like some sort of sick joke to lose mobility due to nerve damage in my right arm. However, I am determined to get it back and avoid lymphodema or whatever its called, so spend evry morning painting, drawing, getting that arm moving regardless of discomfort.

Theres many other things to take on board and endure beside chemo, during this journey.

Back to work january, whatevr. As I would go into half pay then , so no way can I stay off longer. I would really like to have another 6 months off to recover fully from chemo and surgery but if wishes were horses.....

Karen2609

Hi Shoes, hope you got on ok at dr's. Were they able to do anything to help your breathing? I'm there at 1.30 next Thurs so I will most probably still be in waiting room when you get there. I'll be the one who looks like a scarecrow!

Lilac, now that your wig has had its first outing next time will probably be easier. I do admire you going off to Barcelona before your next treatment, hope you have a wonderful time. You might not find Tax too bad, I felt better after Tax than Fec but unfortunately picked up an infection which left me hospitalised for a week so I wasn't allowed to have it again.

Cath, my legs don't feel right this week either. Really achy as if I've walked miles but I haven't! Treadmill was a bit bigger than I realised so couldn't put it where I'd planned and have had to leave in living room at the moment. Hoping to have a go tomorrow before chemo. Hope your legs are feeling a bit better now, don't rush back onto treadmill if you don't feel up to it. Plenty of time after all this is over to work off those cakes. All my clothes are getting very tight now but I'm not going out and buying a bigger size so will have to get my act together at some stage.

3rd Paclitaxel tomorrow, my appointment isn't until 2.30 again but hoping to be out of there before 9 this time, however I don't hold out much hope,

Love to all, Karen x
shoes220

karen what time are you there i am 2 pm. I am also on omeprazol 30mg 1 in the morning and 2 at night as i have a hiatus hernia and get bad heart burn and bile at night. Chemo brain drives me nuts to of to docs today breathing not to good.
lilac55

It's pouring with rain so lying in bed reading your blogs.It has taken me longer to shake of the b.......y 

SE this time,more emotional.Anyway pulled myself together and went to wedding of my daughters best friend wearing my WIG .it's first outing!!!!!!.normally a party girl but bed at 10pm.At least next day at breakfast I didn't have a hangover.

Start docetaxel next time with AC so worried about extra SE .Fitting in girls trip to Barcelona first,.Am I mad?

Jealous that most of you finishing chemo soon .it will be January before my last one so please 

Keep posting .best wishes to you all you july girls.

CathC

Shoes good luck for tomorrow.  I hope your breathing improves.

Karen, also good luck for tomorrow. Glad to know you haven't overdosed on omepraole - it's so easy to read the instructions wrong, especially the way we are at the minute. A good warning for us all.

Have fun on the treadmill.

I haven't been on my treadmill for a week now. Legs not behaving - shaky, achy and weak. I'm not sure whether that's to do with the chemo or my AS, but I'm determined to get back to it this week. Have to do something to work off all those cakes.

Wishing everyone a SE-free week.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

JuSt - sorry to hear your last chemo has been put back a day, it's so frustrating when this happens but at least it's only a day and your last one. Make the most of your extra good day tomorrow and hope all goes well Tuesday with minimal SE's.

BerkshireLass - glad you got out for a couple of hours last night even if you did have to come home early. You'll have to make up for it at the next party you go to, hopefully not long now before you feel more normal. Hate the insomnia which comes with chemo, unfortunately I've got a feeling it may last for a while yet. Will be especially hard to deal with once back to work.

Cath - hope you managed to get out and about for a while today, much as I love snuggling up on sofa it does tend to make you a bit stir crazy. Nice to get out for some fresh air before the rain hits. My treadmill is finally going to be delivered tomorrow, just hope I've got the energy to actually use it now!

Shoes - I haven't got bone ache yet either, hopefully we will avoid it on the paclitaxel but like you my mouth feels awful. I feel for you having to have all those injections, your poor bruised stomach. I'm back on Tuesday for my next chemo but the week after I'm in on Thursday so maybe we will bump into each other. Hope you don't have any further problems with your breathing and that you manage to stay out of hospital.

Bit of a panic today, found out this morning that I have been overdosing on omeprazole for the past couple of weeks. When on Docetaxol I was taking 40mg morning and evening when my chemo changed my onc dropped it to 30mg but I didn't realise I should have only been taking once a day. It's only when I noticed I was running out this morning that I checked the label. Luckily when I rang the chemo unit they didn't appear overly concerned, think I'll blame chemo brain but have to make sure I read all meds properly from now on.

Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep, I'm off to bed now and will hopefully sleep through the thunderstorms forecast.

Hugs, Karen x
shoes220

Cath i am short of breath but taking my inhaler and trying not to land in hospital. Mouth tastes awful but no bone ach yet
shoes220

Karen i am not having the white cell injections. I am on heparin for my blood clots and the bruises are huge.
Due next one on Thursday you never know we might bump into each other.
CathC

Good luck with the lung guy on the 22nd  shoes. Hope he can do something to help with your copd.

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose mind has wandered off. lol

BerkshireLass - glad to hear your nausea has finally gone. Go and treat yourself to something nice and sinful.

How did the dinner dance go? And how did the new dress look? I bet you knocked 'em out.

ETA: I see in your later post that you managed to stay till 10 - good for you. Did you get any sleep at all after that?

Nothing worse than a restless night. Hope you can nap today.

Karen, yup, I enjoyed my 'drunk' day - slept most of it away, and yes, there was cake, thanks for asking.

How are you feeling today? Sounds like you don't have energy for much? It's a gorgeous autumn day out, hope you're enjoying it.

JuSt - great to hear from you and glad everything is going well. Last tax on Tuesday! whoo-hoo. I know it's a day late, but Tuesday will be here before you know it.

Best of luck and fingers crossed all goes well.

Day 6 of 5th chemo. Still feeling a  bit wobbly, but not as bad as the last few days. I intend to get out of the house for a bit today. I don’t care where I go as long as I can feel the breeze on my face.

Hope all the July ladies are having a great SE-free weekend.

Hugs

Cath

BerkshireLass

Karen2609. Yes I can see lots of clothes being unwearable post op. Suspect that evening dresses will be hard to come by, as if they aren't hard enough to get right already.

I did manage to enjoy a couple of hours this evening, but was home by 10 as was getting to tired (and with tiredness comes nausea). Fortunately was very local so husband brought me home then when back to join the party. He didn't come back home til gone 1:30. It's now 4:30am and I've been tossing and turning for a good hour when all I want to do is sleep. Gggrrrrr!

JuSt. Like your glass story. Chemo fog definitely a reality
JuSt

Hi all, just having a quick catch-up with all your posts - lots to read!  The last few about chemo brain made me laugh as I have just come up to bed for the night having got a glass out of the cupboard for my night-time drink, carried it upstairs then realised I forgot to put the water in it!  Glad it's not just me lol.

Was due for last tax on Monday but had a wasted trip to the hospital for my review on Friday as my onc was off sick and they tried to get someone to cover her appointments but eventually came back to say they had been unable to so had to re-jig the reviews for Monday so chemo put back to Tuesday.  Oh well, at least I get an extra 'good' day on Monday before it all starts again.  Had been really looking forward to getting the last one over and done with, but not so keen now it's nearly here - think it's just the thought of those dreaded se's kicking in in a few days.

Sorry not got time to catch up with everyone individually but sending hugs and best wishes to all,

speak soon,

JuSt

x