1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Slyolddog

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Yes, it has been quiet on here lately Karen, like you say, I think we're all gearing up for Christmas.  I can't remember when you start your rads, I have a feeling its after Christmas though. If so are you enjoying the break from treatment?

I'm 15 rads down with just the 3 boosters to go. Things have gone reasonably well so far, only a couple of days with delays, sometimes going in early and so far just a pink and slightly sore boob, although I do know that the effects can take a while to come out.  I seem to have been on a different energy path to other people, sleeping well with chemo despite the steroids and now feeling quite energetic on rads despite the daily routine.Having said that it is only monday and i do know I'll get more tired as the week goes on. I'm off to Legoland on Friday with both of my kids plus my sons wife and his children, I hope it stays dry as I'm looking forward to doing something a bit different. 

Cath, how are your rads going, looking forward to Thursday?? How's the skin holding out? I'm going to fair skip out of the hospital when I'm done. I will be buying some treats to take in for the staff, they have been really good on the whole.

hbunny - how are you doing, have you finished yet and if so how did it go?  If not, how is it going? It feels almost unreal to know the treatment is nearly over.

Flossie - is your new wig a replacement or is it the first wig?  I've been thinking about buying another, the one I use is ok but has lost a few hairs. It's currently sat in the airing cupboard on its stand having just had a wash. My hair is growing back patchy so far, more on the left side than the right and not so much at the front.  If only mince pies made hair grow quicker. The special shampoo I've been using has not yet given me flowing locks!

Shoes - did you get the dates for your rads, when do you start?  Hopefully you're felling a bit better every day.  I've only just finished our tree tonight, it's way too big!

JuSt - how's your throat and chest now, better I hope.  How's your hair, do you look like Charlie Drake yet??

I saw the Occupational Health doctor at work last week about my progress and increasing my hours. He proposed I stay office bound for 4 weeks post rads and increase my hours by 2 a week. This seemed awfully low but then he suggested he would review this mid January, which is not too bad. I wouldn't have minded so much but his report was already mostly written by the time I walked in the room! Hardly tailored to me at all, and he wouldn't be shifted on what he'd decided. Men!

Well, I'd best off to bed as it's getting late. I hope everyone's doing ok and there are just few posts as we're busy sorting Christmas and getting on with normal life, that thing we all looked forward to.

Take care ladies, sweet dreams. Heart

Karen2609

Evening Ladies,

Hi Cath, last week of rads, wow you are so nearly there. Will be great to relax and enjoy Christmas next week with all treatment completed. Hope all continues to go well this week and that your skin holds up! I so admire you getting on the treadmill I still keep meaning to...

Hi Candyflossie, you are so nearly there too and at least you will be all done by Christmas. Hope your skin is ok too. Glad you enjoyed your Christmas party, I don't feel like partying this year as still feel very conscious of my prosthesis, think I will still be stuck with it next Christmas too but maybe I'll be more used to it by then. Gave in to the mince pies and hubby opened one of the boxes of chocolates tonight, I def need to get on that treadmill in the New Year.

Hi Shoes, hope your rads are going ok?

Bit quiet on here recently, busy time with Christmas coming up. I'm determined to have a good time this year to celebrate this year being over and hope that 2015 is a happier one for us all.

Hugs, Karen x
Candyflossie

Hi Karen, CathC 

Just thought I'd say hello and hope you are having a good weekend. I have 2 more rads + 5boosters left yippee that went quick and so far not a great deal of SE's, only slightly tender boob.

Yesterday went to work Christmas do, it was a good one and made me feel quite normal.

Mince pies - check! had quite a few, but not too worried, as some of the weight i've put on during TAX is off already.

I have bought a new wig to last me for a couple of months, that's how long I think will take for the hair to completely cover my head. You are right about white hair, too young for that...

Have a lovely weekend and look forward to ending this dreadful process.

Love,

Flossie xx

CathC

Hi Karen

Brilliant news on your rads finish date, and that they'll be incorporating the boosters into your normal rads. I can understand the relief of knowing that the end of the year will bring the end of your treatment.

Yes, still on my treadmill - not doing lots but trying to do a bit every day. Trying to pre-empt the eventual weight gain when the taste buds come back properly. lol

Weather is pretty horrible here at the moment and I hate the thoughts of having to drive in it. *sigh* Oh well, we've been lucky so far and I've only one more week to go. *does happy dance*

Hugs to all the July ladies.

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Lilac, congrats on finishing your chemo. I still have achy legs and trouble walking up stairs some days and I'm 5 weeks post chemo. Def easing though and some days are better than others.

Hi Cath, thanks for the updates on boosters. Glad they seem to be going well, sounds like you are nearly done now. Had my first rads session today and some good news, apparently my treatment plan has changed and my boosts will be incorporated into normal rads so I will only need 15 sessions, my last being 31st Dec. Psychologically this was a real 'boost', just knowing I will be finished active treatment this year made me feel better.

Think I was being a bit too smug about my regrowth, just been examining hair in mirror AGAIN and noticed that most of the stuff on top and at sides is very def white!!!

Managed to resist the mince pies so far but did go out for pre rads big breakfast this morning! Are you still using your treadmill? I haven't been on mine for ages but will make a determined effort in the New Year.

Hope everyone is well and snuggled up indoors away from the horrible weather, although not too bad here at the moment.

Karen x
CathC

Karen - your hair seems to be growing back very quickly. Mine's still little more than fluff, and grey fluff at that. *Cry* I'm hoping it darkens soon I'm too young to be grey.

Yup, boosters started today. Have to say, not liking them so far. There was quite a bit of waiting about and they had me with my hand raised over my head, which was a bit painful. Eventually, I asked could I put it down until the girl came in to check the measurements, which was a good fifteen minutes later!

So come on, fess up, did you resist the mince pies? lol

Lilcac- congrats on finishing your chemo! Whoo-hoo! It's a great feeling knowing you won't have any more and your next good week will remain your good week.

Hope the legs feel better soon.

As for radiotherapy SE's. So far mine are mainly tiredness and an achy boob. Skin hasn't burnt so far. *Touches wood.*

For anyone moving on to boosters and wondering what they're like. They're pretty similar to the 'normal' ones except you use the mould they took on your planning visit and, in my case, I'm lying on my left side so the beam can be directed at my right boob where the cancer was. The machine has an added bit on the end - narrow and square - which comes a lot closer to your body, but the machine itself doesn't move.

I'm not sure if it stings more because my wound site is a bit sore from stretching today. *Reminds self to do arm exercises*

Good luck to anyone going through treatment this week.

Onwards and upwards, ladies.

Hugs

Cath

lilac55

Morning July ladies.have been trying to post but keeps getting lost in cyber space.!!!!

It seems most of you are managing the radiotherapy.Any big side effects?

I am 6 days post finale tax.had reaction during infusion so relieved no more.legs and pelvis aching.OMG stairs are painful.Am keeping away from the public to avoid bugs and keep out of hospital. Can't believe the chemo is over.

During night have been reading back posts.wish I had joined earlier.when feeling so alone you are such a great support.Thank you

Wishing everyone a good week.look after yourselves.hugs Gill

Karen2609

Evening Ladies

Candyflossie, hope your rads went ok today, my legs are still very achy and heavy too. Sometimes it seems they are back to normal and then they ache again. Stairs seem to be a bit of a problem too some days but other days I'm fine. I'm also keeping a photographic record of my hair, I've noticed that its not all growing back white/grey the back seems mostly brown.

Hi Shoes, glad the CT scan went ok and that you are feeling a bit better. I will look out for you when having rads, like you I don't know my times yet.

Hi Cath, hope your rads are continuing to go ok, sorry my memory is terrible are you moving onto the boosters tomorrow?

Need to snuggle on the sofa with my blanket and a cuppa, my feet and nose are freezing!! Got to resist the mince pies.

Take care all

Hugs, Karen x
CathC

Hi JuSt - so glad the CT scan went well.

Acid reflux is horrible. I get it the odd time at night. It's very frightening when the acid burns up your throat and chokes you. *Shudder* I haven't had it affect me during the day, though, although I've never stopped taking my lansopraole so maybe that has helped.

How did your party night go? Did you wear your wig?

Karen - Congrats on getting the One Direction tickets. I know people who were camping out all weekend in Belfast to get tickets. Enjoy being flavour of the month for once. lol

I've no idea how different boosters are from normal rads. I do know that it's focused mainly on where the cancer was, as opposed to the whole boob. Maybe someone can chime in with their experiences of boosters?

Flossie - sorry to hear you're still having muscle aches in your legs, but whoo hoo only being almost half way through rads. We all seem to be on the count down now.

Hugs

Cath

shoes220

Hi all thanks for all your wishes. Feeling a bit better tonight.  Tree up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hubby has got some good uses. CT was okay but after watching them trying to get the canular in for the dye i can now see why the doc insisted i had a pick line put in. Karen you never know we may bump into each other in the rads clinic find out my times on thursday. Sorry cant remember everyones post so in genral i hope that you all are looking forward to the end of this year i know i am. Keep well all.

Candyflossie

Hi July ladies,

Nearly half way through rads 12 more to go and so far so good.

I simpathise with you Just, I have a lump in my throat feeling nearly constantly, I have no idea what causes it and plan to ask the oncologist, hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment.

Muscle ache in my legs is still there, although has improved slightly. You are all right about we may look fine on the outside, but there is a lot of repair work going on the inside which will take months if not years. I don't like the sound of it, but it is the reality. I guess the alternative of not having treatment would have been pretty bleak, so that's where I find my consolation.Woman Frustrated

Christmas will be here soon, but like some of you, tree isn't up yet, maybe next weekend we'll get a real one and put it up.

My obsession at the moment is hair growth and started having a weekly session of photos to see difference. I have also seen the photos/video of Laura Price and it gave me some sense of progress, as she described some of the emotions that no doubt all of us went and are still going through. It's good to have an idea of how long different stages take and I can see some light at the end of this long tunnel.

Take care and lots of hugs,

Flossie xx

Karen2609

Evening Ladies, chilly one tonight!

Hi Slyolddog, hope you enjoyed your lie in this morning. At least you are halfway through now and by this time next week will be nearly over. Your cording sounds awful, hope you manage to get it sorted soon. It does seem like everytime we feel we are getting there another obstacle appears x

Hi Wendy, you must be so looking forward to your leave I do admire you going back so soon. Sorry to hear they are piling on the pressure though. It's funny that we all keep being told how well we look, I do think that I make more effort than I did before treatment when I know I'm going to see people I know. I don't want to look ill or have people feeling sorry for me but maybe this attitude doesn't do us any favours as although we look fine on the outside I doubt any of us will be the same inside. Have a lovely weekend then just a few days to get through at work x

Hi Cath, hope you are enjoying your drive free weekend. I'm actually flavour of the month with one of my teenagers at the moment as I managed to get her 12th row seats to see One Direction at the O2. Won't last though!

Good luck with your last normal rad before the boosters. Do you know if the procedure is any different for the boosts?

Hope the Christmas shopping went well, I really need to motivate myself in that direction x

Hi JuSt, sorry to hear you are having problems with your chest/throat, although if the lansoprozle has eased some of the symptoms maybe the feeling of lump in your throat wll just take a bit longer to fade. It does sometimes feel like one thing after another though. Glad you got your CT scan done now.

Have a wonderful time at the party, I like the sound of the Annie Lennox look! A good night out sounds like just what you need and it's so nice to be able to do normal things for a while. Enjoy🎉 x

Shoes, hope your scan went ok today and that you start to feel better soon x

Hugs, Karen x
JuSt

Hi Ladies - hope everyone is getting better and stronger each day.  I had my CT scan Monday - the lovely nurse on the chemo ward said she'd put me a 'big one' in, (just in case of which procedure I was having done) which was pretty painful and also turned out to be unnecessary as the staff at the scan said I didn't need one that large! Oh well, at least she found my vein first time so I was pleased to know I have one left in my non-surgery side that still works!

Have been having an issue with chest, then throat pain along with noisy breathing when I lie down.  The suspect is acid reflux - anyone else have this?  Have been put back on lansoprazole and the pain has eased but I still have a feeling of a lump in my throat and a gurgling rattle in there.  Am hoping it will go away on its own, but has been there quite a while now so I have to go back to GP in a few weeks if no better to see about having a camera down throat.  I was really hoping to just feel better by Christmas!

Shoes - hope your scan has gone ok today and that you get some answers and sorted out really soon x

Karen - I also had my rads start date put back by almost a week and was told it was because of a delay in the planning of my treatment so hopefully that is just something that happens sometimes due to logistics rather than because a particular case is complicated - I was told it was just because there are several people involved in the planning.  Good luck with rads from Weds x

WP23 - you must really be looking forward to your five weeks off.  I think you have done great to work as much as you have - yes, we want to get back to 'normal' but it's hard when people don't make any concessions just because we look well.  Hope you have a lovely rest and recharge x

Slyolddog - cording is horrid isn't it?  II asked if I should be referred for physio or something but was told no, just keep stretching it and massaging it.  Did you get told anything more specific? I heard about one lady who had similar and that it did take about a year but her arm improved, so hopefully we'll get there x

CathC - Get that tree up!! Just kidding - have managed to get ours out of the loft and on it's stand but it's just stood there looking pretty sad now surrounded by lots of boxes of lights, decorations etc - as you say, manana (can't work out how to get the little squiggle on the n!).  I like that word more and more lately! Hope you have a restful weekend x

Wishing a restful weekend to you all - unless you're gonna go out and party like I am tonight.  Well, can't miss out on the annual treat of a meal and disco, even though I feel guilty for not being back at work.  Had better go get myself glammed up - to wig or not to wig? that is the question.  I have now gone from 'Sinead' when I shaved my hair off (and it was still fairly dark) to Annie Lennox now it has come back pretty white!  Am wondering who I'll turn into next - probably Charlie Drake as it looks like it's going a bit curly!

Hugs to all,

JuSt

xx

CathC

Hi Karen, how did the glass of wine and Elf film go?

My youngest won't watch TV with us either, he's always on his phone or laptop. Guess we're not 'cool' enough. Can't wait till he's through his teens.

Slyolddog - cording sounds so painful. How are the exercises going?

Hope you're enjoying your weekend - no driving and no treatment. I know I am.

And good that you're half way through. I've had 14 rads, 1 more 'normal' one to go on Monday then it's 8 boosters. So all-in-all we both only have 9 to go. Whoo-hoo!

Wendy - bet you can't wait to go on leave. People do assume once treatment is over that you're back to normal. Outwardly we may look fine, but it's gonna take a long time to get back to full health. Be good to yourself.

Good luck with the pressie shopping.

I haven't put my tree up yet. It all seems like too much work. I will probably put it up next weekend. (Yes, that's my version of mañana . LOL)

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Hi Ladies

Slyolddog - the cording sounds horrible, on top of everything else it must be a real drag! half way through rads:) fabulous, hope you have had a nice lie in today 🙂 enjoy that glass of something x

Karen - yes I have 5 weeks leave and finish this Thursday coming - yippee, work has not been the best lately, same old you look ok so we will pile on the pressure:( my nurse was not impressed when I told her that yesterday!!!
I have put my xmas tree up too, going to get some more pressies today.
Enjoy your glass of red and "Elf"x

Cath - hope you enjoy a drive free weekend, the traveling is more tiring than the actual rads while you are having it. Make sure you get plenty of rest while you can x

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Wendy x

Slyolddog

Evening ladies

Well, 9 down and 9 to go. Feeling ok, just a little bit sore so far. I did struggle to drag myself out of bed this morning though, looking forward to a lie in tomorrow.

Went to see the BCNS this afternoon about the pain in my arm. I have cording, which is why if now hurts down to my forearm. Apparently it can go right into the palm of the hand. I need to massage it every day in the hope that it eventually 'snaps'! Really looking forward to that day I can tell you. I had previously looked at pictures of cording on the Internet but didn't think I had it as the pictures are horrendous. My BCN sats that the bit I can see, which looks like cat gut under my arm, is probably not as bad as what can't be seen. Anyway, just another thing to add to the list of body breakdowns.

I hope everyone has a good weekend planned, especially if it involves plenty of rest. Here's to a glass of something to lift the spirits. Keep smiling, soon be Christmas! Xx
Karen2609

Hi Wendy, good that you are on 6 not 12 months herceptin, hopefully the time will fly by. Am I right in thinking its you having 5 weeks leave at Christmas? If so you must be starting that soon.

Yes, I am having rads to the left side and I know that means they have to be extra careful because of the heart. I've been thinking about why my plan should be complicated and think it may be because the tumour was very deep and close to the chest wall, so much so that they couldn't get clear margins. Maybe that affects it?

Hi Cath, I didn't realise you had to travel 3 hours a day too. No wonder you feel so tired, hope you enjoy a driving free weekend. Have you got many left?

Christmas tree up and as it's the weekend going to treat myself to a glass of red and watch Elf with the kids, well the youngest at least I'm sure my girls will disappear to their rooms with their phones after 5 minutes.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend

Karen x
CathC

Shoes, glad the planning meeting went well and that you got your start date. But how miserable for you that you're still being sick. Hope the CT scan finds out what's wrong.

Karen, so sorry to hear your rads have been pushed back. And it's not pathetic at all. Delays are upsetting. We all want to have our treatment over. As for them using the word complicated. I'm with Wendy. I wish people would think before they speak. Ghrrr!

Slyolddog - I spent the same amount of time travelling - almost 3 hours and it is so tiring. Mind you, the days really are flying in. At the moment I'm just looking forward to the weekend and being able to kick back with NO driving.

Rad no 13 this morning, let's hope it's a lucky one and I won't have to wait too long.

Hope all the July ladies are doing well and not suffering too many SE's.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Hi Karen

I am having 6 months of Herceptin, im not sure I would be able to last out for 12 months of the stuff!!

Sorry to hear your rads has been put back, im sure the comment about being complicated doesn't mean anything bad, but I do wish that people would think before they speak, comments like that just make us worry more. I would ask why that was said, just to put your mind at rest. Are you left or right side? left is more complicated because of the position of the heart.

Take care

Wendy

PS hope all you lovely July ladies are well 🙂
Karen2609

Thanks Slyolddog, hearing about your travelling times I feel a bit guilty for moaning now. Mine should only take about 40 minutes each way depending on traffic. Hope yours are going ok and not too sore.

At least the finish line is now in sight!!

X
Slyolddog

Hi Karen

I know exactly how you feel having your rads put back. Mine was only put back one day but that upset me. We are still ticking to our individual treatment clocks and dates become obsessively important. I hope once you get started you don't spend too much time on the travelling. I'm 7 down now with 11 to go. All well so far but an average of 2and a half to 3 hours out of my day for 10 minutes of treatment. Bummer.

It will soon be all over. Keep the faith ladies! Xx
Karen2609

Hi to all July Ladies

Wendy, sorry to hear you are having such a rubbish time with herceptin, have you got to have it for a year or 6 months? Sorry I know you've prob said before but my memory is rubbish. Hope you can get something soon to make the SE's a bit more bearable.

Cath, really glad you enjoyed the LGFB session, they are great and such a wonderful idea. Good to hear you getting through the rads.

Shoes, sorry to hear you're still being sick. At least you have dates for rads and CT scan now. Wishing you well, you've been through enough c**p this year you deserve to start feeling better soon.

Due to start my rads tomorrow but had phone call this morning to say my treatment plan hasn't been finalised as its 'complicated' and needs signing off by consultant so first treatment has been delayed until next Weds. Sounds pathetic but I was really upset, just seem to have encountered delays every step of the way. Was told rads should start within 3 weeks of last chemo, this will be 5. Wish I'd asked why my treatment plan is complicated.

Anyway got a grip now and appreciate that Shoes has had to wait a lot longer than me for rads to start so I'll shut up moaning.

Wendy, I'm with you in hoping 2015 going to be a better year for us all.

Sending love
Karen x
shoes220

Hi all planning meeting went well even though i was sick at the hospital [people avoid you as they think you have the norav sickness].  Start rads on the 11th dec. I know i had 2 tattos but cant find them a bit like you karen. Just had a call and having CT on Saturday.  So should find out soon what is wrong as this sickness is making me feel rubbish.

Thanks for all with your comments i am so glad that no one else has had to put up with what i have gone through i think its something to do with my age as i am 63 and have other illnesses.

CathC

hbunny - I did enjoy the LGFG session, thanks. And WOW! do you get a lot of goodies. It was lovely too, to talk to other ladies all on different stages of the cancer journey.

Karen - the products seem really good and I thought I'd give them a go. I'm not one for toning and moisturising my skin, but I guess it can't hurt and it's nice to feel pampered.

Thanks for the tip on Lush shampoo soap. My hair is finally starting to reappear - well, if you have a magnifying glass. lol

Wendy - cold sores in your nose are hateful. I've just got rid of mine. They lasted almost 6 weeks! It sounds like your immunity is low. Being back at work must be so tiring. Remember to take rest whenever you can and good luck with your Herceptin injection on Friday.

Going for rad no 12 today. They days are flying in, but they are tiring. Can’t wait for it all to be over. Roll on 2015.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Good morning July ladies,

There has been so many posts lately 🙂 really good to hear that everyone is moving on and getting through treatment.

Hope you feel a million dollars after your LGFB session Cath, they are a real boost aren't they, and all that free make up !:)

Shoes - I hope you get your CT scan really quickly and start to feel better soon, you have been through the mill x

It is a proper winters morning here, everything white with frost 🙂 hopefully it will kill of any bugs that are around.
Cant wait to put Christmas tree up 🙂 there are lots up already, I think everyone needs a feel good factor.

I have my 3rd Herceptin on Friday "eek" it stings quite a lot. I have developed cold sores in my nose and have generally felt quite rubbish since starting Herceptin, but onc says it is the cumulative effect and I keep getting passed from GP to onc and back again with none of them giving me anything!! also back up to my full 4 days at work now so that is tiring, I don't know how some ladies work through it all, I really admire them.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, 2015 has got to be better than 2014 girls eh?!

Have a good day

Wendy x
Karen2609

Hi Shoes, hope your rads planning meeting went ok, I was surprised how quick it was! Hope you get a date for your CT scan soon and get to find out what's been causing all your sickness. You really have been through the mill with treatment.

Hi Slyolddog, wine and crisps/chocolate sounds very nice for a weekend treat, it's nice to have something to look forward too. I wish I'd watched the Michael Palin programme, it sounds really good and quite fancy a bit of spooky viewing.

Hi Cath, hope you enjoy your LGFB session, it really gave me a boost and I am using most of the products most days. Seems like you are getting through the rads quite quickly, although I appreciate it may not feel that way to you but at least you will be all done by Christmas.

Hi hbunny, sorry to hear you are still suffering with your veins are still suffering, it's so true that the hidden effects of chemo can be long lasting. Glad you enjoyed the wine, although not the se's. Nearly done with your rads too 😊

Talking of hair, despite using cold cap I lost most of mine from underneath but saw on one of these threads about Lush shampoo bar. I've been using for a couple of weeks and it is definitely thickening up and shampoo smells lovely. Because it's a bar it will last for ages which is lucky as quite expensive.

Bit of a cold, miserable day here will have to start thinking about putting the tree up. I love Christmas

Hugs, Karen
hbunny

Enjoy you lgfb session Cath. Lots of goodies for Christmas.
CathC

hbunny - alcohol may  give us SE's but I'm guessing we'll all persevere with it. lol

Good luck with the last full rad - do speak to the nurses and see if they can give you anything for your rash. you've done really well to stay burn-free up to this.

I still have another 5 rads to go before my boosters. Seems a lot, but the days are flying in. Today I also have my LGFG session. Looking forward to that.

Hugs to all the July ladies.

Cath

hbunny

Hi ladies, shoes, really sorry you are still going through the mill, I will be rooting for you when you have your ct and hope rads go well.  

Cath the wine was lovely, I really enjoyed it, but like you alcohol appears to make the hot flushes worse, so didn't sleep, sometimes you just can't win.  One last full rad and the rest are boosts, which is just as well cos I have a rather sore and itchy chest now.  I was supposed to have a review every week too, but only been seen once so far, could have done with that tonight.  Will be watching to see how the shampoo goes with bated breath.   Good luck on the hunt the Christmas pressies, hope they turn up soon lol.

Like some of you still have rock hard veins and painful muscles in the chemo arm, but resigned to a long struggle with that one.

Also watching Remember Me, it's got me gripped, but it is grim up north.

Hugs.  Hbunny xx

CathC

hbunny - congrats on finishing your Christmas shopping. I have no idea where I am with mine. I bought some stuff weeks ago, but chemo brain has struck and I can't remember all I bought, or even where I put it.

Good luck with the last two weeks of rads.

Horseslave I still have tenderness and stiffness in my chemo arm. Nurse tried to take blood today and none would come out. She said a lot of the veins were still rigid. I guess it will take months (maybe even years) for them to return to normal.

Shoes, sorry to hear you're having such a miserable time of it. Do you have a date for your ct scan?

How did your planning appointment go today?

Slyolddog - did you get any answer from the bc nurse re your op arm?

Glad your rads at Bracknell went well. Are you still there, or back at your usual hospital?

Like you my skin has been fine so far *touches wood* Radiologist checks in every week too, in my case on a Tuesday. I'm hoping she won't look for me tomorrow as I'm going for my LGFG day straight after rads.

Do let me know if the shampoo makes any difference. I have a tiny bit of regrowth. My son says I look like a kiwi so I think I'll keep my scarf on for another while. lol

Good luck with the rest of your sessions.

Darn it, just read your last paragraph and mention of Michael Palin. Totally forgot to watch the second part of Missing you last night. D'oh!

Good luck to all having treatment this week. Hope you’re all staying well.

Hugs

Cath

Slyolddog

Shoes - so sorry you're still not feeling well, any idea how soon you'll have your scan?  Hopefully you'll start feeling better before you start rads, it's no fun sitting in a waiting room at hospital feeling ill.  At least you have the end in sight, even if it is after Christmas.

Horseslave - sorry, can't help with the problem in your chemo arm. My op arm is still bad and getting worse, I'm going to txt the BCN's tomorrow and see if I get a response this time. I'd suggest you go and see your GP about your arm though, they should be able to help. Good luck with it.

hbunny - how did the wine go??? I've had a couple of glasses of red myself this week, emnjoyed the first enormously then found the second was starting to give me a hot flush, which reminded me why I gave it up. I'm Ok with white so I'll go back to that, although it doesn't have the health benefits of red. I don't drink a lot but the odd glass now and then is a treat. Specially when served with a little chocolate or a bag of crisps!!

Cath - radiotherapy at Bracknell was fine. Took me as long to get there as it does to get to Reading. They were running late on Friday so just the 3 and a half hour round trip, including arriving early as asked, then waiting an hour. Not impressed but hey ho, all in a days work. How are yours going, well I hope.

JuSt - glad you've finished your rads. Good luck for tomorrow and your CT scan and I hope all goes well with the cannula.

Things are still going reasonably well, I have a quick meeting with a nurse tomorrow after rads to check my skin, apparently that will happen every Monday. Not much to report on that front at the moment. The anastrazole has reawakened an old problem with my hips, if I walk for more than an hour they start to hurt, particularly the left which I already know is degenerative. If it persists I'll speak to someone but it may settle down after a while. I was chatting to a lady in Bracknell about her hair regrowth and she had been recommended a shampoo callled FAST which she thought had helped so I've bought some. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

I've had a 'normal' weekend, a bit of gardening, bit of Christmas shopping and out for a curry. All in all I'm feeling pretty good.  Just another 14 sessions of rads to go then turn a corner at last. So looking forward to next year for a fresh start, as I know others are also.

Anyway ladies, time for a bit of spookiness with Michael Palin. Do love a good drama. Have a wonderful week, let's show them what we're made of!  XX

shoes220

Hi all hope that everyone is feeling well or as well as you can be. Not been on for a while not felt to good even though i have not had chemo since the 23rd Oct. Feeling sick nearly all of the time so onc has decided that i should have a ct scan of head lungs and pelvic area. So fingers crossed. Going for planning meeting tomorrow for rads. Got three weeks with rads and the doc said it will be over christmas so have to go on a saterday after christmas.

Horseslave

Hi everyone! Hope we are all doing really well! Am I alone in feeling a bit lost or odd now the treatment and constant appointments have ended? Not in a sad sort of way but more a what now sort of way?

Tamoxifen is giving me diarroeah! Hope it makes me lose weight then!
Car decided to give up the ghost. Just before Xmas eh? Hey ho.

Can I ask, has anyone else got stiffness, tenderness in chemo arm - lower arm is crampy and tender.
Its quicker asking on here than waiting to see gps!
I really hope we are all going to be ok now and not face too many more hurdles.
hbunny

Hi Cath, just and all the other July ladies.  Congrats just on finishing roads, I can imagine the relief and the celebration must have been great with great tasting wine as well.  I'm back on Monday to start on the final 2 weeks, which im sure is going to whizz past. Had a day off work yesterday and finished my Xmas shopping, so can now relax with a bottle of red tonight.

Cath, hope you enjoyed your lie in and relaxing weekend, the are very precious.  Haven't completely sorted the swim hat, but I have found that wearing 2 at the same time, although very tight does keep the water out for a lot longer, so I can get 1/2 a mile in before getting worried.

Hope everyone enjoyed a lovely relaxing and healthy weekend - avoid the colds doing the rounds! Xx hbunny

CathC

Hi JuSt, your celebratory meal (and wine) sound just what the doctor ordered. lol Glad you enjoyed it.

Wishing you luck for getting your canula in on Monday. Hope it all goes well.

I'm enjoying my weekend off. Had a lie-in this morning, which was lovely, and the day has just flown by.

Here's hoping all the ladies are enjoying their weekend too.

Hugs

Cath

JuSt

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your thoughts on me finishing rads - all done! Whoop! Whoop!  That actually went really fast and I've been out for a celebratory meal and glass (or three!) of wine, which was lovely.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend before treatment starts again Monday and hope the time on rads goes by for you all as quickly and easily as it has for me.

I just have to face the dreaded 'canula in the buggered veins' on Monday for my CT scan, so it's back to see the chemo nurses once again and I can only hope my veins behave now (unlike my last chemo where they had given up completely) - well, I can hope 😕

Hugs to all,

JuSt

x

CathC

Hi Karen, good to hear you're feeling so well - long may it continue.

It's a relief to have 2nd week of rads over and so far...*Touch wood* no SE's.

Looking forward to the weekend, nothing to do, and nowhere to go. Bliss.

Happy weekend to all the July ladies.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Cath

Whoo hoo - 2nd week of rads done, your half way through before I've even started!

JuSt - Congrats on finishing rads.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I'm enjoying feeling pretty normal at the moment (apart from only 1 boob and an extra stone in weight)

Hugs, Karen x
CathC

Good morning ladies.

JuSt - only one more day to go to finish your rads! Whoo hoo.

Slyolddog - how did the radio appointment go at Bracknell?

Karen, how's the new short haircut feeling? Can't believe your hubby mentioned you'd put on weight! I vote you stick him in the dog house. lol

hbunny - did you sort the swim cap dilemma?

I've another early start this morning and once again it's very misty and wet. I hate driving in those conditions. Oh well, it's almost the end of the week and 2 days off from rads, and that will be the 2nd week done.

Hugs to all going through treatment.

Cath

hbunny

Hi Slyoldog pleased to hear session one went well and you never know a change of venue, even if further away might be a little kinder.  Funny you should mention finger nails lifting, I've just cut all mine off because one is lifting big time, I really thought I had got away with the nails, until the last couple of days they felt so strong.  

Get booked onto the look good feel better day, I'm sure you will enjoy the pick me up and let us know if they have any tips re nails, so much for the dark varnish!  As for eyebrows and lashes, mine are pretty non-existent too, but at least can't loose any more.

Cath, I like the idea of an old fashioned little swim cap, pink with little flowers and a chin strap but might bring more stares than the friar tuck look, what a choice.  Anyway just happy to be able to swim right now, I'm missing my yoga because all my sessions are 6.30pm and I can't do both.

Hope everyone is doing well.  There are a lot of us now following different journeys, but its always good to hear how everyone is doing.  Keep up the good fight.  Hugs hbunny

Karen2609

Hi JuSt, great news that you are on your last week of rads, so nearly there and sounds like your skin is holding up well. Hope you have a nice treat lined up for the weekend to celebrate!!

Hi Slyolddog, I too was anxious about starting hormone tablets (Letrozole in my case) reading some of the threads I thought I was going to have to put up with awful SE's. Well, early days so far but everything is fine at the moment so fingers crossed!
Glad you've got your first rads under your belt and still on course to finish on the 18th. I would def book up for a LGFB session if you need a pick up. I really enjoyed mine and it did make me feel better, I even took the time to put some on this morning.

Hi Fiona, good news that your grosheng line is our, lucky you no rads. Good luck with the tamoxifen.

Hi hbunny, glad to hear you are getting on well with the rads and have even managed a swim. I would love to go swimming but not going to be possible for me for couple of years until I've had reconstruction.

Hi Cath, well done you getting back on the treadmill! Glad to hear your skin is still holding up well on the rads. I'm sure you will enjoy your LGFB session next Tues, as well as being a boost to your confidence it's lovely to meet other ladies at different stages in this journey. I can honestly say that I would not have known any of the ladies on the session with me we're having treatment for cancer. The goodie bag is amazing too.

Took the plunge and got my hair cut today, I've never had it this short and it's going to take a lot of getting used to but the thinning wispy bits had to go. Hubby said it looks ok but would be better if I hadn't put on so much weight as the hairstyle would look better if my face wasn't so round!! What a charmer eh? Can see what he means though.
Hope everyone is having a good week
Hugs, Karen x
CathC

Oooh, so many replies. How lovely.

Karen - sorry you didn't manage to get out for a walk, but don't beat yourself up about it. When you're ready you will.

Glad you enjoyed your look good feel good session. I'm booked into one next Tuesday. Everyone raves about them so I'm looking forward to that.

Hi JuSt - can't believe you're finishing your rads this Friday. Whoo-hoo! You must be delighted. Good to hear your skin is faring well. Like you, I'm using Simple soap and lots of cream.

Slyolddog - good to hear you're feeling well. Here's hoping your radiotherapy appointment went well today.

I know what you mean about feeling angry and have had enough. I felt like that just before I started rads. To some extent, I still feel like it. I just want this whole thing over and done with so things can get back to normal.

Don't let the fact that I find rads tiring put you off. I get very tired with my AS, and I think it's just a combination of both that's left me so weak.

ETA: See you've posted about your first rads. Glad it went well. Good luck getting to Bracknell tomorrow.

Fiona00 - great news on getting your grosheng line out and knowing that your treatment is complete. Hope all goes well with your tamoxifen.

hbunny - so envious of your swim. I asked the radiologist today when I could go back to swimming and she said 3 weeks after rads finish, which is a lot sooner than I expected.

I'm sorry, but I had to smile at the vision of your hat popping off mid-swim and hitting another swimmer. No idea what you could do to make it more secure unless you buy one of those old-fashioned ones with a chinstrap. Do they even do them anymore?

Had my 6th rad today and skin still doing well. I'm back on my treadmill and trying to build my strength up again.

Hope all the other July ladies are doing well on their treatment.

Hugs to all

Cath

Slyolddog

Hi hbunny - thanks for your comments.  Well, the first one is out of the way, took me an hour to get there, a distance of 13 miles! Got parked OK, arrived early as required then sat and waited. Pre-treatment chat with nurse, she showed me my times for the rest of the week and told me 'you have had a letter telling you that your appointment tomnorrow is at Bracknell.' Sorry, what?? I've had no letter and Bracknell is further away than Reading. She then told me that they have 3 machines at Reading and when one is being serviced they move patients over to Bracknell. Got a bit uppity, told her I wanted only Reading, she said she's try and get me squeezed in for tomorrow but no go. She said not to worry, I can skip tomorrow and come back Thursday. No, I'm finishing on the 18th come what may, so after my intial upset I'm off to Bracknell tomorrow. If I find it's better I may even request it for future treatment as its a specialised cancer treatment centre. Every cloud!

Hair is still slow, more in some areas than others and very fair/grey, not sure which!  A few odd dark hairs but not as many as I would have expected. I am now finding that some of my fingernails are starting to lift, I am trying to cut them as short as possible so I don't catch them on anything. Right eyebrow still appears to be slipping away and eyelashes still absent without leave. All in all I look beautiful!! Should maybe get myself booked onto a 'look good feel better' as a pick up if nothing else.

Off to slather some cream all over the place. Have a good day everyone. XXX

hbunny

Hi Slyoldog don't give radiotherapy a thought, nothing to it, very quick and for me just a little sore and stingy at times, no real tiredness as yet and now 9 days done out of 28, however I am only 15 mins away so no real travelling like some.  Been for a nice swim, although had to hold on to my hat again, anyone know how to make it stay there I'm getting paranoid it will pop off half way through a length, however no bad reaction or soreness etc.  Well done with the treadmill you sound like you are getting your energy back and getting rid of some frustration at the same time.

I know what you mean about plastic, even cans are coated.  I think the best anyone can do is to stay away from anything processed and go for as much organic as you can afford, or find!  Free radicals can be combatted by organic sulfur and iodene and also helps to displace heavy metals if you're looking into these areas.

How's the hair growing? I'd be happier if mine would grow back at the same rate, some is really patchy and other areas getting quite thick, and dark thank goodness.

Good luck on Tuesday I'm sure you will feel better when you get started.  Hugs bunny. Xx

Fiona00

Ladies, today my grosheng line has finally been taken out which means my treatment is now completed. No radiotherapy to follow just start tamoxifen next Monday. Such a relief the line is out no need to travel to hospital every week for the dressing but panic about the needle pain for blood test without the line. Nice experience of painless blood test with the line...
Slyolddog

Evening ladies

Not been on for while but like JuSt have been keeping an eye on things.  I've been feeling quite well, using the treadmill more and for longer but conscious of the fact that I feel OK because I'm taking things at my own pace.  I start radiotherapy tomorrow and for some reason I feel really anxious/angry about it. I know its the beginning of the end of treatment but for some reason I just feel like I've had enough. I'm not normally like this, perhaps I'm just anxious about actually getting there on time and getting parked. Stupid I know.I have also started my anastrazole tablets, nothing awful has happened yet, a few aches and pains in the morning but no hot flushes or headaches so far. When you read the side effects you naturally assume you will be in the 1 in 10/1 in 100 rather than the majority who don't have the side effects. We're all playing the percentage game.

Cath - I'm glad your radiotherapy is going well so far. I'm only due to have 18 in total, 15 and 3 boosters. I should finish on the 18th December, same date as you I believe. You're now on your second week and already finding it very tiring, which worries me. But you have got a longer round trip than I have so lets hope its the journey that's getting to you. Keep us up to date with your progress.

JuSt - you seem to be sailing through rads. Any tiredness yet, how long's your journey? Friday will come round really quickly and then you'll be done. It will feel great!

Karen - glad to see you're still doing well. Lucky you being able to get a hair cut! As I was leaving work today my hairdresser was going into the building with a set of plans for his extension. He gave me a hug which was lovely. I suppose on the plus side I'm saving myself a wad of cash every other month, he wasn't cheap! I can't wait to stop wearing my wig, I'm hoping to leave it behind when I go away in February.

Clare - lovely to hear you've got yourself a dog. I sit near the dog warden at work and get to see a lot of strays come and go. It's so tempting, it's knowing when to stop though. I certainly put on weight when we lost our dog a few years ago but we're not ready to get another yet as we want to do more travelling. One day though.

Horseslave - how are you feeling now, are the anti biotics doing their job?  Are you due any more treatment apart from the tamoxifen?

hbunny - how are the rads going, has the soreness subsided?  Feeling tired? Have you managed to have your swim yet and is your swim hat staying on now?? When are you due to finish rads?   Like you I have been looking at my diet and what can be eliminated or at least reduced. Sugar is in everything, it's easier to get fat free food than sugar free food. My big worry is plastic, the fact everything comes wrapped in it, even organic food. I went to a talk about free radicals once and found that just about everything is bad for us! Food stores should have a sugar free aisle, at least it would cut shopping time down. Even some soups have sugar in them!

To all I have missed I hope you are all well and either finished your personal treatment plan or nearing the end of it. For those of you still facing surgery I hope it goes well. I still have not had a call back from the BCN about the lack of progress with movement in my left arm. I'll wait until I've nearly finished radiotherapy and then leave another message, as long as I can get myself in position for rads I'll be fine.

Have a good week everyone, not long now until we can wave goodbye to this year and look forward to better times ahead. XX

JuSt

Hi Ladies - sorry, not been on for quite a while but have still been keeping up with your posts when I can.

I've now done 2 weeks rads, with only this week to go - roll on Friday! Have found it ok so far and skin is fairing pretty well to date. Been doing the simple soap/aqueous cream. Hope everyone else who is having treatment is doing ok with it.

Karen, Cath (and probably many others) - I'm with you on the fears of recurrence. Some days I really feel positive about the worst being over, it being sorted etc but it doesn't take much for the fear to return. As you say, hopefully the fears will reduce so we can gain a fair degree of normality (whatever that is now!) x

Clare - lovely news about your new dog. Enjoy your walks and getting to know each other x

Hugs to everyone - hope you are all keeping as well as can be,

JuSt
x

Karen2609

Hi Cath, glad you enjoyed your walk at the weekend, unfortunately I didn't make it! Legs and feet still seem very achy at times but mainly in the evening so not really an excuse for not getting some exercise.

Glad to hear your skin is holding up well at the moment. Can't believe you are on your second week of rads already that seems to be going really quickly. I just want to get started on mine.

Went to Look Good Feel Better workshop today, I really enjoyed it and def felt better for it. Got some good tips and lovely make up so have now made an appointment to have my hair cut tomorrow. I'm going to have to go really short which I've never done before but it's so thin at the moment needs to be done.

Hope you start to feel a bit better soon, one of the drivers at the hospital told me most people going through radiotherapy tend to hit a low a couple of weeks into it. At least you will be all done by Christmas and can start the New Year afresh.

Hope everyone else is feeling ok

Hugs, Karen x
CathC

Hi Karen - I had a lovely walk on Saturday. The weather stayed nice here, cold, but dry.

How did you fare over the weekend? Did you manage any exercise or are you still feeling low on energy?

Clare, that's wonderful news about your new dog. I have a dog, he's 10 years old now and he's my baby - a rather big baby. It's surprising how much they become part of the household.

Enjoy all the walks. lol

Just started my second week of rads. Skin is still doing okay, but it's very tiring. I could do with a good pick-me-up, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Hope all the July ladies are doing well on their treatment.

Hugs

Cath

Karen2609

Ah Clare, that's lovely. What sort of dog is it? Mine's just turned 3 and we love him to bits. So nice to hear some happy news.

Enjoy him/her
X