1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Karen2609

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi Clare, glad to hear you are a bit more mobile and able to reduce the painkillers. They were very focused in hospital on keeping the flap warm, I had big pad of wadding, a bit like a slim pillow, over my chest for the first couple of days and they always ensured I was well covered up. I did feel tight and engorged at the beginning but that is all wearing off now and I'm enjoying being able to get out and about. How are you today? All ready for tomorrow and being able to speak to someone about the Op?
Hi Cath, how long now until your cruise? Will be lovely to get away from everything for a while.
My Dad is still better than when he was in hospital but still very confused and is now having problems with a leaky catheter. The district nurse doesn't want to change it as apparently this could cause more problems.
Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine, I'm enjoying last few days without Toby, much as I miss him he is a mad dog so am appreciating the break.

Love Karen
sugar8

Hi July ladies. Hope all well

Karen - How did the nurses keep your recon warm in the first 24hrs? Did they use a huggy bag or just blankets? Hope dad's comfy x x

Cath- when are your brain scan results due? Note to myself: must ring surgery tomorrow for my results

Must go to bed as had visitors and no afternoon nap. 

BTW my breasts feel engorged like when I was breast feeding my babies . Reducing analgesia as much as.

love

Clare

CathC

Nope, haven't heard anything about it, but then again, I don't really frequent the rest of the forum, mainly on this thread.
CathC

Clare  - glad to hear you're home and finally feeling better. And I love your positive outlook - you go girl!

Great news on your cancer research fund. Very well done.

Karen - great to hear from you and glad you're feeling well after your op.

You must be missing Toby. When do you get him back home?

Gill - you should definitely try a cruise with your husband. This will be our second (went for hubs 50th) It's nothing like you'd imagine. You wouldn't even know you're on a boat most of the time.

I like your idea of a meet up, too, it's just the thought of the distance involved that would put me off slightly. (Note I said slightly. lol)

Hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day Sunday. Good on your son cooking for you.

And Clare - sounds like your sons spoiled you, too.

My oldest was working on Sunday so he took me and his dad out for lunch on Saturday. Plus, I received a huge bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates!

Karen - hope all is well with you, and your dad.

Sending hugs to all the July ladies

Cath

sugar8

Have any of you July ladies been invited to the forum meeting in October and are you going?
sugar8

Hello Karen how are you? You must be up and about now. No driving for 6 weeks I was told.
BTW how did they keep your Diep flap warm post op? 11days and 6 days post op.I am still getting a sharp break thro pain in my right breast. The one with the expander which makes me reach out for the Tramadol at 2 and 10 p.m. A weird nerve pain and I am slightly stiff in abdominal area. other than that I am fine and pottering around esp in the mornings. Hope you are fully recovered is it 18 days today?
How was Mother's Day? Hope dad is still in good spirits and that his pain is being well controlled well.

love
Clare

sugar8

Hi Gill. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Mother's Day. The 5 year meet sounds like a good idea. Hopefully we will all be putting the Big C behind us by then.
I keep getting flash backs of what could have gone wrong. Can't wait to go thro my notes. The care from professionals was great but empathy is lacking. Too busy for that side of holistic care but it's running joke about surgeons. Too used to anaesthetised people :-).

Happy Mother's Day to all July Ladies. Mine was 10:10. My younger son who has pratically moved in since my op made it most enjoyable by cooking, showered me with presents and card and flowers.
My older son brought me a bottle or Merlot all the way from Malta . Can't complain

Karen2609

Sorry Gill, I knew I would miss someone! Glad to hear you are doing well x
lilac55

Clare what an awful time you have had but pleased to hear you are home and feeling not so down . Definitely go through your notes so you have a clearer understanding . It doesn't change outcome but mentally it is so important.I don,t think medical staff truly understand that .

Cath enjoy your cruise. My husband would love to go on one but I am resistant.HOPE results come back positive.

I often think wouldn't it be lovely for the July ladies to meet up one day maybe to celebrate our 5th anniversary .

I have weekend off and sun is shining bliss. My son is cooking dinner for me and his fiancee tomorrow as mothering sunday so looking forward to that.

HOPE everyone else has a lovely weekend.

Love and hugs Gill xx

Karen2609

Hi Clare, so pleased to hear that you are home and almost pain free. I definitely think being home makes all the difference, just being able to sleep in your own bed without being woken up every couple of hours for obs made me feel so much better. Good to hear that you are pleased with the result on your right side and hopefully once you speak to your BCN everything will be much clearer.
I have been very lucky in that I had very little pain, although I didn't have as much done as you, just Diep on the left and reduction on the right. I do hope things have turned a corner for you now you're home.
How is Dexter behaving? We've had to rehome Toby with the in laws for a couple of weeks as he jumps all over me.
Isn't it strange how we are still told different things, I was told to carry on with the Letrozole all the way through. I shared a bay with 3 ladies who all had Diep on same day but with different Consultants, one wasn't allowed caffeine or chocolate for 2 weeks post op!!!
Please keep us updated with how you are doing and to let off steam whenever you need to. This forum has been such a support to me over the past 2 years, I too feel like I know you all.
Cath, Julie, Slyolddog, Hbunny and Wendy, hope you are all doing well, love reading your updates even if I don't always respond as often as I should
Hugs to all, Karen.

sugar8

Karen are you on the hormone tablets? I heard that one had to stop them for 3 months before op
sugar8

Hi hbunny, Karen, Cathcart, (Just)Julie, so and slyolddog. Good morning a much better morning. 🙂 . I woke this morning almost pain free for the first time. The 2nd op on the right side appears to be healing well. I have decided to take one day at a time and focus on the positives After all I didn't even give up work when I was on chemo which was the worse experience in my journey do I can deal with big hiccup like an expander.
positive thought. .. I am alive and well and I have a good team of people around me.

Karen how are you this morning? The thead has been very quiet ;-). Hope you are nearly
ainfree like me. .

Julie your travel plans sound good. Wish we could all meet up an go travelling like the soul mates I feel you all are... The good old faithfuls. :-).

I have made an app for me to see the BC nurse when I go to the dressing clinic on Weds. I would like to go thro notes as I was so.fuzzy headed. Can't remember everything I was told .

Catherine hope you enjoy cruise and everyone else be good and enjoy life. My fund raise for cancer research is continuing £225 pounds just from FB.

Well hope to catch up with everyone soon.

love
Clare
sugar8

hi Cath c, Karen, Julie, slyolddog and hbunny. Thanks you for your virtual support hugs and understanding.
I am now at home and feeling much better for it. Pain still moderate to occasionally high. I had hiccups with the painkillers (given paracetamol as TTO) I knew that wasn't enough so went to GP for stronger rather than wait another 3hrs on the same day I came home. O the battle with receptionist which reduced me to more tears.
Eventually I was rescued my a GP in whose surgery I worked for years. She had come to my GP'S surgery for a meeting. God was good to me that day.

Anyway I spent most of the day in the sunny conservatory colouring a very therapeutic book for adults and that lifted my mood.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant ladies.

Karen hope you are recovering fast and not needing all those pain killers like I do.
Cath I am really pleased that all went well.re your scan
Cath enjoy your cruise and sending positive vibes re scan results
Regards to all
love
Clare
CathC

Oh, Clare! I'm so sorry things didn't go as planned. You've every right to feel down and fed-up - you've been through so much this should have been the 'easy' part of the whole process.

Hate the fact that we don't live close because you sound like you need an in-person hug and a sympathetic ear.

Please know that I, and all of the July ladies, are here for you if you need to vent.

Sending gentle hugs to you, my friend.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my mri scan. It went well yesterday - noisy, but fine. Now it's a waiting game for the results. I'm guessing the longer it takes the better the news. So here's hoping for a looooong wait. lol

Hugs to all the July ladies.

Cath

Slyolddog

Clare, I'm so sorry things haven't gone to plan and I can totally understand why you're feeling so low. To be looking forward to something which is really personal and then for it not to turn out as you'd expected is massively disappointing. Let your tears flow as much and as often as you want to, you've earned the right. We are all here for you, you have several invisible arms giving you a hug and we are all feeling your pain. Xx
JuSt

Hi July ladies,

Cath - hope all goes well this evening for your scan.  Hopefully, getting on with enjoying your Med cruise will help the waiting time fly by. I'm sure you'll find lots to do (and eat!) so have a great time and all the best for great results when you return x

Karen - so pleased your op went well.  Hope you're taking it easy and recovering well x

Hbunny - glad you're enjoying your new home, sounds like you've settled in well.  Yes, coming up to 2 years - it's amazing isn't it?  I kind of wish time would slow down a little bit now so we can all relish it and enjoy it to the full, but also like 'that time' becoming more distant in memory - uh, can't win! x

Clare - so sorry your op didn't go to plan and you are feeling down.  I really hope this horrible time passes quickly for you and you start to feel better very soon.  Sending you lots of love and gentle hugs x

Slydog - very reassuring to know you went to Thailand too without problems, thanks for that.  Yes, I'd forgotten it's the dry season so that makes me feel more hopeful for less bites.  Just hope we can cope with the heat - forecast says mid to high thirties - yikes!!  I am bl***y freezing here at the moment though so bring it on x

Hope all the other July ladies are keeping well and enjoying life.  Love to all,

Julie
xx

Karen2609

Clare, I'm so sorry that your op didn't go well. I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling. To be looking forward to this for so long only to end in disappointment, no wonder you can't stop crying.
I know it's no consolation but I really hope that once the expansion is done and the silicon added, you get a good result. Sending lots of love and hugs xx
Cath, wishing you lots of luck for today. Hope all goes well and you can get on and enjoy your hols xx
sugar8

Cath Good luck with your scan. X X. keep well
sugar8

This is the first time since my cancer that I have felt so low. Op went crap and had to have a expander inserted instead.
Surgeon had said clean and graft or silicone implant. Apparently they have to gradually expand the skin now it's from the tummy then put in silicone later. Can't sleep tonight and can't stop crying. Seems like Nothing ever goes to plan for me. I feel so sad at the moment. I just want to go home and recover. I really thought that things were going to work out so that I could move forward. Fat chance.
I had such a lovely perfect pair my hubby loved them I was even able to flash them for my friends who visited as I was so happy for 4 days ....now this horrible expander. I don't feel positive any more. Boohoo.

Karen I am really pleased that yours went well and that you are recovering well. Sorry to be so sad today but I feel like a failure. .

love to July ladies
thanks for the.support and wishes
Clare
Slyolddog

Karen - so glad to hear you're recovering well, please take your time with recovery as you come across as quite a busy young lady! Get the kids to do things for you.

Clare - good luck for tomorrow, sorry things didn't go quite as planned. We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you, here's to a speedy recovery. Malta will be there when you're ready. Your son did well in his race. I used to live in Malta as an army child (army brat!) and am planning to go back there for a short break some time.

Cath - in case I forget I hope all goes well with the scan on Wednesday. Congratulations on your 50th and very jealous about your cruise. You won't have to eat all day but I bet you are by the end of it. Woman Wink

Julie - we went to Thailand and Cambodia this time last year and I was petrified of being bitten for the same reason. I never went out without being covered in repellent and carrying antiseptic gel and luckily everything was OK. It's the dry season so all should be well.  Have a fab time!

To all the other July ladies have a good week - soon be warm days with blossom on the trees. XX

Karen2609

Hi Clare, wishing you lots of luck for your op tomorrow. Hopefully you can get that out of the way and then concentrate on your recovery. I was lucky enough to only be in for 4 days although it's much harder not doing things at home. I had to go back to hospital today as my wound started to bleed but all ok now.
Luckily I only needed a single recon as they had trouble with my blood vessels too, must be more common than we realise, at least you were able to have an implant on the other side.
Keeping everything crossed for you tomorrow and sending you lots of love for a speedy recovery
Gentle hugs, Karen x
CathC

Aw, Clare, so sorry the recon didn't go to plan. Sending a huge hug and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that your exploratory surgery goes well.

Let us know what's happening when you feel up to it.

Oh, and congrats to your son on his race.

Hugs

Cath

sugar8

and hbunnu ,slyolddog and anyone I missed. Fuzzy as pain killer kicking in lol
sugar8

Thanks also Cath and Just X x
sugar8

Thanks for your good wishes Lilac X x
sugar8

hi Karen. Just saw your post. it's harder to follow the thread on my mobile. I am so pleased for you that you are home and we'll. How many days did you stay in for.
Unfortunately like I told Cath I have complications so back to theatre tomorrow . Will tell you more after procedure.
lots of love July ladies and enjoy your holidays.
I didn't make Malta of course but my son rang me from there. He didn't beat his personal best because it was windy and rainy . Time 3hrs 5mins
London marathon. next 😉
sugar8

Happy 50th Cath. How on earth did I miss it? great age to be.
hi July ladies good to see so many more on site.
Hope all well. In hospital for recon. Not going as well as planned. only one done the right but have to return to theatre for exploration.
The left had to be silicone as not enough Blood vessels but it feels mots comfy and is healing well.
well I am keeping my spirits up. Karen how are you getting on?
love
Clare
sugar8

Thanks Gill
hbunny

Lovely to hear from everyone.  So pleased for you Karen, that is a major hurdle jumped, but as Cath says look after yourself, Claire, hope you have just as good an experience, look after you too.

Happy 50th Cath and will be thinking of you for the brain scan, we are all getting pretty good at the waiting game in one way or another, but enjoy your holiday you deserve it, as do all the July ladies with holiday plans.  Don't think we will be getting g away this year after the move, but that's ok, I'm enjoying spending time at home!  

Hope everyone is feeling good now spring is here again and we are coming up to the 2year Mark - where did that go?

Enjoy your day everyone. Very gentle hugs to the sore ones and a good squeeze to everyone else. Hbunny xx

Karen2609

Hi Cath, at least you don't have to wait too long now you've got a date for your brain scan. As you say, get that over and done with and then get on and enjoy your holiday x
CathC

Karen - so glad the op went well and you're back home. And YAY for having two boobs again.

With only having a lumpectomy I didn't have that problem, but I can only imagine how horrible it was to feel so lop-sided.

It sounds like you were in hospital with a lovely bunch of ladies (and staff). It really does make all the difference.

Make sure you take time to heal, don't do too much too soon.

As for me I got the call this morning to go for my brain scan next Weds evening. Can't wait to have that over, then the waiting begins for results.

I intend to put it out of my mind and enjoy my holiday. Time enough to worry when I come home.

Big hugs to all the July ladies, especially Clare - hoping your recon went well.

Cath

Karen2609

Hi Ladies

It's lovely to see such positive posts, sounds like everyone is getting on with their lives as best as we can. Happy holidays to those of you off on your travels, looking forward to hearing all about it.

Cath, hope you had a wonderful 50th birthday. Enjoy the cruise I hope you get thoroughly pampered.

Julie, Thailand sounds amazing, good luck avoiding the nozzles!

Clare, hope all went well with the recon, won't be long before you are home being looked after.

Thank you all for the good wishes for my recon, did have a last minute scare as on the day I was all marked up and ready to go down to theatre when I was told it still may not go ahead as they had no beds. Then 10 minutes later it all happened very quickly.
The op went really well and I was in a bay with three other ladies who had the same procedure at the same time. It was so reassuring as we all has similar concerns which we could talk through with each other and we knew once one of us had the catheter or a drain out, the rest of us wouldn't be far behind. When we couldn't sleep at night after being woken up for 2 hourly obs, we could have a little chat without fear of disturbing anyone else. The nursing staff and doctors were absolutely amazing, they worked so hard but remained kind, professional and fun at all times.
I was discharged on Mon and am enjoying being back home. So happy to have 2 boobs again.
Hugs to all, Karen
CathC

Hi JuSt - Thailand sounds fabulous! I would love to go there, but the thought of a long flight scares the beejesus out of me!

We're off on a cruise- starting in Barcelona and doing stops in Spain and Italy. Can't wait!

Don't think there will be many mozzies where I'm going, but I intend to take bug spray and antiseptic wipes with me, just in case.

Can't wait to feel some heat on these old bones. It's coooold here.

Enjoy your holiday - you deserve it!

Hugs

Cath

JuSt

Cath - congrats on your big 5-0, glad to hear you were thoroughly spoilt.  Where are you off to on your hols?  I'm off to Thailand a week on Saturday with hubby (leaving daughters at home).  I'm a bit worried about mozzie bites, risk of lymphodoema etc but have a case full of supplies to hopefully prevent and/or treat any potential problems so don't intend letting that spoil my time.  We are off to Bangkok and a rainforest camp for 3 nights each, then a week relaxing at a beach resort - sooooooooo excited!

Hope all you other July ladies are doing well - it's lovely and sunny here today but really cold, not long til Spring now though - hooray!

Love to all,

Julie.

x

JuSt

Wishing you all the best for your recon Clare - hope it all goes well and you have a speedy recovery, Julie x

CathC

Hi Flossie, Gill, and JuSt - lovely to see so many July ladies back on the board.

Karen - hope you're recovering well.

Clare - Glad to hear the mole removal went well. Here's hoping the diep recon goes equally well. Will keep you in my thoughts today. Big hugs

Well, I had my big 50 birthday last week and got thoroughly spoilt. Now I'm on the countdown to the holiday I promised myself after chemo - 20 days! Whoo-hoo!

Big hugs to all the July ladies.

Cath

lilac55

Good luck Clare .HOPE all goes well..and speedy recovery xxGill

sugar8

Hi july ladies

Mole removal went well, sutures removed yesterday and results should be ready next week,

Guess what I am going for my diep recon today .. to hosp at 0700 so must be off to bed soon.

Karen what a bummer about having to return home. Fingers crossed that history don't repeat. (with me today). Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope everyone else is well. Will try to keep in touch after my op. Onwards and upwards.......to the next step. Smiley Wink 

Good night

JuSt

Hi Karen - hope all went well with the recon.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Gentle hugs, Julie xx

lilac55

Hi Karen .HOPE all went well on Thursday and that you are resting at home without too much pain or discomfort.Please let us July ladies know when you are able to.It seems we are all sending you love and hugs (gentle ones )gill x

Candyflossie

Hope all went well Karen, keep us posted.
Lots of hugs,
Flossie xx
CathC

@Karen2609 wrote:
Thanks Cath, got admitted at 4pm and all marked up ready but then sent home as no beds!! Back again tomorrow morning and fingers crossed all goes ahead then.

Love to all
Karen x

So sorry you were sent home, Karen. That would be awful after being so close. Here's hoping all goes ahead today.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Big hugs

Cath

hbunny

Good luck for tomorrow Karen, I will be thinking of you. Keep strong and im sure you will be back home and recovering very soon.  Big hugs. Love hbunny

Slyolddog

Good luck for tomorrow Karen, I'm sure it will all go well. So pleased to see your dad has picked up since coming home too. I know you're worried about being away for a while but you know he'd want you to go for it. Here's to a swift recovery. Xx

Karen2609

Thanks Cath, got admitted at 4pm and all marked up ready but then sent home as no beds!! Back again tomorrow morning and fingers crossed all goes ahead then.

Love to all
Karen x
CathC

Karen - so glad your dad's spirits have lifted. You must all be delighted to have him home.

And whoo-hoo on your recon date. That's fantastic news. I know you're reluctant leaving your dad for any amount of time, but your parents are right - it's important you don't turn it down.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers on the 18th.

Mega hugs

Cath

Karen2609

Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It does seem to be all bad news this year. Have a wonderful trip to Australia and NZ, certainly sounds like a holiday of a lifetime.
Cath, not long until your holiday either. Hope you scan in and results back before you go, although the fact that they don't seem to be in any great hurry must be a good sign.
Clare, Miami in April will be fab esp with your new body. Hope the mole removal went ok.
Slyolddog, glad the insurance wasn't as bad as you expected and again, Florida in May sounds fab. We went there the year before all this started with my brother and his family and had a wonderful time.
Gill, glad to hear your daughter and son in law are enjoying their trip. How long are they away for?
Well ladies, since I last posted my Dad sank to the depths of despair, sleeping all the time and refusing to eat. However, since he got a date to come home he has completely transformed. He is now back home, eating and drinking and watching Doc Martin DVD's. Although the outcome is going to be the same it doesn't feel so imminent at the moment.
On that note, I had a phone call from my PS secretary this evening, they've had a cancellation so I'm all booked in for my recon on Thursday! I'm still in shock and wasn't sure I should go ahead at this time but my mum and dad were adamant that I don't turn it down as I could still have to wait another year if I did. Just hoping my dad will be ok the week I'm in hospital but after that Martin can drive me to see him.

Thank you again for all your good wishes and prayers, it means a lot. X
lilac55

HOPE all went well today Claire. Now the wait for results !!! Hugs Gill
lilac55

Have a wonderful time Wendy,..sunshine no rain. Bliss xxx

My daughter Claire and hubby Ben on North Island at present having brilliant time. 

Gill x

CathC

Wendy - have a fab time in Australia and New Zealand. Safe trip. We want to hear all about it when you get back.

Clare - Let us know how today goes. I hope it's not too painful. I know hubby had a mole removed and it wasn't too bad. *hugs*

And it sounds like you're keeping yourself busy with walking and lunching. That’s my kind of diet plan. lol

Fingers crossed you get to Miami in April

Karen, as always, my thoughts are with you and your dad.

Still now word on a date for the brain scan or bone scan my rheumy has asked for. What's the betting they come on the dates I'm going away!

Hugs to all the July ladies

Cath