359997posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Highlighted

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi Cath, I'm glad your sister is coming towards the end of her treatment. It's a long haul but hopefully by Christmas she should be feeling a bit more like her old self. Does she need any further treatment or medication after rads?
Gill, I'm like you, can't run at all although I really would love to. Thanks for your reassurance about my daughter going to Uni, she had a bit of a blip and was home with us for the weekend. She's back now though and seems to be a bit happier.
I took part in the Shine Walk for Cancer Research at the weekend, it's a night walk through the centre of London. Good fun but I can only do the half marathon not sure how anyone manages the full one - although I suppose if you actually do the training rather than just turning up on the day that might help.
Half day at work today then off to cemetery to visit my Dad's grave on what would have been his 76th birthday.
Hugs to all
Karen x
Highlighted

Hi Gill,

My sister is getting through her rads. This is her last full week, then two days next week and that's her. She'll not be sorry as she still finds the whole thing claustrophobic.

Gorgeous sun here this morning, cold but bright.

Hope all the July ladies are in the sunshine

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Morning everyone.

It's a drizzled day here in Cornwall so delaying taking dogs for a walk.!!

Clare WOW your running achievements are amazing .I have never been able to run.I have enough trouble not falling over walking .It is a very popular sport .I live on a trail so often see women mainly running when I am out with Poppy..Exercise definitely helps emotional wellbeing .

Karen. It is so hard letting your children go so that they can grow into independent adults. My daughter is a wandering so at times over the years in countries where communication was very limited.Claire has just gone to Aberystwyth University to do her PhD.It is a long way from cornwall and I really miss her . I was in Spain when she went so felt sad that I wasn't here to say goodbye and give her a hug ( Claire is 35 !!) .

HANGOVERS. That extra glass of wine seems such a good idea at the time but the next day !!!!.my tolerance is so much lower and the next day a wipe out .I didn't drink alcohol during treatment as felt my body had enough toxins being pumped in it but now on a sunny day a glass or 2 is bliss.

Cath .HOPE your sisters radiotherapy experience improved . Has she finished now?

Hope all July ladies are well and enjoying life.

Love and hugs Gill xx

Highlighted

Exercise definitely can't hurt re those CA cells, Clare. I've tried to up my exercise, too - swimming and walking. Whether it will help with the big C I don't know, but it does make me feel much better, especially mentally.

A very wet and miserable day here in Ireland. 😞

Stay dry ladies

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

I wondered why that warning came up Cath but thought it was a glitch on my phone . lol
Highlighted

Haha Cath, I was really worried about reading your post when I saw that header. It always amazes me when things like that pop up without knowing how and then being unable to get rid of them 😊
Clare, that's fantastic progress, I didn't realise that you started running so recently. I need to give myself a kick up the backside and get more active.

Have a lovely day xx
Highlighted

Good morning ladies. Karen I started running in July last year when we took our son to a park run. I walked most of that one . lol.
I am slow but I am always pleased that I can make it to the finish line and hoping that the exercise will keep these CA cells permanently away.

love
Clare.
Highlighted

Who-hoo Clare!

Spoiler

Congrats on cutting 2 mins off your time. That's amazing. I've no doubt you'll get down to your dream time next go.

Karen - I'm the same re hangovers. It's not so much a hangover anymore, it the tiredness. I'm useless for the next day - or so. Def getting old.

Hugs

Cath

ETA: I've no idea where the 'emotion content warning' came from. I don't think anything I've written is too emotional. lol

Highlighted

Congratulations Clare, that's a fantastic achievement. How long have you been running for? Another 2 minutes off your time seems an awful lot to me, I would love to be able to run.
Glad you were good on the Hen night, Cath, and ok for the Christening. I don't know about you but I can't do hangovers these days. I had a few too many when out with friends a while ago I didn't think I was that bad but still felt horrible for the whole of the next day. Definitely getting old!!
Love
Karen x
Highlighted

Hi ladies.
Cath good to hear that you enjoyed yourself.
Karen you'll miss your daughter but like Cath said you'll soon hear from her when she needs you.

My son was the same. Uni goes a long way to help them grow up which is great

I did it! Cut off 2 mins on my 2nd 10k run. 1hr 17mins. I still have at least 2 more minutes to cut out. Maybe on the.Cancer research relay in Oct?

love to all
Clare
Highlighted

Hi Karen,

I was fine for the Christening on Sunday. Was good at the Hen night and drank watered down wine. Mind you, was in bed early last night and slept for 11 straight hours!!!

I remember well leaving our youngest son off at college – two years ago now – it’s an awful, yet proud moment. I know I shed a few tears. Not being in contact every day is so hard, but you’re doing the right thing not phoning too often. One thing’s for sure, when they need you they won’t be long getting in touch. lol

Good luck with the half marathon walk on Saturday.

I‘m off for a swim to wake myself up.

Hugs to all the July ladies.

Highlighted

Wow, Clare, there's no stopping you now! Well done I really admire you, wish I could run. I'm doing the Shine Walk half marathon on Saturday night but that is just a leisurely stroll so even I can manage that.
Sounds like you had a busy weekend Cath, hope you had a great time and weren't too hungover at the Christening 😊
My eldest daughter starts Uni today so we took her down on Saturday, it was a very strange feeling. Desperate to talk to her and find out how she's getting on but don't want to intrude too early. Having to make do with texts ( she's already after money and forgotten jeans being posted on to her).
Have a good Monday everyone
X
Highlighted

@sugar8 wrote:
Thanks Cath and enjoy yourself. Let your hair down. x x

LOL. I'll try. Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Thanks Cath and enjoy yourself. Let your hair down. x x
Highlighted

Glad the Dexa scan went OK, Karen, but 3 weeks! That's long. Here's hoping for good results.

Clare - glad you didn't do any damage when you fell. Good luck in the Charity 10K on Sunday. May you do your best time yet.

I'm for a hen party on Saturday and a Christening on Sunday, so gonna be a busy week for me.

Hugs to all the July ladies

Cath

Highlighted

Hi ladies. Fell over badly a couple days ago but could get up and continue my dog walk with no broken bones and only a badly right grazed knee so I suppose no Dexa scan needed??? :-). Hope your results are norm Karen. 3 weeks wait! Couldn't the sonographer give you some indication of results?
Glad the storm passed by uneventully girls.

I am running The Enfield''s Major Charity 10k on Sunday. Excited can't wait.
love
Clare
Highlighted

Glad you weren't affected, Cath 😊

Dexa Bone scan done just a 3 week wait for results to arrive in the post.

Have a lovely weekend

Hugs
Karen x
Highlighted

Didn't hit us too badly, Karen. Lots of rain, but then we're used to that. 🙂

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi July ladies

Thanks for the powder tip, Clare I shall give it a go.

Cath, from the sound of the wind last night I was expecting some damage, or at least a lost wheelie bin but luckily was all fine. Hope you weren't too badly affected

X
Highlighted

Gill - I'm so sorry to hear about your eldest brother.  Praying that the treatment is working for him and that he gets good news in October.

Karen - fingers crossed you won't have to wait much longer for your appointment.

Clare - like you, I'm lucky my hair grew back thick and normal, as did my eyelashes, eyebrows etc.  But, as Helen and others have noted, I don't have to shave my legs or underarms quite as often as I used to. Who knew there'd be a plus side to chemo. Lol

Helen, great to hear from you. I'm so sorry about your friend. Cancer seems to everywhere at the moment, or is it that we're all being touched by it now that we're more aware of it?

Here's hoping storm Aileen leaves everyone untouched.

Cath

Highlighted

A windy good morning July 2014 ladies

Helen so sad about your friend. So hard to have to be faced with CA again but own experience must surely help for coping and empathy. Good to see you back.

Karen ... My appointments are now yearly which suits me fine as I always dread them as they bring back too my difficult memories.

I would like to forget and move on although I know that can never happen every time I look in the mirror.
The powder eyebrow brushes makes it so much easier to shape and darken your eyebrows and so much quicker. Try it

love
Clare
Highlighted

Oh Gill, I would say that's definitely a plus! Unfortunately I have to shave my legs just as often as before although strangely don't get too much underarm hair, which is understandable on treatment side but the other side is definitely more sparse too.
I must try to get the hang of eyebrow powder, I've used a pencil a couple of times but it looks so false that I usually end up rubbing it off again.
I wish my hair had come back normally, Clare, it's fairly long but frizzes at slightest excuse. It also has lots of annoying 'kinks' and is neither properly straight or curly!
Welcome back Helen, good to hear that you are keeping well but very sorry about your friend. I don't know if it's just that I notice it more now but there seems to be so many more people I know or know of with cancer.
Talking of postcode lottery yesterday, how often does everyone else see their medical team? I see my Oncologist and Breast Surgeon annually but a friend who had exactly the same treatment as me just a year later is on 3 monthly checks. She did go private but this still seems a huge discrepancy.

Love
Karen
Highlighted

Hi .

I use to pluck my eyebrows every couple of days now rarely .Only thing that needs shaving/waxing is my legs but only 4-6 weekly where as before I shaved twice a week . Is this a plus?

Xxx

Highlighted

Hello everyone, always read all the posts but so busy with work etc rarely have time to add anything - how crap an excuse is that - anyway now feel very guilty seeing you all continuing to make such an effort!

It's great to see everyone is doing so well, but sending love to everyone supporting friends and family.  I have a friend with an aggressive brain tumour, I know it's horrible, but I feel so lucky to be here - clear mammo here to.

Anyway my hair is back to its normal self, but eyebrows rather pathetic also needing powder (I just keep rubbing it off) and nails just split and break they are so dry.

Love to all, I'll try not to leave it too long next time.  Take care Helen

Highlighted

Karen my eyebrows are not too bad. I don't do anything with them when walking the dog but use eyebrow powder when working or going out socially.
I am fortunate that my hair grew back thick and normal. and slowly getting longer.

Clare
Highlighted

So sorry to hear about your brother, Gill. It must be so hard to see him so frail, hope you get good news about his treatment.
I would love to have the bone infusion as I'm so rubbish at taking my Vit D and Calcium.
My hair is awful too, occasionally it goes ok but usually ends up as a frizz ball I think I will have to end up having it cut short too. How are everyone else's eyebrows? Mine have never really recovered.
Good luck with the Becca app, Cath, it's great for me on the train.
I'm already 4 months into the waiting list, Clare so hopefully won't be too long now.
Looks like Storm Aileen is due to hit tonight, hope everyone stays dry.
Love Karen x
Highlighted

Karen I really hope you don't have to wait that long. it makes such a positive difference once it''s done.

Oh Gill . So sorry about your brother''s Cancer. When will life go back to normal for us eh? I am keeping all crossed that his treatment was effective and he will be on the mend. Keep Soaking up the sun safely when you can and also look after yourself too. BIG HUG x x

love Clare.
Highlighted

Hi girls. It's first time I have read forum this mountain th as visiting my eldest brother in Spain who has osophageal cancer and not well . He struggles to eat or drink and has lost 3  stone in weight so looks very frail. Hate to see it . .Waiting to see oncologist in October to see if treatment  has been successfully..

The plus is that Spain is hot and sunny .

Great to read so many posts.

Sylvia may hair has never grown back properly . It's thin and patchy.All I can do is keep it cut short.

I have tried special hair products and only wash twice a week but hasn't helped.At least my nails grew back .( positive thoughts)

Cath. Pleased sisters chemo finished. Sorry she is struggling with rads.

Post code lottery . I am the only one having 6 monthly infusion for my bones to reduce risk of cancer returning  and osteoporosis.? Here in cornwall we all have it now .

Can't scroll back so positive news about nipples .

Need to post as brother resting so off to sit in Sun.

Love to you all. Gill xx

Highlighted

So lovely to see so many posting.

Clare - how long will you be on Letrozole? Glad to hear they're not as bad as they were.

Oooh, Karen just answered that question. 7 years! That's a long time. I forget sometimes that you ladies are still going through treatment.

Good luck with your scan on Friday, Karen. I must check out this Becca app you mention. I can only post here from my laptop. I think my head would explode if I tried to post on my phone. lol

Hi Sylvia - can't believe you used the C word! *Gasp* Trying my best not to think how close it is.

Aren't you supposed to have follow-ups with anastrozole like they do with Letrozole?

My sister's hair started coming back before she finished chemo. It was very strange. She didn't lose her eyebrows until the last dose or so, whilst I lost everything the first couple of weeks. Goes to show how the different treatments affect different people.

Did the docs say why your hair hasn't grown back better? Is there anything you can do to encourage growth, especially at the back?

When you finish treatment you want to get back to 'normal' as soon as possible. If your hair hasn't come back properly then how can you get back to normal?

I often think about Horseslave and the others who no longer frequent this thread. I hope they're all okay and moving on happily with their lives.

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Sylvia, it's good to be back! I know what you mean when you worry about 'dropouts' I often wonder how the rest of our group are. There wasn't really any reason for me staying away from the forum for so long other than having a bit of an emotional wobble.
The postcode lottery re dexa scans even appears in my hospital. My oncologist has referred me for the follow up as he says should be done every 2 years whereas my surgeon said it should be done every 3 years...so who knows.
Hi Clare, apparently the waiting list for nipple tattooing is 9 months to a year. I'm on the cancellation list again so you never know ....
Another reason I dropped off the forum before was because I was having so much trouble posting from my phone (never use anything else these days!) but I have now discovered the Becca app ...it's brilliant so no more excuses 😊
Take care all x
Highlighted

Hi Karen. BTW forgot to ask how long is the waiting list for your tattoo as that seems a long time to wait. Have you got a number to call to check on what the hold up is?
Cath sorry to hear that your sister I'd having a hard time with her claustrophobia during radiotherapy.

Sylvia Glad to see you back on the forum. The literasure states that yearly Dexa scans should be done but like you I wasn't given any. I was commenced on Vit D and Calcium tablets instead. Post code lottery again I suppose.
love
Clare
Highlighted

'Similar' not simulate! Stupid spell check!
Highlighted

Hi Karen, so good to hear from you, you hadn't been in here for ages. I always worry about the drop offs. Remember Horseslave who started this group? Glad you're doing well, is your Dexa scan routine? I'm on anastrozole which is simulate to letrozole, I've had no follow up scan since I started the tablets. I'm counting down the last two years on them.

Cath, so pleased your sister has finished her chemo, the end is in site. Not too long until the rads are finished. Is her hair coming back well? Mines still rubbish, the back looks terrible.

Well we are definitely into autumn, the heating was on last night to warm the house up. Soon be Christmas! 🎅 Xx
Highlighted

So pleased you are happy with your tattoos Clare and I love the idea of before and after photos. Like you I have got used to the Letrozole hot flushes, just as well as I have another 7 years of them!!
I'm glad your sister has finished her chemo now, Cath but it sounds like she has really been through it. Hope she gets through the Rads ok, must be really hard if you feel claustrophobic, sending lots of hugs.
I have a Dexa bone scan on Friday which will hopefully reveal the Letrozole isn't damaging my bones too much. Although even if it is, it's a small price to pay.
Love Karen x
Highlighted

Hi Cath . Yes the Letrozole tablets still gives me hot flushes. I really hope they will stop when I complete the course. Must say they are not as bad or I've got used to them .lol
Highlighted

Hi Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend/boss. I hope she finds this Forum of use while she goes through treatment. I know it helped me a lot, having people to talk to who were going through the same things I was.

Still no word on an appointment for your tattoo?

Clare - You still suffering badly from the hot flushes?

So glad the tattoos went well for you. Before and after pics are a great idea.

Thanks for asking after my sister, ladies. She's doing really well, finished her chemo a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, she ended up in the hospital with the last round as she had E-coli in her urine. She spent a few days in hospital but they were able to treat it okay.

She's now doing rads and they aren't going so good. She finds the machine very claustrophobic. But she only has 4 weeks of it, so the end is in sight.

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Karen. Tattoos went very well and very happy with them thanks. I ask for copy of b4 and after photos (cost £15) and results except for scars and smaller areolas not bad . Looks much better in the mirror.
Have a great day
love
Clare
Highlighted

Hi Clare

How are your 3D nipple tattoos? I'm still on waiting list for my tattoos to be done.
Cath, I've been wondering about your sister too recently, Has she finished treatment yet?
Very Autumnal here today, but as you say Clare, good for the hot flushes, every cloud...
Hope everyone stays dry today
X
Highlighted

Hi Ladies. Just touching Base to see if everyone is fine. Quiet forum hopefully means healthy July ladies.
Cath Def Autumn weather. Very good for the hot flushes. lol.
Karen. So sorry to hear about your boss. Hope you cope with it all OK. So close to home.... brings back memories.
Cath how is your sister''s treatment going?
Take care all
love
Clare
Highlighted

Hi July Ladies

Glad to hear everyone keeping well and mammograms all clear.

Not been on here for a while so lots to catch up on.
Unfortunately my friend/boss at work has just been diagnosed hopefully she won't need chemo but I've referred her to this Forum as I found it really helped.

Looking forward to the get together in 2019 xx
Highlighted

@sugar8 wrote:
Hi Cath. A fun break is always a good idea. Don't overdo it now you are rested.
My appointment well all fine as I thought.
love
Clare

That's great news, Clare. So glad the appointment went well.

Can't believe we're now into Autumn. Where did the summer go? 😞

Highlighted

Hi Cath. A fun break is always a good idea. Don't overdo it now you are rested.
My appointment well all fine as I thought.
love
Clare
Highlighted

Hi, Gill Great news on being able to drive again. So glad you're finally being able to enjoy your retirement.

Clare - good luck today with the mole check. As you say, better to be safe than sorry.

Hubs and I were away for the weekend - got back late last night. Had a lovely time, but now it's catch-up time.

Cath

Highlighted

Thanks Gill and same to you too. Good to see that you have adjusted to retirement. Keep enjoying it to the fullest.
I am well. Just going to have some moles checked out on the 29th. Think they are just age related but in view of our situation best to get them checked out.
Enjoy the lovely weather July ladies
love
Clare
Highlighted

Happy Bank Holiday Weekend to all the July ladies.

HOPE you are enjoying this beautiful weather.

Wonderful news Julie that results were good and Cath your mammogram clear as well.

I am embracing retirement especially as now without hugh boot on my foot so can drive again..Am spending time catching up with friends and seeing lots of my family .love it .

Hugs to everyone  Gill xx

Highlighted

Fantastic news Julie. I can now breath a sigh of relief now that everyone's results are clear. Yippee to all.
The weather was awful today rainy and chilly but looks like it will be better tomorrow.
love
Clare x x
Highlighted

Julie

Such fantastic news i am so pleased for you, and skydiving too, go you :):)

Good for you Cath, great news your clear again.

Onwards and upwards July ladies.

The sun is shining on us, not literally of course but who cares we are here and relatively well lol xx

Wendy

Highlighted

Yeah, weather has been very up and down here, too. At the moment the sun is out, but I'm not holding my breath. I think our summer may be over. 😞

Highlighted

'Few nice days' that should say. Stupid fat fingers! 😩
Highlighted

Hi Julie, fantastic news, I bet you're so relieved. I'm glad you had a good few days away too, you absolutely deserved it.

Cath, congrats to you too for another clear result.

Weather here is the pits, I've even considered putting the heating on as I'm cold. It's due to rain all day tomorrow too. Shouldn't grumble I know but just a few mi e days here and there for balance would be good. Xx