62908members
330726posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Hi Rapunzel2018. I hope that this cycle of chemo is not so bad for you. I had my third on Monday. Only take steroids for 3 days in the morning post chemo. So I’m expecting to be very tired over the weekend. Afternoon naps are great aren’t they. Your body needs to rest, you’ve bern through a lot. xxx

Hello everyone,

I see there have been some ups and downs for some of us. I hope that things might move onto more plain sailing from now on for everyone! It's hard to keep up one's (inner and outer) strength. It's also hard to communicate how all this feels from the inside, often I don't even know myself how to put it into the right words - or make sense of it. Maybe that'll come later. For now it's a bit of a marathon, I guess.

Had my second round of chemo yesteday. Bloods had recovered nicely in the few additional days I'd been given due to low blood count last week. Now have to inject Filgrastim for 10 days in order to avoid ending up in the same situation. Well, we'll see how that goes. Admit I'm a little scared of the stuff, but if it helps ... Vein used yesterday for canulla a little swollen and unhappy today - but it was a bit of a long session (due to some administrative delay) yesterday so I'm not surprised. Cooling seems to help - if anyone else has any good advice ...

Also got more anti-emetic and more steroids to avoid the prolonged nausea I had in the first cycle. Well, we'll see how it goes. Feels all a bit much to be taking all these pills (am still finishing antibiotics from last week). My body really has to cope with more than ever before. Quite astonished it's doing as well as it is, tbh.

I wish you all lots of strength, and energy, and good rest whenever it is needed. An afternoon nap is a wonderful thing if one can't sleep more than 2 or 3 hours a night, isn't it?

xxx

Rapunzel

Hi all, hope everyone is as well as can be expected.

Had my Picc line procedure today, was surprisingly quick and painless. Thank goodness its sorted in time for my next round of chemo on Monday, my veins have taken a bashing after the cannulas on Saturday x

Hi all, hope everyone is as well as can be expected.

Had my Picc line procedure today, was surprisingly quick and painless. Thank goodness its sorted in time for my next round of chemo on Monday, my veins have taken a bashing after the cannulas on Saturday x

Good luck today maryKamille and I hope this cycle is kinder to you. Another one down. YES! 

I wear a fitbit and it logs my heart rate on my phone. All these episodes of tachy that I'm having are definitely pushing up my average heart rate. Not sure if these gadgets cause more anxiety but it is a good tool to show what has been happening. I'm hoping this anxiousness passes soon...its exhausting me. Gonna try and have a walk this aft. Just been putting some makeup on to try and lift me. I feel so ugly today, hate my bald head, hate the way I look in scarves and my wig makes me hot! Sorry to be a miserable moaning mini...this is strange for me, I normally keep things in. I'm the one people come to and have a vent. Thank goodness for this place, my family and friends are wonderful but they just don't get it. Love to all xx

Hi Jayne

I also have palpitations and mainly when relaxed in bed. Do you think it's anxiety? OK so we think we are 'relaxed' but maybe our thoughts are of the day's events and/or of what's coming next ....?

I do feel for you, as others also, with a list of problems occurring. Chemo does that - makes us vulnerable - but you have certainly had more than your share. Hope you continue to feel OK on this Chemo cycle. I start my 2nd one this pm. It was postponed for tooth extraction. Saw Oncologist yesterday and he fixed up for the Chemo today after examining my 'looks healthy' cavity!

I think he's trying to make up some lost time as my day is Monday really and that would be 21st January, not today. Also, he intends to get me back on Monday next time - so I think I will be a few days short of the 3 weeks for this cycle before they hit me with the next one.

I had problems with the first Chemo cycle  and am trying not to think ahead as to what might happen with this one. Better not to think about it! XX

Jayne1966 sorry to hear you're snotty. Hope the antibiotics get on top of things pretty quickly. Hugs all round xx

Gokat DiKat, I have palpitations too. Like a flutter in the chest, bit unnerving. Only notice it when relaxed in bed.
Good luck tomorrow Gokat. I had a picc line scheduled for just after 2nd chemo too. Asked them to move appt to nearer 3Rd one to have longer without it. So getting mine next Wednesday now.
Woke this morning bunged up. Bright green snot. Called help line to see if ok as had normal temp and was sent straight to docs and now in antibiotics. Each little thing makes me realise how serious this is. I keep trying to play it down in my head but it's not working. On the plus side in half way through week 2 in the cycle and feel like my normal self. Hope everyone eldest is feeling OK. Hugs xxx

Thanks you.  No, no history of palpatations before.  Will mention it tomorrow .  

Hope you are ok now .  xx

Good luck for tomorrow gocat. Don't know if you've seen my earlier post about going to a&E but I had lots of palps this time! Onc think its stress but I'm sure its related to the cocktail of drugs as well. I would check with your unit re all the different side effects for the different drugs. Do you have any history of palps? xx

Got 2nd chemo tomorrow.  Hope I dont get as severely nauseous as the 1st one.  Other than that I got palpatations. Not sure what caused it.  Im was on Dex 4 tabs a day x 3 days. Was told to take the 4 tabs in the morning.  Still couldnt sleep at night.  Also was on the fili injections x 5 days starting 2 days after chemo .  Wonder if it was either one of those that caused the palpatations.  Will mention it tomorrow anyhow.  

Having picc line put in on Monday.  

On filgastrim day 3 for 7 days. Last cycle got very sore hips also stiff and sore sacrum day 8/9. Sorted with cocodamol and ibuprofen and stopped when I finished the injections. Am prepared this cycle!

Just caught up on todays messages. DiKat stay strong hun. That all sounds horrible. I am on the same injections as you. Every day for 7days after chemo. They make my joints ache. I have a constant headache and no idea why.
Sounds like we are all a bit down at the moment and still so early in our treatment. Is struggle to understand why things are different for us all.
I went to avoid local beat cancer support group meeting tonight and meet people going through it and who have been through it. It was good to talk specifically to ladies who have only completed chemo in the last couple of months.
My nurse has said to stay away from anywhere like a gym as it's way to risky on the infection front. All our non cancer problems can be dealt with when we feel better. For now let's just get through tomorrow. sleep well xx

Oh gosh I really haven't got the energy to go to a gym! Not that I've ever been to one I have a exercise bike at home and I keep looking at it thinking I will try and go on it but it's the last thing I feel like doing. Think that was abit insensitive of your oncologist I think we have enough to deal with then making you worry about your weight. And yes tomorrow is a new day xx

Thank you Catlady. It probably is the fluids but I’m a big girl already and my Oncologist was less than complimentary about my weight and told me to go to the gym πŸ™„πŸ™„. Now I’m a bit paranoid about it. Never mind tomorrow will be another day and a better one.

Dikat im glad to hear your feeling calmer today ☺️   im on granocyte (lenograstim) injections for 5 days on EC so can't say on the side effects of yours but I've been fine on mine I was told to take at night so any effects or joint pain are while you sleep.

And drummers widow I know it's another thing that makes us feel crap when we stand on the scales but I've always been told it's better to put on weight then lose it while on treatment and like Dikat said alot of it probably is all the fluids I hope your feeling a little brighter tonight xx

Hi DiKat. I have them on day 5 for 5 days. I suffer from joint pain and pain in my sternum. Also some headaches but is that the chemo xx

Hi DiKat, I had the injections when I had chemo and I felt worse when I had them-my onc said it was chemo SE's that made me feel unwell, but I think it was partly the injections. I don't know how many you're having, but I had 5 with each FEC and then I had 7 with my first T, but managed to negotiate with my onc to reduce my injections to 5 again for my remaining two T's and as far as I'm aware, the reduction didn't make any difference xx

Drummerswidow I really feel for you having AF. My atrial and ventricular ectopic and tachycardia have been described as benign in the past but like you say, it sure is scary when your heart doesn't behave the way it should. A lot of your weight is probably fluid. It's just something else to take on when you're already feeling down.

Think I've asked this before. Does everyone else have Filgrastim and if so has anyone suffered any side effects? X

I'm feeling calmer now Catlady37 thank you very much. My hubby is stressed that I've stopped the Filgrastim injections unnecessarily as he is more concerned that I end up neutropenic again. He is convinced that I'm stressed rather than reacting to the drug. It's just so difficult to know with so much going on. At least those of us on a similar path can hold each other up along the way and dealing with each treatment in turn is a healthy way to approach it x

Hi Trixielady, Jayne 1966, DiKat and Katlady. I think we’re all struggling a bit st the moment. Sorry you’ve been in hospital. I have atrial fibrillation and know how frightening it is when your heart is thundering away. 

I felt miserable this morning when I weighed myself. Put on some more weight but it could be the fluids they pumped into me yesterday! But this is nothing compared to what you are all going through. 

Sending hugs to all xxx

Jayne, so sorry to hear your news, thinking of you x

Hi Jayne1966, So sorry it's not easy to make the decision, it has to be what's right for you, I took my age and hobbies and life plans in mind to make my decision and glad I did, I found my emotions were worse before I started to get inflated because for me it was hard to look down and not see something there and it also made me even more unhappy in my own skin, unfortunately we have decision to make that we never thought we'd have to just give yourself time xxbig hugs always. It would be lovely to just have a cancer free thought tho wouldn't it xx

Hi Dikat 

Sorry to hear you was at A&E last night I know it's scary being there. How are you feeling now? I had a really bad migraine on my first chemo when I spoke to my oncologist she said it was not related to any of the medication and I think it was stressed related so your oncologist is probably right stress can really effect us more then we realise but it goes hand in hand with breast cancer unfortunately.

I feel the same as you with everything that's to come as I'm only at the start of my journey I know I will have A double mastectomy but the only way I can deal with it is take each treatment at a time once the first chemo is over look to the next and take it day by day and remember we are a day closer to being healthy again ☺️

Sending you virtual hugs you can do this πŸ’ͺ

Hi Dikat, sorry to hear about your hospital stay, its so difficult to stay strong for everyone else sometimes I find it helps but at times all you want to do is scream and shout, it's so difficult when you've got kids to worry about I hope they can talk to other family & friends. I'm really pleased with my mastectomy got a few more inflations to go but I don't think I could have coped not having it done hated looking down past it and hated my shape. My concerns is I'm still waiting to start chemo but need the heart scan first xx big hugs & positive thoughts xx

Hi Jayne1966, catlady37 and pastamissus ,Drummerswidow and anyone else around. Jayne I'm sorry to hear your news re your other breast being affected. I'm pleased you got to talk to a good nurse and think you are doing great despite everything being thrown at you. As is everyone else in our club. I think you're all such an amazing bunch. It's so hard when not only do we have our own thoughts and fears to contend with but those of our children and loved ones as well. I'm feeling shocking today. Spent last night in a&E. Heart started going crazy,  pains down my arms, numb hands etc. Was awful!!!! Heart and bloods checked out ok, eventually. Nurse spoke to Oncologist today and he said to stop Filgrastim for a couple of days even though I was ok with it last time. Onc actually things it's all stress and wants me to see someone. I feel so out of control and so scared. I know we're all waning at times so good to know others have come through the other side. I'm also thinking of double mastectomy after chemo and can't even get my head round reconstruction at this stage. I know I need to get a grip as I'm currently living live in fear xx

Patasmissus, I definitely think I want 2 mastectomies. I just want rid tbh. My best friend from school has also been through it and is living flat. I can't bear the thought of them finding more in the future so they have to go. Not sure about reconstruction at the moment but that seems like a small decision in comparison. I'm sure nearer the time I will work it all out x

Jayne - I got it in both breasts too, have had 2 mastectomies and am living flat. In some ways it's actually easier with no boobs at all than just one. All the best for treatment

What horrible news for you. It must be a nightmare to get your head around it all. Sending hugs. I really don’t know what else to say. Bless you everyone is here for you xx

Hi Catlady. I asked the nurse. She only gave me the last ones so next time i’m going to get all of them. 

We are all here for you xx

Catlady, thank you xx

Jayne I'm so sorry to hear that I bet that came as a real blow today ☹️  there really is no pattern to breast cancer its all a mind field! 

But looking at the positives it's stage 1 so they have found it nice and early and can tweak your chemo treatment to blast that too all at the same time keep positive you sound a strong lady so I know you can do this. I will be having a double mastectomy but I will cross that bridge when I come to that stage.

Sounds like you have a really good nurse and that's great she's gone through treatment plans and info on complementary therapies.

I feel for you with your kids and commend you that they are your main concern I can't give advice in that department as I have none but you sound like your doing a super job as for screaming and crying sometimes you just need to let it out and lean on friends and family tomorrow is a new day and you will see through the woods. Sending you a virtual hug xxx

Drumerswidow, hope you feel ok following #3. One more down x

Hi Catlady, Nurse visit was mixed. I had biopsy results from a second test done following MRi scan. I have cancer in keft breast as well. So HER2+ and oestrogen+ on right Grade 2, and HER2- and oestrogen+ on left Grade 1. Feel so gutted to have even more of it even if it is a lower grade. Feel like i just want 2 full mastectomies and to get rid asap.

On the positive side I have been given some info on complementary therapies and things to help the family too, and the nurse spent almost an hour talking through the different treatments and prognosis and the whys and wherefores of it all which has helped.

The kids are still my main area of concern and 2 out of 3 are not dealing with it well, although they both suffer from anxiety anyway which we were already struggling to deal with. Can't see the wood for the trees at the moment and not sure how I feel. Half of me wants to scream and cry whilst the other half wants to try so hard to stay positive and put on a brave face. 

Drummerswidow I hope you're feeling OK after your third round and you enjoyed your nap. I think I will be napping very soon. That's nice to hear you have buddied up with someone else it makes it seem easier abit crap you had such a delay though.
Who do you ask for a copy of the blood results would that be the nurse or oncologist?

And Dikat how are you feeling today I hope you're feeling better I know you have had a rough ride so far but I'm hoping it's getting better for you xx

Drummerswidow hope all goes well after your 3rd EC. Another one down. I do the same with bloods. I suppose it gives me the feeling of slight control in an otherwise uncontrollable situation!

Jayne1966 Hope all went well at today's appointment and hope you got some answers to your questions. 

Take care everyone x

Hi All. Let’s hope we all have a better week this week! Wishing everyone feels better emotionally and mentally. It’s tough isn’t it? 

I’ve had my 3rd EC today. Not been in long due to a delay. The chemo the pharmacy sent down expired yesterday! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„. So I had to wait for some more to come down from pharmacy. Red faces all round. Nurses weren’t happy because they were really busy.

I’ve buddied up with another breast cancer lady. So it’s nice to compare side effects lol. I’ve started asking for a copy of my blood results so I can keep tabs on what’s happening. Feeling tired this afternoon so I’m joining the dogs for a quick πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€. Let’s hope that we don’t get to many problems following chemo today

Hi Marykamille 

Thank you for your reply I've just had my second chemo today and back home and feeling more positive today I think I just needed a good cry and to try get my head around my hair going still think there will be more tears to come maybe I would be better of just shaving it then it's done and move forward.

I have a really nice wig but still haven't had the courage to go outside in public with it yet and I don't think the headscarfs suit me they can look so lovely on lots of women but I don't think I have the face for one but will wear one at home. That made me laugh what your husband said as my other half said something very similar 😁

Hope you're having a positive day too sending you big hugs x

Hi Jayne how did you get on today seeing the nurse? Hope you got all your questions answered

I like the way you had a mohekan for the day it did make me smile picturing it in my head i wish I was that brave 😁

Feeling more positive today after my good cry sometimes you just have to let it all out sending love and positive vibes to everyone x

Pleased to hear you're not suffering ill effects of 2nd FEC. Good luck with the head shave. I've still got a bit of stubble hanging on at the back but pretty much bald sides and top x

Marykamille what Web site did you use for the head accessories?

Fed up of shedding hair, so off to get it shaved tomorrow. Day 5 of FEC2, no brain but apart from that minimal side effects. Just bored!

Hi Catlady
Like you I am reading posts and trying to keep up. Hope you have a better day today.
My hair is just a few wisps now and it's so hard to look in the mirror! I keep my head covered at all times. My wig is good and does not irritate but I save that for when I am outdoors.
Yesterday I ordered a few hair accessories - scarves etc on a good, quick website. These things can give us a lift. Anyway, my husband hates the headscarf I wear mostly and says I look like a fortune-teller!
We had a good laugh over that.
You can't carry on as normal - let yourself cry and rage and whatever it takes. What we're going through ISN'T normal - so be kinder to yourself. XX

DiKat, moving on to THP after 3rd FEC. With you all the way x

Oh no Fluffysunsinepants. This is all certainly a test. Pleased to hear your clear and hope you feel less drained in the next day or two. Take care x

Hi all,

DiKat sorry to hear your having such a dreadful time with the chemo, be gentle with yourself.

I have had a nightmare since Thursday when my oncologist thought i had a blood clot, so ordered an ECG, blood tests, chest xray and CT scan, also two days of clexane as a precaution. Thankfully all is clear but i resemble a pin cushion & feel drained.

Onwards and upwards x

Thanks Jayne1966. It does feel good to share with others who understand.  So are you moving onto THP after 2 Fec? Good luck for your appointment tomorrow and let us know how you get on. Hugs to you too xxx

Callaly, it didn't really sink in worth me either until my hair fell out. I tried to have fun with it by getting a mohekan for a day... at 52! But still I have the cancer look now and is very upsetting. Like your and DiKat I am also chemo first having just had second FEC. We are all scared as heck so just need one of us to be strong each day for those wonderful words of encouragement. We have this ladies... tomorrow is another day xxx

DiKat I really feel for you. Sounds like a rough couple of days. I'm having exactly the same as you only 4 THP which I'm terrified of. Seeing my cancer nurse keyworker tomorrow and I have lots of questions. Really hope you stay to feel better soon. The waiting for the feeling crap and side effects to tail off is bloody awful. Big hugs xxx