69832members
367049posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Lovely to hear you have had a normal weekend and done something you enjoy Jayne 💕 The weather has been fab for it. I had a lovely day yesterday sat outside in my big floppy hat xx

Woopeee September it is then👍👍👍🤣 Your weekend sounds fab Jayne, something normal. Great weather. It’s great getting away in the caravan. Can’t beat it! X

September in edinburgh then. Big meet up when we all feel better. I'm in North Worcestershire.

Ive ordered the 5:2 diet book and will go on for some wow now. Been away in Shrewsbury at a motor racing event in our caravan. Just one night but it was gorgeous to get away. Sat in the shade all day watching the cars and catching up with lots of people I haven't seen in 6 months whilst my other half went car mad. Back home now and completely knackered but feel like I have actually done something normal. 

Oh that sounds so hard Daffydilly. Chemo is  so tough tough tough and then they push us on to rads and hormone tablets, like a conveyor belt,  all with dreadful side effects.  Our poor little bodies haven’t had time to recover.  The NHS staff are brilliant, but honestly until you’ve been through it, no one  truly understands. We are the true warriors. We know what it’s really like ....It’s easy to dispense medicine, it’s not as easy to take it..,..

Anyway, my Easter moan might bring a smile to your faces ladies. I know we are so sick of not having head hair, but I want to shout out out for good old pubic hair 😆😆😆. Who would have guessed that those annoying little hairs help to channel your pee.🤣🤣 I am sick of peeing everywhere instead of the pot!!! It’s like peeing on a toilet seat with cling film on sometimes!  I cannot wait for mine to grow back!

Yes, I would love that Dikat. If you are ever in Edinburgh let me know.😊It would be great to meet up, that goes for any of you ladies, it would be

sooo good. Mind you, if you do ever come up avoid August when the festival is on, it’s gone absolutely mental over the past few years and you can’t move for people. The City is beautiful, but August is not the best time.

Sunnydazex

Sorry you’re not happy at the minute daffydilly.  I know it can take a long time for chemo side effects to completely resolve but shame things aren’t better than this after 6 weeks. I really thought the taste thing would have improved by now. I understand why you have reservations about moving onto a new drug when you still have this all going on! Hope things improve for you soon xx

Sorry so many people are struggling at the moment - hope you all feel better soon and can enjoy the weather before the rain returns!

I think it’s 6 weeks now since last chemo. Tastebuds still not great, lots of aching joints, swollen ankles and palpitations. I should have started anastrozole last week but put it off til tomorrow. Dread any further side effects before chemo ones have subsided and start radiotherapy on Wednesday - I won’t know what is causing what. Not looking forward to next few weeks.

Also wigs are proving very hot in this weather. Have been trying hats and scarves around the house, but not braved it outside yet.

Not a happy bunny at the moment😩😩

Sunnydaze

Sorry you are feeling like 💩 Hopefully you will turn the corner in a few more days. It was Yesterday, day 11 for me, but taste is still awful. Tried a bit of chocolate, yuk! Tried a glass of Prosecco, yuk...still managed to force it down somehow though! I’ve never been to Edinburgh but desperately want to go. If I manage it at some point in the near future will let you know, maybe could arrange to meet for a cuppa.

Kitkat18

This surgery stuff is giving me headache! I’m gonna just see what the surgeon says my options are. It’s a female so will ask what she would do in my situation. In the Liz O Riordan book it says it’s ok to ask this. Will keep you posted.

Love to all 💕

Staffs, Lincs, Scotland. Anywhere else? We really are spread all over the country. Such a shame we can’t all just meet up for a cuppa and a chin wag. I’m in Scotland. Scottish Borders. 25 miles south of Edinburgh. 

Xx

Thanks for that, I read that book when first diagnosed so will dig that out too. I am in Staffordshire, whereabouts are you?  Hoping you feel better soon, agree about the chocolate I can taste it but it’s waaaay too sweet to touch at the moment. Won’t it be great when everything tastes normal again?! Not long now👍🏻👏😛xx

Hey Kitkat,

Good luck with the surgery decisions. I found the Liz O’Riordan book ( the breast surgeon who also had bc) quite useful. It had a couple of good chapters in it about surgery options. Probably not worth buying at this late stage, but your local library may have it. I got it out of the library when first diagnosed and found it quite useful. What part of the country do you live in Kitkat? I was just wondering.

Happy Easter 🐣  lovely ladies. No fear of me eating too much choccie , I can’t taste it 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Day5 after T and feeling like a pile of 💩 

😘😘😘😘 Sunnydaze xx

Happy Easter everyone. Thank you Kc72, Sunnydaze  and Shi for your replies, i’m seeing the surgeon this week so going into research mode. Looking good Dikat as always, thanks for the reminder I’ve got a blonde wow somewhere so will dig it out for when I’ve got more hair to put it on!

Just thought Marlyn, think this new protocol might have only related to people having chemo before surgery. It may not apply with your gremlin being long gone and good riddance too it. Also could be to do with me having multiple lymph’s affected. Excuse the permanent confused chemo state 🤪 xxx

I didn’t realise you were her2pos Marlyn. It’s strange how we all have different treatment regimes. Might be worth you asking about the new Pertuzumab protocol thing. I’m not sure if it’s just something locally or across all trusts. Don’t quote me on this, need to check but think the oncologist said it slightly improves the effectiveness of the Herceptin. Xxx

Dikat, I'm glad you didn't have any reactions, the thought scares the heck out of me! She said it would be an injection in the thigh, I'm her2 pos too but already had gremlin evicted...oh my poor veins! They are already getting knotty ( nurses words) I was beside myself on Thursday as nurse didn't heat up my hand...she said she wasn't trained that way....so I was expecting all kinds of cannula dramas! But...she did it! Although it was defo colder going in....

im sorry to hear you have another 9 months of cannulation, they're going to have to root around for veins! 

Xxxx

Yes, mine was IV. No, I didn’t have a reaction but I’d had the steroids the day before to help prevent it. Not sure if you only have the steroids when having it alongside chemo?? I was meant to have the remaining 15 after chemo as injections but a new protocol has just come out that allows Pertuzumab to be given alongside the Herceptin in my case, because I’m her2 pos so will now have to have them both as IV every 3 weeks so will still be the dreaded cannulation for the next 9 months. It’s not those drugs that are harsh on the veins though, just the chemo...Fec in particular apparently xxx

I've got at least 6 months to a year on herceptin, did they put your through the drip? Mine will start 3 weeks after my last cycle, she told me I will have to stay in for monitoring for 6 hours in case of reaction? Oh err...who knew??? Did you have a reaction??? Xxx

Thank you Marlyn. Think it’s great how we can learn from each other on these forums. Hope you’re not feeling too bad at the minute. You’re doing great, only 2 more!! 

I didn’t know about the Herceptin thing with hair. My head hair started to grow on my 4th chemo and that had herceptin with it. I’ve got another 15 Herceptin to go!! Hopefully you will be ok with your lashes and brows with not having T.

Hope you get to enjoy some of the weekend sun, just remember that factor 50.

love and hugs 🤗💕xx

Dikat, I must thank you for posting your tips I for one have benefited. The eyebrows ka brow is a massive hit and I shall defo be looking into the hair thing....although my chemo nurse told me on Thursday that my hair will grow back slower on herceptin...oh well.....I just want it to grow back somehow! All you ladies here have been a marvellous help, I'm always dipping in and out for tips and reassurance......yes indeed we are all apart of the sisterhood.....xxxxx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Dikat 👭👭👭here’s to sisterhood 👭👭we all give each other strength, understanding, compassion and so much more, these forums turn 💩 into something so beautiful that I don’t think any of us expected it at the start of our journeys, but that’s what thankfully we’ve all found in abundance ❤️❤️❤️And you are glamour puss 😘 💕💕Shi xx

Shi, you are such a special and uplifting person 💕 It is so kind of you to say the things you have. I have and still feel anything but glamorous but will take the compliment anyway 😁 I hope my posts help the people that participate in these threads, I love to pass on anything that might be of some help to anyone else. Don’t know if you noticed the t shirt I’m wearing in the pic with the two cats, underneath it say ‘Sisterhood’. I bought it because it made me think of all the ladies on these threads 😘 xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Dikat, you look fabulous, but then I think you always have through everything, even if you’ve not felt like you have, you’ve been proper glamour puss of dec thread and I’m sure everyone agrees too ❤️❤️Glad you’ve had empowering day, plenty more to come too 😘😘💕💕Shi xx

Ah thanks for your kind words ladies. I got it direct from Color Wow uk sales Marlyn. They had 20% off. It makes me look as though I’ve got more hair than I have. I’ve just been for a walk with my hubby for the first time without a wig. Was only out 20mins and unbelievably saw 4 people I know. It felt so empowering ladies. I highly recommend it 💕

Dikat, yes I do. You look great 😊

That’s amazing. You’ve got so much hair Dikat. Rock chick 😘 

Dikat, that looks great! Where did you get it? Xx

So ladies...I got some of that colour Wow stuff today that you’re supposed to use on your roots. It’s just like an eyeshadow palette. With my fluff coming through grey on top and sides thought I would just brush it on. It’s really easy to do. Do you think I will get away with it for now?So ladies...I got some of that colour Wow stuff today that you’re supposed to use on your roots. It’s just like an eyeshadow palette. With my fluff coming through grey on top and sides thought I would just brush it on. It’s really easy to do. Do you think I will get away with it for now?

Hi Kitkat18.  I had a mastectomy/immediate recon using my thigh (TUG flap). Am v pleased with surgeon and how my new boob looks and feels. The surgeon guided me with my decision over several appointments to show with pics etc what the result be. I was confident with my decision beforehand but what really brought it to life and I would highly recommend is if you have any ‘Show & Tell’ sessions run by the hospital. The one I went to had about 8 ladies who very bravely and kindly undid their dressing gowns to show what they had done, their scars and talked through their recovery etc . They were truly amazing ladies and that really helped cement the decision I was making was best for me as it’s a very personal decision. Good luck xxx

I’m on it Shi 😘😘😘😘

Again I couldn’t link the article Dikat, but here is a screen shot to help you find it.

Kitkat, that’s a shame re; supplements. I have just started eating probiotic yoghurt again. Info at start of chemo said no, but one of the ladies on here was a microbiologist and she said if I had always eaten probiotic and strained greek yoghurt, I would probably be ok, so took the chance.

ive ordered the cookbook by the way Dikat- thank you x

8AFAD6F4-F655-4D19-9C36-A36CA1D0A300.png

Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi sunnydaze I can’t upload but if you look for EyelineHerBlog in the videos on google search, she’s great and her tips and tutorial gives great results to fake brown and lashes, they do come back quick. Jamaican black castor oil rubbed into bonce for about 20 mins before washing with lush new shampoo red dot bar 👍it certainly got good hair back quick 😁I finished chemo jan and could go wigless with a Sinead o’connor Hair by the May. But lashes and brows back 6-8 weeks after finishing, just get the mascara on as they start coming back it trains the lashes to curl again rather than growing straight it 😘😘💕💕Shi xx

I scanned  this NHS  audit before making a surgery decision Dikat. I had a diep flap and I love it. No complaints. My other friend had a skin one taken from under her arm/ back. She loves it too. I just didn’t want any silicone and I had plenty of belly fat after 2 babies. It’s a personal choice but you’ll get there.

sunnydaze xx

Thanks Sunnydaze, wish I had your onc, mine (male) banned me from all supplements but another week or so and I shall rattle😂. The nails went at the end of chemo 7 so if you have had only 6 cycles hopefully you will have less problems. Right off to investigate the rosemary/almond oil and recipe books - thanks girls xx

Yes he is definitely right Sunnydaze.

Yes, I ordered it from amazon. It’s well laid out and easy to follow, just no pics of the food xx

Thanks Hi Kitkat18

Glad you could taste bacon. My taste is still not great but slightly better if I have chewing gum just before I eat.

Ive been using polybalm for nails since T but nowhere near as often as they recommend. My 2 big toenails look a bit purple at the bottom but fingernails seem ok so far 🤞I’ve noticed a lot of ladies on other forums seem to have problems later on so who knows??? I didn’t paint mine at all during chemo. Oh the surgery dilemma....I keep wavering. I posted on the May18 Surgery thread as was interested to get the feedback from some of the ladies who are a year on, whether they felt they’d made the right choice. I’m seeing Surgeon Tuesday so let’s see what comes of that xx

Ooh Dikat

That looks gorgeous, it’s making me hungry. Is the book good? I think I will order it off Amazon.

i love my food and I enjoy healthy eating. I was moaning to my husband about the stone I have put on. He said   Well it’s better to put on a stone than die of cancer!! Yes, quite 🤣🤣🤣 I’ll take that anyday.  It puts it in perspective a bitxx

This is just an example of some of the types of recipes. The book also fully explains how to do the plan.This is just an example of some of the types of recipes. The book also fully explains how to do the plan.

Hi Shi

Thanks for the info on the YouTube clips. Can you copy the link, I would love to see it! X

And kitkat, sorry to hear about the state of your nails. It sucks doesn’t it! My Onc told me it’s ok to take vit d throughout chemo, it’s good for skin and nails I think. Also she said it was good to take a complex B also good for hair, nails and skin. I know one of the ladies on the January thread gave me some ace info about hair loss, as she had sadly suffered alopecia in the past. You can take Biotin ( a vitamin) now that you have finished chemo.  This is supposed to be good for hair growth. I have seen it in Holland and Barratts and I’m going to buy some. She also used rosemary essential oil , rubbed into almond oil and massaged the head  upside down every day to stimulate follicles. I have been using it and it’s certainly an inexpensive way to promote hair growth. It’s strong smelling though, so only do it when not going out, or at night time. Rosemary, apparently is a product used by The ancient Greeks/Romans to promote hair growth and is still used in Mediterranean countries today. It doesn’t cost much so, nothing to lose. I got mine in the Holland and Barratt sale.

sunnydaze xxx

Hi Sunnydaze 

I bought The New 5:2 Diet Cookbook Jacqueline Whitehart about a year ago. I only wanted to lose about 4lbs at the time, obvs don’t need it right now. It has 2 plans, the original 500 calories or a new revised plan of 800 calories which looks more doable for people struggling on 500. It’s got some decent recipes in with calorie counts xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi kit Kat, there might be some surgery threads you could hop on also you could start a new thread with that question and there is the someone like me option on bcc too ❤️❤️Hope that helps. I’ve still got one smaller than the other and I’ve still not decided if I’m going to get levelled up or not, you’ll make right choice for you ❤️❤️💕💕Shi xx

Thanks for that Sunnydaze, I’ve lost a stone while on chemo but got another one to go and had thought that 5:2 diet looked the most doable.  My nails are shocking, with the white tip now starting half way down the nail and the bottom half is purple with bruising although the toenails are still fine. I have treated mine with polybalm and EvoNail uv filter throughput T but heyho the joys of chemo😬. I’m with you on the se’s Dikat although I could actually taste bacon this morning so better days are coming! The hair is gradually making a reappearance although with my OH’s very high forehead so I have resolved not to go without cap or wig in public until I have more hair than he does🤣. Counting the days til I can get back on the hair and nail supplements! 

Is anyone else involved in decision making for surgery/reconstruction options at the moment, really not sure what to do...

Enjoy the warmth and sunshine, I do love Spring xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Dikat ❤️👭❤️❤️Have a look at some makeup tutorials on google, there was this brilliant girl who’s had alooecia and she is amazing at eyebrows and eyelashes 👍👍I know it’s not the same as bc, but she’s no hair permanently so is fantastic at getting her make up pow pow 👍👍it’ll take you a bit of practice but once you’ve nailed it, you’ll be zowie (to quite captain cave man and the teen angles) and trust me the weight does go back on 👍👍I put noting in during treatments and now a year on have managed a hefty 3 stone 😳so that 5:2 info will be useful for me thanks sunnydaze, now beautifuls you 🌞🌞🌞🌞like the warm rays of 🌞🌞🌞🌞you all are 💕💕Shi xx

Hi All.

Hope the sunshine is making us all feel slightly better! I thought I was doing okay until today. Out of breath when walking and feeling very tired with no energy! Managed to get along to have my manicure this morning. My hands are in such a state. Got bright pink nails to cheer me up. Think I’m going to part company with a couple of toenails though. 

Dikat sorry you are feeling so awful with the se. You seem to be struggling with them. I know the injections really affect me so hopefully you’ll pick up when you finish them. 

My hair is growing a bit but coming back grey. Oh well it will be fashionable! Not sure about the look on an overweight 59 year old though! I have been looking at diets and will try to get the weight off when I feel a bit better.

My Oncologist phoned 7pm last night to say I’m to have an ultrasound on my mastectomy scar. Apparently something showed up on the CT scan I had. I haven’t got the energy to worry about it. She doesn’t seem unduly concerned. One step forward etc etc! 

Have ve a good weekend everyone and get some Vitamin D! We all need it. 

IHi All

im trying the 5:2 diet 500 calories for two days when chemo wears off, in about a month. A friend at work went on this and lost loads of weight. I think the 500 calories acts a bit like a detox for 2 days, so that’s good for our chemo detox plans. The restof the days you Eat what you want, but they recommend a Mediterranean diet (info on this diet on the net) The NHS state there is a small amount of evidence to suggest that the 5:2 diet might help those st risk of breast cancer , but they sit on the fence really, saying more evidence is needed. Anyway here is the link on the NHS site if anyone is interested. You can also google the 5:2 diet for recipes. 

Oh pffft, I can’t copy the link. I’ll just screen shot the starting page and you can probably google it, if interested. At least this diet is free, no weekly subscription.

Jayne, I think our hair will have a full crop coverage between 15-20 weeks, as I read other threads. Some women have also lost nails, especially toe nails after chemo. I just put clear nail varnish on mine, keep them very short too. It looks like I have been on the woodbine, stained slightly🤣 I know what you mean about eyebrows and lashes, it’s really hard losing these. Mine are still here, just, but I’m only 3 days into last chemo. They might well go. Good for you for going bald outside. I don’t quite have the confidence yet, I need just a covering and I’ll be there. I just feel like an alien just now

sunnydazexxCE7A8E04-34C0-49A2-98AF-85BE3FC35F08.png

Pastasmissus, I feel your pain with the weight. I can't wait to feel well enough to start doing something about it. 

Dikat, they specifically booked me on LGFB workshop for once chemo finished as it's such a lift. Defo book on it and hope you start feeling better soon. 

Sunnydaze., my eyebrows are almost gone and I have the shortest eyelashes ever as they are growing back. I'm finding no eyebrows more upsetting than no hair tbh, although I do just brave the bald look as my wig just not comply and no one seems to care. I too have whispy baby hair. Growing very slowly and can't wait for it to thicken up a bit. One chemo to go for me on Tuesday so I'm expecting to loose rest of eyebrows.

How are everyone's nails? I  Have heard and seen some ladies where they have come off completely. Mine are ridged and yellow. Wondering what to expect. I have started with cuticle oil twice a day but I think I'm too late to have much effect. 

Happy Easter all xx

Hope you’re on the up again soon Dikat. We have all done so well. Try and get out in nature for a walk, it will lift your spirits. 

You snd KC72 have just inspired me to get off my own backside and try to get on one of those LGFG courses. They only thing is, I will have to trail up to The Maggies Centre in Edinburgh, but no doubt it will be worth it. They are advertising a course  for 30th April, but I bet it’s booked up and I can’t find out because they are quite rightly closed over the Easter 🐣 break. I will ring on Tuesday. I definitely feel I need it more these days, given thAt chemo has finished😊😊😊😊 and I hope to get out and about and face the scary world a bit more. I need some hair . I have still got faint eyebrows and lashes, but they are getting thin. Have yours gone in this session Is it possible that they go even after chemo has ended. My hair is coming back very fine, lime baby hair. It csnt come soon enough. As soon as I get a short covering i will be dumping All head gear. My wig especially does my head in. It’s too hot.

Ok, have a good Easter in the sunshine y’all 

Sunnydaze🐣🐣🐣😎😎😎❤️

Dikat, hope you are soon on the up again. And if you can get a place on the look good session it’s really worth it for a bit of a mental lift, a bit of a chat and all the goodies! 

Best wishes for the Easter weekend everyone xx

🐣🐣🌷🌷🌷🐣🐣

Well it’s 10 days since my last and final chemo and still feeling rubbish with Se’s. I had my last Filgrastim last night though so hoping things will improve in the next couple of days. I’m convinced they add to the problem. I thought I coped really well with the hair loss but really struggling with the almost non existent eyebrows and lashes. With that and the pale, yellow skin look like a proper C patient! I’d been waiting to go on the LGFB course but my Macmillan nurse hasn’t got back to me. Think they get filled quickly and it almost seems pointless now.

Anyway, enough negativity “this too will pass”

Hope all you ladies have a lovely Easter weekend and enjoy the sunshine. Thank you for your continued support, forums are a godsend xx

I put on 2stone 7 lb with chemo! Rather frustrating as I spent most of last year on a serious diet and lost 4 stone (was still a chunky 13st 7 though!). I suppose at least the clothes fit.....