66906members
353133posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Highlighted

Re: w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Brilliant LB πŸ™ŒπŸ₯‚

Highlighted

Congratulations LB, yes a big milestone hit πŸ””. Hope you feel up to celebrating soon πŸ₯‚ Can safely say my taste for alcohol has definitely returned πŸ˜‚xx

Highlighted

Congratulations LB πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ”” You smashed it  β€οΈ Well Done and enjoy a wee drink when you’re up to it.

gGreat you got the message xx

Highlighted

Hi kc72 

thankyou I have celebrations in mind that will involve booze 🍷🍾πŸ₯‚πŸ» I hope it won’t be too long until I am able 🀣🀣 πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Highlighted

Hi sunnydaze ignore my last plea and subsequent messages - I put my brain into place and discovered how easy it is to message - who knew🀣🀣🀣🀣 xxxx LB 

Highlighted

That’s fab news LB. Yippee indeed!

Take care of yourself, and hope you take a moment to mark that massive milestone when you feel ready. πŸ₯‚ 😊

KC72 xx

Highlighted

Hi Sunnydaze how do I find your message? I haven’t tried that yet 😏 Thankyou xxx

yippee I have just had my final chemo πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ Still got to go for wonder drugs but a big milestone hit πŸ€—πŸ€—

hugs to all πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— LB xxx

Highlighted

Do send your number maryK as there is some nice chat on the other group and only about 3 not in it. If you don't have or want to Dow load WhatsApp then like sunnydayz said we will keep you up to date on here. 

AAbsolutely Annie has sent me her number but unfortunately doesn't have WhatsApp at the moment. X

Highlighted

Hi MaryKamille 

Pleased you enjoyed LGFB 😁 Hope you continue to enjoy your early retirement and will be lovely to meet you when we all eventually get together xx

Highlighted

That’s great you got the message Mary Kamille and that you might want to meet up too.😍 If you don’t do WhatsApp, we can keep you up to speed with any plans, I’m sure via this page.

Also, I sent LB a private message too, to join the group. I hope you got it LB.πŸ‘

I think we’ve got everyone else, but if you’re interested in a meet up, please message Jayne and she will add you to the group.

Sunnydaze xx

Highlighted

Hi Jayne

I got your private WhatsApp message but don't know how to do those in reply. I hope I might make a later meeting and thanks for including me in that possibility.

I'm lucky in that I retired very early and don't have to worry about jobs any more. I hope work situations generally are helpful these days, especially with what everyone is going through in treatments. They say it takes 2 years before we are anywhere near recovered and of course there's no going back to exactly what we were before. Hope your boss is fully aware and ready to accommodate you.

I finished last Rad on Thursday 13th and had my Look Good Feel Better workshop this morning which was great. Picked up some other booklets though which relate to what to do when treatment is finished. Strange how quickly you can move on mentally to the next bit. I do feel a bit abandoned. Why? I wanted this all to be over and pushed behind me!

Will you try something else when you do feel up to returning to work? Maybe that's part of the changes that can take place.  xx

Highlighted

I am back at work but I am lucky, I am part time 3 days a week and a lot of it is working from home or driving around for meetings. I run my own diary to some extent. I worked from home in my good weeks during chemo and around my rads treatments. I am 9 days after rads now and do feel a bit tired this week so staying home.

It it was very daunting the first proper week back seeing people again. But now I forget I am wearing my headband (still have some hair due to cold cap) and don't have any eyelashes. That LGFB eyeliner and the benefit gimme brow get a work out when I am seeing people! Everyone knows my situation and have been pleased to see me back. If you can manage to get back to work go for it. It gives you a sense of normality and other things to think about.

LB, love that earlier post, how true!

Highlighted

Hi Absolutelyannie

I'm back at work but I didn’t need rads. I think it’s a very personal choice on when the right time to go back is but my health and well being is now priority. I’ve been off since Aug but was dipping in during chemo to the office on my good days. Would like to be full time in July with the caveat of not overdoing it. Good luck in your application but make sure you listen to your body/mind so you don’t do too much too soon and build it up to a comfortable level. I’m not afraid to leave the office each day if I hit a physical wall of tiredness. 

Kc72 x

Highlighted

drummerswidow

Good luck with that.  You have a plan.  I am 55 and am not getting stressed out - my health comes first from now on. 

Highlighted

I know what you mean especially about the financial side. I’m self employed and will have to go back to work soon as the money is running very low! I have decided to do part time anyway. I’m 60 next year and have been thinking of cutting back. Also will try to downsize house wise next year. 

Highlighted

drummerswidow

I work in Finance so mainly talking (cursing!!) to computers.  

Highlighted

It is the social and financial benefits that I am missing.   All my friends are at work and I feel that stuck at home doesnt suit me but want to see how I am after radiotherapy. 

I work in Universities and there is a university attached to the hospital.  I have applied for a similar role to the one I had and hope that the panel may look kindly on my situation.  It is a full time role but the advertisement says they will consider any working arrangement.  Macmillan are posting out some information about my rights at work.  I know I can't be discriminated against but employers can still pick and chose who they give the job too.

I dont intend to compromise my health though and will stay away from work if I have to.  

Highlighted

Absolutely Annie

I would see how you are with the rads. I feel tired though it’s only a week since I finished rads. Your body has been bombarded with treatment and needs to heal.  Having said that you can still look for work. I don’t know what type of work you do. I do quite a lot of driving and also talking to people. That can be draining lol 

Highlighted

I definitely can't face going back to work. My boss wants to talk to me so I'm guessing that's the question she has. I'm signed off until the 1st August but have no intention of going back until I absolutely have to. And then I may try and get a 6month sebatical if I can. I feel like I need a Gap year tbh x

Highlighted

Glad it isnt just me. I have a meeting with my head of department on Thursday, finish rads tomorrow. I'm dreading it. I'm a teacher but will be asking for a LOT of leeway and support for September- i hope to spend some time at school before the summer hol. Good luck with the job hunting. If my situation was different I think I would look for just a day or two somewhere very quiet...no idea what though!

Highlighted

stuck at 14

I know what you mean about feeling like you have run a marathon!!!! I am the same. 

I just wondered if people have returned to work after all this crap.  I am now looking for a job.  sometimes I am bored silly here at home - need to do more than housework but I have to get through radiotherapy which I hope will start later this week.  Planning meeting on Wednesday so oncologist booked me in for appointment on 22/7/2019 saying my radiotherapy should be finished by then. 

Highlighted

Yes, thank you LB that was a sweet post. ❀️

Can anyone of you lovely ladies out there recommend any sun screen especially for bc ladies that’s anti cancer?  

I’m going on holiday soon and my radiologist advised factor 30 for my body and 50 for the breast area after radiation. Also to cover up as much as possible and I used to love the sun...

sunnydaze xx

Highlighted

Lb! The award for most hugged post I think πŸ™‚

Highlighted

Just beautiful, LB. Bless you. If we stay on here in this Forum it's good to think we can contribute to uplifting the next group who have to undergo all this. All these experiences, questions, answers and great thoughts are a huge positive input. No-one should feel alone and everyone can have a rant, moan, or whatever they need in the bad times, but it's the positive messages that stay with us and give us comfort. True for me, anyway. 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh LB that's beautiful.. Just what I needed to kick start my Monday 

@DiKat wrote:

That’s lovely LB. Thanks for sharing xx

Highlighted

That’s lovely LB. Thanks for sharing xx

Highlighted

I saw this on Facebook and thought of all the comfort and help that I have had from all you ladies πŸ€— 93CB2232-C226-4E0F-9C3C-0608B8AE7FFD.jpeg

Highlighted

Thanks Jayne for sorting WhatsApp, I’ve pm-ed you. G and Dikat, so pleased to hear your good news! xx

Highlighted

Thanks for doing this Jaynie!

ive sent you my details.

Sunnydaze xx

Highlighted

Have sent my number for the WhatsApp group πŸ™‚ thanks lovely ladies!

@Stuck at 14 wrote:

Good to read that we are all being sensible and talking about strange lumps or symptoms. I wonder if they are quite used to lots of worries when they see us towards the end if treatment. 

I had a biopsy on a scar tissue lump, I'm having a chest scan because I'm worried about my cough, and I'm also worried about how achey my legs are- it's all over ache like I've run a marathon but comes on when I've rested for a bit πŸ˜• 

Highlighted

Good to read that we are all being sensible and talking about strange lumps or symptoms. I wonder if they are quite used to lots of worries when they see us towards the end if treatment. 

I had a biopsy on a scar tissue lump, I'm having a chest scan because I'm worried about my cough, and I'm also worried about how achey my legs are- it's all over ache like I've run a marathon but comes on when I've rested for a bit πŸ˜• 

Highlighted

OK this WhatsApp group. Anyone who is interested in the meet up, message me with your mobile phone number and I will set up the group. Even if you are not sure about coming, join the group and see where and when and by the time it comes round you may find yourself wanting to come. Also you can join later or leave the group at any time. There is no pressure here. 

Highlighted

Hi gocat

Your past experience is proof that it is so important to get things checked out. I’m pleased you followed your instincts. 

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been having discomfort under my right arm, opposite side to my cancer. I had a feel around my right boob and it felt different and lumpy. I tried to have a word with myself, you know all the usual stuff like I’ve recently had chemo, I had an MRI at the end of March and everything was fine then etc etc. I just couldn’t get it out of my head though so told breast surgeon when I was getting my results on Wednesday. Both she and my Macmillan nurse were so lovely. The surgeon examined me and said she couldn’t feel anything unusual but she would get me scanned straight away to put my mind at rest. This was done and everything apart from some small cysts was normal. My boobs are really small so because there is very little fat apparently I am feeling glandular tissue which they said is probably changing as I’m heading towards the menopause. Sometimes I think I am going to drive myself insane!! My Macmillan nurse said never feel embarrassed about getting things checked out as it’s far more important to do that and put worries to bed rather than suffer the effects of the worrying. I do feel lucky that they are all so understanding. The Oncology nurses are good at my hospital but all the staff in my breast care unit are in a league of their own. They are so caring and have understanding and empathy in abundance.

Sunnydaze, love shake it off...always makes me smile. My 2 granddaughters love it too πŸ’ƒ 

Sorry to hear the rads are pulling you down. Keep strong, like you say half way there and you will be back swimming before you know it!

I get what you say about hiding away and it must make it easy for you to do it with where you live. I do find, however, the more you make yourself get out there and do so called β€˜normal’ things, the easier it is and the less time you have to think about the numerous anxieties. 

I’ve managed to have a nice day today. Hubby and I took our younger daughter to Leeds to the University open day. She is due to go Sept 2020. It was lovely even though I have constant reminders that my body is not the same. I need to go for a wee more often, leg and back ache after a certain amount of walking, feel breathless climbing stairs etc etc. Know all of you ladies will get this. I feel absolutely knackered now πŸ€ͺ

Nov would be good with me for a meet up. Will have to get Jayne to get this WhatsApp group going. Fingers crossed the rain stops and we can all do at least one nice thing for ourselves over the weekend. Going to have a glass of wine tonight so cheers πŸ₯‚ ladies xx

Highlighted

Also had some problem with post menopausal bleeding.  Had a ultrasound scan last week and now they phoned me and said there is some thickening on lining of womb and want to do a hysterscopy on Monday.  One thing after another.  And I thought I was at the end of treatment when I finished my chemo.

Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.  

Hopefully will all turn out to be nothing.  But best to be checked out.  

Highlighted

Hi Gocat

Gosh good job you were assertive and got seen.  I never felt a lump at all with my cancer just noticed changes and my tumour was 6 cms! I had to phone the MacMillan Radiographer this morning about my skin. I feel as they think I’m being paranoid about things and a nuisance. 😟😟.  I’m going to have bloods done next week. I’ll phone the bcn and see her as well. 

Highlighted

Im the same drummerwidow.  I saw plastic surgeon last week about phase 2 from my reconstruction last year, and pointed out a lump I have near my masectomy/reconstruction scar, and he said I just need to massage it more.   I thought about it when I got home and contacted my bcn and now got an appt to see my breast cancer surgeon next Wednesday. Im not taking chances.  I want it biopsied just to make sure. 

My diagnosis last year was only because I queried a tiny lump on my lumpectomy scar from previous cancer 10 years ago.  GP, etc thought it was just scar tissue but referred me to breast cancer unit at my insistence and glad I did as it turn out to be triple negative cancer.  

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Big fat hug right back at you sunnydaze πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ˜πŸ˜beautifully written below ❀️You are all doing amazing and the ups and downs are all part of the journey, you let it out when you need to and you get your kick ass boots on when you need to 😘😘and together you are πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

First of all I want to say how pleased I was to hear good news from Dikat and G. I know there are still a lot of demons to live with, but the news could have been so much worse and I’m so glad it wasn’t. I’m really pleased for you both xxx  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I hope you enjoyed your champagne G and I also so hope that you now don’t have to have a double mastectomy.

Jayne, I’m sorry you’re feeling low and I understand that feeling of  β€œslapping” out of it. I  sometimes play β€œ Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift when I feel like this. It cheers me up to have a wee dance around the kitchen sometimes. 🀣🀣🀣 Nothing changes, but I get a wee dance.

Stuck at 14, I hope you’re doing ok. I felt really sad to read your post and to know that you’re really struggling. I hope that you can get some support. I have always found my lovely female GP helpful because my local cancer team support has been non existent.

When I worry about death and recurrence I tell myself that I could just as easily be knocked down by a bus etc. 

I know we all have to face mortality at some point, it’s just that cancer makes you look at your own mortality up front and personal. May be we should just turn this around and learn to live our best lives, one step at a time?

AbsolutelyAnnie, it’s really good to hear how good your team have been to you and I’m sorry to hear how hard it has been to end seeing this supportive group of people.

I hope you are able to find more support  moving forward, from Macmillan or a local support group of BC ladies. I think you said you had been to your local Maggies and they are just fabulous in offering a hand of support.

It’s really really tough to try and rebuild yourself up again after this ordeal. I am really struggling with this too and I am making very slow progress. I am over anxious, sensitive, I can cry at the drop of a hat and will easily take things the wrong way  some days and other days I feel fine, but having rads has  really pulled me back down again. At least it’s only short term and I’m already half way through and then I can go swimming again - my safety valve. πŸŠβ€β™€οΈ

I just  generally tend to  hide away ( it’s easy Because I live in the country) and feel protected by my husband and my two gorgeous teenage daughters, but I know I cannot hide away forever. I’m hoping the school holidays will help when we will get out and about, as my husband is a teacher too. I’m hoping getting out and about will help me reintegrate again 🀣🀣🀣🀣 i sound like a prisoner, with no hair lol!!!

Drummerswidow, yes, I absolutely second what everyone else has said. I would go to your GP and lay it on thick so you can get a second opinion. I know how you feel, when I found the sebaceous cyst on my scalp ( it’s nothing to worry about) my GP put my mind at rest. I was in tears in the surgery. Definitely put pressure on the medics to get this sorted and put your mind at rest.

And finally... Re; a meet up.πŸ‘ It was me Jayne that suggested a WhatsApp group. I haven’t done anything about it because rads has pulled me back down again and not feeling great tbh. I still think it will be a lovely thing to do though. If anyone else wanted to go and set something up, that’s fine with me, but I think early November would be the earliest I could manage.

love and big fat hugs to all you amazing ladies.

Sunnydaze xxxxπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜β€οΈπŸ’•

Highlighted

Drummerswidow, in no way are you being stupid. I would be exactly the same. I've had double mastectomy but am still feeling all around my boobs every day and questioning every thing that feels odd. Try crying to the breast care nurses and see if they can pull and strings to get you a biopsy and put your mind at rest. Worry is not good. 

Take care

Xx

Highlighted

Hi Drummerswidow, fully empathise with your feelings here and completely agree with DiKat, if your mind can’t settle speak to someone. 

Big hugs xx 

Highlighted

I would feel exactly as you do Drummerswidow. Friends say things like that because they mean well but anyone who hasn’t been in our situation cannot truly understand. If you continue to feel worried, please get it checked out because the worrying can be so damaging xx

Jayne, no slaps from us lot. Just wish I could give you a big hug πŸ€— xx

Stuck at 14, hope you’re ok. Please vent if you need to xx

Highlighted

Fab news G. Hope you enjoyed that champagne πŸ₯‚ xx

Highlighted

On Monday when I saw the surgeon he found a small lump on my scar line. He doesn’t think it’s anything to worry about because I have had chemo and radiotherapy. I have to keep an eye on it and to contact them if it gets bigger. With my sensible brain, I know he’s right but with my cancer head on I’m now worrying about it. I mentioned it to a couple of my friends who say I’m being stupid. They haven’t had breast cancer though 😟😟

Highlighted

Jayne 1966

As G said you are allowed to feel low. None of us will tell you to buck your ideas up or tell you you should be feeling better now.  Vent your feelings, have a good cry. We all have to do it to keep ourselves sane.  

You will have days of feeling low it’s only natural. Sending a big hug xx

Highlighted

Jayne, you are very much allowed to be low, feel low,whatever.  It is brave and real to admit how you feel and I am very grateful that this is a place we can all share the ups and downs of this crazy world.  In my day of good news, I am very much still under the cloud of worry and rubbish, I can’t shake that, people around me are happier and more relieved than I am and I think this is because only we know the true extent of the fear and pain we have built up over the months.

Big hugs and please remember that we are all here for you G xxxx 

Highlighted

I won't slap you Jayne, I'm really sorry you feel low but it is definitely completely understandable. I wont ramble on about my last few days again but safe to say I have cried a lot. 

I'm Sorry I dont remember exactly where you are up to but wherever it is you are amazing g to have got through it and there will be sunnier days very soon I promise. Xxx

Highlighted

Someone slap me please. Why do I feel so low? 

Highlighted

That’s fab news G on your test results and PET scan. Hope you enjoy popping the champagne to mark all you've achieved. Here’s to you 🍾πŸ₯‚.

Good luck with recon discussions and continuing to move through and on your treatment. 

KC72 x

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

GπŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»Fantastic news πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸΎπŸΎso pleased for you πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi G

That’s good news! Enjoy your champagne! X