Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

739 REPLIES 739
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Hi debi, please use the phone number at the top to discuss. I lost weight from diagnosis, through treatments because I’d stopped eating any junk. Your team are just being thorough which is what they should be doing, please speak to your assigned bc nurse too, they are there to answer any questions you have regarding everything ❀️ Sending πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Hi all

I hope everyone is well and getting on with things.  I noticed there hadn't been any message on the April post for quite a while.

I popped on to ask a question (hoping someone is there😊) I just wondered if anyone as lost weight from the start of their diagnosis?  I was weighed by my consultant today and i have lost around a stone since March.  He has referred me for a blood tests and a CT scan which has really worried me. 

Any one have the same?

Debi xx

Hello Debi

So pleased u have finally got a date for your radiotherapy YAY !!  Thats great you will be finished in time for xmas!!

With regards to your holiday, BOOK IT!!  Dont let the **bleep** (thats what me and the kids call it!!) stop you from enjoying yourself.  We went on holiday in october and it was great to relax and forget about all the crap that has happened to us this year.  The holiday will be something for you to look forward to and you deserve to enjoy yourself.

Hope all the ladies on here are keeping well? It certainly is quiet these days now a lot of us have finished our treatment, and our lives are beginning to get back to the way they were before.

Take care

Sue xxxx

Hi Everyone

Radiotherapy starts on Wed - 20 sessions.  Will be finished just in time for Christmas!

Can i just ask - does anyone feel reluctant to plan anything for the future?  I was going to book an holiday for Sept next year but i fear that if i book it something 'C' related will pop up and i will have to cancel and fear losing my money.  Is this a normal feeling or am i being paranoid?

Debi x

Brilliant. I hope it all went well yesterday. You must be relieved it’s done. And radiotherapy is time consuming but not nearly as tough on the body. 

I think we should all hope for a better 2020! 2019 was a bit rubbish to say the 
least.

Oots xx

Hello Kelly

Good luck with your last chemo and make sure you ring that bell loud and proud!!!

Radiotherapy is a breeze compared to chemo!!

Hope all the rest of the ladies are doing ok?

Take care

Sue xxx

Hello girls

well the day has finally arrived. I have my last chemo session today πŸ‘

. it’s been a long time coming, but it’s finally here.

will just have 3 weeks of Radiotherapy to do, after this, then I can put this horrendous year behind me.

hooe you are all doing well x

Hi 

I am in Yorkshire (west).

Debi

Hi NikNak

Im in Warrington (cheshire).

Sue xx

Hi Sue

im in Suffolk, where are you? 

Hi All

Its lovely to hear from everyone again and great to hear that we are all getting to or have got to the end of treatment.  

Sue it would be lovely to meet up with everyone, i am sure we could arrange something.  I think the February starters did this, not sure if they did it through private messages - i will have to have a look.

I am still waiting for my appointment for planning session then i can crack on with radiotherapy.  

I was looking into Oxygen therapy which a friend had suggested to help with my recovery, has anyone else tried this?

I am also going to overall my diet to include cancer fighting foods to lower the chance of recurrence.  Does anyone else eat differently now to include these foods?

Wishing you all well

Debi

Hello ladies

Sorry not posted on here for a while, just been reading the thread and it sounds like u are all doing amazing with your recovery.  Good luck to those ladies still undergoing radiotherapy.  Hope you are coping well with any side effects.

Im slowly returning to normal life.  If that is at all possible!!  I get very emotional when i talk to people and tell them my treatment is finished.  It feels like a lifetime since i was diagnosed in february, the treatment took up most of this year so it feels odd now treatment is at an end.  My hair is growing back quite quick now, and starting to use shampoo on it again - i stopped washing it in May when it started to fall out so it feels weird to wash it again!!

I was lucky to go abroad with the children last week, we had a lovely week in Spain.  As well as my diagnosis and treatment, u may recall i also lost my mum to breast cancer in February.  My lovely work colleagues held a fundraising day a few months ago and we used the money to go on holiday.  We had a lovely week in the sun and it was nice to put the awful year behind us.  Sadly we had our cat put to sleep the week before we went away, he was a very well loved little man and we all miss him.

This week i will return to work.  Im on a phased return for the first month.  It will feel very odd to go back to work but also looking forward to returning to normality.  I know im going to be so emotional but ive had amazing support from my work colleagues and i know they will be making me lots of tea to ease me back in.

I know its been mentioned previously but if anyone would like to meet up to put a face to a name i would love to - not sure how it would work logistically but it may be nice to do over the xmas holidays?

Take care ladies - u are all amazing!!!,

Lots of love

Sue

Hi all

i have not been here for ages. Mainly because I tried to move on and it has been a battle. I had my radiotherapy in July and it was so much easier than chemo but I was sooooooo tired. I used E45 dermatological cream for dry skin twice a day and had no problems with the skin at all. 

The biggest problem since completing all my treatment was the fatigue. I was too tired for anything. Perhaps there was a psychological element there too. The fighting was done and I was losing the fighter attitude. Most afternoons I had to sleep for a few hours. In addition to that my muscles had wasted away and I was very unfit. I am also experiencing the most amazing (not in a good way!) hot flushes ; dripping like a tap many times a day. 

I decided to start walking and initially I was barely able to walk 5 minutes slowly. Now I walk more than 30 minutes at a decent pace. I also had my bloods checked and it turns out I was low on vitamin D and ever since I started taking the supplements, I feel much more energetic. For the last 3 weeks I have not needed these extensive naps anymore which I am very glad about. I have even got a gym inductIon session booked. Hopefully that will help with muscles and stamina.

I am just starting to feel a bit like my old self again and even my face looks more like it used to. It was still a bit swollen but that went away gradually. 

The hot flushes are still a bother but I drink a lot of peppermint tea and that seems to help a bit. I am also contemplating acupuncture. 

I am so glad to see progress of the group. Remember when we all started and it seemed this would go on forever? We’ve been real fighters. 

Oots

Glad to hear we all seem to be moving on.

I'm half way through radiotherapy and, so far, no Ill effects.  Just tired with all the travelling! Interested to hear about all the different creams. I was given moisturiser to put on twice a day and steroid cream once a day. If I need more I just have to ask.

And as for cover ups! Well, a couple of sheets of white paper and that's it. It gets quite cold in the room too! 

Getting to recognise a number of people , seems to be more men than women.

Bramley, I was so pleased (sorry!) to read about your slow hair regrowth. Mine isn't showing any signs at all 5 weeks post chemo. Just have to wait I suppose..... at least I'm not alone. Thank goodness I like my wig!

However, there have been days this week when I have felt so much better. Haven't really been myself since March. I'm sure many of us are the same. Sure, I'm tired, nails are shot to pieces, feet are numb and tingly, joints are sore (letrosole se) but I FEEL well........

Best wishes to you all.

Pollensa

Hi Nik Nak and Debi

It's a bit quiet on our thread these days but I guess some of our ladies are now getting back to their normal lives again and don't want to look back. Who can blame them either! 

Nik Nak, glad you have your dates for radiotherapy now.  The last phase of active treatment.  Debi, hopefully you can start soon too.  I wonder how they calculate how many sessions each of us need for radiotherapy.  I'm having 3 weeks (15 sessions) but it sounds like you are both having 15 sessions + an extra week of boosters.  When I asked my oncologist about boosters he discounted it and said it wasn't necessary or appropriate in my case.  I was surprised as the chemotherapy didn't achieve a complete response and 3 out of my 20 lymph nodes were also positive.   Oh well I guess we can only be guided by the medical professionals.

First week of radiotherapy has gone well.  It feels so easy in comparison to chemo.  No pain or side effects so far although I know it's still early days.   I'm applying pure aloe vera gel (from Holland and Barrett), waiting for it to try and then Aveeno (extra dry skin, unscented) on top.  Radiologist said it would be good to put the gel on first to soak in and then the Aveeno on top to moisturise.  So far no changes to my skin but again I appreciate that it's still early days. 

Glad to hear that your hair is growing back albeit grey and white!  It's so weird isn't it.  I can still see my scalp particularly at the back of my head but I had fine hair before diagnosis so I'm not expecting a thick crop to come back.  It's definitely not even growth.  I definitely want to dye my hair before I return to work in December if I have enough by then!  I've read that you need to be quite careful with hair dye after chemo so I think I may try an organic one stocked in Boots:  https://www.boots.com/its-pure-organic-herbal-hair-colour-natural-brown-10266480.  I don't suppose anyone has tried it or has any other recommendations for hair dye after chemo?  Don't want it to fall out when it has taken so long to start growing!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all! xx

Hi Debi

Yes, I’m having 4 weeks radiotherapy in total with booster where the lump was. As for hair I don’t understand why it’s so grey. It’s upsetting enough when it falls out but I guess I should be thankful it’s growing! Have you had any pains in your legs at all?? 

take care & I hope you get the call soon. Are you getting 3 little tattoos where the beams will go? 

Nicola x

Hi

I saw my consultant today and i will get a call in next couple of weeks for my planning app. and CT scan.  I will be having 3 weeks of radiotherapy and a week of booster sessions.  I hope they ring soon, i just want to get started.  NikNak5 are you having booster sessions? 

My hair is growing back grey/white too and i think it could be coming back curly!  I still wear my wig in public.

take care all

Debi x

Hi Debi & Bramley 

I had my CT scan yesterday & my start date for radiotherapy is 11 November & I will finish on 11 December. I’d like to start now to get it out of the way, it’s such a long process. Glad to hear your seroma has cleared up Debi & hope your first radiotherapy went well Bramley. My hair is coming through really thick which it was before but like you Bramley it is so grey, I’d go to say white in some places when before cancer/chemo I was dark brown & had never had an all over color in my life. I’m still wearing my wig in public & a woolie bobble hat indoors as my head & ears feel the cold. Keep smiling, we are getting there now x

Hi Debi

Glad the seroma has finally subsided and hopefully your BC nurse can put your mind at rest about the small hard bit.  I think we will always worry about any lump, bump etc in the future after a cancer diagnosis.  Sounds like you are doing some nice things too with aromatherapy and the look good feel better course. I was amazed how many lovely things they give you on that to take away.  Let us know when you have your dates to start radiotherapy and how many sessions you need. 

I'm doing good although feeling frustrated waiting for radiotherapy.  I actually start tomorrow and I can't wait to get going.  It will be nearly 16 weeks post chemo for me to start radiotherapy which feels like a lifetime.  I'll have 3 weeks of radiotherapy so will finish on 8th November.  I've booked a holiday to the Canaries for mid November which I'm really looking forward to.  It's been a long journey through treatment so it will be nice to finally get away to the sunshine.  My hair is still hopeless and I'm still wearing a wig in public.  It's definitely growing but oh so painfully slow and so grey!  I can't believe I was a brunette before diagnosis! 

Hope everyone else is doing ok?  xx

Hi Everyone

Haven't heard from anyone in a while, i hope you are all doing well.  I just thought i would update you all on my progress.  I have now got an appointment to see the radiotherapy consultant (Thurs 24th), my seroma under my armpit has finally subsided although there is still a small hard bit still there so i think i will see my breast care nurse so she can just check its nothing sinister. 

I went to see a nutritionist at Haven and she gave me some really good doable changes for my diet.  I have been to one of the Look good feel better sessions which was really good with all sorts of goodies to take home.  This week i have an aromatherapy appointment at the Haven centre so i am looking forward to that too.

Love to all of you

Debi

Hi NikNak5

I felt exactly the same when i came out of my meeting after surgery results, i too had clear margins and was told that all the cancer had been removed, but i still felt flat, worried and anxious that they had missed something.  I cried when i got home but it wasn't tears of joy, it was more tears for the unknown.  i am currently waiting for an appointment to see radiotherapist, i am 5 weeks post surgery.

Debi xx

Nik Nak - I can completely understand why you are feeling so flat and confused.  When you are told there are clear margins you hope that the surgeon has removed all the cancer.  A mastectomy sounds very drastic after a lumpectomy with clear margins and a happy surgeon?  I completely understand there are no guarantees with breast cancer treatment but why would they recomend a lumpectomy and then afterwards give you the choice to have a mastectomy just for total peace of mind.  Can't quite get my head around it really.   If you apply this theory, all of us having or had lumpectomy's are in the same position.  If it makes any difference I would also make the same decision as you and go for radiotherapy to kill off any rogue cells that have somehow survived chemo and surgery.  Sending you a big hug xx

Lynsey - hope you are feeling less nauseous and your appetite has returned after the Zolodex? I've not had my first one yet as I needed a tooth extraction.  Due to start at the end of October. 

Hope everyone else is doing well xx

Hi Ladies

i got my results yesterday following surgery 2.5 weeks ago. I cam out quite flat & it wasn’t how I imagined it to be. The surgeon is happy with the op & outcome good, clear margin etc. but then said a cell could of jumped the margin so to speak so radiotherapy or for total piece of mind you could opt for a mastectomy but if we do a mastectomy we will probably find nothing - it’s personal choice. Now I’m scared that I still have cancer in my breast but I’ve opted for the radiotherapy. I imagined I’d come out of that meeting tripping the light fantastic but I came out & just felt numb & cried. Anyone else feel the same?? 

Hi everyone! 

Hope you’re all doing well? 

Ive got a question regarding zoladex...has anyone else who is on it had a loss of appetite? Or nausea? 

I got my first subcut injection 2.5 weeks ago and for the past week have been feeling squeamish and not hungry. Food doesn’t taste great. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar? 

Thanks! Lynsey x

Hi Susie B and all TN ladies,

im sorry that you seem to be getting a negative response re Zoledronic Acid.

i was told that i would be having this every 6 months for the next 2 years at my first appt with my chemo dr.   This is also my second TN in 2 years so dont know if this is why im having it and also im 69....

re gene testing i had this done automatically.  Again might be age related plus the 2 doses of tnbc , but i do have bc on both sides of my family and a 39 year old daughter.

Was relieved when the result showed no BRCA genes....

do let me know the outcome .  Keep pushing.... tc  mini mad xx πŸ’–πŸ’–

ps ive finished my chemo now πŸ‘πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³

Thank you for your reply Bramley. I'll have a look at the information.

Susie B xx 

Hi Susie, just to reply to your question on gene testing, I think each NHS trust has their own criteria for approving gene testing for breast cancer.  It's worth asking what the criteria is at your hospital.  I didn't qualify on the NHS criteria but as my Mum also had breast cancer I decided to pay for the gene testing privately.  I used a US company (much cheaper than getting it tested in the UK) and I was really happy with the service I received.  I put a post under the genes and breast cancer thread with more information just in case this is something you want to pursue for your own peace of mind (you will need to scroll down a bit to get to the original post):

https://forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Genes-and-breast-cancer/Private-gene-testing-for-BRCA1-and-BRCA...

Hi TN ladies

Regarding the Zoledronic acid I asked my onc about when I started my 2nd lot of chemo after surgery. Can't remember if I mentioned here I was on a trial, chemo FEC, surgery, chemo TC, rads. At the time he just said we'll talk about that later. When I asked again prior to my 4th and final chemo about Zoledronic acid he said it wouldn't be suitable for me as I was not receiving meds for hormonal bc. At least I think that's what he meant. English is not his first language but he understands it well. My trials nurse who attends all my onc also agreed with him. I didn't challenge this at the time having already decided I would contact my bc nurse, not the trials nurse, to double check. Anyway I rang her and she passed my concerns on to the appropriate person who the rang me back. When I told her my concerns and explained that I was TNBC, she said "We don't normally give Zoledronic acid in TN cases but I'll have a word with an oncologist and get back to you." Not exactly what I was expecting to be told. Anyway I told her what I had read on both this site and the Cancer Research UK website. Upshot is I have an appointment with the female onco that I have seen a couple of times and trust on 27th Nov after rads have finished. I have been told to see my dentist before then.i am now keeping my fingers firmly crossed🀞🀞.

As for genetic testing I've not had that as there is no bc within the close or wider family. Purely out of curiosity I wouldn't mind being tested but wouldn't know how to go about it. 

Like you I had  a lumpectomy and full ANC. 9 out of 14 nodes were positive which came as a huge shock for me. 

I intend to go armed and ready when I see the onc with all the information on hand incase I am told it's hospital policy not to give the Zoledronic acid to us TN ladies. You may wish to do the same.

As you know there is not much out there for us TN ladies, but research and trials are taking place. It just seems a shame some of us have to fight to get what is available.

My biggest fear now is recurrence but when I read about people like yourself who have had a return visit of this terrible thing and getting treatment and getting through it again it gives me hope for the future.

Please let me know how you get on with your next onc appointment. I hope you get some good news regarding the radiotherapy, there's no harm in asking for a second opinion. Leave a ❀ then I'll look for your reply.

All the Best, Susie B xx 

Highlighted

Hi Louise,

I'm from the Oct'17 group and also TN. My onc told me about Zoldronic Acid and said that it helps to strengthen the bones and helps to prevent a spread there. I had Z A with every other chemo and for 3 years afterwards. I'm sure it could be beneficial to you, so definitely worth asking about. I'm also 60 (I was nearly 58 when I was diagnosed) It's a bit worrying that not all the onc's seem to be suggesting Z A, especially when we're TN and there isn't anything else that we can take after treatment finishes.

I was offered the Braca gene test, but I think I only just qualified for it as I was told it's only offered on the NHS if you're under 60, I don't know if that's correct. Good to hear that your GP is trying to get it for you x

Hi Mini Mad

Thanks for your reply.  I had Docetaxel and Charboplatin for my TN

Louise

Hi Bramley

Thanks for your reply.  I'm definitely going to follow this through with my onc.  I hope you have a great holiday,  sounds like you definitely deserve it.

Louise

Evening!

Louise - I would ask again about the Zolodronic Acid infusions.  It sounds like you tick all the boxes.  Nobody in my medical team mentioned it to me but I asked my BC nurse, consultant and Oncologist about it and each of them told me that I qualified.  I'm 51 and at the point of diagnosis for BC, I hadn't had a period for around 12 months.  I was still having plenty of hot flushes though!  I was described as peri menopausal and the chemo has probably pushed me further through the menopause.  I'm now on Anastrozole for at least 10 years as I'm now considered post menopausal.

I was due to have my first Zoldronic infusion on Weds but my week hasn't exactly gone according to plan.... Smiley Sad  I have a dental crown and unbelievably it started playing up last week.  Dentist confirmed I had an infection behind the crown and put me on antibiotics.  She tried to do a root canal on Monday to save the tooth but was unable to access the roots so just did a temporary fix.  Her advice was to remove the tooth as it couldn't be saved.  I saw my Oncologist on Weds to discuss Zoldronic Acid but he won't let me start until the tooth is out and healed.  So today I had a tooth extraction and left with a big hole in my gum.  Hopefully it will heal well and I can get started on the Zolodronic Acid soon.  I'm seeing Oncologist again in a month to review the situation.  I will have infusions every 6 months via a cannular in my hand for 3 years (originally I was told 2 years).   To add to my frustration this week, I had my radiotherapy planning appointment which went fine but then told there is a 3 week delay in getting started.  I'm not starting until 21 Oct which will be 16 weeks post chemo.  That worries me as I know they usually like to start radiotherapy within 6-12 weeks post chemo.  I've questioned it but have been told it will make no difference to my treatment plan or prognosis.  I've been feeling a bit out of sorts as I feel nothing is straight forward at the moment.  I just really want to complete treatment and get my life back.  So in order to cheer myself up I've booked a holiday for my husband and I to the Canaries in mid November after I finish radiotherapy.  It will give us both something nice to look forward to Smiley Happy 

Kelly - good to hear that you are now over half way through your chemo after the problems at the start.   It must feel good to tick each treatment off and see the end in sight. 

NikNak - hope your boob is settling down ok after surgery and all is good with your incision scars when you see your GP tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  xx

Hi Louisefpage,

im from the june chemo 2019 thread but saw your post n wanted to reply to it.

i am 69 and also have had breast cancer twice in 2 years and also TN both times.

i finished my chemo 6 weeks ago and are having the Zoledronic Acid ( already had one )

every 6 months ( next in Jan 2020 ) for the next 2 years,  for now.

was told about this on my first appt with chemo dr.

i have also had the BRCA gene test done as i have bc on both sides of my family and i have a 39 yar old daughter.   Glad to be told i dont have it πŸ‘

re radiotherapy,  i had lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed in march 2017,  all clear margins, followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions.

this time, same breast, left mastectomy and 3 level 1 ax nodes removed.  Margins all clear.

cannot have radiotherapy again as its the same left breast as before and my skin would break down.

Hope you get positive new re you having the ZA after your treatment.  What chemo did you have for your TN ?  I dont feel at all lost just relieved that its hopefully all over and i did ring that bell !!  Good luck.   mini mad xx πŸ’–πŸ’–

Hi Susie B

I was interested to read your comments re zoledronic acid as this is something I am trying to find out about.

I'm 60 and post menapausal, have breast cancer for the 2nd time and it is TN.  Thetefore I thinl it would be beneficial to me.

However my onc has never offered it or even mentioned it.  I knew nothing about it until I saw a few posts on this site.  

I am disheartened that the onc has never told me about it. If it wasnt for you lovely ladies I would be none the wiser.

It makes me wonder what else may be available that they havent mentioned to me.

My onc  also dismissed the idea of me having braca gene testing - despite my reoccurance of bc and my dad and cousin dying from cancer and my other cousin having battled cancer.  Fortunately my GP is hekping me try and get this testing.  If not I will have it done privately.

I have had a lumpectomy - it had spread to 6 out of the 9 lymph nodes they removed (just like last time).  I have just finished my 6th and last chemo session and now feel a bit lost.  I'm not sure if I will have radiotherapy or not.  Onc says not - as I had it last time, so I cant have it again.  Hiwever I have managed to persuade her to refer me to the radiotherapy consultant to see what he thinks.

Personally I want every possible treatment  so this wretched disease doesnt return again.

I have now contacted my onc about zoledronic acid - will have to wait and see what she says at my next appt (not for another 5 weeks).

Hi NikNak5

I had a lumpectomy and full ANC in June and didn't have a drain or dressings. I had internal stitches and glue was put over the surery site which dissolved over time. The ANC site had to be drained twice, the first 10 days after surgery, the second after 7 days. As for my boob, that was swollen for around 4 weeks but I think alot of that was due to the surgety. Just remember that like with everything we are all different as to how our bodies react to different treatments. Along with the exercises I also did a little massage on my surgery side. There are several video clips on YouTube. Just search lymphodeama massage and a selection of videos come up. In time your body will learn to cope without the nodes. Are you having radiotherapy next? If so that is when you'll need full movement in order to put your arms above your head and hold that position comfortably for around 15 minutes.  

My journey has been a little longer than yours as I am on a trial. 4 rounds of FEC, surgery, 4 rounds of TC., radiotherapy which is due to start on 21st Oct.

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well. Take care Susie B xx   

Hi Kelly73

I'm from the February 19 group. I'm 62 and TNBC. I've looked into Zoledronic acid as that seems to be the only extra thing available to us TN ladies. My onc said it wouldn't be suitable for me, but I have since challenged this and am seeing another onc in November after radiotherapy, who hopefully will agree that I should have it. I tick all the boxes. I have checked on the Cancer Research UK website and read the results of the trials that took place regarding the use of bisphosphonates. Their findings were that although they worked well as reducing recurrence in post menopausal women, there was little evidence that they provided extra protection in pre-menopausal women. Ther's loads of inforation on their site so it's worth having a look.

Hope this helps. You may noticed that we are not very chatty in our group now. That's because we now maintain contact on Facebook Messenger. Me and some others still pop into this site so please leave any questions or messages on the Feb group and me or someone else will get back to you.  xx

Hi Debi

just wondered how you are getting on with your seroma? I had my drain removed today after 6 days. My boob is really swollen & feels like there is fluid in it. How long does the swelling take to subside - anyone able to advise? I seem to have a good use of my arm & am doing my exercises a few times a day & even managed to hang the washing out today. Simple things & all that. No more restrictions from the bag around my neck shloshing around. 

i hope everyone is getting on ok? I’m seeing my GP Friday who will take my dressings off to check my wounds.

keep your spirits up people, we’ve got this. 

NikNak

Hiya Debi

hope you’ve managed to sort of the seroma and it’s not causing you any more problems.

I asked my Oncologists Registra today, about the Zoledronic acid. I was told I won’t need that as I am pre-menopausal. Just wondering if anyone else in my position has been told the same?

Had my 7th session today, out of 12 (weekly), so feeling happy to be past half way πŸ‘

Hope everyone is doing well x

Hi Debi

I had a lot of trouble with seroma after my mastectomy and partial lymph node clearance. Initially I needed to have a lot of fluid drained on two occasions, a small amount at a third appointment but then it almost abruptly stopped. 

Hopefully this will be the case with you too. 

Fingers crossed. 

Oots

Debi, the seroma sounds really uncomfortable.  Hope they sort it tomorrow for you and it stays away for good this time.  If it's under your arm and you have had a full ANC with your lymph nodes hopefully you won't be delayed with your radiotherapy.   I had a full ANC and my oncologist said that I would only need radiotherapy on my breast and not under my arm.  Maybe you will be the same?

Jencat - yes my oncologist said that the zoldronic acid is proving quite successful at reducing the chance of cancer recurrence in the bones.  Apparently it creates a hostile environment in the bones for cancer.  Hopefully it will both strengthen and protect our bones. x 

As you say Bramley, a couple of days of possible side effects is worth it if the Zoldronic Acid hopefully helps to protect our bones. My onc also said that in recent studies researchers had found that it also helped to protect against a recurrence. It seems to vary how many infusions people have x 

Hi Bramley

No date yet for radiotherapy.  I am suffering with a seroma under my arm, i have had it drained twice and have to go tomorrow for it doing again.  It gets really swollen and is uncomfortable.  I hope this doesn't delay my radiotherapy when i see consultant.

Hope you are all doing well.

Debi

Hi Jencat, thanks for the reassurance ref the zoldronic acid.  I am seeing my Oncologist on Tues for him to tell me about it and then having the infusion on Weds.  I haven't had my blood tested since July but maybe I will have bloods taken on Tues.  I hope I'm like you and don't get side effects but even if I do it sounds like it's worth it to hopefully protect the bones.  I think I'm going to have 4 infusions in total - once every 6 months for the next 2 years.  x

Hi Bramley, just wanted to reassure you about the Zoldronic Acid. I had it along side every other chemo and have had 4 on their own since. The chemo nurse told me that flu like symptoms can happen for a couple of days afterwards, but I haven't had any SE's. (Apart from once, but that soon after my dad died, so I wasn't feeling great when I had it) It does feel strange and a bit emotional going back to the chemo unit. Have you been told to have a blood test a couple of days beforehand, I always have to have one before I have the infusion x

Sue, that is very good news that you have finished your active treatment.  I bet you just can't believe that the only appointmnet on your calendar is now for your 6 week check up.  What a journey it's been but so happy that some are starting to come out of the other side.  Like you I was also diagnosed in February and it seems like a life time away now.

Debi - do you have your start date for radiotherapy yet?

NikNak - hope you are doing well after your surgery on Wednesday and your drain is behaving?  I assume you will get your pathology results in a few weeks?  And then on to radiotherapy for you too if all margins are clear.

The hospital called me last Thursday to offer me a cancellation for a CT radiotherapy planning appointment next Tuesday.  I'll be really happy to get started especially as I'm now nearly 13 weeks post chemo.  I'm hoping my radiotherapy sessions will start shortly after the planning appointment.   I've decided I have the slowest growing hair in the world!  I now have a light covering of mostly grey hair but still have a bald strip right accross the back.  Meanwhile eyebrows and eyelashes seem to be growing back well.  Just wish I had more on my head!  I also have my first zoldonic acid infusion next Wednesday.  Not quite sure what to expect with but it will be strange to back in the chemo suite with a canular in my hand again. 

Hope everyone else is doing well xx

Hello ladies

I have this week had my final radiotherapy and therefore finished my treatment.  To say im emotional would be an understatement.  I cried when i rang the bell and i have cried every day since at the fact that there are no more appointments until my 6 week follow up in November.   My diagnosis in February seems a lifetime ago now.  

I want to say thank u to every single lady on this forum.  (Im crying writing this!!).   I wouldnt have got through these last 7 months without your support.  The advice and support i have received from you has been invaluable.  Its so reassuring knowing im not alone and ive shared so much with u all.

I want to say good luck to each and every one of you.  None of us chose to be in this situation but we have all come together and shared our lives with each other.  I would love to meet up with u all - not sure where everyone lives and how it would work logistically? I live in Warrington (cheshire).

I will continue to read all the posts and i will continue to offer advice and support as much as i can.

Take care ladies

Love and best wishes

Sue xxx

Hi NikNak5

I had two drains in after my mastectomy and partial node clearance. I didn’t feel any real pain when they were removed; I would rather call it a sensation. They asked me to breath out as they pulled and I didn’t realised it was gone after one breath. I didn’t look! 

Oots

Hi NikNak5

I had a drain in and didn't feel a thing when the district nurse took it out, its best not to look.  I have had two lovely seroma's since my op and have had 300ml of fluid drained off at the breast care unit each time, i am now growing another and have an appointment on Monday for this one draining!

Hope everyone is doing good and has NikNak5 says we have come so far and done so well.  We are truly ladies with strength,  the journey has been rough at times but we are all getting there, keep it up - we've got this. xx

Debi

Hi Lindy56

so I had my lumpectomy & node clearance on Wednesday & all went well. Considering I’d never had surgery before it was ok & I wasn’t as scared as I thought I’d be. I came home with a drain which I’m now worried about as the district nurse has just been & she said it will hurt to remove it. Anyone else out there  thought it hurt when taken out?

any way that’s another part of the journey out of the way. Time to heal & then radiotherapy. I know it’s only Friday but I’m bored already.

Thanks Lindy56 for replying to me and for giving me the tip off about the bras on amazon x

hope everyone is ok? From April look how far we have come.

NikNak5 😊