327548posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2019 Chemo Starters 💖

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters 💖

Hi Runningsue,

I also decided not to cold cap. My first chemo was 3 weeks ago. My hair started falling out about a week ago and yes my scalp was/is sensitive. Apparently it will stay that way until all the hair falls out completely. I had mine cut super short last Friday as I was sick of handfuls lying around... That seems to help a little if you can face it. And then yes I guess paracetamol. Good luck! 

Sharon

Hi ladies

I am 2 weeks in from my first chemo.  I decided not to cool cap.  Just had a shower and loads of my hair came out.  Ive got long thick dark hair so its not noticeable yet but my scalp is sore.  Can anyone recommend anything for this or shall i just take paracetomal? Xxx

Hi, I have been managing too, despite hating the idea. It has occurred to me that pharmacists might be able to help too, they do flu jabs and are open at weekends? Quicker than a and e I think. Good luck xx, 

Good luck with puppy! I recommend gloves and long trousers, pups have sharp teeth!! And yes, make sure it's daughter out in the garden at 4am. Have fun xx

Hello ladies!

Hope everyone is well. Welcome newbies. I hope those who have had 2nd cycle are feeling as ok as can be.

Well for me, this week has been bad so far! Ended up in hospital Monday around 9pm with a high temperature, and they’ve only just let me out today. Was treated for infection although none to be seen from the bloods.

Ahh well, I’m out now, and in time for the bank holiday with my lovely OH- who bless him, has found it all really difficult. Anyone else’s partner’s feeling a little lost in terms of diagnosis? He helps all the time, but we are only 25, and it’s just such a big blip in our lives.

Thank you Susan, for some reason they didn't offer that to me (I am at the Royal Free in London). My GP is pretty much next door, if I am struggling I may pop round there and may have to go to A and E if I can't manage it by myself on Saturday (but I am hoping I will!!! ) Hope your treatment goes well xx

I think it depends on the chemo drugs you are getting, I don't think everyone does it (and I only found out yesterday at the end of my chemo Smiley Sad  ) xxx

I am moving on to Paclitaxel which is apparently less toxic and does not require injections ! Hurrah 

Hi ladies,

Welcome to the newbies! I am super jealous of you on your last FEC. Will you move to the T now? I'm having 6 doses of FEC. Does anyone understand the difference (besides the obvious!)?

ON another note, we are getting a puppy this weekend. I think I am bonkers but it's my daughter's birthday present... she's 15 so should be able to do most of the care herself! Wish me luck! lol...

Sharon 

Hi

I'm due to start chemo next month.  Just been reading the last few posts.  Needles??  Inject yourselves!???!

Is this standard for everyone?  Do we all have to do this, or does it depend on individual situations?

I’m just heading to my second cycle now, waiting for the tube and not looking forward to cramming in during rush hour!

Got my bag of goodies and distractions with me and just want to get this over with. I’m having weekly chemo but this is my double whammy of drugs and feeling anxious knowing how sick it made me feel before. Fingers crossed the new anti sickness drugs work. 

Good luck with your last FEC today, what do you have after that? 

X

@steffih wrote:

Hi, my name is Steffi and I have had my first chemotherapy session yesterday (so officially still an April starter Smiley Happy ) It went really well, I had a port put in before and was amazed at how little I could feel and yesterday I felt a bit spaced out and this morning a tiny bit wobbly perhaps but not too bad, up and about. The only thing that really worries me is that they sent me home with some injections to give myself. She said to put them in the fatty bit in my tummy. First of all I am quite thin, so there isn't that ,much fat there and also she said get someone else to give them to you, but my partner is away this weekend when I am meant to start (and to be honest he didn't look best pleased at the thought). I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do this painlessly. I have that cream for the port, maybe I could apply that before or an ice pack? How are any of you finding the injections?? xxx

Hi if you do not want to do it ask for the district nurses to come round . That should be an option I am about to have my third chemo and last FEC thank heavens but have had nurses every time 

Thank you, Kelly, that's good to hear you have trouble with needles too but managed to do it, and I like your tips. It's probably best not to overthink it and just do it!! I will keep you posted how I get on on Saturday, I hope you are doing ok xxx

Thank you so much, Oots, that is really helpful...I may go see my GP before the weekend and see what they say. I didn't sleep that much last night either, but I guess that's the steroids and at the moment I feel well enough to get some work in, so will make the most of it... I like the sound of Billy. We have 2 cats and they were quite happy to get fed earlier this morning xxxSteffi

Hiya Steffi

welcome to the group.

I am a real wimp when it comes to needles, but have to say it’s been ok doing my own injections. The first time was the hardest, as it’s just not a natural thing to do. Just grab some flesh and quickly push the needle in. I counted down from 5...it helped haha. The needle is really fine so it doesn’t hurt. Just remember to pinch the skin where you grab it, this takes your mind off the needle going in. Once the needle is in and your pushing the injection in, gradually stop squeezing or a bit will drip out of your tummy at the end 

If you really can’t do it, then I was told a district nurse could come and do it

good luck x

Hi Steffi

Great to see another starter. I had been cruising this forum for a while but finally plucked up the courage to join a couple of days ago just before my second chemo. I was up and about at 5 this morning. Billy, the rabbit was not as happy to see me as I expected. He was still too tired for his breakfast. A rabbit’s life must be hard. I wonder what he has been up to last night. I had about 4 hours of sound sleep. Not a lot but I know that will get better once I’m off the steroids. Also feeling a bit fragile but otherwise full of beans as usual. I know in the course of today this will probably change so I am making the most of it. 

I had my injection into the tummy. A nurse showed us how to do it and it is easy. Pinched the tummy to pick a bit of fat (to be fair, there’s no shortage of that on me) and inject. The needle was very thin and it didn’t hurt except a little prick. Bit less than when having blood taken, I thought. I wonder whether you can call your GP and ask for support from a district nurse until you feel able to do it yourself? Or maybe your GP surgery is open on Saturday and you can go there if you are up for the journey there? Don’t underestimate the fatigue that mind come through. That’s pretty special when it happens and can make trivial things tricky. 

I hope you continue to feel OK otherwise.

Oots

April 2019 Chemo Starters 💖

Hi, my name is Steffi and I have had my first chemotherapy session yesterday (so officially still an April starter Smiley Happy ) It went really well, I had a port put in before and was amazed at how little I could feel and yesterday I felt a bit spaced out and this morning a tiny bit wobbly perhaps but not too bad, up and about. The only thing that really worries me is that they sent me home with some injections to give myself. She said to put them in the fatty bit in my tummy. First of all I am quite thin, so there isn't that ,much fat there and also she said get someone else to give them to you, but my partner is away this weekend when I am meant to start (and to be honest he didn't look best pleased at the thought). I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do this painlessly. I have that cream for the port, maybe I could apply that before or an ice pack? How are any of you finding the injections?? xxx

Hi Debi

I am home too. Hair defrosted, rinsed and slept on.

I am quite tired probably due to the dose of piriton in the pre chemo infusion. Tingling on the tongue suggests that the taste is changing. Otherwise I am fine.

My blood test showed that one of my liver enzymes is a bit higher after the first chemo. Nothing to stop the chemo today but I’ll have an ultrasound on Friday. Hopefully nothing to worry about. 

Hoping your day tomorrow is not so grim! And you are very right. Another one crossed off the list....let the chemicals do their worst against these cancer cells!

Oots

Hi All

Just got home from chemo number 2.  Feel ok at moment, it will probably be tomorrow when the sickness and fatigue starts.  Hopefully this time i will be less panicky then i was after my 1st.  Best wishes to everyone who is having chemo this month - just remember it one step forward to finishing treatment and smashing this thing.  Take care.

Debi💖

What a lovely thing that your friend makes the knitted boobies, i am sure someone will love them. xx

Hiya All

a friend of mine kindly knitted me some ‘knitted knockers’. She did a couple of sizes as I wasn’t 100% which size would be best. Anyway, due to this, I have 2 in cup size b if anyone would like them for free. They have not been used. I will happily post them to anyone in UK

thanks

Welcome Oots   hello everyone   Oots strange that you loved the taste of ketchup - my taste went completely for a few days but i loved anything with fresh tomato.  For me today was blood test, tomorrow clinic and Thurs is chemo day.  very worried about what will be suggested for cycle 2 as i had reactions to two drugs on round 1, so approaching cycle 2 with trepidation to be honest.  Never had any nausea, no sickness so that was a blessing but did suffer with an incredibly sore nostril - just the  one-- and a drippy nose for a few days.  Tight bad headache on waking for three or four days, so next round i shall be drinking more water to see if that eases.  Back of my hand is like one big dark itchy bruise so i shall be asking about that tomorrow,    Wishing you all a good round 2 whenever it starts.     Alice

Hi Oots

My 2nd round is tomorrow too.  Unlike you i am a born worrier and get anxious over the slightest thing.  I think i am more nervous for my second round than i was for my first - i think i am thinking it was worse than it was.  Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, i will check in with you in the evening. I have yet to have surgery - this is to be scheduled for after my 6 rounds of chemo.

Debi 💖

Hi all

I am having my second (out of 4) round of TC tomorrow. I had a mastectomy of the left breast on the 1st February and the chemo started on the 9th April. Last time I was a lot more anxious because I didn’t know what to expect. I am very lucky because I had a port fitted. It’s under the skin and required no maintenance and is essentially pain free when blood is taken or infusions are hooked up. No veins were harmed in the process. Straight after the chemo I felt great (well, I was on steroids so perhaps not too surprising). Then I got the growth factor injection the next day and I don’t know whether it was coincidence, but the pains started setting in that afternoon. And it for worse every day for 3 days and then got batter again. In combination with the fatigue I felt as if I had done a few rounds in the ring with Mike Tyson. But on the positive side, I only had a little bit of indigestion and was never sick so that worked well and I had no mouth ulcers (did a LOT of rinsing the mouth). I got a bit of oral thrush in week 2 but within a couple of days of treatment with an anti fungal that went.

Week 2 got better every day and in week 3 I was very well. Able to do normal things and going for walks. Today I am savouring because I won’t be that well for a few days but, hey, it will pass.

I read a lot about anxiety around infections. I’m lucky, I don’t worry too much but I do check my temperature when I have a headache or sneeze a lot. If it’s normal, I don’t worry.

One thing I had was a very dry mouth in the first week. I now use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. I find them really helpful. 

My taste buds went crazy on the first day (didn’t realise apples could be so revolting while cauliflower was suddenly delicious). I developed a real passion for tomato ketchup; what’s all that about? This improved slowly and in week three my taste is almost back to normal. So there is hope.....

The hair is still on, probably because of the cold cap. Even Billy the rabbit is shedding more than I do; in fairness he is moulting! My head is quite big and fitted very snugly in the large size cap. I had my hair cut short and enjoy the concept of not doing much to it. Minimal handling when washing and minimal drying if any. However, the grey (I’m 55) is now showing since I am no longer getting it coloured. A great opportunity to explore how I will look in grey. However, the pubes are on their way out and so is the nose hair (TMI). Everything else is staying put for now. I decided against a wig. I’ll have scarfs and bandanas if it becomes necessary down the line.

Another recommendation I have are ‘knitted knockers’. It is a charity where volunteers knit inserts for bras in required sizes and colours. I think the are great because they are much more fun than the flesh colour inserts. They can be easily found online.

I am new to this forum and reading all the posts is so very helpful. It’s great to share good and bad. It seems there are so many variations of treatments these days and I am massively encouraged by the progress that was made to successfully treat breast cancer in particular. In a way, it’s good to know treatment is under way no matter how unpleasant and worrying it is at times. I feel very lucky my cancer was discovered because I could still be sitting here not knowing and not having treatment.

Over and out; getting ready for the next round tomorrow.

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters ?

Wash all salads, fruit, veg too 😘😘

Hi everyone

Had a great day at the wedding, was really tired when it got to the evening so went to our room around 9ish - couldn't manage to boogie any more and i did get a bit paranoid about germs and infection after being around so many people all day and evening.  2nd cycle of chemo starting Tuesday, which i can say i am not looking forward to but it has to be done.

Zoetwinmum - sorry to hear you have been in hospital.  With the antibiotics you will soon start to feel better.  I was given a sheet in what foods to avoid, on there is cream cheeses, eggs, pasteurised milk, to boil tap water and to avoid bottled water and mayonnaise.  I can't think of the others offhand but will have a look tomorrow.  

Interestingtimes - good on you for going in to work.  Don't think i will be ready to return to work for a while, doctor advised against it.  In contact with too many children and adults every day.

Pollensa - My temp is usually around 37 - 37.4.  I am taking my thermometer to the hospital to see if it reads the same as one of theirs.

Hannahlizzy21 - Hope you are feeling better soon.

Runningsue - I was given a mouthwash to start day 1 after 1st cycle of chemo.  It says to use it 4 times a day but i just use it on an evening before bed.  It's kept mouth ulcers at bay so far, I also use Armstrongs toothpaste which contains bicarbonate of soda which i have heard is supposed to help too.

Well after my lovely but tiring weekend i will say goodnight.  Take care everyone. 💖

Debi x

That's brilliant Zoe. Your girls will be so happy!

As for food to avoid, im just staying away from soft cheese and prawns! What else were you told ?

Hope we all get a good night's sleep.

Px

Thank you for all the kind messages. Manages to get the doctor agree to let me come home so I can be here tonight to settle girls before school tomorrow. Wow what a strange thing being told your febrile neutropenia is so low. Count is now 0.38 and on 5 more days of antibiotics. Has anyone been told about what foods to avoid in the second week. Its amazing, you shouldn't even have a sandwich lol

Keep strong ❤ xx

Oh bless you Zoe! I hope they let you out soon. 

They are so quick in sorting people out though aren’t they? Before you’ve even said ‘I’m not feeling too good’ you’re off and in hospital being treated!

It’s day 6 of 2nd cycle for me. And Friday/ Saturday I felt soooo unwell. I’m not one to stay in bed, but yesterday I physically couldn’t move. Felt so sorry for OH, as it’s his weekend too. He just waited on me hand and foot. But today I’m feeling lots better and counting my blessings that I’m being made better, even when the side effects can be so rotten!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Running sue, please watch that low temp, if your temp is under 35 you need to ring your unit too. It will help if you keep diaries on your temps during the 3 week cycles, you can refer back to them as the cycles pass and cross check. Your days 7-14 are when you are nadir and at your lowest neutrophils wise. Zoe casa nhs or casa private is the best place for you, sorry you are having a stay, I had 6 days in after my first one, but onc gave me 80% dose for remainder of chemos and I got through ok after that, drink lots of water while you are in and if you get thrush mouth anyone, get them to give you fluconzole not fob you off with drops 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

That's rotten, Zoe. But they wont let you out until they are sure youre ok. I know it's a cliche but you're in the best place at the moment.

I didn't realise how dodgy I'd been feeling all week until I woke up this morning and felt so much better.  I guess it's true, the first week is the worst.

Because I'd been taking my temp so often the readings were quite often very high. Cue panic and phone call to helpline..... Where a very nice, kind man suggested very tactfully and diplomatically  that maybe I wasn't using the thermometer in quite the right way. Who doesnt know how to use a thermometer?? Well, me obviously!!!! Since then, no high readings and no panic. Still mortified though....

Off to enjoy my one glass of wine I allow myself and watch BGT!

Oh no Zoe!

Sending big hugs to you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

To everyone else, hope you are having an excellent weekend, that the nausea is wearing off and weddings etc were awesome! If it's any consolation, my first week of chemo I thought "I can't do this!" but the yucky feeling doesn't last for the whole cycle. In fact when I went back to work this last week, everyone commented on how well I looked! Having said that, I think I got of slightly with side effects (touch wood!) - just nausea, headaches and gastro issues!

Wishing all of you starting your next cycle of chemo again this week good luck and healing vibes!

Sharon

Well like a bolt of lightening I was admitted to hospital last night..... feeling fab after a rough start and routine bloods meant a urgent admittance due to febrile neutropenia. On IV antibiotics and after a 3rd blood test its started to rise. It's all a waiting game as to when I can go home.

Hi all

How is everyone getting on so far?

I had my first chemo on 16 april.  I had sickness the morning after and nausea for about a week.  Ive had ulcers in my mouth for a few days now.  How is everyone finding their temperature? Im checking mine about 3 times a day and at first it was ok but the last 2 days its either just under 35 or over 37.  Not sure if this is normal or i need to get my bloods checked? 

Hi

The nausea has not been bad, but the pain in my back and neck last couple of days has been so painful. Husband been out today for mattress topper for me to sit on on my recliner as couldn’t get comfy. Have held of taking the oramorph I have, topping my normal pain killers with paracetamol but take my temperature regularly. Just want to sleep only getting about 4 hours a night and can’t sleep through day. 

Hope everyone else is coping ok, one down five to go.

I got asked if I had a thermometer at home but was given no guidance on frequency of monitoring!

I've only checked my temp a couple of times, but it was just a hot flush!

Ive had post op sepsis earlier in the year, so I've already got a good reference point as to when to worry! 

Hi Louise, 

They give steroids to reduce chemo related nausea. 

However they can cause stomach irritation but if so you can get medication to counterbalance this. 

Also they recommend you don't take them any later than 2pm to reduce sleep disturbance.

I chose to reduce them as the first cycle causes stomach irritation, I only took half the dose first time and have reduced them this time on the day of 2nd chemo. As I've had no nausea or sickness at all I've been told it's up to me if I take them or not, so I'm not taking any more.

Hi Hannahlizzy

I’m having my treatment at Bolton and they’ve been brilliant too. I think it comes under the umbrella of the Christe as I have to ring the Christie hotline if I have any issues. I’m having chemo and surgery at Bolton and radiotherapy at Salford I think. I’m going there in 2 weeks for the look good feel better programme, have you done that? X

I also have carried on my anti sickness, but they don’t seem to be doing anything today! Also, got it from the other end now too. This bloody chemo business, it’s awful at times. But tomorrow is a new day...

Mandy, I’m not far from you. I’m in Manchester, so I just wondered where you are having your treatment? I’m having mine at The Christie and they are amazing x

Hi Debi,

i start my 2nd cycle on Wednesday and I’m not looking forward to it now I know what to expect. Although I did better than I expected I just found the fatigue and nausea really difficult. On a positive note I noticed yesterday that my tumour feels smaller so it seems like it’s working already 😀. 

Like you I also worry about infection, I take my temperature at least three times a day. I’m hoping this will wear off the further into chemo we go. 

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? I’m from Keighley originally but now live in Bolton. 

Hope you have have a good day and the sun is still shining. X

Hi Louise   I've got steroids to take day before next chemo session, then IV steroids with the docetaxol, then oral steroids for day after.   It's not called a steriod high for nothing - basically you can't switch off to sleep .  Hope all goes well for you.  Information on here is wonderful, so good to know you are not alone.   Wishing you well.  the staff on chemo suite are very knowledgeable, ask about anything there as well.   Good luck    Alice

Hiya Hannahlizzy

I felt nauseas for about 7 days on my first round, so they’ve given me 7 days worth of antisickness this time round. I’m feeling so much better. 

I was actually sick the same day on round1, so they’ve changed the meds and on day 4 now, I’ve not been sick

hope you’re feeling better soon

Dear Posters   sorry so fuzzy brained, read through the posts but now can't recall who is doing what haha.  Wishing you a lovely day at the wedding.  I managed my grandson's first birthday for a cuddle and cake and that has been the highlight of my cycle - the rest is pretty rubbish.  I was taking my temp quite often in days 2 to 15 - kept almost hitting 37.5 , so felt strong need to check , now down to 36.8 so more confident all is ok.  worst for me is the chemo brain, feeling stronger physically but mentally feeling fragile and having great trouble concentrating.  Drove car this a/.m (supervised)  did grocery shopping, and now feel generally frazzled.  Next week its blood test Monday, pre chemo clinic /tues then here we go again on Thurs.  Had hoped for more good days and finding it daunting that cycle 2 is just round the corner.  

Has anyone else got a sore rash?  Back of my hand, red, bruised and itchy.  I so want to think about something else than side effects.  Sorry peeps feeling just a tinsy but sorry for myself .   Any way happy wedding tomorrow Debi    

Alice

Still waiting for my chemo start date, so am reading all your posts with interest. Notice some of you take steroids, and some of you are having sleep related side effects fue to that.  Would be interested to hear more please.  Thank you.  Louise

Hannahlizzy and Debi,

Please don't copy me, im just a bit OTT with it all! Mind you, only taken temp once today......

Debi, have a lovely time at the weddding. 

Hannah, so sorry youre feeling rotten. Stay horizontal until you feel better!

Pollensa

Gosh I rarely take my temperature at all! Not unless I’m feeling warm anyway... I’d say all in all since starting chemo I’ve taken my temp around 5 times. Maybe I should be doing it more! 

You will have a lovely time at your niece’s wedding tomorrow I’m sure. Hopefully the weather is nice. Just think, once you’re done with 2nd chemo, you will either be a third or half way there, depending on how many cycles of chemo you are having! 

I’m having a bad day today. Got a feeling of constant nausea, and can’t stand up for very long without feeling sick/ light headed. Will just continue to monitor this, as I did only have my 2nd chemo 4 days ago, and I’ve stopped steroids now. So I think I’m on a come down!

Good for you Hannahlizzy21, i think i would have been too zonked to go, so good on you👏.

Pollensa - i only take my temp once a day -  should i be doing it more often?

Tomorrow my niece gets married, we are staying over at the hotel so i am looking forward to that, then its back to blood tests Monday and 2nd lot of chemo Tuesday.

Debi💖

So completely understand! Last thing you want is to end up in hospital with a nasty infection.!

Mind you, I really must stop taking my temp. every hour on the hour.......!!!!! Then again, it is quite reassuring....😊

My side effect of the day is spots. Haven't had that since I was 15. Thank goodness for makeup!

I completely get it Debi!

I had my 2nd cycle on Monday, and my parents had bought me tickets before my diagnosis for Dirty Dancing the Musical on Tuesday. I went to the show (pretty spaced out), but I took surgical masks with me for when it was on. There is no way I would’ve allowed myself to breathe the same air as all those people without protection haha. Touch wood- so far, so good. No infections or anything, and although I got strange looks by some people, I just thought ‘well I’m saving myself here’, and my mum and nana who came with me were very encouraging of me wearing them! 

Its too risky!

Good morning everyone.  I hope you are all coping with any side effects.  Here in Yorkshire the sun is out.  I am just on my way to see my consultant before i start my 2nd cycle on Tuesday.  Anyone else having treatment next week? 

Does anyone worry constantly about infection?  I never used to notice how many people sneeze and cough around and about but now i am paranoid and find myself holding my breath or turning around and steering clear of them!

I have just spoken to my breastcare nurse and she referred me there and then to the wig lady and my appointment is 16th May.  They haven't mentioned a charge, i will update when i have had my appointment.