327724posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Hi Debi

That is fantastic news!! So pleased to hear your lump has shrunk - i bet that is a huge relief for you and i think that means a glass of wine to celebrate? Good luck with.your treatment on tuesday - u are over halfway now.  Will you have your op after your chemo? Glad it is all going well for you.

Sue xxx

Hi everyone

Back from consultant app. lump is now 1cm πŸ‘.  Next treatment on Tuesday number 5 of 7.  Just wanted to pop on and tell you.

Hope you are all coping with side effects and having the best day you can.

Stay strong.

Debi

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad as well Bramley x My dad was 5 weeks from diagnosis to death too, which I know for my dad, was how he'd want it, but for us it was such a shock. He was still active and living by himself until he had a fall and taken into hospital and that was when the cancer was discovered-lung and bones.

My hair was thick before chemo, but I'm pleased it's still that way! It doesn't seem possible that this time last year I hardly had any and was wearing a wig.

I'm surprised that you weren't eligible for the gene testing as your mum had bc (glad she's doing so well) and I think you said other relatives had died of cancer. I was able to be tested on the NHS, but perhaps it was because I'm TN. Fortunately it came back negative-I was worried as I have 2 daughters xxx

|Hi All

Just to let you know that I've recently paid for private gene testing for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 hereditary genes associated with breast cancer. I didn't qualify for gene testing on the NHS but my Mum also had breast cancer 12 years ago at age 63.  Thankfully she hasn't looked back since, is now 75 and living a healthy and full life.

I've put more info about my experience of paying for private gene testing on the Genes and Breast Cancer forum (through the home page) of this website as I thought it would be more appropriate there:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Genes-and-breast-cancer/bd-p/Genesbreastcancer

Wanted to flag it up in case it may help anyone else is in a similar position considering gene testing.

Evening All

What a gorgeous sunny day to help lift our moods Smiley Happy  Makes such a difference and hopefully it will continue over the weekend.

Jencat - so sorry to hear about your dad and giving up your job.  I lost my own Dad to pancreatic cancer 2 years ago in the most shocking way (5 weeks from diagnosis to death) and I miss him desperately.  Nice to hear your hair has come back really well and thick. I am so looking forward to that but think it could take quite a while at the rate it's going!  Just as well I like my wig Smiley Happy

Christine - congratuations on finishing the weekly chemo and hope your blood transfusion goes

well tomorrow. Onwards and upwards to the FEC cycles now and getting to the end of chemo.

Debi - I've been thinking of you this week with your MRI and hopefully positive results tomorrow xx

Hoping everyone else is doing ok xxx

Christine18, I hope you manage to get some sleep, it's not helped either as it's so warm at night at the moment and hope your blood transfusion goes ok tomorrow. When you have FEC, you might find it worth trying travel sickness bands-I wore them whilst I had chemo and for a few days afterwards and I wasn't sick at all.

Thank you for your kind words x Dad was 91, but very active and I miss him terribly, but grateful that he saw me finish treatment. It's strange not going to work. I worked in a school, so I'll probably still do some volunteering work there after the Summer holidays xx

Thank you Sue Smiley Happy It's no trouble, I was glad of other's helping me when I was having chemo. I didn't realise that I would find Docataxel so tough, so it was a relief to find that chemo's 5 and 6 were a lot easier to cope with xxx

Sorry LynsH, I misspelt your name, I should have had my glasses on! Smiley Happy x

Hi everyone,

I had my last weekly chemo session (paclitaxel) today!! One more milestone! FEC to be started in two weeks.

My haemoglobin has been slowly dropping throughout the whole regime though so they’ve said I need a blood transfusion. I have to have 2 units of blood tomorrow. It’s going to be a struggle as I only had Chemo today and the steroids aren’t letting me sleep! 

Has anyone else had a blood transfusion or been warned with one? Thankfully this week my white cell count is back up so no longer neutropenic. 

Its so so nice to hear success stories from previous groups. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad though and giving up work. You sound so strong though and it’s inspiring so thank you! X

Thank you Lynne, it was no trouble and I'm happy to help if I can. It's good that the end of treatment is in sight and I hope you will feel much better with your next chemo xxx 

Hi Bramley,

Thank you so much for your lovely message, that's so kind. It's no trouble at all coming on here, I know how glad I was of the forum myself when I was having chemo.

My life had started to return to some normality and I returned to work last September. Unfortunately my Dad was taken ill in February and died in March and that has affected me and I've now decided to retire from work. On a positive note, Dad knew that I was moving forward after the treatment and he could see that I was looking well.

My hair has grown back really thick and the 'chemo curl' is beginning to go! A friend I saw this evening who I hadn't seen for a while, thought it was still my wig! Smiley Happy xxx

Pollensa - hope your Nurse Practitioner appointment tomorrow is helpful and she can put your mind at rest with a plan for the next round of chemo.  Sorry to hear you are still feeling so poorly.  Hope you turn the corner tomorrow x

Liz - glad you have had a positive experience with your new Oncologist and have a plan for round 5 with Docetaxel.  Hopefully the reduction in the dose of Docetaxel will help.  When people comment on how I'm looking so well, I just thank them but also say something like "thank you that's really kind.  Today is a pretty good day and I'm feeling really well but unfortunately every day isn't like that on chemo.  On some days I feel pretty poorly as its a pretty long and gruelling treatment to go through".  I just like them to be aware that I'm not always feeling well or going to be the usual cheerful, smiley person they know and expect to see.  Not sure if that helps?   

Take care xx

I'm seeing the nurse practitioner tomorrow and going to ask about next cycle of docataxel.  Because of new drugs I might'nt have the same pain but this is my third day in bed and I still feel dreadful. Not even sure if I'll manage to hospital!

And on another topic ... What do you say when you're told "you're looking very well" , "you look great, you'll be fine!" Or the worst "you wouldnt think there was anything wrong with you"

I know I should just grit my teeth and say thank you but when you're feeling like death warmed over it's not always easy!

And to lower the tone completely......these Laxido sachets work a treat!

Pollensa x

Hello Jencat

I would also like to say thank you for popping over and reassuring us about docataxel.  Its so daunting going into each cycle wondering how long we will feel these side effects for.   Its nice to hear that you have completed your treatment and i hope u have made a full recovery. 

Sue xxx

Hi everyone 

Met new oncologist yesterday, such a different experience - very positive

They are reducing my docetaxol dose by 40% due to the level of side effects I've had. If I get a similar level on cycle 5 ,then they will stop the chemo at that point.

If I get less less side effects that are manageable then they'll keep the lower dose for cycle 6.

So ill just wait and see what Friday brings. 

Hope you are all starting to recover OK. 

Thank you for popping over from October’s board. I can’t  tell you how reassuring this is to hear. I really am hoping I’ll be better with the next 2. The end is in sight! 

I hope you are keeping well following treatment. So nice to hear others experiences post treatment and the amazing progress they’ve made. πŸ’— thanks again. 

Hi Jencat

Thank you so much for popping onto our thread with some reassurance ref Docetaxel.  I thought I was going mad to be feeling so well after round 5. It's the best I've felt since starting chemo but I started worrying they had given me the wrong drug or a half dose!  I'm a pretty positive and proactive person and I know I'm doing everything possible to keep myself fit, active and well during chemo but this time I was thinking it was just too good to be true Smiley Happy   Hoping the taste bud thing will improve a few weeks after chemo round 6 next week.  I also hope that it will be a similar positive experience for some of the ladies currently struggling with the Docetaxel side effects after round 4. 

I hope you are doing well after your treatment in October in 2017 and your life has returned to some sort of normality?  It's reassuring to read the threads of those on the months and years before us moving on with their lives after treatment.  It is a horrible disease that affects so many. It also takes strength to share the experience of this journey with others by posting on this forum, so thank you for taking the time to reply xxx

Morning Bramley and Sue,

I'm from the Oct'17 group. Just wanted to say/reassure you that I found the first session of T the worst, maybe your body has to take time to adjust to a different drug? Chemo 5 and 6 were definitely easier. Sorry to hear about your lack of taste buds, it's horrible when you can barely taste anything Smiley Sad

Sue, πŸ˜‚ yeah everyday there is something different!! I think if you didn’t laugh you would cry!! 

I actually pushed myself to go a walk today and it boosted my energy. Came back and cut the back grass. Felt like I’d achieved something even if it was something small. Baby steps I guess! 

Hope everyone picks up as the week goes on. 

Lynsey 

Evening ladies

Just catching up on the thread.  So sorry so many of you are feeling so poorly with side effects on Docetaxel. Smiley Sad  Each day is one step closer to the end of chemo and just imagine what it is doing to the cancer cells with any luck!   I'm just wondering if I had the right drug this time as I cannot explain why I have been much better after round 5 than round 4.  But then my taste buds are just as bad as round 4 so I definitely know it's Docetaxel!  I haven't had any joint/muscle aches or flu type symptoms this time and I'm nearing the end of the 2nd week post chemo so I'm hoping I'm in safe territory.  It will be interesting to hear if any of you feel less side effects with Docetaxel after round 5 than round 4. 

Kelly - sorry to hear that your treatment is being delayed.  I hope that you will be able to get back on track once they are happy with your heart. 

I'm doing fine.  Just trying to keep well and do the right things so that I can have my last chemo as scheduled on 3rd July.  I have my Son's University graduation to attend on 14th July (2 weeks post chemo 6) and I just have to be there.  It was my focus and goal right at the outset of chemo to try to get through all 6 chemo rounds on time so that I could be there.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

I think I have lost most of my eye lashes now and by the evenings my eyes feel quite gritty and vision gets blurry.  Amazing how you take your eyelashes for granted!  I bought a pair of false eye lashes (Eyelure ones from Asda) but I tried them on today and decided I looked like a drag queen!  they are just too much on me so just going to have to wait for my own to return.  Nothing exciting happening on the hair front so far unfortunately after chemo 5.  I think I have 4 new dark hairs sprouting on the top of my head amongst the very fine white fuzz but have to look very closely to see them.  I think it's going to be a long journey to get any real hair growth.  I'm still washing and conditioning my scalp every day though in the hope it will increase blood flow to the scalp and stimulate some growth.  Scalp feels lovely and still blemish free Smiley Happy

Sending positive thoughts to you all.  Stay strong ladies, we are getting there xxx  . 

Hello lynsey

Yes ive only had one docataxel so far and ive got another 2 to go.  I dont remember feeling this "drained" after the EC!!  I totally agree that you get so many different side effects - i tell my family that "todays specials are" and tell them what i have today - it just brings a little bit of humour to what is a totally awful situation 

Take care

Sue xxx

Pollensa, 

i might ask about that too! The pain in joints is just horrendous. Although couldn’t work out if it was the docetaxel or fibgrastim jags as both have very similar side effects. 

My whole mouth feels bad, gums swollen and sore and no taste. I started using difflam today (I noticed a few of you had commented that this was helpful). Feels slightly better pain wise but still no taste. Eating cause I need to but definitely no enjoyment. I wonder how long after the docetaxel ends will our taste buds reappear?! 

Lynsey 

Evenin' all,

Still feeling dreadful thanks to docataxel , sore limbs, very fluey and no energy. However, phoned the unit today and they have given me gabapentin, which apparently helps with pain. I've started it today for 7 days and then if I take it for the next round I might'nt be so sore.

I really don't want to go through this again. They tell you docataxel is harsh but I bet few of us realised just how wicked it Is!

Pollensa x

Hi Everyone

I have had one session of docetaxol (no.4) and suffered with aching bones, neck ache and taste buds defunct.  I also have Herceptin and Pertuzumab because i am HER2 positive.  I had a heart scan before my No. 4 treatment which showed normal function, the consultant said i wouldn't have another for about 4 month!  how will they know if the treatment is affecting my heart?  I think i may need to ask my consultant on Friday because i am due to have my next session ( no.5) on Tuesday.

Debi

Sue, I might ask at my next appt. although like you, probably best for the 3 weeks infusions rather than weekly but if it’s a bit easier to handle I would prefer that. Just feel blooming awful on this. Get over one thing and another side effect starts! Kids stop from school on Thursday this week so really hoping I’ll feel better when they’re off. No hiding in my bed while they’re at school!  

How many have you still to go? Was number 4 your β€˜ loading dose’ and did you need to do the daily injections of filgrastim? 

Thanks

lynsey 

Hiya Christine

thank you for your reply. I’ll also be having it weekly, for 12 sessions. Glad to hear you’re still able to do normal nice things...fingers crossed, I will too. 

Its good to see that they are doing clinical trials, to address the heart issues, hopefully they’ll be able to prevent it happening to patients in the very near future. x

Hello LynsH

I was chatting to a friend today who started on docataxel and had the same side effects as we are and she got changed to paclitaxel as its a bit thinner and not as toxic.  She has had mild pain and heartburn on the paclitaxel but none of the nausea and hot sweats ive had. My oncologist said she may change me depending on how i react and im meeting her next week so we will discuss it there.  I prefer to be on the 3 weekly dose rather than weekly but if it gets rid of these side effects then im happy to change.

Take care

Sue xxx

Hi Runningsue42, 

it must just be the way the docetaxel works in that case. Just desperate the get the last 2 done with and feel human again. It’s the first time I have really struggled to manage for myself during the whole treatment process and feel awful needing to rely on other people. 

I hope you all feel better soon. I just can’t wait to taste food again!! I normally love eating and food and actually dreading it now as it gives no flavour. Hoping this will improve very soon.

Lynsey

Hi Kelly,

Im sorry to hear you are having problems with your heart. It’s such a catch22 between your cardiologist and oncologist but you’ve got to trust their judgement. I’m on two clinical trials, one of which is with cardiology to try and prevent issues with chemotherapy. I know it won’t help you too much but it’s nice to know they see it as a problem and are doing research to try and prevent future cases. 

I have been on paclitaxel and had 11 weekly sessions. One more to go tomorrow and then I’m on to FEC (after a little Chemo holiday so I can be a bridesmaid!). I have found the paclitaxel absolutely fine. A lot more tired but no nausea at all. I get neck ache plus some headaches and that’s about it. I’ve been on hen dos, golfing, walking, beer garden etc. I haven’t been able to work and I have had my bad days but I think that is related to the carboplatin I have every three weeks not the paclitaxel. Of course everyone is different but I hope you experience the same as I have. Also, I have my MRI on Friday but from external measurements my tumour has shrunk from roughly 3cm to less than a cm so it does the trick too. 

I really hope you get everything sorted and back on track. Wishing you well x

Hiya All

hope your treatments are going as well as can be.

Well I’m still on a slight break from chemo, due to heart issues. It appears the chemo has weakened it. I’m on medication to try to strengthen my heart.

I was meant to be going into Docetaxel every 3 weeks, but if all ok with my heart CT, I’ll be starting Paclitaxel. Is anyone else on that treatment please?

my Cardiologist said going on heart medication and discontinuing with chemo, should strengthen my heart, but obviously my Oncologist said I need to get back on chemo, to stop cancer coming back, as it was in my nodes x

Hello LynsH

Yes im the same.  I had 3 EC and i had my first docetaxel a week ago and ive got zero energy.  I picked up after about a week on each EC but im so tired since starting docataxel.  Going to try and meet my friend for lunch just to get out of the house for an hour or so.  I did wonder if anyone has tried energy bars and if they helped at all?

Hi ladies, first time posting in here. 

Like a a lot of you I’ve had my first docetaxel and struggling with side effects still. I was fine on EC, (a few days of feeling rubbish then back to normality) but with docetaxel I have been floored. I’m on day 11 and now loaded with a cold, still getting pains in joints and generally just no energy. On EC, I managed to get out running and walking but not with this round. 

Just very frustrated with it. Are most of you the same on this type of chemo? 

Thanks 

Hi NikNak5

Wow that is a big difference in size, the FEC should blast some more of it away.  My taste was better when i was on EC than it is on Docetaxol, just felt a bit nauseous.

Best of luck with your FEC sessions,  i am sure you will cope with the SE.

Debi

Hi ladies

18 days on from first docetaxol and cetaxol and I still feel dreadful. Apart from the odd visit to the supermarket, I've done absolutely nothing.

Chest infection cleared thankfully.

Hopefully the new oncologist might be able to offer something useful tomorrow. 

Got some company now during the day, daughter finally talked us into a kitten, very timid but starting to play a bit, which is lovely to see as he's had no socialisation at all. 

Hi all

I am a week in since my first docataxel.  I had awful constipation on saturday and slept most of the day as i was extremely tired.  Ive been getting hot sweats for a few days now - not helped by the fact its so glorious outside!! Ive bought a small fan today i can put in my bag and my brother has given me his fan for night time so fingers crossed for a better sleep tonight!!  Currently got stomach cramps so ive been taking ibuprofen today which has taken the edge off it.  Hoping these side effects disappear in a day or two

Take care ladies - keep fighting

Sue xxx

Hi Debi

my lump was 2.4cm so the shrinkage was great news to hear. I’ve been told the FEC is like the Tasmanian devil of chemo & that’s given to go at it like a whirlwind. I’ll take your advice & im going to drink loads & I’ll definitely  be taking the anti sickness.

my taste on the taxel has been horrid, nothing tastes right, in between my teeth felt like it hurt & ive even suffered with oral thrush which was horrible. Do you not get a horrible tasting mouth on FEC? 

Hi Liz

Thanks for your reply. From tomorrow then I will be drinking plenty of fluids. Anything to make these last 4 cycles as easy as possible. I’ll let you all know how I get on x 

Liz,

Couldn't agree more about docataxel,  it's absolutely dreadful. FEC was so much easier. Every bone in my body is sore and stiff. Just started difflam, certainly soothes throat.

I know these se's won't last and my oncologist did say if the first cycle of docataxel  was really bad they would space it out a bit more. So that option is there but I just want everything finished!

Anyway, sister is looking after me today and I'm going to take it very easy and hope tomorrow is a wee bit better.

Love to you all

Pollensa

Hi Niknak

I found drinking lots on day before FEC and fews days after helped a lot. 

I was a bit more tired the two days after but did get back to normal quickly and was very active walking and cycling.

I was lucky and didn't get the nausea, felt a bit 'not quite right' for a couple of days but nothing to stop normal life

Would happily have more FEC instead of the Docetaxol!

Good luck with it all

Liz

Hi

Congratulations NikNak5 on your shrinkage, how big was your first measurment?  I didn't have FEC but had EC which i think is the same just minus the 'F' part.  One bit of advice i found good was to keep drinking plenty and to take anti sickness tablets.  I just felt very lethargic and ligthheaded on EC.

I am now on Docetaxel and taste buds have gone, i find the only drink i can taste is Ribena dilute.  Lips are quite dry too.

Debi

Hi All

ive just finished 12 weeks of carboplatin/Paclitaxel & will be starting 4 cycles of FEC every 3 weeks on Wednesday this week coming. I’m scared of the FEC. Anyone else started FEC & have any side effects or stories to share. On a positive when I met with my oncologist after my last ultrasound & mammogram my lump has shrunk by over half & is now 1.1 cm which I’m over the moon about. Look forward to hearing from you ladies. We are all doing so well 😊

Liz,

Thanks for advice, tried water with peach but far too sweet. Barley water sounds good.

Pollensa x

Hi Pollensa, 

Wrlcone to the club, my mouth still isn't right and tadte hadn't returned (day 17)

Found barley water tolerable

Liz

Mornin' all,

Beautiful day yesterday but confined to house all day, felt so rough! Had first dose of docataxel on friday. Mouth terribly dry, horrible taste but continued to drink as much as I could ( thanks for advice bramley).

Also had to have first self injection. Well that was fun. Don't think I did it correctly but if I can get to my mum's care home today the nurses have promised to supervise and set me on the right path! The nurse on the unit was fine but she could only tell me what to do, couldn't show me.

Fortunately (or unfortunately!) I have been taking strong painkillers for arthritis for years so am hoping they will help with any additional pains. Oncologist thinks i might need stronger tablets but ill wait and see.

Not sleeping well and getting really fed up with the whole bloomin rigmarole!

I've had surgery so radiotherapy 6 weeks or so after end of chemo. Don't mind thought of rads so much, it's the drive to the hospital that bothers me.! Completely different hospital from chemo unit.

Hope you all have a lovely day and side effects not too grim! We're getting there ladies!

Pollensa x

Evening!  What a lovely sunny day we have had.  Makes such a difference to body and soul Smiley Happy 

Debi - yes I'm due to have 3 x weeks of radiotherapy (15 sessions I think) but will need to wait 6-8 weeks after surgery to allow scars to heal (think I will start in September).  I will see my Consultant again 3 weeks after surgery to get results of the tests on everything taken out (tumour and lymph nodes).  It's a long journey isn't it when you think I found the lump at the end of January, started my chemo on 20th March and I'll probably finish radiotherapy in October.   You will be so happy to finish chemo and get your surgery in September.  I think I'll be skipping in the hospital to the operating theatre to get the damn thing out of me, they will think I'm high on something, lol....   I'll keep everything crossed for your MRI on Friday and your lump shrinking into a teeny tiny thing.  I know you said you had experienced pain in your lump so hopefully that will have been a really good sign as it was with me.  Hang on in there with the Docetaxel.  With any luck the next one won't be as bad for side effects.  I'm not sure if our bodies get used to the routine of these chemo sessions and find better ways to cope with the side effects.  I have had less side effects on chemo 5 than the previous 4 rounds but I think I've learnt something every time.  The human body is just amazingly resilient really.   I do feel so much better (and less zombie like) not to be taking any drugs (apart from paracetemols) when I finish the steroids and 5 days of injections.  Every drug has side effects and for me I think the side effects of the additional drugs were much worse than the side effects of chemo.  I fully appreciate that I'm probably alone in thinking like that Smiley Happy 

If I could inspire one person out there to exercise their way through chemo that would be amazing.  It has literally changed my life.  I am 51 years old and had been going to the gym 2-3 times per week before diagnosis so had a pretty good fitness base.  I have always enjoyed exercise but the Oncologist wasn't keen on me going to the gym due to the number of germs.  We agreed that walking in the fresh air would be the best form of exercise during chemo (very few germs outside).  I made a pact with myself that I would get out for a walk every day of chemo, even if I could only literally drag myself to the end of the road.  I developed a set route of 7.5km through my local housing estate, across parks and green space. I wanted it to be quiet as I was worried about wearing my wig in public and planned it so that at the half way point I would pass a community centre and supermarket with a toilet, just in case I needed it.  The route took 1.5 hours initially as I walked every morning straight after breakfast in the week before I started chemo.  Then something very bizarre happened, the day after chemo 1, I felt really strong (now I know it was steroids!) and I started jogging between a few lamp posts.  To put it into context I have never ever run in my whole life!  From that point I mixed the jogging with walking and I haven't stopped since. I am now jogging 6km of the 7.5km route and I absolutely love it.  I bought one of those looped sports bottles to make myself drink an extra 500ml of water on the way round.  I literally get dressed into my leggings, t-shirt, trainers and wig first thing every morning, have my breakfast and I'm off out the door by 8.30am (rain or shine) when my youngest has gone to school.  Even on my very worst days of chemo, I was determined to do it and without exception have always felt much better for it afterwards.  It's a sense of achievement, something I could control and I actually feel really proud of myself.  I'm sure it has also helped me sleep well at night as I've had lots of fresh air and exercise every day.  It sets me up for the day, gives me thinking time to process everything, and I make time for myself afterwards by having a nice warm shower, washing and conditioning my scalp and just pampering myself.  My Oncologist and Consultant are both surpised and absolutely delighted that I've managed to run every day of chemo so far.  There is so much research and evidence to shows exercise helps with chemo and I'd like to think I'm living proof of that.   My other incentive is that I really want to be in good shape physically ready for a general anaesthetic and to help with a speedy recovery post surgery.   I've promised my Consultant that I'll only walk for the first couple of weeks post surgery waiting for scars to heal Smiley Happy

So yes to anyone reading this, if you can walk every day of chemo, I guarantee you will feel so many benefits both physically and mentally.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone xxx

Hi Everyone

Bramley what a lovely positive post.  Great news that your chemo is blasting your lump and that you have got a date for surgery, are you having radiotherapy after surgery too?

I have been told that i am having 4 docetaxel (3 left to go) so my surgery will be around Sept 10th.  I will get to know if my lump has reduced on Friday 28th after my MRI on 25th πŸ™.

Your post as inspired me to get out and do a bit of walking every day.  I have been quite static - which isn't good for my DVT - only staying around the house and garden.  I have also been eating healthy by making fruit salad for snacking and salads for meals.

My side effects on docetaxel have been neck and shoulder pain, aching hips and knees, dry mouth and lips, nose bleeds and just a little fatigued but these were mostly in the first week to 10days.

Have a lovely weekend, smash through those side effects and stay positive

you are all amazing!

Debi

Evening everyone! 

Sorry to hear a few of you are feeling negative side effects of Docetaxel (T).  It seems to affect everyone so differently in comparison to the other chemo drugs.  I have found this round, number 5 and 2nd dose of T to be much better than round 4.  I'm sure I read somewhere that sometimes the first round can be the worst of the 3 rounds.  My hands haven't swollen this time although still experiencing tingling/numbness in fingers. The longer course of steroids have definitely helped to prevent hands from reacting.  Suprisingly, I have had no joint/muscle aching or flu symptoms this time.  My only side effects have been a sore throat for which I've gargled with salt water, a bit of an erratic temperature on day 4-5 (took paracetemols overnight) and feeling a bit tired between day 4-7 post chemo. I just kept as active as I could through the fatigue, walked a lot to get plenty of fresh air so I would be tired and sleep well at night. I think the worst thing is the whole taste thing.  Nothing tastes nice or as it should but I've made sure I've eaten really healthily as I know my body really needs it to get through chemo.   You have probably gathered from my posts now that I really don't like to take drugs if I can possibly help it, prefering to try and find a more natural way to help with my symptoms through nutrition, exercise and lifestyle. Obviously I always took the steroids and injected myself for 5 days post chemo as directed by my Oncologist.  

I saw my Consultant today for a check on the size of my tumour after chemo round 5.  I hadn't seen her since before I started chemo and I was really scared in case the chemo hadn't been effective. I knew my lump felt different but I really had no idea what was happening.  I had also experienced sharp stabbling like pains in my tumour after every round of chemo (usually in week 2) and just assumed it was the chemo drugs killing the cancer cells.  A quick feel and the ultrasound confirmed that my tumour has reduced dramatically Smiley Happy  She is very happy that the chemo has been effective and the pains I had experienced were probably a very good sign that the chemo was doing it's thing.  My tumour was 3cm before I started chemo.  She couldn't tell me how big it is today as she struggled to differentiate between healthy tissue and what is left of the tumour so I'm hoping it's very small now.  To say I am happy is an understatement; so many emotions of sheer relief after 5 rounds of chemo.  I was terrified at the outset when she suggested chemo before surgery as I just wanted the cancer to be cut out soonest before it spread anywhere.  Now I can see she made the right decision for me and I am so thankful.  My Husband was with me today and we couldn't believe the difference between the 2 appointments with my Consultant.  The first was terrifying to hear the results of the biopsy and the cancer diagnosis.  I cried a lot that day.  Today I felt the most positive I have felt since my initial diagnosis and left walking on air.  I am now booked in for a lumpectomy and sentinal node clearance at the end of July (3 weeks post chemo 6).  A day surgery with no drains.  I am so looking forward to that day to have the cancer finally cut out. 

So my message to you all you lovely ladies is that these chemo drugs are so good at what they are designed to do.  Yes they give us rubbish side effects and chemo is a truly gruelling process on our bodies.  But it will be so worth it to be cancer free at the end of this journey and to get our lives back.   Hold the faith everyone and stay positive!  We can and will get through this xx

PS - Phet - I note the article you flagged up about omega 3 supplements.  I had also read about the link between omega 3 and making chemo more effective.  Since before starting chemo I've been eating at least 2-3 portions of oily fish per week, usually salmon and tinned sardines in tomato sauce.  I've also been adding a tablespoon of chia seeds to my porridge every morning (can't taste them so I figured it was worth a try), eating a handful of nuts and an avocado every day.  I know I've been getting a pretty good dose of omega 3 throughout chemo in a natural way rather than using supplements. 

Hi Kelly, 

If GP doesn't play nicely, ask the chemo team when you are there. 

Ours issues an extra prescription which we collect from pharmacy on the way out

Xx

Hello all

It looks like there are a few of us on docataxel now.  How are u all feeling? Im so rough i feel like ive been hit by a bus.  So so tired, dizzy spells, hot flushes, mouth ulcers, no appetite, feel really irritable too!! 

My workplace have organised a charity day for me today - they all have to wear pink and theyre auctioning off items to raise money for  me.  Im so so touched by it all.  I was hoping to pop in and say hello but ive not the energy to get dressed!!

Hope all our side effects disappear soon and we can try and enjoy the sunshine.

Take care ladies

Sue xxx

Hiya Lizandsarah

Thankyou for your advice. I’m not looking forward to it but hopefully I’ll be prepared. Will see if my Dr can prescribe something before I actually get the symptoms. He may make me wait until I’ve got pain before he gives me anything.

I already suffer with constipation thanks to IBS, so no doubt it’ll get worse. I take Senna every night, so will continue with that.

x