Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2020 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: April 2020 Chemo Starters

How you getting on Joy? Xx

Highlighted

Hi there, I’m really struggling today. Not sure side effect of Docetaxel or Nivestim? I had my 4th injection last night. Couldn’t sleep last night, almost 2 am before I could fall asleep. I woke up too many times to go to toilet. Sore throat, body aches.
I woke up this morning with pain on my hips. Body aches. Checked temperature about 37.4. Checked my BP it about 190/74! Heart rate at 117. I’ve tried not too panic, got up took a shower, tried to eat breakfast. Hope i will get better. My BP lower a bit but I still feel my heart beating too fast and irregular. Should I be worried? Tried to call my keyworker but she out of the office, I will try again later.

Anyone have the same symptoms? I’m so worried. It’s only my 6 day after 1 circle on Friday. Will it get better or worse? Xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️Sosoblue. Keep eye on temp and if your chest starts to feel tight 999 it. The T part can give a reaction, it’s happened to a few of us before. One lady switched to abraxane and because it was my 2nd t when I had reaction I went back on a fec for my 6th chemo. It is 😳 but your teams have seen it all before and know what to do ❤️ it’s just it’s a bit 😳 at the time. If you are still not feeling quite right always ring rapid response, just watch out of tightening of chest too ❤️ sending 👭💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi there, 

My 1st circle done with a bit of struggled 😰 
I was started with Pertuzumab, it went ok no problem. Then I had Herceptin next, it gave me a cold and shivering but I could cope. The last one though, Docetaxel! Horrible! It only in for a few minutes my body went hot, red flush on my face. I could tell something not right. Lucky nurse there, explain the medicines I need to take at home. She had to stopped the machine right away and told the doctor.

Then they gave me stronger steroid, let me wait a bit before gave me another go with reduced rate. Luckily this time it went on ok, doctor was concerned that we might have to stopped! Phewww.....
Its freaked me out though, I’m not looking forward to the next one. By the way, i supposed to have 6 circles but they had to modified it because of Covid19, they will give me just 4 circles. I don’t know will it going to be good or not? I have grade 2, Her 2 positive on my rights breast. And still have no idea about the surgery yet, what I am going to get. Yesterday I gave myself 1st injection, today woke up with red rash on my face, temperature about 37.1 c. Not sure is it side effect of the chemo drugs or the injection? Any idea? I rang the emergency number, the nurse told me to try antihistamine and see how it go. Still waiting will it get any better 😭

I don’t know how I’m going to get though all this. I’ve 2 boys, I’m so worried about them xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Jill1998 for that mountain lion link...summed it all up beautifully...and if anyone mentions soya (my version of kale) again I might just punch them 🙂

Highlighted

Hey Sosoblue

How do you get on yesterday....send you a great big virtual hug.
xoxo

Highlighted

Thank you.  Honestly, the fear was worse than the reality. 

The nurses were fabulous, the treatment was fine (no reactions thank goodness), and despite being sick yesterday (husband was cooking a curry and who knew my sense of smell was so good!) I'm pleased to say today has been a nausea free day. Hurrah! #WinningAtLife

I've got my big girl pants back on, and know that I can do this one day at a time, sometimes one breath at at time. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond 🙂 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies ,good luck with your treatment .This is the " story " Shi is referring to that most of us who have been through cancer treatment feels sums the experience up very well

Mountain Lion https://forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Hope-and-inspiration/Mountain-Lion/td-p/1030937

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi onetitwonder, I’m glad you found my blog helpful.  I think sweary ranty thoughts are hard to avoid with the pressure this disease puts us under.  The thought of chemo is much harder than the reality.  I think we build our fear up so much that the actual chemo becomes a relief.  You’ll be sitting in a chair with a canula in your hand/arm and the nurse takes care of the rest and talks you through it.  I understand your added concerns with Coronavirus so just protect yourself extra with hygiene precautionaries.  Meltdowns are inevitable and you can pick yourself back up when you feel ready but you can still get through it whether you weep or laugh so don’t expect too much from yourself.  Sending positive vibes your way. 💕🦋💫 xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Joy, sorry you find yourself on here, the secondary threads on here will be good source of help and support too for you, I don’t know if you’ve had a look at them yet. 🤞for Monday, just take it one treatment at a time, it can be a lot to process all at once. All of you try and find Mountain Lion by Strawberry Blond, I think it’s in the inspiration bit 👍 lots and lots have found it inspirational ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone

I'm Joy and am starting chemo on Monday (6th). I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer (mets in my liver) so they are focusing on just chemo for now with the hope that I'll be able to have surgery (hopefully a lumpectomy with removal of lymph glands) afterwards. It depends on how I respond to chemo. 

It really hasn't hit me yet.... I'm very good at avoiding things that are difficult to think about. I had a traumatic childhood which has resulted in Complex-PTSD and Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). I had a panic about starting chemo a few days ago because of the DID, etc, so popped into the day unit when I was there for my MUGA scan. The nurses were so kind and reassuring. They're putting me in a side room on Monday so my husband can be with me for that first treatment. Such a relief.

Hope you ladies who had chemo yesterday are doing okay.

Joy x

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️ Hang onto each other 👭get into the rollercoaster that’s chemo and hang on ❤️ just take it one day at a time and keep taking temp and drinking fluids, if your antisickness meds don’t work rapid response it straight away, they will tweak them till they get them right. There are good makeup tutorials on line (a lady with alopecia) does some brilliant ones how to do eyebrows and eyelashes 👍 get your look good feel better sessions booked with your Macmillan (they are probably off while the covid19) happening but you should still be able to sign up. If your wee burns after chemo even if you don’t have a temp, rapid response it, it’ll need antibiotics and keep check for thrush mouth or thrush again rapid response it it’ll need antibiotics ❤️ I found keeping a diary making note of temp and when I’d taken meds and fine injection helped, you will find you settle into a bit of a routine ❤️ I put a post it on the kitchen wall and ticked each one off, helped keep me focused. Do speak to your bc nurse and teams they have seen it all before and will help and support you through ❤️ plenty of ❤️👭❤️on here too, ask away, everyone will help ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi there,

I’ll start my Chemo tomorrow as well!!! I’m freaking out. Don’t know how I’m going to cope with it. Having a meltdown every 5 minutes 😭😭😭

Highlighted

Hey "Mai7", 

Thanks for your message I've been reading your blog (prior to finding you on here) and it's been super helpful - thank you. I love that you say that you swear (a lot), just not on your blog :-).  I have a potty mouth too but try really hard not to swear when typing!

I start chemo this Friday 3rd and honestly, I'm absolutely terrified. I sailed through the mastectomy in my usual style with lots of humour, positivity & gratitude. However, when I met the oncologist for chemo conversations (i.e. predict %, choose your chemo during C-virus) I broke down. Then add in the fear about catching the C-virus into the mix...I simply haven't been able to pull myself together.  I seem to have lost my faith and courage and don't know how to get it back. 

xoxo

Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted
Community Champion

April 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi 👋 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in April 2020.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-...

Here’s an excellent article for anyone concerned about hairloss. That’s pretty much everyone starting chemo: https://pinklotus.com/powerup/breastcancer101/chemo-hair-loss-and-menopause-hair-too/

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:http://lifeafterlola.blogspot.com/p/chemotherapy.html

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don't immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

Best wishes xx