April 2021 Chemo Starters

Hi 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy this month.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day and get a thermometer and check your temperature every day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-…

Here are some apps which can help to keep you on track: 

breastcancernow.org/information-support/support-you/becca

nhs.uk/apps-library/owise-breast-cancer/

careology.health/

I finished my chemo in October 2017 and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:

lifeafterlola.com/

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don’t immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

If you’re new to the forum, here’s the “Getting Started” advice:

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/How-to-get-started/bd-p/welcomegetstarted

Hi Mai I remember reading your story when I was here in 2018 it was very helpful.
So here’s what’s happened to me…

In March 2018 I was diagnosed with Her2+ grade 3 with lymph node involvement in my right breast. I underwent chemo with herceptin and perjeta and had a complete response. Surgery and rads followed and then tried to move on from it. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be as I went for my routine mammo on 12th march and they found a lump this time on my left side and triple negative. This diagnosis has floored me and I feel so scared about the future. I do know from last time that once treatment starts it all feels a bit better, I am really hoping I will start chemo ASAP. 
I am going in Monday for bloods and they have talked about putting a pic line one because of the lymph clearance last time chemo can only go in on one side. 
We have told immediate family and a couple of friends but I can’t face telling people or talking about it. 
Well I hope I haven’t put anyone off joining this thread, it would be good to have some company here. Xx

Hello to All

I am starting chemo on 7th April. Diagnosed with BC on 8th Dec, lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 26th Jan, pathology showed node involvement and decision to treat as HER2+ as well. So 6 cycles of Chemo, then cavity shave and full node clearance and radiotherapy.A long old road that I plodding along day by day.Pre-assessment on Mon 5th and Picc line being fitted on the morning before Chemo.

I wish everyone starting Chemo well and those of you who have experienced it, have given me lots of information and tips.

Hi All,

This is my first post, so hoping I manage to do it correctly.

Thank you for sharing your journeys so far. I hope we can keep each other company during this horrible time.

Things have been pretty crazy the past couple of months -I was diagnosed as Her2 neg in early Feb this year and had a wide local excision and a sentinel node biopsy. My lymph nodes were clear but I had two further operations before my consultant was able to get clear margins, which meant I was classed as grade 3 (Hope that makes sense, I’m still trying to get to grips with all the terminology!).

I’m now due to start chemo Friday next week, on FecT, 3 lots of Fec and 3 lots of T!

I’m planning on cutting my hair just before and on reading your posts I’m thankful for the advice you ladies have shared so far, and I don’t feel so alone thank you.

Kirsty

Hi All,

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I’m certainly happy to have found this thread and to have you all to share experiences and support with.

Your weekend sounds lovely, I’m hoping to do similar with my two (10 and 12). It certainly helps that the sun is shining :sun_with_face:

Ohhh roast lunch sounds yummy! Enjoy :clinking_glasses:

Hi LML,

Thank you for the lovely welcome and for sharing your experience so far. I am also due to have radiotherapy and hormone treatment, like you but following chemo.

Like you say a long road but hopefully the support we can give each other on here will make things a little easier.

I saw your post about Shein and have had a look. There are some good options on there for wigs. You mention them being good quality, I’ve never shopped with Shein before but think I’m going to order a couple. My daughter (10) wants me to go for a blue one, which I might do just for a bit of fun to make her smile :blue_heart: . I’m trying to keep things as positive as possible for both her and my son.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Take care and speak soon

Kirsty xx

Hey Ladies,

Been thinking of those with appointments and treatment starting today and tomorrow. Sending hugs and positive vibes your way.

Kirsty 
xx

Hi al. I’m starting my first round of chemotherapy on Monday 19th. I need Herceptin so I’m doing chemo before my mastectomy.

I feel a bit behind in organising some different head coverings for when I lose my hair. I’d be grateful for recommendations.

Hi, due to start chemo tomorrow and started my steroids today. Really quite nervous as this isn’t my first rodeo! However, I am assured the chemo I had for my lymphoma a few years ago was very aggressive. Don’t know which is worse… not knowing what to expect or having the memories for my previous experience. Any support and advice will be greatly appreciated :purple_heart:

Hi all

I have just discovered this forum and I thought I would drop by and say hi. 

I was diagnosed in January with Her2+/ER+ stage 2 breast cancer and had a WLE in Feb.  Had my first chemo this week on Wednesday and sadly had a pretty bad reaction to the Taxol.  Herceptin was fine. Ended up in another hospital and CT scans as my face dropped and right side of my body decided to give up for a bit. MRI next week and meeting oncologist on Monday to decide what to do next.

Has anyone else had an anaphylactic reaction to taxol and if so, what course of treatment did you go onto have?  

Absolutely dreading next week as supposed to be very early Wednesday for next chemo and having flashbacks. 

Many thanks

Milly