cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2018 Chemo starters

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Val

Good to hear from you

I lost one toenail but by the time it came off luckily one had grown underneath, it is a little tender but other than that it is fine

Joint pain is tricky, not sure how long it lasts but the glucosamine & chondroitin tablets help. I also saw the other day that magnesium spray helps - I bought some & it does work

Hope your recovery from the ops goes ok.

The radiotherapy isn’t too bad as long as you keep hydrated & use lots of moisturisers

Take care 

Jude x

Hi, I have exactly the same thing happening to my finger nails, I’ve had to glue one ad it was breaking half way down. My small toe nail looks pretty awful too, I think it might come off.

i actually can’t back on this thread to see if anyone else was having problems with joint pain, I’m glad to see it’s not just me! I can totally associate with the feeling 90 and creeping along for the first few steps. Does anyone know how long it will last for? 

I finished chemo in December like most of you but I’ve still got radiotherapy to come in May, chemo was the first treatment for me followed by surgery, twice, now just a few more weeks to go. 

Best of luck to you all, I’ve followed you over the months but not posted much. 

Cheers Cat, I might make some enquiries re the course

Tarnia we were on the Caribbean side at Riviera Mayo - enjoy

Jude x

Hi Jude,

we’re staying in a Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific side. Where did you stay?

Tarnia x

Hi Ladies,

Sue, well done on going back to work, take it easy, I imagine it will be all too easy to take on too much too quickly.

Jo, Devon sounds fantastic. I'm just back from visiting friends in Dunster (Somerset), another beuatiful part of the country. I'm due to attend the Moving Forward course in May so pleased to hear you found it beneficial.

Jude, I'm wating for the details of the course to come through but I think it's once a week (half day) for 4 weeks. Where I live it's on a Friday.

Tarnia, have a fbulous time in Mexico and yes please do bring the sunshine back!

Take care all, Cat xxx

I loved Mexico Tarnia, where are you staying x

Hello ladies,

sue, good to hear you’re back at work with a return to work plan in place. Definitely need time to settle into your normal routine.

Jo, sounds like you’re having a lovely break in Devon - just what the doctor ordered 👍🏼 I went wig free during my radiotherapy treatment as I had to travel quite a distance and no one knew me! It felt great so enjoy the freedom of being wig free ☺️

Jude, when I got diagnosed and was told I needed chemotherapy it suddenly became all about my hair! Hated the thought of losing it I guess like most ladies 😏 so glad we’ve come through it all and it’s all positive now ....hair growing instead of falling out (albeit wild 😂) !

I’m off to Mexico tomorrow for a week for a well earned rest and a bit of sunshine on my bones ☀️ 

So Adios for now! I will try and bring the sun back for you all.

Take Care,

Tarnia x

Hi Sue & Jo

The hair malarkey is quite difficult isn’t it! I’ve not been upset about any of the diagnosis or treatment but my lack of hair dues make me feel emotional!

My latest plan is to ditch the wig after Easter, if I’m brave enough... My wig feels a tad tight now I’ve got some hair underneath. 

Dont push yoursekf self too hard with the returning to work, even though I’ve had an holiday I’m still very tired & find it if do 2 things in a day ie go to work & then go out in the evening I am absolutely knackered the next day. It’s all about management.

The moving forward course sounds interesting - is it a one day course or over a few weeks?

hope everyone is ok

Jude x

Hi,

Well done for getting back into working ways, another step forward.

We do need to pace ourselves though. I went back to work in Feb but only for 4 hours hours a day and even now Im not really working full time hours, mainly as I have so much leave to take😀

Im away for a short break days with the family down in Devon, having a great time and enjoying being wig free.However, when I’m back at work I will be putting the wig back on....it’s still too short for me for total freedom at work. I will try again in a few weeks.

i attended a BCC moving forward course during March which was really helpful, emotional at times but good for me in the long run. It was so nice to be able to speak openly to others who are going through similar, a bit like this forum. 

Taking my girls for a hack across Dartmoor this morning.....well I’m driving them to the stables and the instructor will take them....I might take a walk across the moors while hubby plays golf!

take care 

jo x

Hello ladies

Hope everyone is well. So I've just had my first haircut to get rid of all the fluffy ends. So ive now got a very short pixie cut. I've decided I'm still going to wear the wig for a while though.  My  hairdresser is still reluctant to colour it and wants me to wait another few months. He's also given me the joyous news that my hair has been naturally grey for 'a few years' but says it's never looked grey at the roots as the highlighted blond has always reflected off the very pale grey. So I'm definitely stuck with the grey though he says it will colour well once it's strong enough to hold the colour.

In other news I started back at work yesterday. Being in the office was fine but getting there for 10am was a chore. I never realised just how much I do everything at a much more leisurely pace than before. 🐌🐌🐌I certainly need to speed up my morning routine again. Thankfully I've got a few more weeks to practice before I need to get myself there for 9. I've been whacked today though so pleased I've decided to do day on / day off for a while.

So how is everyone else doing? 

Sue xx

Totally agree xx

jo

You are right Cat, we have come a long way 

I do think this forum has helped a lot, communicating with people who are going through it & understand the mental & emotional side as well as the physical 

Friends, family & work have been great but they don’t fully get it however hard they try 

Gave a brill weekend evetyone

Jude x

Hi Ladies,

Agree there are definitely benefits in going back to work with short hair straight away, and hopefully it means getting the questions / conversations out of the way sooner rather than later.  Although in my role I work with different people at different times depending on which project I am on so likely to be a while before I see everyone for the first time! I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to have the conversations initially but after a while should get used to it. I know where you're coming from Tarnia, I definitely feel in a very different place now compared to all those months ago. We've all come a long way!

Hair on rest of my body pretty much back to normal now other than under my arms where hair has barely grown back at all so I won't be complaining about that!

Take care all, Cat xxx

Jo

your hair looks great! Coming along nicely. Nice and thick too!

Jude my hair is very curly at the back. When it first starting growing the waves looked very 1920’s!!

My body hair is also back to normal! Can’t believe I’ve got to pay to be waxed next week before my holidays 🙄. My eyebrows are back and bottom lashes. Top lashes are short and still a bit gappy 🤨 but getting there!

I was also very anxious about going out and about with short hair but after the first couple of times it became  very normal and I stopped even thinking about it! I even explain to people about my diagnosis who comment on it! I feel that now I’ve come through it I can talk about it easier! 

Take care

Tarnia xx

Jude,

Great piece of advice about the wig and people forgetting you are not 100%. That is so true.

i have to remind people that Ive only just come back so going in with short hair will be a constant reminder.

jo x

Your hair is coming back really well Jo, you’ve got some height on top & it looking really thick at the back. Yours also seems to be coming back straight, mine has tight waves at the back which is at bit weird

Cat - this might sound strange but one benefit of not wearing a wig will be that people will realise that you are not 100%, as when you are wearing a wig I do think people forget what you’ve been through, so people may be a bit more considered - going back to work is a little tricky mentally (I’ve got list after list to refer to!)

In other hair areas - body & nasal hair nearly back to normal, eyelashes back fully but short & eyebrows are getting there!

Jude x

Hi Jo and Jude, 

Your hairs looking good, I know it’s a big change but it suits you both short. You have both got a little bit more growth than me. 

Jo I’m in a similar situation, I work for a large company and whilst a lot of people will know about me, many won’t. I’m hoping that after I have my hair coloured I am confident enough to go without the wig, that’s my current plan anyway...going back to work with my new hairstyle...time will tell!

Take care, Cat 😘

3EE94AB0-A8D4-4E70-994A-8AAF287FCB19.jpegA7573CA1-6388-4213-B3DB-8C494995E79F.jpegWell I thought I would follow Jude’s example. This is me with my new hair growth! Wig on for me though for work today.

jox

Jude,

Your hair looks good but I know what you mean about going wig free at work. The thought of that for me is so daunting...I think because I work in a large organisation and people outside of my direct team don’t necessarily know why I was off- I’m sure the jungle drums have been beating  but the wig looked  good and it wasn’t obvious that I didn’t have any hair. Going back with hair the length of mine is obvious!  Need to build up the confidence first. 

jo x

Hi ladies

Jo - enjoy the break, hopefully you will find it really relaxing. My plan was to ditch the wig at work this week as I’d not worn my wig at all on holiday but I just couldn’t ☹️. However I have been to Morrison’s & out for a couple of walks bareheaded so I’m getting there slowly. My latest plan is after Easter to lose the wig, as I will have had it coloured again & hopefully there may be a bit more style to it.

Tarnia - thank you! 

Cat - Santorini does look absolutely lovely!

Take care all

Jude x

Hi all,

Its good to hear your stories of hair growth and holidays. I actually went to the hairdresser yesterday and had a trim of all the straggly bits. Mine hasn’t grown much in length but has just been getting thicker and thicker, which is good.....I think! Hopefully as it as has now thickened up it will start to grow. I’ll go back in about 4 weeks for another tidy up. 

I’ve been having the same problem with the wig movement! 

Im going away on Sunday for a few days to Devon. Staying at an activity centre - hubby can play golf, kids can go to activities and I can sit around read a book and maybe go for a swim or a gentle relaxation class! I might venture out on a guided walk across Dartmoor. Really looking forward to it, jut nice to have some time away with the family, away from hospitals and treatment. 

Even though my hair isn’t that long, I am going to ditch the wig for the week.....eek.....brave the very very, short hair.....eek...just makes life easier with swimming and classes etc. I’m not sure yet though if I am brave enough to back to work without the wig, might need hair to grow some more. I will try and send a picture of my hair growth, but as I am in my PJs and almost ready for bed, I might leave it for another day 😀

Take care

jo 

Hello ladies,

Cat you will definitely feel better about your hair when it’s been coloured I know I did and I’m sure you will soon get used to Your new style and just keep telling yourself it will soon grow and be long again - I remind myself everyday 🤗 I’ve also heard it might go straight again too 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Jude your hair looks great! Looks nice and thick already and lovely colour too.

Tarnia xx

Hi Ladies

I’m been brave & am posting some photos!

The numbers on the photos relate to the week relating to my last chemo so week 1 was a week after & week 20 is this week

So I can see by the photos that my hair has grown a lot but I still feel quite unattractive. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t drop dead gorgeous before but it has made me realise how much we need our hair to feel good

In a positive note I’ve just about got mascara on today!!

Jude x

4D33EF2E-7A4C-4078-859E-CEB4CB608770.jpeg

FE661B9E-0AB3-43B6-80D9-665CE59E76D0.jpeg

C12398EE-C48D-4AF1-B277-F9230A9CAF73.jpeg

3B7D50D1-CD15-4C6A-904C-08941543939A.jpeg

Hi Ladies,

I tried Yoga years ago and couldn’t get to grips with it at all back then but maybe it’s time to try again. I would definitely need a more relaxed group too!

Not sure how long everybody’s hair is, mine is about half an inch and seems to be thickening up nicely…..I hope the Tamoxifen doesn’t counteract that! I'm taking weekly pictures/videos too, good to look back and see progress. I’m having it coloured for the first time on 18th April (can’t wait!) and as long as the colour takes well I plan to ditch the wig from then, will be a big change after long blonde hair for 30 years!

Sue, I’m using a wig liner and it is definitely helping to keep mine in place.

Your phased return sounds sensible. I will have a session with Occupational Health in the next few weeks so hopefully they will suggest something similar.

Tarnia I think it’s quite common for people who had straight hair previously to grow curly hair after chemo (the chemo curl) but it may go straight again eventually, that’s what happened to somebody I know.

Jude, Santorini in September sounds absolutely perfect!

Take care, Cat xxx

Hello ladies

Sue just reading your comments about Yoga made me giggle! I would be absolutely hopeless 😂😂

Good luck everyone returning to work, hope it all goes well.

Good news for me is that my hair is growing well, colour held well but roots are showing so going to get them done day before I go on holiday. Problem I have though is that it’s growing really curly which is bizarre as I’ve always had dead straight hair!! I’ve no idea what to do with it!!! Suppose I should just be grateful it’s hair! 

Sue I also had the problem of my wig moving about as my hair got thicker and longer 🤨 I did find using a hair net underneath helped a little bit.

Take care

Tarnia x

Hi Jude

My hair sounds a bit like yours. I called in to see my hairdresser on Friday (I've been going to him for nearly 20 yrs!!). He started my complimenting my wig and said if he hasn't known differently he would have thought I'd been cheating on him and going somewhere else to have my hair done - he kept saying how fab it was.  Anyhow he thinks it's growing well, says it slightly thicker than it probably was before (but that doesn't take much as it's always been quite fine. But its not long enough to do anything with it. I'm going back next week to have a cut to get rid of the scraggy ends and hes going to shape it for me but he's reluctant to colour it as he's concerned it could end up getting damaged but he also thinks it might not hold a colour. I'm currently a greyish white where I've been used to being blond so I think I'll be sticking with my wig for a while longer. The problem now is that as my hair is a bit longer my wig moves around so I'm forever having to readjust it.  Grrrrrr........

One thing that keeps me going is that I've been taking weekly photos to document it's progress and it's come a huge way since I finished chemo.

Think long hair everyone!!!!

Sue xx

Hi Sue & Cat

I’m also planning our next holiday 😂, looking st Santorini early September -  trying to get through our bucket list!

Good luck to both of you on your return to work, take it easy & don’t expect too much of yourselves. I find the tiredness comes & goes so a few early nights might be in order...

That sort of yoga might be a bit happy clappy for me as well!

We have some Pilates classes near us which I might try as there aren’t any local yoga classes

My hair is a lot thicker now but not growing much lengthwise which is a bit disappointing- my plan was to lose the wig after our holiday but I don’t think I’m brave enough to go to work without it ☹️

Hope everyone is doing ok

Jude x

Hello all

Hope you've been enjoying the lovely weather we have at the moment!

Jude - yes I do find yoga relaxing - I found myself snoring on a couple of occasions during the relaxation part at the end of the sessions 😴. I'm hoping to start going regularly - it's really good for flexibility and I'm hoping it will help with aches and pains for my joints.   I'm searching for a local class that suits me timings wise but is also one that's not too 'spiritual' for my tastes - I've found some classes in the past to be a bit intense in that regard and it's just not me. I nearly got myself into trouble on the yoga retreat with inappropriate giggling. Imagine a room full of women laid on their backs, legs in the air, wide open being asked by the yoga instructor to consider ' what does it mean to you to be in this pose - what does it mean to feel open' ??? I mean really - that's just asking for trouble in my book.......

I've agreed a very gentle phased return - I'm starting back on the 8th April with the intention of being back to full time by mid June.

I've also just started taking gloucosamin and chrondrotin so I'm hoping that works.

Have a lovely holiday Tarnia 

Ttfn Sue xx

Hi Ladies,

I have been ‘off grid’ for a few weeks, just back from a lovely holiday in Tenerife. It was just what the doctor ordered, very relaxing.

Jude and Sue glad you enjoyed your holidays too!

Tarnia, great that you have yours to look forward to, I want to book another one now!

I also used Factor 50 (mainly) whilst I was away. During the latter part of the holiday I did develop prickly heat on my back and the back of my arms so took antihistamines, I haven’t had prickly heat on holiday for years so wonder if due to skin being extra sensitive at the moment.

Good luck going back to work Sue. I plan to go back 1st May, phased return, so will make the most of the next few weeks. I expect we will feel really tired when we first go back.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and enjoy the sunshine.

Cat xxx

Highlighted

Hi Tarnia

My skin was fine, I used factor 50 everywhere but for the last couple of days gambled & used factor 30 on my legs as they take ages to tan. I’ve come back with a healthy glow! No issues at all with the radiotherapy area

I also took an antihistamine each day in case I got prickly heat rash which worked

Hope you have a fab hols 

Jude x

Hi Jude

How was skin whilst in Mexico? Do you think it was more sensitive than normal and what factor Sun cream did you use? 

I’m glad you feel well rested, I’m hoping it has that affect on me (off in just under 2 weeks, not that I’m counting or anything)! 

Tarnia x

Mexico was fabulous Sue, I feel really well & rested now

Pleased you had a good time on your hols - I think I need to take up yoga, does it help you to relax?

Jude x

Hello Tarnia & Jude

Thanks both for your comments. The info re Black Cohosh backs up what I'd read during chemo - something to do with the estrogen like substance in Black Cohosh. I'm wondering if my GP thought it would be ok for me as I was triple negative but I'm not going to risk it. My physio yesterday recommended glucosamine and chrondrotin so I'll give that a go.  I'm also old lady like when going from resting to moving exacerbated by an inflamed Achilles so I've got some exercises to try to ease that.

Hope ur enjoying Mexico Jude - I've just returned from a week in Austria and then a yoga retreat - I'm feeling very relaxed. Returning to work next month will be a real shock! 

Thanks both 

Sue xx 🧘🧘🧘

Hola Sue & Tarnia from sunny Mexico!

I take glucosamine & chondritin 1000mg (I did stop taking them when I was on chemo) & they really do help particularly when sleeping. But even so from sitting to standing to walking I’m like an old lady for a couple of steps! 

Adios x

Hi Sue

My daughter is a 5th year medical student (qualifying as a doctor this year) and I’ve been speaking to her about this as I’m also suffering from joint pain. She says according to the Nice guidelines they don’t  recommend Black Cohosh for women who have had breast cancer. I will attach the screen shots she’s sent me. 

She’s told me to try taking a Glucosamine and Chondritin supplements to see if this helps with my joint pain but I haven’t started taking them yet so can’t comment if it works or not! 

For me I’m fine when I’m resting and fine when I’m moving but it’s going from resting to moving that’s the issue I’m like someone who’s 90 and it’s driving me mad!! 

Take care

Tarnia

5A039337-9CE4-4BF2-9210-FB58DC57BE06.jpeg

Morning all

Hope everyone is enjoying / has enjoyed their well deserved holidays.

Just wanted to canvas opinion on something. Given I can't go back on HRT my GP has suggested I try Black Cohosh for the menopausal joint aches I'm getting. He assures me there are no issues having had breast cancer but I have a few doubts. Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject?

Is anyone else using it?

The acupuncture I had back in January for the hot flushes still seems to be holding up so I definitely recommend you give it a try if you are suffering.

Enjoy the sunshine all

Sue xx

Hi

I have no idea what to suggest for your nails. I lost a couple of toe nails but thankfully my finger nails have been ok....well up to now anyway. It might be worth asking your chemo nurse for advice as I bet she will have seen this kind of thing before!

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Tarnia

Hi ladies

Ive seen a cew comments about nails. My chemo finished at the very end of December (8 cycles) and  previously had no problems with my nails. I have kept them painted with dark varnish and they have been fine. As the weeks have gone by I could see a clear line from ‘chemo’ nail (basically brown and bumpy) to new nail. 

This time when I took the varnish off the old nail varnish I was shocked to realise the chemo nail bit is basically coming away from the nail bed. When opening a can of beans or drink or catching something with the tips It hurts and the nail feels unstable. The edges seem to be keeping the tops in place.

My worry is that since the healthy bit is now about 50% of the nail if the top comes away completely is going to tear out the new bit and its going to really hurt.

Has anyone used medical superglue or liquid plaster to stick down the loose bit? If this helps keep them on, the rest has a bit longer to grow. I should be able to squirt it down the gap behind the nail. What do you think?

Thanks everyone. It sounds like we just need to be sensible and extra careful in the sun! 

Hope that everyone going on holiday has a lovely time! We certainly deserve it!

Take care all

Tarnia x

Thanks a lot Jo x

Thanks Jo.

Tarnia, I plan to use Factor 50 too. I have fair skin so used to being careful in the sun and will aim to limit the time I am in direct sunlight. 

Cat x

Oh there seems to be a lot of you jetting off on holiday over the next few weeks. Have a fab time, you all deserve it.

jo x

Hi Tarnia

Myradiotherapy consultant says factor 50 but not to overdo it, ie cover up when walking around etc

Apparently your skin overall is more sensitive after chemo as well as the specific area with the radiotherapy 

Jude x

Hi Ladies

just wondering what you are doing when away on holiday with regards to your skin that was treated with radiotherapy. Do you plan on keeping covered or wearing a high factor sunscreen? I’ve read to to wear factor 50 for a least a year but I mentioned to the radiologist that I was going away in April and she insisted it needed to be covered 😫

Tarnia

Hi Lovely Ladies, 

Glad the cold cap worked well for you Tarnia. Now I know why you have so much more hair than me 😂 It’s looking good. 

My hair is still very short too Jo although it’s starting to thicken up a bit now. 

Im going on holiday on Sunday too ☀️, I plan to leave the wig at home but won’t be ditching it completely until I’ve dyed it after I get back.

Jude, I seem to be coping quite well with Herceptin, Bisophanates and Tamoxifen so far although not sure the full extent of the SEs from Tamoxifen have kicked in yet. I get joint aches and pains (I think from Herceptin) and my body thermostat doesn’t seem to work anymore (Tamoxifen), I go from hot to cold and vice versa all the time....especially at night time. 

I’m also struggling to lose the weight I put on during chemo, but won’t worry about that until after my holiday! 😀 Enjoy Mexico! 

Take care everyone, Cat 😘

Hi Ladies

Thanks for all the nail feedback, I suppose as nails are slower growing the damage takes longer to show, hopefully by the summer we will all have reasonable nails again

My hair is definately thickening, hopefully the length will start to come soon... I've been having mine coloured every 3 weeks as the new hair coming though on the thinner patches is grey - my hair & scalp have been fine with the colour.

I'm going to Mexico on Sunday & am hoping that when I come back I can ditch the wig - if I'm brave enough

Well done on finishing radiotherapy Tarnia, the prickly heat won't last very long. Your hair looks great, I know that you used the cold cap & it looks like it worked really well for you

Hows everyone getting on with the targetted therapies herceptin, tamoxifan, bisphosphonates etc?

Also I'm struggling to lose weight, I've only lost 4lbs since beginning of January, was hoping to have lost about 10lbs pre holiday so have had to buy some new holiday clothes - every cloud...

Jude x

Tarnia, 

You did well with the cold cap, I didn’t try that.

I know what you mean about the difficulty in ditching the wig. There are a lot of people at work who don’t know about my diagnosis and that has been the beauty of wearing the wig, but when I brave the “natural look” I am sure it will raise questions.

My wig has been a good buy, felt very confident wearing it and it looks very natural, although it proved challenging today when I went out in all that wind!

As you say Tarnia, at least my hair is growing and it is getting thicker by the day.

Take care

Jo x

Thank you Jo.

Because I used the cold cap I didn’t lose all my hair. I went very thin and at the end of chemo had it cut really short. So now although stil Short it’s a decent length and thickening up nicely. I’m still amazed at how curly it’s growing as I’m normally dead straight and my fringe is almost Afro!! But my hair dresser yesterday was explaining how it always affects the hairline and crown the worst 🤨 

it’s very hard to ditch the wigs and hat because people who know me are going to see such a difference and I haven’t really told that many people about me 🤨 but I hate my wig now it’s gone a bit like dolls hair at the ends so it’s kind of forced my hand.

I’m sure you look lovely Jo whatever the length of your hair and the positive thing here is that it’s growing and once it starts it doesn’t take long!! 

Take care

Tarnia

Looks good Tarnia. 

Must be great to ditch the wig.

I can’t believe how long your hair is.....mine is still very much a crew cut. I finished chemo mid November and I’m not brave enough to go wig free just yet!

jo x