cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2018 Chemo starters

852 REPLIES 852

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Ladies

it’s great to hear that we are all doing well & have come a long way since the chemo traumas - can’t believe it’s nearly a year when chemo finished! This years memories will be a lot more pleasurable to look back on, compared to last years

Hair...how brill is it to be able to squeeze water out - I even use an hairdryer. I’ve had mine cut into a pixie cut so although it is short it feels like a style - I went out out last Friday & for the first time I actually thought I looked ok😊

I had my final herceptin last week & saw the oncologist yesterday - I’ve been signed off, so I’m very pleased.
Just an annual mammogram for a further 9 years - well done on your all clear result Jo, it is a relief!

Take care all 

Jude x

Hello all

So pleased to hear it's not just me getting overly giddy with my growing hair - but it is fookin amazing getting back to where I used to be! 😁😁

Just had a birthday dinner out with my soon to be husband and we were talking about where I was last year on my birthday - mainly sofa ridden with a bucket on standby - it does seem another life time ago. And then a memory popped up on Facebook of us the year before that and we were camping in Joshua Tree national park in southern California with some friends that live out there  - hiking, bbq-ing, drinking and generally behaving like teenagers - a much nicer memory. Served as a reminder not to take things for granted.  So that's enough of the maudling stuff. Happy Wednesday everyone

Sue xx

Hi everyone.

Good to hear from you all. The messages about hair made me smile, I am so like that with my hair. I cannot believe the excitement of using my hairdryer for the first time. I was so chuffed. 

I keep brushing my fingers through my hair, it is very satisfying!

I also have lymphodema in my boob. It is not pretty, really lumpy and hard to the touch. I’m also signed up with the lymphodema nurse, I had tape put on for a while but I got a reaction to the tape so I am now using the massaging technique as well  - hopefully this will help. I still get pain and sensitivity in the area but I’ve been told all is normal.

First mamagram since diagnosis and all was normal 😀🍾

Didnt realise how stressed I was getting waiting for the results - just over 3 weeks but I did shed a few tears when it came back all clear.

Still on my trial so having 3 monthly check ups and blood tests. Good in some ways but still visiting the hospital....

Take care all.

Jo x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Yayyyyy Sue... I am excited for you too!   Its amazing what the little things can do for your self esteem isn't it.  I still get a buzz out of washing my hair and now I can blow dry with a brush.. .well its just the bees knees!   I'm constantly showing my OH how I can nearly grab a handful and make a very very small bun (I;m talking very small but its a bun nonetheless).. he isn't impressed at all and says I am obsessed with my hair... he'll never understand but we all do!  Go celebrate that knot in your hair!!  Smiley Very Happy

Hi Sue, 

Woohoo!!! 🥳 

I’m excited for you even if your OH isn’t 😂

It’s great that we’re all moving forward and you are right to celebrate all these milestones and achievements! 

Take care all, Cat 😘

Hello

Hope everyone is doing well.

I need to share a few things I noticed for the first time this morning in over a year.

1.  I could squeeze water out of my hair this morning in the shower and there was enough coming out that it made a noise when it hit the shower tray. 

2. I got a slight knot/tug when combing my hair through.

My hair is now long enough to squeeze water out and to get knotty - you wouldn't believe how excited I was. Well hopefully you do which is why I'm telling you - my other half didn't get nearly excited enough for my liking.

🤣🤣

Happy Tuesday all xxx

Hi Lovely Ladies, 

I hope you’re all doing well! 😍

Hi Jude, you’re Herceptin must’ve finished now so congratulations for that! I had an appointment with oncologist recently and he said he would see me again in February, so maybe get ‘signed off’ after that. 

Hi Kip, thanks for the advice, I am trying to remember to exercise and massage every day. Hopefully swelling will subside in time. 

Wrap up warm ladies! 

Take care, Cat 😘

Hi Cat

I only work 4 days as well, but am always ready for a Friday - tbh I don’t think I could do 5 anymore!

Santorini was lovely but does seen ages ago now, especially with all this rain

It’s a great feeling to be at the end of herceptin isn’t it, I’ve got my last heart function test this week with an oncology appointment in 2 weeks - not quite sure how it works but I’m hoping I get signed off from oncology but as I’m still on a bisphosphonate tablet for just over another 2 years it might be an annual appointment? 
Nice to hear from you Kip, hope you are ok

Take care & love to all x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi ladies,

I got lymphodema in my surgery arm after radiotherapy, I was given some exercises to do and a sleeve to wear.  It is important to try to do the exercises every day, even just a little bit and gentle massage too.  Thankfully, after 3 months my arm was back to normal but I still have to do the exercises every day and wear my sleeve when exercising or doing strenuous stuff, just to ensure it keeps it at bay.   So far its all ok.  

Kip

x

Hi Lovely Ladies, 

Hope you’re all doing well! 😍

Hi Sue, sounds like we’re in same boat. I heard about Lymphoedema in the Breast at the ‘Moving Forward’ course and when I had my Consultant Appt recently he referred me to the Lymphoedema nurse. I went to see her a couple of weeks ago and she showed me some massage techniques to use (which are basically designed to encourage the flow of fluids to lymph’s on the other side). I started off well and did them daily but I had a busy week away with work last week and completely forgot! 😳 I’m due to go back again to see nurse next week. Good luck! I hope the massage helps. 

Hi Jude, hope you had a lovely time in Santorini, probably a distant memory by now! 😎. Glad work is going well for you too; I have decided to stick at 4 days for a while. Great news that you’ve nearly finished all your Herceptin injections, another reason to celebrate! I have 2 more to go so not too far behind you 😀 

Take care, Cat 😘

Me too Jude 🤞

Hope the massage helps Sue x

Hi Jude

I've been told massage will help - I'm just waiting on some tips from my breast nurse so I can do this myself.

Good to hear your injections are almost at an end - another milestone to tick off! 

Sue x

Hi Sue

Yes it’s the long haul until Christmas but it’s a lot better than last year. I can’t believe how quick this year has gone compared to the chemo months which totally dragged.

I feel more together now at work even though it’s mega busy, my tiredness has improved a lot but I still have to try not to overdo it as it does catch up with me

Sorry to hear about your lymphedema, that must have been a worry - can they treat it at all?

I have my last herceptin injection in 2 weeks time, so that will be the final box ticked 👍

Take care 

Jude x

Hello lovelies

How is every one doing now that holidays are over and 'winter is coming' 🤣🤣. I'm well back into the swing of work now - it's hard to believe I was away for so long and that this time last year I was mid way through my chemo treatment. Had a minor scare a few weeks ago as I felt a general hardening in the affected boob. Luckily I was at the hospital for one of my drug trial appointments so got the opportunity to talk to the oncologist about it. They examined me and said nothing to worry about - it's just lymphoedema! Huge relief as I'd managed to convince myself it was something nasty. Just wished I'd heard of lymphoedema in the boob - was aware it could occur in the arm but not anywhere else! 

Hope you are all ok and getting on with life.

Love to you all!

Sue xx

Hi Cat

Madeira is lovely although take off & landings can be iffy!

It’s only a couple of weeks until we go to Santorini- can’t wait, feel like I need some sun - it’s been that wet recently

hope all of you are ok

jude x

Hi Ladies,

Just back from a lovely week in Madeira, plenty of walking but I still managed to put a few more pounds on! 😎

Sue, what fabulous news, CONGRATULATIONS, I hope the ring shopping was a success! 

Tarnia, hope you’re having a fabulous time in Tenerife ☀️

Jude, it’s great to be active again isn’t it. Not too long until your holiday next holiday! 👍

Take care all 😘😘😘

Enjoy your time in Tenerife Tarnia - hope the sun shines for you.

Jude - I can't praise my hairdresser enough - he has been totally amazing in styling my hair and showing me how to manage it. If you live anywhere near Sheffield I'd highly recommend him! 

Thanks for the congrats both

Sue xx

Hi Sue

your trip to France sounds amazing!! And congratulations on your engagement 🎉 what a lovely end to your holiday!

My hair is growing fast too and like you I get complimented often but I still can’t wait for it to grow more and get my bob back 🤨 I find short curly hair quite difficult to control and look wild most days 😂😂

I’ve currently just landed in Tenerife hoping to enjoy a bit of sunshine for a few days ☀️😎

Take care all .

Tarnia

Hi Sue

It was my first chemo anniversary last Tuesday, like you say it seems 2 minutes ago but ages ago at the same time - we’ve all done really well!

Your hols sounds great, it’s good to feel active again, I’ve found that providing that I have a few sit downs & a cuppa or something stronger I can keep going all day now but it might catch up with me the next day!

My hair is still the bane of my life, I don’t mind it been short I just wish it had more of a style

Big congrats on the proposal - I’m really pleased for you, what a lovely ending to your holiday. Enjoy the ring shopping - very exciting x

Hello all.

Hope you are all ok and enjoying the summer. Congrats to all of you who have had clear mammograms - it must be such a relief.

Today is the anniversary of my first chemo treatment and whilst on one hand it seems like just yesterday on the other it seems like a lifetime ago.

Myself and my other half have recently come back from a few weeks in France where I surprised myself by becoming a total action girl. I walked up and down mountains, forded streams, canoed down rivers and cycled the length and breadth of the Île de Ré ( admittedly not a huge achievement as it is only tiny but it sounds impressive 🤣).

My hair is now well and truly on its way to becoming a proper hairstyle. I've had it cut and coloured since getting back off holiday. It grew loads whilst I was away and it's even curlier than before. My hairdresser has very patiently shown me techniques for finger drying it straight and I have to say I'm loving my new look. I'm getting loads of compliments and I'm told I look younger. I'd like a bit more length but I'm considering keeping my new look.

My partner of 12 years proposed whilst we were away so we are off to Manchester this weekend to a place where you can custom design rings so I'm very excited.

So I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Take care

Love and hugs, Sue xx

Thanks Tarnia, you have a wonderful time in Tenerife too! In the meantime we can all enjoy the sunshine here! ☀️☀️☀️

Hi Cat,

Brilliant news that your mammogram was all good 👍 and what better way to celebrate than a week away. Have a fantastic time. 😎☀️🍹

Tarnia 

Thanks Jude. No phone call today so in the clear...yeayy! 😀 So lovely to have holidays to look forward to isn’t it 😎

Hi Cat

Good to hear you are doing well

Fingers crossed for your mammogram results, it is a bit unsettling waiting for the phone / letter.

Madeira is lovely, we went a couple of years ago & really enjoyed it - Majorca is always fun with the girls!

I've got Santorini in September, can’t wait!

Jude x

Hi Ladies, 

Jude & Tarnia, well done for raising so much money! 👍

Glad you had a lovely time away Jude, we have family in that neck of the woods, love it up there. 

My anniversary was last month and it does bring everything flooding back doesn’t it, what a year we’ve all been through, but here we are, out the other side and doing well! 🤗

I had my first mammogram 9 days ago and they said they would phone within 10 days if I was to be called back in (no phone calls so far!) otherwise I will get a letter in 4 weeks. 

My hair is growing slowly but surely but I’m considering keeping it short for a while....will see. Jude thick hair is a nice problem to have! 😀

Tarnia, It’s so nice to have a holiday to look forward to. I’m spoiling myself this year, I’m  off to Madeira with OH in a week and then back for a few weeks and off to Majorca with some girlfriends 🙊😎

Take care all 😘

Hi Tarnia

Well done on raising the money / that’s a fabulous amount!

The annual memories are a bit tough but we’ve all done really well so should take some comfort from that

My hair is still shocking, not much length but really thick - I had to have it thinned out yesterday! I do miss my bob...

Jude x

Hi Jude

Sounds like a perfectly few days! 

Well done on raising £119 that’s fantastic 👍🏽 

Me and my daughter did race for life a couple of Weeks ago and between us we raised nearly £500 was such a lovely day too. 

Was a year ago yesterday I had my formal cancer diagnosis which brought  back not so very nice memories 😩 

I’m looking forward to our next holiday in 2 weeks time to Tenerife a bit of sun and relaxation just what’s needed.  

How’s everyone’s hair doing? Mine is growing thick and fast but still very very curly 🤨

Take care

Tarnia

Hi Ladies

Hope you are all ok

We had a few days in Glasgow & Edinburgh last week & I really enjoyed it, managed to pace myself well with lots of stops for food & drinks! 

Did an afternoon tea today for a few friends which went well & made £119 for breast cancer so I’m really pleased 

Take care

Jude x

Thanks Jo & Sue 😀

Hopefully the sun will work miracles Sue! 

I’ve had my hair coloured again today & gone for lilac tone to it! x

Excellent news Jude . Fingers crossed for the rest of us when our time comes.

My hair is also really curly around the forehead hairline - my poor excuse of a fringe curls under regardless of what I do and the bit immediately behind it curls backwards so I'm left with a really weird looking gap. I'm hoping the heat and sunshine I'll be exposed to (hopefully)on  my holiday in July will encourage it to grow 6inches in 2 weeks 🤣🤣

Sue xxx

Great news Jude.

Enjoy the weekend.

jo x

It is, a big relief Caz x

Excellent news Jude - it's an amazing feeling isn't it?!! Xx

I certainly will - & maybe next weekend as well! x

Hi Jude, 

That is fantastic news. So pleased for you. I hope you will be celebrating this weekend! 🍾

Cat 😘

Good news ladies - my mammogram was all clear - feeling relieved 😅 

love to all x

Hi Ladies, 

Looking good Tarnia and Jude! Tarnia, your hair seems to have grown loads and Jude yours is growing too! Mine is also very similar to yours Jude, I just haven’t go quite as much as you at the back yet. I’m having it tinted for the third time next week...hoping to go even blonder 😀

I hope everyone enjoys the gorgeous sunshine over the next few days....it’s going to be a scorcher of a weekend 😎

Take care, Cat xxx

Jo - mine is the same, there’s hardly any length but it is getting thicker by the week, especially on top!

I can’t wait for it to get some length which will hopefully pull the curl out🤞 x

Hi all,

Liking the stories about hair!

Jude, your hair is almost identical to mine......well if you changed the colour to dark brown 😀 but the style and curl is exactly the same.

Tarnia, yours looks really long and thick, well done.

I must add it i was really worried that mine wouldn’t come back, it took ages to come through and even now it doesn’t seem to get any longer, just thicker and more out of control. It’s still really soft though but darker than before and definitely curlier than before! 

Take care all.

jo x

Very true Tarnia 🙏 x

Jude your hair looks great to me!! Coming along nicely and looks like it’s going to be as curly as mine! I guess we should be grateful our hair is growing, so many people have trouble after chemo 😢 xx

Your hair looks loads better than mine Tarnia AEB98C0E-4C0E-489B-900D-8C79F44EEC17.jpeg

1F162D6F-AF42-4B9B-B3D4-8C241289C425.jpeg

1249786A-A890-49FF-BB1D-4234526E9F9E.jpegThis is the back of my hair!! Bearing in mind I’ve always had dead straight hair prior to chemo 🤨 x

Hi ladies,

Just been reading all your posts about hair! 

Mine is still very poodley at the back but not so much on top and I don’t know if it’s wishful thinking but I’m sure it’s coming through straight again on top but still very curly on the ends! This weather does me no favours either I’m just one big frizz at the moment 😂😂. I bought some travel straighteners which don’t get too hot and are just the right size for shorter hair. Only cost 14.99 from Argos too. I currently don’t know what I’d do without them although I leave the back curly or it looks like I’ve had an old ladies shampoo and set 🙄 I also use Tresemme anti frizz and heat spray by the bucket load!! 

Love Tarnia xx

😂 I know the feeling! X

Cat - I’m always scared that I’ll look like an older lady with a bubble perm, so I keep trying to use a side parting & sweep it over a little but it’s not a good look x 😂

Hi Jude,

Same, my hairline at the front is the curliest part too.

Some times I go for the softer 'au naturale' look and others a straightened more spiky look. 

Cat x

Hi Cat

The mini ghds sound a brill idea - think I’ll have to invest in some. My hairline in particular is very tight curls, so if I can straighten that area it would be great

Jude x

Hi Ladies, 

just back from hols and catching up on your news. 

Caz, fabulous news about your clear mammogram results, what a great feeling that must be! 

Jo, I was the same as you, had my infusion in chemo unit and felt very emotional, had to fight back the tears! 

Sue, well done on raising all that money for Cancer research and for ditching the wig! 

Tarnia, not sure what the weather was like but hope you had a lovely time in Bude. 

Sue and Jude, I may try the V05 putty too. I think it’s trial and error to see what works best for your hair type/length. My hair is very curly, although it was curly before so no real surprise there 😂, but much easier to manage long curly hair than short curly hair it turns out! 😆 I’m using a wax on my hair, very tacky on the hands but feels okay in hair. A friend recommended it, it’s called dfi d.struct and brought it off Amazon. Also brought some mini ghd’s (designed for short hair) as hair is just about long enough to use them but will limit use as don’t want to ruin the condition of my hair. Any other top tips on managing short curly hair welcomed! 

Take care all! Cat 😘