327549posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2018 Chemo starters

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Sue

Well done on your final chemo, it’s a lovely feeling isn’t it! Hope the side effects are minimal, I’ve tiredness to have been the biggest issue thus last cycle.
The holiday in Austria sounds idyllic, the winter walking sounds fabulous
Good luck with the radiotherapy, it sounds like you are all equipped for it - I start mine on the 4th but luckily should be finished on the 24th

Hope everyone else is ok

Jude x

Hi Sue,
Thanks and yes I’m sure it’s best to build up my strength for the final 3 sessions. Won’t be long before I’m ringing the bell too!
Take care, Cat 🤗

Sorry to hear about your hosp stay Cat - not what any of us want. I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly and be ok to go ahead next week. I ended up having a weeks delay at round 4 as my liver was rebelling but the weeks delay allowed things to recover.

Rest up and fingers crossed for next week

Sue

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I haven't posted for a while either.

I'm not long home from a 4 day stay in hospital. Temp spiked, low BP and Nuets etc. Feeling okay now but chemo has been delayed this week (I was due in today). Hey ho, fingers crossed I can get back on track next week.

Sue and Amanda,

Congratulations! You've got to the end of the very long chemo road, it must feel great. Happy celebrations! 

Sue - the winter walking in Austria sounds like fabulous fun.

Tarnia - I have a constant sore and runny nose but haven't suffered so much with runny eyes despite having lost 95% of my lashes. Sounds like it's one more of the many SEs we have to put up with. Thank goodness they are temporary eh!

Good luck to everyone elso who is still going through treatment.

Take care all

Cat Xxx

Hello All

Hope you are all doing ok. I haven't posted for a while as I've just been keeping my head down as I plow through this. However I'm really happy to say that I had my final chemo yesterday and had a huge grin on my face as I rang that bell. It was such a good feeling to know that part of treatment (apart from resulting side effects) is now behind me.

I've got my radiotherapy appt early Dec and after attending an open evening session last week to look around the department and meet staff I'm expecting to start radiotherapy mid Dec which means I'll be going over the Christmas period (boo) but at least traffic will be light (hurrah) my partner will be able to take me to those appointments (double hurrah) and I should be finished with it all early in January (AFA). We've booked a holiday to our favourite part of Austria for early March - a bit later in the year than we usually go but we are hoping the snow will still be there. We do this thing called 'winter walking' - you walk on compacted snowy paths through forests and along side lakes. It's amazing - fresh air, amazing scenery and plenty of mountain huts for hot chocolate, cheesy spätzle and kaiserscharrem stops. I'm not sure I'll be able to do the usual 10 mile days we rack up but I'll do my best.

Interestingly I've been told by a few sources at the hospital that accupuncture can be good at helping with hot flushes and other menopausal symptoms so I'm going to give it a go. I'm also experimenting with the Ladycare magnet - I'm still a bit sceptical about this but it has around 70% postive reviews so I'm giving it ago - fed up of restless nights and waking up soggy and damp.

So good look to those of you still having chemo - hopefully you won't have to endure this for too much longer - the end is insight. And I guess at some point we'll be switching from comparing chemo SE stories and tips for coping to radiotherapy stories - I've been told to get plenty of moisturising cream and to start using it now as well as switching to a deodorant that doesn't have aluminium in it. I'm using E45 lotion all over with a double dose on the affected boob and some soft & gentle deodorant!

Happy Friday everyone 😘🤗😘

Sue xx

Hi Tarnia,

Yes runny eyes for me, as well and a runny nose! As like you worse when I go out. My nose just constantly runs- spoke to Onc about it and he didn’t really come up with anything.....just another SE! 

Good luck

jo

Hi Jude

It’s driving me mad! But eh ho just another annoying side effect🙄 Can’t wait to finish now think iv3 had enough of thi# chemo malarkey now!

Take care.

Tarnia

Hi Tarnia

Yes I’ve had runny eyes after docetaxol - the only thing I’ve found helps is wearing sunglasses when I go outside. The lack of eyelashes also contributes to the problem
Sorry can’t suggest anything else which may help

Take care

Jude x

Hello Ladies
Hope everyone is doing well. I’m just wondering if anyone else has suffered from extremely runny eyes on Docetaxel? I’ve had 2 rounds so far and this time round my eyes are streaming especially when I go outside! Anyone else suffered from this or have any tips?

thanks
Tarnia

Hello Ladies

Hope everyone is doing well. I’m just wondering if anyone else has suffered from extremely runny eyes on Docetaxel? I’ve had 2 rounds so far and this time round my eyes are streaming especially when I go outside! Anyone else suffered from this or have any tips?

thanks

Tarnia

So good to hear you’ve finished Chemo Amanda! I can’t wait for 30/11 which will be my last FEC-T woohoo cant wait. I too think it’s gone so fast. For me I have more Surgery on 27/12 as one of my margins was Close so for me radiotherapy won’t start til the new year, but the end is creeping ever closer for us all! Hopefully a happier 2019 lies in store for us all.

Big hugs to everyone
Tarnia x

Hi Amanda

Well done on completing your chemo - it’s a lovely feeling to think that you don’t have to go again! Good luck with the radiotherapy, I hope it’s not too tiring for you with all the travel.
I have to say that to me the chemo has dragged - it’s been the longest few months of my life!

Take care

Jude x

Hello ladies-not written on here for a while but have been keeping up with all your progress you brave ladies and some of you have certainly been through the mill!!!

I rang the bell in chemo unit yesterday after X6 FEC-T. Not been the easiest few months have to say and at the beginning of August that last date seemed way off...... It goes remarkably quickly doesn't it?  Been in a bit of a chemo blur all the way through which could probably be partly to do with it, as well as in built coping mechanisms!

Have 20 radiotherapy appointments starting 12th December (80 mile round trip) but small problem in the grand scheme of things.

wishing you all a speedy recovery- the end of treatment is in sight and we will be glad to see the new year!!

Best wishes

love Amanda X

😂 Thanks Jude! Cat x

*step of the way 😂

Cheers Cat - we are with you every set of the way - big love - jude x

Hi Jo and Jude,
Fantastic that you’ve both reached the end of the chemotherapy road! Well done....it’s a tough road and you’ve done it! 👍
Good luck to everyone else still going through treatment....it will be our trun to celebrate soon 😀
Take care all
Cat x

Hi Jo

Well done, it’s a tough gig this chemo malarkey, after the first cycle it’s hard to think how you are going to get through it! I hope you rung the 🔔. Good news on your radiotherapy dates, I know it’s creeping over Christmas but you’ll be fine

i had my last T today, just got the pesky side effects to get through! We don’t have a 🔔 on our chemo ward so the nurses ring a bell on their iPhone! Bless them, lots of hugs & well wishes all round.

Hope all you other ladies are doing ok

jude x

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your good wishes with my last Chemo treatment- all now completed YEAH...I can’t believe i have got through it all. I remember my first FEC treatment and spending the first night being sick every couple of hours and saying that I couldn’t get through it all....but here I am! 

I have aplanning meeting for radiotherapy therapy on Tuesday 20th and then I start treatment on the 3rd Dec. I have been told that I will have 4weeks worth. 3 weeks plus an extra week to give me an extra zap! I also have a bone strengthening infusion planed for the 4th Dec. Unfortunately the radio will be going on over Christmas but luckily they don’t have appointments on Christmas or Boxing Day, so that is a nice relief!

Hope everyone gets on ok with the rest of your treatment

Jo xx

Definitely Cat - & for the first time ever we are eating out at a restaurant for Christmas day lunch - so double bubble x

Hi Jude,
All done by 24th December....now that’s the best Xmas present! 🎁
Cat x

Hi Cat

Well done on your recent T, the tiredness is cumulative according to my onc, so take it easy - hopefully you won’t have any other side effects 😁
Blood tests were ok so I’m on for my last T tomorrow - hurrah.

I hadn’t had confirmation of my radiotherapy dates so today I phoned my breast care nurse who has sorted, I’ve my planning appointment this Friday 16th & then 15 days of treatment starting Tuesday 4th Dec to Monday 24th December, so all done for christmas!

Jo - hope final T went well today 🔔 & you don’t suffer too much with side effects. Have you got radiotherapy to follow?

Hope all you other lovely ladies are doing ok,

take care 

Jude x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

One more T ticked off on Friday. I have been so so tired since, more so than I’ve ever been before. Probably just the cumulative effect, it’s been a long road but just 4 more T sessions to go! 😀

Jo, congrats on your final T today! Must be a great feeling 👍

Jude, good luck for your final session tomorrow, you’re neatly there! 😀

Tarnia, good to hear your sessions are progressing well too.

Wishing you all a good week. Take care everyone.

Cat 😘

Hi Jo

Good luck with your final T on Monday. Sounds like you’re doing really well. I’m going for my second T tomorrow and so far been coping quite well ....no fatigue at all just hope it continues.

i haven’t heard of the trial you’ve been offered however I’m triple negative and I’ve been offered one talking low dose aspirin. I guess they have trials going on all the time for all the various sub groups. 

Good luck to everyone going for another round of chemo! Nearly at the end point 😏

Tarnia

Hi Ladies

Hope you are all ok

Cat - good news that the infection is responding well!
Jo - good luck with final T, hope all goes well. My oncologist said that the tiredness & side effects are cumulative so dig deep, I’m sure that the thought that it’s the last cycle will help 😀
Sorry I don’t know anything about the monarchE trial as I’m hr- & her2+ - good luck with your decision - and you Sally

This week other than being tired I have felt more normal - whatever normal is nowadays 😂 - so roll on my last T next week

Take care all

Jude x

Hi Sunflower, I'm from June thread. I've also been asked about that trial and am seeing ONC shortly so I'll let you know what they say.

Hi all,

Just returned from my onc appt and if bloods are ok, I’m set  for my final T on Monday.  Discussed SE and I’m still on 100% dosage as they didn’t feel it was necessary to reduce it down. Although tiredness this time round is quite hard, really feeling it and I’m sure it will be worse next time round.

Finally have got my radio dates and I start 4weeks of radiotherapy on 3rd Dec so hopefully finish the first week of Jan! I will also need Bone strengthening injections but need a dental check up first as it can apparently cause issues with jaw/teeth. Initially I was due to start tamoxifen for my hormone treatment but they are now recommending letrozole as my blood tests show I am post menopausal which I was quite surprised about!

I was also asked about taking part in a trial called monarchE - it’s a licensed drug that is being used for advanced BC and they want to see if it has any benefits in preventing recurrence in early BC which is Hormone receptor +ve and HER2 -ve.  Has anyone else been invited to take part?

Anyway, hope everyone is doing ok.

jo x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Thanks Jude and Tarnia, I was back at hospital today and infection is clearing up well.

Jude, great news that you’re finishing next week....chemo is a long hard road so I hope you’ll be celebrating getting to the end! 😃

Take care everyone

Cat x

Hi Ladies

Hope you are all ok

Tarnia - good luck with your next cycle, hope it all goes ok
Cat - hope your infection clears up quickly with the antibiotics & you are back on track!
My last docetaxel is Tuesday 13th - so nearly there, I can’t wait for it to finish - it’s been the longest few months of my life!

Take care

Jude x

Hi Cat
Thank you. Hope your infection clears up quickly too. Like you not long to go.....that end date is in sight! !
Take care
Tarnia x

Hi Tarnia,
Didn’t see your response before I sent mine....best of luck for your second dose of Docetetaxol next week! 👍
Cat x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I hope you're all keeping well.

I had my 4th session of Paclitaxol on Friday....just 5 more to go! I had developed a reaction/infection around my PICC line so they made a decision to remove it immediately and put me on antibiotics for 7 days. Not to worry, only a few weeks left!

Georgie - so pleased to hear that you are safely home. Sounds like it's the right time to take a break and prepare for radiotherapy. You've been through a lot and are doing great!

Multitasker - I'm on weekly Paclitaxol and the plan is to reduce the amount of steroids as the weeks progress but so far I haven't noticed any difference. My sleep is disturbed for a few days and my appetite is also increased.

Jude - you must be coming close to the end of your chemo journey? 

Take care all

Cat x

Hi

I too have trouble sleeping whilst taking steroids 🙄 I find myself getting up in the middle of the night to watch tv or read! I don’t feel tired during the day though I just keep going. Sleep returns to normal a couple or so days after I stop taking them. Not sure you can reduce the amount of steroids you take whilst on Docetaxel as you are more likely to have an allergic reaction to this chemo or so my oncologist said!! 

Im due to have my second dose of Docetaxel on Friday....wish me luck 😫

Hope everyone else is doing well x

Hi Multitasker

I have the same problem with the steroids - I barely sleep for the 3 days that I take them but don’t have much extra energy in the daytime. However once I stop taking them I am then totally exhausted & could sleep at any time of day!
Sorry I can’t offer any advice about reducing them other than to discuss with your breast care nurse initially, who may be able to advise/liaise with your oncologist
Hope you can get a resolution

Jude x

Hi folks

Havent been on for a while. Just trying to keep my s**t together, this treatment is so brutal physically and emotionally.

I had my first dose of Docetaxel 8 days ago. Previously 4 cycles of EC which I hated due to intense nausea for 24/36 hours and feeling broken for the week after. Amazing how different the chemo drugs are.

Thanks for the great tips for SEs, immediately got bad oral thrush and using nystatin and your pearls of wisdom.

My question regards the steroids given before and during treatment. I find they really disturb my sleep at a time when I crave and need it so desperately. I take the second does around lunchtime as recommended but I am still so wired I only sleep for a few hours. I do not get any extra energy or appetite other people mention. The effects seem to take days to leave my system or maybe my body clock gets into a bad pattern.

Has anyone successfully reduced the level of steroids they take and did this help lessen imsomnia?

Hi Georgie
Pleased you finally got home!
You’ve had such a bad reaction to the chemo each time, which to my mind means that the chemo that you’ve had has been working & doing its job. So while you may not have had the agreed quota it’s not worth putting your body through anymore.
Like you say the radiotherapy is now important just to catch any stray cells in the immediate area
Time for you to rest up & build your strength up again!
Take care

Jude x

Sorry my post appeared twice!  

I copied and pasted it but it didn't paste, or so I thought, last night. 

G G xx

Good evening everyone,

Im sorry that it has taken me a day to get back to you all and report on my meeting with my oncologist.

I am just getting my head around it all, and have been catching up with rest today at home.

When i I left the ward yesterday morning, I was surprised when the nurses said that they were not 100% sure that I was being discharged, but all seemed ok so I did go home after my onc appointment with my lovely daughter. We ordered pizza as requested, and enjoyed our afternoon.

As soon as we entered the consultation room, my oncologist waited for us to settle, and then said that she had made the decision to stop my chemotherapy altogether. I was shocked, and then actually very relieved, as I was thinking that I would have to negotiate my options going forward. She actually said that she felt that chemotherapy was actually more life threatening to me than the cancer, given my body's reaction. I have had 3 bouts of sepsis after 3 FEC and 1 x 75% T. I do not know whether my views will change further down the line, depending on what could happen in terms of recurrence or secondary ca.

I will still have herceptin for a year, bone protection for 3 years and 3 weeks of radiotherapy.

I had previously been quite worried about radiotherapy, but after the consultant explained more about the accuracy of the treatment, and measures taken to avoid heart damage (I had left sided BC), I am a bit more reassured. With an incomplete chemo course, I am also more of the opinion that I need to have RT. I have no hormone involvement either, so that means there is not anything like tamoxifen that they can throw at the cancer.

I would be be interested to hear what other ladies think about this; to be honest, I feel that I have got away lightly compared to many of you. My surgery has been completed, and I do not have to consider reconstruction or anything.

It is so good to be home now, and I thank you all very much for your support and humour whilst I was in hospital.

Bye for now

Georgie Gee xxx

Good evening everyone,

Im sorry that it has taken me a day to get back to you all and report on my meeting with my oncologist.

I am just getting my head around it all, and have been catching up with rest today at home.

When i I left the ward yesterday morning, I was surprised when the nurses said that they were not 100% sure that I was being discharged, but all seemed ok so I did go home after my onc appointment with my lovely daughter. We ordered pizza as requested, and enjoyed our afternoon.

As soon as we entered the consultation room, my oncologist waited for us to settle, and then said that she had made the decision to stop my chemotherapy altogether. I was shocked, and then actually very relieved, as I was thinking that I would have to negotiate my options going forward. She actually said that she felt that chemotherapy was actually more life threatening to me than the cancer, given my body's reaction. I have had 3 bouts of sepsis after 3 FEC and 1 x 75% T. I do not know whether my views will change further down the line, depending on what could happen in terms of recurrence or secondary ca.

I will still have herceptin for a year, bone protection for 3 years and 3 weeks of radiotherapy.

I had previously been quite worried about radiotherapy, but after the consultant explained more about the accuracy of the treatment, and measures taken to avoid heart damage (I had left sided BC), I am a bit more reassured. With an incomplete chemo course, I am also more of the opinion that I need to have RT. I have no hormone involvement either, so that means there is not anything like tamoxifen that they can throw at the cancer.

I would be be interested to hear what other ladies think about this; to be honest, I feel that I have got away lightly compared to many of you. My surgery has been completed, and I do not have to consider reconstruction or anything.

It is so good to be home now, and I thank you all very much for your support and humour whilst I was in hospital.

Bye for now

Georgie Gee xxx

Hi Georgie

Hope you get home tomorrow & enjoy celebrating your daughters birthday + good luck for your meeting with the oncologist!
There’s no place like home!

Take care all

Jude x

Hi Georgie,
Naughtyphils is right! Glad to hear you’re starting to get better and will be going home tomorrow to enjoy your daughters birthday......bet you can’t wait after such a long stint in hospital! Good luck with the Oncologist, hope you get your treatment back on track.
Take care all
Cat 😘

Hi Ladies, 

I have been here in hospital since last Tuesday evening.  I've been on the June thread a little, but not updated on this one.  

The neutrophils count this time started very very low but has come up since, however they have kept me in for a full week of IV antibiotics to make sure the sepsis is gone.  I've decided to call neutrophils "naughtyphils". We are clearly not playing nicely together with the chemo.  I have been told I can go home after Wednesday's antibiotics. 

I had a meeting with my oncologist planned, just so happens to be Wednesday.  My daughter has her birthday the same day, and we had planned a nice day together.  Now we will be spending the morning here and are aiming for lunch at home. How lovely that will be🏠! 

Its good to to be able to come on here and June thread too, where everyone's support has been great.

Thank you ! 

Georgie Gee 😘

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I hope you’re all keeping well!

Cdc - welcome to the August forum! I’m also on weekly Paclitaxol, I had my 3rd of 9 sessions on Friday. So far feeling okay. Main SEs for me are; flushed face for 1 day, sore nose/mild bleeding, mouth ulcers, heartburn, constipation, a few aches and pains and some tiredness, but nothing too bad. Not had numb toes as yet.

Jude, Jo, Tarnia & Ktk - hope your SEs are being kind and not getting you down. Jo I haven’t experienced a dry cough.

Take care everyone!

Cat
🤗😘🤗

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing ok.

A quick question- has anyone experience an annoying dry cough, esp at night and in the morning?

It started a couple of days after T and disappears during the day.

Temp is ok.

Thanks

jo

Hi Cdc,

I had my second T cycle last Monday and have been extremely tired. I also had quite bad facial flushing on the first round, which lasted several days and caused some swelling around eyes. I was advised to take Piriton as it was a “common reaction” to T.

Still on the full dosage as most of my SEs only lasted the first week - onc felt I could take the full dose again!

Final round(hopefully) on 12 Nov.

jo x

Thanks for your reply Jude, You’ve reminded me that my oncologist warned me that even on weekly Paclitaxel I would still get side effects and they would be accumulative, I think because I had a week’s break I temporarily felt better and forgot how lousy the chemo can make me feel! Oh well roll on December. I had an extremely sore mouth on AC and was recommended something called Daktarin gel. (Not the stuff you put on your feet I hasten to add!). It worked for me but I think the salt water mouth washes were the most effective in reducing sore mouth issues. I would gargle with some salt in warm water after each meal. I’m glad you’ve found the Diflam works for you,
Do hope that the runs clear up soon! I was shocked when I had them today as I usually have the other! Hoping it was a one off.

Hope you can have a restful evening.

Hugs xx

Hi Cdc
Sorry to hear of your treatment delays, it’s a pain when you have a finish line to aim for at the start.
I’ve had some tingling in my fingers but not too problematic & my toes have been ok. I’ve only had 75% of T this cycle as I had a bad reaction last time.
I had a little bit of facial flushing for the first 24 hours but being ok since
Sounds like you’ve had a tough time already re ops, hope your mx goes well in the New Year
Take care

Jude x

Hi Tarnia
I had T last Tuesday & my taste buds have gone today! The inside of my mouth is also a tad swollen so I’m expecting some ulcers where I keep catching areas. I have got some good mouthwash - diflam - so will start using that today
Take care
Jude x

Hi Jo & K

I have to say the tiredness is quite overwhelming - my oncologist says it’s cumulative so the last cycle could be heavy! I’m still suffering with the runs but hopefully it will start to ease soon

Take care all

Jude x

Hi everyone I’m usually on the June thread but I was originally on 4AC then 4T so finishing later than some of those having 3FEC-3T. I’ve also had some delays which means I have a similar amount of treatments left as some on this thread I believe.. After my first docetaxol I had hand/foot syndrome and had to wait for it to clear up before being put on to weekly Paclitaxel instead. After my 2nd Paclitaxel I had some peripheral neuropathy in my toes and the balls of my feet so had another weeks delay. Thankfully the feeling returned somewhat and I was allowed to have my 3rd chemo at an 80% dose on Friday. Has anyone else had issues with numb toes? My fingers are feeling slightly tingly today too. I’ve now been given a chemo end date mid-December as long as I have no more problems with skin or nerve damage. It’s all feeling like a bit of a slog. I’ve been told I am very sensitive to the ‘taxane’ part of treatment and may have to come off it altogether. I hope you won’t mind me joining you on here from time to time to share experiences/support. . I have also had facial flushing but this goes down around 24 hours after each dose, I am feeling very tired today so think the fatigue maybe setting in, I thought having only 80% of the dose might minimise it but I’ve been forced to retire to my bed today. I often had constipation on the AC and T drugs but have had diarrhoea today which was a total surprise. Just wondering if it’s the Paclitaxel? I’ve been very lucky in other respects as my bloods have been ‘within an acceptable range’ each cycle so far so hope that will continue. ’
I’m Er+ 8/8 but HER- I have bilateral BC and had a therapeutic mammoplasty in May then a further re-excision on the right which unfortunately found more cancer cells. My chemo is neo-adjuvant and I will have a mastectomy in the New Year.

I hope everyone is faring ok. Georgie Gee Sorry you’re back in hospital. I do so hope your medical team have found something to help your swallowing problems and you are feeling better.

Take care everyone x