Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2020: starting chemo.

160 REPLIES 160
Highlighted

Re: August 2020: starting chemo.

Amy,

Ive has the lightheaded ness too. It’s made it difficult to drive and When I’m outside I worry I’ll lose my balance. I tend to give in to it and have a lie down or a sleep in the early days after chemo.

I also have reflux and take lanzoprozole which takes a few days to help. This is on EC. I know from previous experience that Doxetaxol can cause bad digestive issues too.

Im getting chemo 3 today with Zometa. Is anyone else getting Zometa? I had an early stage BC with no lymph involvement but high oncotype score. The Zometa is to prevent bone metastasis.

Highlighted

Hi. Hows everyone getting on? Im on day 8 of round 3 chemo now. Ive been feeling unwell for the last few days. Just not right, light headed, shaky and not really being able to concentrate very well. Its the worst 1st few days ive had so far on chemo! But im halfway there now. Im seeing my consultant/ surgeon today so hopefully i can talk to him properly about the op. Does anyone else suffer with bad acid reflux? My oncologst has given me a capsule to take each day but it only works for an hour then it returns! I hope you're all doing ok with your journeys too

Highlighted

Hi Renpen,

I’m not sure if I’m on the same injection as you (Filgrastim) but I definitely feel they contribute to my nausea. 2 days after I finish them I start to feel better. I also get bad heartburn/ reflux and have had to moderate my diet. Drinking anything is difficulty: fruit juice is too acidic, can no longer drink tea and water makes me feel sick. I can just about manage very diluted apple juice. This will sound mad, but I now inject into my thigh rather than stomach and 2nd time round I didn’t get the headaches I got the first time. It may be totally coincidental. I’ve recently switched to a really bland diet with white bread etc. This is to counteract the diarrhoea caused by huge dose of 2 strong antibiotics I’m on for mastectomy cellulitis. It has worked! Hopefully it’ll help with reflux. I’m also supplementing with probiotic yoghurts for gut health.

I got my first wig from a local nhs supplier but it really wasn’t what I wanted and I will never wear it. I ordered 2 from simply wigs and kept 1 which I’m pleased with. Their returns process was easy and Ive received my refund (you have to pay return postage). I also cold capped but have very little hair left. It is still coming out so I think, for me, the cold cap has only delayed hair loss. I’m going to persevere in the hope it’ll have protected the follicles a little and regrowth will happen sooner.

Weirdly, I’ve also just order loads of bulbs with the same aim as you. Dreaming of a beautiful display in spring.

After a 2 week delay due to infection and 6 days in hospital I’m hoping I get chemo 3 on Thursday along with 1st Zometa. Dreading it but also wanting to bring it on in equal measures. It’ll be my last EC before stating Doxetaxol.

Wishing everyone having scans and surgery etc the very best of luck. Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Everyone 

I’m now day 13 after 2nd cycle, feeling much better and determined to get control next cycle as best I can. I have some questions:

Does anyone else have the Zarzio injections and feel that these are what wipes you out? I’ve been reading about people using antihistamines to reduce the reaction. I’m going to ask my onc but wondering if anyone has any experience?

Im getting a really 'toxic' reaction in my stomach, I guess it’s stomach acid. I take omeprazole and gaviscon. Any other suggestions for this?

Also, has anyone found a decent online wig supplier. Despite cold capping it looks like I need to splash out and buy one but all the local suppliers are closed due to Covid so I’m going to have to risk buying online. Ideally I think I want a topper for now as I still have quite a bit of hair.

Its so confidence building to know that despite being so low for a week, I can bounce back to normal (ish) and I’m hoping now to manage the lows better.

in other news I have ordered 100 spring bulbs ( I am really not a gardener!). My plan is that when the flowers come up in the spring the worst of this will be over and the flowers will represent my new (hair) growth!!!

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sarah 👍 some nice statement necklaces too 👍 I was a wig girl all the way, when I tried a scarf of a turban instead of looking fabulous and chic I looked like spare out of carry on up the kybhur 🙄 not quite what I visioned so hit the wig buying on amazon 👍tinsel bobs for Christmas, coloured bobs just because I could 😁 I had to try and keep happy when chemo too my hair, and remembered it’s only temporary and my hair would grow back 👍 red dot lush shampoo bar called new and extra dark Jamaican black castor oil on bonce when treatments finished (tips given by lovely people) and worked well 👍 there is a girl on you tube who has alopecia who does good makeup tutorials if you’ve been unauti get to look good feel better because of Covid 👍 she does great eyes and brows 👍💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Thanks Shi. I have to say I don't hate the look, definitely looking forward to playing with some strong lipstick shades 😁

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sarah a silk pillow case will help scalp during the night ❤️ Beauty despite cancer do good scalp care kit, might be worth a look 😘 it’s your choice if you want to take rest off rather than having patches but with being grade 2 now it’s not as noticeable, but do what you want and what’s right for you, get a bit of make up on 😘 bet you are amazed how big and beautiful your eyes are looking with your shorter hair ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Hope you're all doing well. Wondered if I could ask some advice from those of you have taken the plunge with shaving your heads. I'm a week after my second EC session, and after developing a bald patch on the back of my head decided to shave it all off. I've gone for a number 2 for the moment and am wondering if anyone has any hair/scalp care tips? 

xx

Highlighted

Hi tara. Really sorry for the late reply! I had round 3 of chemo yesterday and wasn't feeling too good. Ended up in bed for the rest of the day. I think in regards to surgery its fear of the unknown. And you're right, its only hours (which hopefully we don't know about!) compared to the months of chemo we have to go through. Ive never had an op before so im just imagining everything that can go wrong will go wrong lol. Im scared i will wake up during the op or not at all. But i know it has to be done. Thanks for your lovely message. I hope you're getting on ok now

Highlighted
Community Champion

My name is Tara, not tartar. Sorry fat fingers x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Amy,

I’m Tatar’s, have jumped in from June chemo starters. I noticed you said you are nervous about the surgery you are due to have. I’m wanted to let you know that I felt exactly the same. Before my therapeutic mamoplasty I had never had an operation before. Not even a filling on my teeth. 

Although chemo had not been bad for me, not compared to the side effects others have had, I found surgery a walk in the park in comparison. I was nervous that I would wake up on the operating table. This did not happen, in fact I had a lovely sleep. I felt a little hung over for a day or two after, but think this was more to do with dehydration as I could not drink after 6:30am in the day of surgery. I know we are all different, but I feel you will be fine.

Good luck to you and all the other ladies having treatment.

Lots of love 💕 

Tara

Highlighted

Hi nicki. Thats brilliant news for you! And like you say, it makes it worth it now to go through chemo. I thought they would've booked me in for a scan too, but ive only got ultrasound and heart check up for now. I don't want another mri lol. It was the worst of the scans i had. Im getting different treatment from my 4th round too. I have to have it over 2 days. Bit nervous in case it makes me really ill. I need to stop myself thinking about the surgery. Im torturing myself with fear. But im seeing the surgeon on 1st october, so i might talk to him about my concerns. I don't envy them having me as a patient lol. I'll let you know how i get on tomorrow. The 2nd round hasn't been too bad so im hoping that means im getting more used to the chemo.

Highlighted

Hi Lucy

I think everyone must be different regarding progress because I had an MRI before starting treatment and another one following my 2nd round. My appt with onco this week fortunately was a bit of good news that my tumour was shrinking. I have another MRI following my 4th and final round of EC then move onto weekly treatments of a different drug. 

I try not to think too much about my tumour as I get overwhelmed but its obviously good to hear a bit of positive progress.

Hope you find out something soon.

Nicki x

Highlighted

Hi Amy

Good news on your tumour size 👍 👌 I too had some good news that my tumour is shrinking I had an Mri a week ago, so it feels at least you are going through all this for a reason!

I still have a way to go with my treatment, got my 3rd EC treatment on  Friday, then 1 more to go followed by 12 weekly treatments of something else...I cant even think about that stage yet. Then surgery to follow ..I can only cope with bite size thoughts of my treatment otherwise I get overwhelmed.

Good luck for tomorrow hope side effects are minimal.

Nicki x

Highlighted

Hi. Hows everyone getting on? Im starting my 3rd round of chemo on thursday, i'll be half way through. I had my tumours checked today and they're softer and smaller, im relieved the chemo is working. Ive been booked in for an ultrasound and my heart has to be checked again. Im really freaking out now about surgery, i know it will be end of this year/ early next year. Im such a worrier and ive never had an op before. Side effects haven't been too bad this round but just found i had a few extra ones! Very frustrating. And chocolate doesn't taste the same anymore, im gutted i can't really eat it now lol. Hope everyone is ok and getting on well with chemo well

Highlighted

Hi lucy. Im about to start my 3rd round of chemo this thursday. Im nearly half way through like you (and im freaking out lol) and my consultant did a check up on my tumours today. I thought they did them half way and at the end. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for yours. But the waiting is stressfull, i couldn't relax until i had been checked. But ive got to have an ultrasound soon too. Sorry to hear you're not feeling good. I haven't experienced the hyperness, but ive had a few strange side effects. I think we just learn as we go. I hope you get your results soon 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Renpen ❤️ Glad round 2 being bit kinder and you are managing better 👍 chemo really is like being on a rollercoaster you just have to hang on and keep 😁 even though you might be 😳try keeping 😁 break cycles down into weeks rather than the months left, it does help it go quicker 💪 you do what you have to do to get through chemo, little treats along the way help 👍❤️ You might not think so but you are doing great 👍❤️ You all are ❤️👍💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi Lucy

so sorry you are still waiting for test results. The waiting is as debilitating as the chemo I think.

my onc told me they would ct scan at midway point to give a progress update. I’m day 5 after my 2nd session today. Not quite as bad as last time as I’m managing the sores but still have the runs and am barely able to get up. My 80 year old mum has come to stay as my husband is away and I genuinely can’t manage on my own, which is sort of the blind leading the blind!Hoping that this will pass and maybe it might get easier as I get used to it. My last stinky chemo is in December which seems a mighty long time away!

good luck for your results, let Us know how you get on x

Highlighted

Hey all & sorry for the delay responding. thank you for the hair scarves tips - i've still not had the balls to go skin head but thinking that this will be sometime very soon. i'm on day 5 after 3rd EC round and felt worse than ever this last week. missing the hyperness i had initially must of been deluded thinking it would continue to be that easy.. the last biopsy came back inconclusive so to get another one to see if its on other side as well as initial diagnosis. seems to be taking forever. i got asked today when i would find out if the chemo is actually working or not.. does anyone know if theres a standard follow up check or is this something you just need to wait and see after the full chemo plan is complete? i'm almost half way through (crazy writing that time seems to of flown in) i'm worried that they will put me on more if biopsy doesnt come back clear. diagnosed in July and still waiting on results it seems never ending. xx

Highlighted

Sadly admitted to hospital for IV antibiotics so no gardening. Nice view though. 
Tara, Hope last chemo goes well. That’s great you are nearing the final hurdle (chemo wise anyway).

Im guessing Christmas is going to be very odd this year for all of us. Who knows how it will look. I’m just hoping for 1 family day with my grown up but still young kids.  As long as they behave themselves!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Marie,

sorry to hear that your chemo has been delayed. Fingers crossed it can go ahead next week so that you can spend time with your family at Christmas time. I think this is the most important thing fir all of us at the moment. I know I have my fingers crossed that I can have my final chemo next week. I am aiming to have all my treatment done and dusted by Christmas.

The weather has been lovely here, great if you enjoy gardening. Get out there whilst it’s still nice!

Hope everyone is feeling as well as they can today.

Love 💕 Tara xx

Highlighted

Wee update: I was due chemo 3 today but it’s been postponed. Looks like I’ve got an infection in mastectomy wound with cellulitis.

Feeling really scunnered as I kept voicing my concerns. On high dose of fluclox and it still looks the same. Hoping this only delays things briefly as I’m hoping to have chemo over by Christmas so I can see my children.

on the plus side, I’ll use this bonus week to get things done in garden. Halfway through cutting grass but having a wee break.

Good luck all x

Highlighted

Hi Renpen,

I saw those squeezy bottles. Am def going to get one. I hope your 2nd dose of chemo is easier on you. I’ve found it tough but have felt better from day 11/12 this time round. I actually felt almost normal yesterday ( day 14).

I think the injections are compounding the side effects for me as I feel better 2 days after they’ve stopped.

Fingers crossed for you. 
Maire x

Highlighted

Hi Marie

the list of things this chemo causes is never ending isn’t it! I do worry what sort of state I’m going to be in by December as I have failed to coped with the first blast so miserably.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I bought a 'travel bidet' from the amazing website. It’s basically a squeezy bottle with a nozzle that you use to squirt yourself clean. I find it really useful, I use slightly warm water and follow with moist toilet tissue. It’s just a bottle so probably a rip off at £10 but it does the job and I would definitely recommend it.

I'm on day 14 today and feel I’ve really turned a corner towards feeling a bit more human, but getting nervous already about the next blast. An old friend of mine says you have to think that chemo is your friend, it wants to make you better and I have to try to remember that and embrace it.

stay strong all xx 

Highlighted

Hi nicki. I was back in the hospital 6am yesterday morning, i really don't want another trip back there soon! My hair is still coming out too, but tiny little strands. But it feels so cold lol. I keep going light headed too and ive got terrible acid reflux today because of the amount of laxatives i had to take. Ive still got so much to learn about chemo and side effects lol. Yeah, my taste buds are changing too, certain foods don't taste the same anymore. Glad to hear you're ok and hope to hear from you soon

Highlighted

Hi Amy

Sorry to hear you had to go to hospital, glad you were ok tho.

Of course  I don't mind you asking about my hair and yes I did get it clipped to a number 2 and its mostly gone now....It was one of the worst experiences I had when it was falling out in handfuls but now getting used to this bald head I keep catching a glimpse of in the mirror. It is really weird not having hair to brush or straighten isn't it.

I don't feel too bad at the moment ...a little light headed and I have tender spots on my back and arms ...another weird thing happening! I also can't taste much at the moment either.

Hope you are ok xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Renpen,

glad to have been if some help.

Take care!

love 💕 Tara xx

Highlighted

Renpen, I’ve just read of your awful experience. What a really terrible time you’ve had. Your poor mouth.

Just before my chemo started I bought a sonic toothbrush and I really feel it has kept my mouth cleaner than my previous electric toothbrush. I also have been having the odd spoonful of Manuka honey for my digestive track and throat. No idea if any of those have helped but I’ve had no mouth problems. But then I’m on EC chemo so not the same regime. I also swill about my mouth with salt water from time to time. Last time I had chemo I couldn’t tolerate the mouthwashes.

When I was on doxetaxol last time I also found Heinz cream of tomato soup tolerable because of its viscose texture.

Ive also experiences bowel issues to the extent it is too sore to wipe. I’m planning on buying a wee portable bidet to help with hygiene and pain relief.

My current issue seems to be mild urinary incontinence. Just the occasional leak. But I’ve never experienced this, even after having 3 big babies! I’m going to mention at my next appointment.

Its so tough to go through this and I must admit I’m really beginning to wonder if it’s really all worth the impact on future health. I had no lymph nodes involved but will be getting Zometa as well as chemo and hormone therapy.  I’m at the point where I’m going to ask to have my other breast removed as a preventative measure. Never want to go through this again!

I hope you start to feel better soon, along with all going through this tough treatment, especially during this unrelenting pandemic.

Maire xxx

Highlighted

Hi Tara

thank you for the Vaseline recommendation! Definitely helped xx

Penny  💕 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Renpen,

it seems like you have had an awful time with side effects, I hope you are feeling more comfortable now.

I had a couple of the side effects you are describing when in FEC, although no where near as severe. In regards to the upset tummy I had this in the first cycle, not right away but in the second week. I rand the direct dial number right away and my husband had to go and get a sample bottle for me. Admittedly, I did have to wait a couple of days to see if I had an infection, but it was clear so could take immodium. It might be an idea to get into the number right away if you get the same symptoms next cycle.

I have just had my second cycle if Docetaxel and although I don’t have ulcers down below I did have some gnat bite like spots in between my legs first cycle. I found running Vaseline in them and sleeping with no clothes on helped. The air seemed to get to them and soothed the area. I had the same problem oN Friday night a day after my second round so did the same again and it has helped. Once again please ring your unit before giving it a go and see what their thoughts are. It’s all trial and error I find. If you have no luck you could always ring the nurse support line on this site for assistance.

Mouth ulcers are the worst. Again I have been quite lucky I have a sore mouth and have had oral thrush, but this was cleared up with antibiotics. 

All I would really say is keep in until you get things sorted. Don’t suffer and ask for a second opinion if you are not satisfied.

Hope everyone else is okay and not suffering too much. I bet most people are a third if the way through chemo now. You are all doing so well. Keep fighting, you will win the battle.

Take care all

Love 💕Tara xx

Highlighted

Hi nicki. I had a simular skin problem on my back too. I expected there to be a mark there or something but there was nothing, really weird! Im due to start the injections again tomorrow, ive got plenty of painkillers lol. I had to go to the hospital yesterday with my bowel problems. They said my stomach felt fine and done blood tests and another covid test! Theyve sent me home with laxatives but no luck so far. You're right, theres always new things to deal with on this journey. I forgot to ask, did you get your hair shaved off in the end? Hope you don't mind me asking. I find it really weird that i don"t need to dry or straighten mine anymore lol. Hope you're ok

Highlighted

Hi Amy 

Yes I am to on anti depressants so its another drug to add to my body and remember to take. Yes to the injections too, last time I was ok until day 6 of having them and then felt like I was having labour pains, they were horrendous!.

I too have problems with going to the loo unfortunately and my appetite isn't great either.

I also had a weird skin burning, tightening sensation just on my face yesterday, almost felt like sunburn and puffiness under 1 eye. They advised to take an anti histamine and it mostly went in the end, apart from under my eye. There always seems to be something new lol!

Highlighted

Hi Everyone
I'm now 10 days on from my first chemo including docetaxel and carboplatin. It’s been quite a week, although I don’t remember all of it I thought it might be useful to share some info in case anyone else has similar experiences.

i ended up being admitted to hospital on Wednesday night after sever diarrhoea and mouth sores left me dehydrated and really weak.

The mouth sores have been horrendous. The whole of the inside of my mouth was covered in ulcers and sores. If I fell asleep I had to peel my lips from my teeth. I couldn’t bear any food in my mouth and was struggling to drink. In the end what helped was a combination of difflam mouthwash and gel clear mouth rinse. The difflam is really astringent so I had to dilute it at first as it was so painful. I also bought an ultra soft toothbrush online, the baby ones I was trying to use were too sharp. And some aloe toothpaste made a difference too. When I started eating again the only things I could tolerate were soggy rice crispies, mashed potato, well cooked rice and jelly. Everything had to be left to go cold.i am slowly increasing this now but have lost nearly a stone in 10 days! The other thing that helped was liquid paracetamol instead of tablets, basically Calpol!

The diarrhoea was horrific, really acidic so it hurt a lot. With hindsight I should have started on Dioralyte straight away but I had expected to be constipated so I’d stocked up on laxatives and prune juice. When I started taking Imodium it seemed to make the stomach cramps terrible. At the hospital they gave me buscopan which helped a lot.

Eventually they identified that the stomach upset was actually a bacterial infection, probably caused by injecting faeces from organic salad that hadn’t been washed properly. I had been forcing myself to add spinach leafs to every meal ,thinking this would save mY life but it actually made me really ill.  So I was right about the Imodium, I needed to get a bug out of my system. If it hadn’t been for one of the nurses suggesting a stool sample they would have still been trying to block me up. 

The hospital visit wasn’t a  great experience. I’d been in the day before barely able to function and was dismissed by the dr who basically told me to expect to feel sh*t after chemo when I think it was fairly clear I needed a drip and some fluids at least.

if your end up going to hospital I would strongly recommend taking your own drugs with you. I was there for nearly 4 hours before I was given any pain relief, it took 3 hours to be seen by a doctor. If I’d had paracetamol and the mouthwash with me this would have really helped. In the night I waited 1.5 hours after requesting pain relief- it was only paracetamol so if I go in again I would self medicate, they said this is acceptable so long as they know. Also it was a problem that I didn’t have my injection with me.
there was a massive problem with the pharmacy at the hospital. They didn’t seem to have  supplies on the ward so I waited 3 hours for the mouthwash. When I was discharged they ordered supplies for me to take home. After 2.5 hours of waiting to leave I gave up on the hospital pharmacy and spoke to my GP who arranged an immediate prescription for me to pickup on my way home. I wish I’d thought of that sooner! My GP has also done a prescription exemption form for me which everyone who has cancer is entitled to, regardless of income etc.

My other recommendations for hospital would be: take some moist toilet tissue. The hospital stuff is fierce and there’s no option to shower etc. Keep some films etc downloaded  on your phone/ tablet just in case you need to go in..

I have also had to purchase suitable nightwear. Generally I don’t wear pjs. I managed to find a below knee length t shirt style nightie so I’ve ordered a few just in case.

I am now getting better every day, although if anyone has any advice about my current issue I’d be really grateful. Basically I have the same condition that I had in my mouth around my genital area. The skin is so raw that it bleeds when you touch it. They treated me for thrush initially, and my gp has given me a hydrocortisone cream but I think that just took the skin off and made it worse. I’m using sudocrem but it’s not doing much.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Stay strong everyone! I read about you all going through this with young children and I’m amazed at your strength. I honestly have been barely able to pour a glass of water this week, I haven’t prepared a meal or loaded the washing machine. If you are managing daily stuff at all then you are doing great.

Highlighted

Hi nicki. Im on antidepressants too, i suffer with anxiety and depression. They did mention taking something 'extra' to help but im not keen at the moment. I think i feel a bit better prepared this time round, as ive bought loads of meds for previous side effects from round 1. Its so frustrating, i had been feeling quite well about a week before round 2 and i knew that would soon be gone! Do have the injections at home for days 5 - 10? Im dreading them, my joints were so painful when i finished them. Thankfully no sickness yet, but im feeling really bloated because i don't seem to be able to go to the loo for nearly a week! The joys of chemo lol. Hope you're feeling ok, we're all get through this

Highlighted

Hi Amy

I'm on day 1 of round 2 and had a good night sleep which I didnt have on round 1. I feel heavy and lethargic but not as out of it as last time. I take a sedative to get me into chemo as I get so anxious and this time took half the dose which just took the edge off, last time I was completely out of it for a a day and a half and my oncol said it was the sedative not the chemo??    Its all about balance I'm finding and what works for you.

However I havent taken the steroids yet and they gave me a stonking headache for 2 days last time but preferable to any sickness.

Nicki xx

Highlighted

Hi Lucy

I have bought a couple of scarf /wraps and I'm teaching myself how to tie different turban styles from YouTube ( on my good days).

I have a decent wig that I collected before I started chemo very like my own hair so it felt like me.

Also sent for a ponytail wig with a wide hair band attached from etsy.. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/headscarvesbyciara1?listing_id=770516579&ref=shop_overview_header#items

They take a while to arrive tho.

I clippered my very long hair to a number 2 last weekend (as it had become very sore and falling out at great speeds which I found so alarming) on the advice of a hairdresser which has worked really well as you tend not to get ingrown hairs and sore bumps etc and I find the rest of the hair falls out in a manageable way. Another good tip she mentioned is the hair you have left on your head after your buzz cut can be taken off with a lint remover ( for removing hairs from clothes). Its amazing it stops all the little hairs getting in your bra. I'd be interested in any other hair ideas people have too

Nicki

xx

Highlighted

Hi. Hows everyone getting on? Im on day 3 (very early, 3am!) Of round 2. I felt nausea on 1st day which is a nuisance but no sickness like last time yet. They decided to give me my antisickness in injecton form this time prior to the chemo so maybe that helped. Ive had a heavy and sore head too and don't really feel 100% 'with it'. But im hoping things won't be worse than the last time. 

Highlighted

Thanks Lucy, sounds like the same thing. I wonder if it's a sign that I'm about to start losing some hair. Time will tell I guess!

Take care xx

Highlighted

Hi Sarah - i had the same & used cold cap too.  had dull sore head/scalp the week after treatment then started getting itchy 2 days before 2nd EC. hair starting to fall out now - hoping its just thinning as no mass chunks but its coming out in strands everywhere..

x

Highlighted

Hi everyone

Has anyone else had a really sore scalp? I'm 9 days after my first EC (with cold cap) and my hair seems to be staying put, but my scalp is so sore it's giving me a permanent headache. Has anyone else experienced this?

xx

Highlighted

Lucy, I think Being sick was partly psychological as you say and also I triggered my gag reflex when brushing teeth. 
Ive bought a couple of hats online just from general online retailers. Waiting for wigs from ‘Simply wigs’ as I hate the one I got locally.

Any website I look at just seems to scream Chemo. My sister got a few skip caps and attached some hair pieces. Seemed to work quite well for her.

Hugs

Maire

Highlighted

Where are the best places to buy some cool head gear for when my hair falls out (molting more this morning) i have a wig ordered but keen to hear of other ideas as an alternative!

lucy x

Highlighted

Hi Maire 

i felt like i was going to be sick on my way to chemo on wednesday - i'd found the anti sickness tablets worked fine til then. not sure if its they psychological dread of it being chemo day. trying to stay positive but i think the day before and the day of are going to be right offs for me. i get so grumpy!  

Highlighted

Hello folks, 

Glad to hear we’re all getting through this day by day. Tough though.

Im day 10 after 2nd EC. Starting to feel a bit more human after nausea and awful heartburn. I was sick just before my 2nd chemo so it might’ve created conditions for acid stomach. 
I cold capped again but hair is pretty sparse and coming out daily. Noticeable bald areas and it just feels horrible.  I might give it another go on My last EC if only to protect the new follicles that might emerge.

Going to try to get out for a walk today as I’ve become pretty inactive over the last wee while. 
Keep powering through xxx

Highlighted

Had my 2nd round of EC yesterday - used cold cap both times but noticing a fair bit of  hair shedding today. only bonus if it falls out then will reduce time in for chemo round 3. also feeling more sick than last. eating/sleeping ok but waking up loads through the night. i hope this is just a bad day & find some of they hyperness i had after round 1 x

Highlighted

Hi chantal. My hair just felt like straw after about a week of chemo. It was coming out by week 2 but my consultant said she expected it to be gone by round 2. My eyelashes and eyebrows are ok for now. Ive had my 2nd round of chemo today. I feel ok but a bit sick. Hope you're ok 

Highlighted

hi Amy,

Hope you are doing OK had 2nd course of ec chemo last thursday my head is really itchy and shedding and cold even though had cold cap didnt knowvif this is normal only after 2 courses eyebrows are ok but losing eyelashes now too really contemplating the shave don't know if i can put up with this for another 6 courses what are you doing 

Love and care chantal xxx

Highlighted

Hi becci. Sorry to hear you're not feeling good. I spoke to my consultant today and she said not to expect much different to my 1st round for side effects. So hopefully you wont be too ill this time round. Don't worry about late replies, i struggle to keep up with most things these days, i call it 'chemo brain' lol. Ive definitley got that f*** it attidude too. Before all this, i used to have low confidence and struggle to go out. I got help so ive learnt not to care too much about what others think now. If they stare, i stare back! 1 of my nieces did cry when she 1st saw me without hair but now she doesn't even notice. My head gets really cold too. I don't wear anything on it at home but i put on a headscarf when im outdoors. I can't wait to go wig shopping lol. Try all the colours and styles, you might be suprised what you like and what suits you. I hope you feel better soon

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

The steroids can have you bouncing off the walls and sleep patterns go out the window, do speak to your team about it and ask for any advise because it’s impacting on sleep ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hello ladies, 

It’s been a rough few days for me since Friday’s EC but not as bad as last time and i’m feeling a bit better today. Still had some nausea and not much appetite (thanks to the awful taste in my mouth again!) but managing to drink lots & get some food down me this time so hoping i’ll feel much better by the end of the week. Getting some fresh air yesterday helped my mood, even if i was only out for about 20 mins so i’m going to aim for a short walk every day.
Does anybody else suffer with the 2 days of steroids they give you? I couldn't get to sleep Sunday night, even though i take them as instructed at 10am & 2pm. I was so tired then all day yesterday & slept from 8pm til 6:30am this morning! 
Anyway, i hope you’re all doing ok & i’m thinking of you all. 
Big hugs, Becci xx