cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2022 chemo starters

13 REPLIES 13
Kay0987

Re: August 2022 chemo starters

It's called a fasting mimicking diet and the idea is to eat a very calorie restricted diet with only certain types of food. My chemo was on a Friday and I had my last meal that night around 8:00. Thursday I would have one fasting bar (meal bar specifically designed to eat during fasting periods) with my steroid in the morning and a 100 calorie nut pack in the evening. If I wanted some mushroom soup I would have one cup or something. That was it and it would keep me at 400 calories for the day. I drank a ton of water. The day of my chemo, same thing although I would have my 100 calorie nut pack right before my chemo started since I didn't want a completely empty stomach there when I took the pills with it. The day after the same thing and 24 hours after chemo I ate my first regular meal. What I will do differently next time is to make sure I take a stool softener with that first meal after fasting and start with miralax the next day in order to try to avoid any constipation. Anyway it wasn't all that hard except the third day after chemo when my appetite was really going because of the steroids. I really enjoyed my first meal 🙂 Anyway I took all medication as prescribed so I don't know what helped versus what didn't but I'll do fasting again just because of how my appetite has been. It's been stellar. Wouldn't be surprised if I actually ended up gaining a little bit of weight this time around. Energy has been great, too. I only didn't walk during my fasting days but every other day I've been able to walk. Pacing might be a little slower on some days and maybe distance wasn't as much but it was still good to do a normal amount of exercise even on my supposed bad days (3rd, 4th and 5th). 

NeneJaniney

Hope you don’t mind me asking, so what did fasting mean for you?

What did you eat or drink and on what days?

Kay0987

Fasting is said to help with both side effects and chemo effectiveness. Today is my day 6 and I did do fasting and although I'm not free of side effects I can say they weren't that bad. Although my goal was zero so there's that 🙂 Anyway I hate feeling anything with chemo at all but I don't think it's possible not to. But no nausea although I had some bone pain and I've been tired. Some indigestion, constipation and taste changes, too. But I was able to walk after my fast ended and have kept it up along with eating so there's that. 

cocktails

Hi everyone

I started my chemo journey last Friday (3 lots of EC followed by 3 Docetaxel).

I must admit to feeling better than i thought i would be, though i have had to ring the helpline twice as precaution - my face was red & burning (known side effect apparently) and also as my heart feels like it is racing at times (keep a check on it).

I had awful muscles aches yesterday from the injections but found that cetirizine antihistamines have been a massive help (picked up this tip online) - my nurse hadnt heard of it, but its definitely helped me. 

Otherwise just feeling more tired than usual & hoping it continues the same way.

Good luck to everyone 

Xxx

NeneJaniney

Hi there

hope you are okay?

what's with fasting? Is this supposed to help with nausea? 

very interested, as I won't be having steroids next time which means I could feel quite sick??

NeneJaniney

Hi there

just started this month too. Had a terrible reaction to the steroids x they made me feel quite ill. But the weekend and today I've felt back to my old self and managing to walk my sausage dogs (early before too hot). My hair is starting to fall out, only little bits. 
I have a wig meeting Monday, after having all my hair cut in a pixie style last week.

Tuesday is chemo 2, and I can't lie I'm feeling a little anxious as I know what's coming. 
Little things that helped this time..... sucking tic tacs, drinking with a straw, marmite and toast, oil to rub in my nails and toes each night...... E45 sensitive moisturiser, super soft and scent free....

please let me know how u are doing and anything you have found helps u - good  to share. 
😍

FIFI_6

Hi, I’m starting next Thursday! 

Joanna23

I met with my oncologist today. Almost 6 weeks post single mastectomy and lymph nodes clearance. I will be starting chemo in the next couple of weeks… I am feeling anxious about it all. Hope being here will be helpful. All the best to everyone.

Joanna 

nevada

I started my first chemo treatment on 3rd of August- 7th day today( EC 3 cycles and Docetaxel 3 cycles). Feeling better today, like I’ve waken up, trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve had some sleeping and dark days, but hoping for the better. 
good luck to everyone!!! 

catherinelou

Hi I started chemo/immune therapy yesterday. 

Kay0987

2nd day where side effects are supposed to hit and I feel good. Like so good I'm wondering if the chemo is effective. But I'm still on steroids and nausea medicine so maybe that's why. I may be having a tremendous reaction to fasting, too. Little achy due to my bone shot yesterday but nothing that needs pain medication. And I slept last night! Broken sleep but a good amount anyway. So far so good! Hope you are doing well also 🙂

JosieJ

And that is me too! Starting 6 cycles of EC on the 19th August. Feeling apprehensive but just want to get started now.

Kay0987 - Glad to hear that your first cycle went well and your feeling ok today? Hope you enjoy your 'real' food.

Good luck to all August starts.

Kay0987

And that would be me! Who hoo! First chemo was today in the US. Taxotere and Cytoxan. It was pretty brutal but because of me icing my hands and feet, not from the chemo itself. Got chills from it so that hour and a half was pretty horrible. But no nausea right now. Just tired from a very long day. We'll see how it goes in the next few days. I'm also fasting (started the day before chemo) although eating a fasting bar with my steroids so keeping it less than 500 calories a day. I'll start eating normally again tomorrow at 7:00 PM (24 hours after chemo). Hoping that helps. It's not that hard but I still am looking forward to some real food. Did a cold cap, too, but that wasn't bad at all. So good in fact that I'm worried it wasn't tight enough. But my hair was frozen when I took it off so I hope that's a good sign. Good luck everyone!

Bernard_BCN
Community Manager

August 2022 chemo starters

This thread is for anyone who starts chemotherapy in August 2022 to share thoughts and experiences.