Cold cap

Just wondering if anyone Is cold capping and how it’s going? I had my second fec last thurs and hair seems to be hanging in there. It is shedding when I comb but no bald patches so fingers crossed. I did find the cap almost unbearable second time and was sick twice I’m sure it was much tighter than the first time

As rediculous as it sounds the thought of losing my hair when they told me i had to have chemo was the first time i broke down in the consultants office, i wouldn’t say i’m a vain person but it made the reality of the situation sink in and it would be something i couldn’t hide from people. so I persevered with the cold cap through all sessions and kept good head of hair a few thin patches but nothing my hairdresser couldn’t hide it is hard when you wash your hair or comb and see all the strands coming away my advice is don’t wash too often and keep combing to minimum.

its not pleasant but it gets easier with time or did for me.  wish you luck

Hi Katflo how’s you? I’m a little behind you with fec and cold capping. My second fec is next Friday. So far no shedding my hair is probably the best it’s ever been. I am washing it only once a week and I comb it then and not really much more. I bought a silke to wear at night too. Only worn it two nights but it is lovely. Hope things are going well. Take care Gigi

Hi GiGi the shedding seemed to be worse the first week after second fec. Got a bit thin around the scalp but got some stuff off amazon called toppik that fills in patches and it worked really well so worth a try. It’s just tiny fibres that match your hair colour that you shake over and they stick to your existing hair. You can get a tiny bottle to start with, worth a go! I have fec 3 next week then change to T the nurses say you don’t have to wear the cold cap for as long on T which is a relief! Good luck!x

Thanks Katflo I will look into Toppik. Looks like I’m behind you got 2 more Fec then T. Second Fec this Friday but going for a wig fitting Wednesday. Nothing fallen out yet. I guess I have it to come. Good luck you too.

Hi ladies, I’ve just had my 1st go of the Paxman CC. So far it seems very doable. I’ll give you weekly update !!

Hi All,
I’m new to this forum and started FEC-T 16th Apr and have second round tomorrow. I used the Paxman cold cap and lost no hair until Sunday (3 weeks after 1st session) when it started falling out when I ran my fingers through it and I lost a lot that evening when I washed it. I have been doing everything recommended only on blow drying / straightening, washing it once or twice a week, using chemical free shampoo / conditioner only brushing with wide tooth comb, silk pillow case etc. I got really hot over the weekend and although I had a hat on to protect my head from the sun, my head particularly got really hot. I am wondering if this triggered hair loss or if it was a coincidence, does anyone know anything about keeping head cool between chemo sessions?
Good luck to everyone else going through chemo at the moment xxx

Hi Rachel I don’t know if heat would have made any difference or not… I have done 3 fec so far and the heaviest shedding I had was after 2 and it has since slowed up. Due to start T next week so will seee what that brings. One of the nurses said some people see new hair growth on T so worth persevering. Even if your hair thins out it will still come back quicker once chemo finishes. Also have a wig hairbands etc on standby if you need to cover bits up. Hope it goes ok for you

Hi all,
Due for my first cycle of FEC next week and don’t know whether to bother with the cold cap? My hair is quite short anyway and I have heard that sometimes it doesn’t work?
Any advice, much appreciated,
Em
X

Hi daisy & amanda,
Thanks for replying.
I will give it a go and see if I can bear it.
Feel nervous and worried for this next hurdle of treatment, but i will get on with it and take whatever comes in my way…
Daisy - did you find the T part very different in terms of side effects and pain?
Thanks,
Em