1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2017 Chemo Starters

Camilla9

Re: December 2017 Chemo Starters

Mamadeacs, so, so sorry to hear this dreadful saga. You poor thing. Good the Onc nurses reacted quickly and hope u return to 'normal' soon. Lots of hugs.
Mamadeacs

Evening ladies....I thought after feeling so bad with nausea last time nothing could get worse...until today! I had an anaphylactic reaction at the end of the C part of FEC so chemo stopped, panic stations till the adrenaline started working then ambulance to hospital where I am staying tonight. The onco nurses are so swift and luckily I was only one in the bus as quick went down my tights for the injection. I’ve still got a really tight chest, temp and my heart rate hasn’t gone below 120 since lunchtime so they are cocncerned I am going to have a secondary reaction...apparently that’s not uncommon. Was a bit concerned about not having the F part but by the sounds of it it is the E they want to get in. First vein popped during the E so that stung like ballyo! On my last good vein now, keeping fingers crossed!
I hope they tell me what will happen next cycle before I leave hospital.
Hope you are all feeling ok.
Xxx
Karebear

No S/E today its so good to feel normal
So having a pink gin and a film night ☺🍸🎥🎬
Fiona17

Oh Rabbit what a bummer! But far better to wait until the cavalry are there just in case. Go for it big time over the weekend. Don’t save the treats you had for today for Tuesday enjoy them you’ve earned them for all the stress of cancelled chemo. Keep us posted and have great weekend. 💗💖
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sequinned gold hotpants Lesley for mamadeacs 😁😁😁😁after you posted a pic of the sequinned ones I didn’t want just gold kylie ones anymore we all switched to the sequinned ones 😁😁😁and who cares if our arses don’t fit in them we are fabulous and all twirling our way through chemo with Wonder Woman outfits and sequinned gold hotpants on top 😁😁😁💕💕shi xx
lesley62

Mamadeacs, that's annoying about the anti inflammatory drugs!  but hopefully the clarityn will see you right.

Get the telly on whether you are watching it or not, just to have the noise in the house and indulge in what you want to do!  Being burgled is awful and it must be un-nerving, but lightning doesnt often strike twice as they say - you are probably in the safest place! 

Don't be too harsh on yourself, you're allowed to be a bit worried.  Shi would tell you to pull on your gold hot pants and start twirling round your kitchen!!   Unfortunately, after the steroids, my arse wont get anywhere near any hotpants ...... so I will just advise you to dance a la Bridget Jones around your house to banish to gremlins.

sending you hugs 

xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rabbit, enjoy new year now and best for them to delay you rather than take any risks darling 💕💕shi xx
Camilla9

Chaffinch, I wish u were my next door neighbour ud soon sort my lot out!
I suppose I think ready meals have additives, sugar and maybe poor quality protein, so wld rather have food cooked from scratch, especially when trying to eat really nutritionally well.
Also, having no appetite at all doesn't help. Nothing seems tempting, it might as well be cardboard.
Battling on!
rabbit28

My chemo was cancelled at the last minute this morning as they don't have staffing levels today to do the desensitisation, so have a reprieve until Tuesday. Bit annoying, just want to get started, seems it's not meant to be.  Good luck to all those having theirs today. xx

Mamadeacs

Thanks Lesley....I bought Clarityn yesterday just in case. Unfortunately I’m severely allergic to anti inflammatory drugs so can’t take nurofen. I’m on my own after the weekend for first time since we were burgled and knowing I won’t feel great as well is making me a bit nervous today. I know I need to snap out of it. Xx
lesley62

Mamadeacs - you can have clarityn tablets alongside the injections, that helps suppress the worst of the pain and I was told to take paracetamol and nurofen if the pain was bad, but just keep an eye on your temp as they will mask any increase ..... tbh with the clarityn I haven't had any pain
SamH87

I’m going to go with the little and often!! Fingers crossed it helps!! 🙂 xx
KirstyH

Yeah I think the nerves and the uncertainty of whats to come play a bit part in feeling a bit off, So hopefully this time is different. Everyone seems to say eat little and often if struggling to eat as well, its definitley important to get the vitamins and minerals into us to stay as strong as poss throughout treatment x

SamH87

I felt a bit nauseous last time but I’m not sure if that was just the nerves of everything and no knowing what was coming!!
Had round 2 yesterday and I’m eating my normal breakfast now! Hoping that helps this time around!! 😊xx
KirstyH

Haha he was right to get it then!

I think trying to keep eating helps combat it, as with no food/energy from the food I would imagine the body would feel even worse. They told me the steroids give you an appetite and is good to eat. They certainly gave me one as I was starving the first few days and constantly eating. Although it may be much harder if your feeling sick, which luckily i wasnt so just kept on eating 🙊😂 xx
SamH87

It’s brilliant Kirsty! I totally turned my nose up when my husband bought it home but it’s been a saviour!!
Hope treatment goes ok for the ladies who are having their next round!! 😊😊

I have a quick question - is it better to try and eat something with the steroids / anti sickness etc! I’m really trying to combat the horrible feeling I felt from about Day 3 onwards... I put it down to not eating/feeling like drinking?
Any tips would be great!!! Xx
KirstyH

Hey Sam, yeah I am on there as well, I had wondered if that you was you on there 🙂 ah bŕilliant, I had posted about the spots the first time and got replies saying common but no one suggested the lush aqua marina and I didn't notice it on your post there so thanks I will pick some up today as the ones around my hairline are sore 🙈
Hope your 2nd treatment went ok, was it yesterday?

Good luck today Fiona and rabbit, will be thinking of you xx
runawaygirl248

Rabbit28 and Dramaminx - good luck wirh your treatments tomorrow. Im right with you with cycle 2 of EC tomorrow morning. We can do this! 😊 x
rabbit28

Thanks Fiona, hopefully I can sleep tonight although I've got bumper loads of steroids so hope they don't keep me awake. xx

Mamadeacs

That’s reassuring Dramaminx, thanks. Good luck with your tomorrow xx
Dramaminx

Mamadeacs - I had Emend added in last time and I wasn’t sick. Totally zonked out as they still got me to take all the other meds but that was preferable to vomiting! Don’t worry ahead of the injections, I’ve had two lots of seven so far and no side effects so you may be lucky. I’m going for round 3 of my fortnightly EC tomorrow.
SamH87

Kirsty— i posted something about my skin on the Younger Women with Breast Cancer Facebook page - not sure if you are on there.
I had terrible acne about 10 days in from my last treatment and was recommended Lush Aqua Marina cleanser... worked an absolute treat literally over night. Cannot recommend enough!! X
Fiona17

Hi Rabbit, I was told by onc that weekly dox is not as strong as the tri weekly though still has same se’s. I’m hoping that it was both together that wasn’t right for you and that tomorrow goes well. Try and get as much fluid in you as you can - it may dilute the cr*p having adverse effects on your system.
The staff will all be well aware of previous reaction and will be ready with anything you need on standby. I’ll be thinking of you all day tomorrow, make sure you’ve got a treat in store for yourself when you get home.
Remember whatever happens they’ve always got a plan b. Will be keeping fingers crossed 🤞 for you. Try and rest tonight and good luck for tomorrow 😘
rabbit28

Just got back from having 2nd herceptin injection today, all ok so they've now ruled out it wasn't delayed reaction to that and was definitely the docetaxel.

Now feeling apprehensive about my second attempt at chemo tomorrow as are all the staff on the unit! xx

KirstyH

I am feeling good thanks Mamadeacs, although the acne type spots I ended up with after cycle 1 after back with avengance now on cycle 2 lol got some coming up on my mostly bald head now as well, but will not grumble at spots, they cleared up in a week last time so fingers crossed. Good luck for round 2, hope it goes smoothly x

Mamadeacs

Thanks Kirsty...how are you feeling? Xx
KirstyH

Great news mamadeacs, so glad they have gone back up and you can get back on track x

Mamadeacs

Hospital phoned and my neutrophils up to 2.6 from 0.4 so I can have round 2 tomorrow. They will give me Aprepitant which I think is Emend when I looked it up and he said that will be much better so I’m relieved about that. Also have to do gcsf injections, but concerned about the bone pain he talked about...will paracetamol be enough? He said they can’t afford for my levels to go down so low again or for me to have any more delays. Not dreading it as much as I had been now. I wish you all well, it’s lovely and sunny in Gloucestershire today xxx
Chaffinch17

Camilla, I can’t blame you for how you feel, but surely your husband and don can make toast and heat ready meals send them out shopping for whatever you might be able to eat. I find bland carbs good for the first week. Beans on toast scrambled eggs. It’s about time they learned to cook basics like this. A tiny bit of marmite on toast with a banana or a handful of almonds settles my stomach. I don’t believe that they can’t cook they just need to try!
Best wishes for treatment you can do this there are other ladies of around your age here ask around xx
runawaygirl248

Yeah Shi, KirstyH, SamH87 and Lesley62 it is good to have other ladies on this forum to share experiences along this journey that none of us want to be on! I really underestimated the impact of a cancer diagnosis and especially chemo. The ripple effect from it goes far and wide.

Jo x
Camilla9

Thank you! Have just managed to eat a plain brioche. Success!
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi runaway girl, yes think we’ve all been a bit 🤔when ‘friends’ go and do a beam me up Scottie!!!! Don’t worry about it, it hurts a bit, but you have more important things to concentrate on right now, YOU. I know we are only virtual girls at this moment in time on here, but we’ve got each other’s backs every step on this journey 24/7, how blessed are we to find such beauty and kindness from strangers on this life changing journey. Keep 💪, keep 😁and keep 🤪we’ve got each other 😘😘💕💕shi xx
SamH87

Hey Jo - yes I have had some amazing friends - some of which have only known me a short while, while some others have been more distant! These are in the minority though!

Camilla - I experienced the same thing digestive wise. Stomach cramps, especially when laying down, not wanting proper food, just general eurgh. I felt so so low the first few days ....BUT it did get better and I actually found that the more I ate, the more I felt better. I’m going into round 2 tomorrow and have already said that I’m going to start eating little and often in a bid to feel better. I’m adamant a lot of it was the side effects of the other tablets I have been given. I also requested Lanzoprazole for acid reflux about 5 days in last time and that really helped things... so be sure to ask for that!
Just think... you are one down already! 💪🏼Xx
KirstyH

Sorry to hear that Jo and this new battle will most definitely be bringing emotions and unsolved feelings to the surface again.

Yes I have found exactly the same, there are a couple of friends I have known a long time who have been absolutly useless to be honest and nowhere to be seen, luckily they are outnumbered by the other amazing friends who have been life savers through this and the caring thoughtfulness of people who I haven't even known as long has been amazing, it really does sort out the wheat from the chaff in times like these as Lesley says.

Camilla I hope the side effects from the other preventative drugs ease up soon and allpw you to eat better. Xx
lesley62

sending you a big hug runawaygirl, you have been thru the mill!

I was amazed at the 'good friends' that I haven't seen for dust and people that I considered to be just acquaintances really step up to the mark.  And I know a lot of the other girls have too!  These situations really sort the wheat from the chaff.

One thing I do know is that I will come out of this experience with a set of strong, beautiful ladies around me that I didn't even knew existed 6 months ago!

take care

xxx

runawaygirl248

Hi and thanks SamH87, KirstyH, Dramaminx, Fiona17 and Shi for your kind words and replies.
Dramaminx - I like the little scenerio you wrote and its true you have to make the best of what you have when your plans have changed. Im just fiercely stubborn when it comes to change and resist st all costs. Ive had a lot of traumatic events in my life including losing my mum to lung and secondary brain cancer (4 month short battle from diagnosis) when I was 17 so a lot of my unresolved issues have returned and it feels like own cancer diagnosis and the chemo drugs especially have magnified everything around 10 times.

Shi - thanks for the hug and your lovely words. Ive not heard a thing from my BCN since 2 weeks before my chemo first cycle but I think thats because she messed up by telling me one of my results over the phone. I had one query re a throat infection which I rang our Day Case Unit about but no-one returned my call and it took me emailing my Chemo Assessment Nurse to get an answer so Im not overly impressed with the hospital team at the minute.

SamH87 and KirstyH - sorry to hear that you both have struggled with the emotional side effects too, I think these are the effects that very little information is given about by the Medical Teams.

Im not sure whether this has affected any of you ladies but Ive been amazed by how some people you thought you could rely on in your life have drifted away and dont even drop a text or Whats App to say "Hi how are you" and then have others who have shown such love, warmth and care when you least expected it. I have a handful of people who have just been amazing and I will never be able to truely thank them enough.

Sending a big hug to all you lovely, beautiful ladies on this thread! 😘

Jo x
Ali49

Hi Camilla, phone your chemo helpline and tell them exactly whats happening and how you feel. They will.have suggestions and reassurance.

I am taking omeprazole too and slso eat what i fancy when i fancy it. Usually carbohydrates and not always healthy stuff. Try to fit in healthy stuff towards the end of the cycle 9n 'normal' days.

Hope you turn the corner and feel better soon xxc
Camilla9

Thanks all for ur encouragement. I think I was expecting that things wld gradually get better and the opposite is the case. I have just finished a course of 5 injections where a nurse came to the house daily. The side effects of these list nausea and swelling of the digestive tract.
I also take a daily​ tablet to boost vitamin d absorption and again, nausea common side effect.
It seems to be not the chemo but these extra meds that are making life so miserable.
Will try the various suggestions, thank you, but eating is the last thing I can face....(but will, because I have to. )
SueW

Hi Camilla I agree with the lovely ladies who have responded before me little and often is best x

I found carbs settled my stomach the best but speak to your team they will give you meds to try and overcome side effects
Hugs to you xx
Meesh73

Hi camilla, sorry you're having a tough time. Have you tried eating things you don't have to cook? Like a sandwich or a few biscuits, as sometimes the smell of food makes us feel worse. I try and batch cook some things before each cycle so that I can just heat them up, soup is especially good as it's quick to reheat and takes minimal effort. Perhaps buy some ready meals as again these take little effort. I know that doesn't help you for this cycle. Are you still taking meds for the nausea and indigestion? I had an acidey feelng on cycles 1&2 I spoke to my team and they prescribed omeprazole and I have been much better on cycles 3&4. As the others have said we have all had times where we have been very down usually days 5-8 when we come off the steroids. Hang in there you can do this, stay strong💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻 hopefully you will find that things will improve over he next few days. 

WhyteFawn

Hi Camilla. Try and eat a little and often that helps with the stomach issues sometimes. If you are struggling to eat try getting some Complan. You can order it off Amazon but it's like power you make into a milkshake and has lots if goodness in it. It'll help your body recover. Make sure you keep hydrated.
I think I've felt like I can't do another cycle after every one. I am now due cycle 5 on Thursday. Tell your oncologist at your next chemo as they may be happy to reduce the dose. They did that with me and it was a million times more manageable.
Don't worry we all get these moments but you can do. We're all here to support you
X
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi camilla, I think we all feel like you do after the first one, it’s overwhelming. Please speak to your bc nurse and your onc and let them know how you are feeling, they are there to help and support you and you will feel better after you have spoken to them about everything. The threads with all the beautiful, kind, loving, super ladies on here will help you through this journey, you will never be alone and always have loving arms guiding and supporting you as much as you need as and when. 😘😘💕💕shi xx
Camilla9

How r people managing their food? I just can't eat. Bloated, indigestion and no appetite at all.

My husband and son can't cook so I'm still having to do it all.

I'm also awake all night. On FEC-T and only 7 days since 1st chemo.

Already I feel I can't go on. Completely drained and exhausted.

I'm 70 have had a good life feel like throwing in the towel.
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi runaway girl, big hug and 😘to you my darling. Speak to you bc nurse and the Mcmillan centre at your trust, they are there to help support us in this journey and you have so much ch more than the bc diagnosis going on in your life you can get the support and guidance you need from them. You can get a lot of love, support, laughs and friendship from the threads as you all navigate your way through the crazy that is chemo. Previous threads help each other through this and then you will pass your knowledge on as well to threads that will come after this Dec one. You will never be alone in this journey we keep each other safe and get each other through step by step. I’m from Oct thread. 💕💕shi xx
cmccorry21

Wishing you all some happiness and rest over Christmas. Emotions are high.....that I know xxxx
KirstyH

Fab way to put it dramaminx and so very true. No one really knowa what the futures holds so we need to embrace each day as it comes along.

Just been out for a lovely snowy boxing day walk with blue skies ans sunshine, appreciate the small things 🙂
Fiona17

Jo, I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way, let rip here, we’re on your team 😘

Dramaminx lovely post. 

Fiona17

Sangeetha - I’m so pleased it’s been manageable for you. Enjoy your New Year and just take each session as it comes, every time we go we’re another one nearer the other side of this. Stay strong 💪😘

SamH87

Dramaminx - what a lovely way of putting things. Actually made me feel quite emotional reading things in that way... but it’s really does feel true.
💪🏼💪🏼Xxx
Dramaminx

Runawaygirl248 - my heart goes out to you, this is hard enough without the added distress of possible infertility. At the moment it seems as thou things are only being taken away from us, particularly things that define us as women - hair, breasts, fertility, even looking after our families and socialising with friends, going to work perhaps. I was told a useful thing a few years ago that might help, it was while I was on an NCT course preparing for the birth of my son, and this session was to deal with the possibility of the baby not being healthy. Imagine you have a trip to Paris booked. You have planned everything you want to do - visit the Eiffel Tower, boat trip on the Seine, shopping on the Champs Elysee, night at the opera. But when the plane lands, you find you are in Amsterdam. You don't want to be in Amsterdam. You know nothing about Amsterdam. You want to be in Paris, it's not fair. But you get in a cab and start to explore and, actually, there are windmills, beautiful landscapes, and lovely canals, and those infamous coffee shops...! What I'm trying to say is, this may not be what you have chosen, but you will find joy in other things that you may not even be able to imagine yet. Cancer may take away the future we had planned, but the point of all this treatment is that it gives us back a new future. Please try to think about this when you are having a low moment. Look after yourself and always tell us if you're having a wobble xx