cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

December 2017 Chemo Starters

KirstyH

Re: December 2017 Chemo Starters

Ive not had surgery yet so no scar cream for me yet karebear

Ah good luck for tues and wed then Camilla! I got the 3 drugs in one day so was in for 8 hours πŸ™ˆ but this time they dont need to do the 6 hour wait to check for reactions and also the herceptin ia over an hour and a half on first dose but 2nd dose is less, so half an hour for it this time. Think its around 6 hours ill be in this Thursday

Its always great to spend time with good friends chatting and laughing ans not thinking about the C word for a wee while xx
Camilla9

Hi Kirsty, chemo 4 over 2 days Tues and Weds. Have Pertuzumab for an hr and a half, wait an hr then have herceptin. Then have to stay cannulated in the chair for 6 hrs in case adverse reaction.

Next day docetaxel. If all goes well (huh!) Chemo 5 will have one day all 3 together. My husband is away till Weds eve so girlfriends taking me to hosp both days.

Have Tues night home alone but Onc says shd be fine.

Have echocardiogram Mon to see if heart fit for herceptin. 28th ultrasound to see if tumour has reacted to the chemo.

Had friends round this afternoon, lovely to laugh and feel normal and think of other things.

Right now don't feel too bad, but little appetite and still horrible taste in mouth.

Went to spmkt yest and wandered around with a basket and felt no interest to take anything off the shelves, didn't fancy anything at all. Have been eating v plainly but so boring..

Hope se 's not too bad for everyone, most of you are ahead of me so I see what's to come...😱 😨
Karebear

I was wondering what scar cream are you all using??
Am using Dermot 500 only because I had it in the house.
Also anyone developed a chemo rash, mine has cleared up abit but I know come next week it will be back.
KirstyH

Thanks Cathsin, fingers crossed.

We are all getting there slowly but surely and the end of chemo is in sight πŸ™‚ xx
Cathsin

Fantastic that you are on round 5 on Thursday Kirsty hope it is an easier one this time for you x
KirstyH

Morning ladies, my eyebrows are noticably thinning now, still have their shape but are a little patchy. Eye lashes hanging on for now but I have also heard they can hang on right til the end of chemo theb fall out πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
Number 5 for me on Thursday and praying it doesnt hospitalise me again. I think it just bad timing that I had a bit of a cold brewing anyeay tho then mistook the sore throat for a side effect... so I will be very aware this time to call the line if i feel unwell in anyway. They also said the acne for rash will probably happen again as it was the perjeta that made it so bad, but hopefully getting skin antibiotics to take alongside trreatment this time.

Camilla what day do you get round 4 and start the new drugs?

Hope you all have relaxing weekends

Thinking of you dranaminx and hoping for a good plan of action on Monday xxx
Cathsin

Good morning ladies my eyebrow and eyelashes are currently ok . Has anyone got chemo rings on their finger nails . I have 3 rings going horizontal across my nails one for each of the chemo sessions I have had so far am sure no 4 will appear over next few weeks . I feel really fortunate no having the aches and pains some of you ladies are having but as we have said many times chemo is the gift that keeps giving so at least I know it is a chemo side efffect if the pains start x
Unicorngirlmummy

My eyebrows are also thining, and my eyelashes πŸ˜• When I had chemo last year they did come back very quickly.

Funny you should say that Sam, the last 5 days I’ve had pain in my left side under my ribs, radiating to the back. Temperature etc all ok. I of course google it & convince myself it’s cancer 😬 It’s not as painful today. My arms & legs feel like I’ve done a body combat class. So achey all the time, the filgrastim injections won’t help tomorrow.

I hope your side effects don’t go on for too long xx
SamH87

Keeping everything crossed for you Dramaminx- let us know how you get on 😘

Karebear - my eyebrows are thinning but eyelashes still here at the moment. I have heard that they are sometimes the last thing to go BUT are usually the first to come back....

Hope round 4 went ok Unicorngirl- I had mine on Tuesday and I’m feeling it today! Has anyone had what feels like really achey neck/bruised collarbone and ribs a couple of days after treatment?? Mine then seems to disappear and comes back again the next round! Xx
Karebear

Am starting chemo 4 on Tuesday I was wondering how everyone's eyebrow & eyelashes are bearing up with the chemo ???

Mine are fine at the minute xx
Unicorngirlmummy

Hope everyone is doing ok?

Dramaminx you’ve been on my mind 😘 All fingers crossed for a huge battle plan on Monday 🀞🀞

Chemo number 4 done βœ… It should have been yesterday but the cold cap machine was in use. They sent me home after 2 hours! Might’ve been nice not to have waited 2 hours but we get so used to sitting in waiting rooms it seems the norm!

Hope everyone is doing ok xx
Moijan

Good luck for Tuesday Cathsinxxx

Moijanxx

Moijan

Hello Dramamine, I am sorry you are having this worry and stress...and yes we are all in this together,

β€˜hopefully they will sort this for you soon, I had pre op chemo for 6 months yonks ago and it didn’t work , but eventually they will find your particular treatment.,  hugs to you

Moijanxx

Karebear

Big hugs and kisses dramaminx
I hope you get answers on Monday xxx
Cathsin

Dramaminx we are all routing for you hope Monday brings you some light x
Camilla9

Dramaminx, your post brought tears to my eyes. We feel your anguish. We are in this together. Of course you must share this dismaying news with us all.
Just one thing, when I had my initial ultrasound which confirmed my tumour, the nurse told me that it wasn't actually as big as it looked on screen, that it was magnified. So, did anyone actually say it had grown or was it your observation?
Also, I have now had ultrasounds in diff hosp and the screen portrayal was diff in each. On one, the image of the tumour was really clear, like a hen's egg, on the other the edges were not defined at all.
I hope you have someone at home to give you a hug and an imaginary one coming from me. Xxx
Unicorngirlmummy

Oh dramaminx, that’s just utterly unfair. As Kirsty says, it’s not bringing the forum down at all. It’s emotionally & mentally torturous to have gone through your fortnightly chemo & to not have positive news. Let’s all have our fingers crossed for you for Monday that they have a whole new plan of action for you. Sending you lots of love & massive positive vibes for good news on Monday 😘 xxx
Dramaminx

Shame on you β€˜Dr James’ for coming on a breast cancer forum and pouncing on someone who’s already been through enough for one day. You may think you’ve found an ongoing supply of vulnerable women but don’t underestimate our strength, especially in the December group.
KirstyH

Oh dramaminx, you are not bringing the forum down, this is what it is here for and to be here for each other through all this crap. I am so sorry to hear the reaults, its just not fair and all us hope and wnat to hear it is working. Are there any other chemo drugs they can try or have they tried the others? I hope they can just kove straight to suregry and remove it as soon as possible for you. Sending love xx

Sue I am glqd you said that as I was wondering if we could report that post, which is clearly some kind of scam!! X
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Please disregard the last post.

Thanks

Sue xx

Dramaminx

I’m beginning to feel a bit out of my depth, like I’m in the middle of a whirlpool unable to grab hold of anything solid to save myself. I had a progress ultrasound this morning and the tumour appeared bigger. Bigger!! This is after six cycles of fortnightly chemo with another two to go. They also took some cells from under my arm to test, which has really scared me. I wanted them to say it was smaller and all this treatment was paying off. I just want a tiny bit of good news after months of bad news. I’m seeing the consultant on Monday. She may decide to stop treatment if all it’s doing is poisoning me and move straight to surgery. I feel like a featherweight fighting a heavyweight - I manage to get in a few punches but it keeps knocking me down. I’ve been so positive through all of this, prepared to go through anything for a good result and now I just feel like this is a cruel joke, that no matter how hard I try, it will have the last laugh. While I was there I also had to go to the urgent treatment centre as I’ve got an infected toe! Gave me some antibiotics so hopefully they will kick in soon.

I’m sorry to bring the forum down but I just feel so sad about it all. I know I need to wait for Monday for the full picture but I just feel like I’ve had no luck at all so far. When will I get my break?

Xxx
SamH87

Cathsin - I’m on the same regime as you! Had 4th round on Tues so the effects are starting to hit today!!

Camilla - The tax is tough but totally do able πŸ’ͺ🏼πŸ’ͺ🏼

Keep going ladies! The end is in sight.... just!! πŸ‘πŸ»Xx
Cathsin

Hi Camilla sorry I worded it wrong it was blood sample for having my Hickman line put in next Tuesday to check my clotting level
Camilla9

Cathsin well done for giving blood. I'm surprised when going through cancer treatment that that's possible.
I shall look for the bell on Tues when I'm at my cancer unit - haven't noticed one...
Cathsin

It's crazy how everyone is having different regimes isn't it . Mine is doxetaxtal herceptin pertuzamab and carbaplatin and will stay the same over the six sessions. Although I believe they are reducing my doxetaxal this time. Number 4 session for me on wed . I was at the cancer centre giving blood yesterday and 2 people rang the bell as it was thier last session. Tears were rolling down my face both times I will be a blubbering mess when it's my turn I can just see it now x
Karebear

Am having 6 rounds FEC100 then radiotherpy the 18 herceptin injections
Camilla9

Yes, Karebear, I feel more or less normal now also with round 4 on Tues.
I change drugs from FEC to pertuzumab, herceptin and docetaxel. Really feeling nervous about tax as have read about horrible side effects.
Whoever said ignorance is bliss was prob right. My husband keeps telling me to stop looking things up.
Cathsin I've never had an MRI from diagnosis to now. Great news for you!
Karebear

It's a nice feeling when your on your good (week 3) for me. Meeting friends having lunch and feeling half normal.

Round 4 on Tuesday and then it all begins again.

Xx

Karebear
Moijan

Yes, I’ve had strange kind of headaches..I think they could be peripheral neuropathy as my scalp feels like lines of nerve pain..very strange, but I’m on taxol.

Unicorngirlmummy

Morning, hope everyone is managing ok 😘

Jo, I suffer from headaches too. It was worse when I had the emend. I struggle to drink lots in the days following chemo so that doesn’t help. I was a defiant patient in cycle 3 & only took half the steroids & they were better so I’m sure the steroids don’t help. Stress must contribute too, I’ve just had pre chemo bloods for cycle 4 tomorrow & have a headache already 😐

Rabbit, I do hope you’re feeling better? You’ve had such an awful time.

Kirsty, good to hear that you’re home 😊

Sam, wow...that’s brilliant news πŸ‘πŸ™Œ And your scan too cathsin! Fantastic!

Ahh, camilla, how lovely to spend time with your grandson & have a change of scenery.

Moijan, my eyes are sore/stingy where they water all the time. The bottom eyelid on my left eye has a huge bald patch of no eyelashes, it’s quite the look!! πŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚

I’ve spent the first half of half term in germ infested places with my 10 year old 😬

Good luck to everyone in the chair this week, the end is getting a bit closer. Xx
Cathsin

Hi Joanne not had headaches myself although who knows what's in store for us all . Great respect to all you ladies who are going to work . I am fortunate to be able to work from home which is great as don't think I would be managing to go into work as do tired . Went to a local support group tonight was really good to get out and they are s lovely group of ladies x
runawaygirl248

Quick question ladies - does anyone else experience headaches? During this 3rd cycle of EC Ive had a headache pretty much every other day. Have been take paracetamol (after checking temp OK) and sometimes it relieves it, other times not. Not sure if its tension related but wondered if anyone else gets / or had headache.

Thanks

Joanne

KirstyH

Glad to hear it rabbit. Yeah I went back to work today, seen as I have been feeling totally fine the last few days but was only kept in due to bloods, I did ask the doctor if it was ok before I left yest and she said was fine to go to work. I am resting and having relaxing nights on the couch tho as dont want to over do it and get run down again so will take it very easy the rest of this week

Oh that it great you tasted the pancakes camilla πŸ™‚ we are having pancakes tonight too

Hope everyone else doing ok xx
Camilla9

Just had the pancakes and enjoyed them. Just starting to taste again a week before next chemo. Had thin pc s rolled with mixed berries, lemon and sugar.
Baby-sitting my 5 month old grandson who sadly has a cold. No doubt it will come my way!
Change of scene lovely here in Cwall altho rain and snow showers. Hope spring on the way for us all...
rabbit28

Hi Kirsty, feeling much better thank you, just a bit achy and tired. Having this week off and going back to work on Monday.

Have you gone back to work today? xx

KirstyH

hehe no I had not managed to try a curry pot noodle yet lol but I was eating almonds on Sunday night and my manuka honey in the hope that would help.

Camilla that is rubbish not being able to enjoy the pancakes! 😞

How are you doinng now rabbit? x

Moijan

Was it the noodles Kirsty?β€οΈπŸ’œπŸ§‘

Moijan

Mamadeucs, yestax and Docetaxel do  have thΒ£ same side effects..I was thinking...it feels like the pains re where the body gets pressure..ie a toe or two. My arm where I lay on it, my back as well...this isn’t a pic nic Ladies,e is it?

oh and do any of you get sore eyes?

much love, Moijanxx

Moijan

Oh Rabbit, how scary. Actually last time I was admitted via a&e I had a uti...now they can really bring you down! I am sorry you must have been scared and poor mum!

look after yourself RABBIT.

moijanxx

Camilla9

Yes Rabbit, I will, I'll be in a high chair next.
rabbit28

Kirsty, Thats great news you're going home, a big relief I'm sure. Sam thats excellent new on your scan, like you say makes the suffering worthwhile if the outcome is good.

Camilla I know exactly where your'e coming from with the metallic taste, mine is made worse by the fact I have a metal splint on the whole of my upper teeth. I've gone right off chocolate as it's tastes vile but maybe thats a good thing!!

Definitely try plastic cutlery as it does make a difference. xx

Camilla9

I've been invited to a pancake event tomorrow. Since everything I eat still tastes of metal, the thought of a metallic pancake does not fill me with excited anticipation. ...😲
runawaygirl248

Good to hear the Neuts are on their way back up Kirsty and you get to go home!

Mamadeacs - I would deffo speak to your Oncologist re treatment with shingles etc. rather than your GP. Hopefully they will get you sorted out.

I had meeting with one of the Professors today at my mid way review (my Oncologist off I think) and I have declined swapping to Docetaxel for my 3 remaining rounds and sticking to EC. Whether I have made the right decision, who knows but hearing of and reading about the short and long term health side effects felt like a bigger risk to me. The Professor said that the Docetaxel in studies of thousands and thousands of women has shown to give a small benefit in the long run but they can never tell whether the benefit of the Docetaxel was of benefit to each woman or whether it wasnt required - thats the beauty of medicine I guess...we are all individual and all react differently. My breast nurse was in the meeting too and she said if the Professor thought I was wrong to stay on EC then he wouldve strongly advised me to swap to Docetaxel but he didnt.

I don't feel any clearer or settled in my head since the meeting and know I have to live with the decision I've made but if I did have a recurrence in the future then I wont ever know whether it was because I didnt swap and the Professor agreed.

Hugs to all - the finishing line is in sight ladies!

Cathsin

Camilla last chemo is definitely something to celebrate x
Camilla9

Pleased you're going home Kirsty. We all spend a lot of time hanging about waiting for something to happen.
When last chemo I shall REALLY celebrate ( when feel up to it!!)
Cathsin

That sounds great news they said that mine had reduced substantially and can only see a shadow . I wanted to see the results but was in hospital at the time . So will check when I see oncologist on wed . It is a complete buzz when you get some positive news . I feel like it is still all surreal and in automatic fight mode I can see a complete crash happening once I have my operation and possible radiotherapy x
SamH87

Hey Cathsin... to be honest im not 100% sure (seeing oncologist tomorrow!). The nurse read out the info on the phone and I get the impression that nothing can been seen on the MRI anymore. Still need to finish my 3 rounds of chemo and then have surgery as I’m guessing they will need to check for any active cells. I’m pleased though that chemo seems to be doing something thoughβ€” makes the rubbish days feel worth it! Xx
Cathsin

Sam what does complete radiological response mean .. does it mean it has disappeared ?? I did try to google it but it just confused me x
KirstyH

Oh wow Sam that is amazing!! Pleased for you πŸ™‚ xx
SamH87

Ah that’s fab news Kirsty! Glad you can go home!
Mamadeacs - I had bad days pelvic and back pain on my first round of treatment. I’m on Docetaxel for 6 rounds. I have found it easier though and I’m on my 4th round tomorrow. I couldn’t take co-codamol as I’m allergic to codeine but I took ibruprofen. It worked ok.. but still felt quite painful at times.

I had the results of my midway scan and I have had a complete radiological response which I’m amazed at. Makes this treatment seem more bearable after all! I feel a little bit happier going into round 4 tomorrow!! 😊xx