๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Many tanks Shi. On this thread now. ๐Ÿ˜€

Mc

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Mc22 this is the chemo thread you should join โค๏ธ I just used maybelline color show blackout black nail polish โค๏ธ Also used washing up gloves when washing pots too and when doing the cleaning. Hope this helps ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx

Hi debelina,

I'm the very same, had my surgery already and was totally focused on that, now I have my oncology appointment on Tues and probably chemo the following week and I'm really under prepared. I see other ladies have already sorted out wigs and hats and researched side effects and I've spent the weekend so far Christmas shopping and celebrating my positive results on Friday! I really need to get my finger out and write a list I think!

Hi ladies,

I'm due to start chemo this month too. I have my oncologist appointment on Tues 3rd and they've said I'll probably start the following week.

I have already had my wide excision and pleased to say my results from that in Friday were clear margins and clear lymph nodes. Unfortunately it is triple negative metaplastic though so grade 3 and particularly aggressive for recurrence, hence the chemo and radiotherapy. But it's low stage so I'm focusing on that.

I'm nervous about chemo but will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't come back!

I more than happy for any advice or tips on managing the side effects as I really want to try to be as normal as possible for my 13 yr old daughter through this so she doesn't get too scared if the situation.

I'm so glad there is a specific thread with other ladies going through this at the same time, will be nice to feel I have some company. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi Debelina

Good to hear emotions and recovery are doing well. Will they start chemo or wait till pneumonia is clear?  How is the reconstruction Iโ€™m still not sure to have it or just be flat. I had my pre treatment meet yesterday but they canโ€™t give me a start date till next week. Busy while waiting around!

BW

X

Hi all,

I choose to have a diep reconstruction and my surgeon made me really aware of the risk of the pneumonia. I didn't stop smoking until I got my dx so had only stopped for 5 weeks prior to surgery which was a massive reason why I got it.

The operation itself I remember not a thing but the emotions and my recovery is going really well and I am a real pain diva.

I think my chemo planning appointment on Monday is going to be cancelled because my hospital is having a strike so hopefully I will hear on Tuesday what day I can go over and get more information. Smiley Happy

Hi all!

I've had a mastectomy and auxiliary node clearance, finally getting a diagnosis of T4 N2 MX, grade 2, ER+, HER2- followed by a load of stats and numbers and icky bits that I really don't want to know about - every time I go it seems they just bombard me with more "now it may be a little worse than we hoped..." and I've had enough of that and told them to just tell me what they want me to do and I'll argue each traatment as we go!

Chemotherapy I have been reluctant about, mostly due to a family history of heart problems but also due to my treatment at A&E after my mastectomy when I ended up needlessly running a huge infection which should never have got that far of they'd listened to me in the first place! (rant over!)

However, I have been convinced that my prognosis  really isn't particularly fantastic and that chemotherapy is more or less essential... So... 9th December here I come!

Considering I have asked every question going about the treatment and insisted on every reassurance possible, insisted also on extra tests for my heart that normally they wouldn't have done, I'm now actually feeling pretty much prepared and ready for this.. 

Initially I'm to have 8 EC-T, with a variety of accompanying tablets to start at various stages and a warning that they may well be advising me to have regular chemo sessions for life and that even if I don't now it's likely to be the case at some point.

Right now though, so much is unknown, I'm just taking every day as it comes and preparing for the worst but believing in the best - I reckon the 8 EC-T followed by 20 rads and then whatever cocktail of endocrine/biophosphates will be enough for the foreseeable future and I intend to be back at work by the summer holidays! ๐Ÿ˜

So... Let's go! 

Hi Debelina

I've got my mastectomy in 3 months but chemo first so weโ€™ll be on this bit together. Youโ€™ve got the operation over and done which is great. Stay in touch. All the best x

Hi Debelina

at lease youโ€™ve already had your surgery, how was it all? 
weโ€™ll all get through this chemo together, one step at a time x

Hello there....I am going on Monday for my oncologists meeting but don't know a date I will be starting my chemo.

I had my surgery 8 days ago in the Belfast City Hospital to remove a 5cm ILC tumour, all my lymph nodes and a diep reconstruction. I picked up pneumonia which was pretty nasty but I'm hoping I improve enough for my appointment on Monday.

I know that I am ER positive and HER2 positive.

I've spent so much time worrying about the operation and my dx that I am only starting to think about chemo now! x

Thank you wolvesgirl

im going to attempt the cold cap on tues, Iโ€™ll let you know how it goes ๐Ÿคž

Hi Carolyn,  

Not a problem, I will be interested to hear if you decide to go with the cold cap and how you find it.  There is a lot of advice on here about hair care - what products to use etc.  What I have found is that the hair that I kept and that which is now growing is very fine and fragile so you have to be so careful with it.  Try not to fiddle with it too much is my advice!  Also, I have a silk pillow case which I think has helped as its less stressful on your hair.  

Good luck - you will be fine I am sure.  xx

Lady 34

sooooo many appointments! My car knows itโ€™s own way to the hospital now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

my pre assessment is on Monday x

Hi Carolyn

love that youโ€™ve worked out the 2nd treatment date. Just managing to get my head around this roller coaster of appointments. I researched online and found out chemo drugs have some plant based elements. This pleased me as I thought it was pure chemicals. Wow the hat with hair attached must check it out. 

X

Hi lady34

nice to meet someone who starts the same time as me. We can maybe keep in touch and discuss progress/ symptoms.

youre right, Iโ€™ve met people who have found it ok, as well as people with horror stories, so will just have to wait and see.

my bc nurse and consultant have been fab too.

i have also bought a wig,and a hat with hair attached and a halo wig from a great website I found called headscarves by ciara. Check it out.. thereโ€™s some really nice stuff on there and the hair looks really natural... Iโ€™m just getting prepared as I really donโ€™t want to have to walk around with a bald head.. lol. I have worked out that 21 days from our first session will be Xmas eve, when our 2nd one Is due.. never mind eh!! 
Carolyn x

Hi Carolyn

I start Fec-T chemo on 3rd December and yes feeling anxious but at the same time want to start ASAP. Feel reassured by my bc nurse and my consultant is great. Iโ€™ve decided to have the cold cap also bought a wig from wish.com just to try it out in case I do need to use it. 

Dreading bad side effects also met a lady whose had hardly any side effects. So will see. 

Trying not to worry when awake but worry bubbles up in the night time so put on the tv to distract me. It works well to take my mind off.

Got a pre treatment meeting on Friday. Will post updates. 

All the best. 

Thank you mai7, I will try my best not to worry x

Community Champion

Hi Carolyn, try not to worry too much about side effects early on.  Early reactions are quite rare. Most people develop side effects from the cumulative effect so they donโ€™t start kicking in until youโ€™re further along.  I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit.  I think the build up to the first chemo session is worse than the actual chemo! Xx

Thank u for your advice and well wishes, it means a lot x

Hi Carolyn,  I know itโ€™s very daunting but if I can get through it you can.  

First, the cold cap - for the FEC bit I guess about 2.5 - 3 hours as the cold cap has to be fitted which takes 10 mins or so - the care assistants are the experts on our unit and they come along and sort it out. While thatโ€™s done the nurses put the line in for the drugs and do all their bits.  The actual admin of drugs takes about 20 - 30 mins between the pre and post cold cap times.  For the T the admin of drugs takes an hour so although the cold cap time is less so it works out about the same.  I have never had a headache with it and to be honest donโ€™t find it an issue at all. Everyone is different so worth trying. 

I had a rocky start and ended up in hospital on my first cycle with febrile neutropenia  (donโ€™t let that worry you, it happens) and have been on a reduced dose since.  Main issue for me has been nausea which finally on the last cycle I managed to keep under control. Worse on FEC than T,  but they will give you medication to manage symptoms so donโ€™t worry.  I am pleased I have nearly finished and before you know it you will have too. You will find the support on here that you need and lots of advice which is helpful.  xxx

Hi Carolyn, I was an April 19 starter, also fec t like you. I didn't cold cap, I am prone to migraine and thought it might bring one on. I have nice wig for occasional use but hair growing back now. I found chemo scary too, but we get through it. I did get sick with the first one, but just take all the anti sickness pills you need, the nurses were lovely and I was well cared for. We are all different for side effects. You'll soon be counting off the days to the finish, rather than to the start, and that's a good feeling. Good luck Mo x   

Thank you wolvesgirl, thatโ€™s a great help. 
how long were you there in total then with the added cold cap time?

and did it give you a really bad headache? Do the nurses put the cap on for you? 
What symptoms have you had throughout chemo? 
sorry for all the questions. Glad you are nearly at the end of your course.. starting is very daunting x

Hi Carolyn

I am on the August 2019 group - I have had 5 out of 6 FEC-T cycles and have cold capped for all.  I did lose a fair amount of my hair but I am really glad that I tried it - I certainly didnt lose it all.  It is now growing back pretty quickly even though I have not finished but its thin and fine compared to being thick and coarse as it was before.  I am sure it will find its way back to its original state eventually!  My advice, give it a go - you have nothing to lose.  Its not that bad, just makes you feel cold, but the unit will keep you comfortable.  The worst thing is that for the FEC bit, you have to have cold cap for 30 minutes before treatment and 90 mins after but for the T bit, its 30 before and 20 after (although the treatment takes a little longer) but to me that was a small price to pay.  Good luck!!  Wolvesgirl xx

Hi, Iโ€™m Carolyn.. Iโ€™m 44 and start my chemo on 3 Dec, am really nervous!! 
Saw my oncologist yesterday and the side effects are scaring me to hell.

i start Fec-t, 6 rounds, every 3 weeks. 
I have idc grade 2, 5cm, 1 lymph node involved, her2 neg. 

starting with chemo to hopefully shrink tumour prior to surgery. 
wondering whether to try cold cap as my bcn said itโ€™s unlikely to work. X

Community Champion

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi
๐Ÿ‘‹ 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in December 2019.  Iโ€™m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum: http://lifeafterlola.blogspot.com/p/chemotherapy.html

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don't immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

Best wishes xx