63451members
333921posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

What wig place dyu mean the hospitals provision. Nurse told me they had this but I couldn’t be bothered to go there so got em from wish.com. Ones a bit plasticky but the long hair ones ok looks ok. Been looking at ladies with false hair as their everyday norm and decided to be creative with it. Not quite Cher more like Sonny 🀣

Lady34

i only have 1 for now.. I’ll wait and see if I need it 🀞🀞

Are yours nice? It’s so hard isn’t it.. and I did have a mini meltdown in the wig place 😒x

Dj43 I bought 2 wigs couldn’t decide so ones a bob ones shoulder length. Start chemo tomorrow with cold cap. 

BW

xxx

Blimey I’m longing for a swim. Anyway guess you know best. The thermometer I got one yesterday guess you’ve got one. Ring your nurse if needed. 

BW 

xxx

Lady 34.      Nah, I’ll see how it is.. they only strap up a broken toe anyway, which is what I’ve already done.

i was told by my oncologist def no swimming or jacuzzi/ hot tub xx

Human again! Fantastic and so soon. Hoping I’m the same want to get back to swim and sauna. Will see. Your toe! You going to hospital I guess ASAP. 

Best wishes

xxx

Dj43 Great to know this love these words shrunk, disappeared......πŸ˜€

yes wishing us all positive reactions to chemo 

xx

Dj43

my Xmas do is Saturday night this week, and I certainly won’t feel up to it.. still not quite feeling myself yet, but you may be different. 
I have a wig in place too (not Brian May or Bowie tho πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚) and a few hats. 
do try the cold cap.. u will tolerate it, after the 1st 15 mins, it’s just a little uncomfortable but you’ll get used to it.. def worth a try! 
xx

Oh no Carolyn99! Hope it's not broken, maybe just staved (don't know if that's just a Scottish word, lol, so hope it makes sense).

I'm so glad the side effects cleared quite quickly but you're right I really don't fancy weekly either! She felt ok throughout though so that's good.

I don't start mine til next week (Thurs) had booked my Xmas night out with work on the Saturday but I don't think I'll be up for it. I'll see how I feel on the Saturday morning. If I'm not too nauseated I might go along just for the meal and come away before the drinking starts 😁.  Hate to miss my Xmas night out.πŸŽ„ Going for my wig consultation today, although I will try the cold cap, I thought I might as well get  the wig incase the cold cap isn't successful or I don't tolerate it well.

Not sure which wig to go for... can't decide between Brian may or David Bowie circa 1980, lol.

Dj43

oh, that sounds very positive. 
hope all ours behave like that! I don’t think I’d fancy weekly chemo, 3 weekly is enough for anyone.

had mine on tues afternoon, and I’m feeling almost Human now, so not so bad ladies. Xx

although I stubbed my little toe last night, and pretty sure it’s broken ( I’m the clumsiest person ever) xx

My marker was put in when they took the biopsies, I think the radiographer was so sure the lump was sinister.  I didn't feel it in the slightest. 

My friends' colleague recently had chemo before surgery for triple negative BC, the tumour had halved in size after one pulse. She was getting hers weekly though. By the time she had completed the chemo they couldn't see it at all so the surgery was guided by the marker that they had put in!

Hope we all have such a good response to treatment. 🀞

Me too.. there’s that many different drugs and treatments, it’s mind blowing. 
when I went for my chemo yesterday, there were so many different cancers being treated and so many different types of chemo. 
keep in touch on here ladies, and we can share our journey together (the good, the bad and the ugly) xx

Yes hopeful and I’m also grateful that all these treatment options exist. 

Xxx

Also did have a scan not sure if it was ultra sound. It was to get clear images of where the clip was 

Thank u ladies.. fingers crossed for us all xx🀞

Lady34 - I have to say, they do seem to be very positive about shrinking things. It does make you feel hopeful which can only be good!

Carolyn99 - my marker coil was done with guided ultrasound (I think!) and they give you a good dose of local anaesthetic so it doesn't hurt, you are just aware of them manoeuvring. You'll be fine Smiley Happy Oh and if you need painkillers after they said to take paracetemol, not aspirin or ibuprofen as that is more likely to bring out the bruises.

Ultra sound not mine. Mine was put in by a radiologist slight sting that’s all then cotton wool wipe due to spot of blood. Then plaster on it. I asked him if he’d pierced the actual tumor. He said yes. I asked if this could cause cells to spread from it. He said no. 

Xxx

Lady34 

I’m getting a marker clip put in on fri under ultrasound.. is it the same thing? And does it hurt? Xx

Same here fec-t chemo 3 lots before surgery in February. Had a pin put in where the Tumor is told this is needed as after chemo tumor can disappear so they can’t see where it was. I said what even after just the first dose! Yes it does happen 

Felt hopeful hearing this. 

That’s all we can do.

im having my chemo before surgery too. Hoping this thing shrinks enough and does what it’s meant to do 🀞xx

will need radiotherapy after surgery. It’s a long road isn’t it.. but we’ll get there xx

Carolyn99 I hope the cold capping works for you. Keep us posted!

I've got 3 cycles of EC to be followed by 4 cycles of Pertuzumab, Trastuzumab and Docetaxel... then surgery... then 14 more PTD. Can't look too far ahead atm though, just dealing with each stage at a time.

Silvertong

i have injections from tomorrow for just 3 days. 
which chemo are u having? mines 3x FEC, 3x t

i was told I’ll prob lose at least 30-40% of my hair (maybe all) who knows?

but as I have lots of hair, I thought I’d give cold capping a go. I was there 3.5 hours in all xx

Glad you had your friend with you Carolyn99 Woman Happy I decided against cold capping as I currently have very long hair and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose it. So, time for a change! (although not quite yet...)

Although I was going to have someone with me I went it alone which was probably just as well as my treatment is administered by the nurse very slowly pushing the plunger on about 5 syringes. She was lovely. I seemed to be okay whilst it was happening although possibly a little metallic taste at the back of my mouth and at the end my nose felt a bit weird, like it was going to run.

Not looking forward to starting on the 'goody bag' of meds. Especially not the injections - I've got 7 days of those!!! Woman Surprised

Hi girls, just a quick update after my 1st chemo yesterday afternoon.

i didn’t manage to eat my dinner last night, felt too nauseous. Managed 1 crumpet this morning, and ha d just eaten a tin on tomato soup, which tasted heavenly.. just what I needed.

diorrhea finished by this morning, thank goodness. Only vomited last night once, around midnight.
Are any of u trying the cold cap? I did, and wasn’t anywhere as bad as I expected it to be.. more uncomfortable than painful. 
my best friend came with me, so kept me entertained xx

Thanks for the diet link very useful. 

Hi Carolyn

great you’ve done the first. Doesn’t sound too bad. Have a good rest. 

Xxx

https://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/during_treat/expert-qa

Found this which might be useful for anyone wondering about diet.

Thanks fluffball,

I'll eat like I did in pregnancy then, just to be safe but surprised that there was absolutely no mention of this at my chemo prep meeting and nothing about it in the booklets ( well not that I've seen so far... still wading through them) but yeah I'm with you I'm thinking surely turmeric or matcha present in small amounts in diet must be fine. Obviously I won't take supplements with more concentrated doses (I don't anyway) but a healthy diet with no unpasteurised foods should be ok.

I'll avoid pomegranate and grapefruit just incase, don't want anything to interfere with the chemo working as it should 🀞.

Xxx

Dj43, I think for the most part be guided by a pregnancy diet - ie you avoid foods with a higher risk of giving you food poisoning  so most soft cheeses, soft ice cream from a machine, cold or reheated rice etc etc. It's been a long time since I was pregnant, but most of that I found was common sense. Anything with live bacteria culture, live yoghurt etc is recommended to be avoided, similar to any live virus inoculation, just don't have the ability to fight and use the culture's in the right way at various points of your treatment. Grapefruit and pomegranate are both well known fruits that interfere with a lot of drugs and seem to be advised against on chemotherapy vy many doctors, as is turmeric and a few of the stronger spices around, they can be pretty potent, but I can't see how a slice of grapefruit in a fruit salad or a sprinkle of turmeric within a meal would make too much difference  I'm treating things like that more as an "intolerant" rather than "allergic" guideline myself. 

Problem is, this sort of advice seems to differ from area to area, and doctor to doctor, the number of times I've seen different people being told quite contradicting advice over diet etc from different consultants is astonishing.

Overall, just remember your ability to fight even a mild food poisoning is going to be very low, especially for the first couple of weeks of your cycle, so if you want to treat yourself to some soft cheese, make it a small amount, in the third week of your cycle to get rid of that cheese craving (it's Christmas - my cheese board!! 😭) - simply exercise common sense, if you get a tummy issue, make a note of what you've eaten in case there is a link.

Green teas I've never seen mentioned as a don't drink, if anything they are recommended, I have a variety flavour pack in to compensate for changing taste buds.. 

Carolyn, here's hoping today is kind to you, take it easy, be nice to yourself and be sure to tell us when you're pleasantly surprised at how few problems you get! πŸ€— πŸ’– 😘

Me, off with some work friends for brekkie and cocktails before all this starts! 😁 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Turmeric, matcha powder are no no’s too as is Brie. Wash all salad and veg too ❀️ Glad you’ve already got your team on it πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Best of luck for tomorrow Silvertong.  Hope it all goes well and you feel ok with it.xx

Hi ladies,

I had my oncologist appointment today to go over chemo plan. I start next Thursday.  They never said anything about foods so now I'm wondering what things are restricted and why. I drink green tea with lemon a couple of times a day, is it not allowed?? What's wrong with pomegranate? I thought plenty fruit n veg was recommended for vitamins and minerals πŸ€”.

Hi Carolyn99,

Glad it wasn't too bad, hope you're feeling better after a good sleep. Xx

Hi girls.. well had my first chemo session this afternoon.. was ok.. felt fine during. 
cold cap a little uncomfortable, but very doable.. just wrap yourself up warm and sip a warm drink.

about an hour after I got home, had a few bouts of diarrhoea and very sleepy.. felt sick, but wasn’t.

been drinking plenty of fluids. Just got into bed now.. hopefully I have a good nights sleep. Temp a little low.

ill see how I feel tomorrow.

i had FEC xx

Thanks Shi will check already gave in a list of stuff I have including green tea. They’re going to let me know what I can continue or stop having. Pomegranate and grapefruit is definitely not allowed. 

Xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Please check with your oncs about any supplements and kimchi stuff you have to avoid certain things during chemo, so please keep safe πŸ‘πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Hi Silvertong, Debelina and all

im starting on Friday morning. Im taking my hubby plus told to bring food or snacks as could be there all day. 

Going to make kimchi tomorrow and buy sauerkraut as want to boost gut bacteria. 

Xxx

Hi Silvertong me neither. I'm not starting until the 16th and I can't prepare mentally for chemo at all Smiley Embarassed Are you bringing anything nice to help you get through your first treatment? x

I'm starting neo adjuvant chemo tomorrow with 3 cycles of EC to be followed by 4 cycles of PTD before surgery. Not looking forward to it!

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Found a few tinsel wigs worked well over Christmas get treating yourselves πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Debelina! 😲 Sacrilege! 😲 Not be able to eat your Christmas Dinner?? Of course you will!!! 😁 😁 The sprouts at the very least! 😁

And hey, if you have no hair just think how much time you'll save when getting up in the morning, all that extra energy to enjoy the holiday season - oh yay!! 😁

It is nice when your family talk openly and relaxed with you about it though, I think that's more than half the battle won already.., 

Lady34 try not to worry.......I don't have an up to date will either and I am a total list maker...….I actually think it could be my hobby. It's strange the things that pop into our heads now that we feel we need to do x

Oh lord my chemo brain has started already and I haven't even started......I didn't read everyone's dates of their start dates and planning meetings correctly....massive apologies x

Hi everyone.....just checking in with you all after my oncology appointment which went ahead despite the nurses strike.

Carolyn88 and Lady34 I will be thinking of you tomorrow for your first chemos and you too DJ34 for your planning meeting.

Lady34 I only saw my new breast for the first time today as all my dressings are now finally off. I'm still a bit overwhelmed seeing my body and the scars for the first time. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable by describing anything else but please feel free to PM me if you want anymore info....what I can tell any of you considering the type of reconstruction I had is that any pain is absolutely bearable with the pain relief......I was able to stop taking paracetamol 8 days after my surgery. I was able to walk (slowly) the day after my operation. The physio is not painful. This was the right decision for me.

My chemo is now confirmed for Tuesday 17th....I go in on the Monday to have bloods checked and may even have it then depending how quick the results come back. I am having FEC-T, Herceptin and Perjeta. The FEC-T is 6 cycles followed by the Herceptin & Perjeta every three weeks for one year but on different days. Alongside that I will have Tamoxafin so I am totally petrified but grateful at the same time that there is this treatment available to prolong my cancer reoccurring.

When my son asked me how it went today I said sooooooo basically I did need chemo and by Christmas Day I may not have any hair and might not be able to eat Christmas dinner to which he replied 'yeah but then again you might'...… I love that child Smiley Happy

I'm off to make a list now for my Chemo bag thank you Fluffball for taking the time to share yours.

Bye for now x

Hi Carolyn

All the best for starting chemo. I’m starting Friday morning. Dreading it too but at the same time want to be free of any rogue cells. 

Xxx

Hi Everyone 

I start chemo this Friday the 6th. Was going to do a chemo shop for stuff for myself after chemo. So useful to read the shopping tips of what may be needed. Been worried about feeling sick so ginger bickies tips great. The rest I will buy on Wednesday. Been away visiting family in Hull for couple of days back tomorrow got to get a new bed delivered for a friends flat. So first day to focus on myself is Wednesday. For me I think it’s better to keep busy as if I think about the chemo then the OP in February I get anxious not just about the treatment but about all sorts of things like I haven’t got an up to date will!

Im dreading having all the chemo chemicals in my body because I’m not into medication in general. I’m hardly ill. I’ve researched their contents and found out some are plant derivatives. 

I read on here of a pre treatment meeting where the cold cap was measured for and blood test done. I’ve not been offered this at my meeting just a talk on managing after chemo and confirmed the drugs I’ll be given. 

So now I’m worried they’ve not done a blood test even. As someone here has said so wisely. Many have been exactly where we are now gone through all these treatments and are fine now. 

Wishing us all all strength and courage

xxx

πŸ˜‚ Shi, I'm already very aware of the side effects to steroids. .. Try having a child with chron's disease who is also autistic on a starting dose of 60 steroids, 1 injection and about 8 other tablets every day and tell me if I reckon I'll manage! Β‘

Must admit my sleeping has changed already through inactivity, going from 6-7 hours a night to around 4-5 now and it's all I need - boredom is my worst enemy πŸ˜” I'll just have to go annoy all my work colleagues on a more regular basis! 😜

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Turns with the baton, sorry text gremlins, but extra points to those who manage a bargin too πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fluff ball ❀️ Wait till all your steroids kick in you’ll be chatting away at all hour of the day and night ❀️ Because you will always be there for each other πŸ‘­πŸ‘­ it’s bit like a relay race where you take it in turns with the bargin, sometime there will be a few of you having chemo in same day, they can run together while rest of thread cheers you all on etc πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ˜πŸ˜keep πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΎβ€β™‚οΈ πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ‘πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx