354980posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

By the way, I had some physio today to help with cording after my axillary node clearance, and it really helped. A bit painful and slightly nauseating having someone massage in to my mastectomy scars an underarm (no recon yet) 🤢, but glad I had it done. If anyone wondering whether worth the bother/wait, I’d recommend it. I’m sure many don’t, but I’d been a bit squeamish about massaging the scar, and I feel it got me past that X

Highlighted

Good to hear from you Carolyn99. Thinking of you as you go thru’ the next cycle. Sorry to hear about the cold cap - lots of love ❤️

Highlighted

Lady 34

i has my 3rd chemo yesterday and didn’t cold cap.. have lost so much hair now I didn’t see the point. I didn’t want it to be more painful either.

it was nice to only be there 1.5 hours too. And I felt better not having that horrid cap in. Good luck for Friday xx

Highlighted

2 rounds down for me and full Mastectomy was in November - I'm hoping to get out of the house later even if its just a ride in the car! Reassuring to know I'm not alone in this! Hope we are all feeling brighter soon x 

Highlighted

Hey adelemc and mrss1968, yes days 5&6 are low points for me. Even adjusting/reducing steroids didn’t stop my tears on day 5 evening this cycle. I think I’m on day 7 now. Just went for a walk, and can almost see that things might pick up. Big hug to you both Xx 

Highlighted

What round are you adelemc? I'm round 2 EC, day 6 and feel dreadful. Have felt like this for a couple of days. Tired, no energy, little taste, aching from firmagastrin injections. Totally fed up x

Highlighted

Does anyone one else take a dip about 5/6 days post Chemo - feel so drained and want to have a word with myself! 

Highlighted

Onwards and upwards lady34 x

Highlighted

Hi madcatlady 

Blood test ok. Felt a bit of anxiety just going to the hospital realised I was breathing differently. Stood in the foyer saw many people. Had a word with my frightened self. Asked her to respect that many of these people are here fighting for their lives and I’m one of them. 

I must battle my way forward like the 70,000 other women with cancer in the uk are doing.

Big girl pants time 😀 I’m on it.

Going to wear my nice bob wig on Friday and decided not to have the cold cap.

Onwards ladies 🍀☘️🌿🙏🏽💕🐈 

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

Hope you got on okay with your blood test and are set for chemo no.3. 

xx

Highlighted

Ha, Debbie, yeah, to be fair, he's a good kid, plus he gets paid by us for various chores etc just before he goes on holiday each year so he has some extra spending money - kids know which side their breads buttered on!! 😁 

Highlighted

Aaahhhhhhh Fluffball.......sorry ten year old thinks ur old 🙈 On the positive side at least you were ‘cool’ enough for a 10 year old to even exchange a few words with 😘

@Fluffball wrote:

Needed someone to dash to the chemist for me today, my neighbour sent round her 10 year old lad for instructions, I know him pretty well, watched him grow up...

*rather annoyed looking ten year old rings the doorbell*

10yr old - "mum says you wanted something and told me to get a list from you"

Me - "thanks *name*, it's not much, I won't keep you from your girlfriend"

10yr old - "eeeuwww, girls! Girls are awful!"

Me - "gee, thanks for that!"

10yr old - "well, you're not a girl, you're old!"

Me - "yeah, Ummm, that's all right then!“

Gosh, I'm glad mines grown up!!! 😁 😂 

Highlighted

Needed someone to dash to the chemist for me today, my neighbour sent round her 10 year old lad for instructions, I know him pretty well, watched him grow up...

*rather annoyed looking ten year old rings the doorbell*

10yr old - "mum says you wanted something and told me to get a list from you"

Me - "thanks *name*, it's not much, I won't keep you from your girlfriend"

10yr old - "eeeuwww, girls! Girls are awful!"

Me - "gee, thanks for that!"

10yr old - "well, you're not a girl, you're old!"

Me - "yeah, Ummm, that's all right then!“

Gosh, I'm glad mines grown up!!! 😁 😂 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Glad you are ok but during chemo best to always ring your rapid response just to be safe ❤️😘💕💕shi xx

Highlighted

Ladiessssss.........thank you for your advice.......I am truly amazed to tell you that omg I dont know if I can.....ok I’ll just go for it.......my itchiness had disappeared this morning when I woke up.......along with most of hair in that particular area......as with my head hair and eyebrows..... no thinning......it just left......the nurse at the chemo unit told me in her 20+ years I was one of the very few people whose hair reacted so quickly and without mercy 🙈 However after taking Shi’s advice I did put a call into oncology......thank you Shi x

Today I woke up like Debbie again so hopefully the angry steroid ‘come down’ has been avoided this cycle......I celebrated by drawing on some eyebrows, ironing (I am a real home bird and actually love having the energy for housework) and slathering the last of my eyelashes in Mascara as I know they will probably be away tomorrow and wanted a diva moment with them until they return!!!!!!

I hope we all manage to have a restful nite.

Debbie x

Highlighted

Lynlucy yes our lives have changed so much. Mine has anyway. I’m not doing most things I used to and I can’t wait for this intensive treatment part to be behind me. 

Clyclizine 50mg is the nausea my consultant offered instead of domperione cos I asked her if she had anything better. Trouble is it makes me drowsy for an hour or so but works a bit better. 

One tip for mouth issues nurse told me salt water and warm water rinse the mouth a few times a day especially if rash is arriving. 

😀🍀 Onwards ladies 🍀😀

Highlighted

Lady34.  Seems you are finding some things that are working for you. Isn’t that how our lives have become? I developed very bad heartburn and now just added Prilosec to my morning routine. It seems to keep it at bay for the most part. 
Good luck on your chemo #3. We are moving along ladies. Soon this part will be in our rear view mirrors! Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies old and new 

Bloating issues I’ve managed to keep at bay after trail and error I take a dulcolax it’s a light laxative just enough to keep everything moving wind too. 

Been having an an ice lolly before I eat to shock tastebuds! Works a bit. Sleeping as much as needed ready for 3rd chemo on 18th

got blood test tomorrow. 

Not sure if I’ll bother with cold cap as hairs dropped a lot. 

3rd chemo? Seems like times moved fast. 

Sending best wishes to all in the group good luck 🍀🍀🍀 on our unique journeys 🍀🍀🍀

Highlighted

Hi Fluffball 

Ten years without medication for depression and anxiety just shows how strong you are. As Debelina says, it's one day at a time with this awful situation we're in.

xx

Highlighted

Hiya Debbie

Really laughed when you described your head...I look like some kind of pointy alien with fluffy bits. I had hoped to look more sophisticated but clearly I've been pointy-headed all along...

I echo what the others have said about thrush - the cream helps and I have had the need to dab some on but it's best to check if antibiotics are needed as well. (Although they gave me thrush last time so it's a bit of a vicious circle...)

Really pleased to hear you feel better mentally this time 👍😁

xx

Highlighted

Sorry, just to clarify debelina... realised my response was confusing about the thrush.

I meant you can get a canesten treatment that comes in the form of a single tablet (hence it’s called ‘once’) not that it’s for treatment of oral thrush (which is what it looks like I meant 🙄) I only mention it as it may be suitable and save you a load of additional applications etc. 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Debelina, please phone your rapid response number and discuss with them, if it is thrush it will need antibiotics and with you being day 6 you need to keep safe ❤️ Better to make that call and be sure. Please don’t delay till morning. Being on chemo and something ‘cropping up’ no matter how insignificant you might think it is, it is not like usual when bodies immune system is firing on all cylinders, the chemo wipes your immune system. Sending ❤️Please make the call and check, your team will be glad you are being vigilant. 💕💕shi xx

Highlighted

Hey debelina, I think it sounds like thrush too. I think canesten do a ‘once’ oral treatment they may or may not be suitable with chemo, but worth checking if it is. From memory, another lady on the forum enquired about something very similar a few weeks back, and someone else with similar symptoms said hers had happened before losing her hair down there, but the itchiness has gone away after the hair had all fallen out. Either way, I’m sure you can get this sorted. Best to check in with the chemo nurses.

Fiona, I know exactly what you mean about the relentless shedding everywhere. I got my husband to take mine down to a grade 3 from 6, but it’s still somehow all over the place...
I feel for you fluffball about taking the medication again. Taking them if you feel you need to, doesn’t diminish your achievement though. This bloody disease just feels like it takes you everywhere you really don’t want to go physically and mentally. 

On the old Hobson’s choice with the steroids, I’ve chosen not to take anywhere near as many and tail them off. I took just 2 at breakfast day 2 (instead of 2 at breakkie 2 at lunch) and only one yesterday and another today. Undecided whether I’ll do another one tomorrow with breakfast or just stop...
Hope is still there that I might make it through day 5 this time without a mental crash. Time will tell!  X

Highlighted

Mrs1968 I too cannot cope without sleep and the first thing I said at my last chemo appointment was that I needed sleeping tablets.....I had been taking nytol before my operation but knew they weren’t seeing me thru the nite......I had been given zopiclone 7.5mg and am taking one for the three nights after my steroids finish......first FEC they didn’t work the nights I was on steroids so for me it was an unnecessary prescription.

Fluffball I totally understand what you mean about the anti depressants....I was on Sertraline for anxiety for many years and came off them just prior to beginning chemo and I am so proud (actually a bit like a peacock) of myself for being able to feel that I was strong enough to do this.....however truth be told I don’t how long I will last but one day at a time 😘

Thanks for you advice re the cream application.....I am off Boots tomorrow first thing 😊😊😊

Highlighted

Thanks Fluffball. Well done for managing without the depression and anxiety meds but don't beat yourself up if you do need them. This is such a mind game (not the word I really want to use). It's a tough marathon.

I did have my hair cut very short but considering getting my husband to cut it on s grade 1/2 with his clippers.

Keep taking duvet days whenever you need them x

Highlighted

@MrsS1968 wrote:

Hi Debelina

I have a gorgeous wig that looks like my hair used to. I'm on EC and I think the hair loss is a bit slower than FEC. I have accepted it, but it's the mess that's getting on my nerves.

Definitely feeling rougher this time. Mild nausea. I have taken the steroids but have been taking a temazapam those nights to help me sleep. I'm useless without sleep. 

Xxx

Yup, I thing the "F" in FEC stands for "**bleep** off hair"  I'm on EC too and although I shaved to start my hair is still regrowing in patches!! 😁 Bloody nuisance, having to shave now! 😲

Almost five weeks in and yet to have my second EC though and getting very frustrated at delays.. Determined not to resort to anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets etc as I've battled depression all my life and the beginning of this year was so chuffed to say I've been tablet free for ten years! Makes it far tougher to go back...

I'm lucky in the sense that I have no children that depend on me and if I need to take a duvet day it's rarely a problem, just trying no to let that become a habit! But have accepted the occasional (and so far it is occasional thankfully) sleepless night and find the key is not worrying about it for me, easier said than done though...

Hugs and hopes it stays manageable.. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Debelina

I have a gorgeous wig that looks like my hair used to. I'm on EC and I think the hair loss is a bit slower than FEC. I have accepted it, but it's the mess that's getting on my nerves.

Definitely feeling rougher this time. Mild nausea. I have taken the steroids but have been taking a temazapam those nights to help me sleep. I'm useless without sleep. 

Xxx

Highlighted

I echo fiona, it does sound like thrush, I got the duo with the duo creams, one for internal, one external before I started all this as I know for me, stress triggers thrush 😔 

Warning - next bit descriptive personally:

All I do nowadays at the first sign of itchiness etc is get ou a pack and use a little of the external with my fingers inside me coating myself and then use the external around all my external bits, with a nice clean panty liner, then whenever I need a wee I reuse the external each time and change panty liner, using the external around three times a day.

If I catch this at the start of it I tend to find it keeps it from getting full on. 

If I've not had a chance to do this within 24 hours of feeling itchy I follow the instructions and use it as instructed, with a spare pack to use the extra external cream.

The pack with the tablet is probably an idea too, as I imagine it will help if you're developing it in the mouth, however - ALL of this I know can be provided by your team via prescription, so what I've done is had plenty in to start then if I've used it asked for a prescription to replace it, therefore no waiting!

Gish... Does any of that make sense??

Highlighted

Hi Mrs1968......Thank you I am going to phone in the morning.....especially it that’s all I need to clear it up!

I am on day 6 after my 2nd FEC and definitely coping better mentally this time but the sickness is really horrible but I knew it was going to be because I asked for a reduction in my steroids.....to be honest I am so happy not feeling black that I don’t even worry about having to scoot into the bathroom now. Are you able to sleep at all Mrs1968?

My hair literally fell out on Day 12 of my first FEC followed by my eyebrows on Day 13......it was very traumatic but all gone by day 18.....I have a few eyelashes left but to be honest I am more traumatised by the fact that my head has been shaped like a cone all my life and I never even knew 😂😂😂😂 My wig is blonde and a bob.......I had long dark hair before and I am neverrrrrr having long hair again.....I love being blonde and short......I took my wig to a lady who steamed and cut it to suit my face better......omg she is an Angel......how r u getting on with yours......I feel bad for you if it’s just coming out in bits......looking back I’m kinda lucky I didn’t got thru the shedding phase 😳

Highlighted

Hi Debelina

It could be thrush (I have had it once before from antibiotics) and it was very itchy. I know thrush in the mouth is common with chemo so I'm guessing it's a possibility "down below". You could phone the helpline to check and you can get Canesten in Boots. I had a pessary and cream.

How are you all feeling? I am day 4 round 2 and have been feeling rougher than round 1. Hairfall getting annoying and messy now. They don't tell you about the practical side of hair loss ie minimising getting it absolutely everywhere in the house, on clothes etc. Just want it gone now!

Fiona x

Highlighted

Thank u ladies x

Fluffball I love your pill pockets......it’s a great idea 🙂

I am here to ask a realllyyyyyyyyy personal question......I am mortified but I reallyyyy do not want to ring my oncology helpline in case this is normal but I am itchy (not sore) and a bit swollen down below......my temperature is good and last week at chemo I told my Dr I thought I was taking cystitis so had been taking those little sachets......do you my unusualness is being caused my all the different meds we have to take......I haven’t had thrush before so I don’t know how that feels 😔

Highlighted

Debbie

Stay strong  even when you need a break from the forum, remember you're not alone in this xxx

Highlighted

Hi Debbie

Sending you lots of love and strength. The bad week will pass...just hold onto that.

xx

Highlighted

Sending you loads of love, Debbie. Keep going ❤️😘

Highlighted

@Debelina wrote:

Hello ladies...….omg just catching up on all the conversations...….I just wanted to say how amazing you all are......I honestly can't believe the strength you all have, the wonderful advice passed onto each other and the understanding when we need to take a break from the forum (this has been a pulverising (is that even a word?) week for me.....the courage you all have given me over the past hour just reading your posts.....I am in bits and in a good way x

Much love......Debbie x

Oh Debbie... 

Big hugs being sent your way, hope you start picking up again, I think the hardest thing about all tuis is accepting that we are going to have some really good days and some ultra crappy days, and it's gonna be tougher every time we get low, especially if we start feeling bad for feeling crappy and cycle ourselves even further down the road to blackness. . 

But... Allow yourself to have the bad times, the good times are so much more appreciated then... 

Been to watch 1917 today - if you want to go see a film that allows you to cry a little but also makes you think about being a human being and what it means, well worth watching... X

Highlighted

Hello ladies...….omg just catching up on all the conversations...….I just wanted to say how amazing you all are......I honestly can't believe the strength you all have, the wonderful advice passed onto each other and the understanding when we need to take a break from the forum (this has been a pulverising (is that even a word?) week for me.....the courage you all have given me over the past hour just reading your posts.....I am in bits and in a good way x

Much love......Debbie x

Highlighted

Thank you for you tip! I had my first on the second cycle today and feel wiped out! Will try before bed tomorrow 😊

Highlighted

Hi all, I struggled with the injections on my first cycle to the point of them being the thing I dreaded the most in the second cycle. They made me feel totally off the planet and my bones and joints literally throbbed !! The second cycle I took them at night and took a loratidine about half an hour before and it was a game changer for me! So much better! 

Highlighted

@MrsS1968 wrote:

Thanks Lynne

I had mine days 4 to 11. My main problem was headaches but on the last night I had very intense bone pain in my femur, my jaw, knees and shoulders. I was doing them in the mornings but will switch to evenings next round to see if it helps. 

Having my pre chemo assessment tomorrow so will find out what my neutrophils are doing!

Im on the same injection regime. Days 4-11 and also had bad joint and bone pain, i take them in the evening but havnt taken them out of the fridge half hour before so will have to give it a try. Also thinking of taking antihistamines first to see if that helps!

Highlighted

Yes, I think I might.. mrss1968! Not as short and see through as it is now, but definitely shorter than I used to have it Xx

Highlighted

Rizzer I am tempted to keep it short as it's so easy! I guess I will see how I feel at the other end. Will you? X

Highlighted

Thanks Mrss1968! Showing solidarity. I think your pixie cut really suits you, lady. Any thoughts on staying short when it grows back? XX 

Highlighted

Stunning lynlucys!

Highlighted

Totally rocking it, rizzer!!!

Highlighted

Lynlucys and rizzer, looking fab, and well done for getting the pics on! I will try...

xx

Highlighted

Thanks MrsS1968

🤞 it doesn't seem too bad at the moment so I'm about to risk a cup of tea and a cereal bar...

xx

Highlighted

Fluffball, now I know why mine is giving me a wide berth!! Yep, chemo bottom as well as chemo brain - the evil twins.

My balance is rubbish at the best of times with my dodgy ears so I'd be more likely to headbutt the pole than slink seductively around it 🤣

xx

Highlighted

Lynlucys... Looking good lady! 😘

Highlighted

Day after chemo 2.Day after chemo 2.

Highlighted

6458EEB5-F6E4-4128-9250-7B20BC7E1FAF.jpeg

Can’t flip it either mrss1968!