Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Thinking of you Lady34. Big hugs Xxx

Highlighted

Hey madcatlady, I sooo know that feeling - and I’ve never taken 16mgs! Keep on rolling with it, lady! 
That book sounds like just the sort of masochistic stuff I would pick up deliberately, hoping to get some insight, but just end up anxious and deflated. 

I think I just want a good laugh really. So if anyone can recommend something that works on that front, please do.

Thinking if you madcatlady... hope you can get some sleep later Xx

Highlighted

Hi Debelina

I couldn't believe it - weird or what?! There really should have been a health warning on the back. I'd never have picked it up if I'd known!

I read all the time normally, fiction and non-fiction, but am finding I haven't got the energy for anything heavy or classic literature at the moment. My sister loves all the dark Scandinavian detective fiction but I think they would be too much for me at the moment. Candyfluff sounds more like it!

I've also been reading old favourites from childhood and the familiarity and going back to a happier time is really helpful.

I've taken the double steroid dose now - four lots breakfast and again at lunch, so 16mg. I've cleaned the house, gone food shopping, washed the wigs I've been lent, am about to strip our bed and put clean sheets on, and have dinner in the oven. I really hope I'll have tired myself out by bedtime but feel a bit wired at the moment! 

xx

Highlighted

OMG freakyyyyyyy Madcatlady……did you mean to pick it or maybe it picked you Smiley Surprised I usually read really gory, scary books but all I can cope with at the minute are books that my sister reads.....I call them her candyfluff books because they are such a gentle read...….x

Highlighted

Thanks so much, Debelina xx.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Double steroids scare me too, but then the thought of an allergic reaction, which they give to try and prevent it, is also scaring me. The phrase 'caught between a rock and the deep blue sea' springs to mind!

I bought several books from a charity shop earlier today. I started one this afternoon; on the back it said it was about two couples, formerly close friends, and something from the past coming back to haunt them. There was no clue, but you'll never guess what the female protagonist's job is....yes, a breast cancer doctor, and the friend has Stage 1V breast cancer. You couldn't credit it, could you?! 

xx

Highlighted

Madcatlady…………...I am gutted we need double steroids on Docetaxel because of the low I get from them....I am more worried about this than the physical side effects. I hope all goes to plan for you on Monday...……….much love xxxxxxx

Highlighted

Lady34...…...I am so sorry to read your post......you must be absolutely pulverised and even more exhausted being away from home...….infections are physically so scary but what I didn't understand before this week is how an infection can effect your body mentally. 

You are so right...….we are definitely are faced with reality when we are in hospital and out of our cocoons at home......please keep us posted on how you are coping.....I hope you get home soon xxxx

Thanks for the picture comments ladies...alas if it weren't for my wig and Boots make-up counter you would be looking at a picture of a hairless steroid puffed up Debbie Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL 

Much love to you all x

Highlighted

Big hugs Lady 34- you are doing it tough xxx

Highlighted

Hi lady34, I’m so sorry to read what you’re going through. It sounds just awful and you must be wondering, how much more have you got to take. We’re here - thinking of and praying for you. Hoping you’ll be home soon, love Xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Right then let’s all have an agadoo dance to help get lady’s neutrophils up (this stems back to May17 thread that used to do a bloods dance for each other if anyone had casa nhs stay) 😁👍it always worked and they were back home safe soon 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻, lady this ones for you, push pineapple shake the tree 😁😁😘💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

That has really made me chuckle - I saw black lace at an 80's festive last year - they were amazing! got everyone up and dancing - bought tickets for this year and booked our hotel before I was diagnosed so that's my first big goal it's not till July so it feel doable - been out for lunch today it was tough as my back has been in spasms today but I just needed to get out!   Hope everyone has as good a weekend as possible Adele x

Highlighted

Oh Shi, Black Lace takes me back to my teens! When I was thin, had two boobs, better eyebrows, no grey hairs, etc, etc, BUT also when I had no idea of what strength there is in us women! 

xx

Highlighted

Oh Lady34, so sorry you're in hospital. I was in this time two weeks ago and it really lowers your spirits. Thank goodness you're now in the oncology ward where the staff are trained in caring for people undergoing chemotherapy.

The antibiotics should sort your infection and the anti-coagulants the arm pain, and the delay before having T will allow you to get stronger. The drugs they give us are pretty nasty and take some coping with, so when you're battling an infection as well, it's no wonder your body struggles and your emotions take a dive too.

Take care of yourself.

xx

Highlighted

Oh, that's great news, Debelina! That big smile says it all.

And you're right: it's now February and we're well on our way now.

I saw the oncologist yesterday and she said they'll do a slightly lower dose (but it's still a full dose apparently) of the docetaxel (T) on Monday, as I've had a couple of hospital stays and they want to avoid it again. 

She told me to expect joint pain, sore mouth, the possible loss of nails, and tiredness. All she could offer was paracetomol...and the steroids for three days are double the dose for FEC. I'm going to be either on the ceiling or very down...not looking forward to it at all! 😬

Take care of yourself.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lady34 ❤️Sorry to hear you are having a stint in casa nhs. Let the drugs do their job, keep strong your neutrophils will suddenly go whoosh and get that infection under control, it’s just the days feel like forever. Discuss with your onc about next treatments, I had reduced dose after casa nhs stint but thought well better reduced dose than nothing, I really didn’t want to do any more, but thought I have to give it another go and was fine on reduced doses for remaining chemos. Right then challenge for today is do the conga on the way to the bathroom while singing it like black lace (if you are old enough to remember them) you have to try and have fun still while you are there 😁 keep 💪💪you can do this 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hello Ladies

long time I’ve been off here. First due to lowness and just managing my tiredness. On Wednesday got 39 temperature got to A and E admitted and still here!

just read your posts fear being the big one. Being here adds to all my fears. The only space they had was in the acute stroke unit yesterday I’ve been put in the oncology unit. 

Ive not eaten since I’ve been here just apples oranges but lost my appetite a week before. The nausea has wiped away my desire to eat. 

Ive got an infection given antibiotics and anticoagulant the arm I had chemo in in December has swollen up and veins are sore. Had a scan on it for blood clots luckily No Clots. They’re talking about a pic. 

The infection isn’t gone so they’re keeping me in. You cannot help thinking of the worst when dealing with these side effect then being dragged down further and stuffed full of more meds. 

My first chemo of T was due on Friday so put off for a bit. To be honest I can’t face more treatment at the moment. I’m half way through got 3xt to go then the op then still every 3 weeks anti body infusions. So still a way to go. 

Sending hugs to all 💕🌲🛎🙏🏽💕

Highlighted

Looking great Deblina 💪💗

Highlighted

Yes, Debelina. You may well not feel it but you certainly look amazing. So glad you’re well enough to go home X

Highlighted

Beautiful photo! You're looking amazing Debelina! Xxx

Highlighted

Ladies coming home from hospital and seeing so many people there with really bad SE to their chemo has made me realise that our wee group are such great wee supporters to each other.....I won't use the word warriors or fighters for us tonight as reading our posts I think we are all just too weary now (but only for a while)...…...but omg this the beginning of February and we are the Dec 2019 Chemo starters...….look how far we have come already......by the end of April hopefully must of us will be thru chemo and those of us who have a year of Herceptin & Perjecta ahead of us will have learned even more about how we are able to determine how our bodies can and cannot tolerate changes to or meds so we are going in more prepared than chemo...…we have to hang on xxxxxx

The Excitement Of Going Home xThe Excitement Of Going Home x

Highlighted

Hi,

I live in Bromley (S London/Kent).

xx

B4

Highlighted

Hi yes it is the docetaxol that does the damage as far as I can remember

Highlighted

@daisydi wrote:

Hi I'm from Feb 19 group.  Regarding nails I couldnt get on with the dark nail varnish either but changed to a product called Evonail which protects from UV but is clear.  My nails took a bashing but they did survive.  I used dark polish on my toenails and they are not nearly as good so I would thoroughly recommend this product.  I got it on Amazon.  It is quite expensive but well worth it.  Lots of luck x Please pop into our thread if you need any more information.  I think between us we have been through everything!

Thanks @daisydi, I will try anything at this stage as they look pretty awful and I’m only halfway!  Going into 3 rounds of Docetaxel next and I have been told that’s harder on your nails than the EC?

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hi I'm from Feb 19 group.  Regarding nails I couldnt get on with the dark nail varnish either but changed to a product called Evonail which protects from UV but is clear.  My nails took a bashing but they did survive.  I used dark polish on my toenails and they are not nearly as good so I would thoroughly recommend this product.  I got it on Amazon.  It is quite expensive but well worth it.  Lots of luck x Please pop into our thread if you need any more information.  I think between us we have been through everything!

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Just gentle reminder to be careful about giving locations out on the threads it’s ope to the world ❤️Keep safe ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hey, I’m near Tunbridge Wells, but just over the border into East Sussex.

I think it’s healthy to set realistic goals Adele 😉 X

Highlighted

Hi Lynne

I have just had my third and last EC and have also been feeling very low. I agree walking helps, as soon as you feel up to it. 

Regarding the black nail varnish, I have also been trying this but I find it chips off so quickly; possibly because I was my hands so often. I usually end up wiping it off after the end of the second week. I was told the theory behind it is that it stops ultra violet light which reacts with the chemo. 

A tip I was given also was to moisturise your nail and cuticle area well when applying hand cream. 

I wish you well with the rest of your treatment. And well done for managing 3 mile walks.

Love mc22 (Maddy)

Highlighted

Morning ladies,

I also was very down earlier this week, definitely must be the se’s after round 3!  I have forced myself out on a 3 mile walk each day for the last 3 days and it has really helped to lift my mood.  I live in Sunningdale near Ascot and am walking distance from Windsor Great Park - so am very lucky to have some wonderful walks close by 🍀

On another note, does anybody have any recommendations to strengthen nails?  My finger nails are just peeling off in layers and are very weak.  I’ve painted them with a dark colour from Day 1, but now there is so little nail left it hardly seems worth it!

Stay strong all 💪💕

Lynne x

Highlighted

Good luck Adele!

I am in North Hertfordshire.

Fiona x

Highlighted

Today's goals ....put a load of washing in ......eat Cake!  And aim to go out tommorow!  Where is everyone based I am in Buckley North Wales very close to Chester 😊 hope everyone has a good weekend 

Adele x

Highlighted

Thanks very much Shi X

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi rizzer one of the thread was the organiser and everyone pm’d their numbers to them and they set the what’s app group up and took it from there. We went for something special in London because well why not 😁 don’t bother trying the ritz, they advised they couldn’t accommodate large group. The arch was utterly fantastic in every way, we had our own waiters and everything, we were totally spoilt and looked after by fabulous staff and the afternoon tea was divine. It certainly was the 5 star it claims it it and beyond. We hired an apartment in London and 6 of us stayed overnight too 😁 it was like being on a school trip again with mates 👍happy planning 😘💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi Shi, thanks for that. Sounds like a nice idea. How did you go about finding each other on WhatsApp? How did you organise yours then without everyone either providing too much info in the public forum or PMing on an individual basis? X

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dig in everyone, it’s around mid point on chemo you have to really focus on the finish 👍👍 start planning your meet up (do on pms or what’s app group) remember the threads are open to the world. It helped us oct17 gang we got so excited planning the meet up gave us all a boost 👍 we had 5 star afternoon tea in a private function room at the arch in Marble Arch London, it wasn’t that expensive and was a real treat as a special one off, anyway happy planning your meet up 😁 it is lovely when you all meet 😁😁 keep 👭everyone 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Yes!!! I'm with you ladies!! I've been feeling really frightened lately and I'm not even close to half way through yet. I find it particularly hard when I'm recovering from chemo so less busy and feeling generally rough. I'm feeling physically better now and have had a lovely day out and about and my mood has been better too.

Thinking of you all, it's hard!

Highlighted

Yes, perhaps it’s something to do with being almost halfway thru’ chemo....and ruminating too much about what’s in store the other side of it. Plus the drugs make you less resilient to intrusive negative thoughts, I guess. 

On one level it’s a comfort to know I’m not the only one, but also sad that some of you are feeling so low too. Big hug to you all. 

It’s strange. I felt like I’d made progress ‘living in the moment’, but I’ve definitely regressed to getting that chilling fear where you don’t think you’ll be one of the ones to make it. Much like I felt just around and after diagnosis. 

I bet it’s a stage that lots of people in our situation go through. If this has taught me anything, it’s that my mood can and will change again. 

A great big holiday sounds like a brilliant idea, Adelemck. 

Sending you all a shed-loads of love Xxx

Highlighted

Hi rizzer

People keep telling me it'll soon be spring, I'm halfway through, that soon it will be over and I'll feel better...but some days I just can't believe them.

My GP told me to just focus upon each bit of the picture to avoid my head exploding. (That's easier said than done when you don't know the new universe you're entering!)

I think we're all struggling with the bigger picture. It helps me to think of the women I know who are years post-diagnosis and how they are able to look forwards. At this point it's too much to get my head around, but hopefully that will change for all of us.

xx

Highlighted

@silvertong wrote:

Madcatlady - nose hair v leg hair: there is a question that is never answered 

True, silvertong, very true! 

I never knew how much I valued nasal hair until it went west...

xx

Highlighted

Must be something in the Air i have had a really low day today ☹️ I also have Crohn's disease and it's decided to play up! But on the bright side my son has just got a flat with his girlfriend only a few mins walk away from us - sending big hugs - no one knows what is round to corner but when my treatment is done I am planning escape in a lovely holiday 😊🥂

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer

there must be something in the air because I have also felt this way in the last couple of days so quite tough to manage! 

I can also empathise with you and hope we get more positive soon ! 

Big hugs 

aurore 

Highlighted

Rizzer- I have been feeling exactly the same the last few days. Feeling a little more positive as my SEs are subsiding, but I totally get where you are coming from.

Not sure what the answer is but I know we have to just keep going with this. My fear is that I go through this awful treatment and it comes back.

Big hugs x

Highlighted

Madcatlady - nose hair v leg hair: there is a question that is never answered Woman Frustrated

Highlighted

Rizzer - I guess technically all our days are numbered, but I don't think you are leaving us just yet. Heart

Highlighted

Hi all, hope you’re all hanging in there, ladies. 
Been struggling with the ‘fear’ last few days. Beautiful day in Sussex. Still can’t shake off the sense that my days are numbered, and that number isn’t a very high one ☹️ 

Highlighted

Hi Adelemck 

Now a McFlurry is on my list if the docetaxel gives me a sore mouth...hope yours brightened you up today 🍦

The tiredness really is a pain, and it's hard to describe it to anyone as it's not really like a normal tiredness.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Debelina

Oh no! Have they kept you in or are you at home now? You wouldn't believe a cold could be so problematic, would you...

That's a good tip about the sore nose. I've got Vaseline everywhere and can't wait to grow nasal hair again. Why have I still got leg hair which I don't need, but no nasal hair which would stop me leaking like a tap with a broken washer?! 

xx

Highlighted

Hi Lynne

So glad you're feeling better and that your walk helped. I had lunch with a friend today and it lifted my mood 😁

Thanks about Monday. Will let you know! 

xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

so scary how bad a cold can be Debelina and well done on finding a positive! Hope your much better soon! 

I am very tired this cycle but do feel brighter in myself and trying to rest as much as I can - was craving Ice Cream today so son drive to McDonald's for a McFlurry 😂 it was lovely! 

Adele x

Highlighted

Hi ladies.....just checking in......I had to go to hospital with a bloody cold.....going thru my 10 hour operation was easier to deal with than this cold.....I actually think I hate the having the cold than taking steroids Smiley Sad

Buttttttttt on a positive note because I cant cope with feeling so negative.....my nose has been running so much it was raw and I couldn't find my Vaseline so I put some of the Iglu rapid relief gel that you use for mouth ulcers onto my nose and it stops the stinging immediately Smiley Very Happy

Love to you all x

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady, feeling a lot better this evening thanks.  Got out for a long walk this afternoon and that really helped with my mood.  

Good luck next Monday, will be interested to see how things go.

Lynne x