352756posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Thanks for the tip B4. They said they will refer me to the radiotherspist once chemo finishes so I'm guessing it will start after our holiday. I see the oncologist on 12th March so can ask more then, but I'm assuming they will fit in around our plans. They seem very pro making me feel like I'm kind of in control. I have found it a very supportive unit.

Highlighted

Hi B4,  I was told by oncologist my radio would start 2-3 weeks after final round of chemo.

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hi Mrs S,

With the antihistaminic- piriton (chlorpheniramine)... such is the sedative effect that I sleep then and wake up only when the whole therapy is about to finish. Just make sure that you take your comfy blanket. With IV dexamethasone 8 mgs - I get very hungry and eat like I have never eaten before.

I have 6 paclitaxels more to go.

Do you know what would be the time interval between last chemo and radiotherapy?

Best wishes

B4

Highlighted

Hi Debelina

We have booked a week in Sardinia for May half term, which will be a couple of weeks after I finish chemo and before radiotherapy. I will be going onto Tamoxifen after all that.

Madcatlady- why are you avoiding the woods? I have been walking on the country paths with no problems (worrying I am missing a risk I hadn't thought of).

I start weekly paclitaxel on Thursday for 9-12 weeks. The pharmacist told me I should expect minimal side effects but some people go into anaphylactic shock when it is given, which is why they give IV steroids and antihistamines beforehand!

Good luck to you all with treatment this week xxx

Highlighted

Hi Debbie

nice to think of a possible holiday or short break. The only thing I was told is to avoid proper sun during treatment. 

For now just looking forward to walking in the woods again. So miss it. Won’t risk it till chemos done. 

Hugs to all πŸ›ŽπŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•πŸ›ŽπŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Hi Deblina, 

I’m also having my first injection of 18 cycles of Herceptin tomorrow and my 1st infusion of Docetaxel on Wednesday (already had 3 rounds of EC).  How did you find the se’s of Docetaxel to date?

Lynne

Highlighted

Hello there ladies.....I hope everyone has coped ok over the weekend.....I am having my first out of 21 cycles of Herception and Perjecta tomorrow over 8 hours and my 4th of 6 cycles of Docetaxol on Wednesday. I too am not looking forward to any new side effects.

On a lighter note when I was having my bloods taken and my Dr's 'chat appointment' the Dr told us we could go on holiday abroad this summer which I didn't think was possible if you were having Targeted Therapy and a Picc Line...we had already decided this wasn't an option for us because I'm sure holiday insurance would be super expensive......have any of you booked a holiday or break away once your chemo has finished? 

Much love to us all - Debbie x

Highlighted

Hi All,

@adelemck, I think all all of us are anxious about the change over to Docetaxel and how our bodies will cope with the change and new se’s - you are not on your own there.

Hope those of you that have had Docetaxel this week are doing ok.

Lynne πŸ’ͺπŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi all, 

Just checking in to see how everyone is? 

I've found cycle 3 harder to bounce back from but do feel brighter and more positive today! Was supposed to go to a friend's 40th tommorow but have ducked out as I'm terrified of infections ☹️   really anxious about Docetaxel as I have Crohn's disease and worried about SE's 

Hope you all have a good weekend

Adele 

Highlighted

Hi all just catching up on everything. I’m sad to hear what a god-awful time you’ve been having lady34 and hodo71. Sounds like you’ve had to β€˜dig deep’ as they say, to get through this... Sending a big hug and hoping for better times ahead. Love to all Xxx

Highlighted

Hodo I’ve only been in once and also hit rock bottom but you mustn’t give in. 

Can you do things to pick yourself up like focus on cramming with vitamin c via oranges berries anything that will boost your vitamins. 

Find things to support immune system because antibiotics in our vulnerable states need help to work. Become a mean vitamin machine till this nightmares over. 

Im having vitamin c effervescent tabs 2000ml a tab, dry apricots, orange slices all day, apple slices, orange and apple juice. 

To be honest the antibiotics can make you feel low leave alone anything else. 

Xxx chin up πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•

Highlighted

This last admission really floored me tbh, I've not felt 100% since being discharged and now back on antibiotics for cellulitis around the site where my hickman line was removed.  It just wont heal and I'm convinced is what keeps sparking my infections but my oncologist doesn't seem keen to change anything till I've tried one dose 😷. I'veiterally had multiple amounts of antibiotic. I've really wavered as it was sepsis last time so its terrified me tbh and I know I need to carry on but have seriously thought about saying "no more " πŸ˜₯ xx

Highlighted

Hi Hodo 

sorry you’ve been in 3 times. I’m staying indoors too as still on antibiotics from the hospital. I’m going to stay indoors as much as possible and priorities avoiding external germs chills colds etc. I’ve only got 3 more of T to go so 21 days times 3 that’s 9 weeks. I’m worth it😁 my family will have to work round me. 

If I had a broken leg it would be acceptable so this is much more serious. Especially now with corovirus around. 

I cannot go to hospital again its too much. 

The best to anyone with appointments today

hugs to all πŸ™πŸ½πŸŒ²πŸ™πŸ½πŸŒ²πŸ™πŸ½πŸŒ²πŸ™πŸ½πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›Ž

Highlighted

Thanks Aurore. You too.

I took some Gaviscon last night but obviously didn't wipe it off properly, so looked a right sight when I got up. All crusty around the mouth, just to add to my current state of complete yuckiness...

xx

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady

i would give gaviscon a try first before the pill. I am also hesitant to take more pills and Gaviscon seems to have done the trick. Hope it will do the same to you.

have a good day and take it easy.

aurore

Highlighted

Hi Hodo71 

So sorry to hear you've been in hospital too...it's horrible. How are you feeling physically now? It does make you very anxious about getting ill; I have been reluctant to get out other than in the week before the next treatment.

I had my first docetaxel on Monday and they decided to give me a slightly lower dose to try and avoid another admission. (I've had two stays, after the first and third FEC.) The oncologist reassured me it was still a full dose so that might be suggested as a way of helping?  

xx

Highlighted

Thanks MrsS1968

I will ask about omeprazole again; I mentioned it to the doctor I saw just before the last FEC but she said they didn't like to give it out as it's a one a day pill rather than as and when required, so suggested Gaviscon.

Hope the hand and nail creams have helped - fingers crossed. 

I'm achy this morning - those injections do seem to kick in (literally) the day after the first one - so taking it easy and sitting with my cat! 

xx

Highlighted

Hi Lady34,

Hope you are feeling better? I haven't been on here for a while myself, I've had 3 hospital admissions so far, one after each round of EC..Its so scary, I'm due to start docetaxal on Monday but I'm really anxious about it...I've literally taken to hibernating at home to try and avoid bugs 😷😬 

@Lady34 wrote:

Hello Ladies

long time I’ve been off here. First due to lowness and just managing my tiredness. On Wednesday got 39 temperature got to A and E admitted and still here!

just read your posts fear being the big one. Being here adds to all my fears. The only space they had was in the acute stroke unit yesterday I’ve been put in the oncology unit. 

Ive not eaten since I’ve been here just apples oranges but lost my appetite a week before. The nausea has wiped away my desire to eat. 

Ive got an infection given antibiotics and anticoagulant the arm I had chemo in in December has swollen up and veins are sore. Had a scan on it for blood clots luckily No Clots. They’re talking about a pic. 

The infection isn’t gone so they’re keeping me in. You cannot help thinking of the worst when dealing with these side effect then being dragged down further and stuffed full of more meds. 

My first chemo of T was due on Friday so put off for a bit. To be honest I can’t face more treatment at the moment. I’m half way through got 3xt to go then the op then still every 3 weeks anti body infusions. So still a way to go. 

Sending hugs to all πŸ’•πŸŒ²πŸ›ŽπŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady

Ask for an omeprazole prescription to help with the heartburn. They gave me one. The tips of my finger nails are starting to get flaky too. I smothered them in hand cream and nail cream before I went to sleep last night and they look better this morning.

I hope the filgrastim isn't too painful for you. They advised me to treat the aches like muscle pain- warm baths, hot water bottles. Paracetamol took the edge off but really important to make sure you dont have a temp before you take it.

Good luck x

Highlighted

Hi livers

Glad you've had a productive appointment. Sounds like some of the same information as I got but interesting about loose bowels/tummy pains. Nice!

I've not had constipation this time but have had heartburn on and off since yesterday. I took one of the anti-sickness pills earlier to see if it would settle but I bought some more Gaviscon and will take that before bed as that should help.

My fingernails are definitely breaking at the tops so not sure if the nail strengthener will help. I don't fancy the sound of the tingling feelings they warn you to report....

On the plus side the double steroid dose finished yesterday so I might sleep...on the negative side the filgrastim injections started today for seven days! 🀯

xx

Highlighted

Hi Frenchie77 

I totally agree - a bit of reassurance really doesn't take much, and with all this going on it can feel like you can't trust your instincts.

Take care

xx

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady, back from the oncologist!  Hope you’re having a good day.  

I asked about se’s and was told to expect a lot less nausea and constipation, but expect to have more aches and pains generally, gripey tummy (possible loose bowels), heartburn/reflux maybe worse and to call if I get persistent numbness/tingling in tips of fingers/toes.  Double steroid infusion will be given prior to Docetaxel, but all other meds/steroids remain the same.  My nails are bad already, peeling in layers and very dry cuticles and was advised this won’t improve (it may even get a bit worse) until all chemo is finished.

At least I know what to look forward to now πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Positive is less nausea and I’ll take that!

Lynne πŸ’ͺπŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi Frenchie,

Always trust your gut, you know your body better than anybody else!  My chemo unit told me to phone them direct no matter how trivial I think the issue is as they would rather dismiss it than miss it!

Lynne x

Highlighted

Thank you all! Yeah, I agree she was not the best, she could have just reassured me and that would have been fine. I think it will be ok as my own immune system should be almost back to normal by now. Just feels like with all this cancer stuff I can't trust my own judgement anymore.

Highlighted

Sorry I meant Frenchie! 

Highlighted

Hi Aurore, sorry to hear you’ve been made to feel this way.

Coincidentally, I asked at my last pre-bloods (was a dr taking the bloods for some reason) whether they’d go ahead if I had a cold. He said probably yes, but maybe not if it was a bad one with streaming nose feeling rough etc. 

So it’s hardly like your question is a silly one, if what he told me is correct and they would actually delay treatment in some circumstances because of risks to your health. 

You continue to do and ask what feels right for you - take care my love X 

Highlighted

Hi Aurore

We definitely have to keep an eye out. I initially contacted my chemo nurse who got the pharmacist to phone me to explain the mix up. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again to me or anyone else x

Highlighted

Thanks Shi!

I spoke to my GP who was more compassionate. He said keep an eye on temp and get back in touch if it goes up.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Franchise, you have done the right thing and you should still tell your unit again prior to having next chemo. If you have a name of the person you spoke to you should let your onc know you were made to feel like this when all you are trying to do is keep safe during chemo. So sorry you’ve appeared to have someone without a compassionate chip that’s answered your call. Please don’t let it upset you but do mention it before your next chemo, my unit drumed into me always ring about anything, they want to keep you safe. β€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Highlighted

Can I have some advice please ladies? I had EC 16 days ago and have made a good recovery (next one is planned for next Monday). I had 3 injections for the white blood cells last week. My son has been complaining of a sore throat (nothing too serious) but I've now developed a sore throat too. Again nothing too bad and no raised temperature but I'm still cautious. So I phoned the unit where I'm having treatment to ask if I needed to do anything (blood test, ABs or anything else) and the woman made me feel really stupid saying you don't need to panic, sounds like you've caught a cold, there are a lot of colds around at this time of year, bla bla, bla. She said if you're really worried call your GP which I think I will do for peace of mind, but am I overreacting? Being silly? I know it's not the most critical period as my own immune system should be on the up but I'm cross she has made me feel like a total hypercondriac (which I'm generally not!).

Highlighted

Hello MrsS 1968

oh that’s so weird and unsettling ... could you check with your breast care nurse. 
i am due to go on Paclitaxel too and chemo unit told me I will only have 6 rounds - which I know is not correct as I will have 12 (😱) So sometimes we need to be on top of it - they are very busy... 

have a good day all - last AC for me later on today 

aurore

Highlighted

Lady34 the regimes seem to vary ever so slightly. I am also feeling a little vulnerable as the pharmacist assumed I was going to docetaxel, not paclitaxel so dispensed steroids she shouldn't have and gave me the prescription for docetaxel, so I am unsure what I will be having and hope they prepare the correct chemotherapy drug for the 20th! Think I will have a word with the pharmacy manager when I go for bloods tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon x

Highlighted

Thanks Madcatlady- I think my sister caught up on about a year of TV/ movies!!! I really hope you don't suffer too much with the SEs xxx

Highlighted

Hi Lady34 

Glad to hear you're home - take care and try and relax.

Being in hospital is not easy and it's bound to make you feel vulnerable.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Mrs1968 thanks for asking I’ve been home 2 days just catching up on sleep dosing trying to eat and relax. 

Minds boggling reading your posts on round 4 some on injections some not? All on steroids?

not sure what I’ll be I’m on Taxotere. 

Already feeling nervous of next round but guess I’m feeling vulnerable after my hospital stint 

Hope weather easies up alongside all of your side effects. 

Hugs to all

πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½πŸ›ŽπŸŒ²πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½πŸ›Ž

Highlighted

Thanks livers, and good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on. My oncologist mentioned the obvious side effects but the nurse doing the infusion seemed to think it might not be too bad, so I am just waiting somewhere in the middle!

The steroids ended at lunchtime so I'm hoping the effects go soon. They seem pretty ubiquitous on chemo for most if not all of us, but they aren't great mentally even if they help physically.

xx

Highlighted

Hi MrsS1968

Thanks, and glad you're feeling more yourself again. It's something to look forward to during the cycle...

I bet it's been lovely seeing your sister, but it's always hard saying goodbye. Hopefully you've been able to spend some good times together in between the side effects biting.

I just hope the steroid effect doesn't hang about, especially if joint pain and bone pain both kick in, but at least I'll know what to expect for the next sessions. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

I got out briefly in the garden and tidied up a bit from the wind, filled bird feeders etc, but it was too cold to hang around. You did well to get out and I bet your dog loved it!

Take care too - not long until 20 Feb and the next stage.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady,

Glad to hear all went well.  I’m seeing my oncologist tomorrow so plan to ask her about se’s and double steroids!  Hope you have an easier week πŸ’ͺπŸ’•

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady

Glad to hear you are doing ok. We haven't had any snow down south but today is very windy again and very cold. Fingers crossed that you respond better to the docetaxel. I am feeling human again after my EC on the 30th. Next round I move onto paclitaxel weekly from the 20th and no filgrastim!!!

Glad to hear you have sorted out the timing of the steroids and are sleeping better- nasty little things that they are.

I took my dog out for a good long walk today which always makes me feel better, like I have actually achieved something. Sais goodbye to my lovely sister who has been over from Australia for a flying 11 day visit, so that is a bit sad. Just counting down the weeks so I can put this all behind me and move on.

Take care and keep up the good work xxx

Highlighted

Hey rizzer, livers and Adelemck

Greetings from the day after first docetaxel!

So sorry to hear about your fences coming down, Adelemck - just what you need to worry about at the moment, especially when you need to keep pets safe πŸ˜•

My friend who drove us yesterday was a star coming back in worsening snow; it took us all hy surprise as it started as we left the hospital. By the time we got back home I told her to drop us at the top of the road as it's not the widest street, is downhill, and there are parked cars down one side and a narrow pavement and stone walls on the other! Not the easiest to navigate in slippery, slushy snow..

Is anyone else affected by the wind and snow? We've just had flurries today and the wind is high again, but nothing has settled.

I slept better last night but made sure I took the second lot of steroids by 12.15pm yesterday and the same today. Thankfully that's them finished until next time. The filgrastim are for seven days again from tomorrow 😟

The nurse was quite vague about side effects and said I might find it better than FEC, but I'm reserving judgement at the moment! 

How is everyone doing? 

xx

Highlighted

@Madcatlady wrote:

Hey rizzer 

Not tired at all - I'm hoping that will change before the early hours. Otherwise I will be a bundle of laughs in the morning 😫

Light relief reading is going to be much more helpful. We ought to collate some tips.

I'll check in tomorrow when I'm back from the alternative universe of more steroids and the infusion...

Take care 

xx

Wishing you all the best for today Matcatlady - speak to you on the other side!

Lynne x

Highlighted

Sending everyone love and positive thoughts for the week ahead will be thinking of you all especially those on round 4 πŸ’ͺπŸ€žπŸ’ž ...I lost all the fences at the back of my house in yesterday's storms so trying to sort that out as I have a dog! Just what I need right now as on ssp! I love to read but on easy chick lit at the moment love Lesley Pearce but read all hers - have also enjoyed Audible it's a bit expensive but I find it very relaxing 😊 Adele x

Highlighted

Hey rizzer

Thanks: a bit wired still - wide awake till 4am then dozing on and mainly off until 8am with breaks at 6am and 7am. To add insult to injury, more steroids with breakfast!

Everything was churning around as it always does in the small hours. Getting up to a sunny and slightly less windy day today is helpful, as is the fact that the first docetaxel is this morning so not as long to wait 🀞

xx

Highlighted

Hi MrsS1968

Blame chemo brain - it's Villanelle, isn't it!

(I asked my daughter if she thought he was nice looking, and she said yes, in an 'old man kind of way'...I looked up the actor and he is 53, like me!!)

I haven't seen Line of Duty - another one people say is good to watch is Broadchurch. 

I was really hoping they'd say no more filgrastim injections, but maybe it won't be a week's worth.

I was still awake at 4am...went to the bathroom...dozed until 6am then awake again at 7am...and must have nodded again as the alarm was set for 8am and woke me up. Grrr!

I'm going to take the second lot of today's steroids to the hospital to take at 12noon as that might make a difference. (Yesterday it was 1pm, the latest the nurse had advised.)

Hopefully it will be better tonight 🀞

xx

Highlighted

And good luck today .... let us know how you're doing if you feel like it later X

Highlighted

How are you doing madcatlady? How was last night? 😬

Highlighted

I am SO relieved, also relieved that I won't need filgastrim injections with paclitaxel. Hope you managed some sleep 🀞

I loved both series of Killing Eve, I kind of get where you're coming from re her handler. Have you also watched all the Line of Duty series? They are fab x

Highlighted

Thanks MrsS1968. You must be mighty relieved!!

Thanks for the tip re. the Stranger. My daughter wants me to watch the second series of 'Killing Eve' on Netflix with her. Not sure it's the best choice at the moment, but I did have a bit (well, quite a bit!) of a crush on Villaneuve's handler (think that's how you spell it?). She's also watched 'Derry Girls' and loved it.

xx

Highlighted

Hey rizzer 

Not tired at all - I'm hoping that will change before the early hours. Otherwise I will be a bundle of laughs in the morning 😫

Light relief reading is going to be much more helpful. We ought to collate some tips.

I'll check in tomorrow when I'm back from the alternative universe of more steroids and the infusion...

Take care 

xx

Highlighted

Madcatlady I nearly had a hairy canary. The pharmacist gave me 16mg of steroids to take thinking I was going on to docetaxel next, not paclitaxel. Fortunately I questioned it and I don't have to take them pre paclitaxel πŸ˜…, not even going down the drug error route...

I am a great reader but when I'm really low hit Netflix big time. If you have it definitely watch The Stranger which is new. Be warned though, once you start it it's difficult to take a break, 8 episodes!!

Hope you manage to sleep.

Lady 34 hope you are feeling better.

Debelina totally rocking your wig. I find mine really hot! Any tips? 

Xxx