cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Thanks MrsS1968

Yes, I do hope I can avoid it again, but on past experience...!

I shall look forward to a week of more normal eating before the next round and it all begins again.

I asked the oncology nurse if I should eat something very cold during the infusion and she said no, that was just for the E part of FEC. But I'm wondering if it might help protect my mouth a bit next time.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Mad cat lady sending ❤️❤️Sorry you’ve been in casa nhs ☹️ Keep 💪💪💪 you are doing this 💪💪💪 and you know you can 💪💪💪 you are all 👭amazing and beautiful and you should tell yourself lots of time a day ❤️ Get your fluconzole in your goody bag next time so you can start them the minute you get thrush mouth it will give you bit of chance of knocking it out before it starts 💪 sending ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Madcatlady you must be so fed up!!! I hope things settle down for you. Just eat what you feel like at this stage xxx

Highlighted

Hey ladies

How is everyone? Just catching up on messages and can see lots of treatments last week. 

I was in hospital from Sunday to Thursday as I was neutropenic again. That was in spite of being halfway through the filgrastim injections. I'd got a really sore mouth and throat and suspected I'd got oral thrush, but my temperature was okay until Sunday.

IV antibiotics and anti-fungal tablets helped but my temperature kept spiking so they gave me another IV antibiotic as well as a one-off.

I struggled to eat anything solid until yesterday when it seemed to get less painful and congested, so treated myself to Maltesers and a chocolate cereal bar, which were grand!

I'm now sitting on the bed with my book and my lovely cat 🐱 

We can do this. I felt completely overwhelmed in the early hours of Monday morning, lying in hospital unable to even swallow water (and unable to talk clearly to explain to the nurse, because my tongue seemed like a huge thing and my throat felt like it was closing up) but today, seeing blossom and plants flowering in the garden, I feel much better.

Love to all.

xx

Highlighted

Hey ostrichkat!! So lovely to hear from you. What a happy coincidence to bump in to MrsS1968 in the ‘real world’...
Wishing you all good things and the very best for your next steps. Are you having radiotherapy? X 

Highlighted

Ostrichkat

I'm in on the 12th. 9.45am with consultant and treatment at 11am. Hopefully our paths will cross. Will that be your last one?! Happy dance....

Highlighted

@MrsS1968 wrote:

Hi ostrichkat 

It really was lovely to meet you too. Not sure you would have wanted to sit through my reaction to the steroids 🤪

I'm feeling much better this morning after a good night sleep and no nausea so far, thank you ostrichkat and Rizzer.

Good luck with the pineapple. I hope it helps Ostrichkat. Hopefully we will bump into each other again in 3 weeks when you are next in. I'm in weekly on Thursdays at 11am! X

Im next in on 12th March at 9 for treatment so might see you as im finishing!

Highlighted

Hi ostrichkat 

It really was lovely to meet you too. Not sure you would have wanted to sit through my reaction to the steroids 🤪

I'm feeling much better this morning after a good night sleep and no nausea so far, thank you ostrichkat and Rizzer.

Good luck with the pineapple. I hope it helps Ostrichkat. Hopefully we will bump into each other again in 3 weeks when you are next in. I'm in weekly on Thursdays at 11am! X

Highlighted

@MrsS1968 wrote:

Hi Rizzer

Just feeling absolutely exhausted now and a little nauseous. Please do take the pre steroids. I was reading that people can have a nasty reaction to paclitaxel and pre loading steroids helps prevent it. At the very least, please discuss it with your team.

I bumped into Ostrichkat at the  hospital! It's a small world. Hope it went well for you today.

Rizzer I hope you aren't suffering too much.

❤❤❤

It was good to meet you in person Mrs S, shame we were split up for the treatment!

i got through my ice lollies and sobfar my mouth seems better, last time i had a pretty instant reaction, def going to try frozen pineapple next time tho!

hope youre ok after your P and the nausea has settled x

Highlighted

Hi everyone, sorry iv been a bit quiet on here

i have finished my FEC had my second decetaxol yesterday, so only 1 more to go 👏👏👏

D hasnt really been my friend but found i had 2 weeks of feeling **bleep** and a week of feeling really well, whereas FEC i just felt tired and achy all the time so trying to work out which is worse!

altho i moved house this week so the good week was timed well 👍

Highlighted

Hey all, 

Still awake!

Had a crappy evening but slept for a bit so hope to feel a bit better in the morning. 
Good for you adelemck - it feels good to take a bit of control of the situation. 
Good luck tomorrow Lady34, keep us posted and hope you yummed down your curry! 
Thanks mrss1968, I hope you’ve managed to get some sleep and the nausea is not too overpowering. What’s the news from ostrichkat? Where has she got to cycle-wise with this chemo malarkey? Xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Mrss1968 that's great advice will give them a call Monday so I'm prepared! 

Highlighted

Hi Adelemck

Hopefully work will be ok. They should be. Macmillan has advice about work and cancer. Might be worth looking at.

I also struggled to sleep last night. Think I will take a sleeping tablet tonight. Hope you have a better night x

Highlighted

Hi all, 

Sorry so many of us are feeling low - I had a good chat about my worries with the registrar on Wednesday and that really helped ... Had first Docetaxel today all was fine but I'm very tired as didn't sleep last night ...steroids? Nerves? Not really sure! 

Also worried about work as I haven't told them I need extra time off for Radiotherapy but plucked up courage and asked them to call me next week!  

Stay strong ladies we are getting closer each day 💪😊

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer

Just feeling absolutely exhausted now and a little nauseous. Please do take the pre steroids. I was reading that people can have a nasty reaction to paclitaxel and pre loading steroids helps prevent it. At the very least, please discuss it with your team.

I bumped into Ostrichkat at the  hospital! It's a small world. Hope it went well for you today.

Rizzer I hope you aren't suffering too much.

❤❤❤

Highlighted

Hi all checking in after my first stage of T. From 10.30-4.30 had the antibodies put in via drip plus steroid tablets morning and lunchtime. 

It was fine. No negative reactions. Told to ring them if any appear. None so far. 

Go back in the morning for the actual T. 

Feeling tired but ok. At home now in bed watching flog it! Hubby got me an indian takeaway chicken and spinach a veg samosa and fresh cooked man bread 😉 my dinner sorted. 

Like you all im trying to suspend my emotions otherwise won’t be steady enough to go through this treatment but emotions get high or low it’s not my choice it’s my body coping with new drugs, blood pressure fluctuations, fears, trauma in various forms even consultations are scary. 

Battling fear on this journey is what I’m doing knowingly or unknowingly. 

Love and and hugs to all 💕🙏🏽🌲💕🙏🏽🌲🛎🛎🛎

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer, B4 et al,

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a low, my chemo nurse said it often happens after round 4 - you are not alone, stay strong 💪 💪

I’m home now after my 1st d’taxel and feeling ok......so far!  Don’t want to tempt fate by saying “it was a breeze” - may still be on a steroid high!

Lynne x

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Us oct17 lot got 😢at this point in the chemo, keep 👭💪👭as you are doing together ❤️ Do speak to your teams, the nurses on here and the someone like me option too if you want too ❤️ Keep focused the 🛎🛎🛎is in sight ❤️ We found having 😢all part of the journey and a release that we needed to have when it sneaks up on you and has you 😢 you are all doing great ❤️ Might not feel like you are but you are 😁❤️👍💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hey B4,

Thanks for your kind words.

Myheart goes out to you about your ‘meltdown’. Sometimes the biggest grief creeps up on us when we’re not expecting it. Sending you loads of love ❤️

Most of the time I’m brave-facing it, sometimes I genuinely feel ok and then seemingly out of nowhere (it’s hardly actually nowhere is it - given what we’re going through) it gets to you. 

Keep going ladies - lots of love and hugs 😘 

Highlighted

Loads of hugs and best wishes to you Livers.

B4

Highlighted

Stay strong as you are Mrs S,

We will get there in the end. My Chemo is tomorrow... and just since yesterday have started getting minimal numbness and tingling at my finger tips and planter aspect of the feet along with intense gastritis... I was actually very happy that Paclitaxel is treating me well... now I am getting slightly suspicious..

Take care.. sending u loads of hugs

B4

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer,

We all have come a long way nearly 3 months of chemo (in a week more)... just imagine where we would be after a 6-8 weeks... finishing our chemo's.

I had the same situation after being away from work for nearly 5 months, I went for my review appt to Hospital yesterday and met a colleague and had an emotional meltdown in front of him.... for no reasons... We are all in a hyper-emotional state where these things just happen at times. We all chemo sisters are on the same boat and going through what others might not understand. 

Im sure others will agree with me as well.

Best wishes

B4

Highlighted

With you MrsS... sending you a great big hug X

That reaction to the steroids must have been terrifying - flipping hell - and understandably then nervous about taking the paclitaxel itself. Glad to hear it’s now going fine. I’ve got everything crossed for you that you feel ok through the rest of it. It’s a total winner that you won’t need to take steroids afterwards. I’m doing paclitaxel too on the next cycle, but will get given steroids after apparently. Whether I take them tho’ is another matter! 

Sending lots of love to you all Xxx

Highlighted

Rizzer poor you. I have been in tears as well this morning as I had a bad reaction to the iv steroids which are supposed to prevent adverse reaction to the paclitaxel.very scary and then I was nervous about the paclitaxel, but it seems to be going in fine. No steroids to take post paclitaxel thankfully 😅

You aren't a failure.this is a really tough gig. I find it tough mentally knowing I am willingly poisoning myself. But this is what we have to do to give ourselves the best chance.

Don't beat yourself up. Big hugs ❤

Highlighted

Hey Livers, just got home. How’s the Dtaxol? 😬 🤞🤞🤞 How is the taxol going down generally? 

Have to say this infusion was a total b#tch. Cried at the end with the C bit of it. Felt overwhelmed. Worst so far. Felt like someone was injecting something into me that was turning my brain to jelly. The pain in my head and face was horrible. 

I hate the fact I also felt like a failure for having a few tears. I’d been laughing and joking up until then, but you know sometimes it just flipping gets to you doesn’t it. No shame in that. 

Glad to see the back of EC...

Am going to take no steroids at all at home this time. God knows what will happen! 

Loads of hugs and love to you all chemo sisters Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer,  my Neuts were too low yesterday so was sent home!  Back in today and am currently in the unit being infused - all good so far!!  Hope your final EC going ok xx

Highlighted

Good luck to you today too Rizzer- last EC 🎉😘

Highlighted

How are you doing Livers after your first round of Dtaxol? X

Highlighted

Wishing everyone all the best today with treatment. Fingers-crossed Adelemck, Lady 34 and MrsS that taxol is kinder to you. 

Wondering how you’re doing Debelina?x 

Hows things with you madcatlady?x Love to everyone else, whatever stage of treatment you’re at - May today be a good day Xxx

Highlighted

Aw Adelemck we’ll be on it together. Hope it’s less of a struggle for you with this stage. Feeling hopeful because every nhs staff I’ve asked about the difference in side effects they all say doxcetel is easier on side effects. 

In this to win so got to keep in mind in a few months this will be done. 

All the very best adelemck for us both tomorrow. 

Hugs to all 🙏🏽🌲😁🙏🏽🌲🛎

Highlighted

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing as well as poss ...like you lady34 I start Docetaxel tommorow I've struggled this last EC cycle as mg Crohn's disease has flared twice but been re assured by gastro and oncology teams and my blood tests good - I have loved all the holiday talk - can't wait to make plans! Scottish beaches and Porto on my wish list 😊 

Highlighted

Evening ladies

Im back on track! Saw consultant today start my docotaxel tomorrow morning get half then Friday morning the rest. Reason being if I have negative reactions to first bit they’ll give me meds to deal with it. This is the targeted chemo this Yew tree serum seeks out tumours and kills them. So bring it on😀

Im feeling more prepared to get it done. Went through the possible side effects with her going to get painkillers and use them as needed. As with FEC I may or may not get some side effects. 

Ps I’ve painted my finger and toe nails black. 

Good news my lumps almost disappeared and my new wigs easy to wear. 

Keep going everyone 🌲🌲🌲🛎🛎🛎 

will report in tomorrow 

love to all 💕🌲💕

Highlighted

Thanks MrsS 😘

Highlighted

Rizzer only one more EC. You can do this x

Highlighted

Good luck with the Dtaxol tomorrow 🤞 all goes well, Lynne X 

I’ve got 4 of each: 4 EC then 4 paclitaxel (every 2 weeks). xx

Highlighted

Good luck Rizzer with round 4 of EC - how many more do you have?

I’m also finished with EC - had my first Herceptin injection today and have my first of 3 rounds of Docetaxel tomorrow @ 11:00.

Lynne x

Highlighted

Rizzer Eek! No.4. How many more/ what is your regime?

Highlighted

Number 4.... Ah well, got to be done, eh?! 
Good luck on Thursday, will be thinking of you MrsS! Will be interested to hear how all the newbies with taxol are getting on, so I know what I’m in for! Good luck tomorrow debelina X

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer

Lovely to have a break, I'm sure.

I am done with EC (I had 3 lots), moving to weekly paclitaxel for 9-12 weeks.

Good luck for the last one- what number is it? x

Highlighted

Hi all, just got back from a windswept long weekend in Herefordshire. Saw some awful flooding. Heartbreaking to see. Poor people... 

Pre-bloods tomorrow then 4th round of EC on Thursday. Is everyone done with EC now except me?! 😬 

Love to you all Xxx

Highlighted

Livers - I found the SEs of Docetaxol an absolute nightmare 😞 The first round was the absoulte pits, second time marginally better but possibly because I knew what to expect. Round 3 next week - urrrgh.

Hopefully you will not have as bad a time as I. I am on the three drugs now, all via infusion rather than injection. Perhaps that makes a difference?

Highlighted

Debelina - hope you are keeping nice and warm. I imagine you snuggled under a duvet watching Netflix! I'm sure all will go smoothly. Be warned though - those damn side effects might not kick in until a few days later (that's what happened to me) so don't be lulled into a false sense of security (like I was).

Highlighted

Thanks B4. I also hated the EC. I had 3 every 3 weeks. Had a bit of heartburn with that so no doubt that will carry on. I start on Thursday and the plan is to have 9-12 depending how I tolerate it 🤞🤞🤞

Highlighted

Thanks Debelina, definitely counting the days...

Highlighted

Mrs1968...….Sardinia looks beautiful Smiley Happy 

I am sure you are all counting the days xxxx

Highlighted

@silvertongjust came across your suggestion.....its so cold in our chemo unit......I'm wondering if wearing three at the same time might be just a bit over the top...….but am seriously considering being Eoin's sleeping bag tomorrowSmiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL xxxx

Debelina - you know you can get a sleeping bag with arms and legs... so it could be possible 🙂 Not glam enough to be diva though.

https://odditymall.com/includes/content/upload/sleeping-bag-with-leg-pants-8210.jpg

Highlighted

Yes Mrs S,

Having it weekly, 6 gone and 6 more to go. Its like a breeze after the EC (which were awful). 

Im getting quite a bit of gastritis symptoms and reflux, using omeprazole daily along with gaviscon. There is no nausea, but some minimal issues with taste lately (recently)...

But apart from that Im OK.

Best wishes to you for the your paclitaxel... when do you start?

Best wishes

B4

Highlighted

Silvertong just came across this.....its so cold in our chemo unit......I'm wondering if wearing three at the same time might be just a bit over the top...…..Smiley LOL Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL  xxxx

Highlighted

Lynn I didn't word my message properly reading back.....I am having my first out of three Docetaxol on Wednesday......I think its the reaction there could be to the hercepton that I am most anxious about but I know if there is a reaction the nurses can see it happening immediately and the Dr can also treat it immediately which helps knowing...I am as high as a kite because they changed my Docetaxol from tomorrow to Wednesday but I had already taken the steroids today before the change of and so it wasn't necessary to have them today now....I have made an overnight bag in case something happens and they keep me overnight which the Dr has said she has never seem to date but my mind is planning for any eventually....that's how the steroids effect me when I am on them. I have to be at the Cancer Centre for 8am and will be finished by 5pm so I am downloading onto my nexflix in preparation for tomorrow.....it could actually end up a pretty relaxing day Man LOL  I will be thinking of you during your Herceptin which I hope goes smoothing for you tomorrow x

Highlighted

B4, what side effects have you had on paclitaxel? Are you having it weekly? X