355204posts
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Fantastic news @Madcatlady to be finished ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ›Ž๐Ÿ›Ž. I know it is strange times and it is hard to feel like celebrating, but youโ€™ve done it!  

Stay at safe and ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hey madcatlady! So pleased to hear from you and I tell you what, Iโ€™m celebrating ๐Ÿฅณ the end of your treatment for you albeit with a subdued form of online ๐Ÿ’ƒ  ๐Ÿ’ƒ  ๐Ÿ’ƒ 

YOU DID IT LADY!! Xxxx 

Sending you a massive hug and loads of love 

Highlighted

Madcatlady  you have reached a milestone with having your last treatment and that is a real positive, even though you don't feel as you were expecting to. 

Thanks all for suggestions for remedies for dry nose etc. Vaseline sounds a goos idea so I will give that a try.

I have had a sore throat and husky voice for last 4 days and a bit worried as on my low immune week. Annoying as it is a strain to talk to long on the phone and I like to call hubby several times during the day, because as you know, we are having to isolate seperately. Had  a telephone appointment with doc and she prescribed thrush treatment but there are no white patches, just redness so not convinced and might hold off the thrush treatment. Asked for back up antibiotic prescription to keep by just in case needed. I don't have a temperature but will be relieved when it starts to get better. 

Stay safe everyone. I really appreciate your support and suggestions. It is tough being separated from hubby but we are each facing our individual challenges and the most important thing is that we stay strong and continue to support each other. We can do this. 

Mc22 xxxx

Highlighted

Thanks Madcatlady

Had my treatment. Three more to go. You must be happy to be finished. I never felt so happy getting another one under my belt.

Such crazy times. I feel lucky that I was diagnosed in October and not now. Never thought that I would feel lucky about a diagnosis of cancer!

Take care x

Highlighted

Thanks to Caroline, the Ghost of Chemo Past, for the message from the Dec 2012 group!

After feeling a bit odd and wobbly this week, being reminded that life goes on is a boost.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Mc22

How are you and your hubby? As if this isn't hard enough...poor (both) of you. Staying safe is all we can do, but it must feel so hard.

It won't be for ever.

Sending lots of love.

xx

Highlighted

Hi livers

That's wonderful news about the radiotherapy. One week possible instead of three! 

Sometimes a little chink of light shines through ๐Ÿ˜Š

xx

Highlighted

Hi MrsS1968

How are you doing? Did you manage to have the treatment? I can imagine how afraid you must have been with a high temperature.

The aches and pains are a real low, aren't they? Even though you know they're coming, it's still grim.

Trying to stay separate at home must be really hard, but it's important you both keep safe.

Sending love for a good night.

xx

Highlighted

Hi rizzer

Thanks for asking. How are you doing? Sounds like you had the treatment if you were wide awake last night ๐Ÿคช How many more are there?

I had my sixth and last docetaxel on Monday and expected to feel relieved, tearful and euphoric, but it was very subdued given the current situation. For so long I'd imagined it and how I'd ring the bell for all it was worth, yet when it came to it, it felt wrong to celebrate.

The nurses said at the start they'd keep people a chair apart, but by the end of my session the bay was full. Maybe they were trying to keep only a few in use for hygiene, but it was bothering people that they were quite close. 

No-one was allowed in the waiting room or treatment bay, but I was glad to see a notice saying patients could be accompanied for their first session. I cannot think how distressing it would be to have to do the first round on one's own and under these circumstances.

I came home (after chips in the car before the chippy closed!) and there was a letter saying to isolate for 12 weeks. After having to isolate since early December for the purposes of chemo, it did feel ironic. 

The advice I've been given on that score is a bit vague as although I was an 'active chemo patient' when the list of vulnerable people was drawn up, I won't presumably be as vulnerable as those just starting out. 

So all week I've felt really odd about everything; incredibly relieved, but fearful of the next step (follow up appointment with the oncologist in twelve weeks, but no radiotherapy is needed, and as I'm TN, no hormone therapy either).

I suppose it's a kind of limbo, and it's not helped by the holiday feeling going on around, with the good weather and the papers full of bbq pictures! Does anyone else feel the same? I know people will struggle with keeping inside, but it's not a Bank Holiday!

Tonight I've got the filgrastim aches and pains, a sore, dry mouth and a sore vein โ˜น Not to mention three interestingly purple-black toenails...but I've sat in the garden with my cat, finished my book, watched one of my favourite films, and whilst I can taste nothing, I do have the memory of Monday's chips to sustain me!!

Hope you sleep better tonight.

xx

Highlighted

Mc22

I had dry nose and am getting lots of scanning and nosebleeds. My oncologist prescribed Bactroban which has really helped.

I have daily texts and have had a letter. They said to contact GP surgery if you haven't heard anything by Sunday x

Highlighted

Mc22 stick nose over hot drink let steam go in then put Vaseline. Iโ€™ve had this se too and the weird nails brittle and toe nails grown really fast. All bald head now got furry growth. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not sure if this is a good sign or what. My chemos due on 7th April havenโ€™t heard a thing feel scared to have to go to hospital also scared if itโ€™s cancelled or delayed ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Highlighted

Hi all.  Hope you are all coping under the circumstances....

Hi all.  Hope you are all coping under the circumstances. I had 3 hospital appts in the space of 5 days and was freaking out because of CV.  The first was radiotherapy consult and I phoned to ask if this could be done as phone or video.  They got back to me to say they were happy to put that appointment back as I have time (last chemo due Monday).  Had confirmation today that chemo going ahead and will be attending for bloods tomorrow.  Iโ€™ve got a bag with antiseptic wipes, cotton gloves and a mask.  Iโ€™m so worried about infection.  Also has anyone had their letter from NHS about 12 week isolation? canโ€™t believe they donโ€™t have my mobile number and Iโ€™ve heard nothing.  I also have to NHS app - youโ€™d think they could put it on there. 

Highlighted

Hi @Mc22 - Vaseline has definitely helped my nose!  Itโ€™s been very dry and โ€œscabbyโ€ inside, bleeding every time I blow it.  Iโ€™ve also had a bit of a sore throat as I am having to breathe through my mouth most of the time.  Iโ€™ve been applying Vaseline after each time I blow and itโ€™s certainly helped.

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hi all.  Hope you are all coping under the circumstances. I had 3 hospital appts in the space of 5 days and was freaking out because of CV.  The first was radiotherapy consult and I phoned to ask if this could be done as phone or video.  They got back to me to say they were happy to put that appointment back as I have time (last chemo due Monday).  Had confirmation today that chemo going ahead and will be attending for bloods tomorrow.  Iโ€™ve got a bag with antiseptic wipes, cotton gloves and a mask.  Iโ€™m so worried about infection.  Also has anyone had their letter from NHS about 12 week isolation? canโ€™t believe they donโ€™t have my mobile number and Iโ€™ve heard nothing.  I also have to NHS app - youโ€™d think they could put it on there. 

Highlighted

I  too  am not sleepinwell Lady34. Thank you for your concern.

Quick question: does anyone have a remedy for dry nostril side effect? Would vaseline help? New to some of these SEs. Also soreness round my nails which I have never had before.

Mc22

Highlighted

Hello - I'm what you might describe as the Ghost of Chemo Past, as i was part of the December 2012 chemo thread - we called ourselves the Christmas Crackers. It helped so much at the time to have this group of people there who were going through the same thing, and to whom you could talk honestly.

I'm fine now - touch wood - and it all seems a long time ago, but as the Coronavirus epidemic has been

escalating, I keep thinking that although it was hard enough to do chemo back then, how much harder it must be for those having chemo now with the general chaos and the added danger of the Coronavirus.

I just wanted to say you are all in my thoughts, and to send you the very best wishes for getting through your chemo safely, and with your sanity intact!

Caroline

Highlighted

Afternoon all

mc22 sorry you and your husband are in this situation but as you quite rightly say thereโ€™s no option this applies to everything we are now having to juggle. 

If you all remember we were diagnosed in October or November and started what is a journey with possible life threatening outcomes. 

Yes we did this bravely cowardly or frozen we did it! Now us coming to terms with our own mortality has expanded into the entire world threatened with ......death

we have no option but to keep on with our individual journeys.  

The suns shining. The nhs are the most important people in society. Iโ€™m safe in my house living in unprecedented times. 

No wonder Iโ€™ve woken up several times in the night to check the news! Canโ€™t switch my mind off for long. 

Sending huge hugs to all 

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒฒ

Highlighted

hi rizzer.

Poor you, wide awake in the middle of the night ๐Ÿ˜ฌ. 3 more for me. Ironically I have never been so happy to receive the poison.

B4

I have no words for the stupidity and selfishness of people. It really is criminal to tell lies like that to get what they want. It makes my blood boil.

Did anyone clap the NHS last night? It was so emotional. Our GP friends from across the road and their sons stood at the end of our path (about 6m away!) and joined us and our street clapping and rooting. It was quite emotional. I feel so grateful to have our wonderful NHS more than ever.

Take care, ladies  and have a good day x

Highlighted

Dear Mc22

Im sorry that you are going through a very tough period, completely unimaginable. These are testing times, but believe me (you also know) itโ€™s for your benefit, not going to be long and already 3 days are passed. 
please look after yourself. My best wishes and prayers are with you. Keep talking to us in the group.

๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

B4

Highlighted

Mrs S,

I guess you are doing well, with regards to social distancing, so long as there is 2 m distance between people at home if the same area cannot be avoided. Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m doing as my hubby works in GP land.
The worse he has come across is, a few people who on tel triage donโ€™t disclose about respiratory symptoms (??), itโ€™s only when they come for face to face consultation that these symptoms become evident ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I wish there was more education and reassurance to prevent such behaviour.

Best wishes to all. Hope you are all coming to an end... 2 more for me. 
loads of love

B4

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

Wishing I wasnโ€™t wide awake..... ๐Ÿ’ค 

Take care Mc22 - Iโ€™m so sorry you and your husband are in this situation. Your nerves must be shredded. You can do this though โค๏ธ
Iโ€™m wondering how youโ€™re doing madcatlady?

Not heard from you in a couple of days, hope youโ€™re ok? Xxx

Highlighted

Yes, I know you are right Mrss1968. It's tough but don't think we have any option. I appreciate your comments so thanks.

Xxx

Highlighted

It's not really possible unless he stays in one room and uses a separate bathroom. Our big area of cross usage is the kitchen, but he makes sure he is rigorously washing hands when he comes in and does it regularly. Doing our best but not completely isolated. You are both high risk. I would follow the advice you have been given. I know it's tough but safer for you both xxx

Highlighted

Mrs 1968 - interested to know your husband is a doctor but you are managing to self isolate from each other in the house.

As you know my husband is just out of hospital and the doctors said he can't come home for 14 days with me being on chemo so he is staying at a remote holiday type cottage. The docs said he couldn't even stay with my daughter because he is now also high risk and she has young children. I am desperate to get him home because he is now frail himself. It is heartbreaking to not be there with him when he has just come out of hospital. I should be looking after him. This is all so unnatural. My daughter is nearby and talks to him through the glass of the patio door a couple of times a day  but I don't like him being by himself all night. He has a clot on the lung and is taking medication to disperse  it.

I was thinking whether it would be too risky to bring him home if he stays in one room. Do you think it is doable, based on your experience?

Mc22 xxx

Highlighted

Rizzer I reckon we will all be on 5 instead of 15.

Back from paclitaxel. Three more to go ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Stay safe and sane ladies. Mc22 hope your husband makes a good recovery x

Highlighted

Thanks Mc22. I go lots of bone and joint pain with the injections.

This is more muscle and joint pain with the taxol. Slightly different for me between the two x

Highlighted

Hi all,
Home now after paclitaxel. Had a tele-consult with oncologist. Livers, looks like my radiotherapy will also only be 5 sessions too. He said each one was a higher dose but that shouldnโ€™t affect us in terms of side effects. He explained about the clinical trials (the results of which were due to be announced and I guess peer reviewed at some conference which now clearly isnโ€™t happening) showing that there was no substantive difference between risk of recurrence on 5 days or 15. 
Im so glad about that especially with CV. 
How are you doing MrsS? 
Love to you and your husband mc22 and you Aurore โค๏ธ This is so tough Xxx

Highlighted

Aurore,

I completely understand your fear and anxiety. If they have recommended you should continue with treatment for peace of mind ask what special measures are being taken to protect you when you go for chemo, bloods etc. You might feel better once you know how it will all work. 

I am TP and having adjuvant back up treatment but I have decided not to have the last two. I think they may have suggested that anyway.

Hubby and I are now having to self isolate separately as when he was dischaged from hospital they said he could not come home as I am on chemo. At the 11th hour a friend of my daughter offered her holiday cottage in my daughter's village. People are so kind. In 14 days he can come home and we can continue self isolating together . The good news was that he tested negative for the CV but they worry in case he may have picked up something in hospital.

Take care.

Mc22 xxx

Highlighted

Hi @Mc22, I am being treated at the Bracknell cancer centre under the Reading Trust.  I must admit I didnโ€™t ask the oncologist if the dose was stronger, but will ask at my planning apt on 3/4.

Hello all

I do not write here very often but check in every day on how everyone is doing. Like everyone else it is very scary time. 
i am in London and currently neonadjuvant for triple negative. I am due paclitaxel/carbo 5 tomorrow (planned for 12). Had a call from oncologist who recommends for treatment to continue as she feels having the surgery now would not give me the best chance long term. She said that they will continue to deliver treatment (but I am sure they cannot guarantee this). But continuing treatment has also its own risk. It was hard to hear how cancer patients have been classified in categories to decide who will receive treatment. 
i know we are all being faced with difficult decisions who are being made for us.

What have you been advised so far? 
MC22 - I hope your husband is feeling better. 
i am sending love and strength to you all

aurore

ps: getting ready to go to unit for my bloods and pretty petrified 

Highlighted

Thanks Rizzer

Part of me was worried it might have been CV, especially as my husband is a doctor. We are socially distancing in the house, separate bedrooms etc, but unless I lock myself in one room it's impossible to not cross paths, touch the same things etc. I also need to look after him ie cook meals etc. He has been brilliant, cooking meals when I'm knackered. He puts his clothes in the washing machine so I don't handle them. We are doing everything we can ๐Ÿคž

I am more tired/ fatigued as this goes on.  I get the odd sharp pain but don't think it's nerve related. I have some tingling in my fingertips but no loss of sensation or function. My oncologist said peripheral neuropathy happens exponentially, so just keeping an eye on it.

Driving myself to and from chemo to avoid getting in the car with someone else. Will just have to wait for piriton to wear off. Fortunately it's only a 10 minute drive.

Good luck today. Will be thinking of you x

Highlighted

Hey Fiona,

That raised temp must have been so worrying for all sorts of reasons. Iโ€™m so sorry.  Glad itโ€™s back down. You still ok to go ahead today? Were you worried it might be CV? 

My aches arenโ€™t good, but I wouldnโ€™t say theyโ€™ve got progressively worse. Iโ€™m definitely very very tired now thoโ€™. Had to sleep in the afternoon yesterday, which hasnโ€™t been something Iโ€™ve been doing. How about you love? 

That worsening may be something to do with the fact youโ€™ve had the weekly doses starting to build up?

My oncologist suggested reducing my dose after the electric shock type nerve pain I had, but I said I really didnโ€™t want to. He said it could get worse and may leave permanent damage, but right now Iโ€™m just grateful for all they can get in me before they have to stop...

Thinking of you and sending lots of love Xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Mc22. I go lots of bone and joint pain with the injections.

This is more muscle and joint pain with the taxol. Slightly different for me between the two x

Highlighted

Mrs 1968 - so pleased you are feeling better in time for your chemo. Fingers crossed. I think my aches were worse this time but then it was a change of medicine to T. Never know whether it is the injections or the chemo that causes it.

Lynn I am interested in this change to one week of radiotherapy instead of three. So does that mean they would they would  give  highr doses? Are you being treated at a London hospital?

Mc22x

Highlighted

Hi Rizzer

Yes I am. Had a temp of 37.6 yesterday and felt really rough. Was panicking in case I ended up in A & E on antibiotics and missed chemo tomorrow, but temp is down today and I felt a lot better. Thank goodness.

My aches were worse this week. Have you found they have got progressively worse? X

Highlighted

You in tomorrow for chemo Mrs S? I am. Anyone else? 4 hours zzzzz . Take care all Xx

Highlighted

Thatโ€™s brilliant news Lynne. Really pleased for you Xx

Highlighted

Excellent! 1 week is hardly anything, 

Highlighted

So pleased for you Lynne. Hope I only have to have one week of radiotherapy instead of three. I bet you can't wait to get the Picc line out! 

Mc22

Highlighted

That's fantastic news Lynne! Xxx

Highlighted

Just had my tel appointment with my oncologist who has confirmed my last chemo will go ahead next week as planned, bloods allowing, and the chemo nurse will remove my PICC line after the infusion.

She also confirmed radiology will go ahead but possibly only 1 week instead of 3.  This is not due to Covid-19, but is the result of a 2 year study which has shown that 1 week is as effective as 3 and was due to be introduced later this year.  The timing may be brought forward in light of Covid-19 to decrease the no of visits required to hospital.  I have my planning apt and CAT scan on 3/4 and it will be confirmed at this visit.

Feeling good today ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’•

Lynne x

Highlighted

Morning all, 

Mc22 you asked about what happens when your PICC is removed. Mine went last week.  It was really quick and easy. The chemo nurse did it and i didn't need to make any separate appointment. It took about 5 minutes. She took off the dressing, and split the orange valve thing which kept the line in place. This split it into two pieces, so it was easier to remove the little metal hooks. This bit stung a little but not more than an injection. She then asked me to relax and stretch my arm out a little. The more you relax the easier the next bit is. She basically just pulled it out. It didn't hurt at all, despite her pulling quite hard. Job done. She put a dressing on and within a couple of days it was fine to remove the dressing. After 4 days i had a proper bath ๐Ÿ™‚

Horrible mouth feel - ice cream is the best thing. Definitely. Also an After 8 after every meal helps with horrible taste. 

I have also decided to limit how much i read about whats happening, the more i read the more anxious i get. So best to step away and do something else such as call a friend, sit in the garden, write something, make a cup of tea in your favourite mug.  

I'm guessing everyone has had the texts from the NHS? I got one saying i couldn't leave the house for 12 weeks, but i could open a window! I have another health condition which puts me at risk,  so i'm trying to work out if its the cancer or the Addisons disease or both which has resulted in the text. 

I as stressing about supplies and feeling out of control, so i snuck off to Tesco at 6.30am. I was really careful and now have a full fridge and even some gluten-free madeleines! Its amazing what a difference it made. I was starting to go insane having not left the house since chemo last week. 

I hope everyone has a reasonable day, and can focus on something positive for a little while x

Highlighted

Livers, fingers crossed mine won't last that long. Horrible sensation.

Does anyone else ever feel their body has forgotten how to sleep? It is 2 am and I am awake yet again.  This is despite taking a mild sleeping pill last night which I was only suposed to use on the odd occasion. It seems to send me off initially but only for about 4 hours. Really don't want to keep taking them in case I become addicted but desperately need sleep. On the night's over the last week that I haven't taken one I have just been awake all night. So many horrible things happening in our world that I am sure that must be the reason. The last time I slept properly must be at least a week ago. 

To think that before chemo I never took any medication apart from the occasional paracetamol. Chemo has such a lot to answer for.

Mc22

Highlighted

Hi @Mc22, my mouth issues lasted for about 5 days (loss of taste buds about 10 days). I go to my local chemo centre each Monday where they run a PICC line clinic and they clean my line.  The nurse there told me the chemo nurse should remove my line after my last infusion next week, if not, she will do it the following Monday.

Lynne x

Highlighted

Lady34, how long does the sore/weird mouth feeling usually last? Hope it is not long.

Has anyone got a picc line? If so where are you going to have the dressing changed each week? And what happens when you have it taken out?

Mc22

Highlighted

Lady34, so we are both suffering then. Hope it doesn't last long. 

No, hubby has no history of clots. But he has asthma. I am fine for shopping as my daughters did a shop but now there is only me to cook for it is hard to motivate myself. The local grocers are now delivering to vulnerable customers and today they dropped off a 4 pinter of milk. No minimum order or anything.

I had to laugh because they are called 'Troops' and when I texted my daughter to say Troops were bringing me some milk my daughter initially had visions of a big army tank coming up the road with a 4 pinter!

Silvertong I don't have ice lollies but I do have ice cream! Will try.

Mc22

Highlighted

I'm afraid I never really had a solution for sore mouth. Ice lollies might help though?

Highlighted

Any suggestions for sore mouth remedies gratefully accepted. The weird sensation of thickness inside my mouth is as horrible as the soreness.  I have tried corsodol and salt water so far.

Mc22

Highlighted

Mc22 Iโ€™ve had this on last and got it now. Upper pallet thick gums too feels like inner mouth has doubled in size and wonโ€™t tolerate anything much. 

Hopefully the clot was found in time to treat it easy. Omg did hubby have history of clots. 

Keeping everything crossed he returns home treated. 

Have you got anyone to get you shopping bring you food etc. Thereโ€™s a .gov site to register as we are vulnerable new service to bring us food and shopping 

https://coronavirus-vulnerable-people.service.gov.uk/nhs-letter

Im panicky too didnโ€™t sleep last night to wound up. Today got nhs call cancelled my scan next Monday so guess chemo on 7th will be delayed. 

Looking into any benefits I can get. Watching cookery utube videos to stay sane and keep me cooking. 

Sending love to all 

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’•

Highlighted

Debolina-I hope you get some reassurance about your treatment soon. This uncertainty about everything is just so horrible.

Quick question: my mouth is sore and I have this weird sensation of thickness in my mouth. Hard to decribe. Has anyone else had this? Just came on today. Day 6. Panicking a bit about side effects I haven't had before. On edge generally, I think as I am sure we all are.

Hubby still in hospital and waiting for results of all tests. He has a clot on the lung which they are treating. So I am now in solitary isolation.

Mc22 xxx