332999posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

119 REPLIES 119

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Yeah I had the surgery first as they thought it was just DCIS and only did lymph node biopsy as a precaution then the results came back and everyone was a bit surprised!

they are recommending radiotherapy after altho I’m not really on board with that!

then have to have more surgery as they didn’t get a big enough margin and my surgeon wants to remove all the lymph nodes ,

think I prefer that to the radiotherapy but going to get the chemo done and see where I’m at!

glad you found the cap do able as well feel a bit more reassured now! 

Just wondering tho, how’s your appetite? Everyone told me to eat when hungry as I’ll struggle ... literally hungry all the time !!! Going to finish chemo obese if I’m not careful 😂

Hi ostrich-kat

nice to hear from u

youre a bit further along than me.. chemo first for me to hopefully shrink my big (4cm) idc and lymph node then surgery to follow, then radiotherapy.  Mines grade 2, stage 2.. her2 neg, receptive to oestrogen. 

my nurse also had to check the cold cap as I found it so tolerable (used head band too) .. we must just be hardcore!! 💪🏼

feel ok at the mo, so taking this as a good sign.. I too really don’t want to lose my hair either, but we’ll just have to see what happens eh?? 
xx

Hi carolyn

sounds like we’re on a similar journey!

im 39 have idc and dcis, 1 ln involved grade 3 triple neg.

iv had surgery and started fec-t 6 rounds every 3 weeks on 27th Nov - this thread seemed more relevant so going with it!

i tried cold cap, despite everyone telling me it’s the worst thing and don’t bother! I didn’t find it too bad, was advised by a local charity to wear a headband on my forehead and ears and this really seemed to help. Infact iv been worried it wasn’t on properly as I found it so manageable!

hopefully it will work as despite lots of people telling me that the hair loss is they least of my worries’ it actually is my biggest!

I seem to be ok so far, tired and nausea after my first round for a couple of days then felt good so prob did way too much the next 4 days and crashed day 7! Lol

my biggest side effect is a really sore nose and headaches.

anyway sorry for hijacking your post!

i hope your first season went well, let me know how you get on x x

Thank you Carolyn!

It's just a bit of a sick to the system seeing those specks, up to now I've been hoping the blood markers were simply an abnormality - but, as you say the hope is the chemo already planned may well get rid anyways, hence no MRI until next summer.

I had a single mastectomy and auxiliary node clearance back in October, so for me this is the second part of treatment, have a seroma still 😔 which is annoying, but told them no more draining as it just keeps coming back, so simply waiting for it to reabsorb naturally - the op itself wasn't a problem for those with them in their future, I had a cute anaesthetist which helped too!!! 😁

Right... Operation find brekkie is now on!!! 😁 Xx

Hey fluffball

firstly.. so sorry to hear your lasted news, but its so important to stay positive!!

as u said, it’s 2 tiny specks on lung. And the chemo drugs can do wonders these days and will no doubt blast them into oblivion with the rest of the nasty cells. 
Is chemo your 1st treatment too? Before any surgery?

Honestly my lovely, cancer really isn’t the death sentence it once was.. there’s so much they can do nowadays.. and finding new techniques and drugs every day. 
positivity (I know it’s hard sometimes) is really important. Studies have shown this. 
You’re right, us 70s born babies are bloody fabulous and tough cookies!! 
let’s all keep in touch, share stories, tips and emotions and I’m 100% positive we’ll all come out the other side and my god, we’ll be stronger for it! 
lots of love xxxx

Good morning ladies... 

I think I've caught up, lovely wig back there Dj43, very natural, Carolyn great to hear you've bounced back really quickly, gives us hope!

I went to get my portacath fitted on Thursday, to get the news that the scan picked up definitive evidence of metastasis on the lung 😔 - whilst my diagnosis had been that they were sure it had metastasized, they hadn't found any evidence only clues in blood markers, so it never felt real. Now, 2 tiny specks I was shown on an ultrasound scan have completely floored me. 

Whislt being shown, I was simply saying "OK, we knew something was around, yeah, that's tiny, what now?"  calm, collected, outwardly dealing with it. I chatted whilst having my port put in, it was a brand new machine so the doctor was using it for the first time, so what should have been 45-60  minute procedure turned into a 110 minute procedure, plus the added information being put into my file and I was in there for over 2 hours, then 40 minutes for a quick x-ray (which had to be taken twice because doughnut here didn't think to take her bra off!!) and home with my son and niece who had accompanied me 

I got home before I fell apart, my hice and son didn't know what I'd been told so I kinda freaked them out!

Anway... Fast forward lots of discussion on the phone, a funeral I attended yesterday where I was doing a reading through tears and emotion, made so such worse by my own news and fears, and my team have decided that for now, we are going ahead with plans as they are, an extra scan or so with a full MRI at the end of the active treatment already planned before anything else is discussed. 

I've spent last night chatting with my son, niece and husband, trying to come to terms with the confirmation of what up to now has felt ghost like and unreal and now putting on some of those big girl panties, a pair of docs and a headband and facing the world with rather new eyes.

Brekkie and the pictures this morning to see Jumanji and laugh, say goodbye to niece and son tomorrow and start the chemo Monday wih hubby by my side.

For those who've joined since I last posted, apologies for the rambling rant/howl and hello 👋, for those who've started treatment since I last posted - yay, already a step closer to the end! Let's keep those stories of how little this icky treatment has hit us too and have a great December 2019 group!!! Oh... And I was born 1972, so by the looks of things I got into this world a little earlier than many here, but oh my, aren't we 70's babies just awesome!! 😁 

Lady34, glad it went well and you were good to eat, that's a good idea for the slow cooker might do the same!

Carolyn99 that's good you u/sound was encouraging news, hopefully that chemo will blast the one lymph node involved. Xx

Lady34

so glad to hear that. I took 2 paracetamol 30 mins before, and think it def helped. 
has my marker put in today and ultrasound confirmed cancer only in breast and the 1 lymph node nearest the breast, so good news.  I’ve felt great today.. no problems whatsoever. 
let’s hope this chemo does it’s job and blasts those nasties! 🤞🤞xx

Take all your anti sickness meds as advised and keeeeeppp drinking!

Hi ladies

thanks Carolyn99 yes feels good it’s one done. It was fine just 4 hours. Cold cap has some discomfort but worth it advised for next time to take the 2 paracetamol 20 mins before arriving so it will kick in good time. 

Put a stew into the slow cooker last night so had a nourishing bowl soon as I got home. Going to try to sleep or at least cat nap now. 

Praying my meds travel straight to the tumor and kick ass! 

Doing well so far ladies. All the best xxx

I hope it's been ok, Lady34....

As Carolyn99 says, one down. xx

Good luck lady 34.. u will smash it! 1 down soon! Xx

Many thanks Dj43. Awake most of the night. Taking sandwiches in case needed. Will check in with you all after. 

Xxx

Good luck for today lady34,

Hope you get through it no problem and with little in the way if SE's.xxx

Well the wig looks really natural DJ43. I am impressed.

Mcxxx

Awwww, it’s nice that there’s a few of us around the same age on here. 
I Definately feel like this whole thing is happening to someone else.. even after my first chemo!! Strange eh??

Hopefully, when all done this will feel like a distant dream and we can get on with our lives! 

my surgery is to follow chemo, so I too feel like I have a long road still ahead of me, but I’m staying positive and we really are in the best possible hands! 
we’ll get through this ladies, and we’ll be stronger at the end of it! Positive Mental Attitude!! 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼Xxx

Ngh1974 

Sounds like they're hitting you hard, but glad you're recovering from surgery. 

I'm a 1975 baby! But right at the end so not 44 til end of the month, so I'm hanging onto that 43 ?.

Mc22 I think the wig is synthetic as the hairdresser said it can't be styled with tongs or heat appliances but I think it looks quite natural so if the cold cap doesn't work I won't be devastated to have to wear this when I'm out and about. Xx

Ngh1974 

Sounds like they're hitting you hard, but glad you're recovering from surgery. 

I'm a 1975 baby! But right at the end so not 44 til end of the month, so I'm hanging onto that 43 😊.

Mc22 I think the wig is synthetic as the hairdresser said it can't be styled with tongs or heat appliances but I think it looks quite natural so if the cold cap doesn't work I won't be devastated to have to wear this when I'm out and about. Xx

That’s great to hear carolyn99. I’m definitely going to go in with a positive attitude so hope that will help too!

I am a ‘74 baby. I’m only just still in the ‘Young’ bracket for cancer.

Does anyone else feel like it’s a total out of body experience? I still don’t quite believe it’s happening to me....

ngh1974

hi

i has my first chemo on tues afternoon, few days of nausea but I felt as right as rain today, so don’t worry.

i had the cold cap on the whole time, and found it more uncomfortable than painful.. first 20 mins is the worst.. then it just goes numb.. it’s doable! And worth trying( if we do lose our hair, we’ve tried all we can to keep it)

are u a 1974 baby? I’m 1975. 
Xx

Thought I'd say hi.  Feeling I need a bit of solidarity. 

Had my op on the 11th Nov (double mastectomy and lymph dissection) and I'm tender but up and about and even went back to work yesterday. 

I've got a long road ahead and seems I'm going to be given a truck load of chemo - 24 weeks worth.  Initially every 3 weeks then weekly for 12 weeks.... I was pretty disappointed but it is what it is. I'm going to do all I can to try to keep healthy and as active as possible. 

You're all asking similar questions to the ones I have floating around my head so it's really helpful and reassuring. Port insertion on the 16th and chemo starts on the 17th Dec.  I'm going to attempt the cold cap so would be interested to hear your experiences. 

Good luck everyone!  I look forward to going on this unenviable journey with you..... x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Took the senokot not the senior 🙄sorry text gremlins 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi chaffinch ❤️ Dec thread our Oct17 gang still talk daily and laugh daily 👭👭and 👭👭 our Jencat and buddyfan are on the threads too. Great wig 👍 they are so amazing now, no one can tell 👍 take it one treatment at a time, keep focused and laugh through this together, and you will laugh, the steroids will get you bouncing off the walls be ready for 2 am chats with each other on here and partners telling you to put your phone down as you chat away to each other all the time ❤️❤️ But who else can you share botty trouble stories with but your chemo gang who will understand when the steroid block you up, get senokot and movicol and anosol. I had chemo on a Thursday and took the senior for a few days from the sundays during fec. On t it was the other way 🌪🌪🌪botty 😳 carbs had to be upped 😳 but remember we are all individual and it can be different for each of you ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Start chemo in the morning all I can do is eat kettle crisps. 2 big bags so far 😀🤣😀

Your wig looks fabulous, really natural. Is is synthetic or real hair?

Mc22

Fantastic Dj43 looks totally natural 

xxx

Dj43.. looks fab xx

Looks great, DJ43 Smiley Happy

I haven't had it cut to shape yet but this is the one I got today. We get a wig voucher up here and a list of hairdressers that participate. This should've bee £320!! It's really great though, I can pull the fringe back and you'd never know, the hairline is invisible. So at least if the cold cap doesn't work. I have a wig ready. It's lighter than my own hair, I'm strawberry blonde kinda colour, pale ginger so they didn't have one my colour, this looks like I've had my hair highlighted.x

IMG_20191205_151641.jpg

Just popping in to say hello. Made me quite emotional reading your thread. Shi & I & our October 17 chemo group were a couple of months in at this stage 2 years ago. Hang in there ladies it’s doable but take time out and take care of yourselves. Ignore as much as you can the demands of everyday life and do only as much as you feel you can. It helped me to try and keep up a normalish routine but everyone is different just do what feels right. After I came out the other side of each cycle which was usually after about 5-6 days I would take myself outside for a short walk each day which helped no end with my mental and physical well being. Even in the days after chemo I’d make sure I walked around the house a bit each hour or so, seemed to stop me feeling too sorry for myself. You really appreciate the simple things like a bath and getting dressed and when you actually fancy food and enjoy it. Take your anti sickness meds regularly fir longer than you think you need them if they don’t work ask for stronger ones don’t suffer in silence. I found a few almonds helped when I was feeling hollow and nauseous I felt like I had morning sickness 🙄. Take Manuka honey at least 10+ to support your immune system it worked for me after borderline low white cells after first cycle never had the problem again. Use the support here. We have made true life long friendship that totally get each other. Cone here anytime for support such a great resource for advice and laughter. We laughed way more than any of us thought possible at first. Wishing you all well 😘

Blimey must be good quality. I’ve no experience of wigs never felt fake hair so had no comparisons. Haven’t tried mine on yet. Hoping I won’t need em. 

Xx

Lady34

i got mind from a special wig place near where I live. It’s nice, long and dark like my own.. it cost me £230.. not cheap! Xx

What wig place dyu mean the hospitals provision. Nurse told me they had this but I couldn’t be bothered to go there so got em from wish.com. Ones a bit plasticky but the long hair ones ok looks ok. Been looking at ladies with false hair as their everyday norm and decided to be creative with it. Not quite Cher more like Sonny 🤣

Lady34

i only have 1 for now.. I’ll wait and see if I need it 🤞🤞

Are yours nice? It’s so hard isn’t it.. and I did have a mini meltdown in the wig place 😢x

Dj43 I bought 2 wigs couldn’t decide so ones a bob ones shoulder length. Start chemo tomorrow with cold cap. 

BW

xxx

Blimey I’m longing for a swim. Anyway guess you know best. The thermometer I got one yesterday guess you’ve got one. Ring your nurse if needed. 

BW 

xxx

Lady 34.      Nah, I’ll see how it is.. they only strap up a broken toe anyway, which is what I’ve already done.

i was told by my oncologist def no swimming or jacuzzi/ hot tub xx

Human again! Fantastic and so soon. Hoping I’m the same want to get back to swim and sauna. Will see. Your toe! You going to hospital I guess ASAP. 

Best wishes

xxx

Dj43 Great to know this love these words shrunk, disappeared......😀

yes wishing us all positive reactions to chemo 

xx

Dj43

my Xmas do is Saturday night this week, and I certainly won’t feel up to it.. still not quite feeling myself yet, but you may be different. 
I have a wig in place too (not Brian May or Bowie tho 😂😂) and a few hats. 
do try the cold cap.. u will tolerate it, after the 1st 15 mins, it’s just a little uncomfortable but you’ll get used to it.. def worth a try! 
xx

Oh no Carolyn99! Hope it's not broken, maybe just staved (don't know if that's just a Scottish word, lol, so hope it makes sense).

I'm so glad the side effects cleared quite quickly but you're right I really don't fancy weekly either! She felt ok throughout though so that's good.

I don't start mine til next week (Thurs) had booked my Xmas night out with work on the Saturday but I don't think I'll be up for it. I'll see how I feel on the Saturday morning. If I'm not too nauseated I might go along just for the meal and come away before the drinking starts 😁.  Hate to miss my Xmas night out.🎄 Going for my wig consultation today, although I will try the cold cap, I thought I might as well get  the wig incase the cold cap isn't successful or I don't tolerate it well.

Not sure which wig to go for... can't decide between Brian may or David Bowie circa 1980, lol.

Dj43

oh, that sounds very positive. 
hope all ours behave like that! I don’t think I’d fancy weekly chemo, 3 weekly is enough for anyone.

had mine on tues afternoon, and I’m feeling almost Human now, so not so bad ladies. Xx

although I stubbed my little toe last night, and pretty sure it’s broken ( I’m the clumsiest person ever) xx

My marker was put in when they took the biopsies, I think the radiographer was so sure the lump was sinister.  I didn't feel it in the slightest. 

My friends' colleague recently had chemo before surgery for triple negative BC, the tumour had halved in size after one pulse. She was getting hers weekly though. By the time she had completed the chemo they couldn't see it at all so the surgery was guided by the marker that they had put in!

Hope we all have such a good response to treatment. 🤞

Me too.. there’s that many different drugs and treatments, it’s mind blowing. 
when I went for my chemo yesterday, there were so many different cancers being treated and so many different types of chemo. 
keep in touch on here ladies, and we can share our journey together (the good, the bad and the ugly) xx

Yes hopeful and I’m also grateful that all these treatment options exist. 

Xxx

Also did have a scan not sure if it was ultra sound. It was to get clear images of where the clip was 

Thank u ladies.. fingers crossed for us all xx🤞

Lady34 - I have to say, they do seem to be very positive about shrinking things. It does make you feel hopeful which can only be good!

Carolyn99 - my marker coil was done with guided ultrasound (I think!) and they give you a good dose of local anaesthetic so it doesn't hurt, you are just aware of them manoeuvring. You'll be fine Smiley Happy Oh and if you need painkillers after they said to take paracetemol, not aspirin or ibuprofen as that is more likely to bring out the bruises.