Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

December 2019 Chemo Starters

1,983 REPLIES 1,983
Highlighted

Re: December 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi everyone 

sorry ive been missing I joined the watsapp group and thought everyone here had too but seems not. Fluffball Dj 1978 etc sorry names are wrong. How is everyone?

I’m recovering from my op not started radiotherapy yet. Are you all on the Facebook group. I’m not it as busy enough on FB. 

Hugs to all πŸ™πŸ½β€οΈπŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Hi silvertong, Good luck with the Kadcycla.

I’m back on here to see how others are doing, and although I’ve not got any more chemo, I am very interested if anyone else has thoughts to share on endocrine therapies for oestrogen positive cancers.... I’ve started zoladex injections and exemestane and am not enjoying it. Anyone else have experiences to share? Take care X

Highlighted

All gone a bit quiet on this thread. Is that from finishing up on the chemo side or because coronavirus has changed things?

I'm about to start Kadcyla though which seems to be part targeted therapy and part chemo so I'll still hang out here a while.

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

So glad you're home and not in pain. That's good news πŸ™‚

It's another big step along the road. Well done on getting through it!

Take it steady; you'll soon be able to enjoy that view...

πŸŒ„ πŸ’•πŸ™

xx

Highlighted

Lady34 - no pain is good! I know what you mean about the fingers/toes though. I developed an odd thing with the top of my thumb and sometimes the base of it. That's eased off now though (after about a week). Hard to tell which bits are related specifically to the procedure and what is cumulative chemo or symptoms of lockdown. But we carry on πŸ™‚ Glad to hear you are doing well.

Highlighted

Good to hear you’re doing well Lady34 - you will enjoy the view soon πŸ’ͺπŸ’•

Highlighted

Good news you’re up the mountain Lady34, if not yet ready to enjoy the view. Glad you’ve got no pain in the area. Sounds like a good thing. Take care and keep in touch. Lots of love Xxx 😘 

Highlighted

Thank you all yes the op was fine been home first Day feeling ok. No pain in the area! Is that normal. Got pico7 drainage nurse dressing to be done on Monday. 

Got stronger pins and needles in fingers toes. The watsapp group is busy I can’t type much though. 

Feel I’ve managed to climb this treatment mountain not looking down to admire the scenery yet till wounds have properly healed. 

Thank you lovelies for all your support and positive energies and love. 

Massive hugs to all

πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•β€οΈπŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Evening Lady34

Hope you're well out of surgery now and have had something to eat and drink. 

Sending lots of love πŸ₯° 😸 πŸ’œ ❀

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lady34 virtual πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ‘­πŸ‘­ from everyone round you for tomorrow β€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Highlighted

Good news Lady34. I had a covid test but it was a waste of time as she didn't go deep enough. At least yours will give you an accurate result.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow x

Highlighted

Thank you Darlings for wishes for tomorrow all’s ok going ahead was going as a day patient but went there today for a covid test and told they may keep me overnight. It may be for the best cos i was a bit worried as I’m sleeping alone in my room upstairs. Hubby downstairs but sleeps like a log if I feel ill he won’t hear me calling πŸ˜€ The complexities of it all!

Has anyone had a covid test. Omg what a trauma had no idea what it was? Nostrils and throat swab but with depth 😩 won’t say more no choice has to be done! Like this operation!

Sending massive love and hugs. πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€Going in at 7.30am

Highlighted

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, Lady34, and hoping you get on okay.

Much love πŸ’•

xx

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

Good luck for tomorrow. Thinking of you x

Highlighted

Best wishes for tomorrow Lady34.  Speak soon xx

Lynne

Highlighted

Good luck tomorrow lady34. I hope everything’s going ahead as planned. Thinking of you Xxx

Highlighted

Thanks, Lady34 😊

xx

Highlighted

Madcatlady 

great antibotics working. 

Sending hugs 

xxx

Highlighted

Awh rizzer I must have known at the time. We’re either op first then chemo or the other way around. 

Xxx

big hug to ya 

Highlighted

Nov/Dec last year lady34... 2 ops. Mastectomy with sentinel node removal, then 2nd ol with full axillary node clearance X

Highlighted

Hi rizzer 

when did you have your op? Yes will get through this and looking back on it it won’t seem as bad. 

Xxx

sending hugs

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

I know what you mean...it's a scary time.

I'm feeling much better, thanks, and the antibiotics seem to be doing the job.

Roll on 6 May and you'll have another milestone to tick off.

Sending lots of love, and hope you have a good weekend too.

πŸŒžπŸ€— xx

Highlighted

Hey lady34,

It’s natural to be anxious about the surgery. Especially with everything that’s going on with cv on top. I found the breast care nurses were so lovely and supportive (one even took my glasses and returned them to my room after walking with me all the way to the operating theatre). 
You can do this ❀️ and you will be in the very best of care. Will be thinking of you on the 6th and keep us posted how you’re doing Xxx

Highlighted

Good luck @Lady34 for the op.  It’s an anxious time waiting which is almost worse than the op itself!

Lynne x

Highlighted

Evening All

madcatlady thank you for your support. It’s such an emotional time at the moment easy to feel tearful just watching the news. 

Good that the virus has reached its peak perhaps lockdown conditions will ease. 

Hope your cellulitis has improved. Have a lovely weekend. Lots of love πŸ’— 

Hugs to all

πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

That sounds better - fewer or no side effects. And at least you know the chemo ones upfront. Let's hope the side effect fairies are kind, though, if you're having the treatment for six months 🀞

The operation sounds good: as you say, a boob lift whilst they're getting rid of the gremlin. I've had the lumpectomy and then the mastectomy, so something that sounds sort of halfway between seems a good compromise in removing what they need without being too invasive.

You're bound to be anxious; you've had a long time to think about surgery, whereas mine were done before chemo. I have so much admiration for the ladies going through chemo knowing they've got to deal with the surgery afterwards. 

Keep eating and drinking well, take what exercise you can, rest when you need to, and breathe....you will get there! πŸ’œ

xx

Highlighted

Hi Madcatlady 

Fingers crossed the echo shows clear and the radiographer is right. According to the chemo nurses yesterday this antibody treatment has little or no side effects. According to google the side effects are similar to chemo but to a lesser degree. I’m on antibodys 3 weekly for 6 months. 

I’m getting anxious about my op on the 6th it’s not a mastectomy just a reduction so I convinced myself there’s no need for anxiety 😩

Hugs to all

πŸ™πŸ½β€οΈπŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

That's great news about the grapefruit and pomegranate! You'll be happy about that 😁

How do you feel after the antibody treatment? How many are there, and what side effects might you encounter? Hopefully it's less invasive than the chemo...and not long now until your operation! πŸ™‚

I've got another course of antibiotics after my lower legs became red and tender again late last week and my ankles swelled up. It looks like cellulitis again, so they've given me a longer course (two weeks). 

I had an echo ultrasound of the heart today as the oncology doctor just wanted to check heart function as chemo can affect it, and poor pumping can lead to swollen lower limbs (although she was sure it was an infection). The radiographer said it all looked fine, so hopefully that's the case.

Sending lots of hugs πŸ’•

xx

Highlighted

Evening lovelies 

How is everyone? 

Had my antibody today trastuzumab and pertuzumab took a couple of hours and great news I’m allowed grapefruit and pomegranate πŸ˜€ madcatlady I’m sorted  

hugs to all

πŸ™πŸ½β€οΈπŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

The pink grapefruits sound lovely.

Here's hoping you have a largely side effect free experience this time.

Have you had a good weekend?

xx

Highlighted

Awh Lynne

Thats great to know so want to be free of side effects can cope with some but not all πŸ˜€

xxx

Highlighted

I’ve just had my 4th Herceptin and all have been by injection.  Last one was 1st without chemo and have had no real side effects other than joint ache.

Lynne x

Highlighted

Hi Silvertong

yes it’s the one. Read up on it and seems 1st time is 90mins drip the rest injections. 

Silly me also read the side effects same set of possible nasties as chemo had. 

πŸ˜€ Here’s me expecting my taste and these pins and needles to get better! 

Living in hope πŸ˜€πŸ™πŸ½πŸ˜€ 

Hugs to all 

Highlighted

Hey Lady34

The antibody treatment is that Herceptin/Trastuzumab? I had it via iv drip with chemo but now by injection which is (allegedly) quicker. 

Highlighted

Evening All

Too late madcatlady πŸ˜€ 3 gorgeous pink grapefruits already eaten. Pomegranate juice dressing for salad I’ve kept away from too but will have a squirt soon. 

6 months sacrificing πŸ˜€ enough! Will ask at the hospital on 28th going for first antibody treatment. What does this involve? Gather it’s on a drip and doesn’t take long to administer. 

Hope you’re all having a chilled out weekend. 

Lots of hugs πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ½

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

Glad you're busy and active. There's nothing like sunshine, and moving through the treatment cycle, to make you feel good 🌼🌞

I read about having no grapefruit or pomegranate seeds during chemo, but I wasn't told to avoid anything specifically. In fact, a registrar I saw in clinic told me that she strongly advised all her vegetarian patients (like me) that they needed meat to help them cope with chemo. (Never read that anywhere or heard it from anyone else.)

It might be worth asking the question about antibody treatment and foods to avoid if they are things you like or would normally eat.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

I wasn't told not to have them and I had pomegranate the other day! 😬😳

Highlighted

Evening lovelies 

Another day of sunny gardening and cooking. So relieved to be up and about πŸ˜€ 

I guess I’m not the only one who onco told not to have grapefruit or pomegranate during treatment. Does anyone know if we can have them now even if on anti body treatment? 

πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

Glad you're doing okay πŸ’•

It is hard to not get frightened, but as rizzer says, we've got a wealth of experience between us, what with different operations and treatment  plans. The great thing is we all understand each other's worries, queries, highs and lows.

I've had a lovely afternoon enjoying the sun, and hope you have too.

Sending love and positive thoughts πŸ’•

xx

Highlighted

Hey silvertong and lady34, absolutely brilliant to hear you’re having your ops. 

I had a mastectomy, no recon and then full axillary node clearance in second op (as had a false negative in my SNB - initially came back as clear when it wasn’t) so between us all on here, it sounds like we’ve had a lot of permutations of possible operations! A wealth of experience! 

Sending loads of love to you both - so pleased for you Xx

Highlighted

Madcatlady thank you for thinking of me πŸ’• I love how we all connect even though we’re at different stages. I so agree that the professionals we are in the hands of know much more than us from theory but also their experiences of practice. 

I’m not letting in these doubts of diagnosis you’re right the mind gets tired and can play tricks. It’s multiple opinions anyway not just the initial radiographers view of our mammogram. 

The proof as my onco surgeon said yesterday is the results of the tumour from pathology after my op.   Hope you’re enjoying today’s sun. Lots of love πŸ’• 

Highlighted

Hi MrsS1968

It's funny about DCIS not showing up very well. I'd never heard of it, but have subsequently heard of women having a combination of invasive and non- or pre-invasive BC. 

(I still can't get my head around the fact that my invasive lump only required a WLE, but the non- or pre-invasive DCIS required a mastectomy in case it decided to change.)

xx

Highlighted

Hi Lady34

That's great news about the operation being soon and not as invasive 😊 

It's just so much to take in though, so I'm not surprised you crashed out.

Look after yourself.

xx

Highlighted

Hi silvertong

That's great news! My first op was a WLE and SNB too. I had a line across my breast, but it wasn't visible once I was wearing a bra, and one in the underarm area. My breast looked the same as before.

Numbness where they remove the lymph nodes is common, but does usually go off.

Follow the exercises, and also make sure you don't lift anything heavy on that side until told to.

Be prepared to be tired afterwards, and rest when you need to.

I was signed off for two weeks and told not to drive for the same period. I did read different things on the forum, with some driving much sooner and others taking a month. 

Hope that helps.

xx

Highlighted

Hi @Silvertong, I had a double mastectomy without reconstruction last September (stage 3 left and high grade DCIS right), so can’t really help you either!  Only thing I can say is that it was a lot more straightforward than I expected xx

Highlighted

Wow Silvertong same here Woosh and I was pre-oped for operation on 6th May

Im having a cross between a mastectomy and lumpectomy. It’s basically a reduction of one breast called augmentation mamaplasty and an uplift πŸ˜€ basically a boob job but removing the offending critter. I’m so pleased it’s not a complete mastectomy which was what was originally planned. it’s not at the main hospital I go to but a private hospital in London. Day patient only. 

I came home from the hospital yesterday and fell asleep from exhaustion I couldn’t digest all the information plus that my chemo is done plus given an anti body appointment next week too.

Im feeling such a mix of emotions. I haven’t really let myself get in touch with how I feel so far on this journey. But feel relieved grateful fortunate protected by positive forces (guardian angels πŸ˜€ leprechauns)

sending all love hugs and blessings πŸ™πŸ½πŸ’•πŸ€

Highlighted

Will be thinking of you Silvertong. I can't help you with what to expect as I had a mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. It's just wonderful that you are getting surgery x

Highlighted

WLE and sentinal node biopsy on Wednesday. Bit apprehensive but knew it was coming so remaining positive. I'll take all the top tips for getting through this next step of my journey!

Highlighted

Good luck @Silvertong, what day is your op next week?

Highlighted

Madcatlady I also had invasive DCIS which didn't show up so well on mammogram or ultrasound. Showed up better with MRI. when my breast surgeon palpated my lumpy boob she initially thought it was cysts.

Fantastic news Silvertong. How are you feeling about it? What op are you having? X