1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2020 Chemo Starters

higgi

Re: December 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi I’m glad I’m not the only one whose wide awake at 4 ... sometimes it’s earlier !! I’m gonna ask em about it on Tuesday when I have bloods done again ready for chemo on wed ..round 2 . Hair has been moulting all day ... thinking I might have to shave it off tomorrow day 17 . I’ve got lots of beanies in as I didn’t want a wig . I’ll look at Anna bandanna thankyou Anyone else having chemo 1st then surgery like me ??  X

JuliaS

Thank you. I could get to London so that would be a good option. X

Shine13

@JuliaS  For anyone where central London is easy I found info@jehair.com gave me excellent  advice on looking after chemo hair and wigs.  Going back for fitting and a shave (if I 've got the nerve on sat). I 'll be happy with a wig that does nt look like cancer wig. :-).  I did nt go with the cold cap but another plus I did t before was   I understand  hair grows back quicker with a cold cap if it does fall out.

Susie B

Hi December ladies

Glad you've discovered Annabandana. For those of you with PICC lines I'd recommend their covers too. Much prettier than the hospital tube.

Susie B x

grannyp

Hi again @JuliaS 

Fingers crossed for your hair. You seem to be doing very well, so let's hope that it hangs in there! And thanks for the recommendation of Annabandana - I just had a quick look and they do seem to be very reasonable. I have bought a couple of cheap sleep beanies and one head covering to start off with, but guess I am likely to need more, so I will definitely have a good look at the site once the hair drop has started. The wig lady is fairly local and covers a large area of the south east. Her card was given to me by my hospital - in normal times she does visit the hospital for consultations but at the moment she is purely operating by visiting at home. It isn't cheap but she will bring a selection of wigs for me to try, having sent her a photo of my current hair and a note of what I am looking for. In the current situation I am not sure that she should really be coming into the house but she has given details of her PPE and full Covid precautions and I intend to leave windows/doors open and wear a mask. My view is that it can be classed as a medical appointment! I felt that this was a better option than just buying online. She will advise on the wigs themselves and the after care of them etc and is always available for questions afterwards. If I don't like any of the wigs I simply have to make an agreed payment for her time, which is perfectly reasonable.

Glad that you continue to feel well. I am also getting on with things more or less normally now and did my longest walk to date this morning - didn't manage 7km but it felt really good to be out and doing a normal morning dog walk. Hopefully another one later.

Hope your next treatment goes as well as the first. I am having a port fitted on 23rd, so two more hospital visits next week - covid test, followed by an afternoon in there for fitting. I suppose it is a couple of trips out!!

xx

dipitdee

Thanks @Karden I’ll definitely give that a go!

Karden

@dipitdee 

I bought this soon after diagnosis, recommended to me by someone who has just finished chemo.

It's written by a GP and a breast cancer surgeon who have both gone through breast cancer.

It's written in a clear and honest way, medical terms clearly explained and lots of practical advice. You can get it on Amazon really quickly.

Karden

@dipitdee 

See my earlier post on mouthwash - Biotene was recommended to me (approx £7 for 500ml) but worth it. It's a special one for dry mouths and there's a matching toothpaste too. It can be bought cheaper on Amazon but I got mine from the local pharmacy and I know that Boots do it as well.

Hope your toothache has settled. X

JuliaS

Morning GrannyP

i haven’t noticed any hair loss from my head yet ( day 16 ) but my scalp has been tingly too so just hoping for the best. Is your wig lady local to you? We have a Macmillan Wellbeing Centre at our hospital who would normally help with wigs but they are not able to at the moment. They did recommend Annabandana for hats and scarves and little beanies to sleep in.

Anna bandana.co.uk 

I ordered a couple of things  and they came by return and the prices are so reasonable. Highly recommend. 

I have been feeling well this week and have enjoyed pottering around  getting ready for our mini Christmas as next chemo is 23rd . Did a 7km walk too in the sunshine which was lovely. 
 I am wide awake at 4 most mornings (sometimes a bit earlier! ) but I have a light up kindle and so I have a read . 

My son lives in Japan so the middle of the night is a good time to message him with the 9 hour time difference. Silver linings! 
Xxx

grannyp

Hi @JuliaS 
Hope you are still feeling ok. Not TMI on the Brazilian front - that made me chuckle😂 How is any other hair loss going? I also used the cold cap & will be more than pleased if I retain some of my hair. But as my head has felt a bit ‘tingly’ in places virtually since my treatment I am not holding out a lot of hope. I have a visit from a wig lady on Sunday, so at least I will be prepared - I am definitely not someone who will be able to embrace the bald head! 
Christmas is different & difficult for most people this year & I think we fo just need to look forward and hope for better times soon. It is difficult managing my covid risk whilst my son & daughter need to carry on with what daily life they still have. But we are all being as sensible as possible and I truly think we all have to accept that life isn’t risk free and also think of our overall health and wellbeing. 
By the way, I was exactly the same with coffee. It still doesn’t taste as good as usual but definitely better than a few days ago. 
Take care and good luck

Patsy x

grannyp

Morning @Karden and all you other lovely ladies. Sounds like most of us are getting through the early stages of treatment reasonably well. Long may it continue🤞
Hope you can sort out your eating @Karden - 8lbs is a lot of weight to lose in a week. I seem to have the opposite problem - if food isn’t physically locked away at the moment it is finding its way into my mouth and I haven’t dared get on the scales😂 I am walking twice a day to try to counter this a little but my activity levels are way below what was previously normal for me. I intend to get back to doing some daily yoga and hope that will help all round! 
Regarding work, I only work from home on the admin side of our own businesses, so I can work as and when it suits me. But getting on with a few hours work each day this week has been invaluable, instilling some ‘normality’ and taking my mind completely away from cancer treatment. For those of you wondering about work, my advice would be that if you feel well enough and are able to negotiate a suitable arrangement with your employer, then give it a go. Not possible - or even desirable - for everyone but worth a try if you are able. 
Hope you all continue to feel reasonably well and good luck to all of you having treatments in the next few days.

Patsy x

higgi

Hi December teamies! 
that book is fantastic and her blog is amazing to read it’s really helped me . 
diet wise I’ve had so much sweet stuff so need reign it in ... ice cream is heaven !😂

id love to work as you say it distracts but I can’t do it from home and it involves a lot of emotional energy as a counsellor and so I don’t think it’s the right time . Instead I’m focusing on self care and it’s given me time to walk everyday with friends ( small bubble n social distanced of course 😂

keep cleaning teeth n mouth wash snd use tipees n dental floss ... the mouth is a breeding ground for germs . Stay safe guys ! Big hugs xxxx

im moulting a little ..day 16 

dipitdee

1FB8EAEB-D776-43E8-81CD-405B15ABFBEC.jpeg

My friend sent me this book this week, which I found really useful. Wish I’d had it when I got diagnosed.

dipitdee

Thanks @Shine13 it’s definitely something I’ll think about. I also felt a bit fuzzy for the first week or so but felt back to normal (mostly) after that. Long may it continue and hopefully it’s the same for you.

One thing I’m going to need to get is a more gentle mouthwash I think. I’ve woken up with toothache for the second time this week. Called the ward as I wasn’t sure about infection but they’ve said it’s most likely just an effect from the chemo (to keep an eye out for raised temp etc obvs) but it’s so debilitating! 

Karden

@Susie B 

Thanks for the useful tips which I will try. I have found that vanilla ice cream is good and yoghurt with chopped up tinned peaches (they are softer than fresh).

I really need to find proteins and less sweet things and have ordered the 'Royal Marsden Cancer Cook Book' which I will report back on.

I weighed myself yesterday and have lost 8lbs in a week. Good news if I were dieting but it's an indication that my nutrition is suffering.

The Biotene mouthwash is refreshing and I'm going to try the toothpaste of the same name as my usual one feels too strong and burns my mouth.

I'll add more as I try different things out.

Karden

Hi Woodybird,

I'm glad I was able to make you snigger in these dark days. I'm not a Geordie but I did used to love watching Jimmy Nail and the gang in Auf Wiedersehen Pet!! 🤨

How did your C-day go? I hope you're feeling 'not bad'.

What treatment of have you started on and what's your treatment plan?

Sending you lots of hugs. Karen x

Shine13

@dipitdee   I am trying to work as with lock down it is going to be a really hard 6 months. I am only day 6 of my first cycle of EU so early days and I think it will get harder. I am lucky, I can work from home. Concentration goes a bit with a fuzzy head but is does distract from symptons  and make the days go quicker.  I recommend trying it for some tiny bit of normality. I have gone down to 4 days week and expect to to be taking more six time as I go through cycles.

Xx

Susie B

Hi Karden and everyone else in the Dec group 

Quick tips:-

Regarding horrible tasting food and drink, try eating lemon flavoured sweets such as sherbet lemons especially during chemo.

Try sucking an ice lolly, I know it's winter, 🥶 as that can help alleviate the discomfort of a sore mouth for a while.

If you are provided with a meal during chemo, sandwiches or jacket potatoes seemed to be popular options within our February 19 group, try to chane things around a bit and perhaps bring in a snack from home. Having had sandwiches during each of my first 4 rounds chemo, I was also on the ROSCO trial, I couldn't face sandwiches again until very recently as I associated them with chemo. Some of the other girls in our group had a similar problem.

Take care, stay strong xx

Ps, incase you're wondering our February 19 group continue to chat everyday via Facebook messenger. If you look back you'll see that our posts went into the thousands! We chat about anything and everything.

Woodybird

Thanks Karden, had a good snigger to myself reading your first sentence as in my head I was hearing a geordie accent - day 7 in the chemo cycle house and all the house mates are finding another new symptom popping up to bite them on the bum 😃

C-day for me! Was anxious last night but feeling calmer this morning. See you on the other side....

Karden

• Day 7 and have woken up feeling 'not bad' after a good night's sleep.

My main inconvenience is the taste in my mouth coupled with dryness and no tasty food has passed my lips since Saturday morning.

Duotene dry mouth wash was recommended to me and it helps. I enjoyed an egg sandwich and a small amount of vanilla ice cream which went down well.

I'm hoping I might manage something more substantial today. Any other food tips and experiences welcome.

Keep up the good fight everyone!

Karden

Day 7 and have woken up feeling 'not bad' after a good night's sleep.

My main inconvenience is the taste in my mouth coupled with dryness and no tasty food has passed my lips since Saturday morning.

Duotene dry mouth wash was recommended to me and it helps. I enjoyed an egg sandwich and a small amount of vanilla ice cream which went down well.

I'm hoping I might manage something more substantial today. Any other food tips and experiences welcome.

Keep up the good fight everyone!

dipitdee

Good to know I’m not the only one obsessing about when hair loss is going to happen. I’ve bought clippers and several turbans and hats in preparation, including a fluffy Santa hat for Xmas day so as not to freak my 3 year old out too much! 

I’m on day 11 after first EC and feeling pretty good now. Had to get movicol for constipation but seems to be ok now. I’ve been told to take on the day of every treatment from now on. 

I’d also be interested to know if anyone is working. I was supposed to start a new job the week I got diagnosed so I told them I’d hold off for now. It’s a self-employed advocacy job so I could work when I like but there’s training to complete first. At the moment I’m feeling like I might actually be ok to work but don’t want to commit if things get more difficult down the line. I guess there’s no way of knowing how your body is going to react to different treatments.

higgi

Hi I’m day 14 like you and can’t grumble too much as I’ve managed the indegestion and constipation from early few days with movicol and omeprazole. Had severe back ache day 7 then ok . 
get achey eyes like I’ve had wrong prescription glasses on 😂. worst fatigue was day 5 then gradually got better . I was very fit before so I find I can exercise every day .. indoor cycle and walk for fresh air and SANITY ! I was breathless when training last week but today day 14 I’m pretty much back to normal completing a 50 km bike today ! Nuts I know 😂 . I had to take a step back from work as I’m a counsellor/cbt therapist and I didn’t feel my head was in the right place initially and I do face to face . Miss helping others massively but have set up an Instagram acct to motivate and inspire others . This makes me feel good . I defo just think about this cycle and try stay in the here n now !  No hair loss yet !! Is this chemo working 😂 

big hugs to you all U R AMAZING ! 

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do keep eye out for thrush mouth, chemo is know for causing this and it will need antibiotics ❤️Keep safe 💕💕Shi xx

JuliaS

morning grannyP

Glad it hasn’t been too bad for you. I am on day 14 after my first EC and  have been pretty well apart from a bit of heartburn. I didn’t drink coffee for a week which was  strange as I love coffee! Today though,  and apologies if too much information , but I seem to be getting a Brazilian courtesy of the NHS. I wore the Cold Cap for my treatment so 🤞. I know what you mean about affecting the family. My two girls are spending  together with their partners. I felt bad at first but they are enjoying planning it and next year will seem extra specially special in so many ways. Main thing is we keep safe! 
xx

Karden

Day 1 was 1st TC chemo day. Day 3 was ok ( I had TC over 2 days) but day 4 brought a major UTI which meds have cleared.

Feeling tired with joint pains in knees and ankles (TC can cause this). It makes it hard to settle to reading or watching TV as my legs won't rest.

A bit of diarrhoea but no sickness. My mouth is dry and everything tastes of nothing, or maybe metallic but I can taste ginger biscuits but there's a limit to how many I really want!

Like many others I wonder how I will get through the 4 cycles. I'm a strong, practical person but this is really testing me already.

Out of interest, is anyone managing to work from home in any capacity? I rang in sick yesterday but might manage some emails today. x

Pyewacket

@Shine13 Hello, yes everything I've read points to around the three week mark for the hair starting to go. I'm strangely intrigued by it. Bet I won't be once it actually happens! Glad to read you're coping well!

Shine13

@Pyewacket @I have read in a few places day 19 is often when hair starts to fall out

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

You are all amazing ❤️ Hold onto each other tight 👭 you will get each other through and before you know it you will be on the Sunbed’s ❤️ When you get to rads 😎 think of it as going for quick Sunbed 👍 that’s what I did said hi to the machine and called it bap Zappa or something along those lines, it was extra doctor in the Arsenal that gets thrown at it 👍👍like chemo is extra doctor in inside going 🥊🥊🥊🥊🥊💣💣💣💣💕💕Shi xx

grannyp

Hi @Shine13 

@Pleased to hear that your side effects haven’t been too bad. I am two days ahead of you with first EC and mine too have also been manageable. Don’t feel completely normal but I was imagining much worse. Still a long way to go but I think a good start means a lot. I know that I would feel even worse emotionally if I was suffering badly physically. 
6 months must seem like an eternity. I am struggling big time with 3 months! But as everyone says one step, one day & one cycle at a time. I am finding that very hard but it is the best way. 

grannyp

Hi @donkeywoman 

@Thanks for your response. Yes, one of the hardest things is going from feeling very healthy, even after surgery, to feeling ill due to the treatment that is supposed to be doing you good!! But as long as the side effects remain manageable we have to be grateful for that!

I agree that it is good to hear how everyone is managing physically and emotionally and we can all learn from each other and hopefully support each other along the way  

grannyp

Thank you @Shi 
You always give such good and positive advice to all of us. Thank you so much for being there and listening. I have told myself from the start that this all has to be one step and one day at a time but it is bloomin’ hard! Apart from my total resistance to chemo, which I find difficult to shake, I think that the whole Covid situation is making this so much harder for all of us going through treatment. Being able to do something relatively ‘normal’ would make such a difference to my mindset. I am so pleased that at least for the first few days of my first treatment I have not suffered badly and I am also very lucky to live in a location where I can get out for lovely walks. But treatment and the whole need for extra care makes the isolation seem worse. And having to place extra restrictions on my adult kids who are currently with us - for differing pandemic-related reasons- doesn’t sit easy with me. I know that I have to get through it one way or another and I also do know that I will definitely be more positive at times. 
And as soon as I had my starting date I did say that the fact that once we get to new year I will have had two treatments would be a bonus psychologically. So there’s one positive!! 
Hoping that everyone else is feeling as well as possible and is able to get through all this as easily as possible 😊

Pyewacket

Good evening all,

Nice to read everyone's updates. Hope everyone is continuing to manage OK.

I'm day 10 after my 1st EC treatment, by day 7 the grotty 'hangover' feeling had gone and I'm pretty much normal if not particulary energetic. Had some low back pain on and off today which I think is related to the filgastrim injections, they said it meant my bone marrow was busy doing its thing, so took it as a good sign. My mouth is a little sore on and off (probably down to the packet of ginger nuts i polished off), but no ulcers as such. Also my gullet felt like I may get heartburn yesterday, but that seems fine again today.

Is anyone else tugging at their hair to see if it's falling out yet? Going to give myself bald patches prematurely at this rate!

Take care all, Pye xx

donkeywoman

Hi @grannyp I really identify with what you said about your own attitude towards chemo and therefore how you view you it now. I think I feel similarly. I have always dreaded the idea of chemo and thought I would challenge the idea of it. However, once I had the diagnosis and the surgery, I just decided I would take whatever I was told I should have. But I know that there is a loud voice in my head, asking if I really need it? And the whole thing about feeling so well and recovered from a mastectomy, but knowing that my immune system is about destroyed, is very difficult and challenging. 

But in the end, I am going to put myself in the hands of the team. Long may your manageable symptoms last and all the one day at a time, mindfulness stuff makes so much sense. Not sure how I will get on with it though! 

Thank you everyone for your honesty and your tips 🤗

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

I had post it note up in kitchen and ticked them off as went through, helped keep me focused, remember do what’s right for you no right or wrongs you do what you need to do for you to get you through. Steroid induced shopping and through the night chats when you can’t sleep on here can become the norm, think of it like being on 🏄 riding big wave, you do reach the shore and we are all cheering you on with a nice Sunbed for you to relax on when you’ve done 👍💕💕Shi xx

Shine13

• Hi there I started EU on Friday and found it not to bad just a bad hangover. Eating small meals regularly and keeping distracted seems to work I was expecting a lot worse. 6 months seems along time and I understand the symptoms accumulate. I guess stay in the now one cycle at at time it is a mindset thing.
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Granny p 👭step by step and day by day darling. Try breaking it down into cycles rather than looking at it in months, it sounds crazy but it does help them go quicker when broken down into cycles ❤️ You do whatever it is you need to do to help you through everyone is different and try and chuck it behind a big door in your mind and lock it shut and you’ve got key to door safely with you and if it managed to open itself and poke it’s head out kick it back in there slam door shut on it and lock it up again ❤️ Whatever you need to do 👭👭 lots of ❤️And support on here and all of bcn services and support, use them ❤️❤️💕💕Shi xx

grannyp

Hi @Jet75 

Hope that your side effects are still proving manageable. So far so good for me on the side effects. Hit a bit by fatigue today but I had done more and it did pass. 
My biggest problem is that I am looking at the months lying ahead and am really struggling to see how I will get through them, even if I should be lucky enough to not suffer terrible side effects. Especially with all the additional Covid restraints it just looks like a complete impossibility. I am feeling huge admiration for all the people who are doing this and who have done it before us. I thought I was pretty strong but I am having to review that! 
I believe that the fact that I accepted chemo very very reluctantly, rather than just accepting everything that they can throw at me, is probably responsible for my current view. But I guess I just have to get my head down and count the weeks down! 
Good luck to everyone having treatment this coming week 😊

donkeywoman

morning @Jet75 and all. Glad your 1st treatment went smoothly and hope your symptoms remain manageable. I don't know about anyone else, but, as well as it being useful to hear people's experiences and ways to manage difficult stuff, I find it good to hear about folk who are managing fine! It's just helpful to remember that we are all different. 

I still have a week to go - I swing massively from thinking 'it's okay, I will just feel crap, but I can always stay in bed if necessary' to panicking 'I'm going to get sepsis or covid and not realise until it's too late - and I'm a nurse and should know better'! It's quite tiring... I did find writing  a list of the things I'm worried about helpful. I did it really quickly, without thinking too much and then noticed that they are really not about feeling ill, much more about me getting things wrong and feel that i'm not being 'good' enough. I have a running joke with friends about me wanting to be 'star patient'! 

But I do find this forum helpful,I like the anonymity of it and knowing that none of you will feel you need to read my burbles if you don't want to. 

Hope all your Fridays are as good as they can be x

Jet75

Morning everyone, 

So 1st session completed yesterday, used the cold cap and was fine, yes cold but nothing unbearable.

Chemo also went fine, no effects while administering. 

Had the zoladex injection (er+,) to stop the oestrogen, that was probably the worst, quite a big needle so a bit uncomfortable.

Have my filgrastim injections to self administrator from tomorrow for a week .

I'm am feeling fine so far, no side effects, taken some anti sickness and the mouth wash in preparation. Think it's lulling me into a false sense of security, waiting for the side effects I am sure will be in their way.

Hope everyone else is doing ok ? - Jayne  

JuliaS

Hello Jet75
i started last week and did use the Cold Cap. I didn’t find the cold too bad although was glad of my blanket. It did feel tight on my head though. It is quite a slow process taking it off as your head has to gradually thaw out. I will try it again though as would definitely be worth it if it works. You can always stop using the cold cap if you don’t like it but I think once you have had a treatment without it it probably isn’t going to work so I thought it was worth a try. Best of luck with your treatment whatever you decide. Remember once done it is one down! Xx

grannyp

Hi @Jet75 

Hope that all went well today. Did you give the cold cap a go? 
I had my first treatment yesterday. Went well although I did feel a bit woozy/lightheaded which the nurse thought was down to the cold cap. No real problem as I was just sitting there anyway! 
Very nauseous overnight & this morning, not helped by having very little sleep. But much better since lunchtime - anti-sickness meds seem to be working🤞Just got to wait to see what turns up next!  Trip back to hospital this afternoon for the filgastrim injection and instructions on how to do it myself next cycle. 
We have now ticked one off!! 

higgi

I wasn’t on here before so I just rocked up no bag just a fone 😂 hope it comes soon x

higgi

Hope it’s gone well today ! Thinking of you 

higgi

Hi Jayne ! Good luck 🤞 u sound similar to me tho none of us are r the same . But we are all here together supporting each other ! X

higgi

Hi ow u feeling ? I’m only aweek ahead like Julia and same chemo plan . X

higgi

Hi I’m new to the forum ! I started on 2 too . Waited 5 weeks following diagnosis !! Plan is 6x chemo then mastectomy then radiotherapy then might b done or might need more chemo . 
I’m day 9 now and some back pain today after finishing last injection yday . Managing the constipation and indegestion with movicol and omeprazole . Ows everyone doing ❤️

Jet75

Morning everyone - it's my 1st day of chemo too, just getting my bag ready (will think I'm stopping for the weekend) meds, books, medicines, blanket etc 

Is anyone trying the cold cap ? I've justvundr 3 hours to start and can't make up my mind !! 

Good luck everyone 

donkeywoman

Thanks,  that does look good. I love a checklist. And, pleasingly I've done most of those things. But definitely some more to get and organise. 

Woodybird