December 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in December 2020.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day and get a thermometer and check your temperature every day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-…

Here’s an excellent article for anyone concerned about hairloss. That’s pretty much everyone starting chemo: pinklotus.com/powerup/breastcancer101/chemo-hair-loss-and-menopause-hair-too/

Here are some apps which can help to keep you on track: 

breastcancernow.org/information-support/support-you/becca

nhs.uk/apps-library/owise-breast-cancer/

careology.health/

I finished my chemo in October 2017 and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:

lifeafterlola.com/

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don’t immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

Hello. Glad to find this thread as I start chemo on 2nd December. Will appreciate sharing any tips and encouragement to help us through it. 

Hi guys

I am expecting to start chemo some time in December. I don’t even have a confirmed oncologist appointment yet but I was told that they will aim to get started this side of Christmas. So I will be watching this thread with interest and will join in once I have my dates and treatment plan. 

Good luck to all those who are about to start on this part of the rollercoaster. I am sure many of you are as terrified as I am!

Hello,

Starting chemo Weds 9th Dec 

Ec x 3 or 4 followed by Docetaxel x 3

I’m nervous but thinking the sooner I board the chemo train the sooner I’ll be able to get off! x

Hi - I am due to start my chemo this Thursday (10th) it will have been 5 weeks since diagnosis with many tests and scans and now ready to “get going” I’ve to have a picc line put in in Tuesday.

Unfortunately I am stage 3c, which is breast lump, auxiliary and supraclavicular nodes. Which is a further hurdle to try to overcome.

So I have 3/ 4 cycles of docetaxol followed by 3/4 EC. Hoping they “do their job” I will have a masectomy and auxiliary nodes extraction and finally radiotherapy to the neck nodes. 

Wishing everyone all the best as we start the chemotherapy and hope we can help and share updates to support each other.  - Jayne

Morning everyone - it’s my 1st day of chemo too, just getting my bag ready (will think I’m stopping for the weekend) meds, books, medicines, blanket etc 

Is anyone trying the cold cap ? I’ve justvundr 3 hours to start and can’t make up my mind !! 

Good luck everyone 

Hi all, a bit late to the thread, but also a December chemo starter.

Chemo was never in my treatment plan, initial diagnosis was DCIS and I had surgery (Mammoplasty) 6 wks ago, was then due for rads only. 

Diagnosis changed following histology on my lump, to TNBC. I was referred to oncology and discussed chemo. Due to my age (under 40) they wanted me to have chemo too, so I will start it on Wed (23rd).

I will be having 12 x 1 weekly Paclitaxel and during those 12 weeks I’ll also have Carboplatin every 3 weeks. Once my genetic testing results are back (probably another 5 weeks) this may change, but that’s the plan for now.

Saw my breast surgeon consultant today & he’s happy with my scarring/swelling from surgery, so gave the green light for chemo.

Good luck all :slightly_smiling_face: Rach x