cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2020 Chemo Starters

donkeywoman

Re: HiRe: December 2020 Chemo Starters

Morning all

@Karden a busy week for you - will be good when the weekend is here and your surgery is done. Will you be home the same evening? I was amazed that I could have a mastectomy as a day case, but it was so good to come home and sleep in my own bed. Will think of you on Friday. Sunny here in Derbyshire too. I'm good thanks, thrush has cleared up and I'm feeling pretty much fine. So I got up for the animals this morning which always feels a bonus and the sign of progress. I feel I have been lucky this cycle (so far, it's only day 11...)

@Shine13 - probably worth reporting the dropping and falling. Do you hands and/or feet seem numb? Apparently that it the thing they are concerned about. I've not had any symptoms of neuropathy after 5 doses of Docetaxel, so can't really compare. 

All the best for Monday xx

Shine13

@Karden  good luck for Friday will be thinking off you.

My oncologist keeps asking if I have any neuropathy and as I have no pins and needles having been saying no.  This weekend I smashed three cups and fell over on a walk. My friend says my gait has changed so I think I am having problems with grip and balance. Has anyone noticed any symptoms like these?  

Not getting any pain which is a common symptom. 

Karden

What a lot of posts, I'm afraid I've not been posting as often as I did as I seem to be on an even keel right now and nothing major to report, I am reading your posts though.

@Shine13 only 6 more weeks, you're almost there, 25th April will soon be here.

@grannyp How's your energy and mood today? My own fluctuates so much with no obvious reason. You seem to be doing well with your longer walks though and being outdoors is good.

@donkeywoman I also wonder if and when I will feel like my old self but I think I may have to settle for my new self. I hope the thrush has improved and that the exercise is helping with your weak legs. 12 days post chemo, how is your sense of taste and general appetite?

@higgi You rang the bell - great news! A few of us will be on Herceptin until December so we can continue to swap notes and support each other. Tenby in April! Something lovely to look forward to before your surgery, please remind me what it is.

@Woodybird I chose fair on the census form for my state of health on the basis that I feel so much better since chemo finished.

Well, here's my schedule for this week:

Covid swab done this morning and taken to drop-off at hospital - this is for the Herceptin dose on Thursday.

Covid swab again tomorrow for lumpectomy on Friday.

Telephone appointment tomorrow with oncologist.

Herceptin on Thursday morning.

Pre-op radioactive injection on Thursday afternoon.

Surgery on Friday, need to arrive for 7am.

I often wonder how people manage all this running around if they have no transport - it must put so much extra strain on them and their families. My own appointments involve 3 separate hospitals too.

Looking forward to next weekend when it's over and I can tick off another box.

It's a lovely sunny morning here in Sheffield, hope you all have a reasonably good day. xx 🌞🌅

donkeywoman

Yes, I ticked bad which was a bit depressing...

Woodybird

Census day......."How is your health in general?"

Feels like a difficult question....

donkeywoman

HI @grannyp sorry to hear you are feeling low. Hope the cleaning felt cathartic, rather than just hard work? I know what you mean, if I get miserable now I put it down to breast cancer (or chemo, mainly!) but then I remind myself that I used to have miserable days before too! Riding the waves seems more important than ever....

Hope the day has gone as smoothly as possible.

@Karden will think of you this week, think surgery is on Thursday?

grannyp

Great news @donkeywoman!! That feeling when you have a good day is just great. Seems like your reduced dose was definitely a good move. You shouldn’t go backwards now before your next treatment- & then you can really look forwards. Not long now!!

I am feeling a bit ‘bleugh’ today mood-wise. Not unusual for me on a gloomy Sunday morning-especially during the last year, with nowhere to go! But now any ‘down’ mood has to focus on the disease, treatment & the future rather than just being ‘one of those days’. A reminder I think of what we have to learn to live with. Off to do some desperately needed cleaning to try to push all those thoughts to the back of my mind somewhere. xx

donkeywoman

Morning all

@grannyp so glad you are feeling more like you. This has been a great struggle for me, the feeling that I'm just myself and worrying about how long it will take me to get back... But yesterday, Day 9, I had a lovely day. I think the best since the start of chemo! Plenty of time outside, scattering wildflower seeds with hubby. And sitting watching birds at the feeders. Just joyful. I even managed a small curry for tea while watching cricket. Nothing spectacular,  but it felt amazing. Tired today, but that's fine. 

Hope you get your days out, @grannyp , small treats can make a big difference,  can't they.

Hope everyone is doing okay today xx

grannyp

Morning everyone @higgi well done on getting through your final chemo session - and what a marathon you had. Sorry you aren’t feeling too good though. The effects really do build up over the course of our treatments & I think we almost forget after the last one that we still have to go through those rough days - & that they will probably be even tougher due to the accumulation of the poison and it’s effects. Hope that you are soon out of the woods. And I can confirm that as you start to come out knowing that you don’t have to go through that again does help massively.

@donkeywoman glad to hear that you are suffering less and really well done on the exercise bike. And I will definitely pass on anything of help that the physio says or advice that they give in building up our strength. Like you, my muscles feel weak at time - fine when walking etc but when I tried to do some basic ballet exercises my thighs very quickly screamed at me!! 
11 days after last chemo, I am feeling much more like myself & very relieved that I don’t have to go back for more. My relief gets a little tempered when I remember that I still have the radiotherapy to do. But I know that should be easy compared to what has already gone. Hope to be able to treat a few of the days almost as days out & get a walk somewhere different- or even maybe visit a shop or get lunch in a garden somewhere🤞I am trying to make the most of everything at the moment! 
Hope that everyone is having a reasonable weekend & good luck to anyone with treatment this coming week x

Shine13

@donkeywoman a bit to go yet finish 23rd of April 5 weeks of taxol to go.

donkeywoman

🎉 @higgi yay, that bit is over! Wow, what a cocktail... Even if it is a hard few days, it's the last ones of feeling that rubbish... I'm definitely banking on Herceptin being manageable after these last few months. And wow, a week in Tenby - wonderful. I love that town, just the views over the beach and out to sea are enough to warm the heart. And a hot tub too, brilliant, you so deserve it. And it will set you up nicely for surgery. 

@Shine13 sorry for my chemo brain, but do you finish soon too? I am hoping to stay positive after my last one (two weeks today) and deal with the side effects without getting too miserable. Knowing that there are no more to come must surely help...

Anyone doing anything nice this weekend? I'm filling out the census form! Woop woop!

Shine13

@higgi congratulations must feel great. My theory is chemo regimes are designed around what the average can tolerate. As they don t expect complete response from most. So toxicity has built up to edge of tolerance at the end, so you feel worst for a couple of weeks at the end when you just want to celebrate.  Some people are reaching limits of therapy that can be tolerated at the end for them. So hope your next couple of weeks are not to bad sounds like you have done really well with all the exercise (the 4th treatment)

So I am braced for worst weeks after I finish but hopefully will take comfort in it is the end.

They don t seem to have a bell here  I bet northern day case units  I are smaller and friendlier than London.😀

higgi

Hi everyone! Survived last toxic overload n rang that bell 🛎 

I had a mammoth load of zoledronic followed by herceptin followed by perjeta followed by docetaxel!!! Felt great yday then crashed today ... worst to date as steroids wear off ! Like having flu like symptoms all over ... hurts so much ... I know it will pass . I just hope I never have to go through this again ... I still need herceptin for a year but told it’s mini chemo 🤣

well done with the bike work donkeywoman! 
the workshop advocates 

working up to ( start Wer u r n move slowly with baby steps ) at least 150 min aerobic ex 

2-3 sessions strength work 

and lots of stretch n flexibility work . 
b kind to yourself as you can’t always exercise... choose your better days weeks and make most of those ! 

hope surgery gone well karden.. 

I will have mine week 25 April !!! 
managed book week away in Tenby 12-18 April ... can’t wait to go ..., b so good escape  I hope !! It overlooks the sea n beach n has a hot tub !!! Yes 🙌 

big hugs to u all amazing ladies !!! Xxxx

donkeywoman

Morning all,

@grannyp glad your energy is a little higher. And you are admirably philisophical about the likelihood that it will be a while. I know this, but still have an overly rosy view that suddenly, mid April, I will wake up one morning and feel back to me again! I do know this isn't the case, but can't help but dream... Hope your walks are enjoyable and you don't push yourself too hard. It will be interesting to hear what the physio says next week. I might just use your advice (if you are happy to share) as I don't think I am going to be offered anything similar.

I think my tongue is getting better from thrush. It's day 5 of Fluconazole and I was a bit concerned yesterday as it didn't look any better, whereas before a couple of days of the  medication seemed to clear it up. I guess it's not surprising, this is my 3rd time on the meds, they are not always going to be so effective.

@Karden hope all is looking okay for surgery next week, it will be good to get that done. Hope you are doing okay.

@higgi you will be proud of me! I went on the exercise bike, slowly, gently, for 25 minutes yesterday while watching cricket. I'm planning to do it every day I feel well enough, as the last few days my legs have felt ridiculously weak.I need to try to gently build up a bit more strength. I won't be competing with you, but hope to feel more positive if I am doing something other than strolling up and down our lane. 

Hope everyone is having the best day possible - anyone got treatment today? xx

grannyp

Great news about the your tumour shrinkage @Shine13 It must make going through the rest of chemo a little easier if you can see that it is doing its job. Six weeks must still seem a long time but it will soon be gone. I have admiration for you ladies doing the weekly treatment. I know it is supposed to be less harsh and more easily tolerated but I just wanted to get mine all over as quickly as possible. I wasn’t given the option of 9 weekly as opposed to 3 Paclitaxel but was just relieved that the 3 Packitaxel doses were all done in 4 weeks. As with everything on this journey we are all different - I told myself I could put up with anything if it got me to the other side more quickly!! 
@donkeywoman pleased to hear that you seem to be recovering more quickly this time. Hope you are able to get out with your animals more & feel even a little more ‘normal’ That really is good news & you can now look forward to getting the last one over & done with. You too will soon be at the other side😊 I really didn’t want to go my last session at all but am now so glad that I did. 
I will let you know how my energy and general mood/well-being goes over the next couple of weeks. I have pretty much followed the pattern of the previous two treatments so far, although I was definitely more tired for the first few days. I expect to continue to follow that pattern through to the middle of next week and then let’s see if my energy etc continues to improve. I anticipate that as a couple of weeks pass I may realise that what I thought was feeling ‘ok’ during chemo cycles was actually feeling pretty rubbish!! 
I have started to try to increase my morning walk a little further  - as long as the weather is reasonable!! - and will start to get back to gentle stretching exercises today. Gently & gradually as my consultant said!! I have my exercise assessment next Thursday & will see what the physio recommends after that. That will be 2 weeks post-chemo, so seems like a perfect time. 
Anyway the sun has returned here today so my mood is good. Hope it is the same for all of you. @Karden do continue to let us know how you are recovering from chemo & how surgery goes. @higgi  hope your final treatment went well - let us know when you are feeling up to it. And hope that everyone else is feeling as well as possible - this will all soon be a memory. xx

Shine13

@Karden  thanks I am on 12  weekly paclitaxol following EC. It is supposed to be easier than 3 weekly or doxceltaxol.

donkeywoman

@Karden I don't know how it is at Western Park, but at Chesterfield (same oncology team as you) there doesn't seem to be much going on at all! There is a Macmillan Information centre, but it has a rope across the entrance and the person sat in there doesn't look very welcoming. I would be interested in an exercise class - I did cardiac rehab after the heart attack and found it brilliant. I've never liked classes or the gym, but found this improved my confidence so much and helped me get back to living again. So I would definitely recommend it! My friend in Nottingham who had BC a few years ago, went to the classes and really liked them.Good for chatting to others in the same situation too. x

donkeywoman

Morning all

@Shine13 great news about your tumour shrinkage, makes chemo feel worthwhile... And lymph node down too, that is positive. The nail thing is weird, isn't it? Mine aren't exactly loose, but I'm really aware of them which I wouldn't normally be. I'm trying to be gentle with them, and put gloves on when I go out to the hens...

@grannyp so glad you are starting to feel better. I'm guessing it takes a while (are you finding that @Karden ?) - and then it's radiotherapy, isn't it? Just to have a life again will feel good. I'm also looking forward to feeling more like me... 

I seem to be bouncing back quite quickly this time, maybe the reduction in dose did help. I didn't think so on days 4 and 5 when I felt so miserable, but am happier now! Just need to get rid of the thrush (already on fluconazole, but it's taking longer to go this time) and calm my racing heart, and all is okay!

All the best for today to you all xx

Karden

So pleased that you're feeling better @grannyp it makes the days so much easier.

The exercise course sounds really useful, I wonder if it will be offered in Sheffield where I am? I will do a bit of research and also ask at my next visit.

Hope today is another good one for you. xx

Karden

@Shine13 it's good to hear that the vaccine works with our type of cancer treatment, very reassuring.

Your nails are a worry for you, I do hope they don't come off - what chemo have you had? I haven't had any serious problems with mine other than white horizontal lines appearing.

I'm so pleased that your tumour has halved, that's fantastic news and the remaining chemo will hopefully reduce it further. Sounds like you're doing amazingly well.🤞🤞😊😊👍👍

Shine13

@grannyp  Glad you are feeling better some respite before RXT would be good.

@donkeywoman  my nails feel sore when I touch things, they feel like they could ping off - it is strange. I paint them and have used the polycor stuff discussed way back in threads.  So fingers crossed intact at the moment.

I sore my oncologist yesterday and a positive out off all off this is I have lost 7kg since starting chemo.  Back to my late 30s weight which is great. Will prob all come back when I start the hormone treatment which won t be much fun. I have gone into menopause on chemo but seem to be not getting the usual symptoms yet.

My lymph node is back to normal size and tumour had halved so I am delighted as they did warn me with tripple positive you sometimes only get a small reduction. I am more positive about another 6 weeks of chemo as it seems to be doing something. Will be great to avoid a full axilla node clearance . Will wait and see.

Have a nice evening everyone. My oncologist says the COVID vaccine will work on us, it is the blood cancers especially lymphoma that don t get much immunity.

Xx

grannyp

Well, today feels like a good day. Much improved energy - definitely not 100% or even 70% but better, which is great. And had a call from the clinic where I am to have my radiotherapy. As part of the treatment I can sign up to a 12 week physio-led exercise course. Obviously by zoom & an app at the moment but once their gym can open in April some sessions can take place there if I want to. All individually tailored to each patient’s health, energy levels & previous physical activity etc. Zoom assessment next week & then off I go! Just the boost I need at the moment. And wouldn’t it be great if this sort of initiative could be available to everyone who wanted it. @higgi I am sure you would approve of this  x

grannyp

Evening everyone. Good to read your updates. We are all now at different stages and facing different problems but we seem to be coping and keeping our heads above water.

@donkeywoman Hope the side effects and fatigue are proving a little easier this cycle. And that's a nuisance with the fingernails. Hope that you can hang on to them. Mine have become a bit flaky and peeling but I have had that problem with them before. I have been using a nail oil and dark(-ish) nail polish but don't know if it has made any difference!

@Karden Great news that your surgery is going ahead as planned. It must have been a worry about your bp - we just get hit with one thing after another, don't we!! Not long until the surgery and you have ticked off another part of this rollercoaster. And really good to hear that you are now feeling so much better following the end of chemo.

@Shine13 Well done on continuing to work and hope the fatigue doesn't get too bad. Tiredness and fatigue definitely increased for me over the last two cycles and I can imagine that the weekly regime does become tiring.

@higgi Hope that your bloods were ok & good luck with your last chemo tomorrow. Another one of us who will have ticked this part off. I agree with @donkeywoman that your exercise regime is very impressive. I manage to walk at least once a day but couldn't begin to do anything like the amount of exercise that I used to do. I really dislike not being able to do it but do intend to start to build it back up gradually now. It will be a slow and hopefully steady progress - @donkeywoman is right that we are all different and all have to do what is right for us. Age is definitely against me and I can't imagine getting back to what I could previously did but as long as I can get back to some regular dancing and yoga I will be happy.

My tiredness has been somewhat relentless the last few days but I do feel that I have turned a corner today. Just hoping that the improvement continues. Chat with the consultant yesterday - very happy with how I have got through treatment. But - just when you think it's all over! - apparently my liver function was slightly elevated before the final chemo and she wants to do a further blood test in a couple of weeks to confirm it is coming down. She assured me that this is undoubtedly due to the Paclitaxel, that she has no concerns and that she would definitely tell me if she did. I also had a conversation with one of the senior onco nurses who said exactly the same. But it is just another worry when I thought I was moving on!

Also bombarded with appointments - along with the radiotherapy appointments, I have the blood test and a date for my first 'stand alone' Zometa infusion. Then came a date for a review with the oncologist once radiotherapy is finished - only around a week after my 6 monthly check up with the surgeon. My diary is suddenly looking very full!! And I certainly won't be able to forget what I have been going through with all these coming up.

Hoping that everyone is as well as possible x

donkeywoman

Thanks @higgi , I'll keep the varnish on and hope for the best. It's ok of there are new ones growing, I just don't want a raw nail bed (sorry if anyone eating their tea 🤢)...  Your exercise regime is impressive. I guess we are all different. A wander up and down the lane is enough for me on these early days....

Hope everyone is as okay as possible this evening x

higgi

Hi everyone! Love reading your updates !! 
I too have runny nose n eyes that water when outside !!! I often take self off .. it’s ok . 
funny ow emotional I feel now like a teenager 🤣 can cry at drop of a hat ! 
I take loads of supplements incl magnesium so glad I did despite 1st nurse saying “u won’t need that on chemo as u won’t b doing the exercise u used to “... sorry but I F.......g showed her !!!!!  🤣🙌 

got bloods later ... not feeling great yday or today so resting and hoping they ok !!!for last yes last chemo tomorrow 🛎 

don’t worry re exercising n it causing you probs later ! Research says the opposite! It energises !!!! .. obviously don’t b stupid n walking 30 min combined with some Pilates yoga is fine . U will know if u overdo cos u will feel awful after ... use that as a measure ladies . 
workshop tomorrow on 5kyourway moveagsinstcancer 4-5 

exercixing through chemo ... register it’s free . 
keep in touch xxxx

higgi

Hi @donkeywoman ... guess all u can do is wait n see ??? If they come off they will grow back no worries! 
ive had dark on all time n so far they are stronger longer than ever ! Think it’s like hair n the cold cap u need use the varnish from day 1 . Sorry I know that doesn’t help but maybe put a conditioning lotion on bail beds ??? 
😘

donkeywoman

Morning all,

Yikes, my fingernails feel really odd so I wonder if they may be working up to coming off 😨. Anyone had this? Wonder what I should do?? They are painted black (but only just, as they seemed fine before)... I just hope there are some new ones underneath. I guess I should just be gentle with them and hope they can stay on as long as possible....  I hate chemo!

Hope everyone is doing okay this morning? x

Karden

This is true @Shine13 you can please yourself and not have to take into consideration a partner's needs/ feelings but I'm glad you've got friends and family available when you need them.

I have total respect and admiration for those who have young children to care for, it must be so very difficult when you're having your bad days, not to mention juggling the many appointments with child care. 👏👏👏

Shine13

There is a plus to living alone I can please myself and don 't have to talk if I don 't feel like it. I have plenty of family and friends around when I need it. Peace and quiet is definately what we need sometimes.  How people cope with young children when you are having a bad day is beyond me.  I bet a lot partners are walking on egg shells. 😁

Xx

Karden

Hi @donkeywomanh  sorry to hear that  you're feeling tired and anti-social but hope it passes soon. I understand how you are feeling, I sometimes take myself off upstairs to read or watch TV or just to 'potter' around. Hubby has got used to it and doesn't take it personally.

I have seen the surgeon today and he is happy with my BP. He has explained what incisions he will make and all the details of the procedure. I just want to get it done now and then I can tick off another stage of my treatment.

MUGA scan tomorrow, so another trip out. 👍

donkeywoman

Evening everyone 

@Shine13 well done you for still working. I'm lucky and signed off for 6 months. I couldn't have worked at all, but then I'm a nurse team leader so it wouldn't have been possible. Sorry you are so tired, it's cumulative isn't it... I feel exhausted today, but that's usual for me , day 4 after chemo. Btw, I'm on sachets of magnesium supplements, the oncology team gave them to me. Great that you've had 2nd vaccine,  hope you've felt ok with it? It was a bit annoying,  that story about 1st jab not effective. A small sample, not yet peer reviewed etc. As if we don't have enough to worry about!.

Do hope everyone is doing okay? That @grannyp and @Karden are managing to enjoy the end of chemo, even with more treatment to come. Hope your BP stuff ok @Karden ?

And that others are coping with side effects. Early days for me this cycle, can't really tell if dose reduction has helped. If I bounce back more quickly, that will do me.

I'm feeling very anti social this evening,  hiding upstairs assent feel like chatting. Anyone else get like that?

Shine13

I had my second COVID jab this week,  good news as it seems the vaccine first does is not so good with the immune suppressed.  It seems a few are finishing chemo so hopefully your next jabs will be off chemo.  Really annoying that vaccine might not work so well as I was looking forward to meeting friends and family in person after Easter.

@Karden   We all have our individual niggles my constantly running nose drives me mad.  It is worse than the diarrhoea because thankfully that is not constant and only once or twice a day. Well at living in London you never bump into anyone you know so I am quite relaxed going out.  At least in Winter you can wear hats and don ‘t look any different. I am convinced with a bit of eyebrow pencil no-one is the wiser.

@donkeywoman  I do Epson salt baths as you are supposed to absorb magnesium through the skin, but you should prob listen to medical advice.  A soak in the bath is prob a bit hit and miss if your magnesium is low.

I ll look forward to hearing how everyone is doing off chemo I want to get a feel of how long it takes to get back to normal.  I am defiantly getting more tired on weekly Taxol and unfortunately still 6 weeks left. I am very good at exercise and yoga etc as it makes me feel much better but I do worry if I am nor resting enough will I be storing problems for later.  I hear the fatigue can last a while with some people after treatment is over.

Am still trying to judge when to go off sick so I get paid for most of it am doing reduced hours that is manageable. Brain is like porridge some days.

I think I’ll need a couple of weeks off for a lumpectomy and axilla – what is the experience of those who have already had surgery?

Hope everyone has a good week, things are moving on.

xx

Karden

Hi @donkeywoman I've no history of high bp but like you, I have only to think of having it checked or feel that band tightening around my arm before I feel anxious, I definitely suffer from white coat syndrome.

I have been taking it myself twice per day using a home monitor and it has been lower. The nurse at my local surgery has scanned the readings into my notes so I will wait and see what the GP says and also my surgeon.

I have days when I feel very anti social and I've found that I don't want to go on walks where you constantly meet people coming towards you and you have to decide whether to say hello or not. I sometimes just want to operate in my own little world where no one notices if I look a bit unwell or wonders if I'm wearing a wig ( maybe they don't but I feel as though they are).

I have dry eyes at the moment and they start watering as soon as I go out in the cold; it looks as though I'm crying and makes me feel self conscious.

I'm sure these will all be resolved in time but you realise that there are lots of inconveniences to deal with that you never experienced before this cancer entered your world. x

donkeywoman

Hi Everyone, 

@grannyp hope the fatigue isn't too painful and as you say, it should go and then hopefully stay away this time! My Hb was the same, still 92, so that is okay, as long as it's not going down. My magnesium is still low so I've got the sachets to take again this cycle. They aren't too bad, a slightly strange peachy taste... I'm so looking forward to stopping all this endless medication and going back mainly to my regular ones (plus the hormone one I will be starting). I get in such a muddle with them!

@Karden It's lovely to think of you getting some energy back, not having side effects from Herceptin infusion and perhaps most of all, drinking tea! It's a bit of a pain, your BP - do you have a history of raised BP? I do and also have terrible white coat syndrome (where it goes up as soon as it's taken anywhere else other than at home). Mine was high at pre-op, but they weren't too worried. Guess you just wait to speak with GP. Yes, I've just had the penultimate treatment. Feeling very tired today, but not too bad really. I only went outside for a brief walk - partly because I feel really anti-social and not like communicating with anyone. But I've got some cards and parcels sorted indooors, and been pottering about and  up and down the stairs. I've decided not to push myself much these first few days, I don't think it helps me. Last dose of steroids this evening, but I don't feel they have given me much of a lift this time, so am hoping there won't be much of a crash!

All the best for the rest of the weekend, all. @Woodybird hope your teeth seeem okay xx

Karden

@grannyp I'm pleased to hear that you have finished your chemo and hope the fatigue will soon improve. It's 30 days since my last chemo and my energy levels are still lower than before but on the whole I am feeling so much better. I am eating well and more importantly I am drinking tea again - wonderful!

I had Herceptin by IV 9 days ago and it has been lovely not to have had any side-effects kicking in at all.

My hair hasn't started growing yet but I'm hoping to see a difference soon.

@donkeywoman I think you have one more cycle to go, is this right? Nearly at the end now and you should start feeling better soon after.

@Woodybird It's good news that you have no dental infection and hope it stays that way and also hope your breathlessness will start to improve soon.

I get breathless more easily than before. My blood pressure was high when I went for my pre-op assessment and ECG and was referred to my GP for more bp tests (still high) and bloods.

My GP will be calling me on Monday morning so I'll wait and see what's said, I just don't want anything to delay the lumpectomy which is less than 2 weeks away. 

I'm seeing the surgeon on Monday afternoon and have a MUGA scan on my heart on Tuesday morning so should find out if all is well. 🤞🤞🤞

I know the weather is mixed here in Sheffield but hope you're all having a reasonably good weekend.

Best wishes to all. xx

grannyp

Hi everyone. @Woodybird good that you have managed go see the dentist and fingers crossed you don't have to have a wisdom tooth removed. Pleased to hear that treatment went well and hope today's crash isn't too severe. The extra steroids will hopefully ease the crash but let's just hope that they don't just delay the whole thing. How many more treatments do you have to go now? I may have asked before but my chemo brain doesn't allow me to remember much at the moment.

@donkeywoman That was good news that you got your dose reduced. Hopefully that will mean that you feel a bit brighter over the next week or so. And it does really help to know that our concerns are being listened to. How was the old Hb count? Any improvement? Mine had crept up a bit higher again this time - still not back to where I started but an improvement. And, yes, my busy day on Thursday was pretty much steroid-fuelled. With Paclitaxel I was given a pretty large IV dose pre-treatment. No tablets to take home but the size of the one dose has led to lots of energy day 2 and a sudden crash day 3!

@dipitdee Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, hoping that these are the last rubbish days and that in a week or so I can look forward to things gradually improving and not going backwards again!

As suspected, I was very tired yesterday. More than with the previous two cycles of Paclitaxel but not unexpected as I had been very busy on Thursday and also I have noticed the increase in the fatigue each time. For the first time since I started chemo I actually went to bed in the afternoon and slept for a little while. I have had a few evenings resting in bed and a few very early nights but that was the first daytime sleep, so I suppose I have done pretty well up until now. Easy day today I think and not really expecting to see the tiredness lifting for another 4 or 5 days. Hope to be able to 

Hoping that everyone has as good a weekend as possible and that all side effects stay manageable. Exercise if you can and rest when you need to. Another week ticked off on this rollercoaster! x

Woodybird

@Pesto Hilarious 🤣 Glad you got a laugh.

@grannyp Great score on the white blood and neutrophils! That must feel good. Hope they carry you through these last tedious days, out to the other side.

I saw the dentist on Thursday. He thought I had had an infection, but it was virtually gone. Told me to keep an eye on it, as if it turns into a recurring thing, it is likely to mean wisdom tooth removal 😬

Feeling ok after number 5. Although got pretty breathless on our walk yesterday. I slept better ahead of treatment this time, so I'm hoping the crash, if it comes today, won't be as severe. Although they changed my steroids this time, so I still have some to take today and tomorrow. Don't know what that's all about, but might keep me buzzing a bit longer 🤣

Pesto

@donkeywoman   The TMS....

This will you hopefully make you all laugh.

Really just put the phone down.  MORI..  Yes MORI, never before been asked anything 

It started by do you know what an antibiotic is ?

I thought a stupid question so answered yes a pessary..  can you please spell it.. so I did.

When was the last time you took antibiotics, I said well over a year ago.  Not good enough...  have you been investigated by your GP for  a chest infection...  yes -  so where you prescribed antibiotics ...  no sent straight to hospital for...  so have you in the last 12 months  had the following infections...  urine.. yes, chest  yes throat... yes... and it continued.  I said I have answered your question and no antibiotics prescribed.

She continued....  and continued and continued....  so how many antibiotics have you been prescribed

She ended the call as I said I am waiting for the antibiotics for gangrene, she asked what was that, I said infection that could see my....  she went, call ended

I kid you not, true as true.....  I realise they have a job to do but when the first answer is no, the rest is no.  I told them the outcome of the GP visit...  terminal cancer but still she had to tick a box.

At the end I was up to 750 antibiotics for something...

Huge fun, probably very important info just was the wrong questions when one had been given.  Hubbyy was in stitches when I finished.

It was as good as being asked about car insurance and an accident.....  I told them my Bentley fell off a ferry,  off the Isle of White gave them a reg number and they hung up too.

There is still fun to be had ladies 

Big hugs

restful night.  I have a smile on my face goodness why

We might live in reality, many don't in fact millions don't.  Chin up you lovelys

Gilly

XXX

donkeywoman

Evening all, @grannyp hope today wasn't too fatigued- though your energy yesterday sounded impressive (and maybe partly steroid induced??). 

Well, that is number 5 done. It all went smoothly and I've been in bed much of the time since getting home. Managed to get up for some tea and to help put the weekly shop away, but now back to bed. I feel really tired, but suspect I may not sleep much. It's fine though, I have plenty to listen to and it's just good to be cosied up in the quiet. 

Hope everyone's Friday has been okay and the weekend has some good times x

dipitdee

@grannyp, so nice to hear you’re done... (With chemo anyway!) Sending you vibes of strength to get through what is hopefully your last set of rubbish days xxx

donkeywoman

Tutting not putting! 

donkeywoman

Thanks @grannyp and @PaulineS27 . Wow, @grannyp you've finished chemo, congratulations 🥳. Glad it was a better day, and hope your days continue to be manageable. Oh dear those poor nurses (though the manager in me is putting at them letting patients seethe trouble). At least it gave you a but of entertainment! 

I'm feeling more positive as spoke with the team today and am having a reduced dose tomorrow (the IV's, not the Herceptin). That has helped me to feel less dread and I also felt listened to...

How is everyone else doing? Hope things are going ok. @Woodybird any luck with the dentist? 

Night all x

grannyp

Evening everyone. Hope you are all doing ok. @donkeywoman, Hope that your blood tests were ok and wishing you lots of luck with your treatment tomorrow. Hope that the flight response doesn't kick in too strongly! My oncologist did tell me that most of her patients find the penultimate treatment very difficult - probably a case of 'so near but still so far'. She assured me that I would feel differently once that one was over but that didn't happen to me! I still would have got out of the last one if I could - until the day itself when I did know that it was the right thing to do to see it through to the end.

@PaulineS27 thank you for your good wishes and I hope that your treatment went well. Another one ticked off! I will continue to check in with you lovely lot on here. It will be good to see us all get to the end of this journey that we all started back in December - different regimes and different lengths of time to get through, but all with the aim of just getting through, whatever it takes.

As for me, my last treatment was easier than the previous one. My oncologist prescribed a fantastic cocktail of anti-sickness meds for my pre-med and I had no nausea or wooziness. I was able to eat a lovely lunch which I was happy about and had several cups of tea and delicious biscuits too. There was some sort of drama going on in the afternoon with the nurses who seemed to be getting upset with each other about something that had or hadn't been done or said - started off with one crying, then several heated discussions, lots of huffiness and then another one crying! It definitely helped to take my mind off the headache from the cold cap which had developed by that time!!

Have felt a bit 'demob happy' today, even though I was back at the unit for my last filgrastim injection. Thought I might have escaped it as my white blood and neutrophil counts were almost 4 times the level before I started chemo but after some discussion yesterday they decided that I should still have it. If they go up again as they have over the last 4 weeks I will be able to fight off bubonic plague, never mind the common cold! Other than that, I have been busy all day. I know from the last two treatments that tomorrow is going to be a different day, completely lacking in energy, so decided to get on with what I could today. It is a bit of a downer to remember that even though the last treatment is done I still have the next 7 to 10 days of feeling tired and still have to watch out for any side effects popping up!

And also to remind me that it is not yet all over, I had a call to confirm the dates for my radiotherapy treatments and also the planning scan. At least I now know exactly when the last part of this triathlon will commence!

Now for a good night's sleep. Sending lots of good wishes to all of you. x

PaulineS27

@donkeywoman 

Yes the flight response is strong some days that's for sure! and we have definitely needed our big girls pants haven't we 😂😂 

The weather definitely helps and often reflects our moods, sunshine lifts me no end but the rain often allows us to feel sad when needed.

Good luck with the blood tests xx

PaulineS27

@grannyp 

Sending you the biggest hug, please keep touching base with us if you can, we love seeing your updates and it helps us to know we are not alone in the journey and how we feel xx

Pesto

@Woodybird 

You poor thing, did you not explain you too are very well at the moment and could have managed to see him / her.....  Lol  These people eh ! complete whimps.  No backbone.......

Sorry you day has not gone to plan but love the positivity re a change of scenery.

Big hugs

Gilly

XXXX

Woodybird

One of those things - the dentist was ill! So my appointment was cancelled. After many calls to various people, decided it was ok to continue with treatment today. Hopefully see the dentist tomorrow if he's better. There has been a delay today getting the treatment pack up to the ward, so taking longer than expected. Decided not to continue with cold cap today - hair is so thin, struggling to cover top and back of head now with the remaining hair - so I thought it would be a quick one! Nevermind, it's a change of scenery!

Hope all going well with everyone else today x

donkeywoman

Just remembered- @Woodybird hope your trip to the dentist helped and you are okay for treatment today? And of course, hope treatment goes smoothly and your mouth not too sore xx

donkeywoman

Morning everyone, @grannyp hope your day doesn't feel too long and you can get home and rest, knowing you don't have to go back and do that bit again... Like you and @PaulineS27 I'm having a very strong flight response (think the fight is going out of me...) today. I'm only going for a blood test and weight, but it's the feeling that it is about to start again which is sitting very heavy today. It's pouring with rain, which kind of suits me and I know I just need to take a deep breath, pull on those big pants and get on with it. At least I can drive myself, so don't feel so feeble and needy... 

Hope all your days are okay and good riddance to chemo for @grannyp  xx

grannyp

Hi @PaulineS27  I am sure most of us feel like running away but we know that once started we just have to get on with it. 

I have also been having Paclitaxel for my final 3 cycles. I wasn't given the option of weekly & have also had it accelerated at 2-weekly rather than 3-weekly intervals. I have tolerated it pretty well - just the fatigue and lack of energy - but the very long treatment days have been trying. Sitting here counting down the hours until I am finished in there later today!

I agree that this forum has been a great support. Just putting into words how I have been feeling & knowing that someone will understand has helped immensely at times. I will miss you lot when I now have to move on.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment. x