333052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December chemo starter

8 REPLIES 8

Re: December chemo starter

Ah, thanks for getting in touch Wolvesgirl.

That must be a great feeling to have just one more treatment to go. Something to really celebrate. Congratulations

I do feel such a wimp being so anxious about the chemo compared to others. It made it more daunting, I think, that I hadn't come across anybody with the triple negative type; only those with the oestrogen receptive type which seems to be the most common and easiest to treat. 

Thursday will be a happy day for you. All the best and thank you for your encouraging message.

Mc xxx

Hi Mc22

Just a note to say that I was in the same boat as you - lump could not be felt, in fact it didnt show on mammo, they thought it was pre cancerous DCIS, it was only at surgery they realised there was a lump there.  Mine, too, was triple negative so I am going down the chemo and radiotherapy route.  I started in August and my last one is this coming Thursday.  Wishing you all the best for your chemo journey! 

Can I ask more thing ,Shi? Was the black nail varnish you used just ordinary or was it a special sort (I read somewhere it should be water based or acetate free for instance)? As I don't ever wear nail varnish I know nothing about different kinds. I will need to get some today. Thank you for all your tips.

Mc xx

Hi Shi,

Thank you for the info. I am new to forums but hopefully will be able to get onto the December starters site. 

Mc

Hi,

I am 7 weeks post op (lumpectomy) and also triple negative, hence the  chemo as 'insurance' to reduce the chances of it coming back, but all very positive that there was no spread to the lymph nodes and the tumour was so small it could not even be felt by the doctor. It showed up on my 3 yearly mammogram.. Just wasn't expecting to have chemo so quite a shock. It is because there are no drug therapies they can use with this type. This is the first time I have ever used a forum but hoping it will help.

All the best to you with everything. 

Mc

Thanks for that chi, 

I'll get on that other group.  Thanks for all the tips too.xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there is already a starting Chemo December 2019 thread that cc Mai7 has started, please join up with everyone on there 👭👭you can get through together then ❤️ Few quick tip. Get thermometer to keep track of your temperature, get senokot or movicol and anosol, sorry to go straight in with this but steroids can block your botty up. Drink at least 2l of water a day, keeps things flushing through. I kept a 3 weekly chart of my temps an wrote times I’d taken antisickness meds, you can get chemo brain, so found that helped. You should get a rapid response card, use it, anything that doesn’t feel right even with no temperature, like burning wee (uti) or cold or anything ring them, it’s not like usual where you just have paracetamol or a bit of cranberry juice, it will need immediate antibiotics to keep you safe ❤️ You should get wig voucher, but check out your Macmillan units, they have preloved wigs for a donation and also luvyababes do some fantastic ones too now not just fancy dress ones. You hair doesn’t start shedding till around day 14. If you have long hair, please consider donating to little princess tryst, they make wigs for kids ❤️ Tryst your teams and take it one treatment at a time ❤️ If your antisickness meds don’t work, tell your team they will tweek till they get right combination for you ❤️ Ladies have used antisickness travel bands and had success and also I used black nail varnish throughout and kept my finger nails all ok. A few of my toe nails took as pasting but kept my fingernails ok. Also get your look good feel better sessions booked at your local Macmillan too ❤️ You get a goody bag of makeup an afternoon or morning with a makeup artist showing you how to apply make up and it’ll be with others going through or living with cancer ❤️Hope this helps, just take it one step at a time, get on the other thread and hang in 💪👭💪👭❤️ Everyone is here to help if we can, there is the ask the nurse and the someone like me options too. 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi,

I'm in the same boat! Seeing my oncologist for the first time on 2nd Dec and have been told I'll likely be starting chemo on Tues 9th.  I'll be following this thread closely for any advice 😊.

I had metaplastic triple neg BC was cut out with clear margins (thankfully) 2 weeks ago, so now chemo a radiotherapy to hopefully prevent recurrence.

It's such a scary situation isn't it? But we'll get through it, happy to be here to compare notes.xx 

Are you chemo pre op or post op?

December chemo starter

Very nervous about starting chemo Monday (2nd December) and panicking a bit now, and feeling very unprepared. Just been reading about nail care and the benefits of wearing black nail varnish during chemo to prevent nail damage and discolouring. Not sure whether this is a myth or not and whether it has to be ordinary nail varnish or a special sort. I never wear nail varnish normally. One thing I read said it had to be water based and acetone free. Too late to ask the breast nurse now as there is nobody available at weekends. Has anybody else heard about this? I am so unprepared I haven't even bought any headscarves or anything. Just dreading Monday.

Mc