72.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Implausible

Re: February starters 2019 - yes, we rule!

Sonia, yay!!!  Another one of us finished!  And hopefully you now have your arm back??1559802212-picsay.jpg

Here's hoping the suspected blood clot turns out to be something less serious that will clear up quickly in its own.

You ought to have your own private room up at that hospital!  They must all know you on a first name basis by now 🙂

And Edinbird, what a crappy night!!!! 😞 😞 😞  Reminds me of my boiler panic the other week but at least mine had the decency to play up and freak me out at about 9pm not 2am!!! 

Hope you managed to get back to sleep and that if you need any repairs they aren't too exorbitant 😞 

Last thing you need when your dishwasher is also playing up and you have so much else to deal with 😞

The universe picks its moments sometimes!!!

It all makes us stronger, but sometimes it would be nice to have a rest from being tested.....

All the very best of luck with your scans later.  Not sure how long they take but if one of them is the one where you have to lie still for ages, maybe you can have a lil' nap!!! 🙂

And Seaside, all the best for today too!

Where's our Rosina?  Very quiet!  Hopefully still happily making and tasting delicious soups....

Sarah x

Edinbird

2am... steroids are done so why am I up?!

Well... early to bed then husband appears at the door about 90 mins ago as the hot water cylinder is buzzing away. I’d already had my fan on as I was feeling warm so I couldn’t hear it. Turned off everything we can find except the fuse box and it’s still whirring so he’s gone back to bed grumpy and probably not sleeping and I’m now wide awake and starving!! Don’t want to go downstairs and make anything for fear of disturbing him again! I have a few Oreo bites by my bed but I don’t want anything sweet as my tastebuds are just starting to slide... could just wolf down some toast but I think I’m better off trying to sleep and hoping he’s managed to drift off. Glad we have managed to pump the creaky dishwasher full of rinse aid to keep it going if we now need a valve replacement on the heating.

Apart from being hungry I feel ok so far. My filgrastim injections are bruising me a lot this time but I just let him stick the needle in these days and get on with it. 8 to go that’s all.

Better try and sleep I have scans later, in 12 hours actually. Good luck Sar for later too in case I’m too zonked by my broken sleep which is bound to get worse I can even feel the sweats rising right now (and the boiler is 100% off so it’s 100% me!)

Well done Sonia too! I have animal pants to share too MBJ but the weather in Scotland is not suitable... will try and remember whenever the sun next shines!

Night all xxxx

sonia28

Round 6 complete 🔔🔔🔔🛎🎉🎉

didn’t end up going  the other unit, as I wanted out of there, they are querying if I have a possible blood clot in my left leg due to swelling and pain, not redness or heat so I’m think okay, but they are scanning tomorrow, then while I was at the appointment radiotherapy department rang to see if I could have my Ct scan as same time tomorrow so had to put them off till Friday. So that will make 5 trips to the hospital this week. My daughter said it’s getting you ready for radiotherapy 🤪🤪

Good luck Tomorrow Sar, I like the sound of your goodies xx 

implausible, I love your Cookie Monster pj’s they are so you 💕💕 I’m also loving the shoes, It must be lovely buying your son new clothes ( minus price tag, my youngest loves the names items ) it must be giving him a confidence boost, hopefully he’ll be able to get back to college in September. Fingers crossed on his Pizza Hut job 🍀

stargazier, lovely to hear from you. Sorry to hear you’ve been suffering with  anxiety.

im going to have a look at Toppik fibres. My consultant said false eyelashes  are fine to have as long as the practitioner is happy to do so, luckily my ladies is ( she’s a trainee nurse earning extra on the side) 

well sone on completing treatment, sorry to hear about your infection. Take care of yourself, you know where we are 💕

Sandra, lovely to hear from you, sorry Veronica is having such a tough time💕

MJB, I love the trouser and Sandals very holiday look 🛳☀️I’ve given myself 3 weeks and then will be going slimming world. I’ve got lots of weigh to shift, I’m hoping some of it is fluid so won’t be quite as bad.( I can live in hope) You can’t compare yourself to the Soldiers we all have our fight, and tackle them the only way we can 💕

Can wait to hear about your cruise 🚢 

Nettinoo, sorry to hear about your departing fuzz, like the others said it should come back very soon. As you know I have no real eyelashes left and very sparse eye brows, 

Rosina, I signed up for the link yesterday, and got lots of my friends to do the same, 

trixielady, thinking of you. It must be hard to get your head round, but it’s whats  best for you. One of the trails I was offered was possible no chemo at all, as they are not sure it’s needed on all cases now. 

Susie, thanks for your kind word the other day,  feeling slightly better now than I was, I suppose it’s all sunk in now x 

Edinbird, hope your doing okay,I know your coming into crap days, thinking of you 💕

Marilyn, hope the radiotherapy is going well, 

Deano, hope your okay 

ocean, hope your okay too

Daisydi, Monday will be here very soon. Then this stage will be behind you 😘

hope I haven’t for forgotten anyone, love to you all. 

Seaside Sar

Hi Lisa,

The theatre cap is to provide a small bit of comfort for the bald patches. The nurse who did my last treatment was suggesting I wouldn't be able to continue with the cold cap if I lost any more hair before my last session. Luckily, the ladies on here came to my rescue and suggested the theatre cap as added prorection.

As for hair loss, I have lost about half and a lot of it has come from underneath in the nape of my neck, so I will need to get it cut very short in a few weeks. On the plus side, it is starting to grow back at my temples and in the nape of my neck.

Toppik fibres sound interesting, I'll have to have a look at those.

Take care and sending you big hugs 💕

Sar xxx

Implausible

Catch up time.

Sonia, I hope all went today.  And I bet you are glad to see the back of your PICC line!
My port doesn't come out till August, but luckily it isn't too in the way.

It is lovely to see us all coming to the end of the chemo part of the journey.  I know we still have more treatment to come, for years in most cases, but the worst bit is nearly over.  Chemo sucks!!!!

And thanks for the info about the eyelashes.  Something to keep in mind if I need to look glam for anything before mine grow back....  🙂

MBJ, sorry you are feeling ropey.  Hopefully the anti sickness pills have helped.  Like you I have a ton of spare ones as I never take my Emends  on days 2 and 3, and I also have 2 full packets of the one that sounds like Dom Perignon.  You should take yours with you on the boat, I bet they help with travel sickness too....

And you can't possibly compare yourself to the D Day soldiers and find yourself wanting, you silly moo 🙂  slightly different situation! 🙂  There is always someone worse off or braver than all of us.... but that doesn't make your own suffering or fears any less.  Personally I think you have shown incredible bravery!  You went through terrible side effects and trauma with your first chemo and then had the guts to say "enough!".

And the elephant trousers are funky and look super comfy.  Closest I've got to those is my cookie monster jama bottoms 😄

20190605_183006-picsay.jpg

Probably couldn't really get away with wearing those wandering around on a cruise ship? 🙂

Sorry Debi I'm on a different regime to yours too, but their suggestion of doing the different drugs on different days to start with sounds sensible.  So if there is a reaction they can narrow it down to what bit caused it....

Best of luck, hope all goes well on Tuesday and Wednesday!  And before you know it you will be on round 6 and finishing up like a lot of us are this month 🙂

Ha! Nettie!  I'll join the Trump punching queue with you! 
I bought one of those pink "pussy hats" well over a year ago so I could join the protest at his state visit, then he had to blooming arrive on my chemo day when I was a bit busy!

FB_IMG_1559757995845-picsay.jpg

Weirdly I used to like him - or at least find him funny - when he used to host the American version of the Apprentice.  But he wasn't leader of the free world and endangering all of us at that point....

Stargazer!!! So good to hear from you!!
Sorry to hear you are struggling with anxiety.  It can hit us at any time.  I hope you are getting some help with that?  My son dropped out of college earlier this year, my diagnosis I think was the final straw but even before then he was having terrible trouble with anxiety, crying and begging not to have to go every morning.  He is keen to rejoin this September but we were worried the same problems would still be there so I've been paying for him to have twice weekly counselling.  Not cheap but manageable (£90 a month), but the difference in his self confidence is amazing.  I am sure he will be able to cope so much better this time around. 

I hope your infected hand clears up quickly too, sounds nasty 😞
And thank you I feel fine today, the side effects usually kick in for me on Friday and last till Tuesday ish.  At least as this is my 3rd T I know what to expect.  It is horrid but I know I can ride it out.  And it is the last time!! Yay!!!

Hey Seaside  🙂  another one finishing this week, hooray!!!!  Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.  Glad you got the stuff to enable you to keep cold capping.  Let us know how you get on 🙂

Sandra you are very kind but I look blinking awful in those photos from the hospital 😄  but despite that I still like them because I look happy and it was a momentous occasion.  I've hated every second of chemo and I'm so glad to see the back of it 🙂

As for next steps, I'm much more relaxed about those.  I have 4 weeks of rads mon-fri throughout July.  I'm really pleased it is only weekdays as I originally thought it was every single day without let up.  I'm so glad I'll have time to rest up at the weekends.

Then 3 weeks after rads end I have surgery to remove my port and "even up" my left boob so it matches my new post- lumpectomy right boob, which is much smaller and higher up:)  I am hugely and very noticeably mismatched at the moment and it draws some odd looks!

Then I have to have 2 teeth out and then I can start 6 monthly infusions of "zoledronic acid"? For 3 years.  That is supposed to help prevent osteoporosis and also stop cancer spreading into my bones?

And finally I'll have hormone treatment for 10 years.  They took more bloods from me yesterday to test if I am ore or post menopausal (had hysterectomy 2.5 years ago which obviously stopped my periods so I can't tell!).  I get results from that tomorrow.  Am hoping I am post menopausal as I would rather have Letrazole than Tamoxifen.  We will see....

Sounds like a lot, but it's all better than Barrying chemo 😄

I hope that both yourself and V start to feel better soon  x

I've actually had a really nice (if expensive) day today.  Have been shopping with my son at the local outlet village.  He has lost a ton of weight (7 stone!) and desperately needed new clothes.  It has been a delight to see him taking things he thought would fit into changing rooms all afternoon and coming out having to swap them for items 1 or 2 sizes smaller 🙂  I usually have the opposite problem!! 😄

He now has a whole new set of gear that fits him perfectly and he looks amazing!  But boy does the child love his labels!  All Tommy Hilfiger and Levis and Ralph Lauren!  Even at outlet reduced prices it still made my wallet weep 🙂 

I also couldn't resist a little "post chemo" treat for myself 🙂  new trainers..... only £30 though.  A tenth of what the boy cost me!
20190605_181702-picsay.jpg

He is waiting on a call back tomorrow for the job he interviewed for at Pizza Hut on Tuesday.  Fingers crossed he gets it and then next time he needs new clothes he can buy his own 🙂

Now I'm going to slump on the sofa for a while, watch some telly and forget about my poor depleted bank account 🙂

Hope everyone I haven't mentioned is ok x

Love to all

Sarah x

Stargazer1

Thank you Sar 

How is the cold cap going? What is the theatre cap for? I used the cold cap throughout my treatment & although I have lost a great deal of hair & have noticeable (to me) bald patches my family & friends say they are not visible to them . I’ve been using Toppik fibres from Boots to fill in the gaps. 

Fabulous that it is your last one tomorrow 

Good luck 😉 💕

Lisa xxx 

sandraindurham

UAUAUAUU CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU!

OK, Implausible, oh champion my champion! You did it! And, honey, you look so lovely in that photo, I just wanted to hug you and say how happy I am for you!

Congrats, a thousand bells ringing!

Nettienoo, I do not know if it is my pre-menopause, if it is the tiredness, bu I am 'shizzling' all the time, especially with TV that smug faces there. Regarding the hair, it is normal to have that 'fuzz' and falls down again. In a couple of weeks it will start a new growth, you will see.

Debi2, welcome, things are tough, but as you can see by this really brave bunch, there is a silver lining out there.

MBJ, you look so lovely! How are you doing? great trousers and sandals!

Trixielady.... what can I say, my love... you know that Veronica could only cope with 3 and still is as been unable to walk straight, her intestines, stomach, blood pressure, kidneys, heart, brain... it's all shot, really. I have been talking directly with researchers from labs and universities, and, honey, it all boils down to luck, there is still no explanation or justification for what comes out in the future. I really want to meet you as soon as you feel up to it, we could meet up at Vennels cafe in the city centre, it is sheltered and have a nice assortment of coffees and teas, message me when you want.

Sonia28, my feelings regarding BC is beyond up yours I hate it, I hate it so much!

Susie B, how are you?

Edinbird, I know how you are, my love, we have been speaking on Linked In, I am so keeping my fingers crossed you will feel better soon!

Seaside, what are the next steps?

Rosina, and how are you doing?

And for everyone else, what will be your next steps after this nightmare?

LOVE YOU ALL!

Nettienoo

Hi Debi2, I’m on a different regime to you but hopefully someone on the forum is on similar to you. They are a very friendly bunch. 😊 xx

Seaside Sar

Hi everyone,

This is the first chance I've had to check in with you ladies today. Just finished reading your posts.

Love the photos from yesterday, Sarah! Hopefully you're still roided up today and feeling as good as you can.

Well done, Sonia for being the next one to finish. How are you feeling? Lovely Snapchat pic by the way.

MBJ, your trousers look fab. Must get myself a pair. Sorry to hear you've been feeling rough. Hope you feel better in time for the cruise. And no, you are not a coward! You've been/are going through tough times so you're totally entitled to feel worried.

Daisy, you're right, I am due my last chemo tomorrow. Hurrah! However, I will still be visiting the unit regularly for blood tests and my first 3 Herceptin injections apparently. So much for them coming to my house. I guess it's easier on resources if I go to the hospital but it's disappointing for me nonetheless. So home injections should start in August.

Debi, I had the separate appointments for Docetaxel and Herceptin. They did the Herceptin first and it was absolutely fine, as in, I didn't have a reaction to it. Then the next day I had Docetaxel with the cold cap. So it was tiring but not awful. Then the 2nd lot was done on the same day. Again, straightforward enough, other than having to wait for the pharmacy to issue my drugs. But that doesn't happen to everyone thankfully. Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

Hi Stargazer1, lovely to hear from you. So sorry to hear what happened, that's awful! I saw this happen to a man when I was having my chemo and he was in a lot of pain. So sorry to hear you're suffering with anxiety too. That's so difficult to deal with but particularly when you're going through all this treatment. Do pop in again and let us know how things are going.

Nettie, you did make me laugh with your comment about Mr Trump. What is it about that man that brings out the worst in us? No comment!

Right, I'm off to check my hospital bag. I have my paper theatre cap ready (sent by Mrs Paxman herself, who also sent me some unscented complimentary shampoo and conditioner) so no one is stopping me from using that cold cap.

Will probably post tomorrow from the unit as I'm sure I'll be there a while!

Hope all the rest of you lovely ladies are OK.

Love you all loads.

Sar xxx

Stargazer1

Fab news Sarah that you have finished chemo too. I hope you are feeling okay today xx

Stargazer1

Hi Susie B

thankyou for your kind thoughts.

I pop on here now and again to see how everyone’s doing but because I’ve been suffering from anxiety I find it easier to try and take myself away from the situation. I’ve never suffered from anxiety even when I had 3 children under the age of 3 and then years later a seriously ill grand daughter, I guess this BC brings out different emotions in all of us.  

Sonia... I too lost my eyelashes right st the end after my last chemo. I was wondering if it’s ok to have false ones put on?

Nettienoo.. I’m sorry to hear your chemo got postponed at the last minute, enjoy your extra ‘good’ week and good luck for your last one.

Trixielady.... hope you are ok?

Love & hugs to everyone else.

Ive now finished my treatment as I cannot have radiotherapy. The T has left me with an infection in my hand which the hosp says can happen, yet another course of antibiotics, hopefully it will go soon, what with that & the extravation I suffered my poor hand is a mess. The nurse drew a line around the infection it started off a bit heart like & then became this.......photo attached  😂😂  I haven’t started my Letrozole yet but am having monthly  Zoladex injections, 6 monthly infusions of Zometa, daily calcium tablets & monthly liquid vitamin d which my daughter said looks like a shot  😂 phew!!  & to think I never liked taking tablets!  

Aw photo won’t upload, says it’s too big? Let’s just say it was a very symbolic shape!

Good luck to everyone having treatment or recovering 💕

Lisa

daisydi

Nettie I think SeasideSar is next to finish ?tomorrow.  My last one is on Monday.  Dreading it but  cant wait to finish ..

Nettienoo

Sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well Marie. I’m sure your holiday will do you the world of good and you look fab in the elephant trousers. The sandals are perfect with them too. 

Implausible Sarah, “shizzle” is a word I use a lot myself and there is a lot of shizzle going on at the moment. I am normally such a kind, gentle, non violent type of person but there is something about Trump’s face that makes me want to punch it! That’s bad I know but I just can’t stand the man.  I’m pretty sure the Queen must feel the same too.  😂.

Suzie, we need to see some pics of your print trousers too. 

Sonia are you done and dusted for today?

Marlyn, how are the rads going this week? 

Who is the next one to finish chemo? Xx

Debi2

Hi

I am from the April starters group, i pop on here to look for info and advice ( and to be nosey! ).  MBJ where did you get the trousers from?  They look really nice. 

I will be having my first lot of docetaxil on Tuesday and have Herceptin and Pertuzumab on Wednesday so i am a bit nervous, i had got used to the side effects of EC.  Apparently because its my first dose of each it has to be done two separate days in case i have a reaction, the next lot after can then be done on the same day. Has anyone in this group had theirs like this?

Thanks

Debi

Susie B

Hi MJB

Guilty as charged. It was me. I've got several pairs in different colours and designs. I agree, they are soooooooo comfy that's why I've ended up with so many pairs. Your's are great 🐘🐘🐘🐘

Susie xx   

MBJ

Hi Again

I remember someone saying they loved elephant print trousers, here are mine. So comfy.IMG_20190605_154126.jpg

MBJ

Good Morning Ladies

Lots going on as usual on this thread.

Sarah (Implausible) well done on completing your chemo what a great party 🍾🎊🎉🎺🎷🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔. Few bells there for you. I am really proud to know you Sarah a real trouper. 

Trixielady please don't be like me and beat yourself up about having chemo stopped, at least you got 4 under your belt, three more than me. Our bodies will only take so much and some of us seem to be more affected by side effects than others. Although please everyone don't think I am minimising what you have all been through and are still putting up with. But the risks and benefits have to be weighed up as I know only too well.

I have had a tough few days, feeling sick and a bit giddy. I was really worried that it was sideffects of the Letrozole but my GP thought this unlikely as I have been on them now for 2 1/2 months. She prescribed me some antiemetics (did not tell her but could probably have sold her a few from the chemo unit). Feeling more myself today and am going to go to Slimming World not to see if I have  lost weight but for my mental well being. I will see the girls I volunteer with and we will have a laugh. Hopefully do Rock Choir tomorrow too and sing on Sunday in Llanelli Race for Life 

Been watching the D-DAY celebration from Portsmouth, the veterans were so brave and make me feel like a coward. I they can land on those beaches not knowing if they would survive then I can face my fears too.

Been worried I would spoil our holiday next week if I still felt sick not the best way to sail the Bristol Channel. But another week yet so hope now I will be ready to set sail.

Good luck to all facing more chemo and Rads this week. Love you all xxxx

Implausible

Oh and good luck for today Sonia!!

Implausible

Nettie, I've read a few people saying that the first "fuzzy" regrowth tends to come back out, but then the next regrowth is more "normal looking" and that's the one that sticks.  So hopefully that will soon come through for you.

Thanks for the petition link Rosina.  Sadly there have been a ton of similar ones set up overnight and it is spreading the voice too thinly.  They need one central one like the remain petition that 6 million signed (and the Govt still ignored!  Like somehow they chose to interpret the swing to Remain supporting parties as the people saying they hadn't delivered Brexit quickly enough.  You can't make this shizzle up!)

Nettienoo

Rosina, I’ve signed. Was it you who said about a refund for Carmen tickets? I’m on it. 😘

Sarah, loving the last chemo photos. I wish I was nearer so I could come and give you a big congratulatory hug. I’m keeping everything crossed you stay well this time. 

Sonia, I’m thinking of you today sweetie. Love the Snapchat photo! 😂

Trixie, please don’t be a stranger. You are one of the gang always.x

I think there is lots of other things I wanted to say but mind gone blank for now.....

Im still feeling a bit ropey and something strange has happened. My hair had started to grow back. Had a lovely fuzz going on. Woke up this morning and it was all on my pillow!!!! I suppose it’s just the accumulation of 4 FEC suddenly took affect. Weird though. Ps Haven’t dares check out the eyelashes yet as have a feeling the last few may have departed. Xx

Susie B

Thanks for the link Rosina,  I've signed it. xx

sonia28

Using snap chat this is what I think to BCUsing snap chat this is what I think to BC

Susie B

Good news for you Sonia that chemo is going ahead tomorrow and that you can still use the PICC line.

Bet you'll be glad when it's out and you can have a shower without having tothink about putting a waterproof cover on. I'm stuck with my Klingon for a while yet☹.

daisydi

Good luck for tomorrow Sonia.  xx

sonia28

Sarah, I just remembered you asked about my eyelashes. I pay a lady £25 to stick them all on, they are very soft ones fee like real ones. And they last a few weeks xx 

Rosina

Big Pharma must be kept out of the NHS

Ladies, I have signed and I am sharing this petition.

The NHS must not be a part of any trade agreement with the US.

This is serious.

Sign and share far and wide.

I repeat THIS NEEDS EVERYONES ATTENTION.

NOT A LAUGHING MATTER.

✌️

sonia28

I was told by a nurse last time that there is a bell not on the ward, in the mustard tree unit. 

Fabulous new Sarah, my bloods are good so I’m good to go tomorrow, and then my Picc line comes out too 🎉🎉🎉, she was so careful doing my line today and said don’t cough as it may come out when the dressing was off🤪 couldn’t get bloods out the Picc line but can flush so can  can use it tomorrow and they got blood out first time from cannula 😱

We are doing this ladies xx love you all 💕

Susie B

Happy faces all around😊😀😃. Well done Implausible. 

I don't think our unit has a bell either Rosina,  unless I've missed something.  

Rosina

Implausible how lovely of you;

“I left them the "last chemo" bunting (as hopefully I will never need it again!) and the yay balloon, in case another patient wants to use them one day.”

I haven’t even spotted a bell at my place. Anywhere ☹️

Don’t think that bashing an alarm or pulling the alarm toggle in the loo would be appreciated 🤪

Implausible

@daisydi wrote:

Well done Sarah.  You look very happy!

There was cake!!!

daisydi

Well done Sarah.  You look very happy!

Implausible

Hi Ever'body 🙂

Edinbird.... if your street hasn't blown up yet from a 25 year old problem, then I reckon you are probably safe for another day or two 😄  it is like when I got a recall letter for my tumble dryer that I've used every day for 8 years with no issues.  The letter said I mustn't use it until they came out to fix it as it could spontaneously burst into flames!  I took my chances 😄

And Rosina, that soup looks yum!  Glad your taste buds are on the mend 🙂

As some of you have spotted on the Facebooks already, my last chemo went well and we had our little partayyyy 🙂

I look so fat and bald!!!!  But I decided that the moment needed marking publicly nevertheless.  

The close up photo is going on my fridge 😄  not only am I huge but I am pulling the oddest face!

received_379811482671151-picsay.jpeg

received_607156003027443-picsay.jpeg

Annoyingly after 5 sessions with the same 2 nurses , a third one was there today, but I had only taken presents in for 2.  Never mind, I've never met her before, I doubt she was expecting a gift 🙂

As for the party, it was all our own doing (myself and the other Sarah) as we were both finishing today.  And more importantly, we had checked that no other patient was going to be there today.  We wouldn't have felt comfortable celebrating too ostentatiously if there was someone there on only their first or second chemo.  Would be a little gauche!

I also wouldn't have bothered if it was just me.  But the two of us geed each other on a bit 😄

She brought along the bell (the unit itself doesn't have one) and doughnuts.  I took all the decorations and some cupcakes 🙂  The nurses seemed surprised so I don't think it happens often:)  but they enjoyed it (and the cakes) 🙂  I left them the "last chemo" bunting (as hopefully I will never need it again!) and the yay balloon, in case another patient wants to use them one day.

It was a really fun atmosphere.  We enjoyed it 🙂

Now I'm just priming myself to get through the upcoming last naff weekend and hopefully avoid another trip to hospital/prison 🙂 

Fingers crossed eh!  In the meantime I shall enjoy my last day and a half of 'roid energy 🙂

Sarah x

Rosina

Hello I think I have discovered soup heaven ( or may be my taste buds are slowly awakening 🤪).

Just cookedJust cooked

Spiced carrot and lentil recipeSpiced carrot and lentil recipe

It’s a spicy carrot and red lentil soup ( easy to make too) . I chose to do it as I had all the ingredients ( bar the cream which I would have left out anyway) so no supermarket traipsing 👍👍👍

Susie B

Morning everyone 

Hope all goes well today Sarah. Enjoy your little celebration🎉🎉🎉🎊. I don't think that happens here, but it is only a small unit. And Sarah, who can forget Blake's 7? 

Edinbird, I know every hospital or in my case each radiogragher is different  but I was told at my final scan that Gremlin had shrunk. When I asked about the size she told me. I wasn't told anything at my second scan. No harm in asking and I'm sure if you have felt it soften then something will have happened to it. Getting the results and discussing the treatment plan is stressful, but like with everything else you will get through it!    

Trixielady, I know it's difficult but try not to stress too much about only having 4 rounds of chemo. Reading through my ROSCO trial notes in some cases only 4 rounds are necessary but some  medics still give 6 because that's conventional.  You're still having Herceptin and that's considered a real game changer, and then tamoxifen so your body will still be getting help.  

Must go now. I've got an oven to clean☹. 

Have the best day you can everyone. I know some of you aren't feeling 100% at the moment xxx   

daisydi

Good luck for today Sarahxx

Glad you are feeling better Rosina. Edinbird hope you are ok

Trixielady sorry they have had to stop chemo but you have had a fair wack and it should have done its job by now.  A friend of mine only had 3 TC as she got neuropathy and wouldnt have been able to do her job, she is an ultrasonographer. I think it is fairly common to stop early.  We just have to believe they know what they are doing.

Love to everyone else xxxx

Edinbird

Good luck Sarah!! 💪🏻🥳

Sat in bed after sweaty old night. Need to get up for food drink and pills but there are men coming!!! There’s been concerns over how the pipes from the gas meters on our estate were installed about 25 years ago and the MP has pushed for checks to be done. Have arranged for 9.30 so husband is here to deal with them. They’ll see me if I go downstairs so hiding away in bed until they’ve been.

Didn’t do anything yesterday so I’m super scummy!! Ah they’re here early yay! So I’ll be able to get going soon. I’m sure I’ll feel better after a wash and something to eat and drink.

Trixie I’m sorry you’re so stressed at stopping early. You guys at least know yours is mop up - mine is first line of defence! Two more days then I see if my scans can give an early indication of shrinkage but I guess I don’t know until it’s actually removed. Trying not to stress about what surgery I’ll need that’s another week to wait. Best sort myself out now. Doesn’t sound like we have any big problems from what I overheard from here so don’t have to worry about the house blowing up!

Seaside Sar

Good luck for today, Sarah. 🍰🎉🎈

Post some pics of the end of chemo party. Love it!

I think mine will be more low key. Have only seen 3 people ring the bell and all of them literally ran out of the unit straight afterwards. Other than that, you'd never have known it was their last session.

Glad you're feeling more upbeat. Go get this last lot of weird stuff and imagine us all cheering you on.

Go Sarah!

Implausible

Yay Rosina I'm glad you are feeling better today!

The bunting just came with letter stickers so you can personalise it however you like....

Rosina

Morning Ladies,

I have woken up to a better self (no aches 🤗) and feeling more upbeat.

Implausible, Good Luck with final chemotherapy today. I didn’t know you could get party themed ‘last chemo’ decorations 😀 just thinking about you and your friend enjoying your last session in full party style has made me smile. Photos please ( if you can).

Trixielady , do keep letting us know how you are getting on.

Netttie, my Mum thinks you should be able to get a refund on your ticket to see Carmen at the Royal Opera House . Worth calling them ( or whoever you purchased your tickets through) , Implausible also has good suggestions. My bc nurse said that the body recovers during chemotherapy by a healthy diet, plenty of rest and good quality sleep. I was also irritated by my delays , the only day I haven’t been out for a walk was yesterday- so I don’t know if I overdid it and should have rested more. On the other hand I read somewhere that actually the 3 week cycle is a compromise between allowing for the body to recover and getting through treatment at a timely pace so that people are back at work within 6 months rather than a year.

Right shower next,

Have a good day everyone.

Love , 

Rosina

Implausible

Still wide awake - go steroids!

Trixielady, I can understand why you are anxious as the decision has been made for you and it seems scary to stop early.  But please try not to worry too much.  You were very close to the end of your chemo regime , and the fact that it was so aggressive on your healthy cells (hence you have suffered so 😞  ) would strongly imply that it has done a real number on any rogue cancerous cells too.  So I am sure you are safe to finish up, your doc knows best.  Try to relax and enjoy the fact that you don't have to go through any more of those horrid chemo side effects x

And please don't be a stranger forever, we care about you and will be wondering how you are getting on x just an occasional catch up if you can?

Hope you start to feel lots more human very soon

Trixielady

Evening Ladies 

I've had chemo stopped because apparently its doing more harm than good only had 2 left but feeling totally gutted, especially because they changed my  3xT to paclitaxel and my body couldn't even handle that one on a weekly dos,  I'm scared stiff but happy I don't have to put up with the stuff anymore!!

Two weeks rest then continuing 3 weekly with herceptin injections and then hopefully onto tamoxifen for ten years well that puts me at 60 so unwards and upwards xx

Sorry Nettienoo yours has been delayed a week xx

Implausible hope all goes well tomorrow xx 

So ladies really can't get my head around things lately, so i might not be on for awhile

Take care as you all continue on the next part of your journey xxx

Implausible

Oh and I'm super upset about Paul Darrow passing today because I used to be flipping **obsessed** with Blake's 7!!

Such a giant nerd! I can't help it 🙂

Rest in peace Kerr Avon, you magnificent b@st@rd 

Implausible

Oh blimeyI'm so behind.  This is going to be a long one!

Sorry I've been mainly AWOL.  Was just going through a low patch.

Feeling better now (probably because I am back on my beloved 'roids!) , so it is time for me to catch up...

Nettie.... glad that your daughter is recovering well, and how weird you dreamt of Peggy! 

But I am so annoyed and upset for you about your last minute delay today 😞 😞 😞 how freaking annoying!!!!  I wonder if the chap at the hospital only looked at the neutrophil number and not the WBC?  😞  where exactly in your cycle would the Carmen gig fall after #6?  Is it a total no no?  Or in your low immunity weekend so you will prob feel ok but you shouldn't really? (Like I was when I went up to Leicester).   I'm wondering if you could get away with it by gathering yourself up well with antibac gel and maybe wrapping a nice silk scarf around your mouth if anyone sat near you is sniffling??

Marlyn.... the thing your onco said about the possibility of chemo side effects becoming permanent was one of the things I couldn't get out of my head yesterday!  It was my "good weekend" yet still I felt - still feel utterly exhausted.  On FEC by my good weekend I felt completely normal, so that reassured me that I would perk back up to my old self pretty soon after chemo ended.  But with T I genuinely wonder if I will still be permanently shattered in months or even years to come!  I asked a friend who had chemo about 4 years ago and she didn't help at all by saying that she doesn't think you ever feel like your old self again.  I spent most of yesterday crying like a colander under the tap!!!!

But then today I've been thinking of all the other cancer survivors I know who are full of energy and living their lives to the full.  I am determined that all of us will fall into that camp!!!

Ouch ouch ouch at the "basting'!!! But I'm glad that they have figured out why you were getting so sore, and that hopefully you now have a way to avoid it getting worse.

As for the "animated sympathy smile", yeah, it is horrid isn't it!  The other day in my lunch break at work I went for a long walk and ended up on the side of town where our largest competitors are based.  Tons of people leave my firm and go to work there (and vice versa to be fair), so while I was over there I, individually and separately, bumped into 3 ex colleagues.  I had to explain my situation to each of them as I was looking particularly cancery that day 🙂  so I got three separate lots of intense pity.  I was blinking exhausted from it by the time I got back to my desk!

Seaside.... gorgeous photos from Norfolk, including yummy brekkie 🙂
As for putting on weight, don't worry, compared to me you are still tiny!  My first step on the scales since last chemo yesterday morning was another thing that set off my little breakdown!  I've put on a further 5lb making just shy of a 2 stone gain since the start of chemo 😞  that is from 13 stone 13 (a very comfortable size 14-16) to 15 stone 11 (my size 18 "fat jeans" are tight on me now 😞   ).    I'm expecting yet another telling off from the nurses tomorrow when I get weighed!   Can't wait to get back to the gym and the pool and I really need to eat better too.  Trouble is I permanently feel tired and under the weather and the only thing that makes both those things better is a bite to eat.  So I've become a total snack monster!

Eeek Edinbird, your post has reminded me that I was supposed to repaint my nails today!  Forgot!  And now I am already tucked up in bed.  Will have to set my alarm a little earlier for the morning and do it before setting off to the hospital.

I'm glad you have had a better day today.  Any more news from your dad?

And huuuuuge congrats on your last chemo!!!  I bet all those pressies went down well 🙂  there are only 2 nurses on my unit so I have got them a card between them for the big board where they put all the thank you cards, plus a bottle of prosecco and little thorntons thank you cake each.   Glad it all went so smoothly and quickly too.

Daisydi you are right to be wary of insect bites if you usually attract them and they ever get infected.  As my doc also said that that could trigger lymphodoema.  God we have to be careful of everything!!

Sonia....how do individual false lashes work?  You have to stick them on one lash at a time?  Doesn't that take all day???  I really miss my eyelashes but that sounds like way more effort than I have energy for 🙂  
So sorry to hear that you lost your mum so young and it must have been such a shock to you if you hadn't even been told she was ill! 😞 😞 😞

I read an American graphic novel yesterday about a lady who had breast cancer (it is called "The Story Of My Tits" 🙂  I didn't even know that the Americans used that word!  Anyway...in the book her mum gets it first when the main character is still quite young, and she asks her doc what she can do to minimise her own chances.  And he says don't drink much alcohol, and have kids before you are 30.  Can't remember if he specifically mentioned breastfeeding, although she did that too.  But she still ended up with BC by the age of 43.  So breastfeeding definitely isn't a definite 100 percent saviour, but it maybe still reduces the risk a little. 
It was actually quite a funny and heartwarming book despite the subject matter. 

Sorry you had a bit of a shock to the system from your onco today!  I had my pre rads meet with my onco on Friday and got the same gloomy list of potential side effects read at me.  He was at pains to assure me though that heart, lung, rib damage and secondary cancer risk are waaaay less likely nowadays than they used to be, and he wrote "very" next to rare on the sheet and underlined rare twice.  So I decided that there isn't much point worrying too much about the "very rare" stuff unless it actually happens.  The lists sure are depressing when you are sat there hearing them for the first time though!!!!

I'm also having the zolewotsit acid and 10 years of hormone treatment (not sure what yet as they haven't figured out if I am pre or post menopausal).  It really does seem never ending. Friends keep saying to me "nearly over! Yay!" Because they know I have my last chemo tomorrow.  And then I feel like a right Debbie Downer saying "not quite.... I still have a month of radiotherapy,  then more surgery, then 3 monthly drips of some acid stuff, and then 10 years of hormone tablets that will probably make me feel like **bleep**"...... 
(Don't tell my doc but if they have side effects as bad as some people seem to get, I won't be taking them for 10 years!)

Sandra , good to hear from you and sorry things are still tough 😞  but I am glad to see that by the look of things you managed to get out today, lovely photos of a gorgeous building, thanks for sharing!  I only ever went to Durham once, when I was 17/18 for an interview at the uni that has been messing you about!  (It was my second choice after Warwick, but I got into Warwick in the end), but I do remember it being a lovely looking city with lots of amazing buildings.

Rosina, this part of your post resonated with me so much!  :

" It’s hard when you have been a strong person to then become so weak.
This too shall pass."

This is exactly what is difficult for me.  I've been a strong, independent, energy-filled, hard working single mum who could and did do EVERYTHING.  And now I am weak and tired and - instead of losing my temper like you did (which I think would probably be quite liberating 🙂 ) I just collapse into tears!  Not often, but when I do it is for hours.  And I think the kids get a little scared!  As they are used to nothing phasing me, ever!

But you are so right.  This too shall pass.  Thank you for that x  and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Oh and make the roasted red pepper soup again when your taste buds recover.  I've made that one before and it is lush!

Trixielady, my eldest is also 29 and he is being a little weird about the whole thing.  He IS popping round a little more often than usual (he only lives round the corner so he just wanders in on his way to Tesco...) but he doesn't want to talk about my treatment or anything at all related to the cancer.  He goes to huuuuuge lengths to avoid the subject 🙂  so I wait till he is leaving and just give him a quick update and assure him I'm fine and he virtually runs out the door! 
And my middle son up near Liverpool is as uncommunicative as ever!  I'm lucky to get a call once a month.  But he never was a chatter.

Boys!  🙂

So sorry about your friend's news 😞 😞 😞  what is his/her prognosis?

Sorry to make it all about me me me again!  But a missed diagnosis is one of my big fears.  What if it has spread further and the docs just haven't spotted it.  They haven't done any full body scans so how would they even know?  Ugh, so many worries! Always used to be so carefree about health.  Now I think I will worry about every little pain or funny twinge forever!

Susie, "look up" is my mantra on city breaks too. 

I think that is me caught up.  Only took an hour and a half! 😄   you are all worth it though, like L'oreal models.  Well, slightly balding L'oreal models 😄

So ..... my news, briefly.
Went for bloods today, dreading it because my usual vampire was off in Nairobi selfishly having a holiday:)  but it went surprisingly well!  I drank LOADS before I went (water.  Not alcohol 🙂 ).  And the stand in doc took a while to turn up which meant my arms / hands got a good 20 minutes under the heat pad to warm up instead of the usual 5 mins tops.  I think that really helped.  The new doc got both test tubes filled on his FIRST ATTEMPT , unheard of!  From the hand everyone else had totally given up on. 
And he even said I had good veins (which had the 2 chemo nurses rolling around laughing 🙂 ), nobody has ever used those words about me before 😄

After hospital I went back to the cinema as it seemed to cheer me up yesterday.  Today I saw the comedy Booksmart.  It was really funny.  Recommended.  Probably doesn't need to be seen on the big screen but look out for it when it hits Netflix or the like....

Then I went interview clothes shopping with my 16yo as he has an interview at Pizza Hut tomorrow.  All his old smart clothes are way too big for him now as, unlike his fat mother, he has lost a ton of weight recently.

No call from the chemo unit to say my bloods aren't up to scratch so hopefully that means I'm good to go for tomorrow.  And my friend (other Sarah) is also cleared for her last one.  We are the only 2 on the unit tomorrow so we will be celebrating.  I have bought bunting (personalisable so it now says "last chemo"), a balloon that says "yay", party hats, blowy squeakers, and cupcakes 🙂   She is still cold capping so will have to balance her party hat on top:)

I really hope neither of us get turned away on the day but I know it is always a possibility like poor Nettie 😞  all my party gear will look a bit pathetic if so!

Right.  Mammoth post over!

Love to everyone

Sarah xxx

PS I always forget to "hug" posts!!  Consider every post always hugged from me x

Seaside Sar

Evening everyone,

Well done Edinbird! You are the first one to pass the chemo finish line. Here's hoping the side effects are not too bad. Take it easy for a while and rest up.

Nice to hear from you Trixielady. I am doing OK thanks. How did you get on today?

Nettienoo, what a pain to have your chemo delayed and to be told on the day. It's so rubbish when you have to cancel plans. Don't blame you for ranting.

Rosina, I totally understand how you're feeling. I feel like a beast has taken over my personality for at least the first week after treatment. My husband always reminds me that my body is full of chemicals/poison which is good of him since most of my tantrums are usually aimed at him. It will pass. You are strong 💪

Marlyn, thank you for keeping us informed of your radiotherapy experience. It is really helpful to know what to expect. How is the soreness now?

Sonia, I'm so sorry you have had to take on board all this news from your oncologist. It's a lot to get your head around. Remember, it's one step at a time and we're with you all the way.

I'm  off for bloods in the morning. If anything, I'm dreading the weigh in as I seemed to have gained half a stone!! Shall be stepping on and off the scales very quickly.

Thinking of you all, lovely ladies. ❤❤❤

Sar xxx

Susie B

Hi sonia28 

I'd be feeling tearful too if I'd had that discussion with the oncologist. All that we have to cope with in a relatively short space of time just becomes overwhelming at times. The problem is, as my oncologist explained at the very start, they have to warn you about all the possible side effects of treatment but they may not necessarily arise. And yes, you do begin to wander if it will ever end. I think that's why I had a bit of a melt down over the weekend. You hear about the chemo, rads and a few targeted therapies but then suddenly all these other meds are mentioned. It all becomes too much. So it's normal and ok to shead a few tears, maybe even shout and rant, but the important thing is to talk, which is what you have done and we're listening. I can't promise things will get better but all of us working together will have a dam good try. Take care. Sending you hugs. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤    

sonia28

Nettinoo, sorry for the delay, it’s so Infuriating when that happens, but enjoy the extra week. It allows you to remember what kind of normal feels like. 

Edinbird, well done on completing number 6. 

Rosina, A melt down is allowed once and a while with bl**dy BC.

I had my meeting with my oncologist today,  I told him all of my side effects, as I was listing them he was then asking and do you have ..... which I had all of them😬

I am not allowed to do the trial for radiotherapy as my tumour was too big, so I am having radio to neck armpit and breast, he then went on to list the side effects, possibly 10% of right lung being damaged for life, hadn’t read that one. Risk of secondary cancer !! But having radiotherapy our weighs the risks so he tells me.

Im then having monthly injections of Giserelin, and Exemestane tablets. (I’m not having tamoxifen) then 3 monthly zoledronic  injections to stop bones crumbling. 

Ive been a little tearful all afternoon as this BC seems like it will never end. 

Xx

Nettienoo

I’ve calmed down now.....I think I may have joined Rosina in her terrible twos moment earlier. 

Edinbird, 🙌🏻 for getting through the last one sweetie. My neutrophils are fine by the way it’s my normal white blood cell count that is 2.? and delaying chemo. 

Marlyn, omg the basting does kind of make sense but I would have done exactly the same. Daisydi and Susie thanks for “being there”. I’ve given myself a slap and stopped stamping my feet about not having chemo today and the comment about delaying last chemo gave me food for thought but I’m supposed to having my grandsons to stay at the end of Aug whilst my daughter and son in law go partying for a long weekend in Ibiza. (Arranged a year ago before barrying bc). If I delay last treatment, I won’t be up to looking after them. 

Compared to what other people are going through, I just need to get over it and count my blessings. It is just a delay after all. 😊 xxx

Edinbird

Fastest chemo ever!! Out just after 2, cannula straight in... feeling good. Nurses were delighted with their bag of goodies.

Bestie seems a little better today. Dad has to stay in for another 2/3 days.

I have no idea why a neuts score of over 2 stops treatment?! Sounds crazy to me. 

Ive been quite snappy not sure how much down to drugs menopausal symptoms or all the other job and family and friends stress. I think husband is getting a bit tired of my snapping and looking tired and teary.

So just resting now. Need to wash my hair and do my nails. Have all evening and all day tomorrow no rush!

Hope we are all feeling better. Was anyone else due chemo today?

Marlyn

Oh nettienoo what a bugger ref your delay, I know my count went down to 1.45 in march but still went ahead.....xx

rosina, totally with you on your melt down, sometimes they just have to come out....although the quip from you daughter did make me giggle " mum went through the menopause today" !!!!

I had to resist giving a lady the two finger salute yesterday in Tesco, I was waiting in the checkout queue and she gave me the most animated sympathy smile......I know you all know how I felt.....she came by on the wrong day and the wrong moment ........

another rad out the way, have been advised not to moisturise before a session as I'm basically basting myself.....

xxxxx

Rosina

Thanks Daisydi,

last time the  T side-effects were more of a 24 hour intense full body armour muscle ache.

This time around they are much less intense but going on for double the time. 

I also must be mad, yesterday I sorted my cupboards and switched winter clothes over to summer ones ( normally this is an easy job but yesterday I had to ask for help and my daughter did quite happily).

Then I decided to cook a soup I have never made before ( it involved roasting red peppers and removing the skin, roasting garlic and squeezing it ) it looked good but I couldn’t taste it - so that disgruntled me ( all that effort for nothing ). The kids said they would happily eat it again and they meant it. 

I flipped when Granny  said she wanted to tell me about the book she was reading ( which I  gave to her and she thoroughly enjoyed) over lunch and I told everyone to shut up and eat and be quiet- both my kids indicated that I was behaving in a ridiculous fashion which was correct.

When H1 got home the kids were relieved and my daughter said ‘mum went through the menopause today’ and I kept quiet but felt really bad. 

So feeling embarrassed, emotional and achey is not a great combo.

Typing it all up here I can see the silly side.

I just don’t like having a terrible 2 when I am going to be 50 in August!

TherapyTherapy