65545members
345396posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Highlighted

Re: February starters 2019 - yes, we rule!

Rosina meant to tell you that there is a post on the radiotherapy section from someone who used the R1R2 watergel system and was very impressed.  Think I may see if my doc will prescribe for me x

Thinking of you Susie and hope it’s going ok. Xx

Highlighted

Hi all

Thanks for the good luck messages. Nice digger MJB. Bloods done. Now waiting with hubby to see oncologist. xxx

Highlighted

Afternoon update

Firstly good luck Suzie B for this afternoon it must be so stressful. 

Well look at the photo my digger has arrived and it's not leaving because I am going to chain myself to it overnight 😀.IMG_20190717_140143.jpg

Highlighted

Best of luck Susie!

Highlighted

Good luck for today Susie xx

Highlighted

Susie,

good luck at the onco appointment.....totally with you ref being in shock about treatment....it still takes my breath away on some days! Me? Cancer? Chemotherapy? Bloody hell!!!! Also the first day I went wig less was so daunting! I remember the postman called...and I thought...bugger it! Your right...he didn't even glance up at me, I was thinking...go on then....look at me god damn you! Almost felt disappointed he didn't...now I don't even think about it......go on.....leave that wig on The shelf....

xx

Highlighted

Morning everyone 

Just popped to read the posts and do a quick catch up. 

Glad you appear to have solved the pain problem Daisydi. It's so easy to think the worst in many situations these days. 

Sorry about the lack of diggers MJB☹.

Trixielady, totally with you about the hair, although I'm being very brave and sat here in my living room, wigless for the first time but also paranoid about someone coming to the door. I have my tearful moments too😭😭😭

As for the chat about dealing with and reacting to our diagnosis I sometimes wonder if I'm still in shock from the diagnosis and don't quite comprehend that all this treatment is actually happening to me. Weird or what? On the excercise front until my diagnosis I used to go on my excercise bike and do stretching, toning and aerobic exercises (dvd at home) 2 or 3 times a week, plus some walking depending on the weather. I will get back to it after this Barrying bc treatment is over. I have started in a small way by integrating some arm and leg toning wirh my post ANC excercises.

I've got my oncologist appointment this afternoon and stress levels are definitely oh💩💩💩💩💩 what was I saying about being paranoid about someone coming to the door. Doorbell just rung and postie has a packet for my son which needed to be signed for. He didn't bat an eyelid. Must stop caring about what others think. Anyway sorry where was I? Right stress levels are definitely up as there is so much to find out. CT scan result, HER2 positive or negative, will bloods be ok, have surgery scars healed enough, etc, etc. Planning some retail therapy and a meal out afterwards at our nearest designer outlet in Street. We were going tomorrow but will be doggy sitting Dibley until Saturday instead. We knew he was staying sometime this week but hadn't firmed up on dates.

Anyway that's all for now. Will get back to you all later this evening or tomorrow and let you know how things went with onc. xxxxxxx    

Highlighted

Daisydi, you are doing the right thing by putting your worries out here on the forum so you can get some reassurance. There is nothing worse than trying to keep them all inside. Xx

Highlighted

Rosina

I know what you mean about the incredibility of diagnosis and all of the mixed emotions that brings. 

Although I have picked up the stuff I used to before diagnosis  - Soroptimists, Slimming World and Rock choir, all of these groups are dominated by women. On the whole I have fund them very beneficial to my mental well-being, but I sometimes can't help looking at all of these women in total probably over 200 and think why have I been the one out of all these to get BC. Please don't think I want it to be one of them, but sometimes I do feel a bit almost resentful that it's me. Horrible to feel that as it's no one's fault I suppose it's the anger surfacing. 

Well I am still drinking my first coffee of the day so better shift and do some house work yuk. 

Highlighted

Morning all, thanks MBJ yes it is across the bra line and when I think about it all rationally the original tumour was cut out in October with other bits and pieces cut out in November and January, bone scan and CT scan in Feb which were clear.  Maybe I will go back to my sports bras for a while and see if it goes away.  I am so fed up with myself for worrying about every little pain (or big pain).  Need to get a grip!

Highlighted

Morning MBJ,

yes, re. fitness I loved my swimming and my body balance classes ( mix of yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi) so on one hand I had a very good foundation to work fall back on during this bc journey,  on the other hand my initial reaction was one of anger and disbelief that this could even happen to ME 🤬

In my first meeting with the Macmillan nurse I described my diagnosis as ‘bonkers’ which made her smile. 

Then, after surgery came grief : what have they done to me ? And blame ( just about everything).

The exercise , the walking and the meditation have helped me become more accepting of all of this. 

I also use my cards ( especially during chemotherapy) I should pull one out for today 🤗

I am also listening to Tara Brach on YouTube, I heard this first from her :

Very little grows on jagged rock.
Be ground. Be crumbled,
so wildflowers will come up
where you are.

You have been stony for too many years.
Try something different.
Surrender.

It makes me ‘soften’. 

Off to town next, for bits and some walking.

Rosina

ps 2 years ago I signed up for 3 months personal training at the gym with my daughter ( she had dropped ballet as it had got very exam oriented) and we ended up doing 6 months. We had a lovely trainer lady in her 20s who also said that diet was more important than exercise for shifting weight. My ‘junk food’ of choice is now nuts ( used to be tortilla chips) as they have lots of ‘good stuff ‘ in them.

Highlighted

Morning ladies 

Sorry to hear the rads Seaside Sar keeping you knackered xx

Implausible pleased you appear to be doing ok on the rads you still getting chauffeured to and from? 8 left, I bet that feels good? 

Edinbird pleased your book signing went well and you didn't pass out, I actually done that on Sunday in the B&M so embarrassing!! 

Hopefully i can start trying to exercise but I'm not managing to pluck up the courage to take my wig of outside although for a split second last night I found myself outside the front gate with Trixie and then panicked like hell my hubby took over, Its the first time since all this actually started that I'd actually forgotten all about it for about an hour, so ended up in floods of tears, definitely need to be braver, hopefully once the energy returns I can lose some weight xx

Sonia28, MBJ, Rosina, Marlyn, Ocean21, Deano, Nettienoo, SusieB, Stargazer1, Sandraindurham & Veronica, Sissy60 and anyone looking in from over forums 

Oh just had a phone call from work its nearly 10 months since I've worked so going in for an interview but saying that I dropping off a sick note for the first time the other day and reversed into the admin's car no damage done haha burst into tears xx

Highlighted

Good Morning Girlies

Well there are still NO diggers in my garden 👹 the building trade blinking useless. 

But my family are home for the summer 😀😀 we saw them all last night. 

Daisydi have you thought that the rib pain might be because of wearing a tight bra? Well if you are wearing it tight of course,because I had a pain under my unaffected side and like you I thought straight to the worst case possible. But then some level headed thinking made me realise it was on the bra band especially if like me you have gone from underwire (which are not so tight) to a firm non wired which obviously have to be tight to stop your boobs falling out the bottom 😀. Of course your pain may not be in the bra line but just have a think about that one simple reason.

Edinbird lovely photos glad you had a nice day.

Rosina your exercises sound so energetic you must have been super fit before Barrying BC.

As for weight gain I put on a stone and that's without 5 rounds of chemo (I am holding on to my one and only). I have been going to Slimming World now for 11weeks and only managed to loose 3lbs. I have lost more but keep on going up and down lose one week gain the next.  I need to up my body magic (exercise). However girls in SW we are always told its the food that will get the weight off not the exercise that's for toning and general fitness. Hoping for a loss this week as I am fed up of paying, because once you are target it's free. I was target for over 4 years until BC. 

I am feeling quite envious of all of you planning to go back to work. I can't believe I just wrote that! As I was sooo glad to retire. I think it's because of the normality it brings and that it fills your head with so much other stuff maybe BC can be put in its box for a bit. Good luck workers. 

Well I hope everyone has a good day. My family will be here soon I am sure so better finish having breakfast. X

Highlighted

@Susie B wrote:

I'd better start digging aswell after putting in over 3kg too. Who allowed that to be posted anyway??? 

I had a good Google after reading it and can't find any basis for her claim anyway, so I wouldn't stress.

Obviously in general being less overweight is a good thing health wise all round, but I can't find anything damning about weight gain during chemo specifically.

My plan is to lose it as quick as it went on and pretend it never happened 🙂

Highlighted

I'd better start digging aswell after putting in over 3kg too. Who allowed that to be posted anyway??? 

Highlighted

Just been watching the luna eclipse with a b&c (bacardi and coke) in hand.🌖🌗🌚. Night, night everyone 🛌🏾🛌🏾🛏🛏🌚🌚🌛🌛xx

Highlighted

Sarah, that song was part of the performance last night. I now have visions of you as a little girl singing those lyrics 😂 Oh my!  And how did that lot get through the filter??

Sorry to hear your surgery isn't happening quite as soon as you'd like. At least you can get back to swimming soon though. 

Edinbird, that's a lovely photo of you and Ben Folds. Hopefully it was worth the uncomfortable queuing. Snoopy is cute! Might need to treat myself to a Happy Meal as well.

Rosina, that's some exercise routine! I just about manage one lot of stretches which takes me all of 5 minutes. Glad to hear you've got your phased return to work sorted.

I'm now sitting outside with a glass of wine. Trying to cool down before getting into bed where I struggle with the sweats all night.

Hope you all sleep well.

Sar xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sonia28,

I was particularly thinking of you on my walk ( no deer sightings unfortunately) what are you studying at University? I am impressed with anyone that goes back to studying as a ‘ mature ‘ student. 

I am sure you will complete your course. Do tell us about it.

Photo from walk : Sun salutationSun salutation

Ps. The 4 downward dogs are more actually part of a sequence known as a ‘sun salutation ‘ - this is my favourite exercise of them all. If I have no time I would at least try to do this one.

Hugs to all,

Rosina

pps my neighbor was outside having a fag when I got home . He asked me how I was doing and I said ‘good’ then I told him about the hike and why I was doing it. He was suitably encouraging and asked me if I had rung the bell when chemotherapy was over. No there wasn’t one.

He then said he had friends who had lost their 8 year old child to cancer. 

Now what do you say to that ?

Highlighted

Sarah, After reading that putting more than 3kg over chemo it is linked to worse recurrence stats, i better dig my grave now as i put on 22kg, I am hoping a lot of that is swelling in my legs, I'm only losing about 1-2 lb a weeks, but my legs are so swollen at weigh in time. The stupid chemist have had re order my stocking as some how the supplier didn't get the fax. who uses fax's in this day and age!!!  At least you have a rough idea when your operation is, I am still in limbo on that one, for both reconstruction and ovaries, but need to lose lots of weigh but like you am hoping it will be sooner rather than later.

My work place brought in a dress code, I kind of loosely stick to it, we are not to wear jeans but I wear black ones more hard wearing when playing on the floor with the kids.

Marilyn, I love a good carry on film

Seaside and Marilyn, I am beginning to feel more tired, I am not sure if it the radiotherapy or the toing and froing from the hospital, or I have had more energy and am doing a bit too much. 

I have no red patches atm but it is tender under my arm where my bra feels like its rubbing. I take my bra and prosthetic off as soon as I come in the house now. I think all your tips have helped out Marilyn.

Edinbird, i am glad you made your book signing, I haven't liked one photo of me lately, not particularly  happy before 🙂

Rosina, yet again you put me to shame with your exercise routine. I have managed to climb all the levels of stairs in my house without wanted to pass out, so that's my achievement. You must be very proud of both your children. x

Daisydi, I suffer from IBS, so have all sorts of pelvic pains, so don't know what's post chemo related and IBS.

I also have hair growing, Its different shades of grey, and so many different lengths. 

MJB, I wish we were having our garden revamped, especially being at home all this time.

Susie, I'm glad your happy with your hair cut and hopefully it will continue to stay put and grow when you have your next treatment.

Ocean21,  sorry you haven't got your rads appointments through yet, I had to chace mine, which were booked just weren't going to let me know to the last minute.

Trixielady, as I said earlier I wish I'd only put on a stone, I've been told by lots of people you will lose it quickly, not sure I will with the amount I need to lose, but we will all get there in the end.

Okay need to sign off now as, need my eye drops as i can hardly see the screen, just another one of those lovely side effects ( can't wait for them to all B U G G E R off ) xxxx

Highlighted

Wow not sure what made me more tired the day or the conversation! I think my eyes are crossed reading your mammoth post Sarah and your exercises Rosina!!

The queue wasn’t that long and when I got to the front I felt I had to explain why I had been dragging a chair along with me! Ben Folds said I looked good for chemo and surgery and I said my hair was thinner under the hat and he said he was going thin on top too! Then I got a photo which is great as is but I have severe fat face if you zoom in (so don’t no one needs to see that!) and I look tired but I think I’d sweated off all the makeup I put on 🥵

7542C39A-50FA-4510-B714-63CD4C8A4376.jpeg

After this I had a little look round the bookshop and then went for a nice walk through the royal park and a sit down for a bit (until it started raining ever so slightly for about 3 minutes) then I rewarded my efforts with a Happy Meal as you get a Snoopy at the moment - mine does the moonwalk

B025E055-70EA-4F5C-B467-5D29629B1A67.jpeg

Then it was two buses or walk back through the park and one bus. Chose the two bus option and then waited an extra 2 mins for a bus to a closer stop to home, and had to stand the whole way! Could only hold onto the handle that hangs from the ceiling with one hand obviously so my arm and back were sore by the time I got off. Probably only a 15 minute journey but that was enough.

So sat here rather wiped out, need to speak to my mum and then I’ll go up to bed I reckon! I’m really glad my boss has given me two weeks of shorter days and an extra day off if I’m this tired. I know I’ve argued to move it from the middle of next week but equally I don’t want my day off taken up by surgeon appointment only. I think I’ll go to bed hit the sleeping pills and fingers crossed won’t wake up for a while!

Highlighted

Implausible, I am going for a walk now. Hope to see the deer 🤗

Highlighted

Daisy if it helps, I've just googled 'rib pain after chemo' and a ton of hits come up, so it must be a fairly common thing.  

Really hope that you can put your mind at rest until it either settles down or the doc can check you over....

Highlighted

Sarah I suppose thats sensible to wait for you to lose weight otherwise they might end up different sizes again.   I cant even think about more surgery at the moment having already had 3. I am more concerned about the pains in my ribs under my boobs and am now looking up whether bone mets can form during chemo .....

Highlighted

Rosina, as ever, you are superhuman 🙂

Just back from my meeting with the surgeon.  I'm having my port a cath out on August 19th (day patient, local anaesthetic), but my left boob realignment surgery (GA and in overnight) won't be till October 20th which seems a very long time away!   I was hoping it would be late August/early September.

Oh well, guess everything won't be over as soon as I had hoped.  Never mind.

Doc wants me to lose as much of my chemo weight gain as possible before the October op.   And that should be possible as I will now be able to go back to the pool and the gym sooner than I thought (from start of September).

In the meantime I shall eat well and walk every day.  Channel my inner Rosina 🙂

Highlighted

And me daisy! Esp today.....xxxx

Highlighted

Rosina you put me to shame with your exercise routine!

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

talk about going out for the count. Two hours of sleep!!! I put the yoga Nidra on and didn’t even last till the end of the routine.

Next thing I knew my daughter was back and it was gone 4 pm. 

Good thing about today I confirmed my ‘phased return ‘ to work with the school business manager. So apart from the full INSET days ( that I want to do) as long as it’s not ‘death by power point ‘ - I actually said that to her 😂-  at the start of term , the other days will be P/T till the October 1/2 term.

Seasidesar great to hear from you. 

I may soon be joining you in the ‘quiet cause I am sleeping ‘ club.

Implausible, you do make me laugh. It’s not 40 minutes of just arm exercises . Here is my list of exercises:

4x downward dog 

16 push-ups 

16 squats ( holding dumb bells)

warrior1,2 3 and sun warrior (each leg)

forward folds

Standing twists

shoulder shrugs

‘threading the needle’ arm extensions 

back bend ( camel pose)

arm exercises ( for lymphodema prevention)

core exercises : hundreds ( this is from Pilates)

leg exercises ( with ankle weights)

more core exercises 

arm extensions ( with scarf)

bridge pose

head inversion ( against the wall, nature’s espresso)

10 minutes of meditation using the Calm app.

I actually enjoy doing the routine.

I put Yoga into my timetable for my class next year.

Plan to teach it in a fun way to my class. 

Highlighted

@Susie B wrote:

Seaside Sar, there's nothing better than a good laugh, even if it was for the wrong reasons watching Hair the Musical😅😅

Susie, I blame my other half for bringing out the worst in me - as the cast stood up displaying full frontal nudity, he commented, "Ah, now I know why it's called Hair!"

😂🤣

Highlighted

Morning all

For once I have time to catch up with you all during the day, as I have an hour wait at the hospital between rads and my counselling session today

Rosina that allotment looks amazing, how wonderful to have free access to so much gorgeous home grown fruit and veg!! Especially all those scrummy berries! Yum!

I don't think I'm the allotment type, though, I must admit, gardening is not my thing! (Which is why my garden is just patio and an astroturf lawn!!) When I was 17 I got an allotment along with my boyfriend at the time and another young couple. We spent a fortune on seeds, and equipment (spades and stuff). Planted a ton of things, then lost interest (as teenagers do!) within a month or so. We never went back to harvest our crops and I presume all the tools are still there in the shed!! Useless 🙂

I was also told to stay well hydrated during rads. I already drink lots of water anyway but have stepped it up even further. I'm now at the "wake twice in the night for a pee break" level instead of once 🙂

Nettienoo there is actually a gym near enough next door to my house. It's the one I usually go to. It would be scarily easy for me to get hold of black market steroids I expect! Don't tempt me 😄

Have you scoffed those jelly babies yet? 🙂 they would last 5 minutes near me!

Hope your son's long journey is going well

Trixielady don't worry about that stone, it'll soon fall back off when you get back to some semblance of normality. I put on more than twice that during chemo. I wasn't toooooo worried as I know I'll get rid of it once I can get back to the pool and the gym, but then last night on one of the other monthly threads I read someone saying they were so pleased they hadn't put hardly any weight on during chemo as they'd read that if you put on more than 3kg over chemo it is linked to worse recurrence stats. Well as I put on 16 kilos I was tempted to reply that she may as well dig my grave now!!! 😄

Susie, the daftest thing about the idea of my sister and cousin arriving to forcibly declutter my house is that I've been to my cousin's house many a time, and she has even more stuff than I do, and her house is definitely messier than mine! So I think she'll arrive and just be very confused as my sister has clearly given her the impression I live in utter squalor! Sigh.....

Ooh Edinbird, is it the Ben Folds Five Ben Folds? I presume it must be. Enjoy the signing today 🙂

I really hope those night time hot flushes of yours either sort themselves out soon, or the docs can give you something to regulate them. I reckon everything else would feel so much more manageable if you could only get a good night's sleep!

Oh Susie, your summerhouse is lovely!!

Must say it hasn't occurred to me to have a "nil by arm" alert bracelet. I guess I figured I'd be awake to remind people if I was needing BP or bloods taken.... hopefully if I turn up somewhere unconscious they will at least know who I am so can check my notes.... if I'm a Jane Doe then probably the slightly increased risk of lymphodema from them using the wrong arm will be the least of my worries 😄

My chemo unit have used my "bad" arm to take blood twice after coming up dry from the good one. And the anaesthetist used the bad side too for the cannula last time I had a GA (to put the port a cath in). They all said it wasn't that big deal.... apparently the blood pressure thing is more important to avoid than needles.

As for finding a reputable tattoo artist, they are hugely better regulated than they used to be, so anyone with a proper shop front will be regularly checked re hygiene etc, so that's one worry out of the way. Actually finding someone who is competent in terms of producing decent artwork on your skin, is more down to word of mouth recommendation. If you have local friends with an opinion, then that's a good place to start. Otherwise look at Yelp reviews etc. And check the tattooist's Facebook or Instagram pages to see examples of their work. Make sure they do stuff in a similar style to what you want. For example there is a guy near me who is world renowned for black and white portraits. But that's pretty much all he does. So he wouldn't be a good choice for a pretty colourful butterfly (plus his waiting list is over a year 🙂 ).

You are doing the arm exercises for 40 mins a day, Rosina? Blimey, maybe I need to up my game! I do mine twice a day but they only take about 5 minutes a pop. I did have a nice long walk last night though (didn't get home till gone 10pm). I say nice, it was hard work! My calf muscle still hurts a little from the cramp I had over a fortnight ago so walking is less enjoyable than it used to be. I'm still semi limping. Hope that sorts itself out soon.

Sonia I had the exact same thing as you did.... all scans showed my lymph nodes were fine so I was told no chemo.... I was delighted.... then they found it in one of my lymph nodes when they did surgery so I had to have the lot. Was gutted! I wish they had told me that there was a possibility the scans might be wrong so I could have prepared myself for that eventuality....

I totally sympathise with the bittersweet feeling of seeing those you had been studying alongside finishing their course while you still have a year to go - that sucks 😕 2019 has been a bit of a write-off for all of us, hasn't it! But it means we'll still be here for 2020, and 2021, and all the other years that sound like they belong in a sci-fi movie....

Sonia and Seaside both, how are you getting on with the rads? I had zappage 12 of 20 today, so more than half way through now. I am still - touch wood - fairly side effect free. A little tired but not as bad as I was after chemo. And my shoulder is a tiny bit stiff. But no redness or soreness on the skin yet. I'm expecting things to get worse as time goes on but so far, so good.

------------------------------------

that was as far as I got this morning, since when you've all posted a ton more and answered half my questions 🙂

Daisydi - nope no pelvic/gut pains here - maybe constipation? or the other extreme? I think, as MBJ said, we will all be a bit paranoid about any pain or twinge or unusual symptom for years to come!

Nice to hear you also have new hair growing even though it isn't quite the same colour as the rest! I think a few of us are going to end up with stripy hairstyles! I'm the same as you with my eyelashes - I only have 3 or 4 left on each eye, so I don't bother with mascara any more as it just draws attention to the odd looking stragglers.... People say that the brows and lashes grow back quite quickly, I hope so!

And no, afraid not Debi, I had 3 FEC, 3 T, and no Herceptin, we all seem to be subtly different in our regimes.

Edinbird I was also sitting wrapped up in a blanket yesterday (in fact, a slanket, with arms, I love it!) - I can't work out if I am warm or cold recently, although so far (touch wood) I haven't had the really hot sweats.

Heyyyyy Ocean, were your ears burning? 🙂 we were all missing you. Love all the photos as usual but especially the fields of poppy heads and wheat, they are rather mesmerising. And the lilies! Wish the photos came with smell-o-vision 🙂

Bummer to hear that you are still being messed around a bit by your radiology team, they are really dragging their heels too, I thought you'd have started by now! Hopefully once you do get going, things will settle quickly into the daily routine and there will be less vagueness and uncertainty and somewhat shoddy behaviour on their part.....

MBJ - how is digger watch going? any sign yet?

Rosina - you had done more today before 7am than I usually do in 24 hours 😄 Big congrats to your amazing kiddos.

My Connor started A level law last year, he lasted a month 🙂

Susie - happy hairdresser day - as for seeing yourself bald in the mirror, I hated it! but now I'm kind of getting used to it. Maybe because now I believe it's coming back, slowly but surely.....

Seaside - good to hear from you, I was getting a little worried. Glad to hear that you've been mainly napping, and nothing more serious. Pity to hear that the rads are taking it out of you to such an extent, but good news that your skin is holding up. Also happy to hear that you survived Mass with no embarassing dashes down the aisle to the loo! 🙂

Hair - yes I have seen it (and loved it). And moreover, when I was a small child, I was apparently somewhat obsessed with it! At least with my dad's vinyl LP of the soundtrack. I'm not sure if they included this song in the version you saw last night, but there was a song on the soundtrack that starts, from memory, as follows (heaven knows what the language filter is going to think of this!):

"Sodomy
Fellatio
Cunnilingus
Perderasty
Father.....why do these words sound so nasty????"

And it carries on in much the same vein

My evil parents, so I have been told, used to wheel me out at dinner parties and ask me to sing this song (that I had memorised from the soundtrack, but obviously had no idea what the words meant) to amuse their drunken mates 😄 Ahhhhhhh.....growing up in the early 1970s 🙂

Hope your support meeting (with cake!) went well this afternoon

Marlyn - when you discover the key to "refreshed and well rested", please do share!

Edinbird - hope you enjoyed the book signing once you finally got to the front. First outing after surgery is always a bit daunting.

Marlyn (again) - I did that once - fainted in a queue. It was when I was pregnant, and my blood sugar was a bit low as I hadn't eaten for a while, I could feel myself getting a little light headed, so I went to queue up at a snack kiosk (I was at a trade show at the NEC in Birmingham). The queue slowly moved forward until I had only one person still in front of me, and that's when I keeled over. Ended up lying on my back on the floor - and the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was the bloke who had been behind me in the queue, stepping over my baby bump and placing his food order!!!!!!! 😄 😄 😄 The git!!! Luckily the other people around helped me back up, looked after me, and fed me biscuits 🙂

Rosina - enjoy your nap 🙂

Well that's me caught up....

I started today slightly miffed at the new dress code that has been sent round at work (for context, we used to be totally casual, so just jeans and trainers and t shirts, and yes, hoodies):

dresscode.png

I feel personally attacked! 😄 I'm the only person there who lives in Vans and Converse....

And right now I shall be wearing caps and hats a lot, whether they like it or not.

I intend to go back to work in a few weeks dressed exactly how I've always dressed, and see if they have the nerve to say anything 🙂

Next stop was Oxford for rads, and counselling today. The therapist lady reckons I apologise way too much, and has challenged me to go a week without saying the word S-O-R-R-Y. I've already caught myself using it 3 times in this post alone, and had to edit to use another word 🙂

The whole session was rather eye opening, really, she traced a lot of my behaviours back to my rather cold relationship with my mum, and it all makes scary sense! Philip Larkin was right 😉

And now I'm just about to head out to a different hospital - the Swindon one - for a meeting with my surgeon to talk next steps after radiotherapy. I'm rather hoping that I get my surgery date today, or at least a clearer indication of when it is going to be, so that I can plan around it.

I'm going to pop in to see t'other Sarah (the one who was my chemo buddy) while I'm there, as she is still in hospital after having her mastectomy and reconstruction yesterday. I've bought her some grapes, as is traditional I believe when visiting somebody in hospital (I can't remember the last time I did, apart from my dad, and he never liked grapes....)

Talking of my dad - I FINALLY got the capital gains bill through today for the sale of his house - over a year after I sold it and did all the paperwork - and it's almost £2k more than I was expecting. Grrrr.

At least (as a few of you saw on facebook) I got about £100 worth of groceries for free yesterday!! Swings and roundabouts, eh??? 😄

Take care all

Sarah x

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

Well I'm now sporting a very neat and tidy short back and sides💇‍♂️👦, not much different from  a schoolboy's. So now hair is no longer in danger of creeping below my wigs but there's enough to cover any bald patches if my new growth doesn't  survive the onslaught of the next lot of chemo.

Sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable Edinbird on what should be an enjoyable outing. I hope things start to improve soon. 

Marlyn, Carry On films, you can't beat them. All that bawdy seaside humour and innuendo, brilliantly funny😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Seaside Sar, there's nothing better than a good laugh, even if it was for the wrong reasons watching Hair the Musical😅😅. I think we'll all be joining you in the tired department😴😴😴😴😴 over the next few weeks and months (for me), so please don't apologise for being quiet. Just so long as you're ok. As for the summerhouse, we bought that in 2011 after putting odd bits of money away over several years as we both thought it would turn out to be an unnecessary luxury that we would never really use. How wrong we were!!!! 

Rosina, hope you get that well deserved rest🛌🏾🛌🏾🛌🏾. Take it easy.

Enjoy the rest of the day, if you can, everyone xxxxx 

Highlighted

You clever girl! Thanks implausible xxxxx

Highlighted

Well I am back home and off to bed. Time 14.20.

Was planning to go in again tomorrow but the visitors with a ‘V’ have made the call and are turning up .

Teachers do talk a lot.

Hang in there Edinbird 🌼

Highlighted

Hi Marlyn

To find the poem I just wrote 'Mountain lion' in the search box that comes up with everything else when you sign in. The original post was by strawberryblond on 10-07-2016. I printed it off just the other day. Hope you find it🤞. Susie B xx  

Highlighted

I'm in the process of typing up a big post but in the meantime, Marlyn, here you go:

https://csn.cancer.org/node/299213

Highlighted

I hate getting all hot and sweaty , esp in a queue, I fear collapsing! It did once happen to me when I was at Gatwick airport...on my own...it was just awful...

on another note .....would any of you remember the mountain lion poem? Where would I find the link, iv been scrolling through the tread but it was posted weeks ago....xxx

Highlighted

Queued up for my book signing, I asked for a chair feeling useless and then stood holding onto it but it is so hot in here I’m sweating like anything (obviously) so I’ve given in and sat down.

Had to wear a wired bra because my non wired one showed through the T-shirt. The wire is no issue at all but it’s not so supportive and so my boob is aching, what with the bag over my shoulder too... oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Find a loo to put the straps tighter I guess but not whilst I’m in this queue! All lessons for back to work!

Highlighted

Things must be bad, I've gone to my go to comfort films.....the carry ons......currently watching carry on abroad with the aircon on full blast nodding off....cause that's how I roll!!! X

Highlighted

Hi Marlyn,

We can hope can't we? 🤞

In the meantime 😴😴😴

Xxx

Highlighted

Hi seaside,

totally understand the exhaustion from rads, I'm still completely and utterly knackered, just finished my rounds and sat here nodding off! I'm praying for the day I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested.....that will happen.....won't it????? 

Highlighted

Good morning everybody,

Sorry I have been a bit quiet. Radiotherapy has made me extremely tired so I've spent most days napping. Skin is still unaffected. Long may that continue. I managed to make it to the Mass at my old school last Friday without any toilet issues. It was really lovely to see everyone. One of the teaching assistants works part time at the theatre and she wangled me some tickets to see Hair the Musical last night. Anyone seen it? I found it ummm....interesting. Lots of nudity which made me laugh out loud. Oh dear, how childish of me 🤣

I've caught up on all the news on here. Sorry to hear you're suffering from your surgery, Edinbird. Hopefully you'll feel better as time goes on. The sweats are a total pain, I agree, particularly in this hot weather.

Daisy, I had pelvic pain intermittently last week and I thought it might be the return of my periods but that hasn't happened. I hope you find out what's causing it and hope it's nothing to worry about. 

Lovely photos again, Ocean. Hope you get the rads sorted soon.

How are your rads going, Sarah? Over halfway now? Great news about the hair. 😊

Lovely photos of your garden, Susie. I really like your summer house. Good luck with the hair cut. So difficult to know what to do, isn't it?

Nice to hear from you, Trixielady. How are you feeling?

Rosina, you must be very proud of your kids. Lovely photos too.

MB,J, has that digger turned up?

Sonia, it sounds like you need a rest after your busy weekend. Hope you're sitting with your feet up.

Marlyn and Deano, how are you?

I'm off for a walk now and going to BC support meeting/tea & cake this afternoon so no time to nap.

Hope everyone else is OK today and enjoying some sun.

Sar xxx

Highlighted

Morning everyone 

Beautiful photos Ocean21. I love the fields of poppy seed heads, never seen anything like it☺. Hope you get the rads sorted soon, you do seem to be getting the run around..

MJB, looking forward to the digger photos. We've taken many photos over the years of the transformation of both our current garden and much small one we had in Basingstoke. Seeing the end result makes all the initial mess worth while.

Rosina, congratulations to both your children. You must be very proud of them.  

I'm off to the hairdressers later for a trim. I don't want what little I have of my original hair to show below my wig. Still intend to cold cap again. I know I'm going to wear wigs most of the time but would find it very difficult to see myself with a bald head morning and night🤤🤤☹. 

Have a good day everyone xxxxxx

Highlighted

Morning Girls,

great start to my day with phone from Ocean21 🤗

I woke up at 5.10 so as I am dropping my son off at school (they have a reward trip) early and then I am popping in to my work which is very close. I thought may as well do my exercises and meditation. Had shower ( skin brushing routine done) , healthy breakfast. Now to get dressed and draw my eyebrows on 😳 time currently is 7.15. 

Hugs to all, Anthony and H1 at prize giving yesterday ⭐️Anthony and H1 at prize giving yesterday

Anthony got a certificate for outstanding effort and behaviour in y9.  

Kalinda got an award for her efforts in A level law. Not sure if I can post her photo as she is with a friend and I haven’t got permission from friends family.

Very proud of both of them 🤗

PS . the allotment is all H1’s work I just went to water and eat 🤪

Highlighted

Good to hear from you Ocean.  Beautiful pictures as always x

Highlighted

Hi Ocean21

Nice to hear from you. My daughter has been on holiday in France on third way home from Abu Dhabi but we will be seeing them tomorrow Yay 

The photos of your flowers are awesome.

I hope your rads go according to plan. Seems as if you have been messed about a bit. Enjoy your garden, we are still waiting for our ground crew said today or maybe tomorrow. But I am not holding my breath.

There will def be photos if there are diggers in my garden tomorrow. X

Highlighted

C7B9C58D-11CD-4549-ABBC-5D7856AECABE.jpeg6DE2C5E0-AB61-45E7-8F7F-81B9DBE36863.jpeg62AFBBCD-F8B5-43D3-AD9A-43C8F3566A20.jpegAABCDD01-576B-494B-A255-70EE7FE54372.jpegD262AE3E-5452-4D31-87E3-D4001549A7B4.jpegCB898122-D917-44CF-8B0D-3C21F1093C2C.jpeg

Highlighted

Sea hollySea holly67E4146A-FB38-4F0C-941B-241E8A328442.jpeg36CA66F7-2231-4E64-B4F0-484D66250B60.jpegAgapanthusAgapanthusTeaselTeaselArtichoke flowersArtichoke flowers

Highlighted

Perfume from these lilies is wondrousPerfume from these lilies is wondrous5A4CF738-E146-495A-B93D-0113742056F4.jpegFB317982-8861-4AD1-830B-4246F8A2036C.jpeg5B2B9642-C100-4B42-9CC7-79B7DD91B61C.jpegAAC41686-8154-4477-AB17-55D3B890C323.jpeg

Highlighted

Hey lovely ones,

Poppy seed headsPoppy seed heads5E11BB7B-4768-48E6-8E9F-35343AACD27D.jpeg30980553-1942-4F43-8D11-D589C123630B.jpeg992A5A64-98ED-4A90-9969-215C89311F7B.jpeg2E76B70B-7EA4-47F8-A74B-15244C18946A.jpeg

Im good. So much going on with everyone  , it’s wonderful that we’ve come this far and that we continue to power through.

Edinbird an Delano so glad your respective ops went well. 

Nettie, great pic of you after your last treatment. Get those jelly babies eaten next time you fancy them:)

Sarah, that back tatt is fab. I’d love some more but I’m not sure what my skin is up to. Long before this bc business I noticed that in certain areas I was losing pigment in my skin and not  just one or two places, all over. I’ve always known I’d have vitiligo on my legs as my mum has it and her mum had it so Ive never been bothered about it. Until I started noticing these lighter patches developing elsewhere.

Speaking if tattoos , I’m not confident that the nurse who did did the dots for my radiotherapy has got  them in the right places.she made such a song and dance about not being able to see them.  I got a very big tattoo so I know that ink shows very well on my skin , some black skins it does but mine took the ink well. The nurse who did the dit’s did them 3 times and called other nurses over to look at what she’d done over and over again. Give that this is supposed to be a precision treatment you can see why I’m concerned.

Aside from the radiologist, I complained about that. I said that I’m sure that I’m not the first black patient they’ve had nor will I be the last so given that my tattoos are very visible maybe she’d like to explain why she was complaining. My skin on my torso is lighter obviously  because it’s always covered up.Its lighter than the skin on my arms which are tattooed so why she behaved as she did is anyone’s guess. 

Enjoying not having any appointments for the moments. My radiotherapy is supposed to start next week I think but I’m still waiting for an actual start date and session time. Going to phone tomorrow, I think I’ve left it long enough.

As I complained about the radiologist don’t know if that’s why I’ve not heard anything. In any event I get in well with my oncologist and as she’s the senior specialist who oversees all the coordination of treatment I’m sure that it will get sorted.

Weather over here is very hot which is lovely but the sweating ! on one hand it’s like that that line one of John Denver’s songs ’ sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...’ ,one the  other hand i over heat so much now that paper towels aren’t enough so I now have a hand towel with me, even when i go out ! 

I dont don’t wear my headscarf much at all , it’s far too hot. I’m still bald but I just thought ‘ b*llocks it is what it is, let them stare ... if they dare!’ I draw some eyebrows one put some lipstick on and out I go. Must admit I’ve got to get better remembering to put on sunblock.

Was having horrendous problems with hands and fingers. That’s really subsided this last week. A huge relief. My skin on my hands and my nails look a complete mess though.

Right, need to go and wind down. Admin galore to wade through tomorrow.

Some photos for you.

😘😘😘

Highlighted

Just wanted to get up to date with people after my panic earlier.  I suppose this is the new me.  Frightened of every pain and thinking the worst.  I do hope it gets easier.

Sarah I am so pleased that your hair is growing back.   I kept thinking when I was washing my face that I had left soap on the hairline by my ears and kept rinsing and rinsing.  Today I noticed that it is very white hairs coming through so god knows what will happen when the rest comes through.  I mean it is really really white and my hair is kinda very blonde at the front and quite dark at the back and underneath.  when I washed my hair today loads still came out so Im not relaxing on that front yet.  Funny thing happened I thought I would try to put some mascara on as I thought my eyelashes were growing back.  Tried to put it on and realised I only had about 4 lashes on each side and the mascara went on the eyelids just like eyeliner.  Couldn't have done that if I tried.  Will have to be more patient.

Rosina your veggie patch is great and Susie your garden is beautiful.  Mine is such a mess but then there is only me to do everything so it will have to wait along with the housework.  I have managed to do 2 fairly long walks with the dogs yesterday and today.

Im not doing my lymph exercises any more.  Should I be? Bearing in mind that most days I am throwing the ball with a launcher about 1000 times for the dogs.  Maybe I should look at doing something.  

Ive ordered my tub of Aveeno.  Just realised my r/t starts next Wednesday.  It has come round really quickly.  My friend said it is really important to keep well hydrated and eat well and expect fatigue until a couple of weeks after it ends.  Cant wait.

Nettie hope you are ok.  Love to everyone else.  Are you ok Seaside.  Havent heard from you for a while x