62197members
327452posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February starters 2019 - yes, we rule!

Evening everyone,

MBJ, the Northern Belle looks very posh. Lovely photo of you and your hubby looking very happy 😊

Well done Susie for getting another chemo ticked off. Hope you're home by now having a good rest.

Debi, I'm on 3 weekly Herceptin injections but no Pertuzumab for me. Can't say I've noticed any side effects (touch wood!)

Edinbird, hope you're recovering well from your op. Are you allowed to go home today?

Had my echocardiogram today and all appears to be well. Had bloods taken and my neutrophils are at 2.9 which is lower than when I finished chemo. Work that one out!

The good news is, we've booked our flights to Florida! Going on Monday, eek! Would start packing tomorrow but I'm at Newmarket races for the day so guess it will have to wait until Sunday. Phoned daughter earlier to let her know we'll see her soon. She's very excited.

Hugs to you all.

Sar xxx

Hi Marlyn

.................. and the G&T at 8:00 pm 🍸🍸 perhaps😉?

Hi debi2,

i can only speak about herceptin which I get via injection every 3 weeks, as far as I know I'm tolerating it very well, I do still have residual effects of chemo and rads...but on the whole I seem ok....I'm assuming you'll get both these meds via infusion? 

Im sure someone will be along to offer more than I've been able....hope your otherwise doing ok? Xxx

Hi Feb starters

I have just been told that i will have to carry on having Herceptin and Pertuzumab every 3 weeks for a year.  Does anyone on this thread have the same?  I am just wanting to know if there are any side effects with these two drugs as i have only had them along side my Docetaxol up to now.

Thanks 

Debi

Susie,

im glad your almost done , it's funny when you say rather Paul than you off to the dentist while your sat in the chemo unit! 😂 

Well, I got a call from my bone nurse this morning giving me the green light to start my bone meds, Sooooo....it's..

2x clodronate 7.30am

1x high dose calcium with breakfast 

1x high dose calcium with dinner

and last but not least good old anastrozole at 7pm...

Nearly forgot herceptin every 3 weeks,,  and the heart scans, bone scans and bloods...all thrown in between to keep you on your toes

just hoping theres not some other nurse lurking about somewhere, waiting to ring me to say there's another anti cancer regime I have to embark on! Like rubbing stinging nettles on me chest once a week as it's been proven to prevent tumours coming back...or poke me eye with a knitting needle ( no other needle will do) everyday as this reduces the risk of recurrence!.... I'm verging on the hysterical ridiculous now I know but there does come a point in treatment when you think.....what now???? Surely I've enough on me plate??? 

Thank god for you lot xxxx

Hi Marlyn 

Just finished my chemo but here until about 3:30 for coldcap to finish. Paul's just left to visit the dentist. Rather him than me. I'm with a fairly chatty lot so I'm not alone😊. It's a bit wet and windy here. Thanks for the hug, it's very much appreciated. xxx

Susie,

i see you posted an hour ago? How long you in for? It's a pretty muggy day too....I hope your home by now and getting in that familiar post chemo routine that your so used to by now....I used to love it when it rained on chemo days, I would get home, straight into me jimjams and in bed....listening to the wind and rain....almost seemed quite befitting.....sending you a gentle hug.....and while I'm at it one for our edinbird.....oh blow it...here's one for all of you.....I think you're all super stars......xxxxxxx

Hi MBJ

Gorgeous photo of you and your husband. The Northern  Belle looks very plush. Enjoy the rest of your day. I'm a bit jealous as I'm sat here having chemo and looking silly in my wonderful cold cap🙁 xx

Mjb,

oh that looks just lovely! I adore train journeys, I had a lovely cream tea on the Severn railway for my birthday last year and a Scrooge who dunit at Crimbo....

you both look so happy....xxxxx

Rosina,

i love Kathy Burke, she's on the one show tonight....xxx

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/kathy-burkes-all-woman

Quick catch up :

driving back from rads today I was listening to Women’s Hour on radio 4.

Now I want to watch this :

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/kathy-burkes-all-woman.

Link pasted above. 

Kathy Burke interview was very good.

Kathy Burke on WH

Hi MBJ,

what a treat. Love trains journeys. This looks very civilised 🤗

MBJ

Hi Girls here we are on the Northern Belle weather dry so far fingers crossed it stays dry.IMG_20190809_113228.jpg

Hi Edinbird 

Glad to hear the op went well and that your surgeon is confident that  has removed everything☺. Hope you managed to get some sleep last night😴😴. A room with a balcony, there's posh but maybe not so good if it rained where you are. We had rain hare in Somerset from about 7:00pm onewrds🌨🌨🌨🌨.

As for the fat transfer just wait and see how you feel about the dent at a future date. For now  concentrate on making a full recovery, take painkillers💊💊 if you need them and continue with the arm exercises💪💪. If you find them boring then try and introduce some of them by standing a bit further away when opening cupboards, closing/opening curtains or switching on lights so you have to stretch. 

Take care. Susie B xxxxx

MBJ

Dear Edinbird

I am so pleased to hear you are back on the ward. It's good they are keeping a watch over you tonight. A room with s balcony sounds really posh I can tell it's not Wales we only have cupboards for wards here 😮. I hope you have a restful night unlikely I know. Don't forget to ask for pain relief if you need it. XX 

Edinbird, I hope you’ve got a nice breeze coming in from the balcony so you can get some zzzzzz’s in between the checks but it’s good they are keeping a close eye on you. Everything crossed you can get home to your own bed tomorrow. Xxxxx

Well done Edinbird.  If you have a dent in your boob then so what frankly.  Im getting used to mine and dont think I would go through another op to have it filled in from somewhere else but everyone is different.  Now make sure you rest up. Lots of love xxxxx

Have a good nights sleep Edinbird,

0A228F0C-7B34-4258-B84E-6BD3CB684D82.jpegGreen vibes

Hi Edinbird,

Thanks for the update. You are amazing. Well done. Now rest up and hopefully you can go home soon. Thinking of you xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

edinbird ❤️❤️Glad ops gone well for you, take it steady and let your body heal now, I’m still wonky and just stuff my bra with stuffing from knitted knocker or use the half prosthesis, you’ll do what’s right for you when you are ready ❤️❤️Found having pillow between arm and boob comfy for sleeping, so hope that helps ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi all xx

Sorry for the delay! So I get told I’m third in, and then second so I need to get changed and no sooner have I put the gown and stockings on but I’m getting called in!! Hastily fire off a few messages - glad I could get one to Sarah - and that was that!

So I came out at 1.30 came round at 2.30. But didn’t get a bed until 5 and didn’t get my belongings back including phone and glasses until 6!! Then I’m getting every check under the sun including a check of my drain and wounds every 30 mins plus dinner plus blood sample which was a farce as ever and took about 20 mins and was out of the bad arm as good arm not playing ball at all!

So amongst this fuss I’m trying to get on and reply to people who are all worrying why they’ve not heard from me! Finally got round to the forum now. Am so tired but I’m going to keep getting checked so no idea how this night is going to go. I have a balcony and the door open so that’s a good start as I’ve had a zillion hot flushes already.

My nodes were a bit screwed from chemo and one was stuck to some blood vessels but they got them all. And the surgeon has taken a fair chunk from the boob she says to hopefully mean that she’s got it all. So I will at a later date need to have a fat transfer to even things out. Great another op. I think I’ll just have to see how bad it is, I don’t fancy having fat taken from other places as surely that then leaves a dent there? When I was in recovery a woman was coming round from surgery and she seemed to have had stuff taken from all over her body and she was in a lot of pain. Sarah when you have the good boob made smaller can I just have some of yours? It all looks ok for now with the bandages on and the swelling. But it was already pretty dented before today so who knows what mess I’m going to be in.

Anyway, the surgeon was pleased so I just have to wait for tomorrow and see if they’ll let me home and then I guess it’ll be three weeks again before the results. Surgery grump has already set in. Probably should put the phone down but I don’t really want to do anything. Thanks for all your love and support xxxx

Hey lovelies,

Edinbird ,hope that all goes well today. Thinking if you. Considering how stressed you’ve been feeling you looked beautiful on your night out.

SeasideSar I hope that you feel more a5 ease booking your holiday. I’m sure that once you get there and see your daughter it’ll make up for all your worries.

Sarah, more lovely street art pics. Oskar looks lovely and tell grandpa that he’s got a magnificent beard. Been trying for years without success to get my other half to grow his back. I’m in the love beards camp. My dad had one and both my sons have them. My eldest son’s is a beaut, his brother has beard envySmiley Happy 

My nails are in a dreadful state, look like they’ve been bashed with a hammer! Yours look far more human than mine.

Trying to remember who’s doing what and where and frankly not getting far. I remember themes though.

Families, it’s a struggle isn’t it. Once I told my children what’s been happening  I told my brother . Never heard a word back. That hurt and still does really , I thought we were close . Anyway I’ve parcelled it away , can’t add to my stress levels. He’s a lovely man and probably doesn’t know how to respond really. He’s not the best at showing his emotions.

Havent told my sister a thing. We don’t get on. She doesn’t like me and I’ve given up trying to be human to someone so patronising and controlling and just downright cold. I have nothing to do with her and honestly I don’t feel bad about it because I’ve been honest with myself and recognised that for whatever her she’s never wanted a relationship with me and been quite nasty about it so I’ve moved on.

My grandchildren are over this weekend, super excited. Two weeks of grandma doings to look forward to🥰🥰🥰

Started my rads last Thursday. All well so far . Under my arm feels a bit tender but other than that everything has been going along really smoothly so far. My taxi drivers are lovely and well used to ferrying people to and from the radiotherapy dept.

After my complaint I’m down to see the consultant now and not that horrid man I had before. The driver I had today is the owner of the taxi company and he’s been taking people for rads for a while. From what he said today the horrible man I saw is known for his behaviour but it seems that people have just put up with it.  Why?! 

Anyway, my consultant is female. I was down to have a consultation on Tuesday but as she’d just got back from holiday she got the secretary to ask if I could go in yesterday so she could spend more time with me. I really appreciated that. 

So , 5 down 29 to go. 8 of those are specifically for lymph nodes. Consultant said there’s nothing wrong with them but they’re being blasted as insurance. Not really happy at having so many sessions but if it’s going to help I’ll have it. I’ve no idea how they work out dosages, like our chemo regimes they might differ from team to team.The treatment protocol the consultant oncologist gave me showed they on the chemo regime I was on you’re supposed to have 6 weeks of rads so that’s 30 sessions .I’m having 4 more. Now I’ve actually started  and things have been moving along so swiftly, having 4 more doesn’t bother as much as it did. When I’m under the machines I just close my eyes and meditate.

GP has put me on a huge monthly dose of vitamin D so my blood results show I’m low in that. 

Got my bone density scan to come so fingers and everything crossed.

Right better go. Love and big hugs to every one of you.

😘😘😘

Rosina, when you download the photo there is black X in the top right hand corner which is difficult to see if it appears on a dark background. Press it and the photo will be deleted. Hope this helps.

Susie xx  

Thanks for update Sarah. Op should be well underway by now. I always feel so anxious when one of us is undergoing an op.  Xxx

Thinking of you Edinbird x

Just to let you all know I got a message from Edinbird just before 10am to say she was going down to theatre, so at least they didn't leave her waiting around for ages.... 

Edinbird, be as grumpy as you like,  we've all been there at one time or another. The confusion in what you're actually having done certainly won't help. I was asked many times by various medics to confirm my details, what I was having done and where the lumpectomy and ANC  was being done, so hopefully your team will do likewise. On the plus side the drain won't be coming home with you☺ and any remaining cancer cells will be gone. Get some rest if you can. xxxxx 

No need to apologise, you have every right to feel grumpy. I do hope you don’t have to wait too long and that you are soon out the other side. We love you. Xxxxxx

Morning Edinbird, sending you lots of positive energy. If you can shut your eyes and focus on your breath this is highly recommended 🍀🍀🍀

Edinbird, with so much love and support from your extended family here you can't go wrong, let us know when your able that you're ok? You know how we all worry about each other...gentle hugs my love xxx

Thanks guys I’m just getting checked in. This definitely seems like a bigger deal today. The surgeon is happy with what she’s doing but everyone else seems really confused I’ve been told I’m having a mastectomy and the latest nurse has just wandered off with my notes again even though 10 mins ago I signed for a clearance and a re-excision!!!

They’ve just told me I’m getting checked every hour for the drain and every two for the wound so yet again I’m getting no sleep 😞

Just fed up of everything at the moment. I know it’s all necessary and I’ll definitely be cancer free after this if I’m not already but I hated surgery recovery last time and this is only going to be worse. Only good thing I’ve heard so far is that I won’t be taking the drain home. I’m to come back next week to get checked over which is good too but also a pain that I’ll have to get the busy bus during the festival.

Hope we get on with it soon I don’t know where I am in the schedule. I’m not in a good mood and just want to lie down so if I’m not early then let’s hope I’m late and I can try and rest. Sorry to be so grumpy xx

Good luck Edinbird. I've got everything crossed for you 🤞xxx

Morning lovely ladies 

Edinbird thinking about you today xx

Hi Edinbird 

Just to let you know I'll be thinking of you today. Hope all goes well. 

Susie xxxx

MBJ

Hi Girls

Edinbird I hope all goes well tomorrow for you, I will be thinking of you.

Rosina rainbows are so lovely and represent a new beginning.

I am coping with my heart monitor ok, just need to wear high neck t shirts. 

I hope the weather will be kind on Friday for our Northern Belle train outing, but I seriously doubt it. Shrewsbury flower show in the rain here we come ☔🌷🌹.

Rosina, love rainbows too. There is something so magical about them.  X

Daisydi, lovely to hear things are going well. Edinbird, I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow sweetheart. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight. 

SusieB, Calendar Girl eh? I’m very impressed. I’m not sure I could do it. I’d be demanding extremely large buns to hide behind. 😊 x

Evening all, just a quicky to say good luck for tomorrow Edinbird. Let us know how you are as soon as you are able. Ive just got back from rads number 10 and am now cooking my dinner. Half way through and no problems so far. Also day 2 of Anastrazole and no problems with that yet either. Things are looking up, I hope. Love to you all xx

Evening walk 9EB53643-84F9-4925-B0AD-165C913C4785.jpeg

4C6E2EA9-33C5-42C0-A975-93F92F7EBD5F.jpegSeen before it saw me

EE04B585-8FA6-4BE0-BD2F-C15139659419.jpegRainbow hunter

Thought I was getting a bit lazy so I went out this evening for a walk. Always rewarding. 

Love rainbows and I have posted the same photo x2. He ho. How do you delete?

Goodnight all. 

Hi everyone

Saw my oncologist today, bloods all ok so chemo again on Friday - 1/2 way point - ☺. Saw our friend who worked with hubby for many years and now works as a Macmillan volunteer. She's asked if I would be up for joining in with a calendar shoot 📅📷📸, as in Calendar Girls, and I found myself saying "Urm, ok, why not". Dread to think what I've let myself in for. I'll let you know if it happens. 

Rosina, empty nest is fine, it's when they return home permanently that's the problem.😃😀.

Wil catch up with you all tomorrow. xxxx   

Yoohoo! I’m here. Nothing much to report here either apart from the fact I’m starting to get out and about a bit this week and building up my step count. X

👋 Implausible,

waving back . Apart from K1 and K2 getting back home safely nothing else to report. They have had a good time. Good to see them again. 

It was interesting for me and H1 to experience the ‘empty nest ‘ feeling.

Must go for a walk. Very mixed weather over here 🌸

Hi Implausible 

I'm here waving back🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️ from Martock near Yeovil and it's cloudy🌫🌫☹.  I'm around 30 to 35 miles from you. I'l be catching up later too. Susie xxxx

Where is everyone today????

Haven't got time for a proper reply but just wanted to wave to my ladies from sunny Bristol  

*waves*

Catch you all later or tomorrow 

Sarah x

Absolutely shattered. Was tired and cold out last night and then didn’t take anything when I got in so tossed and turned all night. Now I can’t take anything before the anaesthetic - well apart from painkillers and given I have a headache I might go that way!

Had reflexology which was nice but at 9am so not ideal. Then this afternoon was a trip to the prison... good to see him but equally awful. His mum came with me. He was pretty angry about stuff and cuddles definitely came at a price. I was going to go tomorrow but he’s not been allowed an afternoon visit and I can’t do anything the evening before my surgery. I can barely stay up now and the evening visits are later! Feel pretty upset, but it was always going to be upsetting.

Tomorrow I just need to pack my bag, do a few chores like post office and then early to bed with lots of water and then off we go again for round two. At least I can try and sleep after the op but I’ll have a drain in so I hope I can manage it!

Highlighted

Hi SusieB, 

no hair loss on T for me. It actually started to grow back.

I wore a scarf tied as a wide headband for my trip to London today. I also wore a lovely navy suit bought in the sale last summer specifically for travel. Wore it for the first time today with my dark glasses ( no eyelashes still). Was quite pleased with my ‘look’ Which lasted all day ....until I decided to walk back from Tate Britain to Victoria Train Station where the wind wipped my scarf off my head and I had to chase it along the pavement. It ended up around the ankle of a woman who was about to cross the road at the traffic lights.

This is my silk crinkle scarf 😬 which I love. Anyway, I managed to tie it back on and acted as if nothing had happened 😂. 

Kids are back tomorrow.

Next exhibition at Tate Britain is ‘William Blake ‘, plan to get there in September.

MBJ

Hi Susie B

Left Bundle Branch Block is where there is a blockage in the left ventricle of the heart to do with the electrical impulse that makes our heart beat regularly. So that's probably why I have been having palpitations. May be nothing to worry about but they have to investigate for any possible underlying cause. One thing after another. 

Hi Marlyn

Thanks for making me laugh, again🤣🤣🤣. I must admit I did a second take at  'Left bundle  branch block'. Makes you wonder what this chemo does to our brains. Sorry the blood they managed to squeeze out of you was no good. Mind you all can think of now is clotted cream☺.

As for hospital appts my hospital have just rung to see if I was ok as I hadn't turned up for my PICC care. It comes to something when I have to inform that that it's tomorrow along with my bloods and onco appt. Shouldn't complain as the unit is fantastic.   . 

Hi everyone 

MBJ, you certainly are going through it at the moment. What on earth is Left Bundle Branch Block, if you mind me asking?  How Is the monitor attached to you? It all seems never ending. Sending you hugs❤❤❤❤ and hope they can establish what's going on soonest.

Oh Marlyn how awful for you to be treated in such a way especially when your sudden movement was totally involuntary. It's times like that when I'm grateful that my onco insisted on me having a PICC line.

Rosina and Implausible how I miss just being able to pop up to London for the day. Growing up just outside Southampton a family day out there was easy and it my late teens it was easy for me and Paul to meet up when he joined the RAF. We lived in Basingstoke during the 90's but couldn't really go then due to the very welcome but unexpected arrival of our son. Now it's a 2 1/2hr, stop at nearly every station, journey🚄🚄🚉. So when we go to London we stop over for a couple of nights.

Trixielady,  looked up Cal Bona as I recognised the name but couldn't remember where from. Now I know, it's the next resort from where we went many years ago on our first really short notice holiday which we booked less than a week before departure. It still seems like a relaxing resort to visit🏖🏖. 

Edinbird, I know your surgery is still a couple of days away but I just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you. I'm at the hospital tomorrow for bloods, PICC care and oncologist appointment so a busy day ahead. I'm sure Missy will be looking over you. Take care xxx  

Sonia28, I hope those teenagers aren't running you ragged during the school holidays.

Before I go can I ask those if you who cold-capped did you continue to lose hair when having T? I was going to leave my '3 different lengths' until after chemo has finished but thinking about getting the short, pixie look before then. My original hair is sticking out all over the place because of the short hair growing beneath it, if you get what I mean.

Hope you're ok Ocean21 and Deano. I think I've mentioned everyone in my recent posts. Apologies if I haven't. Blame chemo brain. Talking of I which turned on the gas ring to heat the water for pasta last night. After a while hubby pointed a ring and asked why it was on. I'd lit the front one on, not the back one with the pan on it. Doh😩😩🤤☹

MBJ

Hi Marlyn

Sometimes things are so frustrating. Yesterday when I called in to chemotherapy to ask about my bone infusion they told me it was for Tomorrow. Well since I have not had a letter about it I had no idea also I will need bloods done before anyway. So now waiting for a new appointment! We are juggling so many balls at the moment just to make sure we get what we need. Why am I not surprised to read how did the phlebotomist was to you after my hospital experience nothing surprises me. But I have to say today everyone was very good and pleasant.