Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Thankyou 🤞🏻 I didn’t think I would feel this nervous about it. Xxx

Hi Rosina,

what a valentine day eh? Have you had your pre chemo assessment yet? I will be on fec....are you the same? I love that a lady on this thread went to a subway for something to eat after chemo.....I want to be just like her xxx

Hi mjb,

i know exactly what you mean! I am bricking it but just want to get started, I feel the sooner I crack on the sooner it will be over.....i am already picturing myself ringing the end bell! Lol...xx

Hi seaside,

i will be on fec.....and probably staying on it for 4 to 6 sessions....then herceptin....got my pre chemo assessment next wed......what are you on? 

xxx 

Hi seaside sar, love that you went shopping with a scarf around your mouth....this is exactly what I shall be doing. How were you after your first session? I apologise if you've already mentioned this but I am new here and still getting to grips with the forum xxx

Hi, great tips there, thank you. Especially the bicarbonate one, better stock up....xxx

Hi Stargazer1

Posting this now while I remember! Good luck for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. When you feel up to it, let us know how it all went.

Take care and big hugs to you.

MBJ

Hi Stargazer1

Sorry your wig shopping was not a success. I have bought one in a salon a few weeks ago but I have also bought one on line from simply wigs.co.uk. it is heat resistant so can be styled with straightners or heated rollers. The only hurdle is choosing the colour from a small Swatch. I sent the first one back as the roots were too dark but the second one was lighter. Here is a photo. ITS NOT ME I AM OLD ENOUGH TO BE THE MODEL'S MOTHRR OR EVRR HER GRANDMOTHER 😂. It's a bit of the unknown when venturing into wig shopping but I felt a bit more confident after I had been to a salon. Good luck. Hope this is helpful. 655bac2854c3fc5775f8845f3d8a720c.jpg

Hi Marilyn,

I start on Valentine’s Day too with my Chemotherapy.

This group is very friendly and supportive.

I have picked up a number of tips.

Good Luck and I will be thinking of you 🐬

Rosina

MBJ

Hi Marilyn

Welcome to the February girls. I am yet to start chemo too my date is the 20th February I am really fed up of waiting but at the same time scared to start. Some of the ladies had their first session this week and seem to be  doing really well. 

Hi Lyn

Welcome to the group! Everyone is so friendly and supportive on here, I'm sure you'll pick up lots of great advice - I know I have.

Have fun with the wigs tomorrow. I went this week and strangely enjoyed it. I haven't ordered one yet but the salon were great and said they can get anything in within 48 hours so no need to rush.

Do you know which chemo drugs you're having?

Good luck with it all and keep in touch to let us know how it's all going.

Hi Trixielady,

Good to hear you've been out today and even having a Subway, yum! I popped out to the supermarket after a 2 hour nap this afternoon! It was funny because I was so paranoid about germs that I was covering my face with my scarf. I must have looked really nutty!

I have decided to eat a jacket potato with cheese this evening and it has literally taken me all day to work out that's what I'm in the mood for. Flavoured water is still going down nicely as are Rich Tea biscuits but sadly not the cuppa to go with them.

Scary to hear about your friend's friend. You're right in that we all need to take care.

My next session is on the 26th February. Doesn't seem far enough away. When is yours?

Hi, my name is Lyn and I will be starting chemo next Thursday....eek! It's all so very overwhelming isn't it? Getting my wig fitted tomorrow....will be on this thread loads for info, support and comfort...xxx

Hi Seaside Sar

Thankyou for your reply. The nerves are kicking in now & it’s so comforting to hear everyone’s positive experiences. I am always sick after anaesthetic hopefully this won’t be the case tomorrow. I went off coffee after both my ops & tastebuds are only now returning to normal unfortunately it hasn’t stopped me eating & ive been piling on the pounds 🙁 

Hope you manage to enjoy your tea. Look after yourself xx

Hi Holeinone, many thanks for your tips and advice, I will certainly be doing those tomorrow. 🤞🏻Xxx

Hi Trixielady 

I’m so impressed you felt well enough to go out today that’s great news. You had a subway!! Wow! I wasn’t sure about eating takeaways & eating out that’s made me feel so much better about the next few weeks/months.

My wig shopping wasn’t very successful today 🙁 I’m going to try again soon Look after yourself xxxx

MBJ

Hi Trixielady

You seem to be doing really well after the first chemotherapy session. I am really impressed that you have been out and indeed that you felt like eating.  Makes me feel a bit less fearful. I hope things keep improving. 

Hi Seaside sar, think I got mixed up please read stargazer1 reply xx take care 

Hello stargazer1, it's so strange how different it is for all of us but that coz we are all different but it's nice to hear what possibly could happen. I'm trying to drink plenty, my taste bubs are OK at the moment. Been out for a couple of hours had a sub way. Not to scare anyone but met an friend  who said her friend had gone home after her chemo and started decorating and had a stroke 34 years old so please be careful everyone I know we're all different ages and different health issues but we're no long wounder women xx Stargazer1 when's your next session ? 

Hi ladies

I'm from the November chemo group and am now on Docetaxol following 3 x FEC, and thought I would share a couple of what I hope are mouth saving tips with you for those of you on FEC.

After my first FEC I had really skewed taste buds, awful, (couldn't drink tea, how bad is that!!) but on my second FEC I had a chewy mint whilst the chemo was being administered and had no further problems with FEC and taste (T is another issue!). Seems a strong taste in your mouth during infusions of FEC does the trick!  If you are going to have sweets just let the nurse know you have something in your mouth in case you feel unwell (possible choking hazard if you do become ill).

Secondly, my onc told me to use bicarb as a mouth rinse if I had any soreness issues, so I bought myself baking soda toothpaste too (arm and hammer from a pound shop) which is bicarb, and along with my soft tooth brush and a gentle tongue brushing with each tooth brushing, I had no soreness or furry tongue with FEC.  Also, I found a normal toothpaste tasted really odd and chemically so the baking soda one was much nicer to use.

Now I am on the T part of my chemo, these tips no longer work but I hope they do for those of you on FEC.

Good luck on this stage of your journey ladies and I hope you have minimal side effects xx

Hi Stargazer1,

I had a bowl of cornflakes before I went in yesterday, which turned out to be a good thing as they gave me some steroids when I got there. The nurse said steroids can upset your tummy and should be taken with or after food. 

I felt nauseous all evening and during the night but I haven't been sick. I did get 3 sorts of anti-sickness meds which seem to get rid of the yucky feeling whenever I take them.

Taste buds are already playing up - having a nightmare deciding what to eat this evening. Have gone off tea and coffee as well. I really fancy fruit juice and flavoured water instead. Smells are causing a problem too. Anything strong and I'm having to cover my nose - even if they are nice smells!

Hope that helps, but of course everyone will have different experiences.

Morning ladies, I'm trying to find out if you have already started chemo, did you side effects last for one day or have you been experiencing them daily ? Coz I don't want to speak to soon but I'm feeling great at the moment and thinking about head off out for a while in the car and don't want any nasty surprises xx any advice would be much appreciated xx Sorry started on Fec 4th Feb 

Morning Stargazer1, I fasted the day before and up until my iv started,, I appeared to have the text book sickness 5 hours afterwards to the exact time 5 hours later finished at 2pm sick from 7pm stopped at 12 pm straight off to sleep couldn't believe it xx when's yours again how are you managing? 

Morning SeasideSar

How are you feeling this morning? Can I ask did you eat before you went?xxx

Morning Trixielady

How are you feeling this morning? I hope the sickness has subsided 😘😘

MBJ

Hello Ally2019

I know you will find lots of help and support here. You are now part of the February gang. I am also waiting to start chemo in a few weeks. I have already had surgery, and have recovered well from it. Hope to see you on here again. 

Thank you for your advice, once I start my chemo. I may come back with questions x 

Hey,

Advice for the cold cap. Wash your hair as soon as you get home. I ended up with a massive knot I had cut out as my hair was coming out and I was told to leave it a few days before washing it by the hospital. Comb it twice a day. I used an afro comb. If you are told you have lost too much hair ask for a paper theatre cap and use that under the cold cap. I lost some at the top and back but it grew back faster by using the cold cap. I used headbands for a while. My hair is still short, grey and curly but am looking forward to having highlights soon as it is 6 months nearly since finishing chemo. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I used a Silke at night but also got some silk pillowcases. Take paracetamol before putting on the cold cap which I wasn't told to do. I used Palmers shampoo and conditioner and joined a facebook group to get advice too. Good luck.x I was on the May 2018 thread and we keep in touch still on a private facebook group with the intention of meeting up when we have all finished treatment.

Seaside star, very happy for you, everything will go great, I am sure. Hugs

Hi Seaside sar  glad to hear you're  1st experience was OK  it's different for all of us isn't,  I had Netupitant/Palonosetron (anti sickness) given an hour before chemo lasting for five days before apparently being able to have metoclopramide if still needed but if sickness continues I'll ring them, Tonight my face is beatrout read and hot, head feels heavy but apart from that hopefully all OK, got worried last night just before 7pm temp hit 37.4 but then sickness started and it went down, take it easy tomorrow xx I had 5FU  , epirubicin not nice worrying due to possibly leakages, cycloposphamide  and docetaxel  I believe in my session xx wee was pinkish for a while 

MBJ

Hi Seaside Sa

I am pleased to hear your day was a positive one. It's comforting to hear you were well looked after. I will certainly be taking some home comforts with me like a blanket and slippers.

On a more vain note I have just had my eyebrows re microbladed, although I did need written permission from the BC nurse! Certainly not in control of my body anymore. 

I hope you have a reasonable night and get some rest. X

Thank you Seaside Sar for your account. I am going to increase my meditation practice as I am not looking forward to any of this. I will take a blanket and my slippers as you suggest. I hope to listen to music and podcasts. I am in awe of you. 

Best wishes,

Rosina🌺🌸🌼

Hello lovely ladies,

Thank you for your kind messages. I am home now and feeling pretty jaded. The nurse said I probably wouldn't have any side effects for a few days but it feels like they're starting already. Luckily I have a selection of anti-sickness meds to take as well as steroids which will send me a bit crazy! Here's to a long night ahead with little sleep!

My first impressions of chemo itself - it was fairly quick and relatively painless. The nurse sat with me for all 5 injections and made sure my arm didn't get too cold by using a heated pillow. I was offered hot drinks, sandwiches, juice and crisps. I think I was lucky as it depends on the number of volunteers they have in the unit as to how effcient the drinks service is, although they did say there is a kitchen where you can help yourself.

Cold cap - getting the cap to sit correctly over my scalp was tricky and the pulling which ensued gave me a headache before the machine was even turned on. The coldness was uncomfortable but more than anything, I found it stung a fair bit. I did have a smashing headache by the end and was glad when the cap was removed. I ended up with icicles on my head so I was pleased I had brought my woolly hat to wear on the way home. Funnily enough, my head quickly became quite hot and the headache magically disappeared.

Trixylady, I'm sorry to hear you've suffered with sickness. Have you got plenty of anti-sickness meds? If they're not working, ask for different ones as they would give you something else if necessary.

Good luck to all of you with upcoming treatment. You can do this. Just make sure you take a few home comforts with you - I took slippers and a blanket which kept me cosy. Also, take something to keep you distracted. For me it was a puzzle book which kept my husband and me entertained. What with my fuzzy brain and his dodgy spelling, we actually ended up in hysterics. Not too sure how the other patients felt about that but they didn't seem to mind too much.

Big hugs to you all.

Thankyou Neecy, the nerves are kicking in now. Xx

Yayyyyyyy Go Yrixielady, go!!!!! So glad to hear of this, everything will be OK, you will see!!!!

MBJ

Good Morning Trixielady

I am so pleased your chemo experience was a positive one. Sorry you were so Sick, what antiemetic did they give you. Reading all the threads it seems that Emend is the gold standard. I can imahini me fasting too but probably not out of choice I can never eat when is am worried and stressed. Rest up now and get over this first cycle. Take care x

Morning Stargazer1, I painted my nails a dark purple, wigs in ready for a week on Wednesday as nurse says it will start coming out then, can't decide whether to shave it ASAP when it starts.I did Fast for the day before and drank plenty nurse said to drink 2 litres a day of which I find difficult.big hugs Thursday will soon be here , don't stop enjoying the days in between, have fun with wig shopping tomorrow xx

Morning Trixie, glad it went well yesterday  and hope you have the sickness under control now. Good luck for Thursday Stargazer x

Thanks Jencat, it went well until 7pm last night but days another day, I had Cold Feet playing in the back ground last night and my ears prick up whilst throwing up, it was about a breast cancer diagnosis. I eventually stopped being sick at 12. Hope you OK? Xx

Morning Trixielady, I'm so glad your chemo went ok yesterday and thank you for your kind message. I've replied to you on the Oct '18 thread x

Morning Trixielady

I was so glad to see your post to SeasideSar and that yesterday went well for you. I’m hanging on to every positive post. I’m doing final preparations ready for Thursday, I am so nervous 😬. I had a scan yesterday, having nails painted today a dark colour & wig shopping tomorrow and then it will be ‘C’ day. Like you I will be counting down the weeks. Xxx

Morning Stargazer1, how it going with you? Xx

Morning Seaside Sar good luck for today, I found the whole procedure pleasant appointment was 11.30am got seen at 12 pm all finished by 2pm enjoyed my soup & sandwich provided.They are brilliant double checked all mediation to be used  Nurse sat with me during epirubicin, otherwise no worries 5FU  cycloposphamide and docetaxel went it pretty quick  sat talking to my hubby & mam, I was given injection to take home and start on Wednesday for 7 days to apparently help raise my white blood cells, steroids to be taken twice today, prepare yourself to be feeling sickly about 5 hours after treatment doesn't happen to all but it definitely did to me but I was OK by 12pm and able to have some sleep xx 1 down 5 to go, be smiles you can do it xx

Hi SeasideSar

Best wishes for today. Hope it all goes well for you. I’ll be thinking of you xx

‘Mildred goes to war’ is my favourite bit. It is so short ( half way through where the music has more ‘punch’ ) don’t know why they didn’t make this section longer. 

Actually the soundtrack to the film ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri’ is quite amazing. I have watched the film twice.

Hi Sonia28

It’s a tough time isn’t it? I am a mum of 4 girls, 30, twins 19 and 15, they have been marvellous through all this as has my husband but I can’t help feeling guilty that I’m putting them all through this.

I start my chemo on Thursday and am going to try and use the cold cap too. I’ve been looking for tips on the forums about using it. I can’t seem to find out if it’s advisable to wear a sleep cap when using the cold cap. I also have a wig appointment on Wednesday. Xx

To all the ladies about to start chemo: you got this and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

You are all immensely brave!

Hi all,

I also start chemo on Wednesday. It's great to read everyones thoughts and feeling, it makes me feel that mine are normal.

I usually work with the health visitors as a Family Health Worker, and I was doing a uni course which has had to go on hold, but I am even more determained to finish it than I was before. Im a mum to 3 children 19,16, and 14. I'm keeping busy running around after them. 

I'm planning to try the cold cap, so any tips will be greatfully recieved.

Seaside sar, thanks hun enjoy trying on wigs, my first time was difficult should have embraced it not worried about what was to come but the second time was funny and my friend asked all the questions before I even got the chance to think ie: washing  styling, what happens if it get wet in the rain, how to dry it, what kind of brush, can you stick it to your head if it's windy, how will wearing a hat affect it. I finally chose a wig from Hothair called infinity shoulder length & straight in a brown and was so pleased my son thought I'd just had my hair done xx

Thanks Rosina, how beautiful and relaxing xx will have to remember my ear phones & phone charger xx