cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Highlighted

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Hi Everyone, 

I'm starting chemo on Valentine's Day - so romantic - and would like to join this group, but do I have to subscribe or can I just use the Reply button to join the chat - already confused, ha. 

Many thanks, 

Clare. 

Highlighted

Hi Rosina, well done on your determination - just one word of caution, soy contains phytoestrogens so if you have an ER+ cancer it is not advisable to have too much.

With regard to dry mouth I found pineapple is really helpful as it contains an enzyme that causes your mouth to water. I love fresh, but tinned works too and I also made ice lollies with pineapple juice x

Highlighted

Hi Sonia28,

sorry to hear your not well, just make sure your checking your temperature and definitely before taking paracetamol, keep drinking plenty of water it helps with the headache and keep your head warm. I've been having ice lollies to help with my mouth & throat xx  My first Fec was a week today, lost all my energy for a short time this morning. I had been feeling fantastic and tried to change our bedding, put some washing in, do some ironing but ended up as a heep on the floor xx

Highlighted

Hi sonia,

sorry to hear this.....I will be having my first fec on Thursday.

the nurse did tell me though not to take paracetamol as it may disguise a temperature? If you still feel rough you need to call your " hot line" to be on the safe side....let me know how it goes? Xx

Highlighted

Hi Sonia 28

I think if you don't feel well then you should ring again for advice. Hope you feel better soon. X

Highlighted

Hi all after a bit of advice,

I had my first session of FEC last Wednesday, I was doing really well, just the nausea due to smells and tiredness, but Saturday started to feel a bit coldly. I had a slight temp yesterday so had to go to the hospital for precautionary mesaure, the gave me IV antibotics but my bloods were okay, so I was allowed home to rest up. Today My head is killing and the chesty cough is exhausting me, ive taken some paracetmol any other bright ideas to help me feel slightly better.

Highlighted

Thanks so much DiKat. I will get some Difflam and gelclair today. I have been using biotene but I'm struggling with the flavour. I seem to be sensitive to most flavours at the moment! Luckily, I am a gum chewer so I will continue to do that as well. 

Thanks again for your help. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Seaside Sar

I suffer terribly with dry mouth. I have found biotene toothpaste and mouthwash are helpful and chewing sugar free gum. Also give your mouth a good swill each time you eat anything. If the patches start to become sore or inflamed you might need a stronger mouthwash such as Difflam which your unit can provide. Also, there are sachets called gelclair which are great to use an hour before eating. They coat your mouth. If you start to notice any white patches(thrush), don’t delay, get straight into your unit or GP for a prescription. You are doing fantastic! Good Luck x

Highlighted

Good morning

I am now on day 7 after my first FEC session and can honestly say this is the best I've felt since starting treatment. It hasn't been plain sailing by any means but I feel I'm over the sicky part at least! One problem though, I have developed some very dry patches in my mouth and I'm keen to deal with them before they turn into anything nastier. Has anyone got any good remedies I could try?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi Marlyn,

Good luck for 14th xx

Highlighted

Hi Rosina,Good luck for 14th and well done but don't over do it, pleased to hear your doing well. I had a skin sparing mastectomy 13th November and then full node clearance on 13th December. I'm doing very well too I enjoyed a few weeks of leisurely swimming before starting chemo  Fec on 4th February. I'm happy to say apart from the actual day of chemo the last week has been ok but not exactly a walk in the park , I started on WBC injection on Wednesday and had discomfort in my arm and boob most nights since starting the injection, I tried to start some form of exercise but unfortunately or luckily my body started talking to me, we're never to sure of the side effects, take care will be thinking about you xx

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn

I am having EC.

I have upped my fruit and veg intake. I am juicing, I am drinking soya milk ( dairy has been reduced to feta cheese or goats cheese). I am adding flaxseed ( 1 tablespoon daily) to my porridge. I am also learning how to de stress and relax.

I have currently discovered Yoga Nidra meditations. Lots on YouTube.

Love for now 

Rosina

Highlighted

Hi rosina,

my first session is also Thursday eek! I am on fec....what you having? Would love to know how you get on? Good luck xxxx

Highlighted

Hi there ladies, 

just to say I had a lumpectomy in November and a complete lymph node clearance on December 13th.

I went for a swim today and I am chuffed to say that I did 22 laps. My left arm is now the stronger ( I did get cording in my right arm) but due to the post op arm exercises ( which I did religiously) I now have full mobility in my right arm. Keep doing those exercises and keep walking. I won’t be swimming during chemotherapy ( first dose on the 14th) but I am determined to heal my body. It requires discipline but it is possible. 

Love to all

Rosina

Highlighted

Hi Sonia28

Thanks for this it's reassuring. I don't think the cold cap will catch on as a wedding accessory. I think the icicles on head need to be covered with a warm hat 😱

Highlighted

emend isn't a steroid, it's a very expensive antiemetic and definitely worth it if you are having FEC

Highlighted

I used the cold cap this week, i was dreading it as I hate the cold. It was uncomforatble for a few minutes but not painful as  I thought it would be. Hopefully it will work in some degree, but I up for trying anything once, but feel i can carry it on now, I think the most uncomfortable bit was the chin strap. You do end up with a very intresting style to leave hospital so i suggest a hat 🙂 

Highlighted

@Marlyn wrote:

that bloody robot needs a re..boot....up the bum! 

Hahahahaha so totally agreeSmiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Marilyn what with electric chairs and public hangings we are doing well. 😂😂

Highlighted

Hi mjb,

that bloody robot needs a re..boot....up the bum! 

Good luck with the cap....you will have to let me know how you get on with it.

I am a warden in a residential home for the elderly, and they are curious wee beggars, wanting to know if I will let them see me bald head!! What's that all about??? They have already had me parading about in me wig and turban! Bet they would have attended hangings in medieval times...

I thank god I found this forum.......it's kept me sane xxx

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn

I just wrote you a nice long reply and the damn robot got me again. Post gone to the ether. I have quite long hair and at 65 I am a rebel. My change of heart about the cold cap is as follows - we built a new house last year it's very modern with a double height window which covers most of the front. It's also open plan so with a huge window and no walls there is nowhere to hide. People wave as they pass the drive so you have to be careful not to be picking your nose at the time😁. So I thought first of all cold cap no thanks but now ( too much time to make decisions) I am going to try and believe me it will be a try. I will cut my hair short I am planing on the Helen Mirren look. I thought then I could walk around my goldfish bowl house without a wig (house is very warm all our money went on insulation) or chemo hat . But if I hate the cold cap then I will have to wave to the neighbours bald and proud. Now to tackle the bloody robot. 

Highlighted

Hi Marlyn

Ahh, don't worry about the slightly different chemo regimes, they are all geared around our own specific needs. I am now on Herceptin which they introduce with T if you have it. I'm not sure if they will wait for you to finish FEC before you start on Herceptin, but you will be getting chemo tailored specifically to you. 

I don't think emend is a steroid, although you will get some of those too, not many if you are not on T, I'm pumped at the mo but to be honest it's done nothing for my track and field times!

Go girl with your bowl of fruit, just make sure you eat some of it to keep your roughage up Smiley LOLHeart

xx

Highlighted

Thank you holeinone! Some good advice there, I will take heed....

Had my lumpectomy jan 3rd.....will also need herceptin.. oncologist said I will only be on fec.....( not sure if that's a good thing or not) 

i will defo be mentioning emend....is this a steroid? 

Aready got me sleep cap cap ready in bed side drawer....along with a carmen Miranda turban ( all I need is a bowl of fruit on top of it) 

oh yes, I will be sure to post my experience......watch this space!! Xx

Highlighted

Hi Marlyn

I think dark humour is a requirement for chemo, anything to get you through!

I had three FEC and am down to my last of three T, already had lumpectomy. Is this what you are having?

I had no major mouth issues on FEC, but I did use baking soda toothpaste and a baby soft toothbrush, also brush your tongue as this helps to stop it coating with fur Smiley Surprised

My chemo regime was Thursdays too. First chemo please drink plenty the day before and day of and for the next week, helps to plump veins and flush you out after.  I'm afraid the first week after my first chemo I woke every night sweating profusely and crawling to the loo to pee. Then went back to bed with more water inside me as I was so dehydrated I was guzzling it from the bathroom taps. Have a bottle of water by your bed. I had chemo brain too, totally didn't know where I was, still quite foggy tbh!

Bowels, I was quite clogged up on FEC, but I'm an anxious person so it's not unusual for me. I was given senna, but possibly needed something stronger. I've found it worse on T and have another drug now to soften everything up as not going to the loo for three days at a time is very uncomfortable!

Sickness was not an issue for me, I was given emend to take day of chemo and two days after, this is for FEC only though. If you don't get given emend and are sick then ask for it, it is the gold standard anti sickness med.  I took only basic meds after the three days following chemo as I found I was coping quite well by then. 

With FEC I picked up after a week and found the second one much more manageable, third one was tough though as this is when you get the culmulative effect of the drug build up. This is just my reactions though, some lucky ladies sail through chemo and maybe you will be one Smiley Happy 

You will need a sleep hat if you lose your hair, the nights are cold and your head freezes! I bought a cheap thin beanie from ebay for about £2.50 delivered. I also found a lovely long silk scarf in a charity shop for less than £1, which I occasionally wear around the house, a bit 70's but there you go.

Just noticed Marlyn that you are veggie and teetotal, I'm not a great meat eater, slim and fit for 50, non smoking and virtually teetotal (certainly less than the 5 units a week that they recommend you stay under if you have had cancer) , we are not a great advert for healthy living! 

Good luck with your first chemo, I will be popping back to see how you are getting on xx

Highlighted

Mjb 

its my dark humour that's seeing me through this! The darker the better for me! 

I am a vegetarian too, and a non smoker and a teetotal! Look where that got me...I know what you mean about the chemo envy, it's just we know it's coming...there's no avoiding it...the sooner we get on that road the sooner it will be over...

Cold capping?? Not on your nelly! My brain will freeze solid and never thaw out, I will be forever frozen......with a migraine and will possibly have to be hospitalised with that too.....

you cold capping??? Xx

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn oh you do have a great imagination and sense of humour a bit like mine I think as my family are always telling me I have a black sense of humour. I can't believe that I will feel like a burger king afterwards anyway I am a vegetarian and the takeaway would probably kill me anyway 🤑 never mind the chemo! 

Mine does not start until the 20th February I feel as if I have been waiting for ever. The more time we have the more our imagination takes hold. I am getting serious chemo envy when the others on here have got through their first one. I can't wait to here how your eyeballs are after Thursday. Seriously good luck. Are you cold capping?

Highlighted

Hi mjb,

oh I love the electric chair scenario, yep that's me....having my last good meal then being led to " the chair " eek!!! 

My my imagination knows no bounds. And your epi pen thing! Crikey yes! An innocent tuna butty could have seen you off......when is it your chemo starts? Mine is Thursday....hanging over me like a black cloud...a friend of mine had her chemo last Friday and I couldn't believe it when she was messaging me throughout! Again in my head I am sat there frozen to the chair ( with eyeballs melting of course) teeth clenched unable to move a muscle!!! ( told you I had an imagination) what impressed me even further is that she went to Burger King straight after!!?? I am imagining myself being carried out wrapped up ( with a face mask) with hubby shouting " keep away...chemo patient coming through ....stand clear" 

well....if I imagine the worse......lol xx

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn

Well you have just made me smile with a picture of bursting eye balls and being carried to the car. I feel the same fear I think I am going to the electric chair!! 

Oh and listen to this three years ago I went all dolled up to a 40th birthday party my son in law's brothers party. Everything was in full swing music dancing alcohol. Then the BUFFET. comes out. My husband said oh you are eating are you (I was a strict Slimming World girl at the time). I ate two sandwiches Tuna and a vegetarian one and promptly had an Anaphylactic shock. Full blown our cold waking up to the paramedics. Dress up to my knickers as you can imagine nobody was thinking of my modesty. So I now have to carry two EpiPen's where ever I go. It's made a massive change to my life and eating out is a nightmare. So I am thinking if THAT can happen with two sandwiches how the hell am I going to react to Chemotherapy. 

Melting eye balls here I come! 

Seriously our fears are not irrational but the fear of the unknown and how each of us will react. I am really afraid of going into hospital (although I was a nurse). Mainly because I cared for and visited my mother in law last year on the ward I would now be going to, that for me is terrifying. 

On a lighter note I am sitting here all wigged up doing a video to send to my daughter in Abu Dhabi hope she approves. 

Highlighted

Hello holeinone 

Thank you so much for popping in, it helps so much! I have my first chemo of fec on Thursday, and in my head I am imagining my eyeballs melting and having to be carried to the car! 

I have stocked up on lotions and potions and intend on slathering myself from head to toe...lol

I am worried about the sickness , sore mouth and bowel problems ( isn't everyone) if you have any tips I would love to hear them. So you have one session left? How has the whole thing been for you? Did your chemo drugs change along the way? 

Sorry to bombard you...xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies

I'm from the November chemo thread and just wanted to pop in and wish you all well on this stage of your treatment.

I attempted the cold cap on my first chemo, but found it incredibly uncomfortable and as soon as the machine was switched on it was icy cold and the part touching my forehead caused instant migraine, despite me having taken painkillers beforehand. I wish I had known about headbands etc as the cap really should not be touching your skin, but I didn't do enough research. Also, if you wear glasses you may find it really difficult to get them on with the cold cap strapped on, so you feel quite isolated not being able to see properly!  I kind of wished I had given it a go for one whole session but chemo isn't something you get training for so no-one really knows what to expect.  

My hair fell out from day 14 of first chemo to a couple of days after second chemo (I had chemo every three weeks, one to go!) and I chose to brush it not shave, it just came out on the brush, then I trimmed stragglers to fit under my wig. I had very little scalp irritation warning me the hair was coming out so you may not be affected in that way. Now I have three lengths of hair, the long stragglers that refuse to fall out, about half a cm of downy fine hair from the end of FEC, and my latest lot which are 2mm long and my own dark brown.

Don't worry about focussing on trivial things like hair and nails, it's good to do this, anything to take your mind off side effects, I am watching my hair grow daily now and each mm gives me a good feeling, OK, it's a bit like watching paint dry but the thought that my hair is actually growing is great Smiley Happy Nails too, when I'm wiped out and on the sofa it feels good to grab my nail cream and massage my nails and cuticles, I feel I'm making an effort to help my body through this.

Do whatever you feel able to do and what makes you happy/comfortable through this stage of your BC journey.

You can do this ladies xx 

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn yes I agree there are more important btjings to worry about. But I think filling my head with worries about trivia like hair, nails keeps me from from drowning in fear. 

Highlighted

Mjb. Totally get what you mean when you said you had lost interest in your hair, I feel exactly the same way, I was a hairdresser for many years and my hair my crowning glory.....but in light of what is happening there are more important things to worry about...

oh oh and yes....the blimmin robot thing! Every time!! Xx

Highlighted

Thanks Sadie Sa I will ring my unit as I have no idea how many they have there. Yes 90 mins longer is a bit of a pain but hopefully it will be worth it. This is my second time of writing this as the last one disappeared. I am fed up of the robot thing🤖🤖🤖🤖

Highlighted

Hi Marilyn

Thanks for your reply. I have got a lovely wig too and another one on the way. So I am not unhappy about wearing them. Indeed I have lost interest in my hair which has always been a source of pride to me. I think it's because I know it will be gone in less than two weeks. I was going to brave the shave and still might. But I think I will give the cold cap a chance and see if I can tolerate it. What have I got to loose hey only an extra inch of hair. I will look at the Victoria Darbyshire video now. I had no idea she had had cancer. Oh I am fed up of not being a robot. 🤖🤖🤖

Highlighted

Hi

The cold cap has to be on for 30 minutes before the infusion and then a further 90 minutes afterwards. That bit was harder as I couldn't help thinking I could be going home by now if it wasn't for the cold cap. Luckily, I got given some lunch which passed the time.

I had booked the cold cap in advance for my first one but they said in future I can change my mind on the day.

I would phone them if I were you as there seem to be differences between hospitals as well as nurses. My BC nurse and onco were very positive about giving cold capping a try but the nurse who did my treatment was quite negative, which was a shame. I'm glad I stuck with it though.

Highlighted

Hi Seaside Sa

Thanks for your reply it's very helpful. Can you tell me how much longer you were in the unit because of the cold cap. Is it about 40 mins before chemo and an hour after. Also were you able to decide on the day? I am thinking of ringing the unit to see if they need to know before hand. Thanks again. 

Highlighted

Hi MBJ

It is a toughie with the whole cold capping thing, isn't it? I had my hair cut from past my shoulders to a chin length bob which was suggested by the BC nurse as it would be easier to manage. She also recommended Simple shampoo as it has the right ph, and generally try to leave it a week at a time between washes.

I gave the cold cap  a go this week as I felt if I didn't try, I would always be asking myself, what if it had worked? Yes, it was very cold at first and I had a headache by the end of it as the painkillers had worn off. But I stuck it out.

I was well prepared: I took 2 paracetamol as I left home, I brought a bottle of conditioner, water spray bottle, soft head band to wear under the cap, hot drink in Thermos cup, cosy blanket and slippers. Oh, and a woolly hat to wear home as I did have icicles on my head! Also, you need a distraction (book, crossword puzzle, music, etc) for the first 15 minutes or so. If you can get through that bit, you should be OK.

I'm on day 3 after chemo so it's too early to tell if it's helped at all. I have been sleeping with a sleep cap to avoid friction of my hair on the pillow but I'm dreading day 14 onwards when hair loss could begin. We shall see.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's a personal choice for everyone, just not an easy decision!

Highlighted

Hi mjb 

a very good question which I have thought about a lot. I watched the Victoria Derbyshire YouTube as she used a cold cap, the whole thing look horrendous and she ended up wearing a wig anyway....

so...I have my wig and turbans and will be braving the shave on Sunday...chemo kicks off next Thursday....I blimmin love my wig so that's made it much easier...

its all so daunting isn't it....xxxxxx

Highlighted

Evening Ladies.

Well the longer I wait for chemo to start the more I think of things to change my mind about. Now I am having second thoughts of not cold capping. I thought I had made my decision but now I am thinking of cutting my hair short (at the moment it's medium but with long layers) my hair is very thick and certainly I would look a fright if I kept it long and was unable to style it with heat. I have been thinking that if I cut it short then the cold cap might just work more evenly. Then at least I would have some hair to go wigless around the house. I don't think I could go out with it short as my roots would be grey with blonde tips 😱. Any of you used the cap this week if so can you tell me what it was like. I think focussing on practical things takes my mind of the bigger picture. Thanks in advance girls. You have all done so well this week. 

Highlighted

Hi Bescann, 

How are you? I wrote a whole paragraph but it didn’t verify 🙈and deleted. 

I feel a lot better since writing that post! Ha ha, I went to the hospital and got told my treatment plan. I will have chemotherapy for 6 months and then surgery, but it is still unclear with what that will look like. As my biopsy results are back next week. So, I’m meeting with my doctor for them. 

My oncologist is really nice, she treated my dad too, he had prostrate cancer. On the down note, I’m signed off of work for 3 months and I’ve had to cancel 2 holidays. One, was a big birthday, but the country will be there when I recover from surgery. It’s just disheartening as I had a plan in my head, but I know that this is part of the process. Which I’m embracing 🤗 but have my moments xx 

Thank you for asking how I am xx 

Highlighted

Hi all, regarding jabs I have to start mine the day after chemo. I had 7 after fec but having just had my 1st T have only 5. I take them late in the evening but was advised to take them out of the fridge 20-30 mins before use to reduce any stinging. Interestingly I have blamed them for making me feel fizzy and odd but having noticed that others often start jabs on day 3 decided to do the same this cycle. Woke up this morning fizzing having had no jab - must be the chemo, still have the lovely steroid sunburn glow though😂.  Guess it proves that not only are all the trusts different but so are we with all the different reactions. X

Highlighted

Hello, just thought I would pop in from Oct18 and give you my pearls of wisdom on steroids and wbc injections😂😂

It seems every hospital is different when it come to the number of jabs, I get 10 days! I do the deed at about 6.00 in the evening and can honestly say I haven’t  had any problems what’s so ever in 6 rounds of chemo. So please just do what suits you and once you get used to the actual jab, it doesn’t hurt, but make sure you let the antiseptic wipe dry before you start as it will sting! 

I had terrible bottom problems with my first chemo caused my the steroids making me very constipated and consequently, piles and bleeding! Even ending up in A&E😱!  Sorry for the details, but it’s all part of this horrid journey we are on! So, my lovely oncologist let me off all steroids apart from the actual day of chemo and life has been much better since, so if you are struggling tell your oncologist, they will try to help.

Best wishes to you all.

Hugs

Highlighted

I ate at normal times Trixielady and did my injections at 8pm. It seems to vary how many injections people get. I had 5, some only 3 or 4 I think. I’m ok, but just not been great throughout FEC. I start T 20th Feb! Well done to you, you’re doing really well xx

Highlighted

Thanks Dikat, I'm only getting the steroids the day before and the day after. I thought that the injections might be targeting the worst area's but thought it might have all been in my head but it could be without lymph nodes it's looking for another route once it can't get anywhere maybe. I only have to take them for 7days, see how I feel today day 3 of injection.,think I'll ring the BC Nurse if I feel worse, did you eat before or afterwards and what time of day did you take your injection? Xx How are you feeling now have you started on T yet? Xx big hugs thanks again 

Highlighted

Good Morning Becsann 

I am much better than when I first had surgery. Indeed I can do most things now with no discomfort. I am still glad I had the reconstruction  (although I could have opted for a lumpectomy) once I am wearing a bra you would never tell that one was different than the other. One thing which I found took over my recovery was BRAS. They were the bane of my life. Having to wear a sports bra 24hours a day. The hardest was to find one that was in any way tolerable. I got measured in M and S but the bra was a disaster as it was far too small after surgery due to swelling (which is normal). Go up at least one if not two sizes of underbust measurement. I must have bought 30 bras in about two weeks and sent back about 25. Nice bras came from Wings of Love through Amazon, and more recently now I am in normal bras I use Miss Mary of Sweeden. 

My chemo is starting on the 20th February I am having FEC-T. I think I have had too much time to worry about it really. I think  I am prepared for a nuclear war! Good luck keep well and keep posting. 

Highlighted

Good Morning Becsann 

I am much better than when I first had surgery. Indeed I can do most things now with no discomfort. I am still glad I had the reconstruction  (although I could have opted for a lumpectomy) once I am wearing a bra you would never tell that one was different than the other. One thing which I found took over my recovery was BRAS. They were the bane of my life. Having to wear a sports bra 24hours a day. The hardest was to find one that was in any way tolerable. I got measured in M and S but the bra was a disaster as it was far too small after surgery due to swelling (which is normal). Go up at least one if not two sizes of underbust measurement. I must have bought 30 bras in about two weeks and sent back about 25. Nice bras came from Wings of Love through Amazon, and more recently now I am in normal bras I use Miss Mary of Sweeden. 

My chemo is starting on the 20th February I am having FEC-T. I think I have had too much time to worry about it really. I think  I am prepared for a nuclear war! Good luck keep well and keep posting. 

Highlighted

Hi Ally2019

Thank you and I hope your day went well too xx

How are you feeling today?  xx

Highlighted

Hi MBJ

Glad to hear you are recovering well and I hope the swelling and pain eases for you very soon. You have the first stage of treatment in the bag now so it can only get better for you xx I have been told I will defo have a masectomy and at the moment recon but have to see how chemo goes and if I need radiotherapy. Also am having a gene test shortly so I can make the decision before surgery if I have a double.  We need to be good at filing with all this information! 

I still find it strange that treatment will take me right through to late summer at the earliest. It seems so long away! When is your chemo starting? xx

Highlighted

Hi Trixielady

December DiKat here.

i tend to get pain and discomfort under my arm and in affected boob generally. Woke with it today and it’s day 10 for me and others have said that Onc have said it could be the chemo doing it’s stuff. Only had red face with steroids and guessing you’ve finished them. Don’t be afraid to give your unit a ring if you don’t get any answers. There’s always a possibility of new and different side effects. Will be interesting to see if it happens next time. Good Luck xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, hoping for some advice, I started on the injections for my WBC 3 days after my first chemo and they seem to give me discomfort in my affected arm and boob  also sickly feeling and red face more at night tho? Xx