cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair loss

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Hair loss

@sparkle123

On the subject of Cold Cap.  They had stopped it at my hospital when I started my treatment so for several weeks I just washed my hair in the coldest water I could stand and although it eventually fell out my breast care nurse was surprised how long it stayed.

Fabulous.  Glad you're doing what makes you feel good.  You look great.  I actually got to prefer my wigs to my own hair and am thinking of buying one to go over my hair for when going out in the future, post Covid.

Take care and stay safe.

Mad Sue

I took control and braved the shave last Thursday before it starts to fall out (I am 11days post chemo) and I have donated it to The Little Princess Trust.  It was very liberating and empowering.  I have two wigs, one which is what I aspired my hair to look like and one similar to my own hair.  I have worn both and call them my going out hair and my work hair.  I have also bought, hats, scarfs and headbands and I generally wear them or nothing around the house but sometimes put a cap on as my ears get cold now 😂.  See pic of me and my wigs 😃 xx

944721EB-E48D-49A5-9761-F2C61F021E5A.jpeg

Not sure why it has posted it upside down 🤣

Hi

Not sure if you've made your decision yet but I decided to shave my head, having found loads on the pillow each morning and I'd always wanted a Sinead O'Conner year s ago (unfortunately forgot my hair was grey so it did not look quite the same, lol but I'm glad I did it).  My husband did it for me as my friend is a hairdresser and gave me some hair clippers.  I took my 2nd eldest grandaughter (13 years) with me to help me choose a wig, which she loved doing and it helped her too.  I wore my wig and also put all kinds of bobble hats on when I went out, with my wig fringe sticking out.  Everyone thought my wig was my real hair and I invested in two, one short and silver and one brunette - It's obviously your decision but you may be able to try wigs on before making a definite decision whether to wear one or not (I loved mine so much am actually thinking of buying one for over my own hair for a change, which has grown back thick again).  Sorry if I've rambled on but I hope you are ok and have made your choices. Big Hug.

If you can’t cold cap then shave it. It will fall out on EC! Hugs. 

Hi everyone.

im due to have my second session of EC this Saturday 24th, and over the last couple of days I’ve noticed my hair is falling out at speed. I had it cut a few weeks ago into a short pixie style but am thinking about shaving it all off into a grade 2. What do you think? Part of me feels like I should leave it and let it just fallout just in case I don’t end up losing it all. Usually my hair is pretty thick, and when I had it cut it was the middle of my back. But at the same time, I’m fed up with handfuls of hair everytime I touch my head. The shower yesterday was horrible.

also, my scalp is starting to get sore and tender, can anyone recommend any creams etc I could use please.

I have a decided not to use a wig as I’m more comfortable in a hat. With the weather getting worse I think I will blend in better. My hospital also doesn’t have the cold cap on offer which made the hair situation a little easier for me as I was torn between whether to try it or not after reading other peoples stories.

any help/advice would be great 

kaz x

That looks fab ttyler, it doesn’t look like a wig and on the street I really don’t think anyone would notice.  I love how you have plaited it, I hadn’t thought about doing stuff like that, will definitely give it a go xx

Wow Kitkat23 that is a brave thing to do but I guess with no hairdressers you had little choice.

I have bought a wig in preparation and getting another with my nhs voucher.  I actually enjoyed the wig shop experience and am actually excited to wear my new hair.  

I have decided to keep my hair as it is quite thick so if I don’t loose it all I can do a stylish comb over.  If not I will wear my wig to go out and I have scarfs and hats for indoors.

Thanks for sharing you pic.  An with or without a wig your are beautiful so just do what’s right for you and sod what other people think.

Take care xx

5627A7A0-666D-4E39-A55A-E288A056440A.jpeg

Hi SU

my unit wasn’t doing cold cap either back when I started chemo in July Due to Covid....I was strangely glad as it made the decision for me.....part of me was worried that the chemo wouldn’t work on any cancer cells if I had them in scalp area ( although I know logically that this is the case for other cancers not breast cancer but I worry about everything).  The other part of me desperately wanted to hang on to my hair....but the chemo nurse said only 50% of people keep only 50% of their hair and I always think the odds are going to be against me!  Unfortunately there were no hairdressers open at that time either as lockdown was still in force so I just took the kitchen scissors to my hair at 6 weeks when it started to come out🙄..... I’m 14 weeks into chemo now and hair all gone....but still got brows and lashes and pubic hair....but no arm or leg hair...i think everyone will be slightly different to what they keep/lose.   I start EC this week....so will be interesting to see how this chemo affects hair growth.  
I got a wig from the local wig shop with NHS voucher from hospital but haven’t worn it yet....I feel self conscious in it....I don’t know why??? 😳Although my Eldest grandaughter has played dress up in it! My friend gave me loads of turban and scarfs From when she had treatment last year, and they seem to suit my head better.

i will try to load a picture (if I can !) of my scalped kitchen scissors head so you can be reassured that your new short style will be lovely in comparison! Hope everything goes well for you.

take good care x

Community Champion

0203A584-41F3-48A6-BCBC-3D510188937E.jpeg

7EB3E302-E2A6-4DCC-BB4E-162F4EFCCCA1.jpeg

 for some reason it won’t let me send a pic of how my wig looked originally, but it was from the diamond collection at Trendco. You will see the length if you look online.

The first pic is after the first cut and the last is how it looks now,

Tara x

Community Champion

Hi,

my name is Tara, I have jumped in from the June chemo starters. I wanted to share my experience of wigs.

When I was told I would have chemo I really did not want to loose my hair. I have always taken slot of pride in my locks, washing straightening it etc, however the more I thought about the cold cap the more I began to think I don’t want to stay in hospital longer in treatment days, the thought of being there for chemo for hours was bad enough. I appreciate this is not everyone’s opinion, but I thought I would share mine.

My hair before chemo was blonde and bobbed, however as I was diagnosed in March when covid was at its worst the hospital wig supplier was closed. I did manage to order w wig online from a company called trendco. It is real hair. I ordered a wig that was much longer than my own hair as I thought I would be able to style it better and wear it up. In the end I did not feel like me so had it cut into a bob. What I am trying to say is you can get long wigs and if you are not happy have it cut more like your own hair.

On another note, the only time I have really worn my wig is to go to take my boys to school. At home I prefer to be bald and even go to chemo wearing a cap. Turns out I am more bothered about my teeth becoming discoloured with the mouth wash I used than not having hair! I would never have believed it.

I will send you some pics of how my hair was originally and the different stages of how my wig looked.

Hope this helps

love 💕 Tara xx

F4EE4308-1343-492C-9113-62F10C618AE8.jpeg

 original hair at Christmas party last year

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. I’m not sure what the rationale is for stopping that treatment option. I can’t imagine being in the chemo unit a little longer statistically increases the risk of Covid significantly. If it’s any consolation I didn’t use it with my pervious chemo treatment and my hair grew back slowly but I was still able to go wig free after a few months.

Hi

My hospital isn’t doing cold caps due to COVID 😔

You could consider cold cap. I have used it and don’t find it uncomfortable or painful. It’s a little cold but I don’t mind the cold. I still have some hair left so it has worked to an extent. But others have had more success with it. It might be worth a try.

Hi Jaybro

I start EC chemo on 22nd October and although I have been fine with everything so far, I am now starting to get scared, particularly around loosing my hair.  My plan is to have it all shaved off next week but then there’s part of me thinking it may not be as bad as I think and leave it.  My hair is just passed my shoulders and the thought of loosing it, is really bothering me, I just don’t know what to do.  

I have been thinking if I have it shaved, I can have my own hair made into a wig but then reading posts on here, it seems many people go for a short style.

As you have had the same treatment I am about to start, it would be appreciated it you could share more of your experience and thoughts on my hair dilemma.

Thanks SU

Hi Jaybro

im on paclitaxe herceptin and zometa

I'm HER2 positive 

i think I'm going to keep my hair short from on people said that it 

suits me and this is from people that have no idea that I'm having chemo 

all the best 

Hi Cecilia

Shaving your hair off (or in my case opting for a number 6 and treating my head very carefully) is a great way of taking control at a time when there aren’t so many things within your control, especially this year.  You didn’t say what chemo you’re having but my hair started sliding out by the end of the first cycle of EC. However, though I was told I would definitely lose it all when I moved onto paclitaxel, it held out to the very end. And what a delight you have in store for you within a few weeks of ending chemo - the softest cap of hair you can imagine, like stroking a puppy.

Yes, you are correct: no hair escapes tho, typically, my leg hair proved reluctant to go - the one thing I wanted to get rid of. Personally, I found the loss of pubic hair a source of great amusement as I began to realise just how valuable it actually was. That, combined with shrinking genitalia (which I didn’t notice for ages), led to peeing in multiple directions. It can feel a bit infantilising but it’s not for long. It’s worth it.

All the best with the rest of your chemo x

Hair loss

Hi all

hope you’re all doing fine 

I had my second chemo infusion last week after getting home I had terrible cramps and made a lot of visits to the loo

and I have been so tired all week

feeling much better now and going to the clinic tomorrow for the third infusion 

like most of you here my nurse said that I’ll definitely lose my hair 

which started a few days ago 

so today I got the hubby to shave the lot

off

shaving it off made me feel in control 

and believe it when they said that you lose all body hair they are absolutely right 

I had a shock in the shower this morning 

Take care all and I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow 

I really have no idea how to use this app 

so can’t post my new haircut