cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Great news Fiona, take it easy. Love and gentle hugs. Debbie xx

That's excellent news Fiona and so pleased you're feeling much better. Hope your hubby is good at cooking Sunday dinner - Philip's cooking skill would be a sarnie or perhaps, under instruction , a boiled egg 😂 !!! 

I'm feeling tons better today and have started the post surgery exercises.  The drains are still in, but should be coming out tomorrow and hopefully I'll be going home in time for Sunday dinner.  XX

Community Champion

I hope you are feeling better today Fiona and are able to go home tomorrow. 

Love to all,

claire xxx

Community Champion

Hair update! Got my husband to clipperthe new white whispy hair growth down to a grade 1 again to give the newest growth chance to catch up! Decided I'll keep doing this until my hair completely covers my scalp then I'll let it grow. Feels so good and less patchy now 😊 Going to be wearing the wig for a good few months I'm guessing!!!
Xxx
Community Champion

Oh no! Sorry to hear that Fiona!! Relieved that you're in the mend tho 😊 Xxx

Oh Fiona - so sorry to hear that , certainly a bit of a rough time. Do hope you start to recover and feel a bit better. Sending love and hugs X X Mechele 

Oh Fiona, you poor thing. Hoping it's steady progress now. 

I am still in hospital as last night I suddenly developed a haematoma in the non-tumour breast and had to go back to theatre to be reopened up to stop the bleeding which was pouring out of the drain.  I also had to have a blood transfusion at 2am as I had lost so much.  I'm still feeling a bit wobbly and really tired after the 2 anaesthetics in 12 hours but am definitely on the mend now and think I will probably be able to go home on Sunday. I am happy to have passed another milestone, and despite the bruising, I can already see that the results look good!  Fiona x

Fiona- so pleased all went well, hope you had a good nights sleep. How are you feeling this morning? Take it easy and get lots of rest. Did you have reduction on your good side at the same time ad lumpectomy. It's 3 weeks now since my op and I'm doing ok, movement is good, I'm getting a bit bad at forgetting to do my excercises though! The hardest thing is stopping myself doing things once you start feeling a little better, difficult with 3 kids to look after!!!
Claire- so pleased to hear you being so happy, everything is on the up!! I know exactly how you feel about Tamoxifen, I got my prescription last Thursday and I haven't started taking them yet, I'm dreading any side effects, I know there might be non, but also the thought of taking them for 10 years!! When were you advised to start taking them? My BCN said to wait a week or two if i wanted, I think it is so many weeks after chemo that you are meant to take them.
D xx
Community Champion

Claire, it's good to hear you're feeling happy and positive and I completely understand your reluctance to taking medication that might put you out of your positive mood!! I felt the same but I'm pleased to say I've had no side effects so far on mine Ive been taking for 2 weeks now - hopefully you'll be the same 😊
12 rads down, 3 to go!! I've had a different friend take me most days and it's felt more like a social occasion than a hospital appointment as Ive treated them to coffee and bacon or sausage bap on the way home at a local farm shop cafe. Think I'm actually going to miss it!!!
Bought a Fitbit which is encouraging me to go on long walks and generally move around rather than sit about and I think that has also contributed to my general mood of positivity and of course seeing an end to active treatment!
How are the rest of you feeling?
Fiona, I hope you had a restful night xxx
Community Champion

I'm glad all went well Fina. I hope you managed to get a reasonable nights sleep.

i had a bit of a cathartic day yesterday. I was driving to rads and I had the radio on and I was singing along to the music when I suddenly realised I was feeling HAPPY and I was not constantly thinking and worrying about BC! 

All  through this vile experience I haven't felt like listening to or dancing and singing  along to music, but now I feel as if I can again. Ths week I have been at work, had good news from the oncologist and been signed off by the physiotherapist as they don't think I have lymphodema after all. Our house build is going well, and I feel as though the future is achievable and I will be there! Im going to look at a horse this afternoon too!

i haven't felt like this for a long time ( well since last September when I first went to the GP) and it's good!

on the other hand I still can't face taking my first tamoxifen. I hate taking medication and I'm scared of the side effects. I know I've got to and I will (eventually). I know I will have down days when the fear rises to the surface again, but I'm enjoying the way I'm feeling right now!

four rads down , eleven to go!

i hope everyone is ok

Claire xxxx 

Community Champion

So pleased it's all gone well Fiona! Fingers crossed its a quiet night in A&E then!! Hope you do manage some sleep 😊 Take care xxx

Hi all it went really well, what a relief.  I was last on the list, so they let me go home last night and come back in at 8am, then I had a wire put into my breast and attached to the titanium clip which had been put into the tumour in January.  Then I waited until 1pm to go to theatre.  My husband insisted on staying with me all morning, poor thing.  I got back to the ward for 6pm, with drains in, and new breasts, they look good!  Now going to try to get some sleep.  My room is right above the entrance to A&E so I'm guessing it could get a bit noisy later on tonight... Fiona. x

Community Champion

Good luck today Fiona 😊 Xxx

Hi everyone , everyone seem to be getting on with their treatment ok and we will all be looking forward to reaching the finishing line 😊.

Cassy - we are at the same stage - you will be on No 7 today like me, and I too have a fair trip to the hospital - the M18 /M1 is always so busy , with the usual roadworks than have been in operation for about 18 months and nothing much seems to change. I am beginning to colour up a bit, but am applying the Diprobase 3 times a day as instructed. Just hoping my energy levels start to improve , which are better than they were, but nowhere near as pre treatment . Finger nails getting darker, and neuropathy to feet improving. No real s/e from Letrozole as yet and hopefully it will remain that way. 

Sending best wishes to everyone , Mechele X 

Fiona , will be thinking of you this morning, hope all goes well and early on the list ! The waiting is always the worst. Look forward to hearing how you are. Hugs and best wishes, Mechele .x 

Community Champion

Good luck today Fiona. Thinking of you xxx

Thinking of you Fiona.💗💗💗

Fiona hope all goes well tomorrow 👍

elizabeth x

Hello everyone Smiley Happy

Just wanted to say that I do still read the posts every few days to see how everyone is getting on. Today will be my 6th out of 20 radiotherapy sessions, other than having my husband drive me the 1½ hour each way journey to Maidstone every day it is going well. I have noticed my arm is a little swollen, but feeling stronger and chirpier every day! I have returned to work part-time and feel like life is returning to some sort of normality.

Sissy and Ellie I have had neuropathy in my feet, numbness and a constant prickly feeling as well as very heavy legs, I havent spoke to anyone about it as I don't see my oncologist until 11th July. My fingernails aren't really bothering me now, although my toenails (especially big toes) are painful still. Ellie, I also start Tamoxifen the day after radiotherapy finishes.

Fiona, good luck for tomorrow.

From Cassy xxx

Community Champion

Hi MrMunch, it's always good to hear positive comments from someone who's been through it all.  Cannot imagine having that much hair, but maybe I'll be commenting on Jan 2017 starters thread this time next year with similar news!!

I'm nearly 2 weeks into my hormone therapy tablets and no side effects to report still - taking that first tablet is always a big step!  I have my first bisphosophonate tablet to take on Sunday morning (to protect my bones) It's one tablet a week and I have to take it first thing, 30 mins before eating or drinking anything other than water, and have to sit upright for 15 mins (or might have been 30 mins) to ensure it goes quickly to my stomach!!  Got them on Friday, but decided against taking the first one on Sunday as we had a family meal and I didn't want to suffer any side effects while I was out!!  I guess once I've got over taking the first one, it will just become normality along with everything else that's thrown at us!

Good luck for surgery on Thursday Fiona, and hope everything goes smoothly when you go in tomorrow.

xxx 

Community Champion

Thanks for that Mr Munch. It's good to hear from people well out the other side of treatment. Thanks for your comments re tamoxifen too. I picked up my first lot today and will take my first one later. Dreading side effects especially weight gain, so it's good to hear it doesn't happen to everybody.  Five inches of hair is fab! I miss my long hair so much! 

Lovely to meet you for real today Sissy. Nearly there with the rads. I'm two down now! It's all so quick compared to chemo and the staff are lovely!

good luck with surgery Fiona. We will all be thinking of you.

love to all

claire xxx

Hi Ladies,

I hope you don't mind me popping on your thread.  I started FEC-T in January last year.  I had my last infusion on 2nd June 2015.  Last Radiotherapy 22nd July.  Groeshong line removed in July also. I guess some of you will be very near the end of treatment now. 

It is a distant memory and I now have 5 inches (yes, I said 5 inches) of thick curly hair. Went back to work, decided I needed a change, started a new job in February.  Absolutely no side effects from Tamoxifen.  Zero weight gain (this was something I was worried about).

Remember to do some fun things when you can, eat what you enjoy and I hope you to can be like I am, getting on with your lives.

Stay well.

All the best with comforting hugs.

XX

Hi all, I've been feeling great, forgetting all about Cancer, was in London yesterday working hard and just getting on with things.  Trying to keep my mind off surgery.  I have to go into hospital Wednesday lunch time, and will have the surgery Thursday morning.  Trying not to think about it at all is my approach!  Plenty of time to do that afterwards.  Glad to hear that's rads seem to be pretty uneventful for everyone.  My nails still seem OK, and I haven't had neuropathy at all, don't know if I was just lucky or whether icing my hands and feet with freezer blocks during docetaxl helped.  Luckily I don't mind the cold.

Debbie, has is the recovery going?  How are you feeling now? 

Sorry to to hear about all the lymphedema issues, sounds really annoying with the non fitting sleeves and puffy fingers.  Hopefully it will be sorted out so that you have the right equipment!

Fiona x

I start my tablets the day after the radiotherapy finishes. 

Yes i I still have pains in my nails, but the clumsiness is fading now, and the heavy legs are improving at last. I am still struggling to touch cold things. 

Also, I keep forgetting to ask you all, have any of you had neuropathy as a side effect from the chemo? Xx

Well done for today to Claire, you'll soon get into a routine with it all, I just lay there on the machine and watch whatever they've put on the tv for the day whilst they shift me into position. Glad your meeting went well with Dr M as well. I don't know when I'm going to start my tablets, she didn't seem too fussed about a start date when I last saw her. It's good about your scan results, did you have one done privately after chemo? Xx
Community Champion

Feeling very disappointed as up to now not had any problems with communication! 

When had last apt post chemo was told I'd have bloods month after chemo to decide where I am?! Had period during second cycle nothing since. No menopause symptoms before chemo! Told new drug is from new research and better one but the info conflicts!! How have they decided I'm post? I've not got apt till 22nd.... I'll ring onc nurse again tomorrow!! Haven't brought meds with me so can't start anyway till Friday if I do get answers tomorrow??!? 

Community Champion

Tina, I was told tamoxifen until bloods say I've had menopause. May have to have zoladex but they wil. Check bloods before that too. I have no idea where I am. I had a period just before chemo, one around cycle three and nothing since. Haven't had any menopause symptoms yet so god knows what's going on!
I was also told at least ten years of meds which will change from tamoxifen once they are sure I've been through the menopause. It's all very confusing!
Tina, I would go back to docs and ask for more clarification. Maybe they tested your blood when they did your chemo bloods.
Hope your rads going ok,
Claire xxxx
Community Champion

Well done Claire, it's good to get started isn't it 😊
Tina, would your GP be able to help? Maybe s/he could hurry them along or at least explain what the different tablets/injections are for and how they help in your particular case.
Elizabeth I think the glove would be a good idea for me, I go back next week and I'll suggest it.
Xxx
Community Champion

Yay! Well done Claire. I've had number 13/19 today.

Very confused about meds!!!! Rang again today but nobody got back to me!! Hadn't heard anything so I rang the unit month after chemo. Was sent prescription in post for  EXEMESTANE ...... One a day, but says in info that these are usually given after being on tamoxifen 2/4 years and for post menopausal women. But I've not had any bloods to decide where I am menopausal wise!!?! Was told I'd have this month after chemo! Nope, just sent prescription.... Also given ZOLADEX ......info says, for pre menopausal women!? And I'm told one injection every 3 months though info says one a month!..... CONFUSED!! 

Worrying ive gone two months past chemo now and not started any medication!! I didn't want to start taking without getting answers!? Am I pre or post?!?! Xxx 

Community Champion

So first rads done and dusted. All very straightforward and quick and not too scary! I'll be counting the sessions down then no more hospital appointments till 1st August.

i saw the onc today and got my prescription for tamoxifen. She said I need to start taking it straight away and will have to take it or something else post menopause for at least ten years. Not looking forward to it but if it stops it coming back I'll have to. I chickened out of getting it today so I'll get it and start tomorrow .

Good news though, My ct scan pre rads has come back all clear which is a big relief. Also I've had my genetic results and I don't have the bc gene which is good for family members. There may be an undiscovered gene so they keep my bloods on file and will cross check if any more are discovered. It also means my ovaries can stay for the time being! The onc said to me to remember that I had cancer and now I don't!!! Yippee and every thing crossed it stays that way! 

And I went back to work today. It was as if I had never been away!!

love to all you wonderful ladies

claire xxxxxx

Good luck Claire with your 1st rads and keep on trucking everyone else you are fast approaching the finish line.
Fiona how are you feeling about surgery this week? Is it on Wednesday?
Not long left for you Elizabeth. Are you having rads?
I'm getting fed up wearing my wig too Kim, my hair is growing but it's a while before my scalp is going to be totally covered. I'm not sure when I'll be brave enough to stop wearing it!! I want to buy some new glasses but I'm waiting as I want them to suit my short hair!!
It's a beautiful day here too and the kids have just gone back to school after half term hols so I'm going to do some sorting!
Have a good day.
Debbie xx

I hope so Claire! Tomorrow mine has been changed to 5.15 but should be back to 4.15 from Tuesday onwards. I love the way they change the times but don't tell you! 

Hi Kim. The lymph nurse said the sleeve didn't fit properly so she has ordered another make to try.  I think that if it's too tight the worry is that it does more damage than good.  My had is the puffiiest and I also have a glove and a strap to wear (not with the sleeve tho).  This is quite comfy and I have slept in the glove.  Bandage sounds like a good idea.

re radiotherapy the consultant said that patients can become tired half way through because they are zapping your cells in the targeted area and the n your body is working hard to replace them.  It makes sense to me.  Perhaps we have to learn that recovery will take time and not put too much on ourselves. 

Community Champion

Good Luck tomorrow Claire, so far I've found radiotherapy fine. I'm tired but I'm not sure if it's the radiotherapy, the travelling or that I'm doing more during the day and napping less!  Maybe a combination of both. It's quite a social occassion in the little waiting room where we wait in our dressing gowns after we've been called from the main one.  There's the men with prostate cancer drinking water - they have to have 37 sessions!! But then they havent had to have the chemo. There's about 4 ladies I see regularly with breast cancer, one had her last one Friday, then a lady with a brain tumour and a young man, late 20's who has to wear a mask for his radiotherapy, but not sure which cancer he has.  We all have a good chat and everyone is in good humour - it certainly helps with the waiting!! 

Getting impatient (again!) with how slow my hair is growing!! What I have is growing at a decent rate, but I still have a couple of bald patches which I'm getting concerned about.  Think it's going to be a long time until I can discard the wig :/

Hope you have all had a good weekend Smiley Happy 

xxx

Community Champion

I might see you there. Good idea to take q gift. I gave my chemo nurses a present at the end and they were really pleased.
I hope everyone is ok xxx

I have mine at 3.30 tomorrow Claire. You may find that there'll be some time changes which they let you know about when you check in. Because of the bank holiday last week my last one will be next week. I'm thinking of taking them a tray of Krispy Kreme donuts as a thank you xx
Community Champion

Thanks for parking advice. My rads are all at 4.30 so hopefully I will find somewhere on the road. Gong to leave myself extra time tomorrow. 

Ts my first day back at work tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited to be gong back to normal routines, but I feel fat and don't even know if my work clothes still fit! I have also coloured my hair today with the organic dye. I couldn't stand the grey. My straggly bits look awful and I'm stressing more about my hair at work tomorrow than anything else! I know I'm lucky to have some and actually my new hair is growing really fast now. I hope the dye doesn't make it all fall out! 

Oh well. The weather here is actually nice for once and I feel better!

Ellie, I think you rads are just before mine so I may see you this week.

love to all

Claire xxx

Hello all, I've had 9/15 rads now and if I'm honest the last couple of days I've been shattered, mainly because I've been driving myself to rads and then off to work after for a few hours.

Claire, I've managed to get a space in the on street parking bays for 8 of the 9 sessions so far. I tend to go over a little early and drive about a bit until I find a space. When you drive down the old Dover road there's a turning before the road leading to the hospital, it's a residential dead end road but there's a walk way at the end that leads through to the hospital, there are sometimes some spaces along there. I find it all depends on what time the appointments are, mine are all for around 3pm or later. If you're going after 4 I imagine you'll find on street spaces. Good luck for Monday xx

Claire, parking is a problem for me! I have finally found that you can park in the car park on the left of the drive to the main entrance for £2 if there is a space. I am still really struggling  with walking so they have said that if I arrive after 4 I can park right outside the main entrance in the drop off as the parking department have gone home! Otherwise I have to go to the main car park, get myself to the fracture clinic entrance and ask for a porter! 

Community Champion

Great Ellie. See you there. 

I hope everyone is ok. Mechele I managed to slice my finger open with a new kitchen knife yesterday. Typical it was my right side where I had full clearance. Hopefully it won't be the start of lymphodema. 

I am definitely feeling better. I've done a lot this week and don't feel exhausted. The real difference I noticed yesterday was when I was a able to strip and change the bedding without having to sit down exhausted afterwards. It nearly killed me doing that during chemo! Things don't seem like such an uphill battle now! 

For those in the middle of rads, how is it affecting you regarding tiredness? Luckily I have t got to drive too far to the hospital so the traveling shouldn't be a problem.

also Ellie and Sissy. Where are you parking for rads? The k and c is a Nightmare for parking spaces. Where do you find best? 

Busy weekend for me. It's nice to be doing normal things again!

i hope everyone has a good weekend. Hopefully we will get some better weather down here. It's been like winter all week! 

love

claire xxx

Sissy and Claire I have applied for that course too! 

Ellie. 

Community Champion

Hi! This thread has been very busy, taken me a while to catch up!

Really good news Debbie, hope you enjoyed your celebratory meal and glass (or 2?) of wine!

Elizabeth, good luck with your last 2, not long now!! How did your appointment go with your lymphodeima therapist? I have the sleeves to wear, mine also cover my hand, leaving the fingers and thumb free, but I find that my hand still swells up as does my fingers and thumb when I wear them  I stopped wearing the for a while because as my nails were so sensitive, I was unable to get them on andso  my husband has been bandaging my arm up at nights (specially shown how to!) but that is also uncomfortable!! The therapist has said that I shouldn't really expect any real improvement until at least 4 weeks after radiotherapy has finished and my body starts to get back to normal.  I have an appointment to see her again on the last day of radiotherapy and them I guess 4 weeks after that.  Having real problems wearing tops with tighter sleeves :/

Mechele, I'm having radiotherapy on the left hand side and don't have to do any holding of breathe which is probably fortunate as I have a cough and I don't imagine I'd manage it!!  Don't know if that's because I have a silicone reconstruction? Or if my scar is in a different place? Hope your finger is starting to heal well!

I'm back to eating the banned foods too. Some of them I ate anyway, such as runny eggs because I just didn't think!  Nice to be back on the soft cheeses Smiley Happy

Fiona, my house is in chaos too - ordered new furniture for our 'dining room' which has been used as an office and general dumping ground, so we've started a major sort out which seems to have just made things worse!! Hopefully by the end of this weekend we'll have a tidy house again.

Radiotherapy is going well so far.  Have had a different friend driving me to appointments all week, it's been more like a social occasion than a hospital trip as we've gone and done a bit of shopping after and stopped off for a coffee on the way back.  My skin looks fine, and they seem to be getting quicker at getting me into the right position, so I'm not having to lie still for long.

The hormone therapy tablets aren't giving me any side effects yet either - long may that last!! I went to see my GP today to get a prescription for another tablet which should help with the bone loss side effect. I really wasnt keen on having it, but I'd be daft not to and my GP was quite positive about it, and I do trust him.  So that's me sorted with my medication for the next 10 years!!

It's great a few of you are getting together to do the move on course.  I'm in Shropshire, so I don't think any of you are near me.  I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it!  I have the 'Big C and me' on record to watch on my own one afternoon.  I wasn't going to watch it, but decided I would in the end.

Well the weekend has come round again quickly - think its the daily trips to hospital that are making the week go quickly!  Hope you all have a good one!

Take care, xxx

Fiona I don't know how you do it all! I am just about feeding and washing myself! 

Today i I have a really bad back - don't really need that! Hope I still make it to radio! 

Oh no Mechele!  Hope you don't get an infection.

great news Debbie 👍. Fiona glad you're enjoying your half term. All your activity makes me feel tired!

e x

Debbie I am so pleased for you! Ellie

Fabulous Debbie, so pleased for you!  Michele so sorry to hear about your finger, sounds awful.

I've forgotten all about Cancer for the last few days, we've been having a mini heatwave and the children were off school so it's been picnics, shopping and relaxing.  Heaven.  I haven't been thinking about the future at all, just enjoying each day.  So nice to have some energy without having to have it all taken away by another chemo session.  Elizabeth you're nearly there, in a few more weeks you'll be feeling great and it will all seem like a distant memory!

House is in chaos as I'm having bathrooms re done and we had no hot water for 24 hours and had to empty the loft and lots of cupboards so they could do pipe work.  My husband away on business so I've taken the opportunity to have a good clear out of his stuff.  Hope he doesn't notice all the things I've got rid of, or see them in the local charity shop,

I'm going to make tthe most of the next few days, then it's off to hospital on Wednesday, for my surgery on Thurs. X

That's great news Debbie - hope you had a lovely lunch and enjoyed the wine . So pleased for you, Mechele x