Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Great news Debbie. You deserve a celebration xxx

Sissy- The team are meeting on Monday, they didn't have there normal meeting last week as it was bank holiday. Let me know when you are up north and if I can I'll meet you for a coffee and chat. Xx

Great news Debbie! When will you hear if you need rads? Have a fantastic lunch xx

Good news, just met with surgeon to get my pathology results and all is good. He took 4 nodes and all were clear, my tumour was 40mm compared with about 70mm before chemo , he is meeting with his team on Monday to discuss whether I need radiotherapy, he thinks probably and I said I would prefer to have it. I also got my prescription of tamoxifen to start, didn't expect to be taking that until after radiotherapy. We are out for lunch celebrating, with a glass of wine of course! Such a relief as I was sure it wasn't going to be so good!! 💗

Hi Elizabeth - yehhh only 2 to go for you - not long now . Yes , I've recommenced doing my exercises due to feeling it stiffening a little - definately worthwhile as did feel it being 'stretched' yesterday and believe area will ? get tighter. Mine is the left and wondered / worried about heart and maybe doing the 'breath hold '. However, did detailed scan on planning appt to see exactly position of heart/ lung and do not have to do it . Just don't know if I would have felt less anxious if I did have to do it - but I suppose just have to trust their judgement. Worries me also re lymphodema , particularly with having a real nasty double cut through index finger on left - one deep cut width of finger, the other right through nail - only just heeling after 2 wks and boy did it throb!! 

Got my finger in blender blade with it still switched on 😨- just don't ask how - basically down to rushing and total  stupidity !!! 

Recorded the big  C , but not watched it yet. Must dash, off for rads no 2 , best wishes , Mechele 

I had my 10th of 12 yesterday so only 2 more to go. No new side effects but feeling more tired. I have been struggling with chesty cough which has probably been taking energy. My rads to start 18 July having 20 sessions. Been interesting for me to read your progress on this. It has made me start my arm exercises again. Any of you affected the left? I've been told that I have to do some special breathing to move heart out of the way. How is that? I've fhad some lymphoedema and have got a sleeve and glove but it's really uncomfortable. So I'm not really wearing it. Seeing the nurse again in Friday.

I've been thinking about moving forward and the future and what I am going to do when I've finished with treatment. At the start I had thought that life would continue the same. But I do need to make some lifestyle changes; better diet, more exercise and less stress. I find my job quite stressful, that leads me to reach for the wine when I get in and that leads to not eating properly. This hasn't happened during treatment because I haven't been doing my usual job and only working part time. I can't go back to that cycle again. I think I need to book on the moving forward course too.

Did anyone watch the big C yesterday? I wasn't going to watch, although it was distressing I am glad I did There was a woman on who had been living with BC for 20 years. I had never thought that was possible so it gave me hope.

its great that some of you will meet up. I wonder what you will have to talk about 😉. Keep well everyone.  Debbie, I think you will get your results today - will be thinking of you

elizabeth. Xxx

That's good Claire, Ellie are you going to enroll on that course? I'll message Amanda and see if she knows about it as well.

Claire, when do you start rads? Xx
Community Champion

I had an e mail too and I'm booked on. 

Just been out for lunch with a group of work friends one of whom has just had a baby. Lovely to talk about normal things and not the dreaded bc! Life is beginning to be normal!

claire xxx

Ellie, Im eating all the bad foods again, though I must admit I never stopped eating runny eggs or shellfish at home!

Just had my email back from bcc and I'm booked on to the moving on course that starts in October xx
Community Champion

Yes I have Ellie. I have also eased up on the anti bacterial hand gel and general germ paranoia! I have nearly got my taste buds back so I am enjoying food again rather than eAting for the sake of it!

i have been craving a rare steak and intend to have one very soon. I'm giving my tastebuds a bit longer first! I have had shellfish, soft cheeses and soft yolk eggs already though!

i am eating as healthily as I can with lots of veg and fruit but annoying,y I already ate like this before diagnosis. I do intend to be as healthy as I possibly can and I'm going to ask the onc about diet, alcohol consumption and supplements as I want to do everything I can to stop it coming back!

love to all

Claire xxx

Have people started eating the foods we were told to avoid like Brie, poached eggs and bio yoghurts? 

Canterbury ladies that would be really fab to meet up. Yesterday when I did the look good course although it was fantastic all we wanted to do was talk to each other and see whose hair was starting to grow etc! It will be funny when we've shared some of our darkest moments, the state of our bowels and periods, to actually see each other! I'm definitely up for it. Ellie. Ps should we swap numbers / set up an email group so we are not boring everyone with local arrangements? 

Debbie, I'm hoping to be up your way end of June, my brother lives at castle Eden which is just near Peterlee xx

To those that had the full node clearance, how was surgery compared to single mastectomy, is recovery the same time, and how long did you have to wait for 2nd surgery?
I too need to look into doing a moving on course. I try to stay positive, but every so often I have a really bad day and my mind wanders. Waiting for results doesn't help either!!!
It would be great to meet up but I'm near Newcastle!! Maybe a little far!
Debbie xx

Hi Claire - that sounds a great idea , if you are able to meet up - think I'm the only one in South Yorkshire. On the Look good feel better on Tuesday after rads - gather the free makeup or whatever you get is quite good and handy tips X 

Community Champion

It would be great to meet up after all we've been through together. I feel as if we all know each other so well even though we have not met! We have shared our deepest fears and worries so it would be nice if those of us who live in the same area could get together.
Claire xxx

I've just searched online and enrolled on it too. There's also another course which is run by Macmillan and held in Chartham, it's a health and wellbeing clinic.

I met Amanda today for the first time, she was was finishing rads as I was going in. Maybe she'll come on the course as well, we did talk about us local ones meeting up for a coffee xx
Community Champion

Just looked online. There is a breast cancer care moving forward course at Canterbury staring 7th October for four weeks 9 till 1. I have signed up for it. A friend of mine has done it and said it really helps. I think we are entitled to time off work to attend that sort of thing.
Claire xxxx
Community Champion

I want to do that cours too. Maybe we could all do it together. I think there is one in Canterbury. Do you know Sissy.

thanks for the info re dr M. I think I wil. Phone to see if an appointment is in the impel be fir me. I would rather not start tablets till after my holiday.mi had a period at the beginning of chemo then one around cycle 3 and nothing since. Maybe I have started menopause. No hot flushes though!

i am trying not to focus on the negative and I try to never look,at the bad news stories. I feel better and have been told from the beginning my prognosis is good so I'm trying to hold on to that. The fear does bubble up from time to time and makes me very cautious about the future but I'm determined not to let it rule me or my life!

this thread feels a positive place to be at the moment. Thanks ladies!

love to all

claire xxx

I want to do that moving on course too Sissy but don't know how to get on it! Ellie.

Hello all,

Debbie, I had 13 nodes removed, six positive but only two had micromets in them, I saw it that the nodes were doing their job and catching the stray cells.

Had my 6th rads session today, 9 left to go. Skin is looking okay, just feels sore when bra runs and I've moved over to wearing my soft prosthetic as the other one kept sticking to my skin where I've been moisturising it.

Claire, I met with Dr M today before rads. She's not starting me on tamoxifen yet as she wants my arm vein problem checked before hand so I'm waiting for an ultrasound appointment for that. I mentioned as well starting them after my holiday end of July, she said there was no real rush as I've only had two periods throughout chemo, the last being around cycle 3. I also asked about hot flushes and how long they'd last, to which she replied 2-3 years. She also seemed to think I was in early menopause, not sure how she'd know that though unless they've checked my hormone levels during blood tests, everyone do you think they do that?

I talked to Dr M about my worries about aches and pains and the C returning, she thinks that one of the other FB forums I'm on isn't helping me as it always seems to be doom and gloom, so has advised me to come off of it, she also suggested I enrol on the moving on course sooner rather than later and get some counselling etc. She also mentioned my percentage chance of it not returning today, not something she's mentioned before and I think she said it to help me worry less, it's higher than I thought it would be so that's good I suppose, though if I'm honest I've always tried not to think about percentages as we're all different and the stats they use are quite old I think.

I hope everyone else is okay, we don't have too long to go now ladies. Love to all xx
Community Champion

Glad to hear you are healing well Debbie. The exercises do help. I had two nodes removed initially one of which had a 12mm tumour in so I had to go back and have a full clearance. I had another ten removed all f which were clear so it was on,y the one that was affected. Like Mechele I had no idea that we all have different numbers of nodes. I will have everything crossed for you on Thursday. 

Glad rads going well for everyone. I want to get mine started now so I can tick it off the list! The look good feel better is fab Ellie. I love my bag of goodies and use the make up everyday.

i hope all well for everyone

claire xxx

Hi Mechele, red boob is still glowing nicely thank you! I have just done the look good feel good session and one of the women there had the same thing - when I walked in she was just showing everyone! Loved the make up by the way!

ellie.

Hi Debbie, yes I had a second op for full node clearance. You can imagine how my heart sank when I was told, but like everything else you just get on with it - what else can you do?! The a opting thing is that there wasn't any more cancer in the second lot they took out, but I least I have e assurance of knowing that I suppose. 

My my fingers won't work - that should have said the ANNOYING thing and THE assurance! 

Hello there Debbie , pleased you're gradually improving and will be thinking of you on Thursday and you get the news you're hoping for. I had full node clearance - I actually found quite a large lump deep in my armpit and never felt one in the breast. On pathology it was found I had 3/18 positive cancer nodes ( never realised prior to this that no of nodes varies from one person to another !) A friend of mine had 26, yet someone else had only 12 . Not really had a problem and did the exercises 3 times a day, stopped briefly for a few days after the planning appt but found my arm was stiffening a bit , so now doing them again. Thinking of you Mechele 

Hi All,
It's so nice to hear that we are getting on ok. Rads seem to be going well too.
I'm doing ok, improving each day, I'm trying to do my excercises 4x a day which is helping and bruising seems to be going down. I meet with my surgeon on Thursday for my pathology results, I am a nervous wreck, I really really hope I don't need more surgery for full node removal, did anyone else have to have this done?
Fiona, when do you have surgery?
Elizabeth, hope you are doing ok and what is your last chemo date?
Love to everyone.
Debbie xx
Community Champion

Four weeks post chemo for me too and usually I would be an achey mess so it's great to be feeling normal (ish) again! Just got home from rads no5 - still going well, skin looks as it should, although early days perhaps? Also had 5 doses of Anastrozole and no side effects yet... Taking it at night so maybe I'm sleeping through them! Again, early days! Pretty sure I'll need to take bisphosphonates to combat bone loss and I am really concerned about the side effects of that more than anything else at the moment. Mechele, . Letrozole sounds similar to Anastrozole - wonder if the side effects are similar too and what the difference in the 2 drugs are?
Removed the nail varnish yesterday and my nails look pretty wrecked! Seem strong enough though, so I decided not to re-paint them but start back on putting nail oil on them 3 times a day in the hope that the condition of them improves!
It's sounds great going out kitchen shopping and planning Claire - something to get into and look forward too. Hope you also find the horse you're after too Smiley Happy
Hope everyone else is doing well? How is it going Elizabeth?
We've had beautiful weather over the past few days and this morning but it looks like it might change ... So ironing it is for me today!
Xxx
Community Champion

Posted before I finished!

i hope everyone is ok

love to all

claire xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone,

four weeks since last chemo and I feel like myse.f again for the first time since chemo started. Still get tired and achy but I have a lot more motivation to get on and do things. It all seems less of an uphill struggle just to do housework, food shopping etc....

im back to work next week same day as rads start. Looking forward to it but a bit nervous! It's been a long time.

I still haven't heard from the onc re hormone tablets so I don't know when I will start. Have you seen her yet Sissy? Therefore no hot flushes or night sweats yet which is a bonus. I'm a.so still waiting for my genetic test resu,to. It's been ten weeks now so I should hear soon. I've a.ready had both boobs off so I could just face ovary removal.

rubbish day here today so im going with my husband to see kitchen designers to plan the kitchen in the new house we are building. 

Oh and I went to look at a horse last week. Lovely but unfortunately sold yesterday. Looking at another in Dover this week. It's time to get on and start living again! I want to ma,e the most of everyday from now on!

im doing the race for life on 12th June. It will be more of a slow walk as I can't get very far at the moment!

Hi Fiona - interesting re the power surges - I've had them for years , usually at night ( night sweats) and often wondered how many years it would go on for , being menopausal for about 25+ yrs !!! . However, suddenly stopped the min I started chemo !! but recently come back again. During the day tho have been soooo cold, despite having numerous layers on - wondered if needed thyroxine levels checked. Had planning appt last Wed, given huge tub Diprobase to use and was told by oncologist that I need not continue with exercises ! However, felt arm / armpit getting a bit tight and down arm ( really don't want a problem with cording etc ), so started doing them again . NOT looking forward to starting the Letrozole ( accord ) after reading all the info on other site on Letrozole/ Femara !!! - have such leg/ knees muscle / bone aches - legs still feel heavy and really hope this doesn't increase - will wait and see. First rads tomorrow 😨. Hope you doing ok and not too anxious on forthcoming surgery. Sissy - is it your 6 th rads today, hope it going ok.Ellie - has your red boob improved, did you find out what is was etc. Hope everyone else is doing ok - we've all come such a long way and hopefully all feeling quite positive. Love and best wishes to all . Mechele 

Sissy I've been having the hot "power surges" (as I like to call them).  Mostly in the evening and they also wake me up during the night.

Ellie I hope you were OK back at work.  Nice to have the long weekend to recover after going back!

Elizabeth hope you are still doing well and not too tired.  Only a few more weeks to go.

Kim I hope the lymph oedema is improving, and Debbie hope you are starting to feel as though you are recovering from the surgery.

cassy, Mechele, Claire, hope you are having a good weekend and enjoying nice weather.  I'm going to my allotment for a bit of gardening: I must be feeling better! Fiona x

I have found I have needed e shoulder exercises lots at the moment. It seems to help if I do the, just before rads and then again afterwards. I would say I a. Doing them several times a day, not just twice. My mum got a frozen shoulder when she was having her rads and that looked so painful I don't want it! 

I a, 4 and a half weeks after me last chemo and I just want to shout I AM FEELING REALLY WELL! 

Sorry about the typos but ,y fingers are still not working very well. Hope you can still read it. 

Ellie

Community Champion

I'm the same Sissy, before rads my armpit felt tender which I think was the lymphoedema because it did ease. My shoulders and neck aches too still. I can't say that I've been doing my post op exercises everyday but I have more often than not to help relieve the lymphoedema. I can feel my arms stiffening up more today, so I guess I should get back to it twice daily....
I'll be dying my hair as soon as its long enough for me to go wigless but I do have a patch on the top of my head towards the front which is still pretty much bald so not sure when that will be!!
Hope everyone has a good Bank Holiday weekend!
Xxx

Hi all, fifth rads done today, skin is looking ok, however it feels like it's tightening up even though I've been moisturising twice a day. I'm feeling more sore in the arm pit area which i think the bra and heavy prosthetic is aggravating. For some reason the fear has got on top of me a bit the last couple of days, every time I feel an ache or pain I keep imagining all sorts of scenarios. The logical part of my brain tells me that it's only 4 weeks since my last chemo and that what I feel is the SEs of that and rads as well as normal body aches etc. However I get a bit panicked about it all, when I'm occupied and busy I don't feel any aches or pains! I've noticed my shoulder and arm on the side in being zapped has stated to stiffen up over the last couple of days, mentioned to rads team today and they said I should have been continuing with my post mx exercises, have the rest of you been doing these as well? Also, hot flushes, I'm still getting a few of these each day, is anyone else?

Claire, I'm interested in the hair dying and what to use. Once mines longer and one length I intend on doing mine, just having my brows done has increased my confidence? Xx
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

i hope rads going ok for those who have started and the daily trips to the hospital are not too tedious. Nothing could be as bad as chemo! 

Debbie I hope you are recovering well from your op.

more hair and eyelashes info in case anyone is interested!

when I was having my portacath taken out I was talking to the nurse in recovery and her sister has just been through bc. She was devastated about lying eyelashes so researched a lot of products to help them grow back. She discovered something called nanolash which is a serum and both she and the nurse who also tried it swear it's very effective. I have got some and have started using it so I await to see what happens. It's not cheap bug I reckon I have spent so litt,e since I've been on chemo it's worth a try! 

I have also been researching hair dye and e mailed Daniel Field who make the organic colours about when I could use colour on my post chemo cold cap damaged hair. I got a very quick reply and they said it's safe to use! I really want to cover up the grey but I'm not sure if I dare yet! My hair is growing fast and I k ow I'm lucky to have hair (the cold cap torture was worth it!) but it's not like my old hair! I am determined to be blonde by my 50th in October!

sorry if I sound obsessed by my appearance but chemo and surgery have really knowcked my confidence!

have a fab bank holiday weekend everyone,

Claire xxx

I think I have a few eyebrow hairs appearing as they are in the wrong places... It felt very odd to pluck them out! 

Hair is is definitely growing but I still look more or less bald. I can't top touching it! 

Community Champion

Ellie, hopefully it's not cellulitis - fingers crossed!

Saw the oncologist after rads today  and got my tablets to take for the next 10 years (only a months supply - not a whole 10 years supply Smiley Wink  )  I'm on Anastrozole so I've made an appointment with my GP as I need to take other medication to help prevent further bone loss. Take the first one this evening and if I have any side effects from taking these tablets, please, please don't let hairloss be one of them!! How vain is that?!

Eyebrows are growing back, but no sign of eyelashes yet.  My opinion of the speed of hair growth changes daily from being pleased and then disappointed!

Right, I need to get the wig back on and drag myself out for a walk, otherwise I know I'll be asleep on the sofa.

xxx

Made me cry!

Community Champion

Here's the link for victoria Derbyshire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36362856
Claire xxx
Community Champion

I hope all is ok Ellie. Fingers crossed its not cellulitis. 

i must be one of the last to start rads. I just can't wait to get it over and done with now! It is nice having a couple of hospital free weeks especially as I am finally feeling much more myself after the last chemo. I think we have all struggled with the last one. I've passed the three week mark now and it was only yesterday that I felt more energetic and actually managed a walk without my legs aching. 

Victoria Derbyshire has put a new video diary on rhe BBC website. It's about 11 mins long and is about radiotherapy and finishing active treatment. She really sums up,how we all feel. Also very encouragingly 12 weeks after chemo finished she has eyelashes and brows again! I can't wait for mine to grow! We are getting there girls! 

Love to all

Claire xxx

At rads 3 yesterday I asked whether looking like a beacon was normal so they had a look and said no! I might be developing cellulitis which would mean I need antibiotics, but as the breast was not tender they are not sure. They said some people react to rads by blood vessels coming to the surface and it might just be that, but it's not common. 

But i I have to say I am really liking not having chemo! 

Evening all, well today feels like the first day I've felt relatively OK since my last T.  It's day 13 today so it's taken ages.  I'm feeling confident that chemo side effects are more or less done now, been feeling really really tired and lethargic but today is the first time feeling alright and not completely wiped out by 8pm.

The next milestone for me will be surgery on 9th June, and then a week later finding out what was left of the Cancer.  I don't know how long after that the radiation will start, I think they said about 4 weeks after, so really useful to find out how it's going for everyone. The impression I got from the surgeons was that the main inconvenience was going to the hospital every day, and that side effects were next to non-existent, so we'll see how it really is from the patient's point of view!

hope everyone is feeling well tonight, Debbie I hope your scar is not too sore and that you can relax at home.  Elizabeth, thinking of you as we count you down until we're all done with chemo.  What a great thing to have got through it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing so much and helping us all to get through, it's certainly made a huge difference to me for one.  Knowing everyone else's story just makes us feel that we're not in our own in this horrible experience,.. Lots of love, Fiona xx

Community Champion

Had first rads this morning, was there just over an hour! Called from the main waiting area on time, had a short chat with 2 members of the team before being shown to the changing rooms to strip off my top half and change into my dressing gown then had to wait in a different waiting room for another half hour! The actual radiotherapy was fine tho, took a few mins to get me in position and got drawn on again and then it was probably about 5 mins of the machine doing its work. Then I had a chat with a consultant who'll see me ever week to check everything is going well. Smothered myself with moisturiser, got dressed then off to the lymphoedema clinic!
The lymphoedema therapist was really nice and reassured me that my arm is probably as bad as it will get due to chemotherapy and not to expect too much from it until after radiotherapy. After that she was confident that they would be able to sort it out so usually it would look and feel normal again. Such a relief! Because my nails are numb, I can't put my compression sleeve on, so she showed my husband how to bandage my arm at night for the next few weeks!! So I have huge bandaging in my arm as she said I may as well keep it on until the morning now!! At least it's nice and warm in this chilly day!!
How are you all getting on?
Xxx

No I haven't felt anything during the rads at all. During the first one I felt a bit uncomfortable and was worried about lymphodema but that hasn't developed into anything yet. Although my breat looks red t doesn't hurt. But I've only had 2/20 sessions!  

Community Champion

I have bought enough moisturiser for the whole of the clinic in preparation for tomorrow (Aveeno 3 for 2 in Boots ) Just been sorting out a bikini top to wear instead of a bra for comfort, although the ones I thought I could wear were underwired, and the one that's not has beads between the cups - I use the term 'cups' loosely!!
Went out and bought bigger sized cropped trousers today having failed to get in any of my jeans yesterday!
Seeing the lymphoedema therapist tomorrow after radiotherapy, so I'm hoping she can reduce the swelling in my arm as I couldn't even get on the compression sleeve yesterday and today especially having numb finger nails! It's all good fun this breast cancer lark :/
Xxx

Ellie, can you feel anything when the rads are happening? The machine moves into three different positions for mine and today during one of them I could feel what I describe as a warmth. Xx

When I undressed ready for the second rads today I was interested (read shocked!) to find my breast glowing like a red beacon! I've upped the moisturiser! Hope that's normal. 

Community Champion

Really good news Fiona, it's nasty stuff that chemo, but it does it's job!
Xxx
Community Champion

Fiona, that's fantastic news about your tumour! It makes the trauma of going through chemo worth it! Are you having surgery next or do you have to have rads?
I'm glad rads were ok Sissy and Ellie.
I'm going to look at a horse while I'm at my mum's for a few days. Carpe diem! Life's too short to procrastinate as we have all learned from recent events!
Love to all
Claire xx

Hurrah that's great news Debbie, it sounds as though it has all gone as well as you could have hoped.  Must be nice to get those drains out and to be home at last.

I really hope we all start to feel a LOT better soon.  After finishing chemo I think we were maybe a bit optimistic about how we were going to bounce back immediately.  Only to find ourselves exhausted by the slightest thing.  

Claire I know what you mean about making plans: I can't even seem to plan a holiday, but I don't think getting a horse is tempting fate at all.  It just means that you'll be able to do something that makes you really happy, which has got to be a good thing.  It's good for so many reasons: relaxation, fresh air, having another creature to look after, getting great exercise, it'd be all pros and no cons as far as I can see (except maybe mucking out and vets bills...)

I've had good news today.  My MRI, X Ray and ultrasound scans showed no visible trace of the tumour now - the chemo seems to have worked.  I'm so pleased because it was quite big to start with, nearly 5cm.  Can't wait to get the surgery done to find out whether there are any Cancer cells left at all, hopefully not.  

Hope the rads are uneventful - it sounds as though it's mostly a bit of a bore, nothing like horrible chemo.  Let's hope!  Lots of love Fiona x