62390members
328310posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Yes thank you Sissy, all okay with my first rads! Slightly uncomfortable keeping arms up for so long, but I think the actual rads were about 2x 12 seconds and 1 X 2 secs! They said I was unlikely to get any side effects in the first week. Bit tired after work today though! Brilliant to be back. Ellie.

Hi all, had my first rads today, all okay, I got a bit tearful though at the beginning, i think it was the fear of the Unknown. Today's took around 20 mins as they sort out your positioning and X-ray it to make sure its correct. The rads machine moves around you and then what your laying on moves around as well. I found holding my head in position hard as I kept wanting to talk! I've upped my hours at work to four a shift, which is going well, a enjoying being back and having something else to think about.

Kim and claire, I'd put on around a stone during chemo, I also have jeans and summer trousers that now don't fit well. I've managed to lose 3Ibs in the last two weeks, which is a start, and I'm feeling less out of breath when walking. Head hair is growing back well and I'm having my remaining eyebrows tinted on Wednesday, which I'm excited about as it will be nice to properly see what I have left!
Claire, I've had some problems with the fear over the last few days. My mx area has felt quite tight and sore over the last couple of chemos which worries me. Every other ache and pain I have I automatically think it's cancer related, even though the majority of the pains are ones I had pre diagnosis. I too worry about making plans too far ahead in case it all goes wrong and is taken away from me again. It's very hard to live with the fear. I think i might get some more counselling to help.
Great news Debbie about the drain, it'll great to get home and eat something different! Ellie, I hope your rads today were okay and not too traumatic! Mechelle, the middle parts of a couple of my finger nails have also gone purple, I'm hoping they hang on! Love to anyone I've missed xx

Sitting waiting for rads having got here an hour early. Unintentionally!
Community Champion

I feel bloTed all over too Kim and it's really depressing. I am normally quite slim but now I'm struggling to fit into jeans! I haven't eaten loads so I'm hoping its temporary. I am suffering sane side effects as you although my watery eyes have improved. I've even put my contact lenses in today.
Day 22 for me tomorrow too and no more chemo!!!
Claire xxx
Community Champion

Just typed a long reply and lost it!!
You'll be glad to get home Debbie, hope you do t have to hang around too long to be discharged.
I start rads on Weds so I think I may be second to start although pretty sure Sissy starts soon too. Hope all goes well today Ellie! Normally today I'd be starting the steroids and rushing around d the house tidying and cleaning and cooking for the freezer!! No energy for that today!! It will be good tomorrow waking up on day 22 knowing I'm not going to be infused with more chemicals!
Side effects I'm left with are tender nails so I'm sure I'll lose some at some point, general achiness and stiffness and watery eyes but I have to say they have improved with the new eye ointment I use at night (lacri-lube) I'd use it in the day to but u can't see for a good 10 mins after I put it in!! So use the other ones in the day. Plus I am bloated - all over!! I have tried to
get into about 4 pairs of jeans / trousers with no luck!! Can't get my legs in them let alone do them up!! No idea what I can wear today now - aarrgghh!!
Wonder if I can get away with baggy cropped trousers without shaving my legs.....
Xxx
Community Champion

I start rads 6th June. I'm also going back to work that week but only two days a week to start with. I've got 15 sessions all afternoons, which means I can fit it in round work

i need to go back to work as I desperately need routine and structure to my days. It's been so long. I'm a bit nervous about dipping my toes back in to the real world! I also hope that by then I feel better. I'm still very tired and lacking  in energy after the last chemo. It's three weeks tomorrow since the last one and I thought  I would be better than this by now. 

Im also finding it hard to plan for the future. I have lots of things I want to do, but I'm scared to think too far ahead in case it all comes crashing down again! I'm not sure how to deal with the fear of it coming back or spreading. I am desperate to buy a horse as I have always had horses and having lost my old boy, was about to get one when I was diagnosed. I've seen a perfect horse for sale but the "fear" is holding me back. Part of me says just  do it, but another part says that if I go ahead I might be tempting fate and everything will go wrong again. How are the rest of you coping with the aftermath of it all. I know it's early days so maybe I need to give it more time.

Glad you are going  home Debbie. That's another hurdle crossed. 

My nails are ok so far. Not painful in fact I stopped biting them through chemo so they are the best they have very been. Not expecting it to last though as I have read they can come off quite  a long time after chemo has finished. 

Take care everyone

Claire 

I have just repainted my toe nails - I thought the worst was over but ink for nails it's just starting! My finger nails keep feeling sore but I can't see beneath the shellac - moment of truth on Friday when I have them Redone! 

Ellie - hope all goes ok today - think you must be the first to start - look forward to hearing how it went. Don't know why I feel nervous about rads , don't think the attitude of the 'chief ' oncologist helped - said I was worried about it being Left side and effects on heart/ lungs - rather brusk ' we try to avoid it but does sometimes catch lung tissues and effects permanent '!!!!, not saying what of course, just really worries me - hope planning staff are a bit more 'caring' 

My nails not looking good - feel very sore, middle section purple and end section a yellowy discoloured ( look a bit like nicotine stains on a smoker 😨- all ten fingernails same . 

Hope everyone has a good day , best wishes Mechele 

Delighted for you Debbie! 

I start rads today! 4.15. I also go back to work today, just doing 11-3 this week. 

Ellie.

That's excellent news Debbie, will be so nice for you to get home to your family and own bed. Don't know if you got much sleep, I never did - just so much going off. I've got my planning appt today at 11.30 ( have to go to Sheffield which can take 45/50 mins or 2 hrs - traffic dependant ). I start 1/6 to 21/6 , know some already had planning appt and start after me - sure there's some that start before me but can't remember who ! 

Youll be glad to get your drain out - hope you don't have long to wait to getting ' released' , so pleased you got that out of the way , best wishes Mechele X 

Morning all,
Surgery update- I've just had my drain checked and it's OK to come out today so I can go home- yippee!! Looking forward to getting into my own bed, some good food and seeing Hubble and kids!!
I hope everyone is doing ok. Who is the first to start rads?
Love and hugs
Debbie xx

Aww Debbie

I think everyone has been thinking of you. Let the emotions out, they will have been building up with the anticipation of your surgery. Make sure you take it easy during your recovery. Hope the drain is done with soon, I was forever forgetting I had one and would walk off and then go 'oh' once it had a gentle pull. Hope you managed to get hold of some nice food. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, it's nice to get home in your own bed. xxx

Hi Debbie, so pleased the surgery went ok and the anxieties/ unknown is always the worst . Hope you feeling a little better and that you get home tomorrow - as long as you are well enough of course. Have been thinking of you - with love, hugs and best wishes , Mechele X 

Hi Fiona,
I'm doing ok, surgery was fine it's the build up that's the worst. I'm still in hospital, I'm hoping that I might be out tomorrow but I don't want to go home with drain in as not nice for kids, and it's still producing quite a bit. I'm feeling quite emotional today, reality is kicking in. I'm waiting for my husband to bring in some nice food, why is hospital food so awful!! Hope you manage to get your sleep back on track.
Take care
Debbie xxx

Fiona, have you tried taking a nap earlier in the day and keeping it to no more than an hour? Or even half an hour at 6 if you are working? Ellie. 

Morning all, my sleep pattern has changed so much, I've been feeling exhausted by 6pm every night, so I go to bed early, then wake up  every 2 or 3 hours in the night, which is really annoying because I always used to sleep very well, does anyone else have this?

Pat least I seem to have plenty of energy in the mornings, I'm going to start exercising next week to try to build up some strength before my surgery, in 3 weeks.

Re nails, there does seem to be some evidence that keeping dark nail varnish on can save them, although it's not well documented.  I have decided to keep putting dark nail varnish on for 4 months from my last chemo, and then after that I'm going to switch to OPI nail envy strengthened, which is clear.  You put it in in layers each day, then after about 5 days take it off and start again.  I think the only other thing we can do is wear gloves when doing anything which might damage them, and hope for the best!

debbie how are you doing?  Will you stay in hospital for the weekend or go home?  Thinking of you and hope that the surgery went well and that you are feeling OK.  Fiona.  XX

My tablets start the day after rad finishes. 

When I re-did my nails on Monday I noticed that a couple of them look purple and bruised underneath. Really hoping not to lose them.

Claire, I haven't heard anything else about when to start tables, but when I last saw oncologist she indicated that it would happen after rads. She was also concerned about my arm swelling that I was having clexane injections for as if it was still swollen I'd have to have different meds. I'm due to see her on 31st may so will find out more then xx

Kim, I know how you feel about loosing your nails, I can't imagine what they will look like and there is nothing we can put over them if they come off. I've used onicolife drops too and dark nail varnish. I just took nail varnish off on Wednesday in preparation for surgery then noticed the changes, before putting last lot of nail varnish on mine were purple to third/half of the way up. Once I'm out of hospital I'm going to put nail varnish on and just hope for the best that they stay on!! Today is 4 weeks since my last chemo- where has that gone!!
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Love Debbie xx
Community Champion

I hate the thought of losing my nails 😨 Still have the dark nail varnish in mine and as I've said, they're tender and look faintly bluish under the nail polish. They seem strong enough but worried it won't last! I used the oncolife nail drops all through FEC and painted them dark for the T part, putting the nail drops on when I changed my nail varnish. I notice the December thread are discussing nails too!!
Xxx

Fiona, I am not sure about your research - I think it's coming up with the wrong answers! We need a solution to this nail problem! I think the nails on both of my middle fingers are starting to lift and I don't like it. 

Well done Debbie! Hope you are comfortable - enjoy the rest! 

That is fabulous news Debbie, I'm so glad that all went well.  Take it easy and heal well. So sorry about your nails, I've been reading up on some of the threads about nails to try to work out the best thing to do and there doesn't seem to be any consistent tried and tested advice.  I don't know whether the dark nail varnish is better than strengthener or whether either of them actually make any difference.  Also read that a couple of people suddenly lost their nails 6 MONTHs after last chemo out of the blue - urghhh.

Kim I've been using Carbomer eye gel (on prescription) which I find really good for my dry eyes.

I had a great start to the day, walked the dog, out for lunch and crossing various things off my to do list.  Then I got out of my car this afternoon and went round to the back seat to get my handbag out and somehow opened the car door and slammed it right into my face quite hard, it really hurt and I 've now got a black eye!  Marvellous......

hope we everyone else is doing wel.  Love to you all.  Fiona   XX

Claire, I'm 3 wks today - pushed myself to go on dog walk and was ok, walking upstairs is terrible - by the time I get 3/4 way up, I feel I'm nearly on 'all fours ' and muscles above knee hurt so much. My onc gave me my tabs on pre chemo review 3 wks ago and instructed to commence on 1st day of rads - 1st June - on Letrozole, 

Debbie, that's excellent news, so pleased you ok and hope you get a fairly restfull night ( as far as you can in hospital ) sending lots of hugs and best wishes , Mechele X X X 

Community Champion

Great news! There's nothing better (in my opinion) than tea and toast after surgery!! Hope you're relatively pain free and have a peaceful night. Take care xxx
Community Champion

My eyes are the same Kim and it's a pain. It ruins any make up I try to put on and makes the area around my eyes sore. I've got some artificial tears I had for my contact lenses so will try them.

like you Mechele I still feel shattered and my legs ache. I walked my dogs today and it was all I could do to get up a small slope! I was beginning to think it was something else, but it seems we all feel  this way. I am looking forward to passing the three week mark and seeing how I feel then. 

I still haven't heard from the onc about hormone tablets. I will phone the hospital if I don't hear soon. Have you heard anything Sissy? 

Debbie I hope all went well. I've been thinking of you too.

love to all

Claire xxx

Hi.
I'm back on ward, all well. Had tea and toast Kim!! So relieved it's over. Hopefully staying in for a couple of days, so lots of rest!
Thank you for your messages.
Debbie xx
Community Champion

Thanks Maureen - I'll give that a go too! Xx

Kim. I have had the same problem with my eyes apparently chemo affects the tear ducts. I think at some stage our eyes are dry and the body then floods with tears to rectify it. I use artificial tear drops during the day and Lubristil lubricating eye drops at bedtime. I have had no problems since using this. Maureen
Community Champion

Same here! Hopefully you're out of theatre by now Debbie and having a well deserved tea and toast Smiley Happy
I finally got around to going to the chemist to get done eye drops for my streaming eyes. Was recommended Viscotears liquid gel for dry eyes. Really don't understand how my eyes can be dry when they constantly stream down my face! I guess they e made my eyes feel a little more comfortable but they're still watering. What are the rest of you with this problem using?
I've been doing quite a bit of walking each day which has helped stop me stiffening up. Not as fit as I used to be but I'm improving, legs don't feel so heavy now.
Xxx

Kept thinking of Debbie on and off throughout the day - do hope surgery went well and she ok . 

Cassy - hope you feeling a little better today and also you Fiona - hope you remain hospital free and s/e not too bad .

How is everyone else feeling - don't know if everyone feels they should be getting a bit more 'back to normal' , I know I feel I should but I just continue to feel so tired, heavy legs etc etc - almost beginning to wonder if something is wrong, but probably isn't. Got planning appt for rads on Monday and appt for 3 different bone density scans ( ? got to change date as on a rads day and as yet, don't know times ) . Commence hormone therapy tabs on first day rads 1/6/- that should be fun . Sending best wishes Mechele .

Good luck today Debbie, will be thinking of you, in a few hours it'll all be done xx
Community Champion

Oh Debbie. It certainly sucks. Why hAve we all had to face and deal with this horrible disease. It's cruel and unfair.
You will feel better after surgery. I was very comforted by the thought that once surgery was done the b****y cancer was no longer in me and could not invade my body any more.
A couple of weeks after surgery and you will feel so much better.
Hugs Claire xxxx
Community Champion

Aww Debbie, it really does suck Smiley Sad Sending you virtual hugs xxx

Yes lifting!! My fingers haven't turned black, the whites are just getting bigger. I've got 1 black toe nail though. I'm in bits, ive just said buy to the kids, it's so unfair why me. Cancer sucks.
Community Champion

Good luck today Debbie! Hope it all goes well, I'm sure it will. My fingernails are tender and faintly bluish but feel secure (at the moment!!!) are yours actually lifting ??
Xxx

Oh crikey - Discoloured or actually feeling loose 😨

Yikes my finger nails have started showing signs of falling off!!

Good luck Debbie, thinking of you today. Hope it all goes really well. 

Ellie. 

Good luck Debbie , thinking about you and look forward to hearing from you , best wishes and sending big hugs Mechele X
Community Champion

Goid luck today Debbie. We're all here cheering you on through surgery. This time tomorrow it will be over! 

Take care

Claire xxx

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm up and just had breakfast, nothing now until after op. I've got to be at the hospital for 11. Feeling nervous but just want it over now. Not sure if I'll have wifi in hospital, so it might be Monday before I can do update!!!
Take care everyone. Cassy and Fiona hope you are feeling better soon. Debbie xxx
Community Champion

Goid luck today Debbie. We're all here cheering you on through surgery. This time tomorrow it will be over! 

Take care

claire xxx

Debbie, In your pocket tomorrow.  Sure you will be fine, it will be great to get it over and done, another milestone passed.

Hope everyone else is feeling a bit better day by day.  I'm struggling on day 6 now but managed to stay out of hospital so far and am taking it easy.  Having my sister with me is a great support.  Love to all. Fiona xx

Community Champion

I definately felt worse on the last one came down to earth with a huge bump after the first couple of days when I was so happy it was all over!! There are some people I'm honest with how I've been feeling - mainly those who like to tell me how bad their cold is!! But on the whole my standard reply is "I'm fine" too.  

I can't say that I'm suffering, but I generally feel "meh' the whole time.  Still got the metalic taste in my mouth and I'm slightly achey.  The most annoying thing really is my tender fingernails - I can't open cans and tins with ring pulls without using something to help lever them open and opening packets is difficult too. I can't even scratch an itch!  I'm generally feeling positive though - can't wait until I can get back to work! Phased return is planned for 22 June as I'm signed off until 21st.  That's about a week after radiotherapy finishes, so I have time to enjoy not having to go to the hospital each day, but I'm sure I'll be bored and frustrated at being at home still!!  I am concerned about the side effects of whichever hormone blocking tablet I'll be given - just hope that any of us due to have them don't suffer any!

Cassy, I hope you start to feel better soon xxx

Community Champion

Hi Cassy, I'm on day 17 after last T and I have also found this one tougher then any other cycles For the first time I have numb feet and heavy legs and I'm really tired. I also find walking tough as my legs ache and I'm out of breath. I did start to pick up,around day 10 but then overdid it and felt rough again I've been going to bed really early and sleeping so soundly that I haven't even heard my husband come up later! 

I have to say that I am so pleased there is no more. I don't think my body could take it! I know I have been quite lucky in that my side effects have not been too bad but my goodness this has been a challenge! 

T is definitely harder than FEC as it has so many side effects. I just hope to god I never ever have to do it again.

On a positive note i had my thin straggly hair trimmed today. She took off all the wispy bits and it looks better. The new hair us growing well so my thin patches are less obvious. It's nothing like my old hair but I'm glad I persevered with the cap.

Sissy I am thinking of having my eyebrows tinted too. I can feel them but they are so pale I can't see them. No sign of eyelashes yet but I've been told they take a bit longer. I am too impatient as its only just two weeks since the last chemo!

love to all

claire xx

Ahh bless you Cassy - couldn't resist a reply - even on my worst days , when friends have tel to ask how I am , it's always ' I'm fine ' - my husband gets cross and asks why I don't just say how I feel !!! However, I'm sure people who haven't been on this journey , do find the 'tale of woe ', difficult to respond to , and probably get fed up of hearing it. That's one good aspect ( of which there are many ) of this forum , as we can say how we are feeling , knowing others have or are , feeling the same. 

Feeling jealous this am 😊, son and family at Manchester airport awaiting 18 days in Orlando !!! . I'm tired today, had my ' munchkin' ( grand daughter Alexis aged 2 ) yesterday from 7 am until 5 pm 😨 Loved having her of course, but don't know where her energy comes from. Getting expert at building train tracks, ( my grandsons ) and delights in knocking 'mamars' train off the track ha ha . Do hope you start to feel better soon x

Cassy and Mechele - loads of sympathy winging its way to you through the airwaves! I'm day 23 now after last T and yesterday was significantly better. 

The thing that hit me this week was how on earth did I summon up the strength to get through chemo? It made me feel really emotional. A bit like after you Survive an accident and realise you are still alive! 

Aww thank you Mechele,

you have made me smile! I am just fed up of feeling rubbish...fed up of smiling and saying 'I am fine'...

I really don't know how you have managed your way through your chemo journey as I think you have had the worst of it. I know when you're in the thick of it, you have no choice but to muster on and find strength from somewhere...but you have had so many challenges, you have been an inspiration to the 'January starters'. I really do wish you well.

From, a now smiley, Cassy xxx