62328members
328073posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2019 chemo starters

Re: January 2019 chemo starters

Had 3rd FEC last Thursday 7th.  Didnt feel too bad day 1 2 3 while on the Emend.  Since then been taking prm prochlorperazine 3mg and/or Domperidone 10mg .  Did anyone find either of those tablets better than the other.  I seem to think prochlorperazine 3mg works better.  Just wondering what others are finding.  Still feeling icky. 

Other day (monday) took my dog for a short walk.  I had just taken both prn tablets as was advised.  Got to field (about 5 mins walk) then found I couldnt walk anymore. It was like I was frozen to the ground. Walk 10 steps and the frozen again. Of course decided to come home and managed it slowly. Had district nurse round about 2 hours later to flush PICC and told her what happened but she didnt seem too bothered and said well done for coming straight home....   Havent been out since so poor dog has no walkies.  Has this happened to anyone else.  Was wondering if it was because I took both prn tablets near together.  Anyway, taken Domperiodne 10mg this morning and still feel icky but now to scared to try the prochlorperazine.  Such a nice day. Would love to go out for a short walk with the dog.  

Hugss to all Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
LB

Hi Neecy since I went for the shave I have been wearing a small woolly beanie to bed 🤗

G

Aw thank you MaMa JuJu, you are very kind and these words are even more amazing when I know you are going through the same, means a lot ❤️

Hi Val Beach, they are the eylure c lash (there are three styles to choose from especially for us).  I don’t know what they will be like but a good make and nice to have them in your back pocket 🙋🏻‍♀️Xx

I have just had a really good friend over for lunch and feel brighter again (despite me only eating cereal 🤣🤣)

xxx 

Hi G,

i am so sorry to hear that you haven’t had a great time so far. Hang in there.......it’s a means to an end. 

It usually takes me about 9 days after my treatment to feel more human and then I get stronger each day after that. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel on top of the world but I do feel better than I was feeling. 

I was pretty active before the treatment but now I just tend to walk with the dog and get some fresh air. As long as I am doing something I am happy. I will get back into it once the treatment has finished. 

My eyebrows and and eyelashes are still intact but I am guessing they will fall out quite soon. Thanks for the tip about the eyelashes, I will definitely have a look at them online. I do need to get booked onto the Look Good Feel Better course. 

G, please don’t give up. You are doing amazing and this part of the treatment will be over soon. I just call is a temporary blip in the system 😂😂😂😂. 

Sending you lots of love and hugs.

MaMa JuJu xxxx

Hi , 

do you know which eyelure lashes are best , I’ve just been on boots website and there’s loads 😄 thankyou x

G

Hi Neecy,  thank you!! I did manage to snooze a little from 6, typical, hope you went back too! You can buy sleep hats which are super soft on amazon (I don’t need one but I got one thinking I would!).

You will have a good time on Monday...you may be the one to share the eyelash product info as they didn’t know about it at mine, you could be star pupil 😇.

Have a good day xx 

Hi G, sending you a 5am virtual hug! I hope you have managed to get back to sleep, I've been awake since 3 too! I had my 1st EC on 30th Jan and have shaved my head in order to take control... In fact I think that is why I'm waking up so much because my head is so cold! Thanks for the tip about the false eyelashes. I've not heard about those. I have the Feel Good course booked for Monday so will no doubt find out more tricks. I hope you feel better with next cycle, I had some extra anti emetics which seemed to work. 

G

Hi everyone, I have been mostly quiet on here since EC 2, EC 3 this Friday same as MaMa JuJu (I have 1 more EC after that (4) then 4 tax so not half way yet). I haven’t been contributing on the forum (other than the occasional hug to people) as really not felt like it.  Not had one day in this whole 2nd cycle where I haven’t felt unwell, varying degrees but evenso pretty rubbish and the tiredness is dreadful too.  Not one day of feeling close to normal.  Really dreading number 3 as I know it is compounded each time ☹️ (Think that is why I have been awake since 3am!).  I too got teary Val on the steroid come down, so hopefully that passes for you ASAP.  I am also really thinking I want to stop now, as far as we know the cancer is out, I have yet to have recon, I have yet to start tamoxifen, I want this bit of the process to end now.  I know I won’t stop it for my husband and our 2 daughters sake but I have absolutely had enough, sorry for sharing. 

I have been keeping up to speed with how everyone is doing and it is a bumpy road.  I have especially been empathising with the hair!  My hair, despite cold capping, started to shed on the weekend before my 2nd chemo and I had to go for the shave the same week. Despite always having long hair, it did feel better after doing this, the uncomfortableness and the anxiety around it going was nipped in the bud and a new normal to get on with.  This weekend, the same weekend in the cycle, the remaining shaved hair is coming out so assume I will be skin bald as week goes on, another new normal looming!!  I too have a wig (long, real hair one, much thicker and nicer than my own hair ironically) and have worn a couple of times just on occasional school run etc to get used to it but it is hard, reminds me more that I don’t have my own hair than when I am bold or in a hat...think I fiddled with my own hair a lot and not the same in a wig as I am constantly worrying I have moved it so it doesn’t look right etc checking in my handheld mirror with not much subtlety 🤦🏻‍♀️

How are everyone’s eyelashes and eyebrows doing? Mine are ok but dreading them departing.   I did on the bright side do the ‘look good feel better’ course last week to teach u how to do makeup etc when undergoing treatment and you also get a lot of goodies to come away with so if u haven’t done this yet then get booked on!  I have also ordered some, just launched,  eylure chemo lashes from boots (fake lashes made especially for chemo ladies so gentler glue and a wider band to adhere to skin) hoping I won’t have to open the box but at least there as a back up.  

Hows everyone doing weight/fitness/exercise wise?  I used to run before this a few times a week and do a Kettles and a Pilates class but  not run once and only managed a couple of classes, really hoping I can improve here as despite so far not putting on weight as far as scales concerned,  I am definitely looking and feeling far from how I was.  This is also not helped by food I feel able to eat due to feeling sick which is not what my body reacts well

to.  

Right, going to try and get a little more sleep.  Massive hug you amazing ladies xxx 

Hi Val,

I felt exactly the same around 5/6 on EC2 and I was so teary and anxious. The nurse said that it was more than likely to do with coming off the steroids but I also started to lose my hair properly and even although I had a pixie hair cut it still affected me mentally as it was the first time I saw myself bald. I looked in the mirror and got a fright. A couple of days later I started to feel more human again and I am so used to my bald head now. I guess that was just another hurdle to get over. 

I wore my my wig for the first time today and felt very comfortable with it on when I was out and about so that’s another tick in the box. I am a hat lady so I don’t anticipate wearing my wig that often. 

EC3 is on Friday so here we go again!!!! After this one I will be half way there. 

I hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected. 

Sending lots of love xxxx

My scalp was sore for a few days before I lost some hair but it seems to have calmed down now , I’m cold capping so fingers crossed i will have some hair left after this . Fingers crossed for your hair too x 

Hi Val, I felt the same on day 6 after 1st EC - really low & anxious.  The following day my mood instantly lifted.  I wonder if it was due to the steroids stopping & if it'll happen again on EC 2. 

My scalp/ hair is starting to hurt tonight (day 13) - is this the beginning of hair loss?

xxx

LB

Hi Val I felt exactly the same around day 6/7 I really upset my husband when I said I couldn’t go through it anymore - the next day I felt a lot better and now a week on I feel so much better again 🤗 we can do this 🤗🤗 

I can’t seem to start a new conversation on this site and have to go into reply ? Anyway , I felt rubbish today , mentally 😬 6 day after 2nd ec , felt like this last time 🙁 thinking , can I do this ? What’s the point and stupidily googling about triple neg ( which I have ) and only taking in bad stuff , my lump is shrinking and onc quite happy so i need to pull myself together x 

Thanks for sharing LB, it’s a great read xxx

Hey Perko

There's a few of us cold capping on EC, keep the faith Smiley Happy I am now day 12 after EC no. 2 and started shedding last week and it's been pretty bad and of course I'm thinking if I lose this much after rounds 3 and 4 of EC there'll be hardly anything left (!) BUT I will keep going because it does seem to protect hair follicles and result in faster regrowth from everything I've read online in facebook groups, on breastcancer.org and generally. The only thing I can say is make sure your cap is touching your head at your scalp. If necessary tie a pair of tights around it , or even more than one pair, it needs to be tight and touching all of your scalp. 

I know it's upsetting and if I could have one wish come true it would be that no one going through chemo for cancer has to suffer the hairloss too, it's like a final punch on top of all the other crap we get but we will all get through. Hang in there xx 

Sorry , this is a reply to Lorraine 1  😄

I’m not sure what I’m having after ec , I couldn’t take it all in at the time 😬

Holland and Barrat had the almond Carrier oil and 100% rosemary essential at half price a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth checking if it’s still there xx

I strongly believe that Vit D, complex B and as Lorraine.1 suggested a Biotin supplement too. All of the above are good for nails and hair.

Hi team January, first venture onto these boards for me...(couldn’t even figure out where/how to post!!)

I’m cold capping on EC but still losing so so much hair. It just seems to be constant the past 10 days or so, every time I take my beanie off new clumps of precious hair shed. I was expecting a big-ish shed after each cycle but anyone else getting this continuous hair loss? It’s like Christmas tree needles the day after Boxing Day...

If I can, I’ll keep going with the cold cap - has anyone had experience using it with big bald patches on top? Any tips most welcome!

thanks everyone x

LB

Loraine. 1

Thankyou for the oil tip I will get some in the next couple of days. X

Val, are you on 4xEc then 4Xpaclitxel like me? I've heard/read any lost hair starts growing back on pac and, like you, I have decided to cold cap to the bitter end and just hoping what hair I have hangs in there till pac! 

Sunnydaze - I'm so happy the rosemary oil has helped you/your scalp! X

Stuckat14 soooo nice to read you had an easier ride with the second round. Fingers crossed you stay uninfected in week 2!

Gocat you sound like me, I have 'coverage' (ie know one would know but me) but I spent this week really stressing about what will happen after EC 3 and I only stopped stressing when the shedding decreased to a few strands lately. I

LB - so happy to read your scalp is better - also almond oil is very soothing as a carrier oil  mixed with rosemary for growth. I 100% empathise with your second to last sentence, it is unreal and I can't even explain how I feel some days to people, between the side effects and hair anxiety I don't recognise myself. 

Big hug to you all xx

Hi All

i had  #FEC3 on Friday. So far, so good.....I was floored after FEC2 , so I’m pleased it’s better this time around. Half of the way through now. 3T’s to go....

i have been rubbing almond oil and rosemary oil into my shaven scalp and I’ve still got a lovely fuzz of hair. Thanks for the tip, I think the rosemary oil definitely helps. Good luck all you ladies out there. We struggle on, wading through the treacle xx

My doc said the bit after ec was the worst bit for hair loss 🙁 I think it depends on person , I’m cold capping all the way through no matter what tho 😄

LB

Hi all I hope that those of you just getting over their last sessions are doing ok. I’m day 12 after FEC 2 and definitely feeling better again but I was wretched for a few days ☹️ I went to my friends yesterday and mentioned that the remaining stubble was very painful- I thought it would have all gone by now but there was about 20% left and every time my hat or wig or fingers caught it - ouch. It was like sticking hundreds of pins into my scalp. My goddaughter looked it up - apparently when the hairs are attached to the follicles they are padded by the follicles but when the follicles have died off and there are still hairs they stick in. So we got out the shaving cream and towels and a good time shaving off what remained 👍 we made a bit of fun out of it - after all how often are you going to do this for/with a friend 😊 The outstanding result was a much happier head 😀 the wig felt much better and when I went to bed in my going to bed hat I was so much more comfortable 😊 Reading this I still can’t get my head around the fact that I’m in this place but you have to make the best of everything if you can. Hugs to all

LB 🤗

Gokat and Lorraine thanks for posting. I've just had my second ec and have found it sooo much easier so far- don't get me wrong I'm not going anywhere and I still feel sick and very tired, worse after being awake since 2am today. But emend and ondansetron seem to have made a big difference, I also took a cyclone in the evening so now I'm crossing my fingers that the lactulose works- im not eating a lot at all. I've been telling myself in a third of the way through but the next two weeks are still going to be full of worry over infections etc- my 5 year old is in bed next to me coughing his guts up! 

Anyway- hugs to everyone,  is it too early to start talking about plans for the summer?

Xx

@gocat wrote:

Hi had my 3 rd chemo of FEC last Thursday.  Worse part was the cold capping.  Think it was too tight on the forehead bit.  Was really glad when it was taken off.  Still got good coverage of hair but still lost a fair amount too.  Was thinking of not doing it for the T bit but I asked a nurse if you still get hair loss with T and she said yes.  I thought I read somewhere you dont.  

Anyway, not so much nausea this time round.  1st one was really bad.  2nd cycle not so bad and this time ok so far.  So fingers crossed I dont get it now.  

Hugsss to all Smiley Happy  

Hi had my 3 rd chemo of FEC last Thursday.  Worse part was the cold capping.  Think it was too tight on the forehead bit.  Was really glad when it was taken off.  Still got good coverage of hair but still lost a fair amount too.  Was thinking of not doing it for the T bit but I asked a nurse if you still get hair loss with T and she said yes.  I thought I read somewhere you dont.  

Anyway, not so much nausea this time round.  1st one was really bad.  2nd cycle not so bad and this time ok so far.  So fingers crossed I dont get it now.  

Hugsss to all Smiley Happy  

Hi all

I have been suffering with a very sore arm since EC no. 2 (my chemo arm). I am due to have my picc line fitted next Thurs 14th and am hoping it calms down before then. I'm on ibuprofen and using warm compress. I have pain/tenderness on inner elblow and just above it where the picc line will be fitted. Anyone got any tips of anything else I can try? 

Think I lost about 30% of my hair since EC number 2 - like falling out every day for last 10 days but still have full coverage (all be it thinner) and decided to keep going as only 2 more ECs to go then it's paclitaxel. Not sure if anyone else here is cold capping and how you're getting on?

Hope everyone doing ok and less nausea xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

How apt!! Thanks for posting... Xx

Thankyou , what she says is so true x

Thanks LB. A good read - and true xx

LB

Hi all this is a brilliant piece http://www.tickingoffbreastcancer.com/the-loneliness-of-a-cancer-diagnosis/. 

Hugs to all xxxx

Hi ,seen my onc today , he said some people do get bruising , itching and pain around lump , everyone’s different and reacts differently . He also thinks the lump has shrunk a bit too which I didn’t think would happen for awhile which is good 😄 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

hello Ladies, I did reply this morning with but it seems to have disappeared...anyway...I'll try again.. forgive me if this comes up twice at some point..

Mama Ju Ju - regarding Hand and Foot Syndrome,  I had a word with a lady from my June Chemo thread who had this and this is what she said:

It’s a serious side effect and I had to stop Docetaxel immediately.  I found even if I’d walked a short way my feet felt like they’d done a 50 mile hike.  The toes blistered and the sole and sides of my feet turned bright red.  The skin then started peeling off.  The spaces between my fingers also started turning red and blistering especially between my thumb and first finger.  Very painful.  If so they should contact the chemo hotline and ask to be seen by an oncologist who can confirm and alter chemo regime if necessary.  I also struggle with neuropathy from the Paclitaxel so I really would encourage them to listen if the onc  say she needs to switch/stop. 

Don't want to worry you but worth getting it checked to be safe.

Take care

Kip

xx

LB

Hi MaMa juju - I have felt just the same - chocolate is a definite Nono 🤗 I was advised to keep some pineapple chunks in the fridge and dip in whenever my mouth feels awful - I find it helps and tonic water with a slice of lemon 🍋 and anything spicy and salty like crackers. I hope you find something that your mouth likes🤗 I have turned a corner again and I feel much better than yesterday - I felt very tearful 😢 hugs to all 🤗

Hi All,

Its me again........it’s been a while I know. 

I haven’t had the best of weeks after my 2nd chemo, struggled mentally and physically. I was very teary and the steroids play havoc with my anxiety......I feel as though I am all over the place. 

I took the Emend Tablet this time and it did stop me from being violently sick but I still felt really nauseous.

My appetite still isn’t back to normal either and that’s me on day 9, I can still feel quite queasy. I love all things sweet but I struggle eating chocolate at the moment.........not such a bad thing for the waistline 😂😂😂😂. Funnily enough I have even struggled with sweet smells......it’s almost like I am pregnant.........but obviously I am not. Has anyone else like that?

At the moment I have awful pain / ache in my left foot and I can hardly put weight it. It does look a bit swollen. I was reading that it might be the Hand-Foot Syndrome. Has anyone else had this? I know for sure that I have not done anything to it. I am going to phone my BC nurse tomorrow to get some advice.

3rd Chemo is a week on Friday.......not looking forward to it at all but at least it will be 3rd one down and only 3 more to go.

So sorry for being such a moan on my post but thanks for listening.

Any feedback is welcome.

Sending lots of love and hugs to you all.

xxxxxxx

Hi everyone. I've been tired today, I think the big head shave took it out of me. I'm having ec2 on Friday and my husband pointed out today that I'll be a third of the way through then(kind of) I know that won't apply to everyone but it helped me mentally this morning when I was crying over mamma Mia. 

Thanks LB - i’ll have a nose at the website! Hope you feel better soon and get some energy back. I think your description of feeling like a dead battery sums it up beautifully though. Keep going - soon the fog will clear and you’ll be back to normal! 

I was advised to try some frozen pineapple chunks by the nurse who did my first cycle - it’s a bit frosty but very refreshing. I’m afraid it didn’t cut through my mouth of cack but it took my mind off it for a bit. 

I’m glad you mentioned “battle “ thought I was going mad 😠 I’m having chemo before surgery too , lump hurts , been itchy around area , and slight bruising too , hopefully it means it’s being blasted and doesn’t like it 😄

LB

Hi Sparkie2001 - I got my wigs through the hairdresser at the hospital - she uses this company and mine have been lovely - one of them is from the Rachel Welch line :-) www.wigsuk.com Purely Wigs based in Banbury. 

I'm day 6 after FEC 2 and I feel awful.  Dead battery again - like the last time but seems worse.  I felt like giving it all up this morning but I went for a little walk in the park and I think that perked me up a little.  Does anyone else whose surgery is due after the chemo feel that there is a battle going on around their tumour?  I don't know if that's fanciful but it was the same last time - pain and itching and the biopsy bruises coming out again.  I hope that means that this horrible stuff is working. The pineapple chunks and juice that I'm keeping in the fridge are working wonders for my horrible mouth.  Here's to feeling a little better in a few days - Hugs to all xxx

Happy birthday Sunnydaze! Hope you had a good time in Glasgow and celebrated in a suitably fabulous style Smiley Happy 

Well I finally managed to escape from Casa NHS a couple of days ago and am very pleased to be home in time to enjoy my last few days before the next cycle on Thurs. I didn’t actually feel too bad last weekend, a bit peeky but nothing major but my temp had other ideas and went up to 38 in no time. Chemo helpline were great and just said come straight in and before I knew it I was hooked up to IV antibiotics. Neutrophils were 0.2 for a couple of days but they came up again after a few filigrastin jabs. I then managed to get a cold so that dragged things out even longer but all sorted in the end. Funnily enough I was terrified of neutropenia but in the end it was all very well managed and nipped in the bud. With a bit of luck they’ll come up with a plan this week so history doesn’t repeat itself.

Hair has pretty much departed now so am rocking the bald look. I have been mostly occupying my time hunting around the internet for a new wig as the two I have acquired to date are just not doing it for me. I need one that matches my former hair - dragged through a hedge backwards - as opposed to a blow dried shiny beauty! I have rapidly come to the conclusion that wigs that cost less than £30 are not of the same quality as the £100+ mark duh! 

Good of luck to everyone getting chemo’d this week and well done to everyone who got collared last week. This soon will end! Xx 

ktk

Val, Gocat is right. Call your chemo unit if you are unwell and take their advice. Kx

Hiya Val.   Yes I think most of us feel better after the first week or so of chemo has passed but we are all different. Are you sure you havent caught a bug or something.  Make sure you keep checking your temperature.  I was told if mine goes up to 38C, to call an ambulance and tell them you are on chemo and they should blue light you to hospital.  

Hope you are feeling better now.  If not maybe give the chemo place a call.   xx 

I had my first EC 15 days ago . Sicky first few days , very tired , felt pretty good by day 10 , not sick and little tired but pretty good 😄 then yesterday I felt crap again , really tired in afternoon and sick again and again today . Anyone else had this ? I thought you were meant to feel better as you nearer your next cycle ? 

Saw my oncologist yesterday.  3 hours waiting in crowded waiting room.  Then he says dont forget no going to crowded places due to germs etc. Im like hang on, Ive just been sitting in a crowded room for 3 hours lol.  

Anyway, he says I look well.  I said this week is my good week but I had been suffering big time with nausea after each cycle of fec.  He says its ok to double up on the meds.  Im like I dont want to overdose but he seems to thinks its ok to take double.  

3rd cycle of Fec next week Thursday.   Ugh Smiley Sad  

Hugss to all Smiley Happy  

ktk

Don’t put up with feeling sick!  If your meds aren’t working phone your chemo unit and tell them!  You should be seeing your oncologist before your next cycle so make sure s/he knows and they can make adjustments. 

Sorry about your hair/wig situation. I never bothered with a wig as it was the height of our nice hot summer. I did have to start wearing scarves as the weather cooled and I am in full blown wool that mode now, even with a 2 cm covering!!  Kxx

Hi Stuckat14

I'm from December thread. If you've struggled with sickness/nausea you need to let your unit know and they can tweak your meds. Aprepitant (emend) is really good if you haven't had it. My dose of Fec was reduced to 80% after first cycle as my BP dropped very low and I ended up neutropenic. Have you got an appointment with Oncologist or nurse before next appointment where you could discuss this. It's good to go in with a list of all se's you experienced to help them base a decision.

Hope this helps, good luck x

Hi everyone, sad to hear about those of you feeling very low about hair. Happy birthday! It is mine a couple of weeks after ec2 so I'm planning to celebrate hard! 

I wondered has anyone had their chemo  dose/anti sickness changed after their first round? I barely left my bed for 8 days and didn't leave the house for 10 and if I'm going to get more I'll each time I'm hoping they will say that my dose needs to be tweaked- a macmillan advisor suggested this as an option. I also didn't feel that my anti sickness meds did anything to make me feel better. Hmph  sorry for moan- I shaved my hair yesterday but am very unhappy with my wig (paid for a cut already- I just made a mistake with style and colour).

Big hugs- it is so nice to read this sometimes and know that I'm not alone. Is anyone else here my age? 34?

Xxx

Hi Sunnydaze

You could still cold cap from next one onwards. Please don't think because you haven't begun it's too late to gain benefits. It definitely isn't. I know it's hard but we will get through this. X X 

Hi Sunnydaze 

So far, FEC3 seems to be being a bit kinder, don't want to tempt fate though as start my 5 Filgrastim injections this evening and they give me horrible migraines! Although glad to be finished with fec, feeling anxious about moving on to 3 THP. Have a lovely, albeit alcohol free time tonight. We went out for tea last Saturday and I thought I'd treat myself to a glass of red...just didn't taste the same! Also have a fun day shopping with your family. My oldest daughter's friend has a house in Glasgow and says it's a fantastic place. I've only been to Scotland once, stayed in a cottage in the beautiful highlands...Muir of Ord, Strathconon. One of our favourite hols, need to get back there although I'm not so sure our 14 & 17 year old would be too impressed 😉 xx

Oh thanks for the pineapple tip LB. Glad to know that you’re  managing the se’s well. 😊😊😊 

I also recommend grapes to help soothe a sore mouth, especially if they have been in the fridge. My health visitor told me years ago that grapes (before they were seen as a choking hazard) were great for teething babies and it’s true they are great on the gums. Black grapes are better than green ones, they have more cancer fighting properties. The South African ones, in the supermarkets just now are delicious too.

xx