cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2019 chemo starters

LB

Re: January 2019 chemo starters

Hi sunnydaze

i contacted my nurse and she advised the volterol too - just bought some and within a few minutes it was easing. 👍 My nurse is so lovely- nothing too much trouble and I had a long list to ask her about - she put my mind at rest and I slept deeply for several hours - first time in days 😊 I think my oncologist will decide next week if I do another FEC or go to T - all seems to be on course I hope. Do those who go onto T have Emend - if so I need to ask for some more - but my nurse reassured me when she said T doesn’t make people quite so nauseous - she also said that although I felt more tired this time I might not be the same on the next one if I do have another FEC 🤞 

Around halfway anyway 👍

hugs to all 🤗

Started my T yesterday. No problems yet Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy  

Mentioned to the nurse about my "panic attack" I had 3 days after FEC last time and she concluded it was due to me taking too many anti sickness tablets, which I had been told by 2 previous nurses I could do.  

Still no sickness so far.  Yes had to take 8mg steroids 24 hours before T and 12 hours before T and same again more steroids this morning and tonight and same tomorrow.

Got 6 injections this time instead of 5.  My nephs were at the low end when I had my blood test Tuesday but I forgot ask how low.  So they took blood again yesterday morning, and levels had come up a bit. Nurse said that could be due to the steroids I took the day before, so that was good.  

Am still cold capping and like someone mentioned I have bald patches at the top but just wear a beret style hat when out. Might need the winter hats again soon according to weather forecast lol.  My fringe is still there and cut it into a full fringe so when I have the beret on it looks like decent amount of hair there.  

Waiting for a wig.  Was ordered weeks ago but when appointment made for fitting it, it was only few days after a FEC session and was feeling too nauseous, so cancelled and was arranged for following week. But that was cancelled due to Wig lady having the flu.  Still waiting for appt, but at this rate maybe I wont need it if the bald patches start filling in.  Can live with wearing berets if I still have fringe and hair around the edge of the beret.

Huggs to all and good luck to the ones changing to T soon.  Hope the side effects are kinder to you all Smiley Happy   

Hi Ladies,

Im sorry to hear that your arm has been sore too LB, it’s pretty disconcerting when you realise how strong these drugs are!!! 

Good to hear that you’re out of hospital Stuck at 14 😊 and that all is well. Sepsis is terrifying  and it sounds like you have been through the mill, but I’m pleased to hear you are ok and onthe mend. Onwards and upwards xx

Im going to a concert too in Glasgow  this weekend, as part of a family celebration. I am delighted the hospital has pushed chemo back for 4 days for me, to allow this to happen. It just puts a little joy back into life. I hope you enjoy your concert too when it comes. 😊 Good luck with your final EC  stuck at 14 today and to everyone else who is dealing with chemo and maybe switching o er to ‘T’ shortly.

sunnydazexx

Highlighted

My message re mri is for gocat 

Hi everyone.bsorry I'm still not keeping track of who has said what. On the WBC injections - I'm going up to 7 after my 3rd ec tomorrow because of being neutropenic. It's really good to hear people talking about the anxiety of starting T or docetaxol- I'm terrified but having ab4 week break after 3rd ec tomorrow so that I can go to a concert at the end of March! I'm terrified of sepsis again after my hospital stay last week- I've just been looking at surgical face masks to try and avoid bugs days 7-14. The dic today really scared me saying that sometimes it's too late even for iv antibiotics to get rid if the infection so I think I will be constantly on the phone and I wish I could have daily blood tests to check I'm ok. 

Still lots of smiles here too, some of the school mums have reached out with lovely stories of things there kids have said- all positive and reassuring that my 5 ye old son is coping well and not worrying but laughing at my wigs instead! 

Anyway. Good look everyone and I hope those of us in the midst are not feeling guilty about the bed days or pushing ourselves too hard and definitely not ignoring strange feelings or temperatures. 

Xxx

I think everyone’s different , I had mri before chemo , my friend in between ec and next lot of chemo ,  there’s certainly others who’ve had mri in between as there are chats on this jan chemo thread about wearing wigs during the mri , as far as I know it’s just to get an idea of measurements , good luck x 

LB

Hi all

Sunnydaze Thankyou for the tip about Volteral - I have a call in to my nurse to ask about this - amongst other things - as my arm has also become sore. I’m seeing my oncologist next week- FEC 3 has definitely made me more tired - I think I am having 4 as my next time is 1.30 and I’m sure that they told me that the first T takes longer - or it might be the Herceptin that I am due to have at the same time. Chemo brain seems to have made me forget everything I have been told 🥴 

good of luck and hugs to all 🤗 

Hi LB2

Glad to here the cold capping is working for you and that you still have some hair. 💕

Yes it is a worry thinking about the next onslaught of “T” let’s hope, it’s as kind to us it can be! 🤞🤞 It’s a lottery knowing what se’s we are going to fall for.  Good luck for Monday and I hope you are able to enjoy your weekend.

I  should have been scheduled to have my “T” tomorrow, but I have a big family celebration this weekend, so the hospital has kindly pushed me down the week and I will now have “T” on Wednesday instead.

My Onc did tell me that if I have trouble with the one big dose of “T” they can offer me weekly doses of it’s sister drug Paxcitaxel. The same efficacy, but a kindly weekly dose. I would on balance  rather have the larger dose because I don’t want to trail to the hospital every week. I enjoy my “good” week, but we shall see how I react.

Anyway loads of luck for Monday LB2.

Sunnydaze xxx

LB2

Pleased to see the January chat is active again. Sunnydaze sorry to hear FEC 3 has knocked you for 6. I have been pretty lucky with SE on FEC but like you also dreading the T which I start on Monday. I already get bone pain in my back or neck from the injections towards the end - I have it for 7 days. Strange how the number of injections seems to vary for everyone.  

Update on hair - I am still cold capping and have managed to hold on to the fringe and back of my hair. But the cold cap was very painful for the first 15 mins last time, presumably due to the fact I am bald on top although they put some gauze on my head to protect me. In fact my fringe has been growing but reluctant to trim it as I might be able to fashion some sort of comb over when the bald patch starts to fill in!  Still have eyelashes and eyebrows but I think they are thinning. Did anybody lose these on FEC? I think the T part is likely to affect them more.

And for those starting on the T part check when you need to start your steroids - for me I have to start the day before instead of on the morning of chemo.

We can do this! 

Hello lovely January ladies💕

I hope you are all doing well and coping in chemoland.

i haven’t posted for a while, but I have been reading your posts with interest. Hang on in there girls! FEC3 has been tough for me and I am now in my good week I have felt less nauseous this time round, due to better anti-sickness drugs, but I have been dogged with a general unwell feeling and a lack of energy and motivation. I have been unable to get out to walk as much or ho out on my new electric 🚵‍♀️ mountain bike. FEC3 has definitely knocked me about and floored me. The bounce back has taken much longer, day 14 and even now I hardly feel tip top. Has anyone else had problems with joints, muscles or inflammation on FEC (no injections)?

I have had problems with inflammation, swollen tummy and sore feet and ankles . I Was hardly able to walk between days 7-9, limping along. My Onc thinks it’s just inflammation and chemo will often find your weak points because I have had problems with my feet and joints before. This doesn’t bode too well for ‘T” . I’m not looking forward to the joint pain and inflammation.I hope it’s just a temporary thing. I don’t want any peripheral neuropathy either, this can often hang around permanently after chemo.😩😩

My arm is also sore now, not at the injection sight, but generally from my wrist to my elbow. It’s my veins. My oncologist told me, this has been caused by scarring of the veins, it will go down (eventually) but she also told me to rub voltarol into the sore areas on my arm. This is definitely working. Apparently vein scarring is caused by the Epirubicin, the E in FEC or as  my friend calls it,” the Red Devil”. My oncologist told me putting E into my veins was like putting Domestos into my veins.!!!!! I think my face fell when she told me this. Apparently “T” won’t be so damaging.🤞

I have definitely gained weight on FEC, probably about 6lbs, some of this is related to the chemo and steroids, but I have definitely been comforting eating, being housebound and inactivity induce weight gain 😩

I have been rubbing rosemary and almond Carrier oil into my scalp and my hair is actually growing 💕. It’s only thin spindly strands and not a proper growth, but I was pleased to see that it has still got capacity to grow.👍It’s not given up the fight. 🤞🤞🤞🤞It does upset me so much not having hair. I find hats easier to wear than my wig.

So, folks, that’s me. I’m in halfway land. No more FEC, it can FEC off hurry ! I await with displeasure for the hell that is “T” next week to continue  on this path of cack.

Big love and strength 💪❤️💕 to you all.

Sunnydazexx

Haven’t been here a while. Find this forum hard to follow. I noticed some are having mri. Is that standard during chemo. 

Having first of T tomorrow. Haven’t had any mri yet. 

LB

Hi Kip and Sparkie1 

i am due the MRI next week but I wanted to share that on my “benchmark “ MRI the stand out music track was “I will survive” I nearly started to chuckle but I was too nervous 😂  I ‘m relieved to hear that they’re not all going to get worse - this one has knocked me about more than the last 2 ☹️ I’m starting to feel a bit better now  so i’m looking forward to a few good days 👍 good luck and hugs to all 🤗

Thanks LB Smiley Happy Hope the MRI went okay. 

Kip - yes it was certainly a novel experience. I was after some tunes also but they wouldn’t let me have any Smiley Sad I do love a bit of inappropriate music hee hee 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning January warriors!   Just popped by to see how you are all doing.   Seems the chemo is doing its worst for some of you, hang in there.. what happens one cycle doesn't necessarily mean it will happen every cycle.  I see some of you have had MRIs?  That was an experience I'll never forget, the noise and the shaking (or maybe thats just my hospital's old machine) not to mention the dangling boobies!   At mine they gave me earphones to wear and some "nice" music to listen to.. first track was the theme from Titanic.. not exactly uplifting.. made me laugh though so I guess it helped.

Take care all of you...be strong...and kick this BC's butt

Kip

xxx

LB

Hi Sparkie2001 so sorry to hear that your treatment is not going to plan 🙁 I think I was wondering about the wig being uncomfortable as the MRI is a front facing scan of the breasts to check how the chemo is working. I think a hat or scarf will be best. Good luck with your continuing treatment 🤗

Hi LB 

I had an MRI yesterday and was a bit worried the wig would be uncomfortable so wore a hat instead. 

Good to hear everyone is ploughing on well with the chemo. I’ve had a few problems since the first cycle so everything has been deferred until they work out whether or not it’s safe to continue. Just when you thought things couldn’t get even more complicated... 

LB

Daisydi thanks i’ll give it a go and hope it doesn’t come off with the headphones 😂 

Hi LB as far as I am aware the only thing you have to watch out for with the MRI is metal as it is a big magnet.  So a wig should be fine as long as you dont have any hair clips x

LB

Hi I have a couple of MRI scans coming up - the first since I became a baldy - I was wondering if anyone else has had any and we’re they able to keep their wig on - I have some scarves so I guess I could take one with me just in case 🤗 

Will watch out for crisps then!  Really dont think cold cap would compromise treatment in any way as all its doing is trying to stop blood supply/chemo reaching your hair follicles.

I had the same thing Val Beach - a wierd painful scalp for a day or so midway through EC1 cycle, then a few strands more than usual came out the next day, but then it stopped.  I will continue with it for now, I'm just hoping it doesn't compromise the treatment - health over vanity every day!  You're right, I had a tight fit and horridly tight chin strap - my hair is really thick so I wore it for 3 and a half hours on Tuesday, eek. 

I'm also getting hot flushes now,  every half hour or so, it's not nice but not unbearable so far!

After my mastectomy and ANC I did get very achy on the other side (arm, not boob) - I figured it was mild repetative strain due to overuse, I'm now using my arms much more evenly and it's totally gone.  It's so easy to get bogged down by every twinge and let your brain run away with you Smiley Sad

Daisydi, your goodie bag sounds great!  I didn't get one but collected together similar things - Wethers Originals have been great to disguise the metal taste I get in my mouth.  Oh, just to warn you - some ladies love crisps & find they cut though the yukky mouth, & some don't - I'm gutted to say that I had a few mildly peppery crisps and it totally wrecked my mouth.  I didn't have mouth ulcers but every surface burnt, it was horrible.  Difflam mouthwash sorted me out, but it took a week.  No more crisps for me Smiley Sad

xxx

I’m cold capping , after about a week and a half after first chemo my scalp around my crown started to tingle and was tender , a few days after that I started to loose some hair , I’ve had 2 ecs now and my hair is slightly thinner but no visible patches, I will definitely continue , just make sure the cap is tight fitting  , and the chin strap is done up firmly , good luck 😉 

Well I’m having a bit of a melt down today 😬 I’m thinking I’ve gone into menopause, which is normal I’m told ( third ec ) next week , having hot flushes but my opposite breast ( the healthy one ) is tender , ( it was before all this ) and my arm , underneath, towards my armpit is a little sore , I sit there and convince myself it’s now in nodes , ( even tho my nodes on bad side are clear ) my sis pointed out that I’m using that arm more ( due to pain after node biopsy on opposite arm ) I’m not sleeping very well and I’m tense , I can’t feel anything under arm , and presume nodes are working overtime both sides due to this illness , onc checked both breasts , arm pits , collar bone etc 2 weeks ago and quite happy , breast nurse says I’m over thinking and this is normal ? Anyone else convincing themselves it’s everywhere ? My lump started to shrink after 1 st ec ,and onc quite happy , every time I’m told something positive my head comes up with a negative 😬 

I am having cold cap too.  I have read and researched a lot into it.  My friend has also sent me some very expensive product to use with it.  I expect to lose some hair with the cold cap but it does help apparently and helps the hair to grow back quicker apparently.  My friend used it and had a couple of bald patches by her third session and they would not let her use it the third time and she lost most of her hair.  She was so upset that she rang Paxman who make the cold cap and they assured her that it could be used with bald patches but that they had to put a theatre cap over your head.  She is really nagging me to be very firm with my nurses and also to make sure it is really tight as wherever it doesnt touch the hair will go.

Hi Bluetit good to hear from you.  Been to the chemo unit today, had a blub, heart scan,ecg and tomorrow bone scan but its all systems go for Monday at 9am. Got tons of paperwork to read and the emergency number.  Very scared now but just want it over and done with.  They are referring me for a wig which I am hoping I wont need. Picked up some dark nail polish so will do toenails over the weekend.  A local charity provides a box of goodies for ladies undergoing chemo so Ive got one of those too.  You wouldnt believe all the stuff in there.  Even lolly makers and cordial and kettle chips and mints and so much more.  That did bring a tear to my eye.  Hope you get the KFC.  Thinking of you xx

Oh & my other worry today is if I'm doing the right thing by getting the cold cap - I presume it wouldn't be offered if it reduced chemo effectiveness...... does anyone have any good research/ articles to help set my mind at rest? Thank you xxx

I just press reply as well Val Beach, not sure if there's another way! 😂

Daisydi - how are you feeling? Nearly there now!

Stuck at 14- glad you're back at home.  Thank you for reminding me that it's good to be a bit anxious at times, checking temp etc.

I'm day 3 after EC 2, & feeling physically better than last time.  I'm waiting for a call about my CT full bone scan & can't concentrate on anything other that the phone!  It's so horrible waiting for results. 

I really want a KFC!  (Day 3 of EC 1 I really wanted a sausage sandwich... what's that all about?! Maybe steroids, maybe comfort...?)

Sending love to all xxx

How do I get my messages on here without going into reply ? Or am I being daft ? 😄

She wasn’t sick , tired , upset and when she said she tried cold cap but didn’t like it , her hair was perfectly blow dried as she left the hospital , a bit different from reality but at least it’s getting talked about x 

Also is anyone else watching cold feet? How is Jen getting through chemo so well!?

Hi all, yep I came home yesterday- I know other people have had the same experience but I did just want to say that I ignored feeling a bit shivery for a couple of days before I called the hospital. I needed to be there, I was diagnosed as having neutropenic sepsis, low blood pressure and low potassium so all of that was dealt with. So just please don't ignore that feeling of being a bit 'off' and keep a close eye on your temperature! 

Here's to resting and getting close to the midway mark! Xxx

@LB wrote:

Hi Lorraine 1 we're on the same regime - my third FEC was yesterday too.  I'm not doing too bad - about the same as the previous two so I'm following a pattern.  I was so sleepy and woozy yesterday evening - dropped into bed and slept for ages. I'm not too nauseus - thanks to the Emend and the other anti sicks. In my session yesterday I sat next to a lady who's had ovarian cancer surgery and her infusions take 6 hours!! each time. I'm going to be having Herceptin and Pertuzamub after FEC 4 with the T.  Apparently they keep you there for several hours with the first in case of side effects but at least I won't be hooked up all that time. 

Hugs to all going through and coming out off their chemo fogs. xx

LB

Hi Lorraine 1 we're on the same regime - my third FEC was yesterday too.  I'm not doing too bad - about the same as the previous two so I'm following a pattern.  I was so sleepy and woozy yesterday evening - dropped into bed and slept for ages. I'm not too nauseus - thanks to the Emend and the other anti sicks. In my session yesterday I sat next to a lady who's had ovarian cancer surgery and her infusions take 6 hours!! each time. I'm going to be having Herceptin and Pertuzamub after FEC 4 with the T.  Apparently they keep you there for several hours with the first in case of side effects but at least I won't be hooked up all that time. 

Hugs to all going through and coming out off their chemo fogs. xx

Hooray! EC number 3 down (yesterday) and only one more to go in March then I'll be half way. How is everyone else who's had EC3 or FEC3 feeling? I'm queasy but was 3 hours late taking my Emend and steroids as slept in. 

Stuck, I hope by now you're back home?

Big hugs to all who are emerging from number 3 or about to go in xxx

Such a shame to have happened in half term, but brilliant you acted quickly.

Rest up & really hope you perk up soon xxx

Thanks blue tit. I had a high temp, felt 'jippy' and then had the squits on the loo- called hosp and they sent me straight to a and e. Now having  iv antibiotics amongst other injections etc. Very upsetting and means our half trio plans are having to be cancelled. So no not difficult - I knew I wasn't right. Just hope they are happy with my bloods sooner rather than later. 

Oh no! Recover quickly!!!  Sending hugs xxx

(What happened, was it to do with your temperature? Was it easy making the decision to go to A&E?)

Sorry for the questions, please don't reply til you're ready... xxxxxxx

My turn! A and e this morning and blood ward until those white blood cells get back up 😭

Will be thinking of you tomorrow Bluetit.  Loads of love and luck xxx

Glad you have your regime DaisyDi.

I'm on 4x EC then 4x T.  My 2nd EC will be in the 19th as long as my bloods are ok.

My radiotherapy will also be a big area like yours.

Thank you for worrying about me, that's lovely to hear - sorry I hid - I kept reading threads that scared me, so I needed to keep my distance for a bit.

It's really hard to juggle treatment, for me it's trying not to get all the bugs the kids bring home from school.  BUT, we'll do it & we'll be supported by all these amazing ladies here & we'll encourage and cheer each other on.  Step by step, crawl by crawl, we'll get there xxxxx

xxx

God I was so worried about you Bluetit. So pleased you've reemerged!  I found out this week I will start on Monday 25th Feb  6 cycles 3x FEC and 3xT but not sure I will manage all and have agreed to a review after first 3.  I really do not want chemo, who does?  I am so scared and I just cannot bear the thought of losing my hair.  I will cold cap and I have thick hair so fingers crossed.  My bone scan is on Friday but they have said the treatment wouldnt change anyway.  Are you having 6 cycles too?  Oncologist also said that when radiotherapy comes around they would do my neck too to zap those lymph nodes.  Also this week I have an echo and ecg and meeting at the onco unit.  My whole life has been taken over by this.  My poor mum has dementia and is in a care home and now I am really frightened to vist her in case of bugs but I wont be able to stay away for months as she asks where I am if I dont go.  When is your next treatment?

DaisyDi- soooo happy that your CT was clear.  Do you know what drug regime you'll be on yet?   I've just had another CT - this time a full bone scan.... hoping it's to just tick the box!

Trixie lady - My privates started moulting this morning too! I'm cold capping but don't think my head hair will be far behind as my scalp is a little uncomfortable. 

EC 2 will be on Tues.... EC 1 Week 1 was hard but do-able.  I was on ABx for throat infection at same time which didn't help side effects! I got really anxious & panicky on day 6 & now wonder if that was the steroid crash? Will pay attention to day 6 next time round. This week I've felt good - I just get tired quickly.  

I'm really struggling how to balance not isolating myself against not being tooo risky with socialising... Any tips would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you xxxxx

Hi G 

Thanks you've just answered my question 13 day into my first chemo and still have my hair was wondering when it might start going noticed today other more personal area's were on the move xx

Sorry your 2nd one hasn't been good mines 25th Feb dreading it  trying to stay positive xx big hugs we're right somewhere near xx

I'm same as you LB but my 3rd EC on Tues. I'm half dreading it and half wanting to get it over, as I'll then be one step nearer to EC4 which is my half-way point. Cold capping again and hoping I don't shed as much hair after number 3 as I did after number 2. 

Stuckat14, I do the same. 2 lymph nodes positive and told my cancer had 'aggressive' features like extra vascular invasion (cancer cells in a vein in the removed tissue surrounding the tumour) and extranodal extension from one cancerous lymph node which makes me think it's still floating around in my body and then I too think I couldn't go through all this again. Then, when I feel better, I think the chemo will kill it all and I have to remain mentally strong. I go back and forth a lot and it tends to be late at night.

Good luck to everyone doing or just done no 3 xxx

Hi , isn’t the 3 am to 4 am wide awake club amazing , not 😬

I’ve been using the Breethe app , well worth it , at those times in the morning , they even have a going through chemo meditation, just thinking about your breathing helps your head change the subject ( if that makes sense ) or I watch utter rubbish I’ve recorded , it doesn’t matter what time it is as I can snooze the next day 💤 this forum has been brilliant as all us ladies all know exactly how we feel , I’m on 2nd ec , 9 days ago , have the achy muscle , fluey feeling and a few hot flushes but it’s my mental health that I’m really trying to work on , 

I write a diary , I put every positive quote I see in my phone , I talk about “it” when ever it’s doing my head in and I except that sometimes I’m going to feel s@@t ! We’re all in this together ladies , we’re all here for each other and I think it’s brilliant 😄 big hot flushy , tired , achy , sore , hugs to you xx and don’t read google ! 

LB

My 3rd FEC coming up on Tuesday.  I'm not looking forward to it.  I've been "nesting" all week - everything ready for a week of fog.  I, too, must try not to read too much information before bed - too many hours looking at the ceiling in the dark.

Hugs to all xx

Hi all- im just coming out of ec2 fog (although a much lighter fog than ec1). I was up from 3am this morning reading 'predict' website and just worrying bout the future. Consultants have said 'cured' and I've as much chance as anyone else to reach 80 after all my treatment but I had 9 positive nodes and just know that means my chances of recurrence are higher, whatever the statistics. I can do this, but I can't do terminal and I can't even do this again. Sorry I'm just having a moment and thought if anyone will understand it's you lot.  

Hugs to those of you on ec3! Half way through in some cases I think so that's good! 

Chins up, I'll climb out of this hole soon xxx

G

Third EC down and I too most definitely did not want to do it...been a bit of a grumpy thing all morning!!!  Not helped as it is half term next week and I am going to be useless (I too will disappear on here for a week at least) which makes me cross that it is impacting my girls....to be fair, the other treatments don’t fall too badly and as I go on until end of May that’s not bad given there will be both Easter and May half terms (trying to convince myself 😂).

I have had my dose adjusted down today due to how awful I felt last time, and then they have also had to adjust the E chemo down some more after my blood results came back  (liver function a bit comprised) so I am really hoping this will all serve to make things better 🙏.

Anyway, sending lots of kind words to anyone still suffering side effects or about to embark 💗

Hi All,

Well it’s that time again, getting my EC3 today. 

Got the usual anxiety but I need to get on with it. 

I hope everyone is doing OK.

I am off to hibernate for about a week!

Take care everyone, speak again when I feel more human 😊.

xxx

Re my message above,  and talking to others, Im beginning to think my "episode" over the park was due to panic attack or body in shock.  Never experienced that before.  Just hope it never happens again . x

Hi Bluetit, hope you are feeling ok.  I got my results from CT today and all was good so I will be starting chemo in a couple of weeks so not far behind you ...