1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January chemo starters ?

Crazytimes2017

Re: January chemo starters ?

Hi peeps. Just joining this thread - starting herceptin, Dulox' and Carbo' on 15th!
Just been for tour of chemo suite, and been advised I'm gonna need a hickman line Fitted for my treatmets. Anyone got any experience of these - quite anxious about it tbh.
RosieH

Tracey I my onco said if they do Chemo first they like to start with the T then the FEC, Im wondering if thats any worse or easier as I havent read anyone else say theyve had it that way round.

I now cant wait to start...I have to stop seeing patients at work tomorrow in prep for next weeks Chemo which is making me a bit sad as I love my job but needs must I guess. 

Dont know about you other ladies but all I can think is I want this bloody thing out of me!!!!

Jamesy46

Forgot to say , bone scan is Thursday and onco meeting is the 8 th so I should imagine first cycle not long after that x already had my surgery 2WLE and no lymph nodes involved , so that’s good , after chemo got rads and herceptin as HER2 positive x
I’ve got a cruise booked for October so I’m focusing on getting well for that , long way off I know and I don’t want to rush the year but will be glad to get to the summer x
Jamesy46

Hi sue , I live in my own , but I have four lovely daughters who will keep popping in , I’m not very artistic and scarves will prob end up like a badly placed tea towel ! I’ve bought some turban beanie type things , I may buy a wig I’ve not really decided yet , but don’t want to frighten the grand kids , a bobble hat will prob be my staple lol xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Oh and I forgot to say...... What will you be doing re. hairloss? I used scarves, so that is something to look into. A sleep hat is a must because it can make quite a mess and then keep your head warm xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi jamesy

Sounds like you're all ready really organized!! When is your first cycle?

In terms of purchases, maybe some ibroprofen and something for constipation/diarrhea. You may not need them but always good to have some in the cupboard.

What I always advise before starting chemo, is to be prepared for that first week, when you may not be feeling up to much. Stock up the fridge, maybe get in some ready meals, get the washing and ironing done and then that way you can sit back and rest. Maybe get some box sets?! I found that the first week I struggled with fatigue. I felt perfectly fine, just quite happy to sit and watch the TV.

Do you have anyone to support you? If anyone offers help, then take it!

Hope this helps

Sue xx

Jamesy46

Hiya Sue , is there a list of things that you think we should buy , I’m such an organised person and just want to feel ready , I’ve been to the dentist , had my hair cut , and put a thermometer on hold in Argos , I’ve got Manuka honey , which I love , I’ve been flipping through all the monthly threads trying to tick off my list , can you advise what else I will need , not cheap is it this BC x
Sue C
Community Champion

Morning Ladies

Just popping in to say hi!

I had chemo in 2016, so please ask if you have any questions. I will always be around and will follow the thread. I'm happy for you to PM me if you wish. I may not always have the answers but I will probably know who has!

Best wishes for your chemo, and remember...... It won't be as bad as you think.

Sue xx

Shocked

Thanks Rosie- one battle at a time is all we can do.

Mrs MG - thanks for letting us know about the chemo talk I will be reasy and armed with my 100 questions tomorrow - was going to go alone but think it may ne nest to take my hubby along so he knows whats coming, Did the nurse gude you on where to get a wig - not quite sure where to start with that?

From looking at the forum chats (I know its tailored to the patient) but most seem  to be on FEC-T chemo for 6 cycles is that the norm (if there is one)?? 

Tracy12059

Hi Rosie
If I remember correctly, as it’s all a blur, I’m getting it that way round too. No idea why but hey there the professionals!
Phinou - you say your split opinion re the pic line - gave you considered a portacath if they will give you one? I’m getting mine next Monday and from what I’ve heard and read it’s going to make things much quicker & bearable if you have a needle phobia or in my case really poor veins. Good luck whatever you choose.
Anniej I too hate being sick - I pass out when I’m sick which is horrendous so I will be definitely taking the drugs! That is my biggest fear in regards to the side effects.
Well ladies it’s back to work for me tomorrow for a few days before the treatment starts. Had my last glass of proseco tonight and could do with detoxing before the battle commences!!!! Goodnight and catch you all soon. Hugs 💕 xx
RosieH

Is anyone having their T first and then their FEC? I haven’t read anywhere about anyone else doing it that way.

shooked it’s so hard to say this just in typing and sound genuine but I am so sorry you’re having to deal with this and Parkinson’s that’s no mean feat. 

Mrs MG good luck Wednesday will be thinking of you xxx

Xxx

Phinou

tRe: January chemo starters ?

Hi, I also will start in January probably on the 12th. I have been diagnosed in December. I will have 4x EC and 4x T and then I will have a surgery. Then I am not sure if I will have radiotherapy. I am quite anxious and have a needle phobia, hopefully I will relax a bit when the treatment will start. I haven't cut my hair yet. I think I will wait until few days before. I am not sure if I am cutting them short, or shaving all off and use a wig from the beginning. I don't want to see my hair falling out. I think I will ask for a PICC line, I have a split opinion about it, and proably need to ask more questions about it.

Good luck everyone!

Jamesy46

I had my long hair cut really short a few weeks ago so I could get used to it , I flipping hate it x just thought it won’t be as upsetting as watching my long hair come out x it needs cutting again now but I’m probably starting middle week of jan so do I bother ?
This is looming now , I was diagnosed 6 October and it’s fled so I’m hoping the chemo and Rads go as quick x
MrsMG

I’ve got my haircut booked in for 20th January, husband is having his hair done that morning too so am going to get in before his hair cut and just ask for it to be cropped really short. Put on sandy ( I’ve named the wig after sandy shaw) and probably snivel in the corner whilst he’s having his hair cut .
Felt a bit defeated this morning as things we had booked we had to cancel ( was due to see Alice Cooper in November but it was just a week after my mastectomy so didn’t feel up to it. And we had booked to go to Boston for my husbands birthday. Again that’s had to be cancelled ! ) but we are off on holiday once this is all done and dusted ! That’s something to look forward to .
WhyteFawn

Just a note on hair. Mine started to come out just before 2nd FEC. it really got on my nerves and went everywhere. It started to grow back after my last FEC I have had 2xT and my head feels like suede with the little hairs growing back. I haven't bothered with a wig but just had scarves and hats.
WhyteFawn

Hi ladies. I know you are starting chemo in Jan and probably don't think it's a very good start to the new year. Just wanted to say that you are not alone. We've all been there. I spend most of my time on the Oct thread. I've completed 3xFEC and 2xT my last one is due on 19th Jan. At the start of the journey it feels almost impossible but it's not. We can all do it. We're doing it everyday. This year will be great as we will all get the treatment we need.
I know you must be scared. I know the feeling well. But you can do it. Anytime you want pop along to the other threads where there are wonderful people who can help and share experiences. Even just to hear you when you're feeling down. Try and stay strong but don't beat yourself up if you feel down.
Lots of love, Cassie x
Jamesy46

Thank you so much for your reassurance , I’m not very practical with scarves etc and I don’t really feel that I want a wig ( prob will get one ?) so I’m glad it’s winter I will have a woolly bobble hat on x
When does it start growing back at the end of the fec or at end of t if you have fec-t , I’m hoping by summer I will have a covering for my hols xxx I’m absolutely dreading it xx
MrsMG

It was just us and a nurse. It was nice as we could ask lots of questions
Kirstyp86

I’m terrified of starting chemo so I love hearing the positives thanks Anniej xxx
Rosie H I’m doing ok but now xmas and nye is over Its all I can think about , I’ve got my meeting tomorrow and last Friday had a CT scan so I’m guessing the oncologist will talk me through the results of that etc ,
I no I’m having my chemo first then my operation , then rads so I’m trying to focus on just chemo at the minute and not think further ahead or il scare myself lol,
I have got myself a good wig but I am still scared of the hair loss , I also read about nails falling off which I had no idea about so that shocked me !
I’m sorry for u having to cancel ur holidays we have had to as well but like u all said, think how much more special it’s going to be when we all beat this and then go away after! Xxxxx
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi ladies, just popping in to give some reassurance, if I can. Re hair loss - I always said I didn't care about losing my hair. My wig was fab and looked just like my own hair. However, and this just floored me, when it came to having the shave it was a different matter. I didn't take into account how hormonal I was with the chemo. I did take precautions by having my lovely hairdresser do it so it was more impersonal, and hubby held hand, the one without the very large glass of wine! 🍷 I was glad to get rid of it as it hurt at the roots as it died off, and I was sick of waking up with a hairball in my throat!!! On the plus side, I have an extremely lovely selection of hats and scarves which I will continue to wear. I've discovered a new, more adventurous me.

I found the chemo experience much much better than I could imagine. Obviously very scared, but put at ease by the nursing staff. The procedure was simple and painless. Obviously the side effects are different for everyone, even with the same chemo. Make sure you take all the drugs you are offered, especially the anti sickness ones. I was given Emend which was fab. I have a horror of being sick, so made sure I got the best there was at the very beginning.  Won't say it was a walk in the park, but will say it was doable. Good luck on your journey, ladies. We'll be looking out for you and helping you along. 🍀 X

Shocked

Hi MrsMG - 

Can’t believe how quickly January has come around - good luck for tomorrow and Wed. Was the chemo talk a group session?

MrsMG

Hi ladies. Went to my chemo talk yesterday. Walking and and hated it but once I had spoken to the nurse I feel a lot better.
Nice long walk to walk off all the gin I drank last night and tomorrow all systems go with the picc line fitting and Wednesday first lot of chemo. Will let you know how it goes !
Shocked

Hi Rosie

I've had an MRI with a contrast injection last month but it was to look at a tumour on my pituatory gland (don't ask I'm falling apart 🙂

Shocked

I've been cancelling our trip we had booked for Easter to sunny FL this week as well as our Christmas trip  - we have just sold our house out in sunny FL  (because of other health issues - I was diagnosed with Parkinsons at the grand old age of 43 in May) and had a cruise booked as a consolation but I dont want to go on holiday until I know the cancer is gone.  So glad 2017 is gone but I know we have a tough 6 months coming up.

Tracy - I know exactly where you are coming from re living with your parents - my mum is literally a 5 minute walk away and I know its that she loves me but I have had to tell her already that I will let her know when I need her - sounds really bad but sometimes you need a bit of you time. 

RosieH

Ps...on a very practical front. Has anyone had the scans with contrast injection? Xxx

RosieH

Hi ladies

perhaps we can go Happy June-ish 2018 onwards!!!!

Tracey you’ve got so much too deal with, little one and your husband away. It’s hard enough dealing with grown up children emotion. 

Jamesy, I think your grandchildren probably won’t bat an eye, or think it’s cool but I am sorry you are living alone I hope your family are close. 

Kirsty are you doing ok? I didn’t half feel better once I knew the plan...

and finally shocked I hope you’re doing ok and healing. 

Just a top tip and it really depends on what floats your boat but there are some really good and very inspiring YouTube hair loss videos. One is a Vogue one and it certainly made me feel stronger.

Lots of love ladies and hears to us getting through this without any hitches xxx

Tracy12059

Hi RosieH & shocked
Yes I’m having chemo first then surgery. My surgeon said it’s because of the size of the tumour v the size of me! I’m petite and slim and she said if she removed the lump beforehand there’s a big chance she would remove most of the breast therefore if she could shrink it first it would be better. I’m dreading the side effects too - I’ve had a wig fitting already and that should be ready in early January but the thought of all my hair falling out really upsets me. I’m not good at being ill so I’m going to find this really hard. I’m moving in with my parents too whilst I’m having the chemo and Hubby is away so I’m not alone - I love them dearly and there fab but all living together is going to be a challenge!!!! I’m really worried about the week where we’re really prone to infection too especially with a 6 year old in school as they pick everything going up 😢.
Shocked - Lapland was amazing and I’m so blessed to be able to have gone and made the memories. I’m so sorry you had to cancel Florida - we will have to do the same too as we’re booked to go in April when I will still be having chemo 😢. At least we can hopefully do it at the end of next year and really enjoy it!
Lovely to hear from so many ladies in the same position as I am at the moment. I’m finding today hard - people keep sending me happy new year wishes and whilst I really appreciate them I also know the first 6 months of 2018 are going to be the toughest of my entire life so far. That said here’s wishing you all a happy new year and loads of luck with your treatments - together we can beat this xx 💕
Jamesy46

Hi I was diagnosed October and have got my first oncologist meeting jan 8 th , have had surgery and have got bone scan jan 4 th x I’m scared stif about chemo and hair loss , which for me I just wonder what my little grandchildren will think x I live on my own so I’m also a little scared of the side effects too xx
Jamesy46

Kirstyp86

I’m so glad I found this thread , I love reading all ur comments ur all such strong amazing woman xxxx

I got diagnosed 22nd December and 2nd jan I am meeting the oncologist to talk me through my chemo plan , so I’m pretty sure il be a jan starter .
It’s been a whirlwind few weeks but I’m ready to just crack on with it now xxxx

Massive hugs xxxx
Shocked

Hi Tracey

As Rosie has already said we can be scared and get through this together. It must have been an emotional day for you and your hubby.

I still don't have a date to start chemo or what type I'm having but should get that on Wednesday. I'm freaking out a bit about the whole chemo and hair thing at the moment.

Lapland must have been so magical with your little lad - they grow so fast and so its fab you've had this time over Christmas - my lad is 13 so its not so magical anymore. We were supposed to fly out to Florida for 3 weeks but I had to cancel as my surgeon wanted to get my MX and reconstruction done before Christmas - she openly said it was so she could meet the targets set for them rather than urgency but at least its done, 

RosieH

Hi Tracey...

its ok we can be terrified together. You start on the 11th I’m the 12th not sure when Shocked starts yet but I’m guess soon as she recovers from her mx. 

Im freakishly worried about the hair thing, I know I should be concerned about the cancer but in my head it’s about feeling ill on chemo or loosing my hair!! Are you having surgery afterwards as well? 

I think these threads are amazing because this cancer thing can feel quite a lonely old business xx

Tracy12059

Hi. I’m due to start my chemo on the 11th January. Having a portacath inserted on the 8th first as my veins are really bad. I’m having 6 sessions (3xfec & 3 x docetaxel).

I was diagnosed on the 9th November after noticing some puckering to my breast. A massive shock as it is to us all. To allow me to enjoy Christmas I had a one month hormone therapy implant inserted on the 29th November and a course of Letrozole tablets. We had a day trip to Lapland booked on the 23rd December and we’ve had a fabulous Christmas as a family with my 6 year old boy but now the reality is starting to kick in and I’m starting to panic about the chemo. I’m trying to stay positive as I’m going to kick the butt of this and see my little boy grow up but I am apprehensive. My husband also works abroad and had to go back to Hong Kong today so feeling a tad emotional.

X
Shocked

You are so right about every appointment being a step closer to the end of all of this. I am still uncomfortable after the mx but its mainly around where they took the nodes in the SNB so in my armpit more than my chest and its weird having a false boob attached - its going to take some getting used to I cannot wait to be able to sleep in a normal position again, The real kicker is that with most surgery you get to recover and thats it but with this its dreading the next stage. 

Had a major wobble about my hair today - I know its the least of my worries but its a big thing.

RosieH

Hi Shocked

it makes sense too me I couldn’t wait for my oncology as soon as I knew it was chemo first. Every appointment is like a step closer to the end of this awful nightmare. 

You are you feeling post mx?

October ladies I’ve stalked your thread and it’s been so helpful. Amazing the different experiences everyone has...made me feel less alone xxx

Shocked

October ladies -  thanks for popping over and sharing. Bit too uncomfortable at the moment to prepare anything after mx but will be sure to get my other half to start preparing 😏

Shocked

Hi Rosie

glad you have a plan and can still work  - I'm unbearable at the moment as I don't know what's coming weirdly can't wait for my appointment with oncology so I know what the plan is.

Ruth07

Hi ladies I am also from our October thread and thought I would pop in to say hello and wish everyone all the best ♥️💕
I am about to have my first T tomorrow after my 3 FEC and like you it feels like starting again not quite knowing what will happen. But what I do know is that whatever I feel I know it will eventually pass and get better even though it might not feel like it at the time and that if I have any problems or questions I can come on here, as I did do many times with FEC, and there will be someone with a shared experience and some advice to offer.
None of us wants to be here but I have found that I no longer feel alone and that a little mad humour can go a long way in getting through everything. And everyone on here truly cares.
I hope everyone has all their dates soon and then you can settle into getting ready. Hopefully you can find the lists of great things to help you prepare but let us know if you need them again as we are all very happy to share and our lovely Shi and Meesh from our October thread can both reel them off as if it is the Generation Game 😁😁
Ruth07

RosieH

Hi ladies saw the oncologist today and I’m having Fec-t but I’m having the t first!!! So seminal node next week and first chemo the following week!!Feel better for knowing when but very scared about the rest!! Trying to enjoy all the simple pleasures in life at the moment as I know I might not for a while!! Onco did say I could still work though just not my normal role because I’m a Paramedic practioner and I can’t see pt’s but I can workin the office which for me is a huge thing...2 weeks and it all starts. Who else has got dates? Xx

Katiebash

I was diagnosed with havibg breast cancer on the 13th December .. to say I'm terrified would be an understatement but I'm determined to stay positive abd best this. 

All I know at the momen is that I have to have 6 chemo sessions ... possible surgery then 3 weeks of radiotherapy... I know nothing about chemo etc ... the cold cap scares the life out of me ... but hey ho I'll face it and do my best to keep a smile on m face. A letter arrived from the hospital this morning ... I have an outpatients appointment on Friday 5th January 

Meesh73

Hello January ladies! I've just popped over from the October thread. The waiting is one of the hardest parts because you don't know what to expect and everyone feels like that. Plodding on is really all you can do. As Cassie has said try to get things like housework and some meals done so that you can just heat stuff up if you don't feel like doing much or even for your family to eat so you don't have to worry about feeding them. I would also say don't worry about calling your onc unit if you're suffering or worried about anything as they can adjust meds and tell you what to do rather than worrying yourself silly.

you will get lots of support from this forum but also lots of laughs too which help you get through this. Feel free to pop on other threads and ask if you've got questions, we're a friendly bunch.

Shocked

Hi Rosie, I hope your appointment with Oncology goes OK today - let us know how you get on,

RosieH

Hi ladies

i start in January, got my first appointment with Oncology Wednesday then senital node the next week then Chemo. I am so worried about it...xx

Fiona17

Hi MrsMG and Shocked - if you look back to the beginning of the threads you’re both feeling what we all felt before we started. What will happen, how will I feel, how long will it take and a dozen other questions. All I can say is I found it more scarey beforehand than when I actually got there. The staff are great and no question is silly. Try not to let your thoughts get the better of you and talk to your BCN about any fears. Do your best to enjoy Christmas with your family and friends rest up. Pop into any of the threads, we’re all members of the club nobody wants to join and support each other through the mire. Good Luck x

MrsMG

Hi , had my mastectomy in November, have decided that I am going to enjoy Christmas and just go for it in the new year ,
As my husband says “plod on” 😉
Shocked

Hi MrsMG - not had any date as yet but just back from the hospital, had MX and SNB last week and now have the results so I will be starting chemo in the new year. Also very unsure what to expect like you. 

WhyteFawn

It's a good feeling to know what's happening but it does make it all that more real. I can't comment about a PICC line as I don't have one but if you post on the other threads there's loads of people with them. I would say be as prepared as you can before chemo. Be aware that you won't feel like doing much for probably a week or so after so plan ahead and get anything you need to do beforehand. Any help or advice you think we can offer just let us know. Everyone has a different experience but we can say what helped us best.
Cassie x
MrsMG

This blasted phone and it’s predictive text !! 😂
MrsMG

Hi will be starting the same as you. I’ve got my introduction meeting in New Year’s Eve and then I’m off to my local pub for a party hen line being fitted on 2 and then starting on the 3rd. Got my dates this afternoon, for the last week I’ve been “where’s my dates? When do I start? And now I know I’m like .. OH !
My motto is to keep plodding and read up on the other monthly threads.
Thanks for replying x