1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

January chemo starters ?

amyjb

Re: January chemo starters ?

T1 day 12 (? we count the day it goes in yeah?) and although I feel better I wouldn't say I feel great, low energy and still not great taste which makes me feel a bit sick - anyone else still using anti-sickess this far along?

Be careful Jamesy, I found days 5 - 10 hardest!🐟

Aliand, I'm wondering if you're having a smaller dose of 4?  Might explain your milder SE's, ooor maybe you are Wonder Woman?!  They might reduce mine yet...woke up on Friday and my hands were red, swollen and painful so I went in to see the chemo nurses who all seemed to think it was related to the T and said I should take some pics to show onc on Thursday.  Said she'd probably make some changes to the treatment plan πŸ€”

Wow Rosie, can't believe you're finished!  And Dealdoh will be next πŸ‘ You should have a read back from the beginning of this thread to see your journey, you should be so proud - we all should (I don't yet but I'm sure I will once I'm done!)

Shocked, I started to lose my brows and lashes while on EC so just waiting for the rest to depart.  I'm already using brow products (L'oreal micro tattoo and brow pomade, both very good) and I've got my LGFB session on Tuesday, hopefully it's better than some other's experiences. 
I haven't lost any feeling in my fingers thankfully, but that could change next time round considering the state of my hands already.  I do have a bit of numbness in one of my heels tho πŸ˜•πŸ 

Jamesy46

Ooh aliand I hope so . It certainly feels like it at the moment , by day 4 on last fec I felt really ill , I was contemplating going holiday shopping with my daughter this morning but thought best not push it lol . So sitting with my two litres of elderflower water and chilling x long may this continue x
Shocked

Jamesy hope things remain goo dish for you and you breeze through this round xx

MOAN ALERT My fingers are getting worse I can’t get pills out of.a blister pack now not sure if this is normal they are prickly but there is a lack of feeling on the tips and the nails are sore I’m just constantly massaging with lots of hydromol on them in the hope I’ll get some feeling back - will phone the unit tomorrow just so they can make a note.

Mouth is virtually normal now just one blister left but my throat is still a little so so think there may still be a few sores left in my throat,  typically everything will look fine by the time I see the Onc on Wed he’ll think I am just moaning at him again I just hope he will consider changing the dose. 

Aliand that’s not fair re. hair. 

Need a distraction today - hmmmm 

Aliand

Jamsey you may not. I think I’ve coped better on T than on FEC. Tiredness more pronounced and still not much taste but hey I’ll take that !
πŸ€ͺ🐠🐟🐬
Jamesy46

Morning all T1 day 4 , phew al kicked in last night , heartburn and aches all over body after I did injection , mouth is still sore so difflam at the ready , still managed to sleep ok , keep getting flushed so my Hickman dressings keep peeling off ! But I’ve git a drawer full of meds and so far for me better than fec as I have no sickness whatsoever !! Yay ! Is this still early days and will I come back down to earth with a bump ? So far so goodish ?? 🐠🐠🐠
Aliand

T 1 day 12
My eyebrows are very thin and so are my eyelashes. But I’ve got growing lip hair !!! Usually I use a cream to remove it but don’t like to as I fear it may damage my skin.
What an injustice !

Energy levels rebooting slowly.
Taste still pants

I’m swimming though.
Moijan

79026F49-3C9F-48B5-997F-DD903B2B8EF5.jpeg

29007C7A-D3D5-46D4-BA22-247908C9A269.jpegFC3AA737-B994-4DC9-BFAD-45E47DF440D0.jpeg87B893EF-70A6-4C46-8322-C1D2805774C9.jpeg

Moijan

Hi Mackneesh,I’m om taxol weekly for most of the summer.....I find day 1 and 2 are ok(don’t overdo stuff on day. 2 as I did and it was fatal...take it easy)

I find I’m queasy most of the time, but not sick, was advised to graze on tiny snacks all the time and that does seem to work...was given drugs which would help, but then can’t drive so have mostly avoided those.

’

Sore mouth - this comes in on day 3, but  I use mouthwash given to my by the hospital now and rinse mouth every time I have eaten food and at bedtime.

bowels, yes tendency to get constip, but I now do try to drink about three litres of water a day, intake 500 mls bottles with me and try to keep track...also I drink jugs of decaf tea rather than mugs,....just to keep count.and bran at breakfast seems to work..

sore fingers, dry skin, I use aveeno at least twice a day.

Someone mentioned losing eyebrows...hasn’t happened yet on taxol, but it did on Eribulin...I went to a macmillan...’look good feel better course’

these are run by beauty therapists, who give you a BIG bag of famous makes , makeup and demo exactly how to replace eyebrows with make up....really good session to do! All free.

Very best wishes to you Mackneesh and everyone else on Taxol or other....there are food guides for this drug which I posted before....they say,, no caffeine any source, for one thing -will see if I can find them

πŸ€—

hugs, ?Moijanxx

RosieH

Shocked...Fec has stolen most of my eyebrows. I have some random stragglers. I bought real hair stick on ones!!!! Don’t rush and get them it looked like two caterpillars had taken up residence on my face!, 

My hair started to grow back around the time of my second T.

Have no ladygarden hair, no leg hair but normal arm hair...what’s that all about!!!

Macneeth...T takes longer to kick in than FEC so make the most of day one and two...then use painkillers if you need them don’t just soldier on...take care of yourself xxx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies 😘😘eyebrows and eyelashes will come back quickly between weeks 4-6 after finishing chemo πŸ‘top tip from my lovely lady on the ysl counter is to get using the mascara as soon as you can to train lashes to curl again and stop them growing straight, it’s worked well. Macneech I had Imodium on standby and also upped my carbs on t because it gave me and the May girls πŸŒͺbotty, but I think aliand has had botty bung up on the t. Have you painted your nails black to protect from uv light? T is the one that’ll have your nails without protection. Buddyfan on Oct πŸš‚with me used vitamin e oil I think and Ruth used something similar too, you could pm them πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Macneech

Hello Jan ladies,I have popped over from the Feb chemo starters hoping for some top tips please.Done the Fec😁but due to start T soon.Survival advice greatly appreciated xxx

Shocked

My nails hurt when I touch them at the moment so not actually sure whats going on there I daren't open tins etc for fear of pulling at them 

Eyelashes are also thinning but my head hair isn't growing like the Onc said it would on T, maybe I'm a bit early for that - I was warned about the Uncle Fester look by one of the ladies from the Oct thread I think its still a bit weird looking in the mirror though.

Paloma

Yes, I only have a few hairs left of eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned x
Dealdoh

Shocked, about 60% of my eyebrows and 50% of my eyelashes went quite soon after the first T.  Luckily my eyebrows were thick to start with so i’ve still got enough to frame the face.  I have an interest colour scheme going as my face is always very very slightly tan and where the head is bald looks white - makes it look like I have a super super short white shave.  My nails are buggered unfortunately. 

Shocked

Anyone else’s eyebrows gone - mine were never the thickest just didn’t quite expect them to go completely this quickly after first T. My new best friend is my eyebrow pencil 😜
RosieH

Woo hoo Dealdoh you’re hot on my heels!!!! The sun is shining and the end is in sight....

Michelle I’d just say the same as all the girls...in a few days you will start to surface and hopefully one week 2 and 3 you just carry on normalish life...the good part is you learn to absolutely love what it’s like to feel well.

Starfire...any news on your decision yet? Xxx

Michelle21

Thank you all so much for your kind words, optimism and strength. X
Shocked

Well done Michelle on your first - you are on the road 1 ticked off the list xxx

Dealdoh - yayyyyy 1 more to go and you're done thats got to feel as if the end is in sight. Positive thinking - Second T is going to be a better experience for us all xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Whooo hooo dealdoh πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»You’ve got to the bardo tune - one step further on the jukebox πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘well done πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Dealdoh

Morning all.  Second T down yesterday.  Feeling ok so far, although start the dreaded injections later.  One more cycle to go πŸŽ‰ 🎊 πŸŽ‰ on 27th April then hopefully that’s me done with chemo Yayyyyyyy

Well done  Michelle, you’re now on the road and it gets shorter with each step you take x

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Michelle, well done πŸ‘πŸ‘that’s first one ticked off, your pee will be pink till the red one if you had fec flushes through your system if you don’t already know. Think of them in 3 week cycles and it will go quicker, rather than thinking of them as 18 weeks. Rest up and always ring the rapid response for anything, that’s what they are there for, to keep you safe 😘😘have you April starters decided on mode of transport for chemo, we had a πŸš‚, Nov had a 🎒, jan have swimming and raft 😁😁it’ll help you all, it’s like the grand national a bit, you focus on getting over beachers (that’ll be no 3), then as you pass that you’ll be on countdown to πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Aliand

Michelle honey it made me feel crap, nauseous and fragile. But it does t last. Batten down for a couple of duvet/Netflix days and then you will start to pick UK again. I survived 4. You can do this you are Wonder Woman πŸ’ͺ🏻 Sending the πŸ§œπŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ§œπŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ§œπŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Down to get you and haul you into our raft xxx
marie78

Hi, September sounds good. I’m probably quite far west but don’t mind travelling, would probably use it as an excuse to make a holiday out of it!

Michelle, if you do feel ill just keep telling yourself it won’t be for long, and it will soon be over, I initially felt like it would last forever but have my last T session on the 25th.

I have my first meeting with the radiotherapy oncologist on Wed which is a sign of the next stage! 😳. I had my mx before chemo. Aliand I was allowed to remove the stockings as soon as I left the hospital.
I’ve had several people ask me when I will get the β€˜all clear’ but I haven’t got a clue! I’ve not had a scan and have assumed they took all the cancer with the mx and full lymph node clearance as I had one cancerous one. I’ve kinda assumed its already gone!
Paloma glad you are home x
Jamesy46

Michelle take your temp before taking paracetamol , on the day off mm first fec I was shattered as I think we work our self up to it so much I was the same yesterday with my first T , if you can take your paracetamol and have an early night , I’ve just checked in my diary ( good idea by the way ) and I woke at 3 and took another anti sickness and again at 6 am , make sure you drink loads tomorrow 2-3 litres if you can and to be honest I ate my way through it , like being pregnant plenty of ginger biscuits and I loved carbs , they got me through the sicky feelings xx fingers crossed you will find your way through it , defo keep a diary to look back on each cycle x take care , you can do this x
❀️🐠🐠🐠🐠
Michelle21

Had 1st chemo today, fec. Feeling queasy got headache, taken all meds, tang helpline suggested paracetamol. Not looking forward to 18weeks if this any advice?
RosieH

Fingers crossed for your BT and Monday as planned CT xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi aliand, whytefawn on Oct thread with me started her rads about 4 weeks after her surgery I think it was, jump on πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸš‚Oct and check with her 😘😘anyone who’s done op, chemo, then rads my 😎😎πŸ₯“πŸ₯“started 4 weeks after last chemo, but some started before 4 weeks. Aliand😘😘keep paddling and get a spare pair of sexy socks, boots did a nice black pair, it’s for when you wash the pair the hospital put on you, and good advise about keeping them on, it’s safer to post surgery πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Crazytimes2017

Hi ladies! So great to hear so many of i
us have the finishing line in sight now. 24 days till my last one..hopefully anyway. I've also booked in to get my hickman line removed straight after my last chemo session. Although it's helpful, I hate it being there so can't wait to get it taken out!! Was reassured how easily they cannulated me when I was in over Easter, so even if I do need any more IV stuff they can just do it the old fashioned way!!

Had my bloods done Tuesday and I was neutropenic. Had them done again today in advance of Monday - really hoping I don't get delayed. We will see what happens.
Paloma

Thanks Shocked, your experience sounds awful, it is very scary when you are told to avoid bugs and then are put in that situation. I'm sorry you have had such a sore mouth and throat, sounds really horrible, so glad its healing now for you x

Shocked

Paloma glad you are home - its really scary that they tell us we are so prone to infection and that the white blood cell count is dangerously low then shove you anywhere they can find a bed - seriously they put me on a ward with 5 elderly patients all coughing and wheezing like mad and when I arrived it was visiting tome so there were lots of people around. I feel guilty I was such a diva but at the same time surely they should understand why we might be a tad reluctant to expose ourselves to that, I think I'd have been running out even if I was only dressed in a gown as soon as I saw the words LONG STAY bless you.
Paloma

Hi Ladies

Just catching up with all the posts as I have just come out of hospital too. Glad everyone seems to be improving now but sounds like a tough time for everyone. I had my first T on 29th and became very achy on the 3rd day and 4th day couldn't get out of bed all day, but by tea time I tried getting up and my husband helped me downstairs. Started to eat at the table but then came over all funny and nearly blacked out. Took temperature and it was 38.4 and triage said I had to come in. Blood count went down to 0.7 and was put on iv antibiotics. Woke me up in the night to say they had grown a very unusal bug in my blood and needed to see which specific antibiotic would treat it. Day 3 they said they needed to move me to oncology ward to keep a close eye on me and the porters came and got my bed and said we are heading for the long stay ward. They left me in a ward with 4 beds, 2 of which the patients were coughing badly. I got very upset and wandered off to find a nurse, turned out I was only on the long stay because thats where a bed was available and my blood count had actually come back up, so a little communication would have reassured me instead of panicked me, but I know how busy they are. 

Shocked

Rosie - we are all cheering you on through your last session, its the start of the end of this bumpy treatment for all of us so its great to see one of us complete chemo, and we will all be here right through to the end with you Aliand. My last should be the 8th May but as you say things can get delayed easily enough just hoping it isn't. We totally need to wait for you to catch up before we meet!!

I was only told to wear the stockings for 2 weeks oh dear I really should have known better- :S  The shorts and surgical stocking look could be the next craze. 

Aww Jamesy try to stay positive we all have everything crossed for you that T goes easy on you lovely . As Aliand said don't wait with the mouthcare my mouth deteriorated so quickly I literally woke up on day 4 (typically good friday so the unit was closed) with a tongue completely covered in ulcers and blisters on the insides of my cheeks so if you start now you might avoid any soreness. I have to say though I am really prone to mouth ulcers and throat infections (probably because attractively I breath though my mouth when sleeping) so my chemo nurse yesterday said that its the chemo taking advantage of my weaknesses. T apart from that has not been too bad sore finger tips but the aches and pains not as bad as I anticipated, 

Jamesy46

I will aliand , I’m gonna hey the difflam spray on it after tea when I brush my teeth again , my treatment chemo wise finishes may 17 th fingers crossed and I think rads are about a month later xx just great to se the finishing line in front now , thinking of how I felt in February at the beginning , great to see we have done finishers in our group now ! Go Rosie !!
I’m swimming fast strokes at the minute 🐠🐠🐠
Aliand

Rosie, we will all be doing a little happy dance for you as you finish, it's great that the finishers are starting, I think I'll be the last 30th May is the planned date of my 8th but it could change so easily and I suppose it's likely to get put back a week at some point. 

I've realsied that I'll be wearing pressure stocking for the whole of the summer - oh great, why is it the little things are the things that annoy the most ?? Pressure stockings for those that dont know are long white thick tight socks that prevent blood clots, it's really really important that we wear them for 6 weeks after surgery. Don't skip them those who have surgery coming up, np point going through this hell only to end up with other problems ! So now hoping we dont have a heat wave or I will swealter ! Long baggy cotton pants for me it is then - another excuse to go shopping !!

Michelle honey, gosh that is horrid to have in the back of your mind but look how well we have managed and its not been without its problems there have been allergic reactions amongst us, but the efficient and dedicated hospital staff get us all through. Like Rosie said things have changed so much in 20 years

No idea if September will suit. My surgery is planned 19th July - well penciled in anyway, I will have rads in autumn but dont know when, how long after surgery do they do the rads ? Shi ? I'm not worried if I'm the only one not finished when we meet, it's probably impractical to wait for me to catch up.

Just taken dd out for lunch as the boys are off camping, still cant taste anything its so frustration.

Jamesey, start that mouth care now. My tip from a friend whose done this before was to keep mouth care going all the way through T even if just once a day. I followed that the day I started T and though its been sore and tingly so far I've not had any ulcers. I'm also eating pineapple. My se started day 3 but really have been quite mild in comparrison to everyone else on here it seems, I hope you take after me ! The sore nails started day 3 too but they are not too bad. I started taking brufen day 3 but not taken any for last 2 days, I'm achy but not too bad.

keeeeeeeep swimming x

RosieH

Just realised Ive missed pages of forum somehow!!!

Shocked glad youre home lovely and I hope you got the McFlurry.

I live outside Peterborough and right near A1 and train station so happy to get anywhere really.

We could do like really early September as soon as kids go back...I did think August but so many ladies with little ones to think of.

Im open to anything really...

Heres a weird one, just been for my pre chemo apt for the last session!! Doc said right youll see radiology next probably after your surgery...I asked when I saw Oncology again and he said we will give you your Tamoxifen to start after surgery so we will see you in about 6 months!!! I wanted to say but whos going to make sure my cancer doesnt just come back!!

Then I realised this is it this is how it works!!!

Am ready for the last session now...sorry girls I know Im the first finished but I will still be here. Would miss everyone too much and life on the raft xxx

Dealdoh

Hi Michelle, we have all worried about having the chemo and if you have β€œHistory”, on top of that, of course you will be more worried, but chemo treatment has changed soooo much since your aunt was treated and I believe it has improved hugely.  

Glad things are on the up for you Shocked.  September might not work for me as we are hoping to go to Canada to see my son around that time, but no definite arrangements made yet.  I live in Kent by the way.

Jamesy46

September sounds good to me too , I’m central x
Day 2 of T feeling fine no sick or anything as yet , when can I start to expect all the crappy se ? I’ve got what feels like a small swelling on roof of mouth but no major , I’ve got paracetamol co codamol ibuprofen and Claritin ready also difflam spray and mouthwash and I start my 6 injections tonight but they didn’t really affect me too much on fec just achy legs x I’m dreading this x
Shocked

September sound good to me hopefully we will all past the finish line - where is central to us all then? my geography isnt the best who's furthest North, South, East and West?? 

RosieH

CT abd Shocked sending you lots of healthy hugs...

Went to me LGFB yesterday and it was brilliant.

So nice to be in a room full of people that understood.

One lady in her sixties burst into tear about her lack of eyebrows and lashes. She started off so bright and funny then all this emotion burst out of her. Was very moving.

I didnt get a chance to offer her a ride on our raft!!

It the spirit of meeting up when life is calming shall I propose September as first date...thinking we should all be finished by then?

Any other suggestions greatfully received

Lots of love xx

Michelle21

Shocked

Aliand - the mouth is a lot better it started healing pretty quickly one they started th IV antibiotics and a nurse from the chemo unit came down with some gelclair yesterday morning to use 4 times a day - A&E kept trying to give me chloroseptic but it was so painful I was in tears it was like pouring acid in my mouth.Still sticking to soup and ice cream at the moment.

My Onc is on holiday until next week so don't know what the plan will be for my next T the nurse mentioned maybe a reduced dose but said to just talk it through. She also said that the first T is normally the worst so if that is the case hopefully your remaining 3 will be gentle on you if you've not found this one too bad.

Michelle21

Thanks, all of you. Im so scared. Not of having the treatment but of becoming ill afterwards. 30 years ago my Auntie died whilst having chemo for leukaemia and that thought keeps coming into my head. I know I have to get on and do this but I don’t know how
Aliand

What a lovely picture starfire. A weekend away - excellent idea. So good for the mind and spirit.

Shocked home is the place to be even if you are feeling a little bit pants (or a lot) how’s the mouth ? Are you able to eat any better ?

I can’t believe how lightly I seem to have got away with this first T. I think I’ve found it easier than EC. Who knows if it stays that way or if the culmative effects will get me in the end.

Shi we love your craziness πŸ˜‚β˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜œ never change x

Good luck today Muchelle. I was the first to start treatment here being 3rd Jan but this lot soon joined me you’ll have your own crazy pack soon but we are here for you too. I read a book called Tea and chemo it’s an easy read shares a ladies journey through breast cancer treatment. There no scary stories in it the author Jackie Buxton is alive and well so no sad endings and the profits go to Breast cancer research. I found it really helpful at the beginning of my journey x

Now what to do today ?!
Shocked

Shi - a little crazy is good for us we love it xxxx

Thought I'd share something I found amusing whilst in A&E - the idiot in the bed next to me was throwing things at nurses and verbally abusing them (its so unfair that the staff are subjected to that plus there was a little one in as well and it was taking them away from treating those of us that needed it) anyway they got security who managed to talk him down - what was so funny was that the nurse who he had abused then had to give the guy an enema (KARMA) - oh how he screamed, I hope she wasn't gentle with the no mark!!!!

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning shocked, catch up on your sleep today lovely, so glad you are home😘😘in my defence we all were the πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»Bunch on the Oct πŸš‚ a tune a day helped us party on through πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚dealdoh, I’m up the front of the raft playing rose and jack dolphin watching my the lush mr dicaprio thanks, Thor and mr mimosas sausages are all your ladies, although with aliand having sausage and mash last night there might not be much to get a grip on today πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£keep swimming ladies πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘michelle, please let us know when 1st one ticked off and ❀️❀️❀️to your children for being so brave. Starfire what a beautiful photo so glad you had a holiday you all need it β€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Shocked

Shi - not sure that will help my appetite πŸ˜„ can I please just look at his chest which in my opinion is a much nicer part to look at, guess your a just a sausage lady πŸ˜„

Starfire - that looks a fab place where is it? Glad to see you have managed to get some away time lovely xxx

Feeling really rough today so think I'll just stay in bed - the antibiotics will give bone and joint pain, with the extra jabs and T I think I'm in for a fun few days but I don't care I'm home.

Michelle -you must be thinking we are barking mad - blame Shi πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ Just to say I haven't had a PICC or a Port (I wasn't offered it so you may have to ask if you want either) I just have a cannula each time I go, its been OK but I imagine its easier with the PICC or Port as it can be fun finding a vein and I had pretty good veins.
Michelle21

Thank you Dealdoh xx
Dealdoh

Morning Starfire, it looks lovely, where was it?   Hope you had a peaceful and restful stay. X

Starfire9

we had to get away for a long weekend... one perk of not sleeping when you are staying opposite the sea xxx

hope you have a good day ladies xxx I think I can see some of you swimming out there,DF2CBFBA-4341-457A-801F-1C4D6019D21A.jpeg