cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2017

feelthefear

Re: July 2017

Hi mishy.
I haven't had any gum problems but the chemo ward sent me home with ultra strong corsodyl. I've also been using the toothpaste which I got from boots. Carole's right though, I'd ring the ward just to check. X
Carole M

Misshy I think you should talk to your hospital about the bleeding.
Mishy18

I had some tea last night it tasted vile! Really thirsty but water tastes rank so il have weak juice, going to make some mango pineapple papaya and ginger smoothy for a light lunch as feeling really nauseated this morning before taking sickness meds!, yeah feel like I've been on an all nighter back in the days! Hangover from hell haha.. Just out of interest last night from. Nowhere my gums started pouring of blood quite a bit for about 5 mins quite scary right send my mouth with some corsadyl I had in cupboard and it settled anyone else had this?
Missaconitum

I found myself constantly thirsty for about 48 hours after so have been necking weak squash like there's no tomorrow. Completely gone off tea though! 😭
Having a picc line put in tomorrow. My veins are 'very fine' as the nurse so politely put it (I just go with s***!) so she recommended a line to make the whole process less stressful. I'm a bit dubious but then by this point I'll take anything thatll make life easier.
feelthefear

Good to hear it went well mishy. Hopefully around theee days of stuffing your face and watching telly should pull you around. Aim to drink at least 2 litres of water per day. You'll be up on the loo all night but it'll be worth it. Xx
Mishy18

Hi girls just checking in so I did the cold cap was not half as bad as I expected as you all said just first 15mins as for chemo so far so good, feel a little off the planet strange taste in my mouth and a weird sensation in my head nothing I can't cope with, going to have some toast and cuppa then I will see how I feel tomorrow

Round one down eh! Pleased you are all well xxx
AliOG

That's great news! You definitely recovered quicker than me. I was well into week 2 before I started coming out of it properly. Hopefully round 2 will be the same for you and you can get on with enjoying things! X

feelthefear

Hi Ali.
I'm on day 7 now and have felt back to my usual self since Friday afternoon. I feel really lucky so far. My best friend says I have the hangovers of my youth to thank for me being able to handle to chemical jadedness. 😳 As soon as it happened I recognised it for what it was so it didn't freak me out and I knew that eating plenty of carbs and protein would see it off quickly. And to be honest a large glass of red wine with food on Friday night took me to a lovely place.
I've also enjoyed just a couple of rum and ginger ales in the sunshine over the weekend(for medicinal purposes of course). So all in all, normal service has resumed. 😀
I
Carole M

For anyone who wants to join our Facebook group it is Breast cancer care July 2017 chemo starters. Be pleased to see you there.
If you're not on Facebook ask a grandkid to sort out an account for you. You don't have to do any other Facebook stuff and the group is private.
AliOG

Hi Feelthefear,

My post steroid crash started on the day after I stopped taking them. It got worse the following day and then again the day after. Part way through that third day it just lifted and I improved slowly throughout week 2. My major side effect also felt like chemical hangover. That's a good way to describe it. I felt spaced out, zombified, dizzy, slow, depressed. I'm usually pretty active, busy, juggling a zillion things, racing around, making decisions at work, managing people etc. but for that first week I felt like a useless baggage. If round 2 is the same, at least I'll be ready for it and so will my poor husband who I think had the fear of god put into him. 

How are are you doing now? What day are you on? X

Carole M

Good luck Misshy and do try cold cap.

My back ache is a lot better today and paracetamol worked quite well with it if anyone else gets it.
Missaconitum

Ditto Mishy. Hope it all goes well for you!
feelthefear

I'll be thinking of you today mishy. I'm sure you'll do great. Xxx
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Carole, popping in from May thread. Haven't had the injection side effects myself, but some of the ladies on May thread have mentioned it, and found relief using Clarityn, which is a hay fever product! 

My DN gives me my injection just before lunch, so I can then 'walk it off' in the afternoon. So far so good! 🍀

feelthefear

Haha. Yes, and when you've had enough of cleaning fec-it.
You're going to be fine tomorrow. And you'll deal with the two to three days of being jaded. Just eat plenty of carbs and whatever else you fancy and be prepared to lie in bed with Netflix for a couple of hours every now and again when you can't be bothered with anyone. I wouldn't of believed I'd feel this normal already. We can definitely handle this.
Angela x
Carole M

I didn't find the cold cap that cold abs was surprised it was icy inside. Sat in my tee shirt throughout. I had no bad effects from chemo drugs on the day. Had a few side effects since but you just have to deal with what you get without delay.
Mishy18

I will definitely try! Just got the pre chemo collywobbles Google is a bad thing to have in the middle of the night haha honestly you have been so positive it has made me feel much better about tomorrow it's kind of good to hear it from the horses mouth!

I'm going to give my house a de bug tonight got all of my antibac stuff at the ready haha! Can't fec - n wait to get round one over with so I can say to everyone you know what it is not to bad 🙂

feelthefear

Hi mishy.
I wouldn't let anyone put you off the cold cap. Try it yourself. I can honestly say it isn't bad at all. Have a go and if it's not for you they'll take it straight off. I think it's one of those mind over matter things.

Good you're getting some relief from painkillers Carole. Hoping you manage to enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Hi missaconitum. I found scrambled eggs on toast fought off any sickly feelings I had in the 48 hours after chemo. You'll probably feel better once the steroids have finished. Once you're done with them drink plenty of water to flush them out as quick as you can. I've enjoyed a couple of ginger ales (with rum) over the weekend. Helped enormously. 😀
Homemade mayo would have raw eggs but not the big branded stuff.
Angela. X

Missaconitum

Morning all, had my first Tax and Cyclo session on Friday. Thought I'd escaped with minimal se's but was awake at 5am feeling queasy 😩 I think I'll get some ginger ale as I finish the steroids/anti-sickness meds tomorrow. Did manage to do my garden yesterday though! I understand having properly cooked eggs but the booklet I got from the Christie say mayonnaise is fine??
Carole M

Paracetamol is helping.
Mishy18

I'm hoping I get on like you feel the fear with mine tomorrow you have been doing great

Sorry to hear about the back ache Carole hopefully it wont last too long

I'm going to enjoy the sun today spend it in the garden i this kind and try not to obsess about the cold cap! I keep swaying from yesterday I'm having it to what's the point, I was fine till the nurse who did my pre assessment put me off it!
Any way ladies have a good day x
feelthefear

Morning Carole. Fortunately I can't help you with that (yet) as I've only had three with no se's so far. Maybe the ladies on Facebook can advise.
I'm feeling great today but realise side effects could increase as we receive more chemo. I basically had a couple of days feeling like my head was slightly done in, and one day of constipation and that's it. I have everything crossed that I continue like this throughout the treatment but trying to keep my optimism in check. I hope everyone else is also as lucky.
Hope your back pain eases soon now that you've finished the injections. Are pain killers helping? X
Carole M

OMG the promised back ache from the injections has kicked in this morning and is really painful. I'm day 10 and had the last of 5 injections yesterday. Anyone else had this and how bad/how long?
Carole M

Good plan. Only factor 50 first! I'm like a milk bottle 😉
feelthefear

That's good to hear Carole. We sound as if our se's are pretty similar. I think I'll just stop worrying about it and enjoy the sunshine. X
Carole M

I didn't get much crash, just not so wired. If it weren't for constipation and then diarrhoea I'd be managing well!
feelthefear

Hello ladies. Hope everyone is doing well. Im now on day five i believe (chemo Tuesday). I feel reasonably well. In fact, quite good apart from slightly foggy but I'm learning to just go with that feeling. Have managed to get out and about this morning to do shopping and I'm now packing ready to move house next weekend. However, I'm stressing about the chemo crash so many people talk about. I know everyone responds differently, but in general when would this happen? I'm frightened to plan anything in case I'm going to bed ridden soon. 😳
feelthefear

I have to agree. I'd much rather laugh than cry. You'll be okay mishy. It sounds as if you've got the right attitude to help carry you through this. Xx
Mishy18

Haha yeah like that Fec me you really are in good spirits hahaha! Well done for being so positive xx

I def think a good sense of humour is what we all need!
feelthefear

Hahaha. Yes mishy fec-sake. I tell everyone I'm having fec-me. I feel like I'm leaving the haze now. Saying that, the double rum I've added to my ginger ale might be helping. 😀
Mishy18

Ooh think I'm going to get some ginger ale too, I want to take as least drugs as possible x I hate the idea of being bunged up! Celery is a great Idea for the munchies! I will put that on my list x
Mishy18

I'm doing same treatment regime as you feel the fear you seem to be doing OK which is great to hear I remember being constipated following an op years ago from meds and it was ugh!! So have stocked up on some prune juice and some liquorice which I hate, some fruit and ginger for smoothies going to try to eat light throughout put half a stone on since this started.. Not happy about it haha so yeah going to enjoy weekend and will check in on you girls on Monday to let you know my verdict haha for Fec sake 🙂
feelthefear

Thanks Carole Thought so. What a shame. X
Carole M

Egg yolk has to be cooked solid
feelthefear

Random question; are we allowed to have a fried egg? I have such an urge for one. 😳
Not sure we're allowed the soft yolk?
feelthefear

Hi Ali.
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping they're out of my system by now. It's been about 36 hours since the last one. I feel completely spacey at the minute, like a chemical hangover. Trying to just go with it. Really pleased I've been able to manage without any meds since yesterday morning, I feel an urge to be clear of them. I've just been weighed and have gone from 9st 6 on Tuesday morning to 9st 10 today. 😳😳😳
I feel like I'm starving. Got to get this under control. Have sent my mam to buy celery to snack on.
How long after your last steroid did you crash? I'm worried I've still got that to come. X
AliOG

Hi Feelthefear, the steroids they give you are for anti sickness. They will have given you steroids during the first chemo treatment itself (mine was a tablet) and then they send you home with some to take afterwards. Steroids do loads of other things too which is why they can have all sorts of different effects on people - keep people awake, a bit wired, really hungry, followed by a potential dip when you stop taking them. They are also anti inflammatory which is why I thought my back ache was miraculously cured and then came back with a vengeance! 

I hate taking one drug to counteract another to counteract another but I guess the docs know best. Just going to prepare myself for post steroid blues during round two. X

feelthefear

Morning mishy. Hope you're going to make the most of this weekend before treatment. 24 hours without sickness meds now. Busy sipping ginger ale. I nibbled on nuts, seeds and ginger biscuits while having chemo, and every time I think of them now I feel slightly sick. Next time, I won't eat anything I'll be bothered about eating again.
At least I'm not constipated anymore. I'm now suffering from what feels likes piles though. 😳
I always thought of myself as quite a private person when it comes to bodily functions, and now here I am discussing bowel movements on the internet. 😀
I know what you mean about getting back to normal. I can't wait to put all of this behind me and my family.
I'm having another two fec, then three t. Then three weeks of radiotherapy. Not sure what the steroids were for. I think they sent me home with three. I'm not 100% to be honest, but know I had my last one on Wednesday. Chemo was Tuesday.
Hubby gave me my first injection last night. No side effects from that yet. 🤞
You'll be fine mishy. I feel like I'm coming out of the haze a bit now. I'm going to wash my hair today. First time since cold cap. Xxx
Anniej
Community Champion

Pontefract cakes do it for me! Those and dried apricots . X

Mishy18

Hi pleased to see you haven't had the sickness, there is nothing worse than constipation so I can see why you are reluctant not to take the sickness meds I'm scrubbing my house this weekend tying up some loose ends before I start my treatment Mon, I have been told what to expect with the Fec T
Had hair cut to chin in a grad Bob style my hair dresser said when I start shedding she will give me a pixie for free! She thought 5 inches was enough better to do it like that as having cold cap!

Girls what type of chemo you all having? Noticed you talking about steroids but was told I didn't need them yet? But doing the 7day jabs at home thing, just wondering.

Saw my lovely work mates today it was great to see them all, made me realise I can't wait to get back to normal xxx hope you are all feeling well so far with yours you are dead brave I hope I'm as brave as all of you when I have mine hahaha!
feelthefear

They're definitely worth trying. They usually work for me. Even better if you can get your hands on some
Pontefract cakes. X
Carole M

Perhaps I'll get some Bassetts. Do they make you go?
If you're struggling you should contact your hospital or go to GP before it's too bad.
feelthefear

Dear me Carole. The side effects are scary. I'm going to take my chances and only take them if I feel sick. I've been sailing on a yacht on rough seas and was the only person who wasn't sick apart from the skipper. I believe it's the same trigger point for chemo related sickness ( along with the morning and travel sickness). I hope I'm alright stuffing my face with liquorice. They're only Bassetts. Couldn't get my hands on any decent ones. X
Carole M

I've been given metoclopramide too but not taken any. Have you looked at the side effects??? 😬😬😬
Carole M

Don't let it get too bad. I ended up having to give myself a full on enema which made me feel quite ill.
I asked my oncologist if it was alright to take my licorice tablets as I've been taking them for gastritis and he said he'd have to check that out.
feelthefear

The ward sent me home with two emend. Just took last one. There was also another type. Just took last one of those and threw box away. And I've also got five days worth of metoclopramide. 😳
Seems like a lot. I think I'll see how I go and maybe not bother with those if I can help it. I hate nausea, but constipation makes you feel absolutely dreadful. Maybe I'll take some senokot. I've ate more liquorice than I care to think of, green bananas, plums. Nothing is working. A roast is on the cards for tea. Plenty of mushy peas for me then. X
Carole M

Feelthefear I had 3 days worth of Ondansetron. No sickness but I've had the worst constipation of my life. Day 7 today and just getting over it. Will have to do something different next cycle as I can't go through that again.
feelthefear

Also, I'm wondering if everyone is continuing with the anti sickness meds? I know I'm only on day three
but haven't suffered any nausea. I took two of the three tablets I'd been given yesterday. I'm now constipated. My chemo nurse says it's the sickness meds that do this. I'm wondering whether it's worth risking seeing how I go without them. Is everyone else planning on taking the whole course? I've been given a week's worth. X
feelthefear

That's perfect Carole.
Hubby gets home from work about six so he can do it. X
Carole M

Feelthefear I do the injections at about 6 in the evening. Think they said that's best because of back ache and soon to go to bed.?
Actually my daughter does them for me as she's a nurse. 😀