cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2018 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: July 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi Lal,

Can I check something with you, please?   You mention that you're having 8 cycles and that the dose is slightly lower.   Have they actually told you that?   I thought that was the case, the same dose of drugs but spread over 8 rather than 6, but then the nurses told me that it's not a lower dose just two extra cycles at full strength, just to be safe.  I asked the oncologist consultant and he confirmed it.   

Also, my hair sounds like yours.  It's stopped falling out, I haven't shaved it as I thought it would all disappear and now my head looks like an 80 year man's.   I think I might have to take the clippers to it but I was scared of getting any cuts.   Living in a world of fear!! 

Other than looking like an antique testicle, I can't complain so far.  

Willie xx

Highlighted

Thanks S
August chemo thread is now showing - c u there x
Highlighted

Hello Jude -

Hope you feel better soon

S xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies, I've set up an August Chemo thread Xx 

Highlighted

Hi S

Felt fine whilst having it, only took an hour in total

Then felt a bit fuzzy & sinusy. Travelled home, felt knackered went to bed to rest for a couple of hours & now feel nauseous, hot & sweaty
Took anti sickness tablet & put on sea bands!
Hopefully they will start to kick in soon!

I’ll update further tomorrow - good luck for Thursday

Jude x
Highlighted

SB1610, I've pm'd you back! 😊

Highlighted

Thanks for your tips Meesh73

Did you use a particular brand of shampoo or just your usual brand?

Many thanks, S xx
Highlighted

Hello Jude

I'm having my first EC on Thursday - would be interested to hear how it went for you today and how you are feeling.

I'm planning on joining the August forum too once it's set up - not sure how that happens??

Best wishes, S
Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I’ve had my first chemo today EC - but like a couple of you I think I’ll be joining the August starters, but can’t see a forum for August as yet?

However any tips would be appreciated

Jude x
Highlighted

I should have also said there was only 2 of us on the October thread that successfully cold capped and both of us were fecx6, hope this gives you some comfort 😊
Highlighted

Hi there SB1610, sorry to see you here in the forum. It's the place none of us want to end up but it is great for support, advice and a few laughs. I'm from the October 2017 thread and posting on here because I had fecx6 and I cold capped fairly successfully. They reckon fec is hardest on the hair. I can give you some tips as follows:

1) Have your haircut shorter. I have curly hair and had mine cut into a fairly short inverted bob. You may lose quite a bit of hair (I lost most of the top of mine and the sides and back thinned considerably too but weren't noticeable to anyone else). The shorter hair will be less distressing when it comes out and may help prevent matting too.
2) be gentle with your hair. Only wash it 1-2 times a week. I washed mine once a week and also only combed it once a week but then you can get away with that when you have curly hair.
3) wash your hair in tepid water. I also used a jug to wash mine in the shower rather than the force of the shower head.
4) take 2 paracetamol 30 mins prior to cold capping as this can help. I found it was only uncomfortable for the first 5-10 mins.
5) I experienced quite a big shed of hair 20 days after my first cold cap when I washed my hair. If this happens stick with the cold cap. Lots of people see this and think it hasn't worked. The loss will probably slow down just stick with it.
6) make sure you get a good fit with the cap. Mine didn't fit well on the top of my head and that's where I lost most of my hair.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions then you can pm me and I'll pick them up. Cold capping isn't for the faint hearted but it can help you keep a lot of hair and also it seems to grow back quicker. I finished my chemo in January and by April was told no one would know I had had chemo.

Good luck July ladies, look after one another!
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sb❤️❤️Sorry you find yourself on the threads, the Bccf are loving and supportive, don’t forget the bccf helpline too, they can put you in touch with a someone like you to speak too. Your preparation is going well and you are keeping positive and 💪💪💪and we are here to 👭👭on the journey too. And tell yourself you will be the 1 in 5 that it works for my darling. Do as your team tells you and take meds, if antisickness don’t work ring the rapid response number, if you have temperature phone rapid response number if wee burns and no temperature phone rapid response, if you get thrush mouth phone your unit get there and ask for fluconzole. The main thing is to keep 😁😁😁and keep safe my darling which you will and support on here and ❤️❤️❤️Will help you as much as we can. Keep drinking lots of water 6-8 glasses a day to help flush things through your system too 💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and due to start my first chemo on 2nd Aug. I'm feeling really anxious about it all but I think and hope that this forum will be useful for me and help keep me calm.

I've done some planning already - headscarves and wig at the ready and I've got a shopping list to get the fridge and freezer filled. I'm going later today to have my hair cut a bit shorter - I'm opting to follow the style of my wig. I'm going to give the cold cap a try though from reading various scientific research studies that have been done I'm not holding out much hope given the regime I'll be on - EC for 6 cycles - as this seems to beloing to a family of drugs that don't respond as well as some others. However postings on here seem positive but not sure if that's because people tend to post if positive rather than if it doesn't work. My oncologist told me there was only a 1 in 5 chance it would be successful. Has anyone else on this regime tried the cap - and if so did it work?

Any tips / suggestions on what else I can do to prepare or questions to ask. I'm having blood tests tomorrow and then an appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday to sign consent forms etc. I must admit that upto now I've avoided forums etc as in the early days following my diagnosis I only seemed to find tales of doom and gloom and these just freaked me out - however I'm really pleased to find that these threads seem much more positive and supportive.

Many thanks in anticipation, S

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Beckett

Sadly itchy scalp is a sign that your hair is going to shed. For me, that started about day 20, just before second cycle. 

I didn't suffer from mouth ulcers, but had like a furry tongue, and it was the same time each cycle, about day 10, and only lasted a couple of days . I'm sure other ladies will come along soon and give you some tips. But I just wanted to reassure that that it soon passes.

Sue xx

Highlighted

Mouth ulcers and itchy scalp this morning. 🤔
Highlighted

Thanks for the welcomes, it’s **bleep**ty to go through this, but great to have found all of you. My first chemoday was fine, cold cap not as bad as I feared. Day 2 after my first chemo was fine, day 3 in the morning not great, much better after two hour sleep in afternoon. Continued my anti- nausea medication. I am a dietician and reviewed the science of the fasting around chemo carefully, decided to give it a try. Semi fasted 48 hrs before chemo and 24 hrs afterwards (only veggies and plenty of water). Replenished on nutrition over the weekend: had shrimps, steak, salmon, homemade chickensoup, eggs, chicked and mussels over the course of Fri-Sunday. Needed much more sleep than before this all started. Kids are all away, so could take the time for myself. Will have a bowl of yoghurt before going to sleep and a big breakfast if I am up for it and than back to the 72 hours semi-fasting. Afternoon naps have turned into 2 hours deep sleep, do you guys recognize that? Will have a bowl of yoghurt before going to sleep and a big breakfast if I am up for it and than back to the 72 hours semi-fasting. And then two weeks of rest. Halleluja. Wish all of you good luck the week to come 🍀🍀🍀
Highlighted

Hi Becky,

thanks for the reply and good wishes.

Good luck with your journey.

jo

Highlighted

Hi Karen

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes surgery went well. It was a strange few weeks recovering from the op knowing that I would be putting my body through chemo. Almost undoing all the goood work!

Hope you enjoy Norway

Sunflower Jo x

Highlighted

Morning all!
Windy and very rainy here in Manchester but a welcome relief. Day 9 of cycle 1...nearly in double figures! Still good and grateful for it! I tried the cold cap so will soon see if it helped the hair loss. Dr said about day 14/15 things might start to itch! Had breakfast in bed made by my second eldest 😍. He is doing a good job of looking after me.
Hope holiday goes well Karen and no complications. By Wednesday (Day 6 - feel like I'm living through an episode of Big Brother) felt like I could get on with living and not waiting for the axe to fall!
Sunflower, everyone reacts differently. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Right, family coming round for a cooked breakfast so I need to move my backside!
Happy Sunday everyone.
Becky xx
Highlighted

Hi All,

Welcome Sunflower 🌻 to the gang , I remember the name from another thread when we were diagnosed, hope your surgery went well and you are ok and recovering well.

It was decided I would have chemo first so on cycle two and it’s not that bad when you start it’s the anticipation of it that’s worse than the actual treatment. Don’t get me wrong it’s up and down days but some have little side effects and even when we do the days pass and we get there 👍🏻

Lal I am on the same situation with the damn patchy hair it’s driving me mad, rocking an almost Bobby Charlton , nothing at the front and growing round the back and got bloody dandruff and little spikes digging in 🤨. Using coconut oil at night and Weleda hair tonic in the morning which has helped, tip from a friend who has psoriasis.

Good luck to Fran and Georgie this week, another step onward and upward , although it feels like backwards and sideways sometimes we will all get there.

Away to Norway tomorrow for a week to the Fjords , Dr isn’t best pleased but I will be sensible, got my antibiotics, antiseptic spray, thermometer, sick pills etc what could possibly go wrong 🤷‍♀️.... Next post , Karen stuck in a hospital in Norway with neutropenia thinking why the hell did I do that ... 🤣🤞

Sending best wishes to you all

Karen
X
Highlighted

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum but I’m due to start chemo on Monday 30th July. I only had the phone call on Friday telling me about Monday, oh well less time to worry about it! Due to have 6 sessions. 

I’ve already had surgery, lumpectomy and full node clearance. In someways I just want to get started but in other ways feeling extremely anxious and worried about what the next few months will bring.

I think I will also look at joining the August forum as I will only be a couple of days outside the start of the month.

i am sure I will talk to you all again soon x

Highlighted

Hi Georgie Gee, good luck for next week, here's hoping it's not too horrific!  See you on the next thread 😁

Keep strong everyone 💪💪💪 this too shall pass!

Fran x

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Georgie gee ❤️❤️💪💪💪to you darling, keep 😁😁😁we are all here to 👭do as your team tell you, if the antisickness meds don’t work, ring the rapid response number, if you feel funny but no temperature phone rapid response the main thing to remember is to keep safe on the chemo journey and you can and will 🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️Kick it’s butt beautiful ❤️❤️❤️💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

Katluan, I start chemo on 2nd August so one day behind you! Scarey isn't it! 

I have a stoma too, except mine is permanent. So we have a bit in common.

Like you, I think I will be joining the August starters. 

Stay well; you never know....... we may not have any S E's..... lol! 

Georgie Gee xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lal😘😘moan away darling ❤️❤️The moth eaten teddy bear look that we’ve all had if not cold capping is just another part of this journey. Glad you’ve taken control with having a buzz cut 💪💪 don’t worry about t, everyone is different, will tell you to paint fingernails black while on t, it’ll help protect from uv light. Please all be vigilant on each infusion of t, if you suddenly go hot and chest tightens, shout the nurses, they’ll stop infusion and put another back of something on to stop the reaction, John st wanted you all to know so you keep safe ❤️❤️ Your onc might suggest Abraxane or back to fec if it happens. Beckett, the bloating after steroids is a fine balance of taking laxatives about 4 days after you start your steroids, it could help if you get botty back up. Keep 😁😁😁ladies you are doing great 💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

Well never thought I would be typing this but I can't wait to be bald- hair is driving me crackers. Shaved to a grade 2 a fortnight ago as was losing it and wanted to avoid clumps on plug hole scenario- now have action man type fuzz with bald patches. Still shedding but cos it's so short it's spiky and uncomfortable when it drops + I leave a trail where ever I go. I'm day 10 after 2nd FEC so thought it would have gone by now. I know I am on a slightly lower dose of E as I am having 8 cycles rather than 6 but still....

Apart from that moan ( and heat/tiredness) not actually feeling too bad. Have my suspicions that T may be harder but will worry about that in September.

Love to all

Lal.
Highlighted

Hi Fran,

We must st have been typing at the same time...

Pleased your chemo workshop was able to reassure you on some of the issues you were worried about and you are all set ready for your first step to getting your treatment 👍🏻.

Karen
X
Highlighted

Thanks Becky, feeling a bit better already. Hope you had a lovely time in Scotland 😉. X
Highlighted

It's been a wee while so I thought I'd drop by again and wave hello to all you July ladies, keep it up girls, it's a means to an end and doesn't last forever, at least that's what I'm telling myself and I haven't even started yet! All systems go day for me is 1st Aug so I guess I'll be lurking on the next thread too....

So, yesterday was the pre chemo talk & tour, thankfully no surprises as I was wary of an 'omg I hadn't thought of that' moment, lots of light reading to take home to while away an hour or three though haha.  The chemo nurse was lovely and was able to reassure me about a couple of the possible se's I was concerned about - thanks to a careless driver I currently have a stoma caused by constipation arising from complications so reading that constipation could occur had me a little bit frazzled not to mention the other end of the scale, believe me having the trots when you poo into a bag is not delightful!!! The nurse reassured me that they were aware and could give me 'stuff' in advance to combat either, phew! Now that concern has been alleviated I can just relax and go with the flow 😂

Ta for the travel insurance info Karen942, no1 daughter wants to take me to Morocco next year for my birthday so it's good to know it won't break the bank 👌 Sorry to hear your 50th wasn't a big affair but 60 is the new 50 doncha know so get planning hehe

I'm glad my daughters are all grown up now (youngest was 21on Tues) and seem to be taking everything in their stride but I have to say that the comments from those of you with younger children make me feel that they are a testament to their mums and you should all be very proud of your youngsters 😊

35 degrees today and my hair has been wet for most of it, I'm "almost" looking forward to having a cooler head; online purchases have been turning up so I have a variety of pretty headgear sitting on the side, I'm fairly sure I'll come to loathe them!

Dutchie I hope your first treatment went ok, did you try the cold cap? How was it?

Ice cream retention? I'm using that at work tomorrow lol. Mind you it's so bloomin' hot out there it's a race to eat it before it's just a creamy puddle in my lap, albeit an enjoyable race haha. 

Working/driving after treatment, coping with fatigue and other se's..... all tips gratefully received cos I'm planning to take as little time off as possible (I only get paid when I work unfortunately).  ....and obviously I'd like things to remain as normal as I can, I know I know, optimistic right?

I talk a lot, seems that doesn't change when I type lol.

Keep cool ladies, I'll check in again after my first round altho it's possible <sarcastic voice> that I may not be so chipper next time 🙃

Fran x

Ps sorry for waffling on a bit

Highlighted

Hi Karen,
Sending hugs and hope you improve for your trip! I've had 2 days in Scotland with my brother and his family. Heading back to Manchester now and hoping for 2 good weeks before next cycle.
Hope everyone else is good today .
Becky x
Highlighted

Hello lovely Ladies,

Welcome to Dutchie and Ru, nice to see Willie back, Ice cream retention made me giggle !

Ru sorry to hear you are back again on this merry go round of treatment ☹️, life is so unfair when you have been through this already.

Vey hard day or two just slept for a full near on 24 hours after steroids stopped and felt the worst yet. Legs in pain again and feeling on another planet , quite faint and sicky with that horrible taste in my mouth as when the chemo first goes in again 😖

Have taken some Clarityn and it’s helping but hoping it will pass quickly... under pressure as booked my bloody cruise for Sunday now 😳. I am going regardless but have decided maybe I was a bit over ambitious if I dont feel better soon. That’ll teach me 🤣...

Now half bald and just want a smooth bald head all over it looks scruffy and I hate it.

Sorry to moan when we are all in this but having a , pee’d off , hot , sicky , anti half baldie kinda day. To be fair I have lost 7kg without trying over the two cycles, eating less and no gin I reckon 👍🏻. Look for the upside I guess.

Best wishes

Karen
X
Highlighted

Hie Beckett thank you I hope so too. How are you I hope the bloatedness has subsided.xx
Highlighted

Hello Warcol thank you. When I was On FECT, the last 3 cycles of the T affected me mouth sores, thrush you name it, but it resolves as soon as you finish. Resting in this heat is tough. I managed a jog this morning when it was cooler. I will take each day as it comes All the best x
Highlighted

Hi Ru
That's awful to hear! Really hope you feel better soon. X
Highlighted

Hey Ru
Sorry to hear your back on chemo like you 2 years out from tnbc And now I’m triple positive with lymph nodes involved ! I’m on carbo but also on 3 others so don’t know which one is giving me the side effects! Just listen to your body and rest when you can xx
Highlighted

Hello everyone I never thought I had be back here again. 😭😭😭Less than 2 years after TNBC diagnosis, surgery, FECT 6 cycles + 4 weeks radiotherapy. A routine check in June this year picked up TNBC with lymph nodes mets was back 😡I started Carboplatin today. I feel rough any tips. 😘

Hi everyone
I’m glad to see that most are experiencing minimal side effects! I’m different to you ladies as I’m on TCHP and OMG it has hit me like a ton of bricks! I slept all weekend and then have not been off the toilet since and on a positive have lost 7lb this week!!!

FEC-T was kind to me so whilst you all feel able to do things I would encourage you to do it but listen to you bodies as the T side is not so kind!

I’m having T at moment and my mouth feels like someone else’s! I have lost taste and due to soreness I have reverted to being a baby and currently living on mushed up food such as mashed potatoes and beans followed by ice cream!

The weather is not helping and whilst I shouldn’t complaint about our glorious british summer I wish at the moment it would FEC down a bit so I can sleep at night lol

Hair is still on head but know within next week or so it will slowly depart but as I always look for the positive at least I don’t need to worry about my legs or bikini line!

Take care ladies Love Colista xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi willie
Just wanted to say that I love you're writing style. You always make me chuckle.
Have you thought about writing a blog....? Just a thought.
Keep cool ladies and drink plenty of water.
Sue xx
Highlighted

Just checking in! 

Day 6 of FEC-T Cycle #2 and all's well. 

I still feel exactly the same as I did before any poison.  Only balder.  And fatter.  So, I guess not the same at all then?    But nothing bad, and that's good.    I had swollen ankles a couple of days last week and I've put on 2kg.  The nurses told me it's water retention but it's not.  It's ice cream retention, I can't get it down me quick enough.  Solero exotics.  Farmfoods bargain choc ices.  Ben & Jerry peanut butter on offer in Morrisons.   Lidl Madagscan vanilla.  The ultimate - Mackies Scottish dairy vanilla.      

I've had a couple of short and disturbed nights' sleep, but hasn't everyone?  It could be the post-poison steroids but the heat is not helping. 

I'm managing to do as many steps as before, 20k on Sunday, 10k before work this morning with the dog.   I'm working 9-5 - what a way to make a living! - five days a week (poison day excepted).   Not enough though to cancel all that bloody ice cream.   I'm going to freeze my gym membership and subscribe to Les Mills On Demand at home on the telly.   When it cools down!

My head is not totally bald yet, it's covered in 'bum fluff', still holding on to some of it.  I haven't plucked up courage to go naked at home when anyone is in, I'm just not ready yet.  I'm wearing scarves and bandanas and my head is boiling. 

I'm trying not to tempt fate by thinking this is going okay so far.  I know it's a fragile thread and can snap at any time and I'm only just into the second cycle.  However, the nurses called me yesterday to see how I was after the weekend and they said they didn't know who was more surprised by how well I'm doing, them or me.   I have, obviously, had the same thought as others - does this mean it's not working?   The loss of my hair is showing something's working though.  I hope.

I can see varying degrees of SE's being experienced by you all.   I hope you're all doing okay. 

We can do this.

Willie xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Dutchie welcome aboard 

Highlighted

Good luck Dutchie. It will be interesting to hear how your treatment compares to the UK. Kxx
Highlighted

Thanks Karen x
Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I am also a July starter: Wednesday July 25 will be the start of my PCT Pertuzumab. My treatment will take place in Amsterdam. Will try the cold cap and also started the 48 hrs before fasting (to be continued until 24hrs following the chemo). This should make side effects more manageable or so I hope.

Will keep you posted, good luck to all 🍀🍀🍀

Dutchie

Highlighted

Hi Beckett,

Not had that from chemo but get it from coeliac try peppermint tea maybe, might be a bit of water retention too with drinking lots of fluid and the heat 🤔
I sometimes use rennie deflatine but check it’s ok to try first just in case. Hope you are still doing well 👍🏻

Karen
X
Highlighted

Hi guys.
Anyone else feel really bloated? Had the steroids for 3 days but finished them yesterday.
Any tips?
B x
Highlighted

@Kip @Karen942 I was just about to post a note to the same effect -- a quote from Hunter S. Thompson that I refer to when I'm feeling down:

“Good news is rare these days, and every glittering ounce of it should be cherished and hoarded and worshipped and fondled like a priceless diamond.”

I rewrite it slightly in my version, to "Good news can be rare these days..."

It helped ensure that I experienced the joy of the butterfly that floated up to our kitchen window as I was washing up the breakfast dishes, and just seemed to hang out with me for a few moments before flitting away.

p.s. Do *not* google to learn more about him or the context in which he wrote it: Gonzo was a dark dude. Take this glittering sentence and let the rest be.)

@Karen942 -- Excellent to hear that the insurance link was helpful! Keeping that bookmark handy. Travel insurance for the US is a nightmare (naturally, as the US healthcare system is a nightmare); last year it cost me a bundle for a 3-week trip because I'd had a pulmonary embolism, even though I was still on anticoagulants for it. Not looking forward to pricing my next visit to my parents, whenever I can manage it.

Drink lots of water today! (Reminding myself, too.)

Highlighted

Hey Kip ,

Good luck today with your chemo. On a down day it’s easy to think bad thoughts and get tearful over anything and everything. I read a post on here which said ‘try and find beauty is something every day’ the sunshine , even tho it’s a nightmare we will all have freezing heads soon enough 🤣. Chin up we can do this and come through it better people than we where before , albeit less a few bits and pieces along the way!
On the insurance front I have found the link to that company brilliant , had to ring and tell them everything including all the names of each chemo drug and all the pills etc after each one , plus existing stuff I have such as thyroid and coeliac disease. All in all one year travel worldwide including cruises is £160 , excess is £75 for any illness , if cancer related it’s an extra £100. I think it’s based on overall health , age etc but well worth a try. Single trip to Europe was only £39 plus the excess again but going to go for a year to save ringing all the time as there is quite a wait , not surprising as they are going through a lot of info. Hope this is useful to others.
Having a good day got 4 hours sleep last night but steroids stop later today 🙄

Hope you are all keeping well , stay cool 😎

Best wishes

Karen
X
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Karen, I'll definitely take the bags then
Highlighted

Hi Reddi,

Many thanks for the insurance link I have tried to sort an online quote but it wouldn’t work will ring them tomorrow 😊. I see from the June thread you have shaved your hair shorter , well done , I did mine well my OH did and it was ok after a day or so , wigs and hats doing ok but the heat isn’t helping ...
Beckett this is great news and does not mean it’s not working we all have different reactions and you are just lucky. Pleased for you doing so well 👍🏻. Shame about your holiday , it’s rubbish isn’t it having to cancel , there will be many more to come 😘

Had to ring the hospital and describe heartburn earlier , never had it before and wanted to take something for it , annoying isn’t it 😳. Turns out my husbands tablets will do the trick omerperizol ? She didn’t tell me to take one but said they will prescribe me some as I shouldn’t take his but going to 😏. Four hours sleep last night 2.30 6.30 am, still going and wide awake , feel a crash and burn few days ahead ... the joys of this .

Kip cruising is great , I did the month one over Xmas to the Caribbean and loved it. Picnicked at the Royal Victoria Park today and watched lots go out , can’t wait to go again. Get on there as a bag carrier it’s easy get out of the taxi and hand them to the porter 🤣

Have a fab day tomorrow all , look after yourselves 😘

Will update on the insurance when I have spoken to them.

Karen
X
Highlighted

I should have been flying to Madiera on 27th July! Had to cancel...gutted xx