cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2018 Chemo Starters

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: July 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi Beckett ❤️❤️Try Epsom salt baths, a lot of us had Epsom salt baths to help with aches and pains on the chemo journey 😘😘but also mention it to your onc at your next appointment, they will be able to reassure you about everything 😘😘keep 💪💪💪💪you are doing amazing ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Has anyone sufferred with aching back? Top, shoulders? I know it could be the injections but worried it might be a sign that the bugger has spread
B x

Hi all,
Hope we are doing ok. I've finished the first lot of of drugs and begin the next weekly on the 21st. Not sure how I'll be but only way is forward! I couldn't stand the cold cap this time so I need to embrace the baldness!
Starting to worry over the surgery now as that is moving ever closer.
B xx
ktk

Hi I agree with Kip. My first T last week. Initially I was fine, no hangover or nausea symptoms, so first couple of days ok. However I have been far more fatigued this time. Everything is an effort. Even a short trip out means straight home to bed. I had constipation for a week then diarrhoea , oh joy! However, I have slept more and am beginto feel better. Less indigestion, but fuzzy mouth and no taste so little appetite!

It is worth remembering that it affects everyone differently and Kip’s and my experiences may be very different from yours. Kxx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Yean havent had athe fuzzh head so much. Bit flu feeling for a couple of days though, oh and hot flushes, not sure id theh de chemo or menopause

Thanks Kip, like to be prepared with relevant medication if I can- already have stuff for constipation, diaroheaa, mouth ulcers and plenty of painkillers - used in varing degrees on FEC so hopefully should be good to go!

Disappointed to hear marmite may be come absent from my life.

Does the fuzzy head feeling go - bit I have hated most on FEC.

Lal
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lal, Im from June chemo thread and have had 1 x T so far (having had 3 x FEC) and have to say the side effects are very different .  I have had no sickness (which is good) but have had a horrible mouth for ages, tastes and feels slimy and most food tastes like carpet!   Even marmite.. boo hoo... and I'm a lover.   Another common SE seems to be bone pain, sometimes severe, although I haven't suffered with that ... yet.!  Also constipation (seems to be caused by the extra steroids you get given) and/or diarrohear or asit is referred to "the T Trots" - again I haven't had that yet.  Your fingernails/toenails can hurt to, like they've been jammed in a car door and you can get tingling pins and needles in them.. mine is minimal at present and I am day 18 of cycle 2.   Other than that I feel pretty good this week, despite a stay in hospital last week due to neutropenia.   I would say overall the side effects are not worse but definately different than FEC although as usual everyone is different and as always they do pass.   Oh and a  bonus.... my hair is growing back now FEC finished.. although have discovered hair growing on my toes too.... grrrrr

Kip xx

Well I have now discovered the downside of having chemo at home. Had 4th FEC yesterday but nurse couldn't canulate me - mainly cos she was avoiding vein used on last three cycles as that is giving me pain. Their protocol is that after three attempts they have to "phone a friend ' to do it but no friends in the area. She had to leave me and come back at 3pm with another nurse who took 2 attempts and ended using sane vein but further up arm away from pain so fingers crossed it doesn't make things worse.
Upshot is that I will probably have a port for the T part - just trying to sort it out.

Slightly amazed that even though I didn't get my steroids until 3.30pm I managed 4 hrs sleep normally only get that when I take them at noon- though one of my nurses has recommended taking nytol ( or boots cheaper equivilient) so don't know whether that is actually helping - could be all on the mind but I don't care.

Hoping to get away for long weekend in cornwall on my good weekend before the dreaded T starts- really want to see the sea as rather landlocked in Bucks. Now cant book it yet until I find out about port fitting - nurse says they prefer to do it on 3rd week of cycle when bloods are back up.☹

Grumbles over- apart from what I am calling the s**t week after chemo I haven't felt too bad ( apart from arm and being more tired after 3rd cycle)
Debuted my wig at nieces wedding - first time wearing it in public- now wear it more often as I am more used to it - and I managed to stay at the wedding until 9.3pm.
Have also found myself slightly addicted to cheese and marmite biscuits ( apologies to marmite haters) went to a food fair at weekend and they are amongst the many indulgent food items we bought - won't be going on the scales for a while. Have found a recipe on line and persuaded daughter to make me some- cant wait!

How is everyone faring - anyone hit T yet? Have to say I don't like the list of SE's my medical people keep telling me even they say ' you might get...'

Take care all

Lal
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi ladies im from june chemo, and on cycke 4 of 6.  Ive had terrible oral thrush this cycle and ulcers and slimy tongue, definitely speak to helpline/gp early on to get somethingn for it as i think i let it get bad before i did and paid the price.  

Spoiler

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies, how is the hair now? Sorry this is a bit late, but I never wash mine and haven’t lost it despite the sore head XX

Thanks ktk.
Got a drs apt later. May be I'll lose some weight! Ha
Becky x
ktk

Hi Becky. I get the stuck in the throat thing too. To the point where I can barely swallow. I mentioned it to my oncologist last week and he gave me Omeprazole, which is for indigestion I think. I’ve had 3 x FEC. First T on Wednesday. Kx

Morning
Yes, I phoned yesterday and they think, as do I, that it's thrush so off to the drs this morning. Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies, I’d ring your units just to check it’s not oral thrush or something just to be on the safe side, they may give you some fluconzole or difflam, please keep safe, you don’t always get a temperature when things are going on so rapid response line always 1st port of call, they would rather you ring and keep safe 💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi Becky,

I have the throat thing too , 8 days into cycle three of FEC so maybe it is a side effect. My neck feels swollen too but it isn’t to look at , I am going to mention it at the next appointment as had it before. I take a clarityn a day as think it might be an allergic reaction 🤷‍♀️.
This cycle wiped me out even on the steroids slept for days 2-5 , couldn’t function at all so maybe a tweak is required. Changing to T now anyway so will see what joys that brings. Tempted to do the fasting , willing to try anything to help this treatment pass more easily...
Hope you are ok , heading for the good weeks now thank goodness😊.
Hope you enjoyed Liverpool , my home town , such a lovely vibe for a night out isn’t it.
Best wishes

Karen

Hi ladies,
Def feel like I'm coming out of the otherside of round 2. That said, I have a feeling like something is stuck in my throat and mouth ulcers. My temp is ok. Should I be worried about the throat thing? I can swallow just feels like when you have eaten too fast and it gets stuck!
Becky x
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Shi will do although can't imagine anything to harmful in it as all good stuff but good advice to check! Just to eager to get hair xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi kip, we didn’t use the lush shampoo till we’d finished treatments, just check with your team it’s ok to use darling just to be on safe side. Also we rubbed Jamaican black castor oil on our bonces too after treatment finished and that helped with hair regrowrh too, again please check with your team it’s ok to use ✨✨✨✨💕💕💕💕Shi xx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Shi, just wanted to say thanks for tip re the nice shampoo bar from Lush (Called "new"). Although its still early stages I am using it and have some hair and it really does make my head feel nice if nothing else... appreciate the tips! xx Kip
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello B, I'm also a  June chemo starter and like many others always have a downer when I come of the steroids.  Lots of tears and negativity which is hard to deal with but it does pass again after a couple of days, although the hubby usually pays the price at the time!  I am on cycle 4 (my first T after 3 x FEC) and the steroids have been increased, 8 a day for three days (starting day before chemo) and then 4 a day for three days but some hospitals don't seem to give the extra ones?  So who knows what will happen when all that lot comes out of my system and it is effecting my sleeping but the nurse said next cycle I can play around a bit with the coming off and ween them out slower if needs be.  Hang in there, the days do pick up again, thats what gets me though.. big hugs

Hi B

I had one lot given in a drip and then 3 days of 8mg first time around.  Was suicidal 2 days after I finished taking them!  Cycle 2 I had the drip again but reduced dose of 4 mg given by IV then just one day of 8mg.  Was sick but didn’t experience a downer. Third time I had 4 mg in the IV then 2mg for three days,  id seen a different oncologist who suggested I took them to stop the vomiting.  It was the worst of both worlds. I was so sick but also felt a huge rage for about 2 days after I stopped taking them.  I intend to ask if I can go without except for the IV when I have my last dose of AC on Tuesday.  I’ve been told I have to have steroids on doxataxol as they prevent allergic reactions.  Not sure how I’ll cope!  I suppose it’s good to remember that the downer doesn’t last forever but I truly understand how difficult it is to bounce back.  I hope you can have some really good days before your next cycle.  Take Care xx

Thanks cdc
How long do you have the steriods for? I have them the day of my treatment and 2 days after. Stopped crying now but i haven't bounced back like i did with the first round.
Well, onwards and upwards!
B
Xx

Hi Jo
I’m also on the June thread and I had a similar experience to ktk. The sore scalp did indeed herald the shedding of most o my hair so I too got mine shaved off. It’s much less hassle. I get by with head scarves and I’m actually enjoying finding new styles and ways to tie them. I’m also getting more confident about being bald now and most people don’t seem to bat an eyelid and as I can’t see myself I forget I have no hair! I’m due to have cycle four next week. I still have my eyelashes and eyebrows plus, annoyingly my leg hair! Was rathe hoping it would go so I don’t have to shave it!
I used paracetamol ad ibuprofen for the pain but was told to check my temperature before taking anything just in case of a fever.
Take care and hope you feel better soon.
Clare x

Hi Becket
I have an extremely emotional downer each chemo cycle which my oncologist believes is, in part, due to coming off the steroids. Obviously it’s an emotional time anyway but for me there is also a chemical element. It’s worth mentioning to your medical team next time you see them. I’m trying to weigh up the steroids boosting the anti-nausea effect of other medication with the extremely negative feelings and my team are trying to work out the best way to reduce this, I’m sending you huge hugs. I’m currently trying to get through on fewer steroids and it seems to be helping my mood to so,e extent. By week’s two and three I do feel so much better. Hope you do too. Good luck xx
ktk

Hi Jo. The soreness is a sign of shedding I’m afraid. Try some paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve the pain. The day I lost a load on the shower I decided to shave the rest. I have had 3 cycles and there is still a bit of stubble. If you have a look at the June thread you will see our rogue’s gallery!!

Hi all,

I’m from the August starters but just thought I would jump across to you guys to seek advice about my extremely sore scalp!

Im on day 15 of round 1 and  my scalp is really sore, esp to touch but it just seems sore all the time. A bit like sun burn or a really sensitive skin.

My hair is still in tack but I think it has got a lot thinner and my centre parting seems to be a lot wider than it ever used to be, bit the hair loss isn’t really noticeable to others.

is the sore scalp a sign of a mass shedding of hair? 

Any tips on easing the pain?

Thanks

jo. X

Hi Beck,

Chin up love these days pass and we get back on track. You are entitled to weepy days they are sometimes needed too and make you feel better 😘.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes

Karen
X

Hi all
Reaction to 2nd round has left me very weepy! Cant seem to stop!
B x

Hello ladies

Can I interest any of you in a game to help us combat chemo brain????? It's on this forum in the coffee lounge /chat and games section and is called word association again. I've been trying to play but it only gets s very occasional other visitor and it's not much fun playing against yourself

I think this link might take you to it
https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chat-and-games/WORD-ASSOCIATION-AGAIN/td-p/159964

Hope to see you over there: Let's get that gray matter pumping 😁🙌😵

Sue xx

Morning.
2nd cycle of chemo for me today. Hair still falling out but not patchy yet so will use the cold cap again today.
B x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry the someone like you service on bccf, sorry that’s predictive text gremlins out and about 😘😘💕💕✨✨✨shi xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi klairee how have you got on this morning darling 😘😘also don’t forget the someone ladies key you service on here, the bccf can put you in touch with someone who can listen if you don’t want to share everything on here darling, the 👭👭👭❤️❤️❤️❤️Is everywhere for you if you need it, you don’t ever have to feel alone 💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Hi Ladies,
Our mood swings are so unpredictable! I was low yesterday just having to go to the hospital for bloods. I suppose it makes me realise that it is really happening to me and round 2 this Friday. As I've been well and having 3 weeks between each I often feel like there's nothing wrong and pretend a is normal. Hair has begun to fall out from yesterday too. Had a little week this morning but onwards and upwards! Off to Liverpool for the day/night with friends so that's a nice distraction.
Hope you all have a good day.
Becky x
ktk

Hi Klairee I use E45 shower emollient and then lotion after. I also have some Moo Juice that I was given. I love my bald head and it is so much cooler in this weather. Could it be shaving rash? I needed to shave for a week or so but now I don’t. I’ll proba shave when it starts to grow until I can I think there is decent coverage, but I will keep it really short for a while. Maybe dye it funky colours! Xx

Hi Klairee,

I had a really red and flaky scalp and have been using Weleda hair tonic , it cleared it up in no time and makes it feel lovely and cool in this heat. It’s a natural product with rosemary so is gentle on your head.

Hope you are ok and have a better day tomorrow 😘

Best wishes

Karen

Thanks Sh 😘 i’ll call them tomorrow and see if I get hold of the beauty despite cancer kit.....having a real low day today 😢😢
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Klairee😘😘sorry your scalp is having a breakout, phone your unit to see what they suggest darling. Have you got a silk pillowcase? I found that helped be more gentle on scalp and I also used the beauty despite cancer scalp care kit and that worked for me, but please ring your unit, it will know what to suggest for you 😘😘they have seen it all before beautiful and are there to help you navigate through everything 💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Day 5 after 2nd chemo and my bald head is having a break out of which feels like ache ☹️

Hi Becky and ladies
Re diet as I was originally dx 2 half years ago I did Alter my diet slightly! I had always eaten plenty of veg and fruit and I exercised! I did love sweets and alcohol though and that was something I didn’t really stop just cut down on! Now I eat very little sweets and sugar and very rarely eat processed food and try and follow Scott baptie and slimming world meals not so much for los My weight but eating healthily!
I try to walk at least 10000 steps a day which I don’t always achieve and I drink loads less but not cut out completely as I firmly believe everything in moderation and I also want to enjoy life!
After dx I took lots of supplements including aspirin, turkey tail, Adcal, omega 3, turmeric, flaxseed, chia seeds and yet 2half years later I get a new primary!!
I think mine is deffo gene based even though I’ve had 15 tested and their all negative! You do what you can to reduce the risk! But you still need to enjoy life
Have s good week ladies I’m off for my 2nd Chemo so next week I’ll be on the chemo bed 😘

Hi ladies ,

Well I survived the cruise despite the drs saying they didn’t want me to travel with no real issues . Managed to get a septic finger from a jab off a staple which I guess proves we have a low immunity but it cleared up after 3 or 4 days.
Norway was beautiful and very tranquil which provided a very chilled out week. I wore my wig every day nobody knew I was going through chemo so we had a non cancer week which was great and I forgot about it for much of the time👍🏻
Not sure I will get away again now until after the new year so it was worth the risk...
Hope you are all doing well , preparing for round three on Friday , back to the merry go round of appointments this week.
Hair has now all gone and I am happier with the uniform all over baldieness , not something I ever thought I would say but there it is 🤣

Take care and best wishes

Karen
X
ktk

Re school, i was fine with the younger kids but it was my year group I couldn’t cope with. I felt I was letting them down. I did go to their prom (which I had organised anyway!). It was the day after I lost my hair so nowhere to hide !! Becky, you shouldn’t be put back in the classroom full time. You are can negotiate your return and your timetable. Also returning won’t effect your sick pay as it is calculated over the duration of your illness.

Re diet I did cut out sugar and white carbs to begin with but as my appetite has changed I find the odd ice cream creeping in! In general I am eating loads better and drinking less alcohol. The latter also linked to less stress from not being at school.

The fishing is real fly fishing and fantastic. I love it. Do check out what is available in your area. Your BCN should be able to point you in the right direction.

Has any one altered their diet to fight this?
I'm trying to eat healthy and I'm told cutting out sugar is helpful.
I'm having fruit and veg smoothie each morning and of course have cut out wine (which is a great loss to me! Ha).
Becky xx

Oops pressed post too quick anyways just wanted to say 2nd chemo going well. 1 day in, no se’s and feel better than 1st chemo, not at all spaced out this time. I have some injections now to take from day 5 to boost white blood cells so hopefully no more neutropenic episodes....but lucilky I must have caught it early as being neutropenic for me was just like having a cold and being in hospital for it....I think I got away very lightly. Anyways take care all XX

Hi Ladies,

Thought I check in again....been a while again seems to be a trend for me.

Stayed in hospital for 4 days after being diagnosed as neutropenic (I am on EC chemo....is that the red ones I think so? and then have 1 white in chemo. In my 5th session my chemo changes to biological which I think is stronger.) Whilst in hospital I stayed on a ward with two lovely ladies who had different cancers to me but we talked loads, had a good laugh and a couple of tears but it was so nice to talk to others.
I went back to hospital on Thursday for 2nd chemo and visited one of the ladies who was still there and the other lady had been discharged but I am planning to visit her next week.

Hair is gone so for me cold cap did not work...started thinning on day 15 after 1 st Chemo so went back down to the barbers who shave it all off...I now keep it trim with husbands beard trimmer but he is desperate to get a wet bic shave on it 😂 so no cold cap for me on Thursday 2nd....just hope I keep my thin pitiful eyebrow so I have some to draw over and my lashes. I did try a scarf last week for one day but I found people’s reactions towards me awkward but without a scarf I mainly got ignored....so I am embracing the baldness 🤣 and my kids keep telling me not to be embarrassed which make me strong ( in some ways for such little people they Have grown up so much....the eldest had her beautiful locks cut into a lopsided bob which looks amazing....can we post pics on here? not worked out how UK do it

Hi K
I'm chemo first then surgery and rad. I've been told the same about not being in school whilst on chemo - all those pesky germs from pubescent teenagers! Ha!
I was hoping I'd be able to go back between ending chemo and having the surgery. Was it too much? I do worry about being out of the classroom for such a long time. Feels really odd that I won't be going back in September.
I actually went for a run yesterday for the first time in months! Well, I say run...it was a walk/Jog but it's a start and I'm going again this morning.
Fly fishing? Is that actual fly fishing or something else?
I need to book on some of these courses.
I'm having my middle 2 grandchildren today (I have 5 in total) and we are off to the beach for the day.
Hope all you ladies are ok.
Becky x
ktk

How Becky. I am a teacher too! I was diagnosed at Easter and thought I would go back after the hols, before I had surgery in May. Well, I taught one lesson and thought no way!! School has been very supportive. I did go back for a couple of weeks between surgery and chemo, which was fine. I’ve been told I can’t be in school until chemo is over, then I have rads so that will take me up to Christmas. I am looking to book a holiday for January, so maybe I’ll go back at Feb half term or even Easter. Money will be tight, but I am enjoying being stress free!!

Today I booked my LGFB session for the end of August, and LifeKitchen for September. I hope I am well enough to go fly fishing again on Sunday. Check out Flyfishingforlife to see if it happens in your area.
Kx

Hi Lassies!

For those of you booked, or considering booking, or struggling to get booked on to the Look Good Feel Better sessions run in the Macmillan centres in our various hospitals ....

On Saturday, I went to the No.7 counter in my local Boots as I heard they offer make up services for those in our select club.    I booked a slot for Tuesday at the till and received an email confirmation.  I went yesterday and was looked after by a beautiful girl.   I explained that while I still had eyebrows now, they might not stay the course and I wanted some advice on replicating them when they go.  

I asked if she is involved in the LGFB sessions but she hasn't been able to get on the rota as the local co-ordinator here in Derby works in Boots (on the Clarins counter) and has lots of volunteers from the various cosmetic companies in the store.  She explained that No.7 offer free no-pressure appointments, bookable online or in-store.  If you feel self-conscious, they'll take you to a private area away from the central shop floor.   She encouraged me to come back whenever I wanted, appointment or not.   She couldn't be lovelier and there was no pressure to buy at all.    She said she'd noticed me on Saturday but didn;t want to approach me as some people are very sensitive about it.   I'd have been okay, happy even, but it's nice that they're so awake to it eh?

They have a handy gizmo that matches your skin tone to the most appropriate foundation colour and I have to say the base she used for me was possibly the nicest I've ever had on.  Really nice, I'll be buying it later I think.   I did buy some Eyelure eyebrow templates to use if they do go, just to give me a head start at getting a decent shape, only £3. 

I've managed to get a LGFB session booked for October - it wasn't easy to get in, but that's another saga.  So if you can't wait 6 months for an appointment, head to your local Boots.   The girls all have MacMillan badges on. 

Willie  

Morning.
I sat in the garden yesterday for an hour and burnt! I burn easily anyway - curse of being a red head but not usually that easily.
Hope everyone is ok. I'm a teacher so currently on my summer holidays. I can't imagine trying to work whilst all this going on so I take my metaphorical hat off to all of you still working.
Becky x

Hi Willie
Not sure what Lal is having but when I had FEC-T I was having 8 cycles and it depends on your oncologist as to whether you have 6 or 8 and they take into account size of tumour node involvement the type of BC etc! I was Triple Negative first time round so my onc wanted me to have full amount of 8 cycles
After 5 cycles and a bout of neutrapenic sepsis my inc reduced the dose and I continued then with the remaining cycles
Hope this helps 😃

Hi Willie

It's was my nurse on my first chemo ( I am having it at home and she had a trainee with her so I learnt quite a bit) who said my E ( the red one) was lower only 75 instead of 100 - whatever the measure is . Not entirely sure why I am having 8 rounds originally onco said 6 or 8 depending how tumour reacts - keep getting told it's rather large ( 6x 6 cm) but when it came to chemo he had written me up for 8. Not sure about the other drugs as we were discussing the nasty red one at the time.

Hair is bane of my life - i am describing it as action man style fuzz with bald patches - it looks a mess and I still leave a trail where ever I go - reluctant to do a full scalping in case of a) going too close and b) being more uncomfortable when it falls out.

Apart from being a bit more tired than usual every thing else is ok - back working from home and going into office tomorrow as it's start of my "good ' week before it all begins again. Have reduced my hours- only working on a pc but finding concentrating quite tiring.

Lal