63389members
333530posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2019 chemo starting

Re: July 2019 chemo starting

Enjoy your frozen grapes 🍇 Tasty and refreshing and keeps your mouth cool so hopefully no ulcers. What's not to like? Hope your treatment goes well.

I'm a teacher so was told to stay well away from school! Just soooooo frustrating because I've already been off 3 months since I had my mastectomy in May and I was hoping to be back in work October half term. I am now already a month behind schedule as missed so many chemos. Probably looking at a January return at this rate. 

AWW

Hi LucyLump, 

All the best with your chemo this afternoon. 

Please what does frozen grapes help with?

Cheers.. 

Oh Dot it is a long haul for you but you will get there. Work is a difficult issue. Part of me misses it but part of me actually enjoys not working on the good days. Taking my frozen grapes with me this afternoon. They are gorgeous. Xx

Hi Lucy,

I should have been half way through my 12 sessions today but I'm only 2/12 now. Hey ho! Just delays going back to work. Why am I even worried about that? 

So pleased for you Dot! I am back tomorrow for chemo 3. Looking forward to being half way. Hope everyone is OK. Xx

Thank you. 

Frozen red grapes are gorgeous 😁 and soooooo refreshing. Enjoy!

@BOD2019 wrote:

Frozen pineapple works too. Now trying grapes. Thanks.  

I take clarity daily or rather supermarket loratadine which is the same drug but cheaper. I knocked it off last cycle and had bone pain. Don’t know how it works  

Hope your liver stays good x

Frozen pineapple works too. Now trying grapes. Thanks.  

I take clarity daily or rather supermarket loratadine which is the same drug but cheaper. I knocked it off last cycle and had bone pain. Don’t know how it works  

Hope your liver stays good x

We do long forward to being poisoned don’t we. Well done x

I had chemo today after missing the last 4!!! Never been so happy to be given some toxins!!!

That is fantastic Bod. Thank you! Xx

Hi LucyLump and all, 

I have had 2 cycles of Taxotel, Carboplatin, Herceptin and Perjeta for HER2 tumour and I felt my lump stop growing after the 1st treatment and shrinking rapidly thereafter. It’s at least half the size it was 6 weeks ago. I have my 3rd treatment tomorrow and hope I won’t be able to feel it soon. Good luck with your treatments. 

Thank you so much Susie. That is really helpful. I am Her2+ and have my 3rd FEC hopefully this Thursday. I will then get my scan shortly after that. Then it should be T plus Herceptin and Perjeta X 3 followed by operation including lymph node clearance and then rads. It sounds a lot but time is whizzing past quickly. In the meantime on my better days I can actually say I am enjoying not being at work! Xx

Hi LucyLump

Just popped in from the February 19 group and saw your post. Trust me, you're not imaginning your lump shrinking☺. I noticed a change after my first round of FEC and a scan after my second indeed showed that it had shrunk and eventually went from 21mm down to 6mm.  I'm TNBC which was only confirmed after surgery. My original biopsy back in December was inconclusive for HER2 pos/neg. I'm on a trial so had 4 rounds of FEC, randomised, followed by lumpectomy and full ANC back in June. I have just had the second of 4 rounds of TC as the FEC didn't destroy all the cancer cells in my nodes. The TC will clear any cells that may have escaped. Next stop rads. We're a chatty group so pop in any time for a chat or to ask any questions. Someone will always get back any of you. This is a journey none of us wanted to be on but we will get through it.❤❤❤❤❤        

I hope I am not imagining this but....it honestly feels like boob lump has reduced in size over the last 2 days. Until a couple of days ago I was thinking no change or worse still bigger but today definitely different. Lymph node feels the same but still it is making me hopeful. Day 17 after FEC 2. Xx

Highlighted

So sorry your chemo is delayed again Dot but so pleased there is no cancer in your liver. That is a relief. Hopefully they can get those levels down soon for you so you can get going with chemo soon too. Xx

AWW

Dot70 sorry for the chemo delay again but yehhhhh to no cancer found in liver.

Hold tight hun, it will surely rain Smiley Happy 

No chemo again today as liver levels still up.
Got results of my liver scan this morning and it shows no cancer. 😁
Does show I have one large gallstone though: 3.5cm but it's mobile. They not sure whether it's that that's causing my ALT level to increase. Being referred to gastro department. It never rains!! Really hoping this is sorted soon so I can carry on with my chemo. Xx

No chemo again today as liver levels still up.
Got results of my liver scan this morning and it shows no cancer. 😁
Does show I have one large gallstone though: 3.5cm but it's mobile. They not sure whether it's that that's causing my ALT level to increase. Being referred to gastro department. It never rains!! Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lucy lump,   I had steroids for three days after chemo with Fec but it changed with the T part and I had 6 a day for 6 days starting the day before chemo.  I found on Fec I took a big dip in mood and energy about 1-2 days after coming off them. But picked up quickly and on T not so much so.   Its hard getting used to all the drugs but I kept a diary to help me remember and to look back on on the next cycle.  I was also advised to take them no later than lunch time as you get a steroid buzz and it effects your sleep,  so took them at breakfast and lunch 

Hi Lucylump, 

I also have 3 days of steroids but starting 24 hours before treatment. I’ve had 2 rounds so far and each time I went from full of energy to very low and tired when I came off then. This time I felt more nauseous so am having Emend anti sickness next week. 

Best wishes everyone 

Morning Lovely Ladies, 

Sorry not been in touch. Am now on day 11 after second FEC and beginning to feel a bit more like me. From day 3 it totally wiped me out with overwhelming tiredness so have been mostly in bed. The first couple of days were Ok thanks to the new sickness meds which made a massive difference so at least that bit was loads better. My taste buds are definitely going now and seem to change throughout the day as in in the morning something will taste awful but by the afternoon it is ok or vice versa. Annoyingly I went and bought what I liked eating after FEC 1 and then discovered I no longer like it. Also had a bit of a problem with constipation. My fault for not taking the Senna they gave me at the hospital when they told me to. Sorted it eventually with the Senna and tinned prunes - thank goodness. Yesterday I tried to go out shopping but ended up sitting in the car but on the plus side I discovered that coffee frappacinos tasted awesome (at least they did then). Am getting my food delivered by Sainsbury's who have some delivery slots that only cost 50p which is well worth it. Any energy better used on other things than in a supermarket. 

Last night I had bone pain and wondered if it was from the pegfilgristam injection which I had a week ago. Seemed a long delay before the bone pain kicked in. I read on another thread that antihistamines help so took one and I have no pain this morning so maybe that worked. 

I was wanting to ask about steroids. At the hospital they give me steroids for 3 days starting the morning after each cycle. Is that what everyone gets or are some hospitals giving out more? I am not a big fan of steroids but am wondering if they help with the tiredness in which case I would ask I think for a few more days. 

Am so sorry to hear so many of you are having such a difficult time with chemo delayed and infections. Hope things get back on track for you soon. Thinking of you all and sending hugs. Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi remember to book your look good feel better sessions with your local Macmillan 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Thanks for the reassurance Shi ... I do appreciate it . Yes am drinking plenty and temp fine at mo , feeling better this evening ... 🤞🏻 I’m over the worse this time ! 

Silverpixie xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi silverpixie 😘sorry to hear you had a trip to casa nhs so soon after starting, glad they’ve sorted you out with some more antisickness meds 👍keep fluids flowing, keep eye on temp and if you feel funny but no temp, ring your unit to check ❤️ As daft as it sounds you will settle into routine and your team have seen it all before and will know what to do to get you through. Sending 👭👭💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Evening ladies,

thought I would just catch up here .Had my first chemo on Monday and boy my body does not like it !! 

admitted to A&E at 2am tues morning and kept in all day while they treated sickness ++++ and dehydration . 

Finally home late tues pm  with stronger anti sickness meds and have been  feeling better today, starting  to eat a bit and been walking in the garden ... this is not a walk in the park is it ? 

Seeing oncologist on 14th so hope they step up and either reduce the dose or up the anti sickness  meds ... hope you ladies are all ok ... we’ve a hard row to hoe here but dare say we’ll get to the end somehow ! Hugs to all xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kaytee they will get your antisickness sorted, they try you on different combinations till they sort it 👍dot, the chemo gives liver a battering, they are taking all precautions and might reduce your dose so your body can cope, all chemo is tailored to you individually so your reduced dose if they go down that route could be someone else’s full dose 💪💪💪keep strong you are all doing amazing 😁😘😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Feeling frustrated. Can't have chemo tomorrow as liver levels are still too high. Levels had been coming down but this week they've gone back up!!! Having a liver scan on Thursday and I'm starting to worry it's spread. My nodes were clear but can it spread by bypassing your nodes? Xx

Morning all

I saw the oncologist yesterday and they have given me the more expensive anti sickness drug so fingers crossed it will work better. 

My appt is at 3.45 but had a call this morning @ 10.40 saying they had moved it to 10.30!! :-) lol anyway all back to 3.45 now for round 2.

Hope your chemo goes well tomorrow.

Xx

Hi Dot,

My chemo plan is EC-T 3 x EC every 3 weeks and then 3 x T every 3 weeks (hoping everything stays on track, the radio and then tamoxifen for 10 years.... but just doing 1 day at a time!

Quite enjoying the no hair part of this, especially in the heat 😎

Hoping your 2nd session goes ahead for you xx

Good morning Helly,

Feel like I'm playing snap with you!!

I had my first chemo on the 10th too but I should have had another 2 since then (weekly paclitaxel x 12). Not been able to have it though as liver levels been too high 😓

My hair started to fall out day 14.

I'm off for bloods this morning and hoping to have cycle 2 (+ herceptin) tomorrow. 

Hope it goes well for us today 🙏

Dot

Good morning all

Just checking in to say Hello and send love to you all.

Chemo 1 went well on 10th July for me overall, was only sick once on the evening of the chemo and felt tired but wierdly my worst days were 6-10, after the steroids finished a felt like I had been drinking therefore unable to drive!

Hair started to fall out on day 14 and hubby gave me a no.2 head shave on day 17 as I was sprinkling hair all over the house which becoming irritating, have not been bothered about the hair loss as I know it will grow back and in all honesty its one less thing to do.

Going for pre chemo bloods this morning and if all is well round 2 is tomorrow!

Trying to take each day as it comes and enjoy the small things i.e. eating nice food and cake, having lots of naps, walking with hubby and our dogs, gentle gardening and lots of crafty days catching up on my crochet and cross stitch projects so generally living a 'mindful' life as best I can

Love Helly

Hi Kaytee, I might trying asking for different anti sickness. Have felt nauseous for 5 days now but no vomiting. Not nice 

take care all 

Hi ladies

I'm from the February group and have seen some of your posts regarding sickness due to FEC. I am fortunate enough to be at a hospital where their mantra is that you should not feel ill during chemo and will chuck everything at you to keep you well. I was given Emend which is expensive but most effective. I had one tablet on chemo day plus one a day for two days. I was also given Ondansetron, two tablets twice a day for two days after chemo day and I was also given Domperidone which I could take as and when required. Since having 4 rounds of FEC I have had surgery (lumpectomy and ANC) and have just commenced 4 rounds of CT (I'm on a trial) and have been given more Domperidone for if I do feel nauseous. Hope things improve for you all and please ask for the meds that will help keep you well. xx

Hi Lucy, glad your 2nd round has gone a lot easier. You're right concerning sickness meds-I think the basic /cheaper ones are given to begin with, but there are better ones if you need them, which you could ask for SilverPixie x

Hi LucyLump

I am so glad to hear that your 2nd round has been easier this time ... gives me hope that if it’s tricky 1st time I can have meds to improve it. Hope you feel stronger as days go on :-) 

Hi Kaytee and Bod, my treatment centre told me they preferred you to eat and clearly encourage you because if you are treated over lunchtime they feed you soup, sandwich and yoghurt. Like you Kaytee I was really sick after eating following first session of Fec (I will never eat a pie again!). Now on day 3 after second session and have not been sick at all thanks to Emend which has made the world of difference. Definitely ask for something better than you had last time. Not being sick has made the world of difference. Although I was only actually sick badly once I spent the next few days anticipating it happening again and that was nearly as bad as actually being sick itself. So all in all second session has been so much better than the first. Still tired but absolutely no sickness and I can eat. Xx

Hi bod2019

My appt is not until 3.45 so I will have to have something to eat during the day. Last time I had a small meal after, but I definitely wont be doing that again as was promptly sick!!

Hi Ladies

thanks Debbie I’m already planning how to approach my next round of chemo.

Has anyone tried having an empty stomach ie. not eating after about 6pm the night before chemo?

Have heard that it can reduce some of the sickness side effects as the chemo gets flushed out of the system more quickly rather than hanging around in the tummy 

best wishes to everyone 

Hi lucylump glad it went ok yesterday and great that you are feeling better already. I will make sure I discuss sickness with oncology on Monday. I am starting to get nervous about round 2 now.

X

Morning everyone!

So sorry to hear your chemo had to be stopped MBJ and also really sorry to hear of your worries Dot. Hope you are back on track soon. Kaytee I hope you are getting used to your new hair. I have two chemo scarves and am finding it so strange that people don't recognise me. I am certain they are not avoiding me it is just that my face looks so different with no hair which is weird. I also have a sunhat which fits closely (£8.75 in Joules sale) and actually that makes me look more like me so I may try going out in that. 

So yesterday I had second round of FEC-T and so far am feeling much better than first time. I had new anti-sickness meds (Emend/Aprepitant) in addition to the ones I took before (Ondansetron). I did feel nauseous through the night but I was not sick and am feeling lots better than last time plus I have already eaten Malt Loaf and Baby Bel cheese. Last time I really struggled to eat anything for 4 days. Am feeling sleepy but that's Ok. 

Thinking of you all and sending hugs. Xx

Hi BOD2019

I did find that my side effects ran a similar pattern each cycle.  I did have the odd different one now and again but i looked on the forums and found that some others had that side effect too.  It is the emotional side with me that is all over the place but that too is felt by a lot of the ladies on the forums.

This site is so good for information and to connect with people that are going through the same things, and they help through sharing their experiences.  

Take care

Debi

MBJ

Hi Dot70

Hi I am from the February 19 thread. Sorry to hear of your issues with chemo. I too had a big problem after my first FEC I developed neutropenic sepsis after six days. I had to give it up as my risk of having it again was too high. I am now taking Letrozole as I am Er+ . But the worry of not carrying on is always in my mind. But we have to live for today too and the benefits have to be less than the risk to life to be worth carrying on. 

I hope your issues get resolved so you can get back on the chemo bus. X

Hi Debi Thanks for your imput. Did you find your side effects were similar each time?

BOD

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️❤️😘😘everything does take a battering on Chemo, it’s not unusual to have delays with one thing or another and as kip says you want to stamp your feet and scream give me the chemo now 😤😤but the delays are there to protect you as you know so your teams can get you through your treatment plans safely 😘😘frustrating but you will all get through together 💪💪💪keeping each other 💪💪👭👭💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hope your chemo went okay Lucy. Interested to know how you get in with different ant sickness pills. 

What pills are you other ladies taking? Does it depend on different treatments? x

Hi Kip,

I just spent ages replying and it's disappeared!!

In a nushell:

Thank you for encouragement.

Didn't want chemo until told can't have it. Now I'm desperate for it!!!

It's my ALT levels that causing most concern. They are going down though.

Good to hear from others who are going through similar crap or have been through it and can offer advice. 

Thank you all xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Dot, I had one cycle when my liver was too high, but eventually I got the chemo and got back on track.  Its amazing isn't it , we so don't want chemo but when we get told we can't have it .. boy we want it.  You'll be fine, its our poor old livers which take a bashing from the drugs.

Lucylump - sorry to hear the shave has happened, but lovely your little boy thinks its cool.   Its a very emotional moment, so be strong, and enjoy having no hair in this heat.  its lovely to be able to just pop your head under the tap to call down!

Kip

x

Hi ladies

My new haircut is ok. The kids enjoyed doing it and my son (who's 3) thinks it's cool that my hair is like his lol. It is a very strange look for me and I was more emotional than I thought I would be. Been online shopping for a range of hats which was fun. Too hot to wear at the mo tho!

Hope your chemo goes well today Lucy, and let me know if the anti sickness works better, I was also sick the first night so seeing oncology on Monday ready for next session on Tuesday. 

Hi Dot sorry to hear your news, hope your liver picks up and you can continue soon. X

Hugs to all x

Oh Dot I am so sorry to hear your news. I really hope your chemo will get going for you again soon. Hair falling out is not easy. Mine has nearly all gone now and I am finding it odd that people do not recognise me! Thank you for coming to visit us Debi. It is really helpful. Bod I am not sure what my anti sickness meds were but I think they were the same as yours. I am getting new ones today though which hopefully should work better. Hope everyone is managing OK. Kaytee how was your haircut? Xx

@Dot70 wrote:

Couldn't have chemo again yesterday so again deferred. Liver levels are coming down but oncologist wants them even lower before continuing. Said may try reducing dosage. So, only had one of my weekly paclitaxel and missed next 2 and last night my hair started falling out!!! 😪 Have to admit, I did cry. I'm ok this morning. Just got to suck it up but how ironic would it be if I end up bald after 1 cycle and can't have any more chemo?!!

Couldn't have chemo again yesterday so again deferred. Liver levels are coming down but oncologist wants them even lower before continuing. Said may try reducing dosage. So, only had one of my weekly paclitaxel and missed next 2 and last night my hair started falling out!!! 😪 Have to admit, I did cry. I'm ok this morning. Just got to suck it up but how ironic would it be if I end up bald after 1 cycle and can't have any more chemo?!!